PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Aus/NZ Positions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Brakerider
12th May 2016, 20:45
Advertised last night for Australian/NZ based A320 pilots.

Guess this puts the whole ATPL thing to bed?

To be considered for a role in the Australian/New Zealand operations, you will hold:

Australian Air Transport Pilot Licence or a CPL with passess in all Australian ATPL subjects

Jobs - Job Details - A320 First Officers (http://careers.jetstar.com/cw/en/job/494098/a320-first-officers)

skysook
12th May 2016, 21:41
Is it only Melbourne base on offer? Or is that just the location of the interview?

The Green Goblin
13th May 2016, 00:22
Once you're on the list you can bid to go wherever you like, subject to positions of course being advertised.

I'd imagine with the recruitment drive they've just announced, plus guys returning to qantas and replacements, they'll need a minimum of 5 a month for two years to get their numbers. They can't all go to Melbourne.

noclue
13th May 2016, 08:31
How long is the wait list for a Brisbane or Gold Coast base?
Or is it still a SEQ base?

Duck Pilot
13th May 2016, 08:43
Word of advice, if you want the job forget the location. Get the job first then negotiate it. I've got no affiliation with the Qantas group, however I'm adamant that Jetstar would have a very strong seniority list, start at the bottom and move your way up.

Good luck to all who apply!

no one
13th May 2016, 09:08
The email also said they expect more to leave (QF MOU pilots returning) and they want to INCREASE the pilot numbers from 800 to 850 so my guess is it will be closer to 100 needed to be recruited.

ratpoison
13th May 2016, 23:41
then negotiate it
Will somebody help me get back up from the floor? Now that was bloody funny. :D:D:D

Falling Leaf
14th May 2016, 09:53
So what is involved in the recruitment process? Do you still have to pay for the psychometric testing, sim interview, Endorsement plus $10,000 'management fee'…..:yuk::ugh:

clear to land
17th May 2016, 17:33
Average Captain age around 40-business model says no more than 65 aircraft for Aus. Conclusion-unless prepared for the offshore pay-cut you are signing up to spend many years in the RHS of a LCC or getting jet time to move to a real airline outside Australia-where conditions are also going down and seniority lists are now very long. The industry is not for those without stamina!

Density
17th May 2016, 22:39
Well said cleared to land! :D

AileronsNeutral
18th May 2016, 07:45
Do you still have to pay for the psychometric testing, sim interview, Endorsement plus $10,000 'management fee'….. Can't tell you about the interview process costs but under the latest EBA the company will pay for your type-rating with the proviso that you will remain on the 'level 1' FO salary for 4 years rather than 12 months.

Currently basic narrow-body FO1 salary is $101075 (uplifts by 3% in July) but a prospective employee may only be offered employment under the Flexi-Line agreement (effectively 75% part-time) which would make it a basic of $74121. If employed under FL you must be offered full-time after 24 months from checked-to-line if you're not out of the cap of 10% of total pilot strength, ie only 80 pilots out of 800 can be on 'forced' FL. Pilots on Flexi-line can be rostered no more than 15 working days per month and will usually be rostered to 56 credit hours, any excess being payable, but are not entitled to work under the 'Highline' provisions of the EBA.

sahni
18th May 2016, 10:10
Can't tell you about the interview process costs but under the latest EBA the company will pay for your type-rating with the proviso that you will remain on the 'level 1' FO salary for 4 years rather than 12 months.

Currently basic narrow-body FO1 salary is $101075 (uplifts by 3% in July) but a prospective employee may only be offered employment under the Flexi-Line agreement (effectively 75% part-time) which would make it a basic of $74121. If employed under FL you must be offered full-time after 24 months from checked-to-line if you're not out of the cap of 10% of total pilot strength, ie only 80 pilots out of 800 can be on 'forced' FL. Pilots on Flexi-line can be rostered no more than 15 working days per month and will usually be rostered to 56 credit hours, any excess being payable, but are not entitled to work under the 'Highline' provisions of the EBA.

Thanks for this bit of insight. Do you know if same/similar rules apply to Jetstar NZ?

Ollie Onion
18th May 2016, 10:18
Jetstar NZ are hiring on the basis of a time bond. The Company will front the cost of the type rating and in return you are bonded for either 3 or 4 years (can't remember which). If you leave in that time then you owe them a proportion of the training cost. Its a pretty good deal.

sahni
19th May 2016, 08:57
Jetstar NZ are hiring on the basis of a time bond. The Company will front the cost of the type rating and in return you are bonded for either 3 or 4 years (can't remember which). If you leave in that time then you owe them a proportion of the training cost. Its a pretty good deal.

What is the value of this TR i.e. how much does Jetstar NZ 'charges' for it?

Falling Leaf
19th May 2016, 10:51
Pilots on Flexi-line can be rostered no more than 15 working days per month and will usually be rostered to 56 credit hours

So get 1-2 days off more a month but only 75% of the pay. :ugh:

Funny how a lot of these 'part time' positions result in you working nearly as hard as a full time position; seems the only thing 'part' is your pay.

Cloud Cutter
19th May 2016, 19:00
So get 1-2 days off more a month but only 75% of the pay. :ugh:

Funny how a lot of these 'part time' positions result in you working nearly as hard as a full time position; seems the only thing 'part' is your pay.
Need some help with the maths?

15 - 11 = 4 extra days off per (roster) month.

If you work harder, you get paid more. It suits some of us to cram the work into less days, so I'm supportive of options like this.

AEIO-540
20th May 2016, 07:37
Hi AileronsNeutral,

You are right about the salary starting at $101,075 for a Level 1 FO. But I don't know were you are getting that they are required to be hired as a flexi line pilot?

I think you will find that they will be full time pilots. So they then have the option of highline that gives you an additional payment per duty hour worked as well as duty time allowance. Average duty per year is 1120 hours per year.

These new pilots will not start until after July 2016 so they would be looking at
Base $104,107 plus $5.79 per hour of duty. Average duty hours per year equals another $6484 plus DTA of approximately $5756. Total salary excluding extra flying allowance or day off payments equals $116,347.

SHVC
20th May 2016, 08:55
What is the difference between non high line and high line?

AEIO-540
20th May 2016, 09:08
SHVC,

The difference is as follows:

A) Two roster periods per finical year can be reduced to 9 days off, But you still get minimum 132 days of per calendar year.

B) You can be rostered up to 8 Available days per finical year. These day still come out of your total work days so your not doing any more work just being rostered differently.

For these two things you get paid an additional $5.78 per duty hour.

AileronsNeutral
20th May 2016, 14:22
You are right about the salary starting at $101,075 for a Level 1 FO. But I don't know were you are getting that they are required to be hired as a flexi line pilot?

I think you will find that they will be full time pilots. I have no information on the contract that will be offered which is why I said they may be hired under flexi-line. This is based on the fact that most DEPs have been recruited on FL over the past few years as a matter of course, if there has been a recent change of mindset/policy in flight ops management then great.

qfpaypacket
21st May 2016, 10:39
Hours in OZ at about 900hrs per year.
Average line Capt pay 250,000 - 275,000
Average line FO 160,000 - 180,000
A few bonuses and a fair bit of flying in there...........

framer
21st May 2016, 11:27
Are Jetstar Aus pilots really doing 900hours a year or is that just Melbourne based pilots?

Requestflyby
22nd May 2016, 02:27
Lots of hours around at the moment, most of the hours are on the east coast. Some SYD FOs are going to hit 200k with overnight allowances included, not including Super.

LongLats
25th May 2016, 11:45
Looks like requests for the first round of psychometric testing have been sent out...

Do you know of people actually receiving psychometric test invites?

SHVC
26th May 2016, 20:44
Redundancy??? You clearly don't have a clue think.

Going Nowhere
26th May 2016, 23:17
At least 1 ATR pilot is now in QLink

SHVC
27th May 2016, 04:07
So because "at least one ATR pilot has gone to QLink" that means guys are loosing their jobs?! Not one ATR,ejet or 73 pilot has been asked or offered redundancies.

He/She just jumped ship for his own reasons.

The Green Goblin
27th May 2016, 06:13
A couple of years back guys were jumping qlink for VAR. in fact some guys turned down JQ for it.

If only you could see into the future.

SpyderPig
27th May 2016, 06:36
I know one guy who's jumped from VARA to Air Naru. From what he tells me they are hardly leaving in droves or threatening redundancy. What type of experience are the people getting replies working with?

das Uber Soldat
1st Jun 2016, 00:48
Anyone done the compass psychometric testing yet? Which exercises did they include?

Chips n gravy
17th Jun 2016, 04:30
Hey,

Any updates on guys/girls getting interviews at JQ lately? It's all gone a little quiet! Surely they must be running low on FO's with Qantas starting to take pilots back??

ANCDU
17th Jun 2016, 08:16
Hey Chips there were a few groups doing interviews at the Qantas training centre at Airport West recently, can't give you numbers its second hand info but apparently experienced applicants not cadets.

das Uber Soldat
17th Jun 2016, 10:42
4 did the assessment day Wednesday, 4 went through today. Wonder how many they will take :o

LongLats
18th Jun 2016, 10:04
4 did the assessment day Wednesday, 4 went through today

Has anybody on here been invited or heard from them? I find it a bit weird that people seem to vaguely know of people progressing through the recruitment process but I'd love to hear from someone directly who's had contact from Jetstar since throwing their application in.

das Uber Soldat
19th Jun 2016, 00:40
Has anybody on here been invited or heard from them? I find it a bit weird that people seem to vaguely know of people progressing through the recruitment process but I'd love to hear from someone directly who's had contact from Jetstar since throwing their application in.
What's wierd about it?

And what do you want to know.

das Uber Soldat
19th Jun 2016, 00:41
What a surprise that no QLink drivers have been offered an interview. In Links eyes, their drivers must be so honored to work there that management has the right to prevent them from seeking employment with other companies. I suppose that the Lashings will continue until morale improves.
Do you have any evidence of that though? I'm told the entireity of VARA applied and to my knowledge none of them have been offered interviews either.

