PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Portugal strike

limahotel
31st Mar 2018, 10:45
Didn't want it to go by unnoticed:

https://www.reuters.com/article/ryanair-strike/update-1-ryanair-cancels-20-portugal-flights-as-cabin-crew-strike-idUSL8N1RB63L

https://www.rte.ie/news/2018/0329/950977-ryanair/

172_driver
31st Mar 2018, 15:14
Thanks for posting!

Respect to them for standing up against the bullies. I recognize much of what's said in the article. The punishment, the arrogance of ignoring your rights, the suspiciousness if you go sick and so on. That attitude has spread outside of Ryanair and prevails in my current airline also - often targeted at the weakest junior cabin crew.

BluSdUp
31st Mar 2018, 19:11
Imagine that!
A strike in Ryanair.

Congratulations to the Portuguese Crew.

The Girls and Boys have guts, how about that FlyBoys!

The Range
4th Apr 2018, 14:20
Flight attendant from Spain refuses flight out of Portugal after being pressured by company. Well done!
Audio is in English

Así presiona Ryanair a tripulantes españoles para cubrir la huelga en Portugal: "Rompería su contrato" | Economía (http://www.elmundo.es/economia/2018/04/04/5ac49862268e3e42478b4591.html)

Avenger
4th Apr 2018, 15:33
She sounded nervous but showed true grit in her decision. I wonder how the Pilot community from RYR feel about perhaps the lowest paid link in the chain standing up to management bullies.. I can't see RYR offering golden handcuff deals to these people.. probably she will get the boot, Its no use trying to reinstate sacked workers, eventually management find a way to drive them out legally with "performance issues'' Lets see how RYR react, secondary support could be in the horizon! the Spanish can be hot blooded when provoked.. and perhaps the other unions could galvanise to boycott the handling of RYR flights?

foxcharliep2
4th Apr 2018, 19:57
Well done for the Spanish FA refusing to fly. That is having guts against being bullied and solidarity towards the Portuguese colleagues.

Marchettiman
4th Apr 2018, 21:10
I think the FA deserves our wholehearted support, I congratulate her. My interpretation of that conversation is that it is a prima face case of bullying of an employee (or contractor). I hope that the "consequences" referred to by Darrel Hughes in that telephone conversation will be widely reported, should there be any.
This example reinforces my view that Ryanair's business ethics are quite simply deplorable.

JPJP
4th Apr 2018, 21:39
The Flight Attendant showed remarkable courage in a very difficult situation. She remained polite and professional. She has my respect.

diple
4th Apr 2018, 21:48
She should have flown if they were making a legal request.
I have a suspicion that it wasn't a legal request in that depending on what the rules are in Portugal it might not be legal for other cabin crew staff to cover for striking Portuguese staff.
They also beat her over the head with her contract and it is not clear to me what her relationship to Ryanair actually is. Is she a Ryanair employee or a contractor employed through a third party. If a third party then why is Ryanair HR calling and not HR in the contracting company. If Ryanair wants to use third party contracting companies then they need to keep their distance from staff who do not work for Ryanair and use the right channel.
The recording is just of interest to us curious busybodies on a forum but the Portuguese Flight Attendants will probably find it quite useful if Ryanair were doing something illegal and coercing staff to break laws of which the staff would be unaware.

maxred
4th Apr 2018, 21:55
The HR director trying to push her into the flight. You will have to accept the consequences. What an outfit!! Well done the FA. Should keep track on this for her ultimate constructive dismissal case

kungfu panda
5th Apr 2018, 05:09
The HR director trying to push her into the flight. You will have to accept the consequences. What an outfit!! Well done the FA. Should keep track on this for her ultimate constructive dismissal case

Wow.....She was fantastic. That shows what pussies the Ryanair Pilots are.

Klimax
5th Apr 2018, 06:06
Ryanair - I'd rather quit flying, than flying for those bastards. I feel truly sorry for anybody having work with them. What a scum company.

Bigpants
5th Apr 2018, 06:11
It could have been a good employer from the start but instead it chose to exploit its people in exchange for a few $ more into O Leary's fist. Now the pilots are finally pushing back. Good job!

Journey Man
5th Apr 2018, 06:18
Now the pilots are finally pushing back. Good job!

How? They capably snatched defeat from the jaws of victory at the last opportunity to reach collective bargaining.

