PDA

View Full Version : FTL regulation when FI and flying commercial

slr737
4th Oct 2016, 11:08
Could someone clarify the EASA FTL requirements when you are flying commercially and also giving flight instruction ?

On FTL, the flight hours limit seems to be only linked when flying to commercial with an operator.

The total flight time of the sectors on which an individual crew member is assigned as an operating crew member shall not exceed:

(1)100 hours of flight time in any 28 consecutive days;

(2)900 hours of flight time in any calendar year; and

(3) 1 000 hours of flight time in any 12 consecutive calendar months.

The only limit would be to be rested prior to any duty within your airline.

hobbit1983
4th Oct 2016, 15:32
I don't believe there are any EASA FTLs specifically linked to flying instruction (but stand by to corrected). In my experience, flying schools have their own FTLs in their Ops Manual.

Or simply don't have any.

portsharbourflyer
4th Oct 2016, 22:05
Hobbit,

You have misunderstood the question. For some one instructing and only instructing there are no duty limits or flight time limits.

But if you are working for an AOC holder and instruct on the side then the instructional hours need to be accounted for within the limits slr stated.

So SLR each instructional hour you do on the side would in theory count towards your 100 monthly and 1000 hour total. Some operators may not allow you to instruct on the side because of this.

ifitaintboeing
5th Oct 2016, 07:48
But if you are working for an AOC holder and instruct on the side then the instructional hours need to be accounted for within the limits slr stated.

So SLR each instructional hour you do on the side would in theory count towards your 100 monthly and 1000 hour total. Some operators may not allow you to instruct on the side because of this.

In the UK this is incorrect, and has been since the introduction of EASA FTLs. The UK CAA do not require the reporting of GA instructing or examining towards CAT FTLs.

Operators approved under EASA FTLs do not require non-commercial operations to be included. There was a consultation on this during the ANO Review (http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=11&mode=detail&id=6918) leading to a change in CAA policy. The old ANO Article 144 has been replaced in the new Air Navigation Order with Article 174 et seq. This does not require the reporting of non-commercial flying (which includes instructing and examining) for the purposes of CAT FTLs.

However, your CAT operator may have legacy requirements included in their OM A which may currently require you to include these in your totals/days off.

ifitaint...

slr737
5th Oct 2016, 11:59
Thank ifitaint.

That's what I thought. However my operator is non-uk but Irish and they might have a different view on EASA FTL.

But i thinks the way it was designed in EASA FTL by EASA was that non commercial time was not included in your commercial limitation

portsharbourflyer
5th Oct 2016, 23:00
Apologies everyone, was thinking back to JAA days when I was doing both AOC work and instructing,

BBK
29th Sep 2017, 08:04
Ifitaintboeing at el

Old thread I know but I've had a quick look at the ANO article 174 etc but I can't see where the counting of instructional hours don't count. What I mean by that is a suitable paragraph to highlight and then request my company to look at its Ops manual for revision.

Thanks in advance.

regards

BBK

BEagle
29th Sep 2017, 13:32
EASA does not wish to rule on this - it was raised at a recent meeting and the conclusion was that it was simply a matter between the pilot and the AOC holder.

BBK
1st Oct 2017, 09:05
Hi BEagle

Thanks for that info. I'll talk to the company direct and see if they're amenable. Also, I may try the CAA as well to see if they will provide some guidance.

BBK

sts99
4th Jan 2022, 10:57
Good morning
I was reading all answers and I have some doubts.

Let's consider the case of a pilot working for AOC holder and doing FI/FE activities on free time.
At the end of a AOC duty, to be legal, there is a rest period to be respected before starting FI/FE activity? According to FTL there is not application for NCO (ATOs etc), except if reported/requested by ATOs manual etc.
Considering the common sense (fatigue etc) I would say to respect at least home base 12hrs or last duty (if greater). But what about the legal aspect?

Second example: in case of AOC duty interesting local fuses (long haul) as for CS FTL.1.235, for ex. 3 local nights required - Is it legal to operate as FI/FE during daytime btw local nights requested by the CS?

Thanks guys

Fl1ingfrog
4th Jan 2022, 21:08
At the end of a AOC duty, to be legal, there is a rest period to be respected before starting FI/FE activity? According to FTL there is not application for NCO (ATOs etc), except if reported/requested by ATOs manual etc. Considering the common sense (fatigue etc) I would say to respect at least home base 12hrs or last duty (if greater). But what about the legal aspect?

BEagle has answered this old chestnut simply and to the point. An AOC applies to its operation but nothing outside of it. The pilots free time is just that their free time. Flight instructing is considered a 'private' flight' for this purpose and therefore it does not require an AOC. Only the flying undertaken and breaks from work subject to the operation of an AOC must be included in the AOC operators logs.

There is nothing to say a pilot must "rest" in their free time. The pilot may do as they please although much of it may not be considered resting. The pilot however can be expected to turn up for work fit to do the job both by the regulator and the employer.