SHVC
19th Jun 2016, 08:20
All the VARA guys had phone interviews which is more than what the QLink guys have got.

das Uber Soldat
19th Jun 2016, 09:41
No joke. Well fair enough then. Everyone I know who went to the assessment day worked for smaller operators, had between 4000 and 4500 hours and are fo's

SpyderPig
19th Jun 2016, 11:49
that's weird, no ones taking sick days where I am haha

atlas12
22nd Jun 2016, 00:32
Lots of hours around at the moment, most of the hours are on the east coast. Some SYD FOs are going to hit 200k with overnight allowances included, not including Super.
Care to explain how you arrived at this number?

Requestflyby
22nd Jun 2016, 05:36
-Base $110,000
-DTA and Highline $17000
-Overtime, very conservative at 10hrs for 10 months of year : $14000 some rosters you may get 20- 30hrs OT at approx $140 an hour

Work Day Off- anywhere between $1000 and $1800 depending on flight hours. So assuming you do 1-2 work day offs a month one at min and the other say 4 sectors for 10 months thats
- around $15000-$28000 in day off payments. In some cases you wont lose total number of days due to having another rostered day taken off you. Again depends on how you get rostered. I have heard of 9 work day offs in one month by someone!

6 percent bonus plus an additional 5 percent was paid this financial year:
-$12000

And back pay of about
-$7000 - $8000

Add all that up and you will get very close to 200. It all depends on individual and how they have worked ie more overnights or more/ less OT etc...

atlas12
22nd Jun 2016, 07:07
Ah I see, EBA back pay and bonus comes into it. Thanks.

waren9
22nd Jun 2016, 07:54
185k for one of the best years of your life.

if thats how you wanna spend it, by all means go nuts.

ExtraShot
22nd Jun 2016, 08:06
-Overtime, very conservative at 10hrs for 10 months of year : $14000 some rosters you may get 20- 30hrs OT at approx $140 an hour

Work Day Off- anywhere between $1000 and $1800 depending on flight hours. So assuming you do 1-2 work day offs a month one at min and the other say 4 sectors for 10 months thats
- around $15000-$28000 in day off payments. In some cases you wont lose total number of days due to having another rostered day taken off you. Again depends on how you get rostered. I have heard of 9 work day offs in one month by someone!

Hmm, I also would have thought that the very recruitment that this thread is talking about would reduce these additional components?

I can't imagine the Company is happy paying $15-28000 a year to somebody for working on Days meant to be Off Days, let alone a good proportion of 1000 odd employees getting it.

A couple of Jetstar guys I know were complaining that these day off payments, along with the overtime component, had become rare as Hens teeth a couple of years ago (it seemed they'd become used to getting it and perhaps had become reliant on it). The current situation is probably a result of the complete lack of recruitment over the recent past, while the usual attrition has been going on still, and that has created somewhat of a shortage. The same has been true for QF, though theres no such thing as 'Day Off' payments, many have been flying lots of hours and earning a fair way above minimum guaranteed pay. Regardless, now that things are moving on the recruitment front again I'd 'bank'(!) on them stuffing it up in the other direction and overdoing the recruiting again. Such is life in an Airline.

Not saying that JQ folk aren't having a good year this year either (well, if you like getting flogged for coin), but lets not kid newbys into thinking this is the norm. As with any job, bank on minimums; bonus pay is exactly that, a bonus.

Requestflyby
22nd Jun 2016, 08:49
All Valid points. The LCC model is based on crew working overtime, not sitting on 600hrs a year. While Jetstar continue to roster without using a proper bidding system guys are going to UFD and not come in on particular days that they need off, or simply cant be bothered doing. Other guys will either pick this up on STBy or WDO. Another 50 (as indicated by GS) people joining the company wont change things significantly in the grand scheme of things. Especially since this is mostly to cover annual leave and QF guys going back and some wide body movement. Slightly less WDOs, and slightly less OT yes. The company lends itself to using STBs and WDOs on a faily regular bases. Ports with no Engineering coverage/ delays due min turn around times/ rostering errors / carrying MELs/ rosterting such that any delay results in crew walking of..etc etc.. why come in and waste a Saturday if your not in OT or get rostered a 2 sector day? Its the system, its far from great but that comes down to many other factors.

The Green Goblin
23rd Jun 2016, 00:39
It's just the way it is. Right now the company is short and working the troops hard. They will over recruit like last time and grow into it.

Another 50 FOs will become 100 with attrition for the campaign. Which means there should be a few commands coming shortly too. Hasn't been much in that regard since about 2013.

Ollie Onion
23rd Jun 2016, 01:56
Work Day Off payments are an abuse of the pilot community. Just goes to show how shallow pilots are as a group are, by accepting these payments we simply allow the company to operate without truly exposing the crewing levels for what they are.

The thing that makes me laugh is that FO's will sit there complaining about the lack of Command opportunities but don't have a problem with Captains working on days off. Can you imagine how many command positions would be generated for FO's if no Captains worked on days off?

During the recent EBA negotiations I asked one of the pilot managers what their thoughts would be on removing all payments for working on days off. The initial reaction was the manager saying that the company would be ecstatic to get rid of the payment and save some money, he then asked 'why would a pilot work on a day off if they don't get a payment for it?', my answer was 'exactly!'. Suffice to say the pilot manager then changed his mind and said the company would not entertain removing the day off payment.

We bitch and moan about fatigue and rest, lack of commands, lack of crewing etc but we prop up these practices by selling our rest and days off for a few bucks.

So next time you fly with a CP on a day off, that is your command, and next time as an FO you work a day off, that is a seat a new pilot could be filling.

waren9
23rd Jun 2016, 02:11
exactly ollie. exactly.

Cloud Cutter
23rd Jun 2016, 02:27
Amen to that. There's a difference between applying a bit of goodwill (if the company has earned it) to help out on the odd occasion, and selling off all your workmates' future Ts and Cs for a few bucks in the short term. Some employers need constant reminding that goodwill is a two-way street.

Cessna Jockey
23rd Jun 2016, 05:26
Well said Ollie! :D:D:D

Madame Bandit
23rd Jun 2016, 06:53
Oh Ollie. Sweetie, I really am getting quite attracted to you. Classic post. :D :ok:

Bula
23rd Jun 2016, 09:02
Since day one JQ has always relied on WDO payments. It was only with the QF life raft strategy that numbers advanced to the point of where we all believed they should be and such payments were rare as hens teeth.

Now the love boat occupants are spreading their wings back to the mothership we will once again play a game of cat and mouse. And what Melbourne view as monitarily efficient, we always view as operationally inefficient. At the end of the day it's their train set.

I don't think any of us believes an extra 20 commands will help career aspirations for anyone apart from the anointed 20. Great motivation for a short term though in 12 months we are back here again.

ROH111
23rd Jun 2016, 12:49
The phone rings:

"$1000 to push a few buttons and talk in sequence"

"No, it's all smoke and mirrors to stop you from hiring more pilots"

Ha.

I'd take the Day Off any day. It's locked in.

If you take the 90 rostered hours: only to lose 10 hours at the end of the month due "training" and you lose money.

Pilots: take the money. If a new recruit wants the job, you not doing a day off wont do a thing. They'll find someone else who will do it.

I think: the guys here are promoting to other JQ pilots to say no to day off work so that they can get more day off work. Don't believe their bull****.

Cloud Cutter
23rd Jun 2016, 19:11
ROH111, each to their own, just remember that some of us prefer to work less than MGH and have a life if possible - that's why we became airplane drivers and not doctors or law-talkin' folk.

Requestflyby
23rd Jun 2016, 21:33
Working less than MGH in the countries biggest LCC, sorry almost fell off my chair. Oh and by the way, as I recall our opportunity to stand united and not work WDos was 2 years ago, remember. Grow up the lot of you.

morno
23rd Jun 2016, 21:36
And here we have a showing of the caliber of people Jetstar hires.....

MadMadMike
4th Jul 2016, 02:38
Anyone heard anything recently? Put my application in over a month ago with very similar experience of what I am hearing most people who have been recruited have had. My application has been sitting at "under review" for weeks with no other contact?

das Uber Soldat
4th Jul 2016, 03:45
Anyone heard anything recently? Put my application in over a month ago with very similar experience of what I am hearing most people who have been recruited have had. My application has been sitting at "under review" for weeks with no other contact?
2 courses starting in August composed of people who interviewed in June.

Chips n gravy
23rd Aug 2016, 02:19
Anymore news about recruitment either in Oz or NZ for JQ?

Apparently some Oz based crew have been sent over to NZ to help fill the gaps in FO ranks! Things must be getting tight with JQ crew?!!!

Ollie Onion
23rd Aug 2016, 04:06
Currently 15 new FO's training for NZ, so probably that will be it until they are on line, there is a need for a further 50-100 FO's in OZ.

Boomerang
29th Aug 2016, 12:57
For guys thinking of joining:
Average hours for last 7 years: 640/year. Never cracked 700hours.

Annual summary 2015 around $130+ with almost no OT, 2016: $185+ to give you an indication of bonuses and a fair amount of OT. I am a level 3 320 FO. Day off payments are rare in my base as we aren't flogged as hard. This financial year will probably be about 700-750hrs when I finally do the logbook before my next medical.
Overtime and day off payments vary greatly from base to base (extra 300hrs or $50k at a guess) that will also change a little as crewing levels change. If you want to do less hours, try Flexi line.

Jetstar does offer a few lifestyle options (long haul vs short haul, flexi line and choice of base) (control over your roster definitely is NOT one) but you will be working for the rest of your life. Time to command: current upgrades I'm guessing have been here 9 years or more. I've been here over 8 and if I'm lucky I may have a chance next year. Not sure about time to command for new joiners but I guess Jetstar doesn't have the retirement rate or fleet growth that many mature airlines have. JQ has had its growth spurt. If you're just looking for a step up, that probably doesn't phase you.

