PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Airways-2

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Wolfgang5150
1st Apr 2018, 10:18
A friend of mine is thinking of applying for Cabin Crew with EA....is that a wise move, or is the whole thing going to go belly up in the near future?

canberra97
1st Apr 2018, 17:57
A friend of mine is thinking of applying for Cabin Crew with EA....is that a wise move, or is the whole thing going to go belly up in the near future?

Do we have 'Crystal Balls'!

Honestly how can anyone seriously answer that question!

Wolfgang5150
1st Apr 2018, 18:44
I just wanted to get a few opinions. Maybe I should have worded my post differently so as not to attract Mr Angry et al. Happy Easter x

canberra97
1st Apr 2018, 20:12
Yes perhaps you should have done, then perhaps ''Mr Angry'' wouldn't have replied in the way that he did!

Wolfgang5150
1st Apr 2018, 20:35
Point taken Mr A, now go have a creme egg and calm down.
Anyway, if there's anyone who'd like to give a civilized answer to my post regarding employment with EA I'd love to hear your views.

bycrewlgw
2nd Apr 2018, 03:42

Canberra does has a point though. Most on here wouldn’t know whether it will or not. Tell your friend to go for it. No point in worrying about something that doesn’t happen.

A lot of crew contracts are fixed term for the first season so same thing there really will I have a job won’t I?

BAladdy
5th Apr 2018, 17:47
T3 will will take over operating BE’s LCY service from 07MAY18. Flights will be operated by a 50 seat S2000 11 x weekly (2 flights on weekdays and 1 flight on Sunday).

Long term T3 plan to replace the S2000 with a E70 (S2000 showing as operating through until at least November)

BE7611 ABZ 07:15 LCY 09:05 S20 x67
BE7616 ABZ 17:10 LCY 19:00 S20 x6

BE7612 LCY 09:35 ABZ 11:10 S20 x67
BE7617 LCY 19:30 ABZ 21:05 S20 x6

Eastern Airways to take over LCY-Aberdeen route | Buying Business Travel (http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/0528637-eastern-airways-take-over-lcy-aberdeen-route)

Flights are currently operated by a 78 seat DH4 12 x weekly (2 x daily Mon-Fri & 1 x daily Sat/Sun)

TartinTon
5th Apr 2018, 22:02
T3 will will take over operating BE’s LCY service from 07MAY18

Assume this will allow BE to close their ABZ base (if it even is a base anymore!)

Fly757X
5th Apr 2018, 22:07
Assume this will allow BE to close their ABZ base (if it even is a base anymore!)

Not quite, still a few flights to be operated by based aircraft, LHR etc.

A320.b744
6th Apr 2018, 11:23
T3 will will take over operating BE’s LCY service from 07MAY18. Flights will be operated by a 50 seat S2000 11 x weekly (2 flights on weekdays and 1 flight on Sunday).

Long term T3 plan to replace the S2000 with a E70 (S2000 showing as operating through until at least November)

BE7611 ABZ 07:15 LCY 09:05 S20 x67
BE7616 ABZ 17:10 LCY 19:00 S20 x6

BE7612 LCY 09:35 ABZ 11:10 S20 x67
BE7617 LCY 19:30 ABZ 21:05 S20 x6

Eastern Airways to take over LCY-Aberdeen route | Buying Business Travel (http://buyingbusinesstravel.com/news/0528637-eastern-airways-take-over-lcy-aberdeen-route)

Flights are currently operated by a 78 seat DH4 12 x weekly (2 x daily Mon-Fri & 1 x daily Sat/Sun)

It looks like Flybe are using the Q400 currently used for ABZ-LCY to increase capacity on their BHD-LCY route, which is receiving x12 weekly additional flights (x2 daily Mon-Fri & x1 daily Sat/Sun) from 7th May.

BAladdy
20th Apr 2018, 07:52
S2000 G-CDEB was WFU on 1st April and flown to Berne on 9th April. Aircraft now registered to Skyworks as HB-IZT

BAladdy
2nd May 2018, 23:54
The following changes have been made to T3 operated BE Flights.

Aberdeen to Leeds Bradford - No longer available to book after 03JUN18
Aberdeen to Southampton via Leeds Bradford - No longer available to book after 03JUN18*
Belfast City to Isle of Man - No longer available to book after 11JUN18
Newcastle to Belfast City - No longer available to book after 11JUN18
Newcastle to Isle of Man - No longer available to book after 11JUN18

* BE flights from Leeds Bradford to Southampton - Are still available to book.

RAFAT
3rd May 2018, 02:14
That suggests to me that the Eastern/Flybe tie-up is slowly being dissolved.

HH6702
3rd May 2018, 08:55
Now what happens to T3

SealinkBF
3rd May 2018, 09:04

It was a five-year agreement though...

PDXCWL45
3rd May 2018, 09:19
Not dissolved but maybe the non profitable routes being trimmed away and Eastern shifting to a more of an ACMI airline maybe.

BAladdy
3rd May 2018, 09:25
The days also seem to be numbered when it comes to T3’s E70 ops at BHD. The aircraft is showing as operating a reduced number of flights from 8th May and is not showing as operating any flights from BHD after 31st May.

From 8th May to 31st May the E70 is showing as operating:

Mon-Fri - BHD-LBA-BHD-ABZ-BHD-LCY-BHD
Sat - BHD-LCY-BHD-ABZ-BHD
Sun - BHD-LCY-BHD

BAladdy
3rd May 2018, 12:13
Looks like the BHD based E70 is heading to LGW to operate for BA. Looks the aircraft is in addition to the T3 E70 currently Operating for BACF on the LCY-DUS service .

DC9_10
3rd May 2018, 12:44
So looks like the BE/T3 franchise agreement is dissolving. BE, thought they could come in to the Scottish islands and ride roughshot over loganair but failed. Went up against easyJet on Newcastle to Belfast and failed due to extensively high fares. IOM, from Belfast at £232 return. Jesus wept.

LBIA
3rd May 2018, 15:23
LBA-SOU route is reduced down 2x daily with an early morning and evening rotation from June onwards. In between duties it would seem the Saab 2000 aircraft sits on deck at LBA for most of day.

BAladdy
11th May 2018, 22:22
Two more ABZ routes appear to be going to have there frequency in June.

ABZ-SYY - Frequency reducing from 11 x weekly to 5 x weekly from 11JUN18
ABZ-WIC - Frequency reducing from 11 x weekly to 9 x weekly from 11JUN18

Skipness One Echo
11th May 2018, 23:52
The T3/BE tie up looked very odd. For a franchisee to have one single aircraft painted after all this time shows you how well behind it they are.

BAladdy
12th May 2018, 18:55
I don’t believe that T3 ever intended, nor were required to, paint there aircraft in full BE colours. The quote below is taken from this press release that was issued when BE & T3’s partnership was first announced.

EASTERN AIRWAYS AND FLYBE TO FORM AN ALLIANCE Eastern Airways (http://www.easternairways.com/news/43/eastern-airways-and-flybe-to-form-an-alliance)

As part of the franchise partnership, Eastern Airways routes will operate with Flybe’s BE flight codes. Eastern Airways livery will be retained on its aircraft for scheduled services and the carrier’s ad-hoc charter services and corporate shuttle operations.
I think the small Flybe stickers applied to some Eastern aircraft will be all the Flybe branding that the rest of the fleet are likely to receive.

ATIS31
12th May 2018, 22:54
Two more ABZ routes appear to be going to have there frequency in June.

ABZ-SYY - Frequency reducing from 11 x weekly to 5 x weekly from 11JUN18
ABZ-WIC - Frequency reducing from 11 x weekly to 9 x weekly from 11JUN18

That's a blow to Stornoway who have just got an increase up to 2 flights a day. And a blow to Wick with the loss of the early morning and late evening return flights and I assume the closure of Wick as a base

BAladdy
12th May 2018, 23:49
That's a blow to Stornoway who have just got an increase up to 2 flights a day. And a blow to Wick with the loss of the early morning and late evening return flights and I assume the closure of Wick as a base
Flights to Wick are going to be operated by a NCL based aircraft.

TartinTon
13th May 2018, 18:57
Are the WIC and SYY reductions due to school holidays or a permanent feature?

Richard Taylor
13th May 2018, 20:43
Permanent... or as permanent as you get in civil aviation!

El Bunto
14th May 2018, 07:27
What annoys me most is the complete lack of communication from the airline. Resulting in people poking around online timetables to try to determine what is happening to their routes.

why fly any other way? | Eastern Airways (http://www.easternairways.com/news)

Last update was "Aberdeen-London City route to be operated by Eastern Airways". Last update on Twitter was October 2017. Perhaps the Communications Manager is incommunicado?

SWBKCB
14th May 2018, 07:39
Perhaps because these are now "marketed" as BE flts?

Plane.Silly
14th May 2018, 13:37
If it were just 1 or 2 routes being reduced or dropped, i would let it slide, but i agree with you El Bunto, the scale of this reduction should provide more of an explanation.
Any of the fleet due for renewal or scrap? could be a reason?

