PDA

View Full Version : Pax in cockpit during flight

BusAirDriver
24th Mar 2018, 20:50
I recently saw a post on Facebook, a friend of a friend, showing photos and text written that implied he was a passenger sitting on the jumpseat on arrival at Barcelona.

I am just wondering what is the policies for Spanish airlines on this? Companies like Vueling, Iberia and Air Europe?

I would have thought this would have be a no go.

CaptainProp
24th Mar 2018, 22:31
Company pilot / cc traveling off duty?

A Squared
24th Mar 2018, 22:36
Company pilot / cc traveling off duty?

Or a Jumpseater? I don't know if it's the same for Spain and/or EU but in the US I can ride in the cockpit jumpseat of another airline (with proper identification and employment verification, of course.)

kenparry
24th Mar 2018, 22:39
Or a Jumpseater? I don't know if it's the same for Spain and/or EU but in the US I can ride in the cockpit jumpseat of another airline (with proper identification and employment verification, of course.)

Near impossible in Europe these days.

A Squared
24th Mar 2018, 22:53

Is it? That's a shame. Well on-line deadheading aircrew or cabin crew is still a possible explanation.

Capt Ecureuil
24th Mar 2018, 22:55
Air France... at 6:00

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_eXRRqKBJNw

ExSp33db1rd
25th Mar 2018, 00:14
World's Gone Mad.

The Bad Boys will do precisely what they want to do precisely when they want to do it, for a start, just what is the point of making legitimate crew - which can be ascertained - jump through the present line of stupid hoops, then give them a multi million dollar flying bomb that they can spear into the nearest Alp, and also sit on a flight deck seat with an emergency fire / evacuation axe to hand ?

BusAirDriver
25th Mar 2018, 02:29
Note this person would not have been airline crew, it seems he was just an ordinary passenger.

Icelanta
25th Mar 2018, 04:00
In quite some Airlines, it is the PIC decision whom to allow on the flightdeck during flight. All allowed by the authorities and is completely safe.
Note that this severely restricted when flying into the US and UK 🙄

fox niner
25th Mar 2018, 07:01
Oh and by the way, I an quite happy that I can still take my 15 year old son with me on the flight deck jump seat. Because I am the commander. As long as it is not to/from the US or UK. (European legacy carrier)

Piltdown Man
25th Mar 2018, 09:22
Some people are very surprised that some people (not everyone!) who are not crew can still be the cockpit during flight. Why is that so strange? Let’s go back to basics. We are trying to stop the bad guys. I don’t know who the bad guys are but I know it’s not my immediate family or my friends. I also know my colleagues pretty well. So I do not have problem with people who might be described as passengers in the flight deck. What I do have a problem with are the pathetic rules imposed in the name of security in the UK. For example, as along as I don’t have a yoghurt or a pointy stick I can get airside in Britain and take a fully fuelled plane full of passengers anywhere I wish. Not at many airports in Spain or Italy though. They don’t really care what I’m carrying but they do want to know I’m a member of the crew and expect me to be there at a certain time. Also, the UK’s post 9/11 reaction was to prohibit aircraft from overflying nuclear power stations. To make sure that could be done, they published the precise location of each one. That would save a lot of FMS programming! Unfortunately ridiculous, ill-considered rules are shoved into Ops manual by myopic clowns in the UK CAA and people believe that this serves some purpose. I’d suggest that the people who need to get a grip are those who think these rules have any value whatsoever.

As for the OP’s initial question; unless you know the crew very well, PAX in the flighdeck is permitted in OPs manual, the flight is it not on a UK or Irish airline, the flight is not to or from the UK or USA and a variety of other hoops and hurdles are cleared, access is most unlikely.

PM

ps. It entirely legitimate to point out dreadful flaws in security. The CAA winge and whine about not discussing security in public but miserably fail to close the gaping hole in their security procedures imposed on us that are meant to be for the good of all. Let’s have proper security and not the box ticking or the pathetic pantomime that is expensively performed at every airport every day.