Biggest pro for me: time at home with family. Stable employer.
Biggest negative: No roster control/input (apart from a few day off requests which are unpredictable). It is and always will be a LCC.

wheels_down
29th Aug 2016, 19:20
9 years and no upgrade?? Joined in 2007?

You on HR's naughty list or something?

das Uber Soldat
30th Aug 2016, 03:48
How likely is it they will expand the 787 fleet?

Willie Nelson
30th Aug 2016, 05:50
Bloody great company to work for.

Good money, good allowances, wide variety of flying.

Best of all, the flight crew standards are great and there is always a move to improve in relation to both check and training and best practices operationally.

They are constantly trying to cut costs in areas that will often be of irritation to you but never a safety of flight threat.

Actual just culture works and his respected by everyone I've come across.

They provide open and public feedback on the C and T department too, not sure if you're going to find that with too many other operators.

Great base options and there is less screwing with the rosters than Tiger for example, although it certainly does happen at times.

Biggest downside will be your time to command (again because of the median age of captains) although if you're young this should be of little influence. If all the captains were leaving then that might tell you a different story about the company.

We make money and have good prospects to remain in the black for years to come, but don't tell anyone!

Karunch
31st Aug 2016, 00:02
I take it Willie that you have enjoyed your first two months.

Cessna Jockey
31st Aug 2016, 08:09
I think what Hawk Circle is trying to say is......

How much sick leave do you fellas get?

Boomerang
31st Aug 2016, 08:21
Anyone on here with firsthand knowledge willing to give an indication of the lifestyle elements associated with Jetstar...knowing that it is a LCC operator.

* Number of overnights
* Roster stability/predictability

Number of overnights very greatly depending on your fleet and base. You can bid to avoid or accrue overnights. What's your base of choice and I might be able to give something more concrete.

Roster is very stable once published, with the caveat of disruptions meaning you may be called out on standby and could be displaced from your next duty. If your base is busy that probably means a lot of call outs. Normally you only get 3-4 standby days per month. The EBA and day of ops agreement have some good basic clauses for lifestyle protection. We don't have draft.

HOOROO
2nd Sep 2016, 04:44
Not overly sure what boomerang has been smoking but from working at the same airline I can assure you it is about a million miles from rosy

logansi
2nd Sep 2016, 05:05
Number of overnights very greatly depending on your fleet and base. You can bid to avoid or accrue overnights. What's your base of choice and I might be able to give something more concrete.

Roster is very stable once published, with the caveat of disruptions meaning you may be called out on standby and could be displaced from your next duty. If your base is busy that probably means a lot of call outs. Normally you only get 3-4 standby days per month. The EBA and day of ops agreement have some good basic clauses for lifestyle protection. We don't have draft.
Similar questions - Melbourne would be preferred base

Boomerang
2nd Sep 2016, 10:46
Not overly sure what boomerang has been smoking but from working at the same airline I can assure you it is about a million miles from rosy

Well then, rather than have a vague whinge why don't you provide something concrete for these new guys? My experience here, overall, is positive, otherwise I wouldn't stay. There is definitely room for improvement and sometimes they really do 'try it on', but what other Australian carrier would you rather work for and why aren't you there?

HOOROO
3rd Sep 2016, 06:05
Well then, rather than have a vague whinge why don't you provide something concrete for these new guys? My experience here, overall, is positive, otherwise I wouldn't stay. There is definitely room for improvement and sometimes they really do 'try it on', but what other Australian carrier would you rather work for and why aren't you there?

You hit the nail on the head with the 'try it on' airlines basically. Sorry didn't mean to have a go, came out wrong after a very long 4 sector day.

BlackPrince77
3rd Sep 2016, 07:15
I think what was mentioned earlier, saying that if you're flying a jet for the first time and basically 'upgrading' with Jetstar, it is worth it, but don't expect it to be rosy at all := . If you're on a check and training job in GA on something turbine/jet/and or multi-crew, you might be better staying put where you are.

The crew at Jetstar are home every night, rarely doing overnights, pay is ok, leave is entitled to each pilot every year, but goodluck trying to get the time off WHEN you want it off :ugh:. Guys are doing about 900 hours are year realistically, sure you can work part time but the company has to agree to it, you can bet how well that goes down at this time when they need so many pilots.

Duties are around 10hrs long on average sign-on to sign-off, usually 4-5 days on a week. Around 11 days off a month. Days are quite long when you factor in driving through traffic, catching the airport bus then walking to the crew room before and after your duties. Scheduling is usually 4 sectors or 2 long sectors. Rest between duties can be quite minimal (9 hours sometimes) which is legal believe it or not! Try driving 1 hour home through traffic and 1 hour to work in the morning, then playing sport for 1-2 hours and seeing your kids/wife another hour and what are you left with maybe 5 hours to sleep??:zzz: :bored: But it's ok!:ooh: because the new CEO likes to put in his email footer that safety is our number one priority, as long as we say that and print it everywhere, it means we are being safe.:ok: Regardless of the fact that crew are being made to do ridiculous back-of-clock trips and are putting multiple fatigue safety reports in every week which are being ignored due to officially there being 'not enough cumulative data'. Well just wait for the next accident to occur and i'm sure there will be enough 'data' to reconsider it!:mad: There's a reason Qantas just about never do 2 crew back-of-clock return flights. Which airline really cares about safety?:rolleyes::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Time to command is probably 10+ years easily, most captains are 35-40 years old. Yes there are mid 30-year old captains on the 787! (nothing against that btw) Most of the 99 NEO A320's QF have ordered are not being added to Jetstar's fleet, but replacing older CEO A320's so the fleet isn't going to expand, neither in long-haul. Jetstar isn't getting any more 787's for the foreseeable future. Again, as mentioned, Jetstar's huge growth spurt has come and gone, the industry itself doesn't have much more capacity to expand domestically, not like it did 5-6 years ago anyway. The best you can hope for is some expansion into Asia-pacific when the NEO's arrive, but that will be minor compared to their expansion previously. Word's recently from a wide-body FO who's been in the company 7 years already, he says it's another 3-4 years before he's due for a command.

It is what it is, there are worse airlines to work for. Jump on in, do your time and move on elsewhere to bigger and better things. Goodluck :ok:

*I don't claim to work for them, but this info is accurate and first-hand*

Boomerang
3rd Sep 2016, 12:57
BlackPrince has given a fair account so it gives you an idea what you are in for in a big/busy base. I'm lucky to be in a quieter base, but that said we have seen what can happen to quieter bases. Hobart, Adelaide, Darwin were all closed at various times so it is indeed not all rosy. Looking at MEL, pilots are on average 92 (credit/block) hours for the month. Overnights are hard to judge, but looks like a few per month roughly. Maybe someone in base can comment. Many big bases are in the same boat. 90 hours a month for several month is not fun and unfortunately I don't see this changing until a significant number of new pilots have joined.

GApilut
4th Sep 2016, 08:57
If you're on a check and training job in GA on something turbine/jet/and or multi-crew, you might be better staying put where you are.

Mmm I can tell you that Im earning a crap load more as a FO at JQ on the 320 and enjoying a better lifestyle than I ever was doing C/T on turboprops. But if thats your thing then stay in GA or regionals by all means- someones gotta do it. As for JQ it is what it is, do what is best for your sutuation. Wait and join QF or there is always Emirates or Cathay; they are really popular.... :D:D

The Green Goblin
4th Sep 2016, 13:28
Pilots make me laugh.

When you're not working hard you whinge about no overtime. When you're working hard you whinge about working hard.

The above poster is obviously Sydney base, and unless you have a necessity to live in Sydney, go to another base. You'll be much happier. You'll probably live longer too.

The pays good now at the star, the lifestyle bases are there and whilst it's slowed down for time to command, it's the same in every other major Australian jet operator. Historically in all airlines you'd be lucky to see the left seat of a jet in Australia in 15 years.

I think many pilots in Australia got unrealistic expectations of progression in the post Ansett period. In reality, there was certainly a bit of growth, but the young guys pretty much took the commands from guys who had waited their 15 years as the new airlines grew into the formers footprint.

Lookleft
5th Sep 2016, 00:59
Why obviously Sydney? The F/O's in Melbourne and Brisbane are working big hours as well. With the overtime and WDO payments some F/O's are netting 12k a month. Try achieving that in GA.

High_To_Low
5th Sep 2016, 02:05
It's great making 12K net a month but if you are working your Days off what QOL is that?
No point being the richest man in the graveyard.....

Lookleft
5th Sep 2016, 02:50
Completely agree with you HTL, I was just trying to demonstrate that there is a big difference in net pay at the moment between GA and jet F/O positions. The QOL issues are more relevant to the family people (as a generalisation) but with families comes financial pressures so the money does help them. Everything in aviation is cyclical though and there will be a time when the hours drop and paypackets shrink.

High_To_Low
5th Sep 2016, 03:04
Totally agree with you as well Lookleft - You've described pretty much the situation I'm in. I have a young child with my wife on Mat leave so initially flying these 90-100hr rosters was great for the extra $$$, now I'm in the 6th month of doing these sorts of hours and I can tell you that it is starting to hurt. Prior to having my child I wondered why everyone was complaining about the hours / control over rosters etc...now I'm a father I completely sympathise and agree! FYI I'm in a 'lifestyle' base i.e. not SYD/MEL/BNE/ADL so we are getting flogged everywhere across the network (except maybe our PER brothers and sisters)

framer
5th Sep 2016, 08:36
I was exactly the same HTL, when I didn't have kids I often thought people were moaning a bit much but my opinion changed when the down time at home and ability to sleep undisturbed dried up! Maybe they should put an age limit on pilots of 35 ?

myshoutcaptain
5th Sep 2016, 10:30
HTL I'm lead to believe your Perth brothers are 85hrs + .. all to Bali and Singapore via Bali - only. Not a lifestyle base.... But that is determined by what's important to you ...

Johnny_56
7th Sep 2016, 14:55
If you are offered a position with Jetstar is it on the proviso that you have an endorsement?