Alteagod
14th May 2018, 16:24
More like a cull of routes

BAladdy
19th Jul 2018, 14:24
BA have been forced to cancel a number of flights from LGW in recent weeks that had been planned to be operated by a T3 E70. The flights should have been operated by G-CIXW. Over the last week or so this aircraft has instead been used to op ex LCY for BACF. Resulting in a few flight cancellations. Flights planned to be op by the E70 this weekend will now be operated by a PrivatAir 737. Does anyone know what is the reason for all the disruption??

Tonyq
19th Jul 2018, 17:45
Eastern have failed to operate their entire IOM-LCY-IOM schedule today, three rotations. Even by their dismal performance standards, this is unprecedented. One has to wonder how long BA, and to a degree, the IOM authorities will tolerate this fiasco.

jijpc
19th Jul 2018, 17:55
Eastern has had technical issues with both E170s. G-CIXV which was operating for BA CityFlyer from LCY went tech on 10/7 and positioned to Amsterdam, presumably for attention. It is now back at LCY having returned today.

G-CIXW which was at LGW positioned to London City on 11/7 to cover for G-CIXV, however it went tech the following day! According to FR24 it positioned to Lisbon, again presumably for attention.

For information Eastern also seem to have a lot of crew or technical issues with the Isle of Man based Saab 2000 G-CIEC which operates for BACF at present, with a number of cancelled flights.

BAladdy
19th Jul 2018, 19:28
BACF’s IOM services were until 9th June operated by G-CDKA which was painted in full BA colours... Has this aircraft been removed from service or is it undergoing maintainence?

BAladdy
8th Aug 2018, 16:45
I notice that a Privatair 737-700 is showing as operating a number of flights from LGW previously planned to be operated by the T3 using a E70. I have heard that BA cancelled the lease agreement the T3 On flights ex LGW due to reliability problems.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?.

canberra97
8th Aug 2018, 21:50
I notice that a Privatair 737-700 is showing as operating a number of flights from LGW previously planned to be operated by the T3 using a E70. I have heard that BA cancelled the lease agreement the T3 On flights ex LGW due to reliability problems.

Can anyone confirm if this is true?.

I can confirm that this is in fact true.

I think it was discussed on the Gatwick thread if not I've read it on airliners.net.

humbersidemotor
13th Aug 2018, 11:52
BACF’s IOM services were until 9th June operated by G-CDKA which was painted in full BA colours... Has this aircraft been removed from service or is it undergoing maintainence?
Aircraft in BA colours outside eastern hangar at HUY yesterday

BAladdy
13th Aug 2018, 17:38
Aircraft in BA colours outside eastern hangar at HUY yesterday
It has been at HUY for over 2 months. Guessing it is under a heavy maintainence check?

ATIS31
13th Aug 2018, 20:51
What's with all the Eastern Cancellations lately to and from Newcastle and also Stornoway among other places ?

ATIS31
13th Aug 2018, 20:52
What's with all the cancellations lately to and from Newcastle and Stornoway among other places cancelled ?

Atlantic Explorer
13th Aug 2018, 21:55
What's with all the cancellations lately to and from Newcastle and Stornoway among other places cancelled ?

I would put my money on ‘no crew’ judging by the amount that have left/leaving for better jobs.

No BACF IOM work after the end of this month, crews being TUPEd over to new operator and both E170s off to operate in Australia in the next couple of months or so.

Not great news for T3.

BAladdy
13th Aug 2018, 22:28
I would put my money on ‘no crew’ judging by the amount that have left/leaving for better jobs.

No BACF IOM work after the end of this month, crews being TUPEd over to new operator and both E170s off to operate in Australia in the next couple of months or so.

Not great news for T3.

Any idea who the new operator is going to be operating the IOM-LCY route for BACF as still showing as T3 on ba.com

shamrock7seal
14th Aug 2018, 04:33
What has happened to domestic UK aviation?

Flybe is continually loss making
Eastern is cost cutting so much it's now basically not working operationally anymore
Flybmi is limping along but doesn't seem to know what it wants to be or do and there is no expansion on the horizon
BA Cityflyer is London centric and seems to be struggling a little with its (temporary?) UK regional weekend expansion
BA domestic is static or declining
easyJet domestic is limited to big regional airports
Aurigny is loss making
Blue islands is basically Flybe now
Stobart Air is ... well

Loganair seems to be the only airline that believes it has a bright future with some growth potential

No other airlines?

134brat
14th Aug 2018, 08:10
The simple answer is that the low cost business model was never going to be workable in a short haul low volume environment, it has just taken a while for everything to fall apart under the pressure. It only works for Southwest, Ryanair, Easyjet and co because they are able to 'pile high and sell cheap' serve a huge market like the whole US or Europe. As we have seen recently it is not all good for Ryanair because they have pushed the principle too far in the endless and self defeating pursuit of ever increasing profit.

The travelling public have been fed the myth that a safe and reliable airline service can be provided at bargain bucket prices and what is happening to regional airlines is the inevitable failure of that idea. There are many contributing factors but I just wanted to make this one point.

V12
14th Aug 2018, 09:08
Shamrock, just stop and consider how many ASM (Available Seat Miles) a Ryanair crew fly in a shift; then compare that to an Eastern crew and you will probably find its a multiple of 50x. Then consider that Eastern might be only half full - so 100x. Now work through ALL the other line items on the operating budget, in unit cost terms, and you can see why Ryanair fares are comparatively so cheap and it makes money, but Eastern fares are so much higher and it doesn't. Simple economics. No amount of clever strategy can offset the vast imbalance. The travelling public just assumes that high fares translates to high profits for the airlines. Not so.

LesPretend
14th Aug 2018, 22:12
Will be an interesting few months.

Bristow seemed to be quite happy propping things up when things started going south.

Cant imagine they will continue to prop things up when they have their own issues but they will always need the ATRs. That’s the golden goose.

Word is that senior EA staff have started to infiltrate (if that’s the right word!) the top floor of Bristow HQ in Dyce.

Wolfgang5150
15th Aug 2018, 13:12
I hope its not Easterns commercial director doing the infiltration, someone should warn Mr Bristow!

Atlantic Explorer
15th Aug 2018, 13:25
I hope its not Easterns commercial director doing the infiltration, someone should warn Mr Bristow!

Dont worry, he’s long gone! And not before time.........took long enough mind!

Wolfgang5150
15th Aug 2018, 17:02
Thanks for the info Atlantic, it comes as no surprise really.

ptr120
26th Aug 2018, 08:48
I heard that the 2 x E170 aircraft are currently planned to leave the fleet next year. I wonder where they will end up?

Richard Taylor
26th Aug 2018, 09:24
I heard that the 2 x E170 aircraft are currently planned to leave the fleet next year. I wonder where they will end up?

Some might say as far away as possible! :}

RAFAT
26th Aug 2018, 17:33
I think that the deal has already been done and they will leave before the end of the year, not 100% sure on that though.

INKJET
26th Aug 2018, 22:50
What has happened to domestic UK aviation?

Flybe is continually loss making
Eastern is cost cutting so much it's now basically not working operationally anymore
Flybmi is limping along but doesn't seem to know what it wants to be or do and there is no expansion on the horizon
BA Cityflyer is London centric and seems to be struggling a little with its (temporary?) UK regional weekend expansion
BA domestic is static or declining
easyJet domestic is limited to big regional airports
Aurigny is loss making
Blue islands is basically Flybe now
Stobart Air is ... well

Loganair seems to be the only airline that believes it has a bright future with some growth potential

No other airlines?

The double whammy of APD doesn’t help either, with evermore sensors required on aircraft to meet RNP requirements flying elderly SAAB’s or Jetstream aircraft in the regional environment expensive to stay compliant, the market will continue to polarise between Loco to somewhere nearby or business aircraft/helicopters for point to point, but relying on a Loco to keep the link and short transfer times to your final destination is risky ask anyone who bought near Granada but now has travel via Malaga.

PSO contracts can help but these are politically sensitive when hospitals are being closed, but there is no doubt that some parts of the UK are becoming no go areas for certain types of businesses because of poor transport links, Cumbria, East Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and much of the South West, one only has to look at the train cancellation and strikes this past few months.

There is no easy answer, young pilots will be soaked up by the big Loco’s and are now paid more than Captains at many regional airlines, the equipment is better, the flying can be more interesting and most Loco airlines you’ll have a more respectful relationship with your employer.

N707ZS
27th Aug 2018, 09:58
Originally Posted by ptr120 https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/599820-eastern-airways-2-a-16.html#post10233462)I heard that the 2 x E170 aircraft are currently planned to leave the fleet next year. I wonder where they will end up?Some might say as far away as possible! https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

I know a man with a Stihl saw! Might be handy for most of the fleet.

BOHEuropean
28th Aug 2018, 08:03
Can anyone comment on if these three SAAB 2000s have left the Eastern fleet?

006 GCDKA at Örebro since 21 August 2018 (last commercial service 09 June 2018)
009 GCDEA at Örebro since 04 April 2018 (last commercial service 27 March 2018)
023 GCFLV at Örebro since 13 June 2018 (last commercial service 27 June 2017)

Avnu
5th Sep 2018, 18:10
I noticed HB-IZT, a former SkyWork Airlines Saab 2000, left Bern tonight and landed at Humberside. This used to be G-CDEB at Eastern and was only delivered to SkyWork in April of this year. I'm guessing they leased it from Eastern then and it got returned? Or how should I look at this?