Nightstop
25th Mar 2018, 09:27
I was a pax once on a Spanish domestic flight with Spanair some years ago. The F/O’s jumpseating kid was in out out of the Flightdeck so many times, I thought it was a playground. The distractions of a badly behaved 10 year old in the Flightdeck are potentially dangerous imho, let alone Joe Public.

Hotel Tango
25th Mar 2018, 10:12
This is yet another boring subject which pops up from time to time on this forum. Because this forum is predominantly read by Brits and Americans they base their opinions on the very strict rules applied by Britain and the USA. I have mentioned several times before that there are many nations around the globe that do not promote such draconian regulations on their aircrew, with the exception of when they are flying to the USA. It is certainly not uncommon to see "passengers" on the FD of many non-British/American carriers in European skies. Generally these will be persons that are either personally known to a crew member or who may have professional aviation credentials. It is left at the Captain's discretion, as was always the case in the past. I have made several FD visits and landings on European carriers in the past 10 years. They are not breaking any individual company SOPs/rules by doing so. In answer to the OP's question I can say that it is definitely par for the course on most Spanish carriers, as it is with many from other countries too. They do however respect and enforce regulations set by the USA when in their airspace for instance.

CaptainMongo
25th Mar 2018, 14:45
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/28/world/tape-confirms-the-pilot-s-son-caused-crash-of-russian-jet.html

arketip
25th Mar 2018, 15:06
https://www.nytimes.com/1994/09/28/world/tape-confirms-the-pilot-s-son-caused-crash-of-russian-jet.html

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Wally777
25th Mar 2018, 16:04
This is yet another boring subject which pops up from time to time on this forum. Because this forum is predominantly read by Brits and Americans they base their opinions on the very strict rules applied by Britain and the USA. I have mentioned several times before that there are many nations around the globe that do not promote such draconian regulations on their aircrew, with the exception of when they are flying to the USA. It is certainly not uncommon to see "passengers" on the FD of many non-British/American carriers in European skies. Generally these will be persons that are either personally known to a crew member or who may have professional aviation credentials. It is left at the Captain's discretion, as was always the case in the past. I have made several FD visits and landings on European carriers in the past 10 years. They are not breaking any individual company SOPs/rules by doing so. In answer to the OP's question I can say that it is definitely par for the course on most Spanish carriers, as it is with many from other countries too. They do however respect and enforce regulations set by the USA when in their airspace for instance.

After I achieved my Command I managed to get a trip in which my father was a passenger. He was retired after 49 years in aviation, from an apprentice engineer to a Training Captain and eventually Chief of Air Accident Investigation. Could he join his son on the flight deck - NO! UK rules AGH............

PA28161
25th Mar 2018, 16:40

No it's not if you are a company FO or Capt; deadheading and in uniform.

A Squared
25th Mar 2018, 17:26
No it's not if you are a company FO or Capt; deadheading and in uniform.

His comment was in reference to off-line jumpseating.

giggitygiggity
25th Mar 2018, 18:48
Simply don't ask - otherwise you give the opportunity to a miserable desk rat to say no to you, something which will get this individual overexcited for years ...

If I allowed my retired pilot father to jumpseat one of my flights without asking for permission, I would certainly be looking for another job shortly afterwards. Somebody, passenger or crew would undoubtedly report it (don't get hung up on comradery in my airline, it's just certainty that somebody would report it). I don't necessarily agree with the rules, but in my UK airline that is what would happen.

BusAirDriver
26th Mar 2018, 00:06
Some comments here are interesting, as it’s in the interest of safety.

It seems to be a big anti UK and USA sentiment here on the security issues. In some cases I can understand the frustration of this.

However we have the Russian kid in the cockpit crash and we have the missing MH370.

It’s important here not mixing up airline crew and ordinary passengers.
SOPs from ALL companies I have knowledge of would not allow any passengers without prior approval of management in the cockpit.
I was just curious in this, apparently it’s. It just UK and USA where accidents happen.

Btw I managed to bring several youghurts with me trough UK security without an issue. I also agree that some of the rules can seem draconian, however I am not convinced letting a passenger into the flight deck is one of them, as history has shown us.

recceguy
26th Mar 2018, 06:30
If I allowed my retired pilot father to jumpseat ... somebody, passenger or crew would undoubtedly report it (don't get hung up on comradery in my airline, it's just certainty that somebody would report it)..
Same in my company, by the way. Cabin crew reporting pilots is the major threat nowadays.

