PDA

View Full Version : Low vis takeoff on contaminated runways

busav8r
5th Sep 2016, 10:03
For the Bus and Boeing experts in this forum: Does anyone know what is the minimum allowed RVR when taking off from contaminated runways? :rolleyes:

I have been searching everywhere and I don't find any sustained information about this. I heard some companies use 200m as the minimum RVR (which makes sense to me), but other than that I don't find anything written about this subject.

B737900er
5th Sep 2016, 10:10
They are two different things. My current operator can depart at 125m (if you meet the visual criteria) and only depart on braking action medium or better.

FlightDetent
5th Sep 2016, 12:28
There is no regulatory (EASA land) requirement, to increase any margins for LVTO such as TOGA thrust, flap setting, contamination or wind components.

Some operators do feel, perhaps based on their own experience, that it is prudent to make LVTO a more conservative, strictly standardized operation. Hence some additional requirements such as C/L only with PBRK=ON. Such approach is admirable, and some of the restrictions may even come from the manufacturer's suggested SOPs. CM1=PF perhaps.

Unless extremely clearly worded in the manuals and well explained, those additional requirements could become a source of confusion for line crews. Writing unambiguous manuals and explaining things to pilots are, both of them independently, forms of black art.

PEI_3721
6th Sep 2016, 10:57
Approvals for very low vis takeoff (<250m?) may be based on the availability and/or spacing of centreline lighting.
If the runway contamination reduces the lighting then a higher vis should be used.