Fly757X
5th Sep 2018, 18:20
I noticed HB-IZT, a former SkyWork Airlines Saab 2000, left Bern tonight and landed at Humberside. This used to be G-CDEB at Eastern and was only delivered to SkyWork in April of this year. I'm guessing they leased it from Eastern then and it got returned? Or how should I look at this?

Yes, I read somewhere too that it was only leased.

virginblue
6th Sep 2018, 07:26
People these days are generally lazy, its easier for most people to get to a train station, hop on a train, possibly change onto another one and go to their destination, rather than get to an airport, check in, wait for ages, then get on-board, fly, then deboard, leave the airport, and find a way from your arrival airport to your destination, where as most railway station go within 30 minutes walk of town centres.

Not sure if people are lazy. Maybe they are simply smart - based on your description of the differences between the two modes of transportation.

Wycombe
6th Sep 2018, 10:37
To come back on a few of your points airsouthwest:

- Yes the IET's are coming on the rails, but they will only improve journey times between Wales and the SW and London by a few minutes, compared to the 40 year-old HST's they are replacing. This is at least in part due to the infrastructure, especially in Devon and Cornwall, where the main lines are bendy and hilly (by railway standards, with some of the steepest "banks" in the UK) and the cost (and environmental impacts) of fixing that mean it's never going to happen.

- Crossrail will not speed up long-distance rail travel, but will be great if, for example, you live in Maidenhead and commute to Canary Wharf.

- which Flybe route were you talking about? If EXT-LCY, it takes around 50 mins on average, which is around 1.5 hours quicker than the fastest train to Paddington (as far as I know).

Bit off-topic I know, but interesting as debate about the future of domestic air travel.

ATIS31
10th Sep 2018, 18:32
Heard Eastern are looking at two more ATR 72s and some 42s any truth in this ?

scr1
9th Oct 2018, 16:34
Eastern are pulling their ABZ to SYY flights

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-45801943

Anyone know anything about the 2 aircraft damaged in ground accidents?

jensdad
10th Oct 2018, 13:57
What's up at Eastern Airways? There have been some allusions on the Aberdeen and Newcastle threads (questions about the future of the ABZ-LCY route, as it is operated by T3; cutbacks on NCL-ABZ and NCL-CWL due to a 'review of operations'), but no background on what the general situation is...

ivor toolbox
11th Oct 2018, 01:29
mentioned above.. basically not enough airframes at present

Ttfn

oapilot
11th Oct 2018, 08:10
Nor crews presumably...

Cazza_fly
11th Oct 2018, 12:16
Nor crews presumably...

Most probably the main reason unfortunately.

With a number of JS41's parked up at HUY as well as a returned Saab2000 from Skywork and the end of the BA contract on the Isle of Man, surely it can't be an aircraft shortage issue?

It's a shame as the Flybe franchise could really be offering Eastern perfect opportunities to open up and sell new routes and destinations with the assets they already have. Particularly with their JS41 fleet, they should be able to use these aircraft to their full potential on more niche UK domestic and shorter flights to/from the continent. On the flip-side i know they do well on the charter front, but not the best of utilisation.

Crewing issues aside, is there a possibility that those parked JS41's will return into regular service or have Eastern decided to use them as spares / standby aircraft?

jensdad
11th Oct 2018, 20:16
[Lack of crews...] Most probably the main reason unfortunately.

Yeah, I was thinking that. LCY-IOM and NCL-BHD-IOM dropped recently so presumably those aircraft at least are available . A shame - on the one occasion I flew with them I was impressed.
From reading this thread I'm not sure that all crews feel the same though...

Wolfgang5150
13th Nov 2018, 21:13
Just wondering what impact the possible sale of Flybe will have on EA....

Plane.Silly
14th Nov 2018, 06:48
Just wondering what impact the possible sale of Flybe will have on EA....

Just like the dreaded 'B word', no one will no for sure until the process is completed.
Best case scenario. Flybe go bust and others pick up just the valuable pieces, meaning very little impact on EA
Worst case scenario: Flybe is bought out and normal service resumes. Can't imagine much growth happening for a year or 2 if this happens so EA would possibly benefit from that

SWBKCB
14th Nov 2018, 06:54
They'll be around for as long as Bristow's have a use for them.

AirportPlanner1
14th Nov 2018, 08:26
Best case scenario. Flybe go bust and others pick up just the valuable pieces, meaning very little impact on EA

Is this really the best case scenario? Wouldn’t a sizeable chunk of Eastern’s revenue from ticket sales go down with it?

NorthEasterner
14th Nov 2018, 18:27
Is this really the best case scenario? Wouldn’t a sizeable chunk of Eastern’s revenue from ticket sales go down with it?

I doubt it, T3/EZE did fine on their own with ticketing before they franchised up with Flybe. The only thing is that they would have to go back to their own ticketing issuing system instead of using Flybe's.

NE

SWBKCB
14th Nov 2018, 19:58
The only thing is that they would have to go back to their own ticketing issuing system instead of using Flybe's.

Is there a system to go back to? Thought they sacked everybody?

AirportPlanner1
15th Nov 2018, 09:03
I doubt it, T3/EZE did fine on their own with ticketing before they franchised up with Flybe. The only thing is that they would have to go back to their own ticketing issuing system instead of using Flybe's.

NE

Well yes they can I’m sure pretty easily get another booking engine going but that wouldn’t change that income from previous sales, which could be quite significant, may have gone down with BE.

15th Nov 2018, 10:18
Were they really doing fine before? People who are doing fine don't tend to change things!

shamrock7seal
19th Nov 2018, 11:49
There is a YouTube clip showing over 8 Eastern Airways aircraft ‘STORED’ at Humberside. What is going on? Are they next to go under or something? This is for sure not a sensible use of aircraft.

PDXCWL45
19th Nov 2018, 12:04
There is a YouTube clip showing over 8 Eastern Airways aircraft ‘STORED’ at Humberside. What is going on? Are they next to go under or something? This is for sure not a sensible use of aircraft.
They've have been taken out of service due to age and not enough crew i believe. No doubt many of those aircraft will be used for spare parts.

SWBKCB
19th Nov 2018, 13:19
This is for sure not a sensible use of aircraft.

Don't forget they paid nowt for them!

Mike Flynn
19th Nov 2018, 14:21
As I understand it Eastern are little more than an O and G airline operated by Bristow to move offshore workers up and down the east coast.Most of their passengers will be paying marine fares and not the expensive tickets on sale to the public.

LesPretend
20th Nov 2018, 20:04
If they paid nothing for these aircraft why is the following such a troubling statement in the quarterly returns from the Bristow Group...

Loss on impairment of $117.2 million($101.1 million net of tax), or $2.83 per share, including:
$20.8 million impairment of Eastern Airways assets including $17.5 million for aircraft and equipment, $3.0 million for intangible assets and $0.3 millionfor inventory.

Im sure someone will be along who knows more but those figures don’t really add up.

Bristow did not buy Eastern as a feeder service, it couldn’t care less how we make our way to Aberdeen, it bought Eastern because at the time the Integrated services (ABZ to Scatsta and onward heli for IAC etc) were expanding and Bristow needed a way to ensure it had dedicated aircraft and a Flightline scenario would never be repeated. Now of course Babcock and CHC have a similar offering with Loganair, how Bristow now must look back and wish it did similar where the costs were fixed. I’m told Eastern lost nothing in the FlyBe price war but rising EU compensation, and falling passenger numbers on the East Coast routes must not be helping.

Thing is Bristow will continue to take a hit on it because it needs the aircraft

Albert Hall
20th Nov 2018, 20:13
As it's an asset impairment rather than an onerous contract provision, it looks to be relating to the J41s which are owned. I guess that's any residual value in the J41s written off in the books.

Just because they paid nothing for them doesn't mean that they were held on the books at zero, if they had managed to convince the auditors way back in the past that they had value.

Facts R Us
20th Nov 2018, 22:01
One of the 145’s ferried to LIS yesterday. I was told this was an end of lease return, or was it actually off into C-check at ALV? Anyone confirm?

BAladdy
21st Nov 2018, 02:04
G-CDKB was flown from ABZ to ORB a couple of days ago. Does anyone know if this is for scheduled maintainence?. Or is the aircraft the latest S2000 to be returned to lessor?

T3 have so far this year returned 3 S2000’s to lessor. These aircraft were:

G-CDEA - Was WFU and flown from ABZ to ORB back in early April.
G-CDKA - Was WFU and flown from HUY to ORB back in late August
G-CFLV - Was flown from HUY to ORB back in mid July

horsebox
23rd Nov 2018, 19:26
I believe BAE are winding down support for the 41. As major checks come round the aircraft are being slowly withdrawn. There maybe some use for them elsewhere in the world.... I heard there was a similar situation brewing with the SAAB , but possibly a rethink by them.
General crew shortages probably don't help either. It is certainly a Pilots market for jobs..

rhutch28
23rd Nov 2018, 22:48
Have both the ERJ 170 left the fleet now as well?

yeo valley
24th Nov 2018, 04:55
The ERJ 170 last I heard were going to AUSTRALIA on lease. Don't know if that came off.