Now many will agree with me that this "reporting culture" does come from UK/USA/Aus/NZ/Irl world, as it has been ingrained in them since childhood and kindergarten .... and that's one of the reason I would never set up in these countries, especially as I would not want my children to become one of them.

Bus driver, you even complained that security is not good enough in UK because you brought yoghurts through ? so you somewhat agree with them, and consider their current delirium is not enough ? you wan t it to be worse ?

BusAirDriver
26th Mar 2018, 09:03
No I did not complain that I got trough security with youghurt, and I find it equally ridiculous that we are not allowed our own liquid/ drinks.

I believe that even USA they allow you this.

Regarding reporting culture, I have myself experienced some of that but based on things written on Pprune, and I find that those colleagues, which must have been pilots, must be the lowest of the low to out somebody for their written words on Pprune.

One of the reasons I hardly spend any time on Pprune anymore, as you don’t know who is out there ready to stab you in the back.

Myself as a kid I was allowed to visit cockpit during flight and was a great experience, and I would have loved to been able to have my children with me too from time to time, but would it have distracted me? I think so.

The whole security of UK and USA is a different subject, this is about who you allow in the cockpit during flight.

And I believed there was a universal agreement after 9-11, that you could not bring passengers on flight deck.
I believe this is the policy of most airlines, their SOP.

You have the Argentinian pilots who got fired because they had some famous lady with them few years ago, so it’s not special for UK/ USA.

Regarding reporting of such incidents if yourself are involved, your fellow crew member would have put you in a very ackward situation, as in many companies would be considered a very serious SOP breach.
You don’t know who is on board etc, and if other cabin crew would report it, failing to report such an SOP breach would be quite serious with the company in my opinion.

Same in my company, by the way. Cabin crew reporting pilots is the major threat nowadays.

Now many will agree with me that this "reporting culture" does come from UK/USA/Aus/NZ/Irl world, as it has been ingrained in them since childhood and kindergarten .... and that's one of the reason I would never set up in these countries, especially as I would not want my children to become one of them.

Bus driver, you even complained that security is not good enough in UK because you brought yoghurts through ? so you somewhat agree with them, and consider their current delirium is not enough ? you wan t it to be worse ?

Hotel Tango
26th Mar 2018, 11:48
BusAirDriver, No anti UK or USA sentiment on my part. Just saying that many countries continue to be a lot more pragmatic on the subject. Passengers visiting the FD has resulted in no accidents. Letting kids sit in the pilot's seat and touch the controls has. Terrorist actions have. to my knowledge, resulted from forced entry into the FD (before locked doors). There have been the odd incident/accident attributed to a current or former company employer riding jump seat. However, there have been no more, indeed fewer, of those type of incidents then, for example, a member of the active crew committing suicide with a plane load of passengers!

And I believed there was a universal agreement after 9-11, that you could not bring passengers on flight deck. I believe this is the policy of most airlines, their SOP.

I believe that was left to individual nations to regulate as they saw fit. Consequently, and I know this for a fact, there are still pleanty of airlines which do allow FD visits subject to certain criteria being met.

wiggy
26th Mar 2018, 11:59
On the subject of “reporting culture” one glance at that paragon of virtue “Mumsnet” will show that many curtain twitchers first question is “who should I report this too”...such is the world we live on.... so the idea that a commander can self regulate on this and get away with ad hoc passengers visits at his or her discretion is naive..

I believe that was left to individual nations to regulate as they saw fit. Consequently, and I know this for a fact, there are still plenty of airlines which do allow FD visits subject to certain criteria being met.

Which sums it up and is probably all that needs said on the subject...

Piltdown Man
26th Mar 2018, 12:14
I’m afraid BusAirDriver is clearly not familiar with what is allowed (SOP’s are not relevant) in most European airlines. I’ll not mention the airlines or countries concerned but it is important to understand that rules restricting access are set nationally. Airlines themselves can be more restrictive but generally choose not to be. But rather unusually in today’s climate, most European airlines delegate the final access decisions to the crew on the day provided they comply with company policy as described in their Part A’s.

