PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow-3

Pages : [1] 2 3

fjencl
20th Aug 2017, 11:19
WOW there are 10 flights a day between the two cities of Glasgow and Manchester, must be a popular route........ !

0630 Loganair
0645 BE/Eastern
0715 Loganair
1000 Loganair
1020 BE/Eastern
1405 Lonanair
1440 BE/Eastern
1705 Loganair
1830 Loganair
1845 BE/Eastern

Homo Simpson
20th Aug 2017, 12:46
I would be very surprised if in 6 months you have even half that amount of flights.

This is a member waving contest between the two airlines involved.

VickersVicount
20th Aug 2017, 13:40
Though some of them are timed as new connections.
But yes, it was never anywhere near full with the existing flights, so the landscape will be different in 6 months.
Meanwhile an hourly river boat connection from GLA to city centre planned from next year - nice as it sounds, would like to see all the cases, golf bags, baby buggies and duty free getting loaded on the planned 10 seater. Nice idea, yes? Practical with longevity, probably not.

ScotsSLF
20th Aug 2017, 19:45
An hourly river boat from GLA to the City Centre? Are you having a laugh? Would love to see the link where this is promoted.

billyg
20th Aug 2017, 19:51
An hourly river boat from GLA to the City Centre? Are you having a laugh? Would love to see the link where this is promoted.

New River Clyde taxi service offers to take holidaymakers to Glasgow airport by boat - Glasgow Live (http://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/new-river-clyde-taxi-service-13502347)

ScotsSLF
20th Aug 2017, 20:06
Thanks billyg - this is right out of the MOL school of free advertising.

goldeneye
21st Aug 2017, 08:43
Meanwhile an hourly river boat connection from GLA to city centre planned from next year - nice as it sounds, would like to see all the cases, golf bags, baby buggies and duty free getting loaded on the planned 10 seater. Nice idea, yes? Practical with longevity, probably not.

This is failed from the start, they will be going up against First Bus (Service 500) and the Stagecoach (X24) both with multiple services per hour.

DANbudgieman
21st Aug 2017, 09:06
It may only take 25 mins by boat from city centre to airport, however add a further hour to recover from the effects of passing the Shieldhall sewage plant. Simply horrific....

VickersVicount
21st Aug 2017, 16:24
This is failed from the start, they will be going up against First Bus (Service 500) and the Stagecoach (X24) both with multiple services per hour.
Its not marketted as the main method and is a novelty route as they freely admit. With 10 seats it potentially wont be difficult to fill if marketted in a fun and novel way

GLAEDI
11th Sep 2017, 11:43
Glasgow breaks million pax in August. 7% increase on 2016. Growth again for DXB and transatlantic flights.

GLAEDI
11th Sep 2017, 11:44
Video: Glasgow Airport welcomes more than one million passengers in record breaking month (From Evening Times) (http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/15527530.Video__Glasgow_Airport_welcomes_more_than_one_milli on_passengers_in_record_breaking_month/)

inOban
11th Sep 2017, 11:55
These press releases are increasingly spin. They list several sections which have grown very healthily, but then the overall growth is much less, so presumably other parts are growing very slowly if it all. ? Domestic ? Inclusive tour? It would be interesting to know.

GLAEDI
11th Sep 2017, 16:13
Domestic flights are stagnant at both Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Domestic CAA Stats

EDI Jul 2016 470456
Jul 2017 476250 1% growth

GLA Jul 2016 382952
Jul 2017 381239 >1% decline

So a 10% increase in Intl pax equates to less total increase when combined totals are added to together. I.e. 50,000 increase of 500000 = 550000 a 10% increase of international pax. So if a domestic total which is stagnant is added say 500,000 for 2016 & 2017. The new 1,050,000 or 5% increase overall in 2017 from 2016.

Domestic is stagnant due to increase rail on West & East Coast Mainline.

CabinCrewe
11th Sep 2017, 16:28
im surprised the BE LHR flights havent increased domestic growth more noticeably.

Callum Paterson
11th Sep 2017, 18:36
The last time I checked GLA and EDI were two different airports.

Just saying.

GLAEDI
11th Sep 2017, 19:27
Both airports are obviously separate but both released figures showing very good results I.e 16% growth on some international routes. This was questioned as spin about Glasgow i.e. if they were losing lots of pax on other routes as overall growth was around 7-8%. I explained is they're both managing to retain their domestic figures (with extremely keen competition from WCML & ECML) but this lowers the gains from Intl traffic so overall the % increase is lower. Both airports show good intl results and stagnant domestic so it was a good comparison.

inOban
11th Sep 2017, 20:12
My original post wasn't really about comparing GLA and EDI. I was wondering whether the growth of scheduled and hybrid (Jet2) services was beginning to impact on TUI and TCX who provide IT flights. I noticed in another airport thread that some IT rotations were being cut next year. EDI doesn't separate IT data (all TOM/TUI). GLA does, that's all.

GLAEDI
11th Sep 2017, 21:44
I understand that, all I was saying was both have a very similar stats huge increases in Intl % but lower overall %. The rumours are that Jet2, FR & U2 have caught the big two charter companies out over pricing. Also the Spanish resorts had a of lot seats dumped into the market. The metal for those seats is getting moved back to Turkey & North Africa as people forget and the fall of the £ against the €.

Skipness One Echo
21st Sep 2017, 08:43
Glasgow Airport Investment Area - Renfrewshire Website (http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/gaia)

Do they have tenants for the hangars lined up or is this an aspirational piece? Be a shame if the road is rerouted, it's great for photos since they cut all the trees down.

willy wombat
21st Sep 2017, 08:52
Will these various road reroutings, new bridge etc enable the displaced threshold on 25 to be removed and thus increase LDA?

Rob Royston
21st Sep 2017, 09:18
It would be good to know why they have a displaced threshold on 25. Is it the river or the road beyond? Is a bridge feasible here?

willy wombat
21st Sep 2017, 11:26
I always thought, dating from the 60s, that it was to do with a crane on the Clyde but I could be totally wrong.

LFT
21st Sep 2017, 11:33
The Campsies.

Rob Royston
21st Sep 2017, 12:28
Could have been; the Titan crane is still there. I found information on the internet about structures radiused out from runway ends a few years ago when the discussion about a Central Scotland airport was running. It's still on my map and the runway end needed to be 1600 Mtrs from a row of quite high electricity pylons.
The Titan is 2000 Mtrs. from the threshold of 25. I also remember a business in Rothesay Dock having a planning problem over a silo or something they wanted to erect, it was only a few years ago.

From your earlier post Abbotsinch Rd. is only 180 Mtrs. from the runway centreline at the bend approaching the junction between the bridges. This is getting close to the safe distance, which was/is 150mtrs? It is over 200mtrs. at the threshold.

CabinCrewe
23rd Sep 2017, 11:51
17% increase in GLA-DXB, wonder if thats an error or anomoly from last year.
The April start for the A380 cant come soon enough!

OltonPete
23rd Sep 2017, 13:29
CabinCrewe

I must admit I did wonder if the last few months figures were correct as July I think averaged 364 a flight which for a 360 seat service is pretty good.

Obviously the answer was in the aircraft that operated with several 428 seat two class versions operated.

August was not much different 43894 pax average 354 pax or 98% load factor based on the published seat-maps.

FR24 shows eight two class versions operated on EK25/27 giving a total seat availability of 45728 or 96% load factor.

I can't believe any airline would want that to continue as pax must be going elsewhere and simple answer would be to change to two 428 seat aircraft giving 53072 seats and that would give a load factor of 83%.

This of course would wipe out first class and maybe if that is selling reasonably well they could do what they do at Manchester and offer a mix with EK25 maybe operating with 428 seats and EK27 with 360.

I can't believe if these figures are correct an airline like Emirates would allow this to happen for too long.

Another alternative is as suggested and add the 517/519 seat three class A388 although this could come at a cost like at BHX (airport infrastructure).

What I am sure they will do is tread carefully before adding an early morning service as BHX could only fill the aircraft during school holiday and mid winter and I believe Rome, Munich, Milan at times found their early morning flight struggling (Milan now has the JFK tag).

Emirates are now twice daily at BHX and it appears Turkish are the early beneficiaries but in Glasgow's case that could mean more pax making the first part of their journey to EDI.

Very interesting to see how this one goes but if the 428 seater is out it surely will be the 388.

willy wombat
23rd Sep 2017, 15:14
Or - wash my mouth out with soapy water - they could increase their fares

Callum Paterson
11th Oct 2017, 12:15
Apparently Amanda McMillan is to step down from her position early in the new year.

CabinCrewe
15th Oct 2017, 21:28
Glasgow bound flight from SYY off the taxiway in Western Isles

15th Oct 2017, 21:50
Based on what didn't arrive at Glasgow it looks like it would have been Eastern's Saab2000 G-CIEC?

Callum Paterson
25th Oct 2017, 12:34
Lufthansa daily to Frankfurt from March, now confirmed.