SWBKCB
24th Nov 2018, 05:46
The ERJ 170 last I heard were going to AUSTRALIA on lease. Don't know if that came off.

According to FR24, both have positioned to Naples - G-CIXV in early October and G-CIXW in early November

mullac30
24th Nov 2018, 12:24
If BE do end up merging with VS, will T3 end up a VS franchise?

LesPretend
25th Nov 2018, 08:12

That would be good, it might give BRS shares a wee boost as well.

Down 30% on Friday.

Ouch

Jerbourg
25th Nov 2018, 08:34

I would imagine that if/when a takeover happens the franchising will go out of the window.

rob39
27th Nov 2018, 18:41
Eastern E170 increasing rotations NCL - LCY for Flybe
Newcastle Gains New Double-daily Direct Air Service to London City Airport (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/newcastle-gains-new-double-daily-direct-air-service-to-london-city-airport/)

Severn
27th Nov 2018, 19:00
Eastern E170 increasing rotations NCL - LCY for Flybe
Newcastle Gains New Double-daily Direct Air Service to London City Airport (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/newcastle-gains-new-double-daily-direct-air-service-to-london-city-airport/)
Eastern no longer have any E170s, they have been removed from the fleet.
The article by the Aviation Tribune doesn't mention it will operate on the E170s but is misleading as it does have a large picture of an E170 at the top of the article.

The flights will be operated by S2000s which will operate ABZ-NCL-LCY-NCL-ABZ twice a day.

Atlantic Explorer
12th Dec 2018, 12:30
Reliably informed that Eastern have lost the Airbus contract from CEG-BRS-TLS.

What now for the ERJ and crews?

PDXCWL45
12th Dec 2018, 12:51
Reliably informed that Eastern have lost the Airbus contract from CEG-BRS-TLS.

What now for the ERJ and crews?
Ouch! Who too?

harriewillem
12th Dec 2018, 12:54
Ouch! Who too?

Back to BMI, so they will shut down few routes to facilitate this contract..

FFHKG
12th Dec 2018, 14:02
CEG - BRS - TLS shown as operated by Germania (not Eastern) with an ST flight number on FR24 and has done for some time now

andrew1968
12th Dec 2018, 17:37
CEG - BRS - TLS shown as operated by Germania (not Eastern) with an ST flight number on FR24 and has done for some time now

FR24 has been wrong ever since eastern took it on. It’s always been eastern operating the route

LesPretend
17th Dec 2018, 19:40
Are BMI interested in Eastern? Im hearing a few Bristow management have been spotted at BMI of late. Could of course be job interviews!!!

PDXCWL45
17th Dec 2018, 19:54
Are BMI interested in Eastern? Im hearing a few Bristow management have been spotted at BMI of late. Could of course be job interviews!!!

Eastern have lost the Airbus shuttle so they may use the opportunity to sell the E145s to flyBMI or at least lease them out.

RAFAT
18th Dec 2018, 10:02

Could be that Eastern are interested in bmi's Embraers as the Saabs are likely to be gone soon and will need replacing, this will give Eastern the option of more charters. bmi will surely want to replace their 135/145s soon using their tie-up with Lufthansa to gain larger 170/190s.

PDXCWL45 - I think they'd like more Embraers, not less.

humbersidemotor
7th Jan 2019, 08:48
G-CDKA back at HUY arrived 3rd january

Gunfighter52
7th Jan 2019, 12:15
G-CDKA back at HUY arrived 3rd january
Swapped with G-CFLU at Orebro.

fjencl
10th Jan 2019, 21:49
https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/virgin-and-stobart-group-near-takeover-of-flybe-airline-1.3754170

Wolfgang5150
10th Jan 2019, 22:47
Will this have any effect on Eastern?

Cazza_fly
10th Jan 2019, 23:22
Will this have any effect on Eastern?

I'd imagine so yes. It will be a case of waiting to see how it pans out, what they plan with the operation and what brand they decide to take on. The best take-over deal for all concerned would be one where Flybe continues to operate "separately" as its own airline, just instead with a clearer direction and better financial backing. This would better protect the current Flybe franchising agreements such as Eastern and Blue Islands and make the whole transaction much smoother.

fjencl
11th Jan 2019, 15:15
https://www.energyvoice.com/other-news/190410/oil-downturn-widens-losses-for-eastern-airways/

Cabby
7th Mar 2019, 22:08
Just found the Eastern thread. I posted a question on the Rumours and news thread after seeing a comment on Rotorheads about BRS stock crashing and a post about a possible sale of Eastern Airways?

Anyone know if its true?

https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/615704-brs-stock-crashing-10.html

Atlantic Explorer
8th Mar 2019, 07:30
Don’t think there’s much left in the wreckage of EA for RL to do anything with now unfortunately. The business model is all but a dead animal with the company reported to be making huge losses daily.

Wolfgang5150
16th Mar 2019, 07:55
Is there ever any good news to come out of EA, makes me wonder how they've kept going for so long....

humbersidemotor
21st Mar 2019, 10:34
'Is there ever any good news to come out of EA, makes me wonder how they've kept going for so long........'

Perhaps people should be careful what they wish for. At least under the previous shareholders, whatever people may think, Eastern where never in the situation they appear to be in today

RAFAT
22nd Mar 2019, 05:31
Virtually impossible to make sense of any of that EGPO, therefore impossible to give a reply or opinion.

humbersidemotor
22nd Mar 2019, 08:28
Can anyway please explain why Eastern with its base at HUY , which itself is a good hour from DSA , similar to DSA-EMA, SO it has a reasonable catchment area that slice up the east coast of Yorkshire, but probably overlapping DSA. still all the same, Hull , much of the nirth and northeast lincs , areas either side of the Humber and perhaps down as far as Skegness . So a scattered but still enough potential customers.

Good road links , if not mistaken there is a railway line like at Doncaster close to the runway ( so I'm told) - not seem personally.
But if so , potential airport station.

So why no new Routes and that Terminal has not seen any changes in interior offerings , facilities b, for years .

I understand it's big customer is and are the oil flights (!side question , do they run thevATR direct from Huy to Scatsa? Or Norwich - Scatsa? .

I recall when I first lived in North lincs , they had Ryanair I could swear it was a base if memory serves, I think they served Dublin and Alicante?.

But why no growth to bring in revenue to please the shareholders .
And why no pressure from Northlincs council who I thought did at one point have a stake in HUY.

I ask as Eastern too had their stake innit too so again why no extra services.
Eg Dublin , Brussels , ( unserved all over Yorkshire) Copenhagen, but ideally with better timed flights , more frequently .
And cheaper! . Imho they should be doing something to bring in the cash and stop the Rot. I feel for the staff , the aircrews . Can't be a nice place to work.

Eastern's Owners, Bristows, if you read financials, are not in a good place, share value down to just over $1.00 the other day

BAladdy
26th Mar 2019, 16:21
ch-aviation.com have the article stating that Eastern is adding wet leased E145 capacity. Unfortunately not a full member so can’t read the full article. Does anyone have any further details on the wet lease agreement?

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/76649-uks-eastern-airways-adds-wet-leased-e145-capacity

LBIA
26th Mar 2019, 17:06
The Aberdeen - Newcastle - London City service axed now confirmed by Eastern Airways
Eastern Airways scraps Aberdeen-Newcastle-London City (https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/03/26/is-eastern-about-to-scrap-aberdeen-newcastle-london-city/)

Facts R Us
26th Mar 2019, 20:24
ch-aviation.com have the article stating that Eastern is adding wet leased E145 capacity. Unfortunately not a full member so can’t read the full article. Does anyone have any further details on the wet lease agreement?

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/76649-uks-eastern-airways-adds-wet-leased-e145-capacity

its a ‘nothing’ story, it’s just CH taking 4 weeks to realise that the BM lease on ABZ-NWI has been transferred over to LM.

rhutch28
26th Mar 2019, 22:56
The Aberdeen - Newcastle - London City service axed now confirmed by Eastern Airways
Eastern Airways scraps Aberdeen-Newcastle-London City (https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2019/03/26/is-eastern-about-to-scrap-aberdeen-newcastle-london-city/)

Not many routes left now is there, Belive that will just leave the following public flights

ABZ - MME
ABZ - HUY
ABZ- NCL
ABZ - WIC
ABZ - NWI (operared by loganair)
CWL - VLY
CWL - NCL
SOU - LBA
ORY - RDZ

fjencl
28th Mar 2019, 17:04
Not many routes left now is there, Belive that will just leave the following public flights

ABZ - MME
ABZ - HUY
ABZ- NCL
ABZ - WIC
ABZ - NWI (operared by loganair)
CWL - VLY
CWL - NCL
SOU - LBA
ORY - RDZ

Never realized they operated such a small flying program.

Cazza_fly
28th Mar 2019, 19:18
Never realized they operated such a small flying program.