With regard to reporting I don’t care. I’m paid to follow the rules, no matter how absurd or irrelevant. I also try to create an environment in which any member of the crew can tell me if I’m doing something wrong. With this in mind I’ll get really upset if a muppet attempts to dob me after the event when they could and should have told me on the day. Fortunately my colleagues, almost to a person, agree with this way of doing business. Also, busting SOP’s is relatively small beer. The big “crimes” are busting the black letter rules in the Operations Manuals, mainly Part A, without good reason.

I’m also sceptical about references to the Russian Airbus, this I think was a one-off. The most dangerous people are the pilots. Besides, we are not talking about letting passengers fly, we are talking letting guests sit on the cockpit jumpseat/s. And while we are here, let’s think about the rogue elements amongst the flight crew. Having another person in the flight deck makes it less likely for one of the crew to do something unpleasant if for no other reason than the odds are less favourable. So let’s have some worthwhile facts please.

Lastly, if you did make it through security with prohibited items this should have been reported. If you think that we should stick to the UK’s ridiculous rules you should be helping the system by pointing out their oversights.

PM

paulc
26th Mar 2018, 18:11
BusAirDriver, the USA had a no passengers on the flight deck rule long before 9-11. Other nations only changed their rules after the events of that day.

Retired DC9 driver
27th Mar 2018, 01:49
I was very lucky a few times, before 9-11, to be granted jumpseat in the cockpit on various US legacy carriers, on a full flight. I had my FAA license, even though I flew for a major Canadian carrier.
Once , going into ORD in the jumpseat, of a MD-80 the rather flustered F/O got on the wrong frequency. A few seconds of radio silence ensued (!!) in some of the busiest airspace in America. I did YUL to ORD often, so finally I piped up, "try 119.2" . We had an immediate response from Chicago TRACON.

Anyway, now as a retired Captain, with 30 Years of service, I can't even enter the cockpit of our own aircraft, once the flight has begun..

ExSp33db1rd
27th Mar 2018, 03:43
ps. It entirely legitimate to point out dreadful flaws in security. The CAA winge and whine about not discussing security in public but miserably fail to close the gaping hole in their security procedures imposed on us that are meant to be for the good of all. Let’s have proper security and not the box ticking or the pathetic pantomime that is expensively performed at every airport every day.

Wot he said, with knobs on.

Trim Stab
27th Mar 2018, 05:40
I have flown on the jump seat of an AF 777 about two years ago. I was flying as pax and happened to bump into my neighbour during boarding who was flying as Commandant. He invited me to cockpit - I was very surprised - but he insisted it was fine.

anchorhold
27th Mar 2018, 12:59
This is an interesting subject, in the UK after the 'Pablo Mason' incident I think few would take the risk as Pablo did.

Things have gone from one extreme in the 1990, when pax though it was part of the deal to visit the flightdeck, but these days it concerns me how difficult it may be for legitimate people to experience a jumpseat flight as part of thier training, such as ATC cadets, meteorolgists, aircraft engineers and research scientists. The later I mention because their are number scientists in Europe who are studying the feasabilty of single crew airline operation, I can not imagine the have had the jumpseat experience.

My other thoughts on pax visitors to the flightdeck is that it should even be allowed on the ground, as happened after the olympics. Some will disagree with me, I say that as you do not want people touching switches or resetting things. The flightdeck should be treated as a 'sterile' area.

recceguy
27th Mar 2018, 15:39
I brought my wife once in a nuclear submarine, another couple of time to the OPS room as I was on duty there, I also put my parents and children a couple of times in single-seat fighter cockpits, also on the bridge of numerous fregates ... and nobody will convince me that an airliner flight deck with two ILS, two VHF and a gear lever along with a fire extinguisher deserves more respect ...

PA28161
27th Mar 2018, 16:26
His comment was in reference to off-line jumpseating.

Ah! I stand corrected:O

PA28161
27th Mar 2018, 16:32
This is an interesting subject, in the UK after the 'Pablo Mason' incident I think few would take the risk as Pablo did.

