PDA

View Full Version : E170/190 question

Check Airman
28th Jan 2017, 06:04
Hi,

Does anyone know know why Embraer opted to leave conventional ailerons with FBW pitch and yaw controls?

Snakecharma
28th Jan 2017, 09:50
Cost and time to market. The ejet was their first large fbw airframe and they wrote the control law software in house.

The E2 is full fbw

Piltdown Man
28th Jan 2017, 22:26
With any luck the ailerons will then work properly. These are the weak point on the current version. They are very powerful but at the same time probably the worst ailerons I've ever flown with. They have a binary feel: No aileron or some aileron and the spring that supplies the feel is as strong as hell. "Unharmonious" might be the best description.

Check Airman
29th Jan 2017, 04:43
Thanks for the info. It really is a strange little airplane.

Roj approved
29th Jan 2017, 05:21
Combined with the silly handlebars pivoting 6 inches below your hands really made it a bit odd, but it still lives in my memory as a lovely aeroplane.

Co incidentally it is 7 years ago today since I last flew one, hopefully all the software upgrades has made it even better.

Piltdown Man
31st Jan 2017, 08:40
The upgrades, depending on the package selected by your airline, have only really changed the reliability and function of subsystems, like bleed air, anti-icing logic, etc. The basic guts of flying is unchanged. So when you are hot and high descending FLCH, where are the power levers? You are stupid enough to use VNAV, so where and when will the aircraft pitch forward and overspeed you? I trust this aircraft little as I would a rabid dog. And that is after eight years.

Piltdown Man
31st Jan 2017, 08:48
Check Airman - It might be strange but it's cheap and it does perform. It doesn't use much runway, either landing or taking off. It climbs well and is economical to operate. It also provides a reasonable interior for the passengers. But never let marketing people or bean counters decide the internal fit. They'll choose the wrong lockers, rip out wardrobes, stick in small galleys and install extra seats; then have the cheek to ask why you can't do a quick turnaround and why you can't stow all the hand-baggage. I love explaining...

Check Airman
31st Jan 2017, 10:04
Thanks PM,

It's certainly an improvement over their last disaster- but from a pilot's perspective, doesn't seem quite ready for prime time yet. It pays the bills for now though.

Amadis of Gaul
31st Jan 2017, 11:24
I was only on the -170/175 for 15 months, but loved flying it.

FE Hoppy
31st Jan 2017, 15:12
1500 sold.
Can't be that bad.

Check Airman
1st Feb 2017, 00:17
By that logic, the 737 should then be described as "amazing" or "revolutionary" lol

triploss
1st Feb 2017, 02:20
Passengers also seem to love the aircraft. Better seats than a 737, WAY more comfortable than the other regional jets (and proper overhead storage to boot). In the US they have proportionally more first class seats in the -175 (yay scope clauses), and in Europe at least BA have a low density plane meaning plenty of legroom (to minimise FA count).

Amadis of Gaul
1st Feb 2017, 02:23
By that logic, the 737 should then be described as "amazing" or "revolutionary" lol
I've certainly heard it described as amazing.

FE Hoppy
1st Feb 2017, 14:40
Certainly was both at it's launch.