Indeed. They're all the routes operating under the Flybe franchise and bookable on Flybe.com

There is of course the Aberdeen to Scatsta route and a number of regular charter flights they operate for the likes of BAE, Airbus, MOD etc.

It's a shame more couldn't have been done to make better use of the Flybe franchise and brand in launching more niche routes.

rhutch28
28th Mar 2019, 19:41
Indeed. They're all the routes operating under the Flybe franchise and bookable on Flybe.com

There is of course the Aberdeen to Scatsta route and a number of regular charter flights they operate for the likes of BAE, Airbus, MOD etc.

It's a shame more couldn't have been done to make better use of the Flybe franchise and brand in launching more niche routes.

They lost the Airbus contract to Flybmi, now Loganair do the Airbus contract
Think they still do the MOD one, not sure about the BAE one

humbersidemotor
29th Mar 2019, 08:37

I think you will find that although booked through Flybe.com these are all original Eastern Airways routes

SWBKCB
29th Mar 2019, 09:43
The article at #367 refers to ABZ-NCL continuing, but its Eastern...

LBIA
3rd Apr 2019, 12:23
Leeds/Bradford - Southampton route will be operated by the Embraer jet fleet for next few months whilst the Saab 2000s are deployed on new charter work for BP

humbersidemotor
3rd Apr 2019, 13:04
Leeds/Bradford - Southampton route will be operated by the Embraer jet fleet for next few months whilst the Saab 2000s are deployed on new charter work for BP
Why don't they use their own stuff on NWI-ABZ instead of using Loganair??

sparkie320
3rd Apr 2019, 13:25
afraid the NWI base was closed and hence the BMI operation came into affect
now being operated by former BM 145 by Loganair very confussing

rhutch28
12th Apr 2019, 12:10
Looks like Eastern has sold one of there ERJ 145 GCIYX, but how many of the fleet now are in a serviceable state?

Fly757X
12th Apr 2019, 13:17
Looks like Eastern has sold one of there ERJ 145 GCIYX, but how many of the fleet now are in a serviceable state?

It might be returning to Bristol Nigeria, I read somewhere that it is going back on the Nigerian Register.

SWBKCB
12th Apr 2019, 14:55

G-CHMR and G-CISK - both flying today

Jerbourg
16th Apr 2019, 17:56
Eastern parent the Bristow group warns of insolvency unless the company can be 'turned around'.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/debt-ridden-helicopter-operator-bristow-warns-on-fut-457523/

fjencl
21st Apr 2019, 19:53
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/77415-bristow-group-warns-it-might-have-to-file-for-chapter-11

El Bunto
22nd Apr 2019, 04:07
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/77415-bristow-group-warns-it-might-have-to-file-for-chapter-11

Frankly they'd be daft not to, as noted PHI has already filed so there's no point slogging through with paying old debts when a mechanism is there to streamline and reorganise. If your competitor is taking advantage of it then it's only logical to do so yourself.

Nomad2
22nd Apr 2019, 07:14
Glad I passed on their offer to fly their 170s.....

plane-driver
22nd Apr 2019, 11:40
Emailed me last week inviting for recruitment

LesPretend
22nd Apr 2019, 18:08
I could be wrong but I suspect that much has been going on behind the scenes to separate Eastern away from Bristow. I heard a few months back that the ownership structure has changed and I’ve not heard anything since to contradict that.

I don’t share the doom, I’m pretty convinced that if everything bar the east coast routes are binned a lean EA focused on its lucrative oil support work, sports charters and other long term charter and lease work could turn a profit if they get the aircraft mix right, hard decisions I suppose to get to that point.

My only worry is that BRS seemed incapable of making those reasonably obvious decisions so what chance anyone else?

Buster the Bear
22nd Apr 2019, 19:24
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2019-04-22/shareholder-blasts-bristows-board-leaders?utm_campaign=AIN%20Alerts&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=71960090&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-91cppuarAYmXQwQhO-iVDBFTxpTBly5ZDUZ5JOdT5J8-hswmho02c39CB92vC6X7ReCrRNwBMuBmUkHdzUFC4DbuC3MQ&_hsmi=71960090

5711N0205W
23rd Apr 2019, 10:17
GVIC recommended that Bristow take immediate steps to improve its performance, including the sale of underperforming assets. While GVIC did not name those assets specifically, they are believed to include Bristow’s perennial money-losing fixed-wing operations Eastern Airways and Airnorth. GVIC also recommended replacing Bristow’s senior executives. “GVIC believes that others familiar with Bristow’s operations are prepared and waiting to assume key management positions immediately.”

That's a pretty damning article on Bristow, in this context the paragraph above is pertinent.

RAFAT
24th Apr 2019, 02:52
When Bristows bought into Eastern a few years ago they were not a loss-making airline; mismanagement (which also includes a complete lack of oversight) by Bristows and a completely daft tie-up to Flybe are what's caused recent losses.

I'm with LesPretend and think that if Eastern breakaway from Bristows, they'll be fine.

shamrock7seal
24th Apr 2019, 08:01
Does Eastern still own and manage Humberside Airport too?

SWBKCB
24th Apr 2019, 08:20
a lean EA focused on its lucrative oil support work,

Isn't the lucrative oil support work via Bristow's - isn't that why Bristows bought them in the first place?

LesPretend
24th Apr 2019, 10:20
Isn't the lucrative oil support work via Bristow's - isn't that why Bristows bought them in the first place?

Well sort of.

Bristow thought at the time that the route into contracts for the expanding northern sector was to offer an integrated service for their clients (this had worked very well for the IAC) and buying EA was a protection (ironically) against fixed wing operators going bust such as Flightline. I’ve no evidence for this statement but I’ve heard many times that the parent company drove the acquisition.

What I suppose wasn’t for-seen at the time was the perfect storm around the corner of these type of contracts disappearing, the downturn in the oil industry and years of pain for many regional airlines particularly with an ageing fleet. Anyone who has observed the recent Columbia Helicopters debacle will question the parent companies ability to perform due diligence!!

My personal view like others is that BRS should have taken control right from the start with their own people to get it to what they wanted it to be. Instead it was allowed to meander down various different roads never seeming to be that joined up. Not an issue when the money taps are on tho.

There is a lot of negativity over in Rotorheads about BRS but that mainly stems from the recent horrendous track record of the Houston parent company. I can only say it as I see it on a daily basis but BRS in the north sea have a decent rep for service delivery. I’m not sure there is a consensus that has been improved by the acquisition of EA. In fact quite the opposite.

Yes, BRS contract EA to Scatsta work, but at the moment BP have a stand alone agreement on Sumburgh as it feeds Babcock flights (I assume that’s changing) and I can’t imagine for one moment BRS looking elsewhere if it needed fixed wing support so several years of guaranteed revenue there.

BRS are under immense pressure to get rid of anything not making money and the money taps have been well and truly switched off. A stand alone EA with no ties to BRS would also be free (it may always have been) to pick up other work with the other operators.

Of course it’s all just hypothetical speculation and I await being shot down in flames but I am convinced a stand alone EA would do better on its own if it sticks to what’s it’s good at with people who (despite what anyone thinks of them) managed to run a profitable airline through some pretty hard times.

SWBKCB
2nd May 2019, 06:52
Flight - Airnorth and Eastern could be sold under Bristow rescue plan (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/airnorth-and-eastern-could-be-sold-under-bristow-res-457851/)

Key assets for disposal include Airnorth and Eastern Airways, based in Australia and the UK respectively, which are both forecast to be negative on an earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation (EBITDA) basis this year. Bristow acquired both carriers to feed its helicopter operations, with limited success. GVIC believes it can attract buyers for the pair, to transform them into "regular scheduled airlines rather than running them on an industrial helicopter aviation model", says J P Geygan, GVIC vice-president. "We have had conversations with a fixed-wing operator that was bewildered how inefficiently these airlines have been operated,” says Jeff Geygan, president and chief executive of GVIC.

Where do you join the queue?

Atlantic Explorer
2nd May 2019, 07:18
To be fair, Eastern was a shambles before Bristow took over, it’s just that the expected improvement with a “mature” company taking over never happened.

I cant see any place for an independent Eastern in today’s world sufficient to make a credible business and make money. Loganair have stepped up to meet most of the sub 50 seat UK regional flying.

With a dying/old fleet, there needs to be huge capital investment to move forward which I just can’t see happening.

LesPretend
2nd May 2019, 10:11
To be fair, Eastern was a shambles before Bristow took over, it’s just that the expected improvement with a “mature” company taking over never happened.

I cant see any place for an independent Eastern in today’s world sufficient to make a credible business and make money. Loganair have stepped up to meet most of the sub 50 seat UK regional flying.

With a dying/old fleet, there needs to be huge capital investment to move forward which I just can’t see happening.

Aren’t most smaller regional airlines fairly shambolic?

If what I read on here is correct most appear to be. I’m never sure if that’s because they are a shambles or if it’s because most are run on a shoestring to return a profit to their owners at the detriment to the welfare of their staff. There isn’t much dispute that EA made money pre Bristow tho.

5th May 2019, 18:41
Up to a point I do feel sorry for Eastern (and all the other airlines, or in this case mainly former airlines) that try / tried to operate planes that size. They've all tried hard, but the economic environment means it's increasingly pretty impossible.