Things have gone from one extreme in the 1990, when pax though it was part of the deal to visit the flightdeck, but these days it concerns me how difficult it may be for legitimate people to experience a jumpseat flight as part of thier training, such as ATC cadets, meteorolgists, aircraft engineers and research scientists. The later I mention because their are number scientists in Europe who are studying the feasabilty of single crew airline operation, I can not imagine the have had the jumpseat experience.

My other thoughts on pax visitors to the flightdeck is that it should even be allowed on the ground, as happened after the olympics. Some will disagree with me, I say that as you do not want people touching switches or resetting things. The flightdeck should be treated as a 'sterile' area.

My son, who is FO for a well-known airline, allowed his mum and me on the flight deck after landing and shutdown at Arrecife. (with the captain's permission of course) as it was our 26th wedding anniversary and he flew the outbound sector. Before posing for the statutory photograph he said: "Dad for goodness sake don't touch anything...". And me a PPL:=

ManaAdaSystem
27th Mar 2018, 17:28
It’s (still) my call. My kids. Friends. Non rev staff on full flights. PPL holders. People interested in flying. People scared of flying. The odd full fare pax on overbooked flights.
Kids and parents visiting enroute.
Not a UK or US airline.

SARF
27th Mar 2018, 17:35
Can’t be allowed any more..

sure it’s my dad he’s a pilot.. that’s fine.
Then aunt Enid says can your cousin sit up there.. etc etc. I’m not saying any pilot won’t draw a line in the sand., but peer pressure , family pressure birthdays et al.. it’s all the thin end of a wedge that these days is unacceptable ..

ManaAdaSystem
27th Mar 2018, 18:10
Just because the rest of the world is paranoid, it doesn’t mean I have to be.

Papa_Golf
27th Mar 2018, 20:23
Flew many times on the jumpseat with my old man as a skipper. I was a kid and now it is really sad that I cannot get him a jumpseat ride with me at the helm.

Good to know that there are airlines that still regards their captains as Captains. I could understand these restrictions as a panicked reaction post 9/11 but nowadays I personally fail to see their relation with aviation security.

We, as flight crews, have been progressively stripped of authority. Time to say "enough" maybe?

Herod
27th Mar 2018, 21:45
Yes, it was good in the pre-9/11 days. All sorts of people coming up. Had a chap once who had flown Wellingtons; fascinating. PPLs, youngsters, some well-known people. It added a little variety to the long cruise period. But, all good things come to an end.

flash8
27th Mar 2018, 21:52
Most vivid memory was as a nine year old being transfixed by the colour radar on an Air Europe 732 to the Balearics (late '79) ... it was like being on a spaceship, I'd never seen anything so amazing in my short life, couldn't take my eyes off it.

Yes, sad that things have come to an end, but without those visits not sure I would have had a career in aviation.

mask14
27th Mar 2018, 23:10
Personally known to the Captain - no issue for me and important to retain.
Hypocrisy abounds when arguments to the contrary see Cpt's regularly asked to take an unknown engineer or new flight planner on a family - but approved by DFO... - no comment.

I do accept personal positions of some Cpt not to accept as a rule - there is certainly a threat of distraction if not very careful. At the very least.

ExSp33db1rd
28th Mar 2018, 08:40
I have flown on the jump seat of an AF 777

But aren't AF "different" ? e.g. is it true that AF pilots are served a glass of wine as part of their crew meal ?

And there was me thinking it was The Department for Transport that is responsible for the security of UK airports.

No doubt that they are - just why don't they apply a bit of commonsense to it ? 'Elf and Safety and Security and the like Gone Mad.

Hotel Tango
28th Mar 2018, 08:55
But aren't AF "different" ? e.g. is it true that AF pilots are served a glass of wine as part of their crew meal ?

It was true, but those days are loooong gone!

Flocks
28th Mar 2018, 09:42
As said before, we all are different with different point of view, depending of our culture, education, company we work for.

I travel regularly on the jump seat with other European airline, always like to chat with fellow other pilots, not all airline are strict as UK or US. In my 3 previous airlines I could bring anybody I want if captain was okay with that, we had ATC guys, we had aviation lovers, family, ... Never been an issue for me.