Ie. They will pay for it but you won't get paid until you have completed it or are you paid from the day you start the endorsement?

das Uber Soldat
8th Sep 2016, 01:19
If you are offered a position with Jetstar is it on the proviso that you have an endorsement?

Ie. They will pay for it but you won't get paid until you have completed it or are you paid from the day you start the endorsement?
You're not paid until after you complete the endorsement.

_gazelle_
8th Sep 2016, 04:23
How is this acceptable i.e. not getting paid whilst training during the endorsement? How long is the endorsement - 6 weeks... Is that even legal?
How do people go so long without income?

Ollie Onion
8th Sep 2016, 04:30
Because at the moment you are not employed until you have an A320 endorsement, it is a requirement for you to be rated on your start date, Jetstar will facilitate organising the rating and will pay for it.

This will change next year when Jetstar gets approval to provide its own A320 Type Ratings.

aviation2020
11th Sep 2016, 16:40
I have an upcoming interview next month. I will appreciate if some one could provide details on planning activity, sim assessment and interviews. Is there any place in Melbourne where you could go for sim practice?

Chips n gravy
8th Oct 2016, 07:19
What's the latest news with JQ recruitment, or has everyone jumped ship to QF?? I'm hearing they'll need to stock up on SO's soon, not just FO's! Anyone in the know?

Are Jetstar really cancelling the odd flight due lack of crew?
Cheers, Chippy

Chris2303
9th Oct 2016, 01:12
Are Jetstar really cancelling the odd flight due lack of crew?
Cheers, Chippy

Yes

Jetstar cancels two flights from Wellington to Auckland - National - NZ Herald News (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11725548)

Jbrownie
9th Oct 2016, 02:57
Was that jetfleet or turboprop?

Chris2303
9th Oct 2016, 03:24
That route is A320

Jbrownie
9th Oct 2016, 03:31
I'll fly for them lol

Chris2303
9th Oct 2016, 06:59
The difference is that NZ has about four times the number of flights that JQ has so a cancellation has less impact.

MadMadMike
23rd Oct 2016, 00:02
Are all new hires going to Mel base or is there a chance of choosing to go to BNE, CG or CNS?

Ollie Onion
23rd Oct 2016, 01:45
They currently have a new intake of pilots starting every 3-4 weeks. It is ongoing for the foreseeable future.

Lookleft
23rd Oct 2016, 07:55
Looks like its not just the airlines who are having trouble understanding that machinery needs someone trained to drive it! Pun intended:8

Queensland Rail disruptions: Annastacia Palaszczuk 'furious' over 100 cancelled trains in Brisbane - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-10-23/annastacia-palaszczuk-furious-over-queensland-rail-disruptions/7957862)

Brakerider
3rd Jan 2017, 05:53
Has there been anyone go through the interview process recently? What is the general process?

What bases might you expect initially?

Aviatrix91
3rd Jan 2017, 09:26
Has there been anyone go through the interview process recently? What is the general process?

What bases might you expect initially?

There have been lots of interviews and continuing into the future.
Process is psychometric online tests, interview with sim ride and flight planning exercise all on the same day.
Not sure about bases yet

Lookleft
3rd Jan 2017, 21:31
Sounds like the people responsible for the allocation of driver/pilot numbers are the same numpties whatever the transport method.

Queensland Rail: Brisbane train driver overtime blows-outs to nearly 19,000 hours - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-04/queensland-rail-overtime-doubles-in-less-than-two-years/8160264)

And their response is the same, more overtime or in the case of Jetstar a massive increase in day-off payments. I wonder if the QR people who created the problem will also be part of the solution.

Jetsbest
4th Jan 2017, 01:27
It's not a problem until it becomes more expensive than another alternative.😉

If "additional duty" payments are cheaper than hiring more pilots (training, superannuation, OH&S etc) there is little incentive for hiring. However if the pilots get fatigued by constant additial duties and, as is their legal responsibility, make themselves unavailable for same (or go sick), the costs associated with cancelled services may outweigh those of hiring.

Only then will a 'solution' need to be found....🤔😏

framer
4th Jan 2017, 06:40
Jetsbest is onto it.
Working on a day off should be a tiny payment if you want your company to get serious about maintaining their staff numbers. If they know they can plug holes with someone who is on a day off they can run reeaal lean man, real lean.

Willie Nelson
4th Jan 2017, 22:30
Brakerider:

I can't tell you much about the current process as I've been here a while but if you want Sydney or Melbourne then there's probably not much of a wait. More and more pilots are getting out of these bigger bases as their seniority affords it because of the cost of living.

A guy I flew with the other day has been here six months and bid for Sydney some weeks ago and was allocated Sydney in the very next roster. Outport base wait times though are much less predictable.

Lookleft
4th Jan 2017, 22:48
JB and framer. Absolutely spot on in a well run organisation that has a strategic outlook on pilot numbers. The same result can however be achieved through sheer incompetence and when the wheels fall off they fall off in a big way as they did on the weekend of the AFL Grand Final. It was only then that senior management realised that the second scenario was in play at Jetstar. A bit like the management at QR http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-05/poor-planning-over-reliance-on-overtime-to-blame-christmas-day/8164352

Pilots are not leaving the bigger bases for cost of living reasons. They are going to smaller bases for the better rosters.

tocum
9th Jan 2017, 13:44
hey guys

with the massive recruitment drive as advertised on their website, would anyone shed some light on possible 457 visa(business long stay visa) for A320 FO position with Jetstar in Australia.

CASA ATPL 4000TT with A320<100hrs

cheers
toc

WillieTheWimp
9th Jan 2017, 19:31
hey guys

with the massive recruitment drive as advertised on their website, would anyone shed some light on possible 457 visa(business long stay visa) for A320 FO position with Jetstar in Australia.

CASA ATPL 4000TT with A320<100hrs

cheers
toc

Don't take this the wrong way but you would be lucky to get hired with that experience as a local.

High_To_Low
9th Jan 2017, 21:59
Tocum,

With the number of positions on offer (over 150 just this year alone we've been told to expect), from a mate who's helping out with the recruitment, they are struggling to find suitable applicants i.e. CASA part 61 licence holders.
If you have that I can almost guarantee you'll get an interview.
To give you an idea I had around 3000hr when I got accepted and heavy turbo prop time (no jet)....

Max123
9th Jan 2017, 23:09
What would you classify as a heavy turbo prop?

Tocum,

With the number of positions on offer (over 150 just this year alone we've been told to expect), from a mate who's helping out with the recruitment, they are struggling to find suitable applicants i.e. CASA part 61 licence holders.
If you have that I can almost guarantee you'll get an interview.
To give you an idea I had around 3000hr when I got accepted and heavy turbo prop time (no jet)....

wheels_down
9th Jan 2017, 23:21
With Tiger winding down the Airbus operation over the next 24 months

Has there been much movement Tiger => Jetstar?

High_To_Low
10th Jan 2017, 00:39
Max123,

Dash 8-Q400 time - no surprises where I came from

pilotchute
10th Jan 2017, 01:39
I dont think a DHC 8 qualifies as a "heavy" TP. A C130 or AN12 yes. AN 22 with a MTOW of 11400kg absolutely. DHC 8? No.

Chadzat
10th Jan 2017, 02:43
Geez this site is full of some wank these days. Who gives a crap if the bloke said 'heavy'.

High_To_Low
10th Jan 2017, 02:49
Thanks Chadzat

I was using the exact words recruitment / flight ops used and having 'heavy' turbo prop time (> 20t according to them) meant I only had to do 100hr line training and 4 sectors for landing assessments (usually 8 if you're off the Saab / B1900)

Don't be a dick pilotchute...

tocum
10th Jan 2017, 03:37
hey guys

thanks a lot for the inputs, esply from high to low.

Got over 2000hrs on the Q400, the rest on the B190. I reckon I should give it a go and hopefully it will work out!

cheers
toc

pilotchute
10th Jan 2017, 05:44
I wasn't being a dick but I will now. The 20T "heavy" TP rule is designed to advantage ex Military people with P3 (Electra) or C130 time. The fact that the Q400 qualifies by about 200kg is a coincidence. It should read "heavier" than 20T but HR write the ads not flight ops.

I've also seen "Frozen ATPL" on a few ads in Oz as well. Going call me out on them?

High_To_Low
10th Jan 2017, 05:49
tocum,

If your CASA licence is the new Part 61 (not the old style one) and you have the right to live / work here you'll get an interview for sure. At the moment they seem to be targeting guys from Network, Alliance, VARA etc but I know for a fact the biggest issue they have is finding guys with the Part 61 licence...

Good luck mate - I joined 5 years ago and it has vastly improved. Great bunch of guys and gals to fly with and I find flight ops (notice I said I - some guys will still whinge like always) to be quite supportive. I'm in a small base though so that might help my outlook on things..based in SYD/MEL is a different story from what I hear from mates.

PM me if you want any further details.

tocum
10th Jan 2017, 06:32
@ high_to_low; yes indeed I have the new Part 61 lic. Actually, the right to live/work in Oz is gonna be the problem unless Jetstar sponsors for the visa.
Please check your pm.

@pilotchute; I don't want to burst your bubbles, the MTOW of the Q400 is 29,574KG- heavier than u think & please stay calm in case i misinterpreted your msg!

The Green Goblin
10th Jan 2017, 06:50
Pilotchute, a Q400 is a big aeroplane. It is roughly the same size and weight as many regional jets. It's well over 20T.

I'd suggest some humble pie.

morno
10th Jan 2017, 07:10
And compared to something like a King Air, a Q400 is a heavy turboprop.

watermellon
10th Jan 2017, 07:23
3 years LWOP offered to JQ AUS A320 FO to NZ....

AUS must be in surplus

pilotchute
11th Jan 2017, 08:11
Melbourne Centre this is Qlink 400 "heavy" request....

I can see the controllers in fits of laughter!

Fonz121
11th Jan 2017, 08:17
I think you're the only one being laughed at.

