PDA

View Full Version : TransJet

Moses Mashomba
9th Jul 2002, 17:41
A little birdy just told me that the Swedish CAA have pulled their AOC !

Anybody know any more or why ?

redfield
9th Jul 2002, 18:45
I haven't heard anything for definite BUT it would explain why Nordic Airlink are operating an extra CFU from BRS and accepting SWL tickets, and one of SWL's flights through NCL being taken over by Aegean as of last week. If the AOC has been pulled I can't say I'm surprised. Without wanting to be too negative it's been on the cards for a while.....

Mega
9th Jul 2002, 20:23
I was told they had eight inspectors from the swedish CAA on a nice little visit some week ago or so!

It just might have a connection with the AOC on drift!!

Even if they sort things out, i think more than a few have lost their little faith they had in them!

Time will tell!

/M

VIKING9
9th Jul 2002, 21:22
Talking of fact, as Transjet was on another thread, they have indeed had their AOC pulled. Sorry of course to see people out of work, but lets face it, the travelling public have had enough of airlines like this. Lets hope another Flyby Night Tours airline doesn't spring up in their place.....and do it all over again.

sky9
10th Jul 2002, 07:04
It's good to see the Swedish CAA had taken action. It is a shame that other CAA's don't take more interest in their companies who operate predominantly abroad, (Out of FIR; out of mind) undermining the properly regulated airlines in the process.
From my point of view good to see them go; hope the employees get another job - hope the directors get prosecuted.

rupetime
10th Jul 2002, 07:29
sky9

Just because they are swedish doesnt mean that they are not properly regulated...infact quite the opposite...if they werent regulated they wouldnt of had the visits from 9 individuals from their own CAA ....dont forget these charecters are in Europe...its all JAA now mate !!

rt

sharpshot
10th Jul 2002, 07:35
SE-RBT sat on the deck at Birmingham - Speedcat coming to take the pax on their hols.

Hope BIA not owed too many (any) pennies!:(

Hudson Bay
10th Jul 2002, 08:48
Pitched up to BHX International at 0400 hrs on my way to Rhodes and was handed a letter confirming that Transjet had there AOC withdrawn last night. I am now back at home awaiting confirmation of a new departure time. The latest information I have is that Cougair has been sub-charted although this is not definite. I think I am correct in saying that Cougair is owned by one of the Ex Gill Air directors. Can anybody confirm this?
I am glad the sun is shining in Birmingham! (And the prune site is working!!)

sky9
10th Jul 2002, 09:08
Rupetime,

I didn't say that the Swedish were not properly regulated. It is the others that concern me.

Biggles Flies Undone
10th Jul 2002, 09:46
Swedish Press reports:

“The security level in the company's eight airplanes is unsatisfactory and this is the reason for the move, Egil Cederborg of the civil aviation administration said.” ....... “Transjet Airways now has two months to take measures to improve its security, otherwise the company will risk a suspension of its flight licence.”

Redline
10th Jul 2002, 10:32
A few of my friends worked for this outfit (cabin crew), some of them had genuine fears about safety on board the aircraft. Some had walked, and one went to the CAA (UK) to express her concerns.

Sad for all that have lost thier jobs, but this company had no place in our modern safety driven environment.

VIKING9
10th Jul 2002, 10:40
Cougar is NOT owned by an ex Gill director, thankfully, and yes they are possibly rescuing the BHX pax today.

Brenoch
10th Jul 2002, 10:50
Is that to say the AOC is suspended for two months pending an audit by the CAA??

Number 5
10th Jul 2002, 11:08
they are restructuring the company apparently...how long this will take who knows!

dkey1
10th Jul 2002, 12:15
Cougar IS rescuing the pax from BHX today

Cat O' Nine Tails
10th Jul 2002, 14:27
Cougar Leasing is run by Keith Newnham having taken the Super 27 with him when Sabre Airways became Excel Airways. The present director of flight operations is ex gill airways.

I can confirm that Cougar are operating the Birmingham - Rhodes flight in lieu of transjet.

TLA901
10th Jul 2002, 16:13
Swedish CAA safety regulators have effectively forced charter operator Transjet Airways to ground its fleet after threatening to revoke the carrier’s air operator’s certificate (AOC) if it fails to address CAA concerns.

Transjet Airways has an three-strong fleet of Boeing 747-200s and five Boeing MD-83s, primarily leased from Finova Capital, on holiday routes to European, African and Middle East destinations. The airline was founded two years ago, initially conducting business for UK tour operators. It has hubs in Sweden, Greece and the UK.

While the CAA declines to give specific details of the issues involved, it says that it is unhappy with certain procedures at the carrier, although pointing out that the airline has so far shown willingness to co-operate with the regulators.

Swedish CAA aviation safety policy section head Egil Cederborg says: “We have a lack of confidence in the management of the company. We’ve given [Transjet] terms on things which need to be corrected, and parts of the management which need to be changed, to restore the quality system to the way it was intended to be.

“We gave them an ‘offer they could not refuse’ – the alternative [to voluntarily resolving the issue] was the revocation of their AOC.”