In my present airline (Uk), impossible. We can show cockpit on the ground if someone want to see, but once lock, it is lock. Even me when I m positioning, I can have the jumpseat only if cabin full ... And only positioning.

Does mean, if I m on standby traveling for my own in my own airline, if plane is full, I ll just not board ... Except one day, I called crewing and told them, if I was not boarding this plane, they would have no captain the next day ... And they finally let me do.

When I was FO, I even had a captain who refused a cabin crew on the jump seat, even if she was on training (so as extra) and usually we take them at least one sector in cockpit.

Now, even if I disagree with all those rules, I m here to respect them, so I ll not bend any rule, my airline doesn't want anybody in cockpit, so it will be.

I d like to know, in all the world of aviation, how many crash occurred because the crew agreed to let a guest in the cockpit.

I know one was the Russian with the kid but I said I was okay to let a guest in the cockpit, not them to "fly" the plane.
One was the 9/11 ... But I don't remember they nicely asked to see the cockpit for a selfie with the captain, so does not count.
One was the FedEx, the positioning engineer tried to kill the crew for insurance ... But it is an employee, so same could happen today (German wings ...)

I don't remember any stories with a passenger on jump seat and it has been positively found, it had distracted the crew.

++

Hotel Tango
28th Mar 2018, 10:17
Flocks, I said the same some posts back. There was also the disgruntled ex PSA guy who shot both pilots on a domestic flight. However, statistically there have been more accidents attributed to pilot induced suicides then accidents caused by third party FD visitors.

A Squared
28th Mar 2018, 20:12
Flocks, I said the same some posts back. There was also the disgruntled ex PSA guy who shot both pilots on a domestic flight. However, statistically there have been more accidents attributed to pilot induced suicides then accidents caused by third party FD visitors.

Airline accidents? I only know of 2, the GermanWings crash and (arguably) the Egyptair crash. have there been others?

Hotel Tango
28th Mar 2018, 20:38
Airline accidents? I only know of 2, the GermanWings crash and (arguably) the Egyptair crash. have there been others?

The answer in short is yes, at least 6 that I know of.

Gipsy Queen
28th Mar 2018, 22:34
I'm just a time-expired CPL so really shouldn't be here but I do find this subject very depressing. My wife once was returning to the UK and requested a FD visit. The crew were ex-RAF and she shamelessly did some name-dropping to be invited to stay in the jump seat for a night landing into Gatwick. More than 30 years later she still counts this as one of the most interesting and exciting things she has done and remains profoundly grateful for having been allowed this experience.

I wonder how many similar opportunities which innocently might be enjoyed by others are denied them by the dead hand of a craven bureaucracy stifled by a political correctness which contrives to make our present world a bland and thoroughly over-regulated place. I'm glad I'm not any younger and particularly glad that I do not have to work in the present aviation culture.

But then I'm an old man from a very different era - not many of us with a Miles Gemini in the log left! . . . .:)

tdracer
28th Mar 2018, 23:53
Since 1976, there are at least a dozen cases where it's known or strongly suspected that a pilot intentionally crashed or attempted to crash a commercial airliner. Here is one list, but it's not comprehensive:
ASN News List of aircraft accidents and incidents intentionally caused by pilots - ASN News (http://news.aviation-safety.net/2015/03/26/list-of-aircraft-accidents-and-incidents-deliberately-caused-by-pilots/)

Hotel Tango
29th Mar 2018, 08:13
Well said Gipsy Queen! I'm not a CPL holder nor do I have the wonderful Miles Gemini in my log, but I very much share your sentiments. Being in ATC I spent most of my passenger flying life in the FD of airliners and learned a great deal from my experiences. My boys knew their aviation stuff and generally impressed crews so much that one or the other (or both in some types such as the L-1011 Tristar we often flew on) were allowed to stay for the landing. They were the Golden Days of aviation and I'm so happy that my boys and I were able to enjoy them.

I'm glad I'm not any younger and particularly glad that I do not have to work in the present aviation culture.

The same goes for me!

