PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Conversion - Examiner Test Own Student

S-Works
29th May 2018, 10:56
If a student converting from a current and valid ICAO (FAA) licence with 1300hrs does any training with the Examiner can the Examiner still conduct the test? As there is no required training I assume the answer is yes but I cant find anything definitive so seek the assistance of my wise peers!!

chrisbl
29th May 2018, 20:55
FCL 1005 is what you are looking for. You will also find it covered in para 6.2 of IN2016/004.

There is probably very little actual training required so for such an experienced person, perhaps just a mock skills test to ensure no cock ups. so it would be easy to breach the 25% limit and fall foul of the recommendation for test rule as well. Remember one of the questions for the candidate in the briefing is " do you understand what is required and have you practised all the manoeuvres".

CB

MrAverage
30th May 2018, 08:49
Surely the 25% rule only applies to ab initio?

BillieBob
30th May 2018, 09:01
Surely the 25% rule only applies to ab initio?No, it applies to any skill test or assessment of competence. As for the case of converting an ICAO licence, logic would dictate that, since there is no required flight instruction, the provisions of FCL.1005 would not apply. However, different competent authorities interpret this requirement in different ways and with varying logic. Consequently, the OP would be wise to obtain a written statement from the relevant authority before attempting the skill test.

S-Works
30th May 2018, 09:26
Its UK CAA. Anyone tried getting a ruling from the on anything these days........ :)

chrisbl
30th May 2018, 20:18
if you have done any work with him or are signing him off for the test then you are FCL,1005'd out of it. Rather than delay the test waiting for a ruling, I would play safe and get him another examiner.

Fl1ingfrog
30th May 2018, 20:37
If there is no ruling then there is no rule. What has " do you understand what is required and have you practised all the manoeuvres" got to do with regulation, It's frustrating enough at times without dreaming up even more obstacles.

Even in the 21st century common sense still has a place, use it.

S-Works
30th May 2018, 21:40
if you have done any work with him or are signing him off for the test then you are FCL,1005'd out of it. Rather than delay the test waiting for a ruling, I would play safe and get him another examiner.

Alas you are wrong. CAA responded today and said it’s fine. As no training is Required FCL.1005 does not apply.

chrisbl
7th Jun 2018, 21:57
Alas you are wrong. CAA responded today and said it’s fine. As no training is Required FCL.1005 does not apply.
In that case he is not a student, just a candidate. The Op was about a student.

S-Works
8th Jun 2018, 14:45
In that case he is not a student, just a candidate. The Op was about a student.

Well that was the point of the question...... Is he a student or a candidate when its a no training required conversion under FCL. The CAA have answered and deemed it acceptable.