PDA

View Full Version : LHR 3rd runway

underfire
25th Oct 2017, 19:35
This seems, well...(reserved)

https://i.imgur.com/pMjGC5W.jpg

I suppose the planners of the ($%$#@#$) location considered the wake turbulence transport from ARR and DEP operations?

DaveReidUK
25th Oct 2017, 19:53
That's one of the options that didn't make the shortlist, so don't worry about it.

underfire
25th Oct 2017, 20:02
Thanks, just saw it as a preferred alternative.

TUG DRIVER
25th Oct 2017, 20:20
The Wraysbury plan - it was a bad one!

Herod
25th Oct 2017, 20:27
Now, according to this morning's Times, they are opening the public consultation AGAIN, with the suggestion that Gatwick is now the better option. I suppose if they delay it long enough there will come a time when either there is no fuel for aircraft, or they have all gone elsewhere. Frankfurt? Paris? Amsterdam?

DODGYOLDFART
25th Oct 2017, 20:46
Now, according to this morning's Times, they are opening the public consultation AGAIN, with the suggestion that Gatwick is now the better option. I suppose if they delay it long enough there will come a time when either there is no fuel for aircraft, or they have all gone elsewhere. Frankfurt? Paris? Amsterdam?

To those living or working near to LHR, Gatwick was always the preferred option!!

msbbarratt
25th Oct 2017, 21:00

From what I know of the vast amount of house building within the vicinity of Crawley, the developers have already bet on Gatwick getting the gig. They're probably not wrong...

pax britanica
25th Oct 2017, 21:12
Dodgy
i think you will find that those working want LHR to win -their jobs and livelihoods depend on it.

The opposition are mostly idiot Tory hardliners who live in posh bits of west London who will be the first to complain if they have to go to Gatwick to get a flight.

As usual in UK we miss the bleedin' obvious, London has to have a hub airport not two big busy airports that are not integrated and cannot be reached without a two hour road journey at busy times.

Herod
25th Oct 2017, 21:18
London has to have a hub airport

Boris Island, anyone? Assorted governments have been arguing this for fifty years and more now. Remember Maplin Sands?

I can remember these discussions going on when I was in RAF basic training. I'm now long retired from the RAF and a commercial career, and we are no further down the road.

fireflybob
25th Oct 2017, 21:26
Boris Island, anyone? Assorted governments have been arguing this for fifty years and more now. Remember Maplin Sands?

Herod, I recall it being called Foulness also.

I'm with Boris but I'm not holding my breath over it.

SStreeter
25th Oct 2017, 21:32
Another Borisite writes:

Remember Cublington/Wing?

A and C
25th Oct 2017, 21:39
The political leaders of the OK are simply spineless , the new runway decision for the south is long overdue but because they all want to defend their own position they fail to act in the national interest, we for years have had all sorts of excuses for their inaction the latest being the environment.

I fly a very fuel efficient aircraft that is capable of flying from the optimum cruising altitude to the runway burning next to no fuel but because of lack of runway space each day I find myself in a holding pattern burning fuel in the most inefficient way............. funny how fuel burnt in the hold has no effect on the environment and yet fuel burnt at with the engines almost at idle on the ground has huge environmental impact according to local politicians.

What we need is a statesman who will put the national interest first and make a decision but I don’t see anyone in Westminster with the political corurage and foresight to fill the shoes of a statesman........... all I see is pathetic children squabbling over their own petty interests.

c52
25th Oct 2017, 22:30
Now that Brize is no longer in the Prime Minister's constituency, and because it's really rather important to the RAF, I tip it for London's 8th (9th, 10th?) airport.

G-CPTN
25th Oct 2017, 22:55
Thurleigh?
Not central London of course.

Smooth Airperator
25th Oct 2017, 22:55
What he said