Gordomac
29th Mar 2018, 09:33
Enjoyable reading about the past. Before the thread is moved to "nostalgia" or something, I agree with all who loved the history but quickly had to align with company policy after 9-11 or face very serious discipline. I also fully appreciate other's postings on how FD visits helped them into the career.

My first was MEA Viscount, Tehran - Beirut. NZ Skipper even presented me with a spare set of wings which became a trophy for me and huge inspiration. Then came BOAC Constellation.Didn't get me into Hamble though. Cally Britannia; oh yes, CP even let me fly it until I made all cabin crew down the back very sick. It was empty & I was just a Trainee Crewing Assistant. Laker, cripes, where does it end ? Stacks on the Brit & 707. Thanks to all that, successful in getting into the profession, I even flew RHS for Laker on the 1-11.

I returned the compliment by encouraging FD visits until 9-11 and could appreciate the Company rationale thereafter.

FLASH 8; I think the skipper on that trip was me.

Need to move on.Old days and golden certainly. Let that sweet little kid in for a visit these days & there might be a nasty Daddy right behind him. Take care out there guys.

radken
30th Mar 2018, 04:10
In 1968, on R&R from Nam, in the dark somewhere east of the Philippines, saw the ckpt dr was open and the lights were on dim...Looked pretty inviting so I got up and strolled in. FE had his feet propped up and was reading a novel...rt seat guy was busy ckng Loran (as I found out soon) data, and the Capt was sound asleep. I was a non pilot, btw, and co-pilot, knowing this, couldn’t wait to give me the $10 show around his little office in the sky. Even the FE got into it...Capt. was still asleep...that is until the 10kt autothrottle speed reduction demo began. Ha ha
You had to be there to witness how fast that left seat guy came to life the instant the speed began bleeding off. I don’t think his eyes were even open yet when “What the hell is going on!!” ripped out of his mouth as he sat straight up, looking for answers, and staring alternately at his f.o. and the panel... LOL... It was a humorous, great moment we all shared as his panic quickly subsided and laughter engulfed us in the front, and even the first few rows of tired, beat up guys, guys who hadn’t had much to laugh at all for the last six months or so of their lives.
A year and a half later I became a Private Pilot, and kept on flying until pricing forced me back into Zen and motorcycles full time. ‘Twas a different time indeed back in the golden days of the “friendly skies.” Keep reminiscing ya’ll..It’s practically all we have to hang on to anymore.

wan2fly99
30th Mar 2018, 13:10
I remeber before 9/11 always got to airport early and tried to talk to Captains. Explained was a GA pilot and trying to succeed in aviation.
Most of the time i was able to seat up front with them.

Nowadays forget it.
I hate flying now. Seat in those tight seats and thinking whats going on up front.

I wish that at least they would pipe ATC thru one of the radio channels they have

EDDT
30th Mar 2018, 23:41
I remeber before 9/11 always got to airport early and tried to talk to Captains. Explained was a GA pilot and trying to succeed in aviation.
Most of the time i was able to seat up front with them.

Nowadays forget it.

Large german carrier here. Have 2 Jumps in the A320 cockpits. Still doing this, when people ask politely + seem legit and show their PPL. Met some interesting contacts over the years and had nice talks during 2 hours flight. You must know, private flying in Germany is not exactly a poor man's hobby. :hmm:

I remember a Vueling captain being overly thankful when taking him to Bilbao. Seems a bigger issue with other airlines, I can confirm.

Staff or their spouses and family members usually ride in the cockpit, when flight is fully booked, so they don't hinder the crew in the galley.

Highway1
30th Mar 2018, 23:53

As an Engineer I never had any problems getting on the jumpseat - in fact it was one of my greatest annoyances when check-in staff would give away my (blocked) Business Class seat and expect me to sit on the flt deck without asking me. :mad:

Ollie Onion
30th Mar 2018, 23:59
In New Zealand the Captain of the flight can authorise Anyone to ride the jumpseat, in Australia you can’t. It has always seemed weird to me that I can take an unknown person on the jumpseat based on a 10 cent piece of plastic that you could get knocked up in Hong Kong or China but I can’t take my Wife / Friend or Family on the Jumpseat as they may be a security risk.