PDA

View Full Version : Canada DCT routings

dallas
5th Jul 2017, 11:26
Hi all, I need to file a route from Labrador to the US midwest, and the high level airways structure isn't hugely efficient to get where I want to go. It makes sense for me to file a bunch of DCTs before picking up airways again on the last 25% of the flight, but I want to check Center(s) are happy with this - in particular that I'm not routing over a danger area or suchlike. So 2 Qs:

1. Does Canada allow long high level cross country DCTs like the US?
2. How could you check a route is ok beforehand? (I've seen the CFPS system but can't see a 'test route' facility).

+TSRA
5th Jul 2017, 15:16
Hi there Dallas,

1. Yes, NavCanada will allow very long directs in conjunction with the other controlling sectors and agencies. I've been given directs clear across the continent before even while i wonder whether the issuing controller needs to discuss such a long direct with all the other sectors, or whether they just file a new plan and see what the system says, but either way, it does happen.

2. If it is really uneconomical and you need the direct routings, I would talk to the local FIC. They might be able to throw the routing into the system and see what it gets back or offer alternatives to you. 1-866-992-7433 or if you're at the airport and they're not busy, they might let you up in the cab. They're a great resource which I always felt I under utilized back when I was doing my own planning.

albatross
5th Jul 2017, 16:36
If you are dealing with the guy at Gander CTR ...they are really, really good about getting you someplace you want to go vs a tour of the airways system.

dallas
5th Jul 2017, 22:21
Thank you both. I spoke to Gander Center earlier today and in sum he said 'file what you want'.