Skipness One Echo
25th Oct 2017, 12:51
Wow third time lucky for Lufty on this one? Did not see this coming especially after Air France gave up on CDG for the 3rd time last year.
Great news.

LAX_LHR
25th Oct 2017, 13:00
Lufthansa will be fighting off Ryanair now that the latter has entered the FRA market in a big way. like how LH announced a 5th daily to MAN just after Ryanair announced their flights, with similar timings to that service. Coincidence! Doubt it.

CabinCrewe
25th Oct 2017, 17:49
Excellent having LH FRA. Whole different ballgame now since the last FRA attempt, German routes have really 'taken off'.
I suspected AF CDG was never going to work, AF is not a hugely popular brand locally, timings were not great for connections and P2P was adequately covered. If FR started Paris, the P2P out and inbound numbers would flourish.
Hopefully LH FRA will follow their other recent GLA successes and expansion and people will support. A great *A connection to have on mainline.

ld0595
25th Oct 2017, 19:16
Anyone know why Emirates have added a third rotation on January 6? Is there an event on around then that I'm unaware of? Seems to be odd doing this for one day only.

LandingConfig
26th Oct 2017, 07:50
Is there an event on around then that I'm unaware of?

New Year...

mwm991
26th Oct 2017, 08:45
Fancy it could be a bloodbath to FRA. I am not surprised Munich has done well, given it has the appeal of beer and football and its a lesser service, so as a point to point destination it definitely appeals to many people in the West of Scotland.

To me, Frankfurt has a battle on its hands to oust the strongholds of Dublin, Amsterdam, Dubai and London, and probably to a lesser extent KEF, as they have only just went daily but they have been a fixture at GLA for sometime now too. Preferably I hope LH wins out against FR if anything is to drop.

Kilpatricknick
26th Oct 2017, 16:56
Anyone know why Emirates have added a third rotation on January 6? Is there an event on around then that I'm unaware of? Seems to be odd doing this for one day only.

Is it a 380?

canberra97
27th Oct 2017, 06:42
It's a 773.

Beatts
31st Oct 2017, 23:29
Rumours knocking around about EK will be announcing going to the 380 next month. This also coincides with plans to upgrade the terminal.

Callum Paterson
17th Nov 2017, 07:03
Plans for the new air bridge with expanded terminal on the west pier, the A380 looks a go-er.

http://pl.renfrewshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=map&keyVal=_RENFR_DCAPR_31984

Also, the third flight added just after new year is now fully booked along with the two scheduled flights, in economy.

Kilpatricknick
17th Nov 2017, 12:52
Looks like it. Bit of extra passenger space at the end of the pier. Interesting to see the current gate their 777s use moved slightly south which I guess would allow for the wingspan of a parked up A380 not to obstruct movements on the adjacent taxiway. I wonder if one of the current eastern stands on the west pier will be dropped of reallocated for smaller planes to compensate. this gate could also allow other operators (apart from Virgin|)to consider 747s as well i guess.

CabinCrewe
17th Nov 2017, 16:42
what other operators using passenger 747s to GLA requiring terminal stand did you have in mind?

Kilpatricknick
17th Nov 2017, 18:09
what other operators using passenger 747s to GLA requiring terminal stand did you have in mind?

Dunno really.
I came off a 747 from Orlando a couple of years ago and it took forever to disembark. Think it was on the other side of the pier that the 777s usually park up. Just think if there's a new double decker airbridge which is capable of emptying an A380 it should be able to handle the 2 levels of a 747 easily enough if available. Just making the point about the secondary benefits of the pier expansion rather than commercial speculation.

LAX_LHR
17th Nov 2017, 18:13
A double deck air bridge would be useless for the B744. The upper deck doors of a B744 can not be used for boarding. They are purely emergency exit only.

Callum Paterson
17th Nov 2017, 18:17
Plus the face that the VS 744 is usually on stand at the same time as the afternoon EK.

This expansion and new air bridge is being built for Emirates and the A380. Nothing else.

Kilpatricknick
17th Nov 2017, 18:30
A double deck air bridge would be useless for the B744. The upper deck doors of a B744 can not be used for boarding. They are purely emergency exit only.

Fair enough - every days a schoolday

Kilpatricknick
17th Nov 2017, 18:33
Do you know if the intention is to upgrade all 14 flights or are they starting with just the earlys or lates first? I'm guessing that if the airport is willing to invest this kind of money they would aspire to all 14 being A380?

LFT
17th Nov 2017, 20:26
Pretty prestigious if it happens for Scotland's Powerhouse City :ok:

canberra97
18th Nov 2017, 09:01
Fair enough - every days a schoolday

Seems like it doesn't it!

CabinCrewe
18th Nov 2017, 12:34
What 14 flights are we talking about? the weekly EK quota?
The plan is for one service to go to A380.

edistevie
18th Nov 2017, 21:36
Pretty prestigious if it happens for Scotland's Powerhouse City :ok:

Wrong City

CabinCrewe
19th Nov 2017, 08:28
... . Aberdeen

willy wombat
19th Nov 2017, 09:22
Nice to see an airport putting the infrastructure in place in advance rather than just encouraging all comers and thinking about adequate infrastructure some time in the future.

CabinCrewe
19th Nov 2017, 11:19
Looks like the City Deal 'confirmed' Glasgow airport rail link in doubt again...
So much for advanced infrastructure

Callum Paterson
19th Nov 2017, 16:56
The A380 coming to Glasgow is indeed great news for Scotland as a whole, not just the city of Glasgow, Scotland's powerhouse and biggest city.

I'm sure the news will be broadcast loudly throughout Scotland when officially announced, and welcomed with open arms by all in Scotland. Well, by most anyway ;)

billyg
19th Nov 2017, 17:32
Looks like the City Deal 'confirmed' Glasgow airport rail link in doubt again...
So much for advanced infrastructure

Quelle surprise !! Visiting other major European cities on an annual basis , one notices constant upgrades in various projects to improve transport choices from and to airports. Over here it drags on and on and on ..........

Richard Taylor
19th Nov 2017, 17:51
'Powerhouse city'............. :rolleyes:

Well - for west central Scotland I suppose.

A320.b744
19th Nov 2017, 18:00
Glasgow is the powerhouse city of Scotland according to official GDP figures.

Glasgow - £22.8bn
Edinburgh - £21.9bn

Glasgow powers further ahead when you look at their metropolitan areas.

Glasgow & Strathclyde - £51.1bn
Edinburgh & Lothian - £28.8bn

Richard Taylor
19th Nov 2017, 18:20
I obviously didn't cast my rod far enough.... ;)

edistevie
19th Nov 2017, 18:42
Edinburgh is Scotland’s economic powerhouse, research shows as off Oct2017.

Www.scotsman.com/business

CabinCrewe
19th Nov 2017, 20:37
...anyway back to specifics of GLA aviation

sdh2903
19th Nov 2017, 20:53
The A380 coming to Glasgow is indeed great news for Scotland as a whole

Really? Why? The average Joe won't care. The spotters will be excited for a few days until the novelty wears off. There'll be a few extra seats to flog and a loss of cargo capacity.

The airport taxi ways are too narrow so ops shut everything down and everyone has to wait. The last time it was in the rest of the world had to stop. If it's the same for regular ops then it's going to be a right pain in the a***.

Oh and it's a fugly looking thing ;)

LFT
19th Nov 2017, 21:07
Hence the only 1st Class Cabin to/from Scotland and not hanging onto the coatails of the Scottish executive at Dumbiedykes :ok: A380 looks a goer now, double airbridge and a wee bit of disruption a couple of times a day worth it for such an Iconic aircraft, it was done once they can do it again, day in day out, also the new Stand at Campsie Snacks may well be available in case one goes u/s or diverts in?

sdh2903
19th Nov 2017, 21:33
Exactly my point. It will be the best part of 20-25 mins shut down for 1 arrival by the time ops have done a sweep and shut the roads. There are other airlines and people just wanting to get on with it.

If it's the lunchtime flight which switches to the whale first it will be bedlam during all the charter LS/MT/TOM turns as well as all the rest.

LFT
19th Nov 2017, 22:09
Those of us doing 4-6 sector days through Glasgow may beg to differ. Nothing more irritating not moving for 10 minutes because the Emirates might be going to push.. the rest of us have fare paying pax too so why should they all be delayed so the mighty Emirates A380 isn't inconvenienced? ATC have only recently stopped slowing us all down while still in the Scottish sector as the Emirates is within 20 mins... makes you wonder how hard ball Emirates must negotiate..

I'm sure everything will go pretty slick once they get in the groove.

LFT
19th Nov 2017, 22:14
Exactly my point. It will be the best part of 20-25 mins shut down for 1 arrival by the time ops have done a sweep and shut the roads. There are other airlines and people just wanting to get on with it.

If it's the lunchtime flight which switches to the whale first it will be bedlam during all the charter LS/MT/TOM turns as well as all the rest.