Compylot
11th Jan 2017, 08:57
Some may mock but 'heavy' time can mean the difference between a candidate successfully and smoothly transitioning onto other more complex and weightier types or not quite making the grade.

An old sim instructor of mine once commented that he could tell those pilots who had flown heavy singles like 206s or 210s compared to those who had only operated light pistons such as 182s by their finesse.

In fact said same sim instructor said his most impressive student was a young Russian who had Tu-114 time!

High_To_Low
11th Jan 2017, 09:46
Who really gives a **** what's defined as 'heavy' for recuitment purposes - I know guys with Baron time who got into JQ. Do what you need to do to get the interview FFS

The Green Goblin
11th Jan 2017, 13:00
There's always one.

As far as turboprops go, the Q400 is a heavy one. It's also a medium weight catagory aircraft. Meaning similar separation standards for light aircraft following it, to a narrow body jet.

It's not a Boeing or a bus, but it requires a similar workload and standard to fly it.

Jbrownie
11th Jan 2017, 16:55
Are they still steadily hiring dash-8 f/os based in orcs

OM4
25th Jan 2017, 03:06
Has and Jetstar Aus Pilots been given anymore info on LWOP opportunities to Vietnam?

smiling monkey
11th Mar 2017, 07:12
So has the ADAPT test now being used in the selection process replaced the SHL psychometric tests? Or is it in addition to?

Aviatrix91
12th Mar 2017, 10:50
So has the ADAPT test now being used in the selection process replaced the SHL psychometric tests? Or is it in addition to?

Yep, SHL hasn't been used for quiet a while, and IMO ADAPT is a much better tool for pilots

PPRuNeUser0161
1st Apr 2017, 01:46
Hey guys
Where do you actually apply to JSTAR A320 DE FO position? I can't seem to find that position on the careers page.

SN

PoppaJo
1st Apr 2017, 06:29
Where do you actually apply to JSTAR A320 DE FO position? I can't seem to find that position on the careers page.

Job Ad closed midnight last night. This was the link (now dead).

Jetstar A320 First Officers Australia/New Zealand (http://careers.jetstar.com/mob/cw/en/job/494098/a320-first-officers-australia-and-new-zealand)

PPRuNeUser0161
1st Apr 2017, 23:00
PoppaJo
Roger that. I would say they are having a cleanup of the applications on file. Probably be re-advertised soon.

SN

log0008
6th Apr 2017, 13:12
Now back open (with a new careers site for JQ)

A320 First Officers - Australia and New Zealand | Jetstar (http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/careers/pilots-jobs/a320-first-officers-australia-and-new-zealand/1152242)

wannabe92
9th Apr 2017, 02:16
Hi guys

Apologies if this has been answered before or is in the wrong area

I’ve been invited for the cadet testing in Melbourne and don’t want to get ahead of myself but still just want to get a clearer picture of the lifestyle once you’re actually on the books and how rosters work in with the greater work life balance of today :}

I see a lot of talk on here about how many young captains there are at Jetstar, this has the obvious impact on promotion so at the moment how long could you expect to be a second officer for and then first officer?

I know you have to be prepared to move (which I would be fine with), but just wanted to confirm that the 787 bases are Melbourne and Sydney? Or can you get based in another capital?

For the A320 I imagine you get based in whichever city you’re needed the most, and then wait for appropriate seniority before being able to request a move? A few years ago there was a lot of news about pilots getting sent to NZ/Asia – does this mean a full on move to these countries is required or are you still based in Aus and just flying for these entities? Can this still happen?

Also what would a typical monthly roster on the 787 and A320 look like? On the A320 I imagine short haul is different, is it 5 days on 2 days off sort of thing?

Thanks again in advance

Gligg
12th Apr 2017, 12:16
A friend of mine has a mate whose cousin has twice the advertised mins, and a decent amount of multi turbine command but hasn't got past the 'thanks for your application' stage. Does anyone have current info on the sort of experience needed for interview?

Brakerider
12th Apr 2017, 18:37
A friend of mine has a mate whose cousin has twice the advertised mins, and a decent amount of multi turbine command but hasn't got past the 'thanks for your application' stage. Does anyone have current info on the sort of experience needed for interview?

It seems, for the moment, you need REX on your CV to get a look in.

Aviatrix91
13th Apr 2017, 00:25
They are processing huge amounts of applicants, most guys on courses at the moment are either from jet or regional turboprop back grounds

Gligg
13th Apr 2017, 10:53
They are processing huge amounts of applicants, most guys on courses at the moment are either from jet or regional turboprop back grounds

Thanks '91. A bit of a backlog no doubt after being relatively slow for the better part of a decade.

henli
22nd Apr 2017, 09:25
Anyone have an idea of time to widebody FO, and time to narrow body command? Supposedly VA is looking around the 9 year mark for command...

Cessna Jockey
22nd Apr 2017, 11:45
As of the latest seniority list:

5+ years to Wide Body FO
8+ years to Narrow Body Command

Obie
28th Apr 2017, 09:56
Can anyone give me an update on the Jetstar cadet positions that were advertised just prior to Christmas. Is anyone on course or have been told of their selection for a course this year?

fortybelow
2nd May 2017, 05:34
Any AKL based F/O willing to send me via PM a copy of recent roster for comparison purposes? De-identifed is fine, just want to see what an average roster is like.

Cheers
40b

Stretch06
2nd May 2017, 11:19
Obie,

11 cadets selected and have commenced training in the first intake of the year. Second intake is scheduled to commence 31st July.

Stretch

Jbrownie
3rd May 2017, 07:48
Anyone have info on the current dash-8 operation in NZ? Are they still hiring? Plans for expansion in the NZ operation? If anyone could pm me the current pay/condition/etc I would be greatful... thanks

PoppaJo
29th Jun 2017, 05:02
'Urgently Required'
Pilot Job - A320 Captains and First Officers - Urgently Required (http://www.afap.org.au/pilot-jobs/pilot-job/3601/A320%20Captains%20and%20First%20Officers%20-%20Urgently%20Required)

Mass exodus or something?

SpyderPig
29th Jun 2017, 05:45
That's for Japan. They've been looking for people for that constantly over the past year or two.

Airbus A320321
29th Jun 2017, 05:45
'Urgently Required'
Pilot Job - A320 Captains and First Officers - Urgently Required (http://www.afap.org.au/pilot-jobs/pilot-job/3601/A320%20Captains%20and%20First%20Officers%20-%20Urgently%20Required)

Mass exodus or something?

That'd be for the Japanese operation champ. To cover their growth.

seneca208
5th Jul 2017, 23:15
Is it possible to move from JQ NZ on the A320 to JQ Australia on the A320?

Lookleft
6th Jul 2017, 00:22
Is it possible to move from JQ NZ on the A320 to JQ Australia on the A320?

No, two seniority lists. Aussies who have taken the JQ NZ job have found that out too late and usually move on. In the mean time Aussie EBA F/O's are being sent to NZ to fill in for the F/O's that they can't hold on to. All the while being paid Aus EBA wages and DTA. To say that JQ HR don't have a clue is an understatement. If you don't want to live in NZ then don't take the NZ position.

empacher48
14th Jul 2017, 00:57
Just curious as to how many hours the Auckland based F/O's are doing a month?

Berlin Airlift
3rd Aug 2017, 09:53
Are they still looking for crew in Christchurch and what is the time to command there? Any ideas please

Ollie Onion
4th Aug 2017, 07:19
Yes they need FO's in CHC at the moment, the current crop of Command Trainees have around the 4 year service mark. If the operation ever manages to get fully crewed then I would think you could at least double that.

Brakerider
28th Aug 2017, 00:25
Any updates on recruitment to Aus positions? Heard the sims are fairly well booked for the rest of the year. Do they still need people?

Airbus A320321
28th Aug 2017, 06:07
The word on the line is that there are ground schools running for the rest of the year and that another 100 pilots will be hired next year. :ok:

donkey767
28th Aug 2017, 06:59
So it sounds like all the poor turboprop operators in Aus will continue to haemorrhage pilots for at least another year 😂

SHVC
28th Aug 2017, 08:07
100?! That's a lot considering they have been hiring for a solid year already, I wonder what is in the pipeline at JQ then.

A320 Flyer
28th Aug 2017, 13:54
The Aus bases are all still flying big numbers per annum and about 15-20 FOs currently at Jetstar Pacific in the LHS. A significant number of crew are heading to QF as well

Brakerider
28th Aug 2017, 21:09
Any ideas how many people are on the hold file still?

Who stole my meds
29th Aug 2017, 01:49
Any idea how many of those pilots that are being employed have multi crew time but only a Part 61 CPL with subjects?????

PoppaJo
29th Aug 2017, 05:33
They are targeting Tiger Airbus drivers before they convert to the Boeing fleet.

Berealgetreal
29th Aug 2017, 06:10
Indeed they are.

Rabbitwear
31st Aug 2017, 00:16
@ high_to_low; yes indeed I have the new Part 61 lic. Actually, the right to live/work in Oz is gonna be the problem unless Jetstar sponsors for the visa.
Please check your pm.

@pilotchute; I don't want to burst your bubbles, the MTOW of the Q400 is 29,574KG- heavier than u think & please stay calm in case i misinterpreted your msg!

You'll have to marry a Flight Attendant, ask at the interview, they may issue you 1 .

ZKSUJ
1st Sep 2017, 08:15
I noticed today the link for the FO on the airbus is no longer on the careers website. It was a few days ago. Any idea when it will be back up so people can apply?

Brakerider
19th Sep 2017, 03:39
Any updates from insiders as to recruitment for the rest of the year?

bobthebowler
19th Sep 2017, 10:36
I got a phone call out of the blue yesterday from Jetstar. The girl on the other end said she has my resume from 2016 in front of her and wanted to know how I've progressed since then, and that I could hopefully be ready to go to NZ as FO on the Dash 8's by now.