My sympathy in this case is of course lessened by their attitudes towards staff. The planes don't seem to be flying themselves yet, do they? Maybe they needed to keep hold of pilots a bit longer...

Cambridge172
13th May 2019, 13:59
Bristows have filed for Chapter 11

STN Ramp Rat
13th May 2019, 14:06
the flight global article reporting the Chapter 11 filing of some of the Bristows businesses in the US on the 11th May has the following statement at the bottom

Eastern Airways has since been sold, in a deal completed on 10 May, Bristow confirms

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/bristow-bows-to-inevitable-and-enters-chapter-11-458120/

SWBKCB
13th May 2019, 14:41
And on a lighter note...

Following on from recent announcements by Loganair on their new route launches and in this day and age of high stress and concern about everything from Brexit to the environment, it was good to see some comedy introduced by our friends at Loganair which lightened the mood somewhat.

Statement from Eastern Airways (https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/statement-from-eastern-airways)

SWBKCB
13th May 2019, 15:30
From a post on Rotorheads:

BHL completed the sale of all of the shares of Eastern Airways International Limited (“EAIL”) to Orient Industrial Holdings Limited (“OIHL”), an entity affiliated with Mr. Richard Lake,

Bristows retain ownership of Humberside airport

davidjohnson6
13th May 2019, 15:41
Given the current demand for oil/gas related flying at Aberdeen how much is Eastern really worth without the asset that is HUY ? I imagine that Richard Lake would have had to put in a sizeable chunk of equity if he borrowed any money from a bank to finance this acquisition. I am wondering if buying Eastern back from Bristow was driven more by emotion than anything else

virginblue
13th May 2019, 15:47
And on a lighter note...

Statement from Eastern Airways (https://www.traveldailynews.com/post/statement-from-eastern-airways)

But no prisoners taken as well:

It’s good to see ‘Scotland’s favourite airline’ with the English owners and senior management team, putting to good use its manipulated position on being unencumbered with the debt of its sister company following the planned merger with flybmi by recreating the same operating environment again, curious planning for sure but cause for a celebratory chuckle all the same.

goldeneye
13th May 2019, 15:55
But no prisoners taken as well:

Odd statement to release, not on their own website and currently only picked up on the link posted above.

fjencl
13th May 2019, 17:37
So has Eastern Airways kept the 2 ATR aircraft that were operating for Bristows, now that Eastern has been sold.......

SWBKCB
13th May 2019, 19:45
Bankruptcy protection filed. https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/general-aviation/2019-05-11/nearly-2-billion-debt-bristow-files-bankruptcy?utm_campaign=AIN%20Alerts&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=72619146&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9XE_27nlW0mmVr-q_buJPehIf1rQBVRKdqs4nXBZLRFTAlkSR05pTz-MUN2jvPIDKfuudKxITrWi2hjX_JJHdxmjXn_Q&_hsmi=72619146

That's the American parent company, of which Eastern are no longer a part.

dboy
14th May 2019, 07:46
But who is now the new owner of EA???

SWBKCB
14th May 2019, 10:13
But who is now the new owner of EA???

See post #400 - Orient Industrial Holdings Limited, formed in early May and 100% owned by Richard Lake.

RAFAT
14th May 2019, 15:28
I have no doubt that this deal will be a win-win for Richard Lake; if he's paid out anything at all it is likely to be a fraction of what he originally sold it to Bristows for. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if Bristows are actually subsidising the deal in order to offload Eastern quickly.

Atlantic Explorer - I disagree that Eastern were a "shambles" before Bristows took over, just my opinion.

Atlantic Explorer
14th May 2019, 18:45
Atlantic Explorer - I disagree that Eastern were a "shambles" before Bristows took over, just my opinion.

You obviously weren’t on the same Fleet as I was then!

Was as a great place for many years, but started going downhill about 2009, beyond recognition now I’m told.

SealinkBF
14th May 2019, 20:10
https://www.energyvoice.com/other-news/199261/troubled-bristow-sells-eastern-airways/

oapilot
14th May 2019, 20:41
RAFAT You’re probably right, organised chaos is probably a better definition.

RAFAT
15th May 2019, 03:01
That's a better description oapilot.

There is no doubt that crews were increasingly shafted as time went on, they weren't a cohesive workforce and nobody fought back so their treatment got worse. Eventually, due to sustained recruitment around the World, many just voted with their feet and left. For whatever reason the HUY management chose to try and tough it out, but with their heads in the sand their ass was truly bitten and crew shortages began to affect the operation, only then did it start to get a little shambolic.

SWBKCB
16th May 2019, 20:49
Financial terms of the deal were undisclosed, although Mr Lake is believed to have paid substantially less than the £27 million he received for the business in 2017.

P&J - Business as usual for Eastern Airways after sale (https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/business/uk-and-abroad/1748902/business-as-usual-after-carrier-sale/)

Skipness One Foxtrot
17th May 2019, 11:36
And flybe? Are they are franchisee or not?
It's not even mentioned!

RAFAT
17th May 2019, 12:50
And flybe? Are they are franchisee or not? It's not even mentioned!

From the article in SWBKCB's link: "Its business employs 350 people and spans scheduled flights as a franchise partner of Flybe, specialist oil and gas contracts, corporate shuttles for blue-chip companies and ad hoc private charter services."

NorthEasterner
11th Jun 2019, 19:33
Just had a quick look (apologies for any errors) but out of 29 total aircraft only 15 are operating.

J41 (non-op)
G-MAJC (last flew Apr assumed non-Op)
MAJB
G-MAJE through to MAJK
MAJM

S20 (non-op)
G-CDEB (in ORB)
G-CERY (in ORB)
G-CFLU (in BZG) (27may)
G-CIEC (in ORB) (27may)

Might have been discussed before but what are the S20s doing in ORB/BZG, awaiting to be scrapped?

I can only assume the Jetstreams are at end of life/beyond repair and used as spare parts etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NE

Aberdeen1234
13th Jun 2019, 13:38
Just had a quick look (apologies for any errors) but out of 29 total aircraft only 15 are operating.

J41 (non-op)
G-MAJC (last flew Apr assumed non-Op)
MAJB
G-MAJE through to MAJK
MAJM

S20 (non-op)
G-CDEB (in ORB)
G-CERY (in ORB)
G-CFLU (in BZG) (27may)
G-CIEC (in ORB) (27may)

Might have been discussed before but what are the S20s doing in ORB/BZG, awaiting to be scrapped?

I can only assume the Jetstreams are at end of life/beyond repair and used as spare parts etc. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

NE

I believe the S20s were over for heavy maintenance. Not sure about the J41's

PintofDoom
25th Jun 2019, 16:32
The Saabs are currently being returned to their lessor. Only KA/KB/RZ remain in service. These will be gone by November.

The jetstreams are undergoing C checks which is taking longer than expected .

Currently back to two 145s CISK/CHMR one in Rodez other is used around the network if its not in the hanger.

And the two ATRs IACY/Z just fly to shetland with occasional visits to WIC/NWI.

Current plan is get back to profitability, awaiting information from Connect Airways and thank you Bristows but goodbye lol

fjencl
25th Jun 2019, 17:30
Is there something going to be happening with Connect Airways and Eastern Airways ???????

PintofDoom
25th Jun 2019, 18:26
It's more to do whether Eastern remain a franchise partner and everything else that is included from sales, advertising ect

Wolfgang5150
15th Jul 2019, 04:51
Well at least Eastern have got into the top 10.....of least punctual airlines flying in the UK

Atlantic Explorer
15th Jul 2019, 11:06
Well at least Eastern have got into the top 10.....of least punctual airlines flying in the UK

A sad reflection on what used to be a great Airline where greed and lack of investment are prevalent.

humbersidemotor
22nd Jul 2019, 13:18
A sad reflection on what used to be a great Airline where greed and lack of investment are prevalent.
surely that is based on previous owners? Need to give current team a chance to sort? See Leeds Southampton going back to 3 times a day Mon-Thurs

SWBKCB
22nd Jul 2019, 13:20
Isn't the current team the previous owners? :confused:

Atlantic Explorer
22nd Jul 2019, 14:31
Isn't the current team the previous owners? :confused:

Yes, RL is back in charge now. My comment above was directed at his previous tenure and also Bristow.

fjencl
4th Sep 2019, 13:24
Any news of any new routes planned for this airline.
Or any ACMI work for them.

PintofDoom
4th Sep 2019, 13:49
Currently the airline is full of rumours, but no solid plans.

Talks of MME-BHD
​​​​​​More ATR 72s
More 145s

But its anybody guess as to what will happen.

