PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft valuations

bcfc
8th Jul 2002, 12:04
or... Is there a Parkers guide for light aircraft?

I ask because I'm looking to join a group and the C172 in question has been valued at £25k. I haven't a problem with this but how do you go about valuing an aircraft? Is it a case of seeing what has been sold of a comparable spec recently?

-bcfc

Established Localiser
8th Jul 2002, 12:53
Try http://www.landings.com I seem to remember that if you scroll down there is a Glasses Guide for aircraft,although remember that condition & history is more important than a guides opinion,good place to start though ! :)

distaff_beancounter
8th Jul 2002, 13:02
bcfc IN USA there is something called "The Blue Book" that is very roughly equivelant to Glass's guide to motor vehicles in the UK. Sorry, I do not have contact address for it.

Compared to cars, light aircraft is a very small market, in terms of number of S/H items sold per year.

So yes, you are correct, you really have to look at the ads, and perhaps phone around the companies that do trade in S/H light aircraft, to compare prices.

As you are probably well aware, the main factors affecting a light aircraft's valuation, are general condition (obviously), whether it is on private or public CoA, total airframe hours, engine hours, prop hours, & values of bolt on extras, particularly avionics & autopilots.

A replacement reconditioned engine, with all the extras, for a C172, will cost about £8,000 to £11,000 inc fitting. So clearly a C172 with 20 hours left on the engine, will be worth around £10,000 less than one with a new engine, just fitted. A really good avionics kit & autopilot could have cost up to £10,000.

QDMQDMQDM
8th Jul 2002, 15:47
Popularity is also a very important factor. If you opt for a less popular aircraft you will get a lot more for your money. In choosing my current aircraft it ended up as a toss-up between a Super Cub and a Maule. I could have bought a 235HP Maule with much greater load-carrying capacity, good cruise speed and 4 seats for less than my 2-seat 150HP Super Cub cost me in the end.

The flip side is that if you do pay more for a popular aircraft type it is also more likely to hold its value. (I tell myself this on a nightly basis.)

QDM

A and C
9th Jul 2002, 07:36
Can you please tell me where I can get a "really good avionics kit and autopilot" for £10,000.

I am waiting cheque book in hand !.

distaff_beancounter
9th Jul 2002, 07:53
A and C Yes on reflection, I was being a bit optimistic at today's prices! BUT, of course, I was assuming that the kit was fitted in the C172 in question, a few years ago.

(Well that is the best excuse that I can come up with, at this time of the morning :D )