I told her I left the industry shortly after I sent that resume in and so my hours would be about the same. Then she said to keep the number she called me on because if I was interested to get back in the industry, she'd like to hear from me!

This went on for a couple more minutes and every time I said I was long gone she kept pressing the point to call her if I'm keen to come back. Must be desperate.

Sceva
25th Sep 2017, 00:00
I could hopefully be ready to go to NZ as FO on the Dash 8's by now.

Must be desperate.

They changed the job description recently and I emailed back the person I did my JQ phone interview with to see if I needed to reapply. She mentioned I should greatly consider NZ Q300 position with "Rapid Upgrade Opportunities" in the meantime...

Definitely desperate

Jee_Ray
25th Sep 2017, 06:48
Just got the email putting me on the hold file last week.
Any ideas how long the current wait is?
From previous posts it seems the average A320 FO salary is A$130k plus super, give or take? What are the kiwi FOs getting these days?
I have NZ as my preference but my Aussie missus may be changing her mind. Any help on comparison between NZ and Oz would be appreciated.
Cheers

empacher48
25th Sep 2017, 19:55
From previous posts it seems the average A320 FO salary is A$130k plus super, give or take? What are the kiwi FOs getting these days?

About NZ$100,000 base.

GA Driver
26th Sep 2017, 00:30
Be wary of any option to join the NZ operation with a 'leave with out pay opportunity' to get back to oz. I've seen people do this and then get stuck in NZ with very little real opportunity to get back.
Yes there have been a COUPLE of people do it but it's extremely unusual. In a nutshell, I wouldnt take an NZ position unless you want to remain in NZ.
Oz -->> NZ however seems to be no problem.

Cleared for take-off
26th Sep 2017, 13:27
GA Driver, can you expand a little on the 'leave without pay opportunity'? Is this in reference to moving to QFA and other operators?

Be wary of any option to join the NZ operation with a 'leave with out pay opportunity' to get back to oz. I've seen people do this and then get stuck in NZ with very little real opportunity to get back.
Yes there have been a COUPLE of people do it but it's extremely unusual. In a nutshell, I wouldnt take an NZ position unless you want to remain in NZ.
Oz -->> NZ however seems to be no problem.

GA Driver
26th Sep 2017, 21:35
Not so much QF, but JQ aus. Plenty of F/Os going to QF, but it isn't leave without pay, they will be resigning from JQ entirely.

I was referring to people being offered NZ positions that started immediately or could wait xx months for an Australian position. When they asked if they could transfer back to Australia if they were employed in NZ, they were told they could take LWOP from NZ and join the Australian operation when positions came up . This has never really happened. I know of 1 and it was compassionate grounds and don't think it was even LWOP.

Cleared for take-off
27th Sep 2017, 13:11
If that's not happening the other option is to resign, then go through the entire recruitment process for JQ Australia again?

ricbab
14th Oct 2017, 13:47
Hi guys,
Any suggestion about the online assessment for Jetstar, where to study and practice for those tests? are they that hard??

"Littlebird"
15th Oct 2017, 06:32
Any ideas how long the current wait is?

First things first...congrats on making the hold file Jee_Ray.
I met a couple of chaps recently in HKG for interviews that have been on active hold with Jetstar for an Oz position since Jan/Feb this year. Neither has had an update as to what the situation is atm even after contacting JQ.
2 out of the 3 have accepted a job here, so I guess 2 less on the list in front of you. All the best.
L.B

Jee_Ray
15th Oct 2017, 22:05
Thanks Littlebird.
The HR woman I was speaking with said said pretty much the same. Could be waiting a long time for an Oz position.
Decided to go with NZ and have been offered a job. Endorsement next month and start date beginning of Jan.
They made it clear that transferring to Oz would be difficult if not impossible so be sure of where you want to go. Seems to be more opportunity in NZ at the moment though.

Cessna Jockey
16th Oct 2017, 23:26
A320 sim spots are hard to come by at the moment, so long delay getting people in for the initial type rating

cwmh
17th Nov 2017, 04:13
Hey guys what are the wait times for most people from interview to starting?

65 new FO positions just advertised. Start early 18.

High_To_Low
18th Nov 2017, 02:23
22 MEL 787 FO slots and 18 commands....wow!!

Gulf23
4th Mar 2018, 06:17
Hi guys

Completed the final interview process with Jetstar in Melbourne mid Febuary. I was informed during the interview that I would be notified in the coming week.
To date have not received any feedback. Can anyone advise how long Jetstar take to confirm that you have passed the selection process, or do you think I have not meet the cut and they have not bothered to contact me.

Aviatrix91
4th Mar 2018, 20:33
Hi guys

Completed the final interview process with Jetstar in Melbourne mid Febuary. I was informed during the interview that I would be notified in the coming week.
To date have not received any feedback. Can anyone advise how long Jetstar take to confirm that you have passed the selection process, or do you think I have not meet the cut and they have not bothered to contact me.

They are usually really quick, it depends on when they have the scheduled meetings but normally anywhere from 1-4 weeks. If you haven't heard in another week or two, contact them. They are quiet receptive to communication.

Lookleft
4th Mar 2018, 22:20
Jetstar's recruitment processes are like the rest of the airline, in a constant state of chaos and always understaffed and under resourced. I would only worry if you have received notification that you are unsuccessful. I think Av91 must be a Jetstar angel otherwise she would know that whenever you ring a phone in Jetstar you are greeted with an answering machine and emails go unanswered. As for being quite receptive, tell that to the cadet who was called to HO at his own expense for "harassing" a certain person in power over a possible start date for the 320 endo.

Gulf23
8th Mar 2018, 08:25
Thank you for the reply Aviatrix91 / Lookleft. Hopefully a positive outcome in the next few weeks.

cLeArIcE
8th Mar 2018, 23:13
Any guys or girls here have any recent experience with how long the wait is on the hold file? (I assume a long one)
Where are JQ sending people for type rating these days?
Gulf I got asked to provide references about 2 weeks later which was consistent with how long they said it would take. Think it simply depends on when the next hiring meeting is scheduled. Hopefully its good for news for you!

Ollie Onion
9th Mar 2018, 05:26
They are now startin* in-house typeratings in Melbourne as of April.

GA Driver
9th Mar 2018, 12:17
They are now startin* in-house typeratings in Melbourne as of April.
Interesting! Have they announced who is going to do the training??
First it was the F/o's until it got ugly with the union, then put out training captains and it never got decided...

The Green Goblin
9th Mar 2018, 21:08
Not the first of April is it Ollie?

Ollie Onion
10th Mar 2018, 02:35
All as I know is that several new hires have their typeratings in-house booked in April. The type rating package is completed, has been used for a couple of proving runs and is ready to go live. As for who is doing the training...... who would know, we will find out when the roster is out I guess.

GA Driver
10th Mar 2018, 02:47
I think the inhouse runs were for command upgrades and will continue that way. A rumour floating around says HR has knocked the internal type rating on the head for new hires.

wes94
21st Mar 2018, 08:46
Hey all,

Just wanting to get some clarification on the skills assessment for the Jetstar Cadetship as I've just applied for the program.

From their website:

"The purpose of this assessment is to find out if you are right for a job with the airline: There are a number of elements that can make up the ADAPT Online package and you will be required to complete a selected combination of the following elements:

Maths
Physics
Aviation Knowledge
Cognitive skills
Coordination and Control
Technical aptitude
ADAPT Personality Questionnaire"

My question is: I have done no physics in high school whatsoever and its has been a few years since high school so my study knowledge isn't too crash hot either. 1) Do I need to go and cram 2 years worth of physics study into my brain? 2) Any advice from people who have done the testing on how to prepare/study?

Cheers!

Much appreciated :) :)

loulouteuh
22nd Mar 2018, 19:09
Hey all,

Just wanting to get some clarification on the skills assessment for the Jetstar Cadetship as I've just applied for the program.

From their website:

"The purpose of this assessment is to find out if you are right for a job with the airline: There are a number of elements that can make up the ADAPT Online package and you will be required to complete a selected combination of the following elements:

Maths
Physics
Aviation Knowledge
Cognitive skills
Coordination and Control
Technical aptitude
ADAPT Personality Questionnaire"

My question is: I have done no physics in high school whatsoever and its has been a few years since high school so my study knowledge isn't too crash hot either. 1) Do I need to go and cram 2 years worth of physics study into my brain? 2) Any advice from people who have done the testing on how to prepare/study?

Cheers!

Much appreciated :) :)

Interested in an answer too! Do you know what is their benchmark?
Anybody with recent experience on the interview too?
Thanks!
L.

pilotchute
22nd Mar 2018, 20:46
Interested in an answer too! Do you know what is their benchmark?
Anybody with recent experience on the interview too?
Thanks!
L.

You posted in another thread you are doing EASA licence conversion. What you quoted is the cadetship criteria. Are you wanting the cadetship of direct entry recruitment?

Dookie on Drums
24th Mar 2018, 07:06
So can anyone shed any sources to practice for the Swift aptitude tests for DEFO

I've googled a bit but nothing substantial turns up. Pinstripe pointed me to the Saville website but there's only a few practice questions there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Sceva
25th Mar 2018, 11:28
So can anyone shed any sources to practice for the Swift aptitude tests for DEFO

I've googled a bit but nothing substantial turns up. Pinstripe pointed me to the Saville website but there's only a few practice questions there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Dookie,
Did my testing earlier this month... It's not as hard as it seems, but still; practice practice practice!

Saville has some Prac exams available, as you have seen (timing and format are exactly the same).
Not much I can say about the written testing. It is what it is... Read the story, select "True, False, Can't tell" options, (don't fall into traps of assuming information is my main advice).

I paid a very minimal amount of $ for some more practice exams from Practice Aptitude Tests. They had a good mix and some were quite challenging. Do the SHL tests too. They're good for timing and difficulty for numerical.

I'd also recommend a Scientific Calculator for the numerical part, so you don't even have to write anything down and just power through.

