PDA

View Full Version : VFR Charts

Coke611
20th Jul 2002, 15:12
Hi guys.
I have just started my PPL training (at Stapleford), and have a slight problem. I have bought the normal half mil VFR charts- and the lumocolor pens.

Only problem is, how do you get the ink from the pens off of the chart?

Sounds very stupid I know!

Chilli Monster
20th Jul 2002, 15:28
3 ways off the top of my head

1) White Staedtler plastic eraser (the orange ones aren't as good)

2) White Spirit

3) Nail Polish remover

CM

Evo7
20th Jul 2002, 15:51
I 'borrow' my wife's nail polish remover. Works fine :)

Trislander
20th Jul 2002, 16:17
I don't like to use white spirit because it leaves a powdery residue (A bit like avgas does if you get it on your hands) on the chart which is hard to mark over the next time you use the pens. I find either de-odourant (NOT anti-perspirant - that contains a powdery substance) such as lynx quite effective, but ideally nail polish remover.

Regards Tri

suction
20th Jul 2002, 18:35
Some 'friends' got me a bottle of Teachers Whiskey a while ago - I use that :D

-S

ifonly
20th Jul 2002, 18:58
I've always used lighter fuel, can't remember why , an instructor must have told me to !;)

foghorn
20th Jul 2002, 19:27
Meths - but it stinks!!!

Tinstaafl
20th Jul 2002, 19:35
I use a soft (2B) pencil & unlaminated charts. Any common eraser will rub out the pencil marks. The same pencil gets used to write on my flight plan/ log, whiz wheel etc.

I can see how long it will last, unlike the usual ink reservoir in pens.

If happen to drop/lose a pencil I can resort to writing on the chart with just about anything.

The unlaminated charts are easier to fold & handle too.

bluskis
20th Jul 2002, 20:31
Use the laminated charts together with chinograph pencils. The old routes erase themselves automatically on your trousers during the next few flights.

Tee
20th Jul 2002, 22:27
"edding 160 OHP-correction markers" are excellent for removing 'permanent marker'. After a while, nail varnish and other strong solvents remove the laminated finish.

juswonnafly
21st Jul 2002, 07:03
Ladies and Gentleman, I come to your rescue!

The marker pens that are used on the white boards during briefings are perfect for this. Just draw along the line you wish to erase on your map and wipe off with a cloth..........HEY PRESTO !

(I had been instructing for well over two years when a student told me this little trick, you learn something new every day!).

Cheers

JWF :)

eyeinthesky
21st Jul 2002, 07:31
If Lynx deodorant can take the permanent ink off a laminated chart, it makes you wonder what it does to your armpits!!

I use OHP marker pens, and they come with a convenient rubber on the lid.

Romeo Romeo
21st Jul 2002, 13:42
If I want to erase lots of lines then I use cream bathroom cleaner and a wet sponge.

Trislander, how did you find out that think about Lynx? I bet you have nice smelling maps though!

AerBabe
21st Jul 2002, 13:54
JWF, the problem with those is that it's very easy to accidentally rub off your route... :eek:

I use Avgas to clean my maps. I keep a bottle with a squirty nozzle in my bag, and when I test the fuel, instead of tipping it onto the nearest mole hill, I tip it into my bottle. The squirty cap also makes it easier to apply behind the ears before I night out ;)

411A
21st Jul 2002, 14:27
AerBabe

Don't know about the UK, but in the USA, if an FAA Inspector found this avgas in the aeroplane, you could be cited for contravening dangerous goods regulations. These regulations apply to PRIVATE as well as public operators...forwarned is forearmed.:eek:

QNH 1013
21st Jul 2002, 14:44
411A, Perhaps the difference is that we aren't allowed to smoke in light aircraft in the UK, however US-built light aircraft seem to always be fitted with ashtrays, and sometimes cigar-lighter sockets. I assume that bottles of spirits (e.g. brandy) are therefore also banned from US aircraft, ( I happen to think this is a good idea). European passenger aircraft overhead lockers always seem to have many bottles of spirits, (I happen to think this is a bad idea).

Whirlybird
21st Jul 2002, 16:49
Tinstaafl,

Where do you get unlaminated charts in the UK? I used them in the US, and I definitely prefer them too, especially in an R22 where it's very difficult to fold a map! And yes, much easier to just write in pencil on them and rub it out.

bertiethebadger
22nd Jul 2002, 09:53
I use Iso Propanol Alcohol. You can get it from a chemist.

It's quick, evaporates quickly so doesn't smell for long & a lot cheaper than nail polish remover.

Who has control?
22nd Jul 2002, 10:12
I use meths - has the advantage that you can drink it afterwards :o

Aussie Andy
22nd Jul 2002, 12:49
Isopropyl Alchohol from the chemist... easy-peasey.

bertiethebadger
22nd Jul 2002, 15:46
That's the one Aussie Andy

Tinstaafl
22nd Jul 2002, 15:52
Hi Whirly,

Plastic covered charts are anathema to me too. Some of my uncovered paper WACs are still going strong after 10 or 15 years (oops....maybe I shouldn't have mentioned that.... :o Still not often a mountain range gets up & moves...)

My latest ones happened to be a spare set in one of the company's a/c.

The last lot I ordered from one of the pilot supply shops. I had to pester them to get off their arse & contact their supplier etc.

The plastic is only applied after the charts are printed so **somewhere** in the supply chain they're available.

I've occasionally seen online sales that offered laminated/unlaminated. Can't remember where though. Sorry.

sennadog
22nd Jul 2002, 16:15
I have a feeling I'm missing the point here......

Anyway, I use a bit of sponge that I keep damp in a small cigar tin which I put in the folder on my knee board. If it gets too dry I then use spit.:D

nonradio
22nd Jul 2002, 19:18
411A: so would that apply to carrying a Qt of oil in the back, too?

Crossedcontrols
22nd Jul 2002, 20:12
Use a rubber, better safe than sorry.

It also works better if you lick it first.

Have I gone off my thread ?

CC

GRP
22nd Jul 2002, 21:07
Just tried the old nail varnish remover, available in handy wipes which my wife had. Did the job perfectly - but my flight bag smells a bit funny now! Anyway.. she's not having the wipes back now I've found this! Unbelievably, under all the black ink I found a rather useful looking aviation chart :)