He says that it is unclear how the carrier is organising certain aspects of its business – systems to assess pilot qualifications, for example, “might be in place” but nevertheless need clarification.

Cederborg stresses, however, that the carrier has demonstrated “goodwill to act” and adds that the CAA “did not want that effort to be wasted”. But he says that it is important for the carrier to show “not just lip service but to re-engineer the company as such”.

Transjet Airways management could not immediately be reached for comment.
:eek:

Hudson Bay
10th Jul 2002, 19:01
Well guess what guys? I am still waiting in BHX for the Cougar flight to arrive!! Tech delay and operational problems. ETD 2300 hrs! BHX pax not happy! Someone help us!

Hudson Bay
10th Jul 2002, 19:29
Just been told the delay is indefinate. This is turning into a nightmare!

Engineer
10th Jul 2002, 19:59
Hudson Bay

That what you get when you deal with third rate airlines like Transjet and a third rate leasing company like Cougar limited.

Those are the breaks mate enjoy your holiday :D :D

VIKING9
10th Jul 2002, 20:06
Actually, if you knew the REAL reasons behind Cougar being late, you would not make comments like "Cougar being a 3rd rate leasing company". ETD is ACTUALLY 2100 local....... anyway, it's better than not going at all ;)

Engineer
10th Jul 2002, 21:37
V9
Actually, if you knew the REAL reasons behind Cougar being late,
It appears that pax like Hudson Bay have not been informed about this and one can only make an assumption on the post given @ 1929utc. May be cougar is another Flyby Night Tours airline
your own post on this thread :cool: :cool: :cool:

jetstream7
10th Jul 2002, 21:40
Viking9

don't be so coy...

What is the REAL reason for the delay then?

:D

VIKING9
10th Jul 2002, 22:25
The reason, I guess, is commercially sensitive but when a schedule is presented then changed, it doesn't help matters. I did hear that the B727 experienced a technical problem, and that it would not and could not depart with the snag. So from that angle, safety came first and not commercial pressure.

Cougar like most ACMI leasing companies will react to requests in the best ways possible and allowable and carry out the flight accordingly.

If an airline comes to rescue stranded pax like those today at BHX then you can't really blame them for being late. If, in this case, Transjet hadn't stopped operating, then the flight would have operated earlier. Not to schedule I grant you, but earlier.

Now whats this I hear that Transjet are possibly having their AOC re-instated shortly ??

jetstream7
10th Jul 2002, 22:41
Thanks Viking9 for your reply

So........if they do have their AoC reinstated, the big question has to be, will they have any customers ??????:rolleyes:

VIKING9
10th Jul 2002, 22:56
Personally I can't see them regaining their AOC. Passenger and tour operator confidence has been shattered already. I think maybe tour operators need to look deeper into how these "foreign" airlines operate. At the end of the day, it's not just the airlines' reputation that goes down the toilet, passengers start looking at who they book the holidays with. I agree that most punters had never heard of Transjet before they boarded their aircraft but they certainly do now......

VIKING9
10th Jul 2002, 23:26
Another fact is that there are not too many UK registered airlines WITH the spare capacity to cover a collapsed programe. Cougar does have capacity apparently, but with only one pax config aircraft, even they would be limited in what they could cover. Have heard though they they start a STN-ZTH-STN service on Sundays commencing this week. Maybe they could pick up some other routes too.

Another sore fact is that the days of UK based tour operators using UK registered airlines as a main, are long gone. Foreign airlines come cheap yes, but look at what happens in the end..... terrible delays, safety concerns, cabin crew walking out and more..... and that's just Transjet.

Maybe the time has come for UK based tour operators to put back the faith in UK airlines that they once had. It's not always about cost. Ultimately though, the passenger will either benefit or suffer...........:confused:

Brenoch
11th Jul 2002, 00:36
I think maybe tour operators need to look deeper into how these "foreign" airlines operate.

Could we all refrain from generalizations such as this please..

VIKING9
11th Jul 2002, 00:55
WHY ?

password
11th Jul 2002, 06:51
Maybe the time has come for UK based tour operators to put back the faith in UK airlines that they once had. It's not always about cost.

.....................Are You Sure ???

Engineer
11th Jul 2002, 07:44
V9
If an airline comes to rescue stranded pax like those today at BHX then you can't really blame them for being late.

Yes they can be blamed. As a leasing company one would expect that the aircraft and crew are available on a standby basis. The necessity to react quickly to a callout reflects in the price of the service provided.

A company knows the disposition and availability of its aircraft and crew on an hourly basis. Hence when a request is submitted the reaction time should all ready be know and the service provided will reflect the nature of the company. This could be first or third rate. QED

Wing Commander Fowler
11th Jul 2002, 08:39
"Engineer"

If you ARE what your name implies then regardless of what preparations you put in place vis-a-vis standby crews etc etc, If you have only one available aircraft and IT brakes down you WILL get delays........

Errr... is this a toughie for you? I KNOW you won't find THAT in a manual but try to think about it.......

;)

Number 5
11th Jul 2002, 08:55
I work for TJ and all we have been told is that this is a temporary measure!?