GLA's peaks are early am and pm, the lunchtime flight will be Ideal as it's pretty quiet, let's just appreciate how prestigious this is for Scotland's Powerhouse region and not get petty, I'm sure pax will switch from less prestigious flights from Scotland to the Middle East due this particular aircraft type due its quietness and public perception for comfort and cabin air quality etc.

sdh2903
19th Nov 2017, 22:27
GLA's peaks are early am and pm, the lunchtime flight will be Ideal as it's pretty quiet

Really? You've obviously not been around the West pier from around 12 noon this summer then.

LFT
19th Nov 2017, 22:32
'Powerhouse city'............. :rolleyes:

Well - for west central Scotland I suppose. :}

You've never visited my loon then, have you :E

LFT
19th Nov 2017, 22:33
Really? You've obviously not been around the West pier from around 12 noon this summer then.

Ever traversed through Newark NJ?

Skipness One Echo
20th Nov 2017, 07:09
ATC have only recently stopped slowing us all down while still in the Scottish sector as the Emirates is within 20 mins
This is for Manchester? It’s taxiways were never designed for anything that big on a daily basis, Glasgow even less so. The fact that Emirates put a B777 in the grass due to the limitations of the taxiway at the 23 hold is a clue. Great news for GLA if they can pull it off without the farcical procedures MAN began with, in all honesty 3xB77W might make more sense but they went and ordered a huge fleet of the “iconic” Fugly and now have to fly it somewhere.

However the West Pier wasn’t intended for this either and the chaos when Emirates board a full B77W on 30 at the same time they’re trying to board a TUI 757 on 32 is quite the experience, more so when the EK queue gets in the way of boarding on 29 too.

HMS Sanderling has indeed come a long way!

sdh2903
20th Nov 2017, 07:41
Ever traversed through Newark NJ?

Your point being?

chaps1954
20th Nov 2017, 07:46
Better to be safe than sorry, rather have a small delay than a big dent and a further very big delay. Manchester does very well even had 4 on deck at once and Heathrow were very cautious at first.

willy wombat
20th Nov 2017, 08:06
I am in no position to comment re the operational aspects of A380 at GLA. However, as a frequent EK pax (from London) I can comment that the pax experience in A380 vs 777 (in current config) really is chalk and cheese and I would expect the impact of EK switching one daily flight to A380 would be such that they will swiftly switch the second flight as well.

LFT
20th Nov 2017, 08:40
The fact that Emirates put a B777 in the grass due to the limitations of the taxiway at the 23 hold is a clue.

Yes, that was a 777 backtracking then vacating at B to Hold at A IIRC, shouldn't even have been attempted (check Google Earth) but easily fixable if required with a 'filet' of tarmac.

Skipness One Echo
20th Nov 2017, 09:28
Yes, that was a 777 backtracking then vacating at B to Hold at A IIRC, shouldn't even have been attempted (check Google Earth) but easily fixable if required with a 'filet' of tarmac.
Was a lineup that had to clear on B to line up again on A.
Better to be safe than sorry, rather have a small delay than a big dent and a further very big delay
Fair point BUT the issue is that the rest of the airfield shouldn't have to grind to a halt once or twice daily for a scheduled flight, but they'll have all the pain of the MAN/LGW/LHR experience to learn from. There's not much room for wingtips towards Loganair, would it be an enter at E to vacate F and line up at G if they're departing 05?

LFT
20th Nov 2017, 09:55
There's not much room for wingtips towards Loganair, would it be an enter at E to vacate F and line up at G if they're departing 05?

Plenty room now as there was then, the Loganair Ops building is now gone -

http://i64.tinypic.com/30s7yhv.jpg

OntimeexceptACARS
20th Nov 2017, 12:23
What Willy Wombat said, the difference in cattle class between A380 and B777 is marked, wider seats and just nicer.

But please Emirates, don't go 11 abreast on the whale, it will backfire on you.

Centre cities
20th Nov 2017, 13:10
Better to be safe than sorry, rather have a small delay than a big dent and a further very big delay. Manchester does very well even had 4 on deck at once and Heathrow were very cautious at first.

I would have thought that BHX ops would be more similar to Glasgow. There are two A380 per day and nobody seems to bat an eye lid.

willy wombat
20th Nov 2017, 14:49
Tim Clark quoted in "Flight" today as saying he sees little benefit to Emirates in the 11 a-breast seating.

CabinCrewe
20th Nov 2017, 19:16
As planned, nice to see the FI 753 back on some of the KEF rotations. Constant growth on this route for a while despite low cost ops to KEF elsewhere.
I see WOW are planning to reduce the EDI service.

A350Saltire
20th Nov 2017, 19:18
I think FI will be doing a roaring trade given that UA have withdrawn their winter ops at GLA.

billyg
21st Nov 2017, 09:18
Yes , a foolhardy decision by UA it seems , with the increasing likelihood of year round ops with DL to JFK from next winter !

Old Age Pilot
24th Nov 2017, 21:51
BBC reporting:

Tug vehicle collides with passenger plane at Glasgow Airporthttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42118884

DaveReidUK
24th Nov 2017, 22:33
Working link: Tug vehicle collides with passenger plane at Glasgow Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-42118884)

ScotsSLF
25th Nov 2017, 08:42
Seven aircraft diverted to PIK as EDI would not accept any diversions. Only the BA LGW flight cancelled

GLAEDI
25th Nov 2017, 09:09
That’s going to be a very expensive insurance claim. The only grace for BA is that BA maintainance should be able to patch up the aircraft

Callum Paterson
27th Nov 2017, 13:09
Wizz Air dropping Gdansk. From a peak of 8 destinations to now just two, it's a shame to see the Wizz network from GLA deteriorate. Hopefully we don't see a complete pull out, but I wouldn't be surprised if we do.

mwm991
27th Nov 2017, 13:27
Thats Brexit all over, Wizz scaling back UK regional ops as a result.

willy wombat
27th Nov 2017, 14:34
Obviously partly Brexit but also with improving economies in the former Eastern Bloc countries quite a lot of people are going home which also reduces demand

CabinCrewe
27th Nov 2017, 15:45
Think it was inevitable on these boom and bust type of inbound migration routes. Very little outbound tourism.
Will be more to come.
Surprised Wizz dont try some alternative non Eastern bloc routes.

Callum Paterson
6th Dec 2017, 18:07
I think it's now fair to strongly discredit the source which claimed there would be an A380 announcement in November.

rob39
12th Dec 2017, 14:35
Whats happening at GLA Easyjet,Ryanair diverted to PIK and G-BNWX BA in a holding pattern

EGPFlyer
12th Dec 2017, 15:07
Runway deicing I think

CabinCrewe
12th Dec 2017, 17:46
Formally closed for 50 mins with some holding and some ultimately diverting.
Difficult scenario of warming temps delivering rain onto frozen ground temps. Hard to predict and on a minute by minute basis. Last aircraft to try was a FR 737 from DUB but abandoned and left for PIK. Some of the BAs went to EDI but held and then ferried over to GLA.

goldeneye
12th Dec 2017, 17:54
The LCY’ tonight’s were cancelled, was this related.

VickersVicount
14th Dec 2017, 11:53
Looks like the funding from all parties for any ongoing further development of Glasgow rail link (in any form) has been put on hold...
Doesnt bode well.

Callum Paterson
14th Dec 2017, 12:20
Sums up the Scottish Parliament as a whole.

Balgowan
14th Dec 2017, 12:43
A nonsensical comment.

CabinCrewe
5th Jan 2018, 16:03
Surprised to see all the summer KL Scottish cuts to AMS. 3x day is very low for GLA

VickersVicount
11th Jan 2018, 18:52
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/travel/places-to-visit.html
Impressive No.10, would be good to resurge the ailing central NY market in and out of GLA

BHX5DME
11th Jan 2018, 19:09
Glasgow Airport recorded its busiest year ever in 2017 as more than 9.9 million passengers travelled through its doors, representing an annual increase of 5.8%.

The airport significantly added to its growing destination list with the launch of a number of new Ryanair services to European cities including Madrid, Frankfurt, Lisbon, Krakow and Valencia.
Glasgow also continued to strengthen its position as Scotland’s principal long-haul airport with a new direct Delta Air Lines route to New York-JFK, record passenger numbers on the daily double Dubai service and additional flights to Orlando. Scotland’s only direct service from Seoul operated by Korean Air also returned in 2017 with an additional 25% capacity.
In December more than 618,100 people travelled through the terminal, however, adverse weather conditions resulted in a marginal -1.5% decrease on passenger numbers on the same period in 2016.
International traffic was up by 2.3% due to strong demand for winter sun destinations including the Canary Islands and European city breaks, with Christmas markets in Munich, Berlin, Dusseldorf and Krakow proving popular. The poor weather conditions in December also led to a -5.2% reduction on domestic traffic.
Amanda McMillan, managing director of Glasgow Airport, said: “2017 was a fantastic year for the airport. To carry more than 9.9 million passengers is a huge achievement and testament to the hard work put in by more than 5000 people across the airport.
“It was also particularly pleasing that we were able to considerably increase our connectivity, particularly across Europe, by securing more than 30 routes and services during the year.
“Over the last 12 months we also made considerable improvements to the airport by investing more than £25 million on a number of successful projects including the resurfacing of the runway, increasing aircraft stand capacity and the opening of our new consolidated car rental centre. Phase one of the expansion project to increase our Central Search security area by 20 per cent also got underway in December and should be completed in the first quarter of 2018.

