PDA

View Full Version : TigerAir Taiwan Co-pilot rats out others.

armchairpilot94116
26th May 2017, 06:39
http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/national/national-news/2017/05/22/497760/tigerair-disciplines.htm

Your picture may be taken by your co-workers and used against you.

framer
26th May 2017, 07:07
Wouldn't matter a hoot in any decent Airline as you are allowed to have a snooze on the flight deck as long as it is in the cruise and the appropriate procedure is followed.
My longest flight is only four hours but I have a twenty minute snooze about once a month while in the cruise.

Denti
26th May 2017, 12:29
And if you want to train your FRMS any further, write a fatigue report every time you take a nap.

Guess they don't know about napping in Taiwan.

Flocks
26th May 2017, 13:56
Max to 120hrs a month ... Not surprised some take a nap during cruise ...

B2N2
26th May 2017, 15:21
"Rats out others"....where you from? No Joisie?
I'd prefer the term whistleblower.

26th May 2017, 16:12
I have a twenty minute snooze about once a month
Blimey.
I thought my roster was bad.

roquefort01
26th May 2017, 19:02
Oh for Heaven`s sake! I used to fly for Big Airways and it used to be called `flight deck rest`. A quick 20 minutes in the cruise and it really set you up for the landing. Had to be `organised` though.

The Range
26th May 2017, 22:47
B2N2,
No, he is not a whistleblower, he is a rat. You don't do that to a fellow flight crew member.

stilton
27th May 2017, 05:13
Couldn't agree more TR

TowerDog
27th May 2017, 05:28
Agree again.
You don't rat on fellow crew members.
Some folks have no common sense. :sad:

JammedStab
27th May 2017, 08:25
Well maybe it depends what the isue is. But when in reality, this is a safety issue(ie a quick snooze actually makes a safer operation), it is definitely the wrong thing to do. Especially when(from what I have read) there is no policy in that country for controlled rest on the flight deck.

nolimitholdem
27th May 2017, 09:14
Those expressing surprise at a colleague telling tales on another have clearly never flown in Asia.

armchairpilot94116
27th May 2017, 20:19
What is good to note is that he was not commended for his actions. But rather reminded that it is the responsibility of BOTH members on the flight deck to be alert and to "whistleblow" (as some prefer) a year later is not of merit.

framer
28th May 2017, 00:22
One consequence is that now a lot of people know that that Airline is behind the times with safety procedures/philosophy.

777Efoh
28th May 2017, 02:59
All Taiwanese carriers have the same policy of no 'controlled rest' whilst on duty. FOs and even FAs can and will rat on you.

flash8
29th May 2017, 00:10
Well, Tigerair currently has 92 pilots (-3 disciplined) = 89 - Captains - recent starters = pool of suspects

Not sure that guy can remain anonymous for long!

Dan_Brown
29th May 2017, 01:05
He is a rat, to the core. If a FD crew member is tired I used to encourage them to let the others know they wish "too put their heads down for a bit". that way you wouldn't have 2 or 3 "unfresh" crew, when you may need them most.

It is even more fatiging, battling to stay awake for hour upon end, than having say a 20 to 30 mins or so siesta. When the sleeper has awoken there is at least one "fresh" crew member on the FD.

If your body is crying out for sleep, then let it sleep!! Under a controlled environment I can't see any problem apart from the fact I did tend to dribble from time to time while indulging in controlled rest/unconscious.

Years ago over the South Atlantic I Awoke to find the other 2 crew members still asleep. No we didn't rat on each other BTW.

rottenray
29th May 2017, 02:21
B2N2,
No, he is not a whistleblower, he is a rat. You don't do that to a fellow flight crew member.

Yup. This isn't about safety, it's about one-upsmanship. Someone trying to get ahead by stepping on the faces of others.

Power nap? Fine. Rather have you alert and refreshed.

Anything bad happening while you're taking a power nap? Someone to rouse you?

I'd really hope for anyone other than this prick, who seems to be the type to take notes instead of flying the effing plane.

Cheers!

SRS
29th May 2017, 05:57
There were no procedures for flight deck controlled napping when I was with the land of the morning calm. The problem was and is cultural. I cannot tell you how many times I found both my crew members fast asleep ( 3 man crew) and I have heard of all 3 found asleep by other crew members.

FerrisBueller
29th May 2017, 10:30
Shame on this FO. Studying the overhead panel (controllled rest) is a very effective tool on longer sectors to avoid fatigue. No safety implications once the other pilot is alert. Can imagine as others say he will not remain anonymous for long and will be a very unpopular chap. Maybe even in for a dose of his own medicine as soon as he deviates from company SOPs. This idiot has put a target on his back!

ramble on
29th May 2017, 11:09
The fact that they are so out of touch with reality and modern thinking is a very good reason NOT to fly TIGERAIR for me. A cultural "Loss of Face" thinking perhaps?

It was NASA that did the original scientific studies over 25 years ago.
https://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/1990/90-090.txt
https://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/1994/94-177.txt

Even Indias DGCA has worded it nicely.
http://dgca.nic.in/misc/draft%20circular/Draft%20Operations%20Circular%20-%20Controlled%20Rest%20Draft.pdf

noflynomore
29th May 2017, 21:50
Rats "out" others?
What on earth does that mean?

We all understand the correct "rats on others".

What is "out" doing there??? You can't rat "out" someone any more than you can rat "inside" someone. Is this another weird fabrication like swapping "out" instead of just swapping? Ferfuggsake!
Do try harder. You can't just make up the English language as you go along...

framer
29th May 2017, 22:45
Yes you can and people do. If it sticks they just change the dictionary.

dtaylor1984
30th May 2017, 17:26
Rats "out" others?
What on earth does that mean?

We all understand the correct "rats on others".

You appear to understand this variant, too.

International Trader
7th Jun 2017, 02:35
The Taiwanese national pastime is sleeping. They sleep ( even standing up ) on the trains, the buses at all hours of the day and , at the stroke of 12:00 pm in offices.
My experience of flying there was that there was something wrong if I didn't look over to see the local fast asleep with his face pressed up against the side window. Warn the other guy , what for?
Of course, if you pulled out a news paper to read ( as distinct from their use for it as wall paper for the windscreens) , out came the camera and the photo was quickly dispatched to the fleet office so as to grease his way to a command .

Dan_Brown
7th Jun 2017, 10:00
LOL

Multiculturalism at it's best!

Wall paper seems to be SOP with FD crew from Asia in general. It assists with pigmentation "issue's".

I had to be careful what noises i uttered in the cockpit, as the CVR transcript was libel to end up on the boss's desk, such was the F/O's need to get my seat. This was a private operation albeit.

The joys of the Asia.