I should have operated yesterday but was put on SBY the night before...When I spoke to OPS yesterday I was told that there would be nothing today for me...

Nobody seems to know exactly what is in store, but I am led to believe everybody is working together to resolve the problems.

As a matter of fact, working for TJ has been great and they pay better than most charter airlines. Obviously there have been, and still are problems, but the cabin crew are highly experienced, hard working and loyal.

We all hope that this can be turned around and I for one won't be paying too much attention to The Sun and other dailies!

Until we all know what's going on, we shouldn't speculate too much and slag the company off...;)

dkey1
11th Jul 2002, 09:41
It seems that Cougar was late due to a tech problem caused by the ENGINEERS, so Engineer it seems to be a fault bcoz of someone like you, nuff said :mad:

Engineer
11th Jul 2002, 10:57
WCF

Brakes are what you apply There are the things at the end of your feet when you sit in a aircraft seat. Hope that one is not to technically tough for you. BTW you will find that one in the manual if you bother to read it ;) ;) ;)

dk

If the engineers caused the problem may be it is time to employ first rate personnel this usually reflect in the company. If as WCF states that it is a single aircraft operation then the commitment point should be a little more flexible as there is no fat in the system.

dkey1
11th Jul 2002, 14:39
And every Airline is perfect, yeah right, eat my hat if you could prove that anyone was :mad:

Raw Data
11th Jul 2002, 14:48
Well as of a couple of hours ago the Cougar "Super27" was still sitting at BHX- a crew was in attendance but it was apparently terminally ill with an AC bus failure.

Nice looking aircraft though.

Those that scoff at small, niche charter and ACMI operators fail to realise just how good some of these operations are. Not all, of course, some are disaster areas!

Wing Commander Fowler
11th Jul 2002, 16:26
"Engineer"

So you have an eye for detail (when it suits you) but wear the proverbial welders goggles most of the time!! Since you're now the spelling policeman you might like to re-visit your post and pop another "O" in along with the "to" ......

I never said Cougar was a one aircraft operation at all, if you'd like to re-visit my posting and read it without the goggles on.....

How does the old adage go? " I usen't to be able to spel engineer.... now I are one" I ought to know btw - I was one!!... hehe

;)

Fraudsquads
11th Jul 2002, 16:45
To defend Cougar

They did get the Super 27 in the air fairly quickly recently when they were sent to collect the poor school party from Scotland to Barcelona after their coach crashed in France.

I think every would be fairly quick to praise them for those actions. Perhaps critisism should be direct at those that chose Cougar as their only back up.

FS

ArcticCircle
11th Jul 2002, 17:04
Why do you guys attack Cougar? This thread is supposed to be about the Transjet AOC being pulled. Or may be I have misunderstood something........;)

VIKING9
11th Jul 2002, 19:46
Raw data - facts wrong again. The a/c was on a layover at BHX today and there NEVER was any flying planned. Whats more, the a/c has been servicable all day - allegedly.:p

Raw Data
11th Jul 2002, 20:12
Viking9

Hmmm, well... maybe, but I was parked adjacent to it (on 76L), and in a moment of sheer boredom whilst awaiting pax, I went over to have a look... got chatting to engineer working on a/c... who told me what I said above.

Maybe your facts are different to my facts!

Besides, it wasn't a criticism, we had four tech today. All aircraft go tech from time to time, and if you only have one, well, you are more exposed to tech delays.

I have worked for small operations like Cougar, and have mostly really enjoyed the experience. They provide opportunities missing in the "airline" world- from limited perspective it lloks like a good operation. Certainly the aircraft is well presented.

So, good on you Cougar, good luck TransJet, may we all prosper!

VIKING9
11th Jul 2002, 21:03
Raw Data

Indeed, good luck to us all. This flying lark will never catch on ;)

Hot Rod
12th Jul 2002, 19:31
Hi.

Swedish TV and websites reports that Transjet will be back in the air soon (next week?) after a meeting today with the Swedish CAA.

Don´t ruin this topic now with bull**** about other companies like the other Transjet topic! This topic is about Transjet!:mad:

Wing Commander Fowler
12th Jul 2002, 20:11
This could be your only reply then........

gulf-crew
12th Jul 2002, 22:29
Thanks for the info HOT ROD much appreciated

Brenoch
12th Jul 2002, 23:02
Thumbs up!!!

12th Jul 2002, 23:03
I'm glad to see that you put the words "Transjet" & "bull****" in the same sentence!

charterguy
13th Jul 2002, 08:52
What's the point of having Transjet 'back in the air', when tour operators have lost confidence in them ? :confused:

taba
13th Jul 2002, 08:58
They have several interested parties FYI !

Bunch of great people working for them too.

Hope this is resolved soon!

Good luck TJ!

Engineer
13th Jul 2002, 09:00
Unfortunately it is not about the people working for them it all about the way the company is run.

VIKING9
13th Jul 2002, 10:57
Yeh and will it fold for good when they run into trouble AGAIN.... let's face it, as mentioned previously, confidence has gone so what will keep them in business ?

taba
13th Jul 2002, 11:39
only 2 crews based lgw...just had a call from stockholm!