“While Glasgow Airport enters 2018 in a position of strength, the wider aviation industry faces a number of challenges in the year ahead. These challenges will be particularly heightened by the Brexit situation, so it’s important we have clarity as early as possible on how the UK’s future relationship with the European Union will work.”

occasional
15th Mar 2018, 10:25
I am accustomed to hire a car from Glasgow airport during the summer. This year car hire prices seem to have increased by 20 -30 %.
Has something happened at Glasgow which has pushed up the cost of car hire ?

milleriom
15th Mar 2018, 13:18
I am accustomed to hire a car from Glasgow airport during the summer. This year car hire prices seem to have increased by 20 -30 %.

In a word: GREED!

WilliumMate
15th Mar 2018, 13:27

If you collect in Glasgow rather than the airport the same company and car is about £50 a week cheaper.

John MacCalman
18th Mar 2018, 18:27
Hi Folks

I am doing some research into the airlines offering direct Transatlantic services from GLA to North America in the period 1993-1995 and in particular the service offered by United to Washington Dulles Airport.
I believe during that period we had
Northwest
BA
American
Air Canada
United

Eventually they all pulled out!
Any help would be appreciated - I just like to get my facts right.

CabinCrewe
18th Mar 2018, 20:12
BA was a combination sequentially of Tristars, 767's and 757's operating BOS, JFK and EWR in various guises. Think the similar BHX experiment added YYZ to the triangle.
Air Canada to YYZ was trumpetted at one point in the press as it was operated by 742 for a while. And a direct 762 service to YHZ if I recall
United IAD was 762 starting in the old Saul Bass livery.

John MacCalman
19th Mar 2018, 02:55
BA was a combination sequentially of Tristars, 767's and 757's operating BOS, JFK and EWR in various guises. Think the similar BHX experiment added YYZ to the triangle.
Air Canada to YYZ was trumpetted at one point in the press as it was operated by 742 for a while. And a direct 762 service to YHZ if I recall
United IAD was 762 starting in the old Saul Bass livery.

Thanks. Appreciate the info. I believe UAL actually trashed the market causing nearly all of them to pack the routes in heralding lean times for Glasgow for a while.

malcolm380
19th Mar 2018, 18:52
wasn't there also a weekly GLA Air Canada service to Vancouver, or am I imagining that?

sinbad73
20th Mar 2018, 00:29
AC operated YYZ, YVR, YYC, YHZ from GLA and unless I am mistaken they also offered YYT for one season.

Skipness One Echo
20th Mar 2018, 14:16
AC dropped YHZ in about 1992. YYC/YVR was offered for a couple of summers around 96/97? YYT was never flown from GLA.

Skipness One Echo
20th Mar 2018, 14:26
NWA moved DC10-40 operated NW34/35 from PIK-BOS to GLA-BOS in May-90, was dropped late 1994 as NWA fed their new AMS hub with KLM.
Air Canada moved PIK-YYZ May-90, went seasonal, then was dropped by end 2005(?)
American flew GLA-ORD May-90, later went seasonal and also latterly dropped.
BA only flew to JFK at weekends from Aug-90 with TriStars then 767s, then moved to Newark, still Fri-Sun only, moved back to JFK when BA passed the route to BA Regional, dropped to 757s, then flew GLA-JFK-BOS (flew over BOS to get to JFK!) then went seasonal on the 767 before ending.
United launched GLA-IAD Aug-93 and flew a year before splitting loads with AMS and ending Jan95.

As STAR Alliance was the way forward, United could then feed their new LHR flights with BMI with no need to fly to Scotland where yields were awful. Too many business travelers still used the many more options over LHR.

By 1998 when Continental launched GLA-EWR, competition had died down, and now UNITED have dropped GLA once again, albeit to seasonal.

sinbad73
20th Mar 2018, 17:19
AC dropped YHZ in about 1992. YYC/YVR was offered for a couple of summers around 96/97? YYT was never flown from GLA.

I was fairly sure they operated GLA-YYT-YHZ for one short season.

OntimeexceptACARS
23rd Mar 2018, 16:14
Still no February figures published, for either GLA or ABZ. I know they'll be down, but surely no reason not to share?

GLAEDI
23rd Mar 2018, 17:09
Jan figures were late also. Glasgow needs some good news soon. Hopefully the transition to the new CEO of the group will mean a new period of growth.

BFS BHD
3rd Apr 2018, 19:27
New routes to Kos & Naples on sale for Summer 2019 with Jet2.

Keyvon
5th Apr 2018, 15:09
New for S19 is Endifha (Tunisia) with TUI.

5th Apr 2018, 22:27
I'd missed the KLM cut . Just discovered it by way of having to book a batch of flights to Edinburgh instead :-(

GLAEDI
6th Apr 2018, 20:35
Some good news for GLA as a 7th Jet2.com aircraft to be based there. Will help soffen the blow of the airline with the blue fin & gold harp saying goodbye

https://www.jet2.com/News/Summer_19_from_Glasgow_Airport_is_a_scorcher/

A350Saltire
6th Apr 2018, 23:45
GLA could lose out on more EK capacity to DXB to EDI. Can’t wait to see what happens here

canberra97
7th Apr 2018, 00:43
GLA could lose out on more EK capacity to DXB to EDI. Can’t wait to see what happens here

I take it that your just assuming this?

GLAEDI
7th Apr 2018, 06:18
I take it that your just assuming this?

I think he loves the idea of people losing their jobs and has hatred all Scottish Airports apart from one. This is based on his numerous posts running down GLA,PIK,DND and ABZ. The demise of EY at EDI will hopefully mean a stable platform for EK at GLA and QR at EDI.

HH6702
7th Apr 2018, 07:12
Can't see EK moving from GLA

A350Saltire
7th Apr 2018, 07:35
I think he loves the idea of people losing their jobs and has hatred all Scottish Airports apart from one. This is based on his numerous posts running down GLA,PIK,DND and ABZ. The demise of EY at EDI will hopefully mean a stable platform for EK at GLA and QR at EDI.

If you would like to point me to any of these numerous posts that would be great - I’ve never mentioned ABZ, PIK or DND so I’d appreciate if you could retract your statement.

I’m just an interested bystander. It’s just fascinating to watch airports compete with each other properly. I’m basing it on what I’m hearing, and I said “could”.

Flightrider
7th Apr 2018, 09:14
Wishful thinking, I'd say. I cannot see EK dismantling a twice daily GLA as it looks to do just fine and the loss of connectivity that you get on a single daily is quite significant. Whether they would consider EDI in its own right is another question completely but suggesting a move is pure baiting, I believe.

A350Saltire
7th Apr 2018, 09:50
Wishful thinking, I'd say. I cannot see EK dismantling a twice daily GLA as it looks to do just fine and the loss of connectivity that you get on a single daily is quite significant. Whether they would consider EDI in its own right is another question completely but suggesting a move is pure baiting, I believe.

I don’t think they will either as the GLA service has been very successful.

What I meant was that the third daily often discussed as on the cards for GLA could be going to EDI instead and I believe it would be a success there too.

HH6702
7th Apr 2018, 14:40
Instead of NCL getting a second evening service could they go for a evening service into EDI?

They like to have lunchtime flights first though

EK77WNCL
7th Apr 2018, 15:51
I'm no expert, but surely it would be to the benefit of Emirates, the travelling public and in the long run, the airports, for Emirates to build GLA up to 3 daily with an A380 on the lunchtime, start an evening flight into Newcastle and then consider expanding to Edinburgh when they have further secured their existing services. This also gives Qatar a chance to grow EDI first, without creating an apocalyptic bloodbath...

I'd like to think that Emirates are more responsible than to flood the Scottish market. Qatar will do what they want, best to let them get on with their willy waving

Mister Geezer
7th Apr 2018, 17:05
Correct me if I am wrong but I am led to believe that EK is a non starter at EDI, as there is no contact stand large enough to accommodate the 777-300, as it is 14m longer than the 332 (which is marginally longer than the 788).

skyman771
7th Apr 2018, 17:36
[QUOTE=HH6702;10110286]Instead of NCL getting a second evening service could they go for a evening service into EDI?