LBIA
4th Sep 2019, 16:53
Aircraft still in service.
7+ Jetstream 41's = G-MAJB/D/L/T/U/Y/Z
2+ Saab 2000's = G-CDKB & G-CERZ
2+ Embraer 145's = G-CHMR, G-CISK
2+ ATR72-600 = G-IACY & G-IACZ

Also lease Embrear 145 from Loganair to operate Norwich-Aberdeen

Scheduled Flybe Franchise Routes
Aberdeen - Humberside
Aberdeen - Newcastle
Aberdeen - Norwich
Aberdeen - Teeside
Aberdeen - Wick
Newcastle - Cardiff
Cardiff - Anglesey
Leeds/Bradford - Southampton
Rodez - Paris Orly
Oil/Gas industry charters
Aberdeen - Scatsta
Aberdeen - Sumburgh
British Aerospace charters
RAF Coningsby - RAF Marham - BAe Warton

BAladdy
4th Sep 2019, 18:02
T3 today combined there late afternoon ABZ-HUY-ABZ and ABZ-NCL-ABZ with a ABZ-NCL-HUY-ABZ flight operated by a ER4. I am guessing this is due to a lack of serviceable J41 aircraft. I am sure passengers the NCL-ABZ passengers will be less than happy with the stop over in HUY especially as it will add nearly 90 mins to there flights time.

Rottweiler22
4th Sep 2019, 18:15
T3 today combined there late afternoon ABZ-HUY-ABZ and ABZ-NCL-ABZ with a ABZ-NCL-HUY-ABZ flight operated by a ER4. I am guessing this is due to a lack of serviceable J41 aircraft. I am sure passengers the NCL-ABZ passengers will be less than happy with the stop over in HUY especially as it will add nearly 90 mins to there flights time.

I saw the early J41 from ABZ-NCL had a technical issue in ABZ and departed an hour late, which allowed the Loganair jet to get the jump. I’m guessing the plane in question (MAJZ) limped back to NCL and was grounded, thus causing the fiasco. A bit of a difficult day for Eastern where ABZ and NCL are concerned.

PintofDoom
4th Sep 2019, 18:47
Just want to add there is 3 Saab 2000s, G-CDKA also in the fleet this ac was IOM based for BA cityflyer.

When combining flights the aircraft flies into first affected airport so would route ABZ-NCL-HUY. The exception to this would be when the aircraft needs to end in a specific airport.

Previously operated combined flights were ABZ-MME-NCL to ensure the aircraft was at NCL for the early morning rotation.

fjencl
4th Sep 2019, 19:01
I wonder if Eastern put in a bid for the PSO at Dundee airport
Time will tell I guess

AirLCY
4th Sep 2019, 23:10
[QUOTE=PintofDoom;10561882]Just want to add there is 3 Saab 2000s, G-CDKA also in the fleet this ac was IOM based for BA cityflyer.

This contract ended over a year ago, did they find a new home for the aircraft ?

Fly757X
4th Sep 2019, 23:12
[QUOTE=PintofDoom;10561882]Just want to add there is 3 Saab 2000s, G-CDKA also in the fleet this ac was IOM based for BA cityflyer.

This contract ended over a year ago, did they find a new home for the aircraft ?

Its flew a bit more for Eastern in the following months but hasn’t flown since 23/08/19.

PintofDoom
5th Sep 2019, 10:50
Currently in sweden for maintenance checks not sure when it's due back.

fjencl
23rd Sep 2019, 19:47
Any new future UK routes in the pipeline..............

NickBarnes
17th Oct 2019, 13:17
Eastern service between ABZ - NWI ends next week on the 25th October, as per flybe website and when I contacted Eastern today to ask about the service. Loganair shall be the Sole operator on the route from now on.

FlyingFrl
17th Oct 2019, 14:30
Anybody knows what multiple 41 aircraft are doing at Cranfield?

rhutch28
17th Oct 2019, 23:10
How many of Eastern's Jetstream are in an airworthy condition, can only be about 5 of them

FlyingFrl
18th Oct 2019, 08:08
Are they being phased out or just undergoing maintenance?

PintofDoom
18th Oct 2019, 13:59
Currently just JB, JD, JL, JY operational. Plan is to get back to 10 operational but most need C checks and other repairs. Plus they need the new ADS-B equipment fitting.

41s are past it and hated by passengers and some crews alike.

virginblue
18th Oct 2019, 16:48
How many active Saabs and Embraers do they have? If I am not mistaken, they will be down soon to eight scheduled routes that require six aircraft:

#1 @ CWL
#2 @ LBA
#3 @ HUY
#4 @ MME
#5 @ NCL
#6 @ RDZ

#1-#5 are scheduled with J41s, #6 with an ER4. None with a Saab.

Not sure what 10 Jetstreams would be used for? After the tie-up of FlyBE and Loganair, some ABZ-routes offered also by Loganair could be the next to go.

PintofDoom
18th Oct 2019, 17:37
3 saabs, G-CDKA/KB G-CERZ
2 Embraers G-CISK G-CHMR 1 more to join the fleet waiting on more information.
2 ATRs G-IACY/Z

Saabs used on flights to LSI, ATRs used to SCS and to rescue schedule. 145s used for schedule and charters. 41s used on schedule out of NCL/MME/CWL/LBA. HUY changes between 41 and 145. 41 also used out of Warton.

N707ZS
18th Oct 2019, 18:41
MME gets a mix of all three aircraft variants with the Humberside flight stopping off on route at the moment. The based J41 doesn't do all of the flights.

PintofDoom
18th Oct 2019, 18:48
Usually does the drop ins when a 41 has gone tech. The CWL-vly route needs to be rescued quite regularly due to the large fines that get issued for none operation.

SWBKCB
19th Oct 2019, 05:42
Flybe and Loganair are code-sharing again - now that Eastern's NWI-ABZ has gone, is NCL-ABZ the only route that Loganair and Eastern/Flybe compete on?

rhutch28
19th Oct 2019, 09:43
Flybe and Loganair are code-sharing again - now that Eastern's NWI-ABZ has gone, is NCL-ABZ the only route that Loganair and Eastern/Flybe compete on?
From next year some of the seasonal service out of newquay will be in competition I belive (unless Flybe end those services)

ivor toolbox
20th Oct 2019, 09:16

Outsourcing C checks maybe?

FlyingFrl
4th Nov 2019, 09:26
Any updates?

PintofDoom
4th Nov 2019, 11:24
Nothing happening yet. Company just plodding along.

Jamesair
4th Nov 2019, 12:29
Eastern starting CARDIFF - ABERDEEN route operating via NEWCASTLE 5 weekly Mon - Fri..... with no change of aircraft.

fjencl
4th Nov 2019, 13:25
What aircraft type will it be using.

caaardiff
4th Nov 2019, 14:10
Eastern starting CARDIFF - ABERDEEN route operating via NEWCASTLE 5 weekly Mon - Fri..... with no change of aircraft.

The reality of that is that the CWL-NCL sector is already operated arriving 1150 and there's a 1225 NCL-ABZ. So it looks like no new flights, just some schedule amendments and marrying up to provide a CWL-NCL-ABZ link.

Letsflycwl
4th Nov 2019, 14:18
That’s exactly how they used to operate it so no problem here, it’s good that they are ready-introducing the “add on” sector to ABZ and vice versa.

ATIS31
5th Nov 2019, 19:07
Eastern Reducing to one flight a day between ABZ and WIC from 11th November I think this will ultimately go the same way as SYY

PintofDoom
5th Nov 2019, 21:20
The route to WIC is currently subsidised by the Scottish parliament but the pax figures are ridiculously low some flights departing with as little as 3 paying pax onboard. The route will eventually disappear, Eastern already closed the crew base at WIC.

More routes to be reorganised in time.

SealinkBF
6th Nov 2019, 16:42
The route to WIC is currently subsidised by the Scottish parliament but the pax figures are ridiculously low some flights departing with as little as 3 paying pax onboard. The route will eventually disappear, Eastern already closed the crew base at WIC.

More routes to be reorganised in time.

Is it? It isnt listed as PSO...but lots of news articles from locals wanting it to be... a shame service is being reduced.

Even now the times are dire with first flight at 1215. When I lived there Gill operated up to three flights a day from 0635hrs!

Would have hoped that the codeshare with LM would have helped the feed. LM are selling BE flights but does not seem to be reciprocated on BE website.

ATIS31
6th Nov 2019, 19:53
Pintofdoom I'm not surprised theres only a few people on the flights, if you have a Discount card it is still £200 return and if you don't have one its a whopping £270 return !
SealinkBF your right about flight times being useless first flight into WIC not until lunch time. No use for people wanting to do business in the county. They have been trying to get PSO for WIC but I don't think the Government are taking them on. WIC should have it if Dundee can get it !

rhutch28
8th Nov 2019, 16:26
What aircraft type will it be using.
Jetstream 41
Not sure i would want to spend 3 hours on a Jetstream

FlyingFrl
10th Nov 2019, 17:53
Any news about JZ / JU, stored/mx?

rhutch28
24th Nov 2019, 21:36
Currently just JB, JD, JL, JY operational. Plan is to get back to 10 operational but most need C checks and other repairs. Plus they need the new ADS-B equipment fitting.

41s are past it and hated by passengers and some crews alike.

Looks like G-MAJA is back in service now
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-maja

PintofDoom
28th Nov 2019, 20:31
Eastern is to lose its only subsidised french route RDZ-ORY from January 20th 2020.

fjencl
28th Nov 2019, 21:16
Is that french route the only scheduled flights that they operate outside of the UK, or do they operate other subsidised scheduled routes outside the UK.....

rhutch28
28th Nov 2019, 22:07
Eastern is to lose its only subsidised french route RDZ-ORY from January 20th 2020.