The FAs, on evidence, are fighting back.

His dudeness
5th Apr 2018, 11:27
This lady deserves respect. Well done, ma´m.

So there are some people in RYR with a backbone. What she did, refuse to stab her collegas in the back is really, really great, morally sound behavior.

These HR people are....

Ryanair - I'd rather quit flying, than flying for those bastards. I feel truly sorry for anybody having work with them. What a scum company.

plus 1 !

She should have flown if they were making a legal request.

I think (I could be wrong), this lady is not a lawyer and probably at this stage had no legal representation or consultation.

diple
5th Apr 2018, 11:31
Flight Attendants have little to lose. A FA could get similarly exhausting poor paying jobs elsewhere relatively easily.
Pilots are at the start of a long career where great expense has already been suffered and need to see it through to a point where they have built a career.

SMT Member
5th Apr 2018, 11:35
Flight Attendants have little to lose. A FA could get similarly exhausting poor paying jobs elsewhere relatively easily.
Pilots are at the start of a long career where great expense has already been suffered and need to see it through to a point where they have built a career.

That's one way of putting it. Another, less flattering, way would be to liken pilots of most LCC operators to individual PLCs (not unlike their employment status), with a selfish agenda and a complete lack of foresight or interest in other PLCs.

His dudeness
5th Apr 2018, 11:36
That's one way of putting it. Another, less flattering, way would be to liken pilots of most LCC operators to individual PLCs (not unlike their employment status), with a selfish agenda and a complete lack of foresight or interest in other PLCs.

SMT, spot on.

Daz80
5th Apr 2018, 21:46
As sort of alluded to above, it's illegal to use crews from outside Portugal to operate Portuguese based planes in the event of a strike.

I'm led to believe the Portuguese government body in charge of looking after workers rights were on hand to stop crew that weren't based in Portugal operating.

Also, a number of flights were operated "on schedule" but with no passengers on board. Just the pilots. Some passengers reported that they were told that no compensation was due as the flight operated and wasn't cancelled...if that's true I'd like to see the lawyers get hold of it.

aixois
5th Apr 2018, 22:51
As sort of alluded to above, it's illegal to use crews from outside Portugal to operate Portuguese based planes in the event of a strike.

Also, a number of flights were operated "on schedule" but with no passengers on board. Just the pilots. Some passengers reported that they were told that no compensation was due as the flight operated and wasn't cancelled...if that's true I'd like to see the lawyers get hold of it.

According to chapter 4 of ECC 261 / 2004 rules it could be a DENIED BOARDING :

3. If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in accordance with Article 7 and assist them in accordance with Articles 8 and 9.

Good evening to everyone.

His dudeness
6th Apr 2018, 08:17

I just hope that this whole episode will fall on the feet of RYR management big time.

BluSdUp
8th Apr 2018, 11:44
Hi All
Rumor has it she was NOT fired!
But given a Final Warning and a 1 year probation!
If this is fact, that was indeed smart from RYR.
The last thing RYR need is a Martyr!
Anyway:
She is a hero in my book!

Binder
9th Apr 2018, 08:27
As I understand it she was a) asked to work on her day off. 2) asked to strike break in another country (Portugal) which is illegal.

Time for MOL to trot off and concentrate on Gigginstown?

Trav a la
9th Apr 2018, 16:22
According to chapter 4 of ECC 261 / 2004 rules it could be a DENIED BOARDING :

3. If boarding is denied to passengers against their will, the operating air carrier shall immediately compensate them in accordance with Article 7 and assist them in accordance with Articles 8 and 9.

Good evening to everyone.

It sounds like IDB to me too, in which case the airline has no defence, all passengers would qualify.

golfyankeesierra
9th Apr 2018, 21:52
She is a hero in my book!
Hear hear!
And if she needs legal backup after all I hope someone will start a crowdfunding and I'll surely chip in!

BluSdUp
17th Apr 2018, 20:29
Any news of the progress of the negotiations in Portugal?
Anyone!?

Tigger4Me
18th Apr 2018, 16:17
Any news of the progress of the negotiations in Portugal?
Anyone!?

The last we heard on the news here was that there was to a meeting on 24 April to discuss further action on a Europe wide basis. Portuguese union officials are reported to be in touch with their counterparts in Italy and other European countries.