Unsure what on earth you are talking about, ie why bother making statement at all? :confused:

inOban
7th Apr 2018, 17:58
Correct me if I am wrong but I am led to believe that EK is a non starter at EDI, as there is no contact stand large enough to accommodate the 777-300, as it is 14m longer than the 332 (which is marginally longer than the 788).
Not even on the terminal extension, opening this summer?

edistevie
7th Apr 2018, 20:18
Not even on the terminal extension, opening this summer?

Haldane90's AvatarHaldane90 , 7th Apr 2018 19:02
EDI can accomdate up to a380 now with all works being finished come summer. I think they will have four stands that can take a 773.

HH6702
7th Apr 2018, 23:28
Skyman771 I think ncl is due to get a second flight which will be a evening flight.

What are the chances of the aircraft going to Edinburgh instead ?? I'm guessing none but you never know in this business

EK77WNCL
8th Apr 2018, 12:27
HH6702, you do realise that Edinburgh and Newcastle are actually different markets? They aren't interchangeable...

CabinCrewe
8th Apr 2018, 14:01
...doesnt mean any planned second aircraft couldnt be redeployed if felt to be more profitable elsewhere. How full is the current 773 on NCL- didnt think it was mid/high 90's

A380.Q400
8th Apr 2018, 14:30
...doesnt mean any planned second aircraft couldnt be redeployed if felt to be more profitable elsewhere. How full is the current 773 on NCL- didnt think it was mid/high 90's

In 2017, Emirates carried 237,856 pax on DXB-NCL. The route is flown by the two-class B77W with 428 seats, giving an average load factor of 76%. To compare, Emirates have an 89% load factor on their double daily DXB-GLA service, and the average load factor across the Emirates network is 77%.

OltonPete
8th Apr 2018, 14:38
Interesting debate in respect of Emirates next step in Scotland or for that matter North East England or maybe more relevant to the Emirates thread.

Source: CAA Annual Figures for 2017

GLA-DXB 2017 passengers 466953 up 9% an average of 320 per flight or 89% load factor based on 360 seats assuming all flights operated (no idea) and that all were 360 config (they were not).

NCL-DXB 2017 passengers 237856 up 3% an average of 326 or 76% load factor based on 428 seats but of course Newcastle have in the past depending on the time of year get 3 class versions, which would mean the load factor is in fact higher than 76% but relevant if it is to stay a 2-class service.

So what will it be if EY leave EDI, as suggested.

1) Glasgow third service
2) Glasgow A388 & 77W (3 Class)
3) New EDI 77W service
4) Evening NCL service (That wouldn't affect any extra GLA service though I presume)
5) Some of the above
6) None of the above

Forgive me for those who live in NE England but option 4 seems to way off at present if Glasgow at 89% has got nothing as yet.

Option 1 - At this stage you think that there would be two chances - no chance and fat chance based on their BHX experience and even more illustrious airports such as Milan, Rome , Munich and Frankfurt have struggled in the past with frequency cuts although I believe the third service has been restored at most of these now.

I won't reference Manchester in this as their EK service has been outstanding and in a league of its own in general but they were once rumoured to get a 4th service and that has not happened.....yet

Perhaps eventually options 2 and 3 could happen once the 787-10 is in the fleet?

I just can't see 6 as an option - surely too good of an opportunity to be missed?

Pete

inOban
8th Apr 2018, 16:51
Or of course Qatar could add a second service on some or all days.

Remember that from Edinburgh the shortest routes to Japan and China are further north via CPN or Helsinki. Although I have a friend who travels from Edinburgh to China every year and travels to GLA for Emirates. Must ask him why.

Edinburgh also has Istanbul as an alternative hub for Africa SE Asia and Australia. And if I wanted to break my journey, I'd want to do so in somewhere interesting.

nighthawk117
9th Apr 2018, 10:58
Edinburgh also has Istanbul as an alternative hub for Africa SE Asia and Australia. And if I wanted to break my journey, I'd want to do so in somewhere interesting.

Turkish don't fly to Australia, and their coverage of South East Asia is quite limited. Not sure how old this route map is though:

http://travelskills.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Screen-Shot-2015-03-18-at-9.28.54-AM.png

A380.Q400
9th Apr 2018, 13:07
Turkish don't fly to Australia, and their coverage of South East Asia is quite limited. Not sure how old this route map is though:

Your route map looks like it's a couple of years old, but not much has changed since then. Turkish only fly to about 20 destinations in NE Asia, SE Asia and India. That being said, these destinations encompass the most popular destinations for connecting passengers, so for most people flying to Asia it's a suitable alternative to the ME3. Also, while Turkish themselves don't serve Australia, they do codeshare with Singapore Airlines, THAI and Qantas with connections in SIN, BKK, HKG and CGK; it just means passengers would have two stopovers instead of one.

Skipness One Echo
12th Apr 2018, 11:58
Are EZY really dropping GLA-STN? With FR gone they were back to a monopoly, no longer bookable from end of the summer.

monkey.tennis
24th Apr 2018, 14:07
Does anyone know when EZY will release AMS, JER, CDG and STN? It seems odd that these are the only flights yet to be released across the entire EZY network.

billyg
24th Apr 2018, 15:07
Does anyone know when EZY will release AMS, JER, CDG and STN? It seems odd that these are the only flights yet to be released across the entire EZY network.

EZY Commercial director is supposedly in Glasgow today for some sort of discussions before the announcement on these routes (and more?) is made tomorrow

monkey.tennis
24th Apr 2018, 15:18
EZY Commercial director is supposedly in Glasgow today for some sort of discussions before the announcement on these routes (and more?) is made tomorrow

Interesting. Contraction or expansion I wonder?

GrahamK
24th Apr 2018, 15:22
Jet2 add Izmir and Bourgas for S19

A350Saltire
26th Apr 2018, 10:00
I believe MXP dropped and everything else remains as is so reduction at GLA as it stands. There is obviously time for Easyjet to add more.

Skipness One Echo
8th May 2018, 08:38
When United dropped GLA for the winter after 19 years of continuous service, did they have any loyal staff they let go or is the whole operation 3rd party handled?

Mister Geezer
8th May 2018, 10:28
I would suspect there would have been at least one person employed by UA to oversee Glasgow and to act as a liaison between the airline and the various organisations at the airport but this of course could be merged with another airport. EK (for example) have a handful of their own staff at GLA to oversee the day to day operation and this is of course is in addition to the Swissport groundstaff that handle the flights.

Nil further
8th May 2018, 15:32
EZY are about to announce an expansion in GLA ......remember where you heard it first .......:)

snn20
8th May 2018, 15:41
When United dropped GLA for the winter after 19 years of continuous service, did they have any loyal staff they let go or is the whole operation 3rd party handled?
I know for Shannon, which suffered similar albeit shorter cutbacks, they kept on 2 members of staff over the winter. The UA Manager for SNN and another member of staff. Would assume its the same for GLA

CabinCrewe
8th May 2018, 16:18
EZY are about to announce an expansion in GLA ......remember where you heard it first .......:)
No, its been mooted/semi announced on various outlets/portals for weeks, so most defintely not heard here first (if it comes to spectacular fruition)
I think the general manager even publicly announced it some weeks ago...

inOban
8th May 2018, 16:47
There are obvious city destinations such as Berlin Madrid and Lisbon which I would expect Easyjet to pick up

Nil further
8th May 2018, 17:00
EZY have been operating Berlin from GLA for at least 15 years , finger on the pulse there inOban :)

inOban
8th May 2018, 17:10
Sorry! I thought since FR flew 6pw, that they had it to themselves. Jo

inOban
8th May 2018, 17:11
Sorry! I thought since FR flew 6pw, that they had it to themselves.

VickersVicount
19th May 2018, 18:04
Nice to see the 767 on the KEF run as a tech sub for 757.
Thats 753, 752, 738M and 763 to GLA in recent times.

OntimeexceptACARS
20th May 2018, 07:28
Don't think it was a tech sub, as it was planned for at least a couple of weeks. Unless planned maint impacted 757 availability.

VickersVicount
24th May 2018, 18:30
https://worldairlinenews.com/2018/05/24/delta-offering-more-trans-atlantic-flying-than-ever/

return of the 'popular' JFK-GLA

Donkey497
3rd Jun 2018, 12:40
Does anyone know if there was an exercise on Friday or was there a precaution shout for external help just around 12:45?

Noticed a load of red, white & flashing blue had been let in through the emergency gate at the north end of the runway as we were waiting to take off.

CabinCrewe
3rd Jun 2018, 13:31
Does BA Maintenance GLA only take one Airbus at any one time? I previously thought it had width/capacity for two Airbus narrowbodies (or was it just 737's). I see some of seat capacity change work being done in the leased hanger at PIK instead.

GLAEDI
3rd Jun 2018, 14:56
BAMG has space for two in the hanger and one outside (personally saw two inside last week and one parked outside last week). It has been common for them to use PIK as an overspill (they did some skin repairs on the fleet there recently), they can also be visitors for some training at PIK also. I suggest they’re busy with the usual line maintenance, the extra work on the Config change, means taking some of that work to PIK.

Mister Geezer
8th Jun 2018, 23:05
The Korean Air return trip on the 7th June tech stopped in Yerevan on the way back to Seoul. Problems with the Russian overflight clearance for the return sector I suspect?

awwdabaaby
9th Jun 2018, 06:35
The Korean Air return trip on the 7th June tech stopped in Yerevan on the way back to Seoul. Problems with the Russian overflight clearance for the return sector I suspect?

was to collect passengers from a previous charter flight

VickersVicount
9th Jun 2018, 10:29
No. Was a planned stop and from arriving empty there, operated another flight now carrying passengers onward back to Seoul.

Breathe
10th Jun 2018, 14:39
Is it too early to tell what impact EK starting to flights from EDI is having on bookings from GLA? Hopefully it shouldn't have too much effect (I like to see all Scottish airports do well).

On another question, is it likely that with FR moving most of their flights to EDI, GLA will be unlikely to break the 10 million passengers mark this year?

Cheers

sinbad73
10th Jun 2018, 23:30
Yes and yes.

tictack67
11th Jun 2018, 16:44
I had a return to OZ via Dubai from Glasgow. I have called them up and I was able to switch it from and to Edinburgh, so those that have already a booking from Glasgow who live near Edinburgh may switch their booking, which may affect current booked flights. I am in Y class but was able to change for £0

I agree it is great news for both Scottish airprts

Is it too early to tell what impact EK starting to flights from EDI is having on bookings from GLA? Hopefully it shouldn't have too much effect (I like to see all Scottish airports do well).

On another question, is it likely that with FR moving most of their flights to EDI, GLA will be unlikely to break the 10 million passengers mark this year?

Cheers

sinbad73
11th Jun 2018, 22:59
I had a return to OZ via Dubai from Glasgow. I have called them up and I was able to switch it from and to Edinburgh, so those that have already a booking from Glasgow who live near Edinburgh may switch their booking, which may affect current booked flights. I am in Y class but was able to change for £0

I agree it is great news for both Scottish airprts

I wondered if they might let people do that.

Cyrano
13th Jun 2018, 14:04
Ryanair will base 3 aircraft in Southend and pull out of Glasgow, according to this FT article (https://www.ft.com/content/e8cba45a-6ef3-11e8-852d-d8b934ff5ffa?tagToFollow=d83d0667-fb03-477f-8551-7e72f6234c41).

Mr O’Brien also said Ryanair would stop its operations from Glasgow airport at the end of the summer, “not to be reopened for the foreseeable future”, because of the airport’s remoteness, decreasing demand and high air passenger duty.

Skipness One Foxtrot
13th Jun 2018, 14:34
Mr O’Brien also said Ryanair would stop its operations from Glasgow airport at the end of the summer, “not to be reopened for the foreseeable future”, because of the airport’s remoteness, decreasing demand and high air passenger duty.
The remoteness to GLA's geography towards Glasgow is easily solved by Ryanair's continued commitment to Glasgow-Prestwick. In Ayrshire.
I got nothing anymore, what's the point? :bored:

Cyrano
13th Jun 2018, 14:42
The remoteness to GLA's geography towards Glasgow is easily solved by Ryanair's continued commitment to Glasgow-Prestwick. In Ayrshire.
I got nothing anymore, what's the point? :bored:
I assumed that someone just fat-fingered the "excuses" pulldown menu in the Ryanair insta-press-release generator.:hmm:

scr1
13th Jun 2018, 18:09
Probably more like the deal they got to move to Glasgow is about to run out and they would have to pay the same rate as anyone else.

nighthawk117
13th Jun 2018, 18:16
I saw that quote earlier and it confused me a little. The "remoteness" comment made absolutely no sense. I wondered if they meant Prestwick for a minute, and had just called it "Glasgow" out of laziness. The quote also seems to read like it's a complete pullout, however the original intention was for a handful of routes to remain. Are these still to continue through the winter?

muggins
13th Jun 2018, 18:26
When Ryanair announced, at the end of February, the pullout from GLA after Oct 2018 and increases at Edinburgh, they blamed the high level of APD at GLA. Maybe its the remoteness that pushes up the APD?

inOban
13th Jun 2018, 20:31
They retain routes from Prestwick because it's a maintenance base. A frame leaving on one of its routes will swap its crew at the destination with a frame due to come in.

Callum Paterson
30th Jun 2018, 00:02
The relationship between GLA and Ryanair appears to be worsening, well, what's left of it anyway.

Ryanair appear to be suspending many GLA flights from August rather than the end of October as originally planned.

I'm sure Loganair can save the utterly useless 'Team GLA'. :rolleyes:

Fletch
30th Jun 2018, 10:57
Are you referring to GLA management as "utterly useless"? If so, in what way?

inOban
30th Jun 2018, 11:10
In previous years they would have been operating a full summer schedule during September and October, but filling the a/c at fares which were barely covering their marginal costs. Perfect sense to drop marginal routes and cut the frequency on the core summer lines.

mwm991
30th Jun 2018, 12:44
The only way I see Ryanair having any additional presence at GLA again is if Prestwick's commercial ops goes belly up.

Callum Paterson
30th Jun 2018, 15:57
EDI will take the Ryanair aircraft currently based at PIK, IMO.

737aviator
30th Jun 2018, 17:21
Perfect sense to drop marginal routes and cut the frequency on the core summer lines.

Stansted and Warsaw are core summer routes?

From a look at the timetable it appears one of the two based aircraft is now leaving the base 2 months early and a search on social media would indicate these cancellations started happening a week or two ago... Found quite a few of these kinds of reports out there; https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/23/womans-fury-ryanair-cancel-flight-rearrange-leaving-25-minutes-lisbon-7654901/

CabinCrewe
30th Jun 2018, 17:33
Theyve coped without Ryanair and their antics up until now so they'll cope again going forward and have reserves and capacity when others will reach gridlock and plateaeu.
LH for example, so far, seems to be doing ok on FRA (which might have been marginalised with longer term FR competition), plus the apparent EZY suggestion of expansion will do no harm. Once PIK goes, the landscape/politics and Ryanair shenanigans may take another turn.
Still some FR non based flying continuing.

inOban
30th Jun 2018, 18:59
It doesn't seem clever to cut back Lisbon to once a week when the service is shifting to Edinburgh, where it will be up against ezy at 3/wk

Mister Geezer
3rd Jul 2018, 23:14
On the topic of APD and other charges, I looked at two once way LH flights on the same day and the total taxes/charges from EDI were actually slightly higher than GLA.

4eyed anorak
11th Jul 2018, 14:47
Anyone got any idea what new route is being announced tomorrowL

Regards 4ea

planedrive
11th Jul 2018, 16:12
easyJet new winter 18/19 routes are being announced tomorrow so will be something from them.

Callum Paterson
12th Jul 2018, 12:16
Typical GLA under AGS and its current management team. All the big talk and promise of significant expansion, this time from easyJet. And what do they deliver? A reduced winter schedule. Laughable, really.

VickersVicount
18th Aug 2018, 19:59
Thursdays this month have all been 767-300's on PHL-GLA, was that planned? Slight increase in seats and good cargo extra regardless.

sinbad73
21st Aug 2018, 15:17
GLA-PHL cancelled effective end of S18. EDI-JFK and GLA-PHL being replaced by EDI-PHL from S19.

VickersVicount
21st Aug 2018, 16:22
interesting given the previous attempt with that service. Good to see DL offering an extend GLA-JFK next year.
Shame for there to be no AA presence at GLA for now.

PDXCWL45
21st Aug 2018, 16:50
GLA-PHL cancelled effective end of S18. EDI-JFK and GLA-PHL being replaced by EDI-PHL from S19.

All the flights you've mentioned saying they are cancelled are still onsale on Ameerican Airlines website.

Flightrider
21st Aug 2018, 17:00
AA press release on line clear as day - EDI/JFK, GLA/PHL and most surprising of all, MAN/ORD all gone. Only EDI/PHL to replace it. Hardly a resounding vote of confidence in AA's joint venture partner's sales efforts in the UK regions.

PDXCWL45
21st Aug 2018, 17:12
All the flights you've mentioned saying they are cancelled are still onsale on Ameerican Airlines website.

Correction i've now seen the update which says they are cancelled! My apologies!

snn20
21st Aug 2018, 17:27
Flts will be taken off sale on the 27th

mwm991
21st Aug 2018, 19:26
Some amount of lost service at GLA the last couple of years. Turning into a mickey mouse airport.

willy wombat
21st Aug 2018, 20:20
I don't think it's that surprising as with the pound so low against the dollar, the yields on ex UK traffic must bring tears to the eyes. Add to that fuel price increases.....

nivsy
21st Aug 2018, 20:25
The AA service is seasonal. Interest in holidays in USA dwindling I suspect. It's another blow for GLA though.

Skipness One Foxtrot
22nd Aug 2018, 00:01
AA service is seasonal. Interest in holidays in USA dwindling I suspect. It's another blow for GLA though
And yet Norwegian have shown enormous demand out of Gatwick and United maintain EDI at three daily in summer. ORD-MAN was self inflicted managed decline from AA and PHL-EDI aligns with the move out of JFK for connecting traffic. Oddly enough this shows the STRENGTH of the IAG/AA JV rather than a weakness at AA as LHR is a BA/AA fortress hub and they can connect easily to GLA whereas EDI has enough pull for inbound US visitors to remain direct.
Will Rouge dump GLA and go daily at EDI next year? Just what are ASG Airports doing so badly wrong? In the biggest boom years any of us have lived through, growth at GLA just has no momentum.

GLAEDI
22nd Aug 2018, 07:22
Some amount of lost service at GLA the last couple of years. Turning into a mickey mouse airport.

Despite the loss of some routes the figures are steady will be around 10m pax per annum not much of a Mickey Mouse Airport. Expansion finally happening in the International pier at Stand 30 and Immigration arrivals also.

mwm991
22nd Aug 2018, 08:13
Figures will be well down next year with the loss of Ryanair. This has been chopped, UA gone seasonal, AF were barely here. Wizz cut back most of their routes and even niche routes like Vegas gone for next year.

Pretty naive point of view you are taking.

Skipness One Foxtrot
22nd Aug 2018, 09:40
@GLAEDI steady figures in a fast growing market (see EDI growth rate in comparison) is a relative decline.
GLA continues to lose Scottish market share.

nef
22nd Aug 2018, 10:03
This is the latest in a long string of of lost routes, the number being lost for w18 is major and now this. Iirc All we have seen as replacements is an e145 to ldy, 2 weekly to vce and a month extra dl to jfk!

And the loss of PHL comes despite the latest ons tourism figures showing US visits to Glasgow up 40% in 2017 - No excuses there seemingly!

I think there must be serious questions about ags abilities to run the airport and compete with gip EDI - I suspect they're totally outfoxed and outfinanced. They need to come up with some big wins soon, although I'm not holding my breath!

mullac30
22nd Aug 2018, 12:46
Despite the loss of some routes the figures are steady will be around 10m pax per annum not much of a Mickey Mouse Airport. Expansion finally happening in the International pier at Stand 30 and Immigration arrivals also.
Wasn't that mean't to be an A380 gate? I thought the prospect of the A380 at GLA was done for when EK annouced EDI?

A350Saltire
22nd Aug 2018, 13:20
Wasn't that mean't to be an A380 gate? I thought the prospect of the A380 at GLA was done for when EK annouced EDI?

Apparently its still coming but you would think that EK might wait to see how the EDI and GLA routes co-exist first.

mullac30
22nd Aug 2018, 13:44
Apparently its still coming but you would think that EK might wait to see how the EDI and GLA routes co-exist first.
Seems like you're right, I just had a look at the planning permission and it mentions in a letter dated to 27th June 2018 that "The proposed extension to the terminal has not changed. However, plans have been revised to amend the two fixed links to accommodate three airbridges and external stairs.". Sounds like they are pushing ahead with what definitely sounds like an A380 gate regardless of the EDI announcement.

awwdabaaby
22nd Aug 2018, 15:36
My thinking is the EDI announcement came due to the A380 coming to Glasgow, the 777 that will go to EDI will take the bulk of the cargo that the current 777 at Glasgow takes due to the reduced cargo capacity of the A380

nivsy
22nd Aug 2018, 18:03
[QUOTE=Skipness One Foxtrot;10230145]
And yet Norwegian have shown enormous demand out of Gatwick and United maintain EDI at three daily in summer. ORD-MAN was self inflicted managed decline from AA and PHL-EDI aligns with the move out of JFK for connecting traffic. Oddly enough this shows the STRENGTH of the IAG/AA JV rather than a weakness at AA as LHR is a BA/AA fortress hub and they can connect easily to GLA whereas EDI has enough pull for inbound US visitors to remain direct

.The catchment area around MAN and LGW is far greater than GLA. Truth of the matter is and has been, both GLA and EDI are too close together. Imagine, one central airport. It would be a far better competitive prospect a d produce real opportunity for route growth and better frequencies. Alas, it will never happen.

A350Saltire
22nd Aug 2018, 21:04
My thinking is the EDI announcement came due to the A380 coming to Glasgow, the 777 that will go to EDI will take the bulk of the cargo that the current 777 at Glasgow takes due to the reduced cargo capacity of the A380

Surely they would have just put a third 777 into GLA if that was the case?

A350Saltire
29th Aug 2018, 12:30
Any news on July 2018 passenger figures from GLA yet? They are usually fairly quick to report these.

inOban
29th Aug 2018, 12:52
Like most airports they are quick to report good news eg when they are rising.

4eyed anorak
29th Aug 2018, 13:22
C.A.A data doesn't want to play somehow although its available via the Cardiff thread.
Passenger figures for Glasgow were for July 1,066,159 -1.5% compared to 2017.
Running total stands at 982210 +0.9%.

Regards 4ea

LFT
29th Aug 2018, 19:32
Any news on July 2018 passenger figures from GLA yet? They are usually fairly quick to report these.

They were available publicly yesterday, but I think you knew that.

A350Saltire
29th Aug 2018, 20:46
They were available publicly yesterday, but I think you knew that.

No, hence why I asked. There was nothing on the GLA website.

Not great anyway.

Skipness One Foxtrot
6th Sep 2018, 19:03
Are Emirates sending a third daily flight into Scotland with EDI as well as an A380 to GLA? With Stand 30 now closed for upgrade works, are GLA spending money in vain?

inOban
6th Sep 2018, 20:23
With Etihad stopping the day before Emirates start, there's little change in ME3 capacity from Edinburgh. But of course, the public will decide which airport they wish to use.

edi_local
6th Sep 2018, 23:05
With Etihad stopping the day before Emirates start, there's little change in ME3 capacity from Edinburgh. But of course, the public will decide which airport they wish to use.

There is a fairly big change. The EK777 is an upgrade on the EY332 anyway, plus the EK departure is later at night and is 7 days per week (until runway works in DXB anyway) as opposed to EYs 5 per week in the morning.

I suspect once the runway is back to normal in DXB, they will attempt double daily from EDI. I don't think GLA will change to the 380 any time soon though.

Skipness One Foxtrot
7th Sep 2018, 00:03
Agreed, so does anyone know if GLA are spending money going A380 capable OR simply adding a second airbridge onto Stand 30 for the B777 or Virgin B744?

LOGICAL
7th Sep 2018, 06:39
Terminal extension and triple airbridge being installed for completion by summer 19.

What people need to remember is that whilst Edinburgh is the darling of the tourist world and sees a huge amount of inbound passengers Glasgow is Scotland’s biggest city and so has the critical mass. This is why most of the charter and holiday destinations have historically departed from the West.

I believe that EK looked at operating the 380 previously but lack of cargo capacity was the issue. With the EDI flight some of this can move east alleviating the issue at GLA and potentially allowing the 380 to operate one of the flights.

A350Saltire
7th Sep 2018, 07:59
Terminal extension and triple airbridge being installed for completion by summer 19.

What people need to remember is that whilst Edinburgh is the darling of the tourist world and sees a huge amount of inbound passengers Glasgow is Scotland’s biggest city and so has the critical mass. This is why most of the charter and holiday destinations have historically departed from the West.

I believe that EK looked at operating the 380 previously but lack of cargo capacity was the issue. With the EDI flight some of this can move east alleviating the issue at GLA and potentially allowing the 380 to operate one of the flights.

if we look at catchment areas though, they are much closer together and the east in particular is growing at a faster rate. Airports don’t just serve the cities.

LOGICAL
7th Sep 2018, 13:11
I agree the east is growing faster than the west but greater Glasgow has a population of 1.2m whereas Edinburgh has a population of under 0.5m.

As I said Edinburgh appears to have the tourists and the investment but Glasgow has a healthy catchment which is why Emirates have been flying for so long, and is why they are looking to up gauge one of the flights.

This is can all be achieved by putting an extra rotation through Edinburgh which is essentially picking up from where Etihad failed. This will take the cargo the 380 can’t and everyone is a winner. If it’s successful at Edinburgh there could be an additional daily flight but Emirates don’t appear to rush into these things so this could be a few years away.

Haldane90
7th Sep 2018, 14:51
if all goes well EK plan to go double daily at EDI after one year and talks are on going in regards to an EK lounge at EDI. I still think however GLA will see the 380.

crewmeal
8th Sep 2018, 10:42
I agree the east is growing faster than the west but greater Glasgow has a population of 1.2m whereas Edinburgh has a population of under 0.5m.

I suppose it all depends which of the two is more convienient for transport, parking costs, general facilities etc.

mwm991
8th Sep 2018, 11:18
Greater Glasgow has the much bigger population than Edinburgh, but it's the regional and secondary catchment that Edinburgh is well positioned for. It also benefits from ABZ being north of the city as well as GLA being to the west. After Edinburgh its immediate catchment is a decent size. Fife, Borders, Lothians, Tayside, Central Scotland and ideal also for sections of Lanarkshire and north of Dundee.

inOban
8th Sep 2018, 12:10
I have a cousin who lives in Lenzie, which I would assume is part of the 1.2million. He uses Edinburgh because the road access, via M80/M876/M9 is a reasonably reliable journey at any time of day, while the M80/M8 over the Kingston Bridge is often a nightmare.

Haldane90
8th Sep 2018, 13:35
I have family in Edinburgh, but i always compare prices, times etc between EDI & GLA as it takes only one hour to travel east, personally i dont buy into the east v west as i take full advantage of using both airports, which has the best price and timings as im sure the majority in the central belt and further would agree.

GoEDI
8th Sep 2018, 16:53
I have family in Edinburgh, but i always compare prices, times etc between EDI & GLA as it takes only one hour to travel east, personally i dont buy into the east v west as i take full advantage of using both airports, which has the best price and timings as im sure the majority in the central belt and further would agree.

Agreed. This is the sensible way of doing things to maximise options in terms of schedules and pricing. I have used both EDI and GLA in the past couple months. PIK is a bit more of a pain in the you know what though, so less likely to bother with that journey, although have used a few times in the past...

Rob Royston
9th Sep 2018, 09:24
Agreed. This is the sensible way of doing things to maximise options in terms of schedules and pricing. I have used both EDI and GLA in the past couple months. PIK is a bit more of a pain in the you know what though, so less likely to bother with that journey, although have used a few times in the past...
Agreed, if flying commercially the destination will be an important element in your choice of route. If the destination is served from London or Amsterdam then Glasgow is a consideration. You also have to look at the overall time spent in transit. A Glasgow resident can get up early, travel to EDI, catch the early flight to CDG and be having his evening meal in equatorial Africa. On the return journey, if his overnight gets into CDG in time to let him catch the early EDI flight, with clock changes he can be stepping of the train or bus in Glasgow before 10 AM.
For holiday flying, the three airports might offer three different choices to the one destination. Looking at all the flight times, there will be one that might work in better for you. All the airports are within a reasonable distance so must be considered.

ScotsSLF
10th Sep 2018, 07:56
We are very lucky in central Scotland to have the choice. EDi is a bit of a pain for me ( but not that bad at 1 hour 20) but flying from there next week to CWL. Usual departure point is GLA for business trips to LHR etc but flew from PIK this year to FAO due price of flights and parking etc.

rpmac
10th Sep 2018, 09:09
I agree with ScotsSLF that we have a good choice with two fine airports in central Scotland. Although Glasgow, for me, is a few miles shorter in distance Edinburgh is easier to get to and takes less time so generally Edinburgh is first choice however prices and timing play a big part in the final decision. We have friends who recently turned up at Edinburgh only to find that they had actually booked flights from Glasgow! A mad dash to Glasgow however did not save the day and they missed their flight.o

nighthawk117
10th Sep 2018, 12:16
We are very lucky in central Scotland to have the choice.

I wouldn't really say we are lucky, personally I think it dilutes and splits the market. We would be in a far better place if we had a single, central belt airport. You would probably be looking at an airport the size of Manchester, with a similar route network, if we did.

rpmac
10th Sep 2018, 19:24
Manchester!! No thanks - better as it is.

Skipness One Foxtrot
10th Sep 2018, 22:55
Agreed, GLA and EDI are both local airports that are now knocking lumps out of each other with EDI doing to GLA what GLA did to PIK. Left to the unregulated free market, EDI triumphs but won’t spend the money to rebuild whereas GLA stands empty for much of the day.
A proper central belt airport would require both EDI and GLA to close and we as the public, no longer own either of ‘em.

mwm991
14th Sep 2018, 20:46
Looks like Flybe to Southend is next for the bullet. I'm surprised they never chose to operate SEN-EDI instead.

billyg
14th Sep 2018, 23:20
Looks like Flybe to Southend is next for the bullet. I'm surprised they never chose to operate SEN-EDI instead.

Tried by EZY I believe , and binned !

GLAEDI
20th Sep 2018, 09:45
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.scotsman.com/news/transport/ryanair-to-reverse-glasgow-route-cuts-1-4802066/amp

Going, Going, Gone oh maybe not. What’s going on!!

awwdabaaby
20th Sep 2018, 09:55
They never were gone, there was always going to be a service over winter

GLAEDI
20th Sep 2018, 10:07
They never were gone, there was always going to be a service over winter

Ok maybe not gone but the reduction was just three routes 2xPOL and one to DUB. The press release was that they felt that Glasgow didn’t work and that the routes would move to PIK & EDI. Now it seems that the majority will return S19. Why take the flak for the bad PR and actually bring the flights back.

LandingConfig
20th Sep 2018, 10:48
Ok maybe not gone but the reduction was just three routes 2xPOL and one to DUB. The press release was that they felt that Glasgow didn’t work and that the routes would move to PIK & EDI. Now it seems that the majority will return S19. Why take the flak for the bad PR and actually bring the flights back.

Look at MAN in 2009, almost all routes chopped and capacity increased at LPL, LBA and EMA: https://www.ft.com/content/70c9ae02-8b59-11de-9f50-00144feabdc0

They know they can get what they want because of the volume of pax and thus revenue they bring to their airports. It's entirely for the PR and nothing to do with profitability of the routes themselves.

willy wombat
20th Sep 2018, 11:29
Could someone enlighten us as to what the link says as I am not registered for The Scotsman

awwdabaaby
20th Sep 2018, 11:51
Could someone enlighten us as to what the link says as I am not registered for The ScotsmanRyanair is to reverse its massive cuts from Glasgow, The Scotsman can reveal.

The budget airline shrunk the number of routes at the airport from 17 to three this winter but will increase them again next summer, aviation sources said.

The dramatic reduction, blamed on air passenger duty (APD) when announced in February, was understood to have been permanent rather than seasonal

Glasgow was left with Dublin, Wroclaw and Krakow, but four other routes have been added, with more expected to follow.

They are Warsaw Modlin, Malaga, Alicante and Brussels Charleroi, which are likely to start from March or April.

However, Ryanair is not expected to reinstate the one aircraft that was based at Glasgow, with the flights being operated by planes based elsewhere.

One source said: “Despite the vocal withdrawal of most services from Glasgow, they have reinstated several routes for Summer 2019.

“I am bound to wonder whether they will make any form of positive announcement to counteract the negative press earlier this year at the time of the pull-down.

“They do seem to be having a bit of a reshuffle but the volte face on Glasgow is pretty remarkable.”

Another source said: “Many Ryanair services are returning to Glasgow for summer 2019, all with away based aircraft.

“Seven routes added to the schedules so far, but expect more to be added.

"It will be interesting to see if routes such as Stansted, Berlin, Lisbon, Sofia and Madrid are included.”

However, Prestwick may lose flights.

So far, 44 flights a week are planned compared to 53 last summer and 60 in 2016.

Ryanair blamed the Scottish Government’s failure to halve APD from £13 to £6.50 per person per flight.

The airline refused to provide details of the changes.

A spokesman said: “Our summer 2019 schedule is being finalised and will be launched soon.”

willy wombat
20th Sep 2018, 12:05
Thank you very much

Skipness One Foxtrot
20th Sep 2018, 20:39
Oh bless them they're nothing if not predictable.
Flew STN-GLA recently and was rammed both ways, mind you yields as ever may not cut the mustard.

4eyed anorak
28th Sep 2018, 14:28
August Stats.

A.T.M _1.7% Rollong Year 0.4%

Passengers 1,011,789 +0.3% Rolling Year 9,825,131 +0.2%

Regards 4ea

A350Saltire
3rd Oct 2018, 07:06
I believe TS to YVR will not operate in 2019.

CabinCrewe
3rd Oct 2018, 07:54
Hasnt been bookable since last month so you believe correctly. Given the huge jump in connections through Toronto and Halifax its not surprising. Great still to have TS operating a decent schedule (most on A330) to YYZ for S19.

mwm991
3rd Oct 2018, 07:58
I'm surprised that route lasted as long as it did.

Another lost destination to add to the many in the last year or so but more important for the airport to preserve its hub routes in the bigger picture.

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Oct 2018, 15:33
Is this the first time since the PIK days Scotland hasn’t had a direct YVR flight in summer? Albeit often via YYC?

LFT
3rd Oct 2018, 18:40
I'm surprised that route lasted as long as it did.

Why is that?

mwm991
3rd Oct 2018, 20:48
Cause airports larger than Glasgow have failed to sustain such distance services, even at 1x weekly on a seasonal basis.

Skipness One Foxtrot
3rd Oct 2018, 23:21
There was a strong west of Scotland diaspora after heavy emigration after the war, hence was a full B747 for Wardair and an L1011-500 with Air Canada in summer which Air Transat inherited and maintained.