Is the route ending or is it continuing without the subsidy

PintofDoom
29th Nov 2019, 00:16
Its the only one eastern operate outside of the UK.
And the route is going to continue but will be flown by Amelia Aviation and will still be subsidised.

humbersidemotor
29th Nov 2019, 09:58
Amelia Aviation are a French operation so probably makes sense//

BOHEuropean
19th Dec 2019, 21:07
G-MAJZ and G-MAJU have both been at Cranfield since October, however both just sat outside and don't appear to be getting worked on judging from photos. Any idea what they're doing there?

Saab 2000 G-CERY was "cancelled by CAA" this week.

Active fleet down to; 2x ATR 72s, 2x E145s, 3x Saabs and 6x Jetream 41s

Wolfgang5150
21st Dec 2019, 06:09
What happened to their Embraer 170s?

virginblue
21st Dec 2019, 22:48
Wfu late 2018, returned to the lessor and apparently stored since.

BAladdy
23rd Dec 2019, 01:38
G-MAJZ and G-MAJU have both been at Cranfield since October, however both just sat outside and don't appear to be getting worked on judging from photos. Any idea what they're doing there?

Saab 2000 G-CERY was "cancelled by CAA" this week.

Active fleet down to; 2x ATR 72s, 2x E145s, 3x Saabs and 6x Jetream 41s

do you have a link to pic of JZ and JU in Cranfield

LGS6753
23rd Dec 2019, 16:58
By G00gling G-MAJZ Cranfield, a decent photo taken 8 days ago appears. Not so much clarity with JU, but there is a pic at what looks like Cranfield

s_insania
12th Jan 2020, 15:25
JT back in the air this week after nearly a month at MME. New engine fitted in December but took them a while to get it airborne after high powered engine runs. Three or four planned air tests which didn’t go ahead.

Looks like JY is u/s so down to 5 serviceable 41’s at the moment, which doesn’t cover their operations

rhutch28
12th Jan 2020, 16:15
Any idea what are Eastern's plans for the ERJ 145 once the Paris - Rodez service ends next weekend ?

PintofDoom
12th Jan 2020, 19:04
Eastern down to 4 41s. JA/JB/JD/JL.

JY has just been scrapped. No word yet on JU/JZ which are at cranfield.

SK which is in rodez is purportedly going into LBA once the last flights have been flown.

NorthEasterner
12th Jan 2020, 21:46
What is up with MAJT?

Currently in HUY

LBIA
13th Jan 2020, 09:44
Eastern Airways are set to re-acquire Embraer 170 this month and add a further 3x larger Embraer 190s later this year.

https://www.adsadvance.co.uk/eastern-airways-adding-embraer-170s-and-190s-to-its-fleet.html

Atlantic Explorer
13th Jan 2020, 12:48
Eastern Airways are set to re-acquire Embraer 170 this month and add a further 3x larger Embraer 190s later this year.

https://www.harrogate-news.co.uk/2020/01/13/embraer-e-jets-return-to-eastern-airways-fleet-at-leeds-bradford/

Here we go again. Didn’t work last time, can’t see it working again.

humbersidemotor
14th Jan 2020, 15:16
why not? New owner, who when owned before with his partner had a profitable business.

CEJM
14th Jan 2020, 16:34
Pure speculation but could it not be to replace Flybe on critical routes? Timing seems a little to much coincidence.

VickersVicount
14th Jan 2020, 16:41
very much coincidence given Eastern wouldn't have know exact BE finances or know outcome of potential rescue plan?

fjencl
14th Jan 2020, 18:21
Perhaps eastern airways have already got in place work for the 170 and the 3 x 190's that are coming to the fleet.

Didn't they assist BA Cityflyer before ????

SealinkBF
14th Jan 2020, 21:24
I wonder how quickly Eastern get the fares revenue from FlyBe, given that the latter somehow owed £106m of APD.

Albert Hall
14th Jan 2020, 21:33
The E170 isn't new - it's the same one they had before that's been in Naples for more than a year as apparently they tried and tried to get it into the specific condition to give it back to its owner.

The latest stuff filed at Companies House is interesting though. Both bits of Eastern made losses last year but I guess that's not too relevant as it was before the buy-out from Bristow and the lump of cash that came with it. More interesting are the filings before Christmas when the five Embraer 135s and 145s were pledged as security for a loan made into Eastern in October by a company which looks to be the private holding vehicle of Eastern's owner - so if the loan isn't repaid, guess what happens to the aircraft! If the entire lump of cash from Bristow was gone by October and they needed more money, things must be difficult?

Gunfighter52
15th Jan 2020, 09:02
What is up with MAJT?

Currently in HUY

Went tech at Teesside in early December, had an engine change, then made a few failed attempts to depart before finally leaving last week.

PintofDoom
15th Jan 2020, 14:33
Just been told this aircraft is to be scrapped as its been deemed non viable to pass a C check and become air worthy again.

fjencl
15th Jan 2020, 14:56
Different web sites seem to show differing fleet types and numbers, so what exactly is the current operating fleet situation. Does anybody know ???

What airports are the fleet based at.

PintofDoom
15th Jan 2020, 16:21
Currently there is JA/JB/JD/JL/JT/JU of the j41s. They move around the network as and when required to balance out their usage.

KA/KB/RZ of the saab 2000s, mainly based in ABZ

CY/CZ ATRs based in ABZ

MR/SK 145s. Rotate through HUY and RDZ when required. SK preferred for charters as has the extra galley space for 2 half carts and the 3 ovens. And its an LR model

caaardiff
15th Jan 2020, 17:58
What routes do the J41's operate on? I know one is based at CWL for the RAF Valley & NCL/ABZ flights but curious to know their utilisation elsewhere? They seem to be dropping quickly and with only 6 in the fleet there can't be much scope to keep them going.

PintofDoom
15th Jan 2020, 18:54
Routes for the 41s are LBA-SOU, MME-ABZ(if there is an aircraft), currently has a saab or 145 dropping in. NCL-ABZ/NCL-CWL-VLY, WRT-marham-conningsby-lossimouth(when required).

2 41s will be based in ABZ soon to replace the saab 2000s on the ABZ-LSI for BP.

SealinkBF
17th Jan 2020, 07:36
https://www.shetnews.co.uk/2020/01/15/airline-suffers-5-2m-loss-as-oil-and-gas-passenger-numbers-fall/

fjencl
30th Jan 2020, 16:59
Is the embraer 170 operating flights yet.

N707ZS
30th Jan 2020, 17:52
Have they got any current crew.

fjencl
30th Jan 2020, 19:20
Have they got any current crew.

Good question

vlieger
30th Jan 2020, 21:52
Heard quite a few horror stories from crew. How on earth do they keep surviving?

N707ZS
3rd Feb 2020, 13:28
Are there any plans to take on new staff at Teesside or will the crews just be moved from Newcastle.

PintofDoom
3rd Feb 2020, 20:20
Their deluded plan is for ncl crew to commute to mme before transitioning down that way.

Personally i would not relocate towards the teeside area but thats just me.

rog747
4th Feb 2020, 06:59
Surely if the crew are NCL based and are then rostered to fly from MME, their duty starts at NCL base.
The crew would be put in a taxi or crew transport, or given a travel allowance, or possibly the aircraft positions empty with crew down to MME>?

Rebak
4th Feb 2020, 08:02
Surely if the crew are NCL based and are then rostered to fly from MME, their duty starts at NCL base.
The crew would be put in a taxi or crew transport, or given a travel allowance, or possibly the aircraft positions empty with crew down to MME>?

Erm, no. The crew would be in a hire car from NCL, operate 4 sectors and hire car back to NCL. Then come back in the next day and do it all over again. For months. Years.

Atlantic Explorer
4th Feb 2020, 08:05

Anything is possible with Eastern. Staff will probably be expected to relocate to MME at their own expense and be told to be grateful they have a job.

Looks like LM have well and truly shoved them out of NCL which has been an Eastern base for at least 15 years! The same could be said of the NWI base as well. The MME experiment is a last ditch attempt to hold onto their NE roots, it’s their only option.

Jenny Tails
4th Feb 2020, 14:42
Erm, no. The crew would be in a hire car from NCL, operate 4 sectors and hire car back to NCL. Then come back in the next day and do it all over again. For months. Years.

Crew fatigue is nobodies friend.

N707ZS
4th Feb 2020, 14:56
Didn't think they were keeping anything at Newcastle.

SWBKCB
13th Feb 2020, 07:16
Is the embraer 170 operating flights yet.

Set off from Tarbes for HUY on 11/02, but had to return.

Rottweiler22
13th Feb 2020, 08:32
I can’t see the Newcastle LM base being there for that much longer. Especially when now it’s connected directly to the LM superbase of ABZ, and to EDI indirectly via Norway. Much cheaper just to service NCL from Scottish bases with cheaper LM infrastructure, like they’re in the process of doing with NWI.

So I reckon Eastern will be back in Newcastle before you know it.