The diagrammatic tests were different than I have seen previously;
Be prepared to work backwards to find the starting pattern!
They use letters or # * + type symbols to change the shape/size/colour of a given pattern, OR you have to figure out which symbols (and their order) that were used to change Pattern 1 to Pattern 2...

RTFQ and Practice Practice Practice!
Good luck!

Dookie on Drums
26th Mar 2018, 08:11
Many thanks Sceva.

DoD

levell
30th Mar 2018, 10:03
Hi guys,

completely new here, however I am reading these pages nearly half a year until now. I have a simple question about quite long-term decision.
I am flying regional turboprop (ATRs) in Europe and I am deeply interested in flying in NZ, either turboprop or jet, preferably.

How difficult is whole process of converting licences, going through airlines screening, going through immigration process.. in other words, is it worth it? I have the minimum req. except licences, obviously etc.
Is somebody here who has a similar experience - an european flying in NZ/Australia?

Thanks for replies ;-)

wes94
2nd Apr 2018, 13:01
- Private message me

Hey mate,

It's not letting me message your account, saying you've disabled PMing?

Email me? [email protected]

thisishomebrand
2nd Apr 2018, 15:12
- Private message me

I'd be interested in hearing about it too, looks like you haven't posted enough to unlock PMs yet.

wes94
6th Apr 2018, 05:22
Anyone know when we hear back about the cadet program? I applied a few weeks ago and not sure how long its meant to take?

Sceva
7th Apr 2018, 22:39
Hi guys,

completely new here, however I am reading these pages nearly half a year until now. I have a simple question about quite long-term decision.
I am flying regional turboprop (ATRs) in Europe and I am deeply interested in flying in NZ, either turboprop or jet, preferably.

How difficult is whole process of converting licences, going through airlines screening, going through immigration process.. in other words, is it worth it? I have the minimum req. except licences, obviously etc.
Is somebody here who has a similar experience - an european flying in NZ/Australia?

Thanks for replies ;-)

Not sure if this helps at all, but Jetstar were really pushing the NZ positions earlier during the recruitment process. Offering "Rapid command upgrades" on turboprops and also trying to fill A320 jet FO spots.
Drop them an email, they're quite ok to deal with and will give you some more info...

tbfka
21st Apr 2018, 00:50
Anyone know when we hear back about the cadet program? I applied a few weeks ago and not sure how long its meant to take?

Have you received a response yet?

thisishomebrand
21st Apr 2018, 20:28
I received a response on Wednesday. OAA emailed to say to book onto stage 1 assessment, ADAPT.

tbfka
22nd Apr 2018, 00:46
I received a response on Wednesday. CAA emailed to say to book onto stage 1 assessment, ADAPT.

That makes two of us. Seems like there isn't much info available about the adapt testing and what sort of questions can be expected.

thisishomebrand
22nd Apr 2018, 13:23
That makes two of us. Seems like there isn't much info available about the adapt testing and what sort of questions can be expected.

Yeah info seems hard to come by but I think I will use https://pilotaptitudetest.com/knowledgebase/adapt/ for practice.

wes94
23rd Apr 2018, 22:56
Yeah, I’m all booked in as well. I don’t suppose anyone knows what ‘physics’ will be involved? Never did physics in high school and not sure how or even what I should be expecting....

Superawsome
4th May 2018, 09:33
Has anyone heard back from a recent interview??

Daylight Robbery
4th May 2018, 19:30
Never did physics in high school and not sure how or even what I should be expecting....

And you wanted to be a pilot? Is this a millennial thing?
I don't wish to play the man and not the ball, but physics has got to be the lead contender for anyone serious about flying at high school. Bit more relevance than film studies....

Airbus A320321
4th May 2018, 22:40
I don't wish to play the man and not the ball, but physics has got to be the lead contender for anyone serious about flying at high school. Bit more relevance than film studies....

From when I did the testing the physics questions were very limited and basic. Physics in high school isn’t a prerequisite for the course. Daylight, don’t have a go at a bloke for asking a question. I didn’t study physics in high school and I’m a pilot for Jetstar. It isn’t necessary, the basic aerodynamics that you need to know are a part of the PPL, CPL and ATPL studies.

mattyj
5th May 2018, 11:28
I agree with Daylight..geez, how do you get through high school without any physics?? It’s a core subject isn’t it!?

Should be

The Green Goblin
5th May 2018, 12:56
Unless you can solve E=MC^2 and find Hawkings ‘a brief history of time’ an easy and interesting read. You shouldn’t be a Pilot.

If if you can do those things, you probably can’t fly an aeroplane very well or drive a car for that matter.

Or you worked for Ansett :P

Seriously it’s a practical job with a lot of responsibility. Do maths English and science and you should be fine.

romeocharlie
5th May 2018, 13:01

I disagree. Currently occupying the left-seat of a wide-body, I can honestly say at no stage in my career have I used any of the physics I learned at school and personally think it was a total waste of my time. They didn't offer 'aviation' as a subject when I was there, but apparently do now? Perhaps that would be more relevant these days with most airlines dropping the subject requirements.

Who stole my meds
5th May 2018, 14:04

Distance, Speed & Time. If you know any of those two you can work out the third. That's all of the physics I needed when I did my three ATPL's.

GA Driver
5th May 2018, 22:11
3 x tables should really do you in this industry. We don’t need to work out anything else and even then the cta steps bugger up that :ugh:

wheels_down
7th May 2018, 04:45
Essentially because they don’t want people from GA, less applications to sort through.

I don’t think much as changed but they want rpt prop drivers, namely those at Rex. The thing is, Emirates are now targeting those exact pilots after dropping minimums. A320 or shiny big 777?....They were not interested in those with time on type or overseas experience. It’s not uncommon, Tiger used to have a thing about only hiring those from Dragon. Things are a little different now there though.

Airbus A320321
7th May 2018, 05:15
A320 based in Australia with the prospect of flying the B787 in 3-5 years or 777 based in the Middle East with no prospect of getting home. I think 90% of guys will go for the first option.

Titan Slave
7th May 2018, 05:33
A320 based in Australia with the prospect of flying the B787 in 3-5 years or 777 based in the Middle East with no prospect of getting home. I think 90% of guys will go for the first option.

From the above sounds like you're a cadet since you did the "Phsyics Test" and have absolutely no idea what guys want, and neither do I quite frankly because everyone is different, and has different goals. My colleagues in GA ranged from 21 years of age to 40 years of age.
Some actually want a command before they retire and some have young families and need that job over there for financial reasons instead of getting paid peanuts for 4 years to work 12 hours day.
Probably need to check yourself before you go quoting bs statistics.

Airbus A320321
7th May 2018, 10:12
From the above sounds like you're a cadet since you did the "Phsyics Test" and have absolutely no idea what guys want, and neither do I quite frankly because everyone is different, and has different goals. My colleagues in GA ranged from 21 years of age to 40 years of age.
Some actually want a command before they retire and some have young families and need that job over there for financial reasons instead of getting paid peanuts for 4 years to work 12 hours day.
Probably need to check yourself before you go quoting bs statistics.

Yes I did my initial training as cadet, but not sure what that has to do with anything as I have friends in all parts of the industry in all parts of the world.

Secondly, I said ‘I think’ 90% of people would choose the A320 job over a Middle East 777 job. It’s an opinion, not a statistic. I was only rebutting wheels_down’s opinion. So no, I won’t be ‘checking’ myself. I couldn’t care less why guys go overseas. All the old Ansett boys that I fly with only went over because of the collapse and are glad to be home.

Flying domestic jets is hardly for ‘peanuts.’ Most narrow body F/Os here at the star are making 160-180k.

It sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder and that you are either stuck in GA or stuck overseas. You should chill out a bit.

Titan Slave
7th May 2018, 14:00
Yes I did my initial training as cadet, but not sure what that has to do with anything as I have friends in all parts of the industry in all parts of the world.

Secondly, I said ‘I think’ 90% of people would choose the A320 job over a Middle East 777 job. It’s an opinion, not a statistic. I was only rebutting wheels_down’s opinion. So no, I won’t be ‘checking’ myself. I couldn’t care less why guys go overseas. All the old Ansett boys that I fly with only went over because of the collapse and are glad to be home.

Flying domestic jets is hardly for ‘peanuts.’ Most narrow body F/Os here at the star are making 160-180k.

It sounds like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder and that you are either stuck in GA or stuck overseas. You should chill out a bit.

No I don’t work in GA or overseas but if I had to sit next to you for a long shift I might have to rethink that after that effort.

MajorLemond
8th May 2018, 08:20
You’d be be at max overtime (on level 3 pay - which is after 5 years of service) mixed up with a crapload of day-off payments to make 180k on the 320. 150k is more likely in a really busy year (speaking from experience)

New joiners now will be waiting a LONG time to get on a 787, if ever. - not to be negative, but realistic given the number of aircraft jq operate.

Having said that I would highly recommend it as a career choice. Great place to work, great people (for the most part) and the flying is varied and good fun.

das Uber Soldat
9th May 2018, 01:53
You’d be be at max overtime (on level 3 pay - which is after 5 years of service) mixed up with a crapload of day-off payments to make 180k on the 320. 150k is more likely in a really busy year (speaking from experience)

New joiners now will be waiting a LONG time to get on a 787, if ever. - not to be negative, but realistic given the number of aircraft jq operate.

Having said that I would highly recommend it as a career choice. Great place to work, great people (for the most part) and the flying is varied and good fun.

You must be at a cruisey base because I did more than that this year on level 1 pay and I do SFA WDO's. Most level 3 MEL fo's are sitting on around 200 gross each year.

Superawsome
9th May 2018, 04:44
Has anyone from hold file heard anything???

SHVC
10th May 2018, 07:49
How long is a command at JQ these days? I have been hearing 10+ yrs, that's a long time to sit as an FO at a low cost carrier.

Aviatrix91
10th May 2018, 08:09
How long is a command at JQ these days? I have been hearing 10+ yrs, that's a long time to sit as an FO at a low cost carrier.

Its 9-10 at the moment not +

Not a bad place to be, East Coast jet gig in Oz with great crews and reasonable pay

waren9
11th May 2018, 02:21
down to about 5 at air un zud they reckon atm....

SHVC
11th May 2018, 07:28
Its 9-10 at the moment not +

Not a bad place to be, East Coast jet gig in Oz with great crews and reasonable pay

Not sure what that last sentence was about, I'm sure JQ would be O.K to work at. 9-10 seems like a long time at a low cost, guess all the rumors about JQ must not be entirely true, being such a horrible place to work and all.

PoppaJo
11th May 2018, 07:59
Garbage.

I never went past Year 10, never touched physics, dropped out of High School, so I probably shouldn’t be flying then. Problem is I’ve got over 20k in Airbus time.

Whilst I encourage all students to give 110%, Astronaut Maths and Science subjects are not pre requirements to fly big twins.

If you want 1-2 year commands go to Vietnam low costs. Orange Star in particular could offer transfer back to home base at some stage.

Toga Toga Toga
11th May 2018, 23:10
Education is a bit like experience - you wont understand the benefits until you have it.

There wont be an easy transfer to JQ Mainline from Vietnam either, you will have to go through the recruitment process again and start at the bottom on the Australian list.

Konyagi
12th May 2018, 03:10
Do many take LWOP from Oz to chase a quick command in Jetstar Vietnam/Japan? Is it a practical option?

Toga Toga Toga
12th May 2018, 08:48
Do many take LWOP from Oz to chase a quick command in Jetstar Vietnam/Japan? Is it a practical option?

A lot of guys have taken the oppurtunity to head across, although I haven't seen it advertised for a while. Its not really a 'quick' option though, you have to meet the company minimums for command which would take most guys around 3 years of A320/1 flying to do if joining from GA/Regionals (can't recall the specific requirements off my head, the figure is what I came up with when looking at it a while ago).

That said, its a great option for guys without family commitments etc who are after an adventure - I haven't heard anyone regret doing it. Being able to choose between a Vietnam 320 command, Japan 320 FO, or B787 FO from around 4 years in is pretty great career path for those looking at joining JQ.

Superawsome
14th May 2018, 07:37
Has anyone from hold file heard anything yet?? Losing hope here:(

The Green Goblin
14th May 2018, 08:08
I wouldn’t worry too much.

There is a regional shortage of A320 training capacity. So they are struggling to slot in training for new hires, plus upgrades. Plus the cyclic program.

You’re ranked on the hold file depending on your background. The ideal candidate is a Rex Captain. The acceptable candidate meets the mins. If the ideal candidate joins the hold. They will jump you for a start date. When the ideal candidates run out. They will start the acceptable candidate.

From what I’m hearing they can’t get enough or ‘any’ ideal candidates. There’s not enough to go around. So they are taking regional FOs. Single pilot multi engine guys and girls etc.

mattyj
17th May 2018, 00:02
So I was having a ‘chat’ with someone at Melbourne and got told that if I was to continue in the process I would need to discontinue any other applications with the greater Qantas group. Is this typical? I’ve had interest from a couple of my applications. I’m not even sure I want to leave my current job. Is this what everyone else had to do?

Aviatrix91
19th May 2018, 11:34
Why is it so difficult for JQ pilots who go overseas like Japan, Vietnam or NZ to come back after they have a bit more experience? A JQ recruiter said its always difficult to come back if you choose one of those overseas positions. Sounds like every airline in Aus is desperate for pilots at the moment anyway

Its difficult because essentially they are completely separate companies with separate seniority lists so if you left to go to one of those companies you have to resign from Aus. Coming back you would be starting from scratch with everyone else at the bottom of the seniority list again. Yes in the past LWOP has been on offer but it’s not the normal

GA Driver
19th May 2018, 14:12
Why is it so difficult for JQ pilots who go overseas like Japan, Vietnam or NZ to come back after they have a bit more experience? A JQ recruiter said its always difficult to come back if you choose one of those overseas positions. Sounds like every airline in Aus is desperate for pilots at the moment anyway

It does depend on HOW you go to those entities.
If you joined jq pacific/Asian/nz directly then there is no pathway back to aus AT ALL as the previous poster has pointed out. However if you took a jq aus position and then took leave without pay to one of the entities your base and rank you held in aus remains until you return.

PoppaJo
20th May 2018, 01:01
Depends how senior you get. Not many hang around 10+ years in Vietnam, if you are there that long with Management aspirations then that’s your opportunity to get back south. You need connections with executives.

Its been done before. I’ve done something similar before. Depends if you want leadership positions really.

Toga Toga Toga
20th May 2018, 05:07
Depends how senior you get. Not many hang around 10+ years in Vietnam, if you are there that long with Management aspirations then that’s your opportunity to get back south. You need connections with executives.

Its been done before. I’ve done something similar before. Depends if you want leadership positions really.

Problem with this is a management postion awarded out of seniority can only be awarded for a fixed term, then you take whatever postion your seniority allows - per the EBA.

So 3 years later (or a management shuffle, new CP etc) and your back to an A320 FO with 3 years seniority.

The unions have recently taken this up with the company as a number of senior guys have had fixed term B787 introduction roles expire and don't want to return to lower seniority positions on the A320 fleet.

This is all probably beyond the scope of this thread, but if you want a postion on the Aus seniority list take a job in Australia - then move around the group as you desire. There is no real back door into JQ Aus anymore.

notthisguy1
30th May 2018, 09:39
I have been on the hold for a little while and nothing has come through unfortunately. Anyone know the average wait times for a non Rex employee?

wheels_down
30th May 2018, 11:44
What is with all this facination with Rex? I assume a large chunk of senior Jetstar Management pilots are all ex Rex or something?

Mabye try and get a job on the Saab. Guaranteed job then awaiting on the bus!

GA Driver
30th May 2018, 18:32
There’s no fascination with Rex per se, they just happen to demolish most of the ADL base and then some. I think it was just a lot of peeps on the hold file that all got the go ahead. Can’t be too many left at Rex!

Superawsome
30th May 2018, 20:46
I have been on the hold for a little while and nothing has come through unfortunately. Anyone know the average wait times for a non Rex employee?

how long have you been on hold file if you dont mind me asking

Sykes
30th May 2018, 22:57
What is with all this facination with Rex? I assume a large chunk of senior Jetstar Management pilots are all ex Rex or something?

Nothing to do with management. More to do with the fact that Rex pilots can go straight to J*. Qlink pilots are only released to J* or mainline at the rate of one or two per month, if that. So if J* want turboprop pilots Rex has the largest pool available.

If you want to join Mainline or J*, join Rex instead of Qlink. You'll get there quicker.

Superawsome
30th May 2018, 23:10
Nothing to do with management. More to do with the fact that Rex pilots can go straight to J*. Qlink pilots are only released to J* or mainline at the rate of one or two per month, if that. So if J* want turboprop pilots Rex has the largest pool available.

If you want to join Mainline or J*, join Rex instead of Qlink. You'll get there quicker.

so guys that are on hold file and not with rex have no chance????

Willie Nelson
30th May 2018, 23:12
At Jetstar, we do hire a lot of Rex pilots and perhaps to a lesser degree many Qlink pilots. There are pathways to transfer (I use the term loosely) within the group but if you're going to bother doing this, particularly right now, you're better placed to aim for mainline than Jetstar. I say this as a Jetstar captain, not because Jetstar is not a great place to work, I can assure all those interested that it is, nevertheless, Qantas currently is a much better prospect for those aspiring to get in the left seat one day.

Nobody has a crystal ball but the average age of a captain at Jetstar versus the average age of a captain at mainline might be a difference of perhaps ten years. In addition to that, the pay at least little better on the narrow body fleet and appreciably better on other aircraft. Qantas simply has more options for those that get bored, albeit Jetstar has more narrow body base options.

If you do end up in Jetstar, have no fear at all, life will be very good however my guess is that a move to the left seat of a narrow body will be approaching fifteen years by the time the music stops, even if Qantas does no further expansion, by sheer weight of impending retirements, there is likely to be many more commands coming up over the same period of time.

Good luck either way.

The Green Goblin
31st May 2018, 02:10
The pilots that joined JQ around the ‘14-15 era are in the sweet spot. 3.5 years to the wide body. The 10-13 joiners needed 4-6 years.

The ‘09-10 joiners are getting SYD/MEL commands now. The late 08-09ers waited 9 years, the 06-08ers waited 4.

Interestingly a SYD widebody FO is pretty much as senior as a SYD captain. I must say, I’d stay on the widebody too.

The 10-12 joiners will need 8-10 years to command. The 13-15ers probably 6-8 years and then after that. Good luck! It’ll blow out to 12+

As has been mentioned above, QF would be the best option salary wise, base and fleet right now in Australia.

The attraction to JQ was a fast left seat and a 250K+ job. You’d earn far more money now at QF before command and have lots of lifestyle options.

chickoroll
31st May 2018, 03:57
Anyone joining JQ in the recent intake which started 2016 expect to wait well over 15 yrs for a 320 command. As above average age in JQ is early 40s and now they have approval to conduct ATPL flight testing all the cadets will get thier commands in the next 5+ And those kids are mid to early 20s. Wide body for new joiners could be around 10+ in ML even longer for SY or other bases.

My my advice would be apply to QF try that avenue first at least you will have a career there, if not successful try VA new joiners most likely go to ATR but you can transfer and fly other AC with in the company as JQ will be just 320 for the foreseeable future.

wheels_down
31st May 2018, 05:12
The question remains will FOs hang around and wait, there is potential to get caught out with lack of FOs in future years. Young 20 something’s waiting 15 years for a command, highly unlikely when Emirates will give them a 777 seat with many promises of upgrades et al.

15 years for a command, in 15-20 odd years effectively the current captain pilot body at Jetstar will be on the way out. That’s the point the industry is going to crash as the current generation (20s) are not learning to fly. GA is dead and flying schools are going under all over the country. The solution, and I’ve seen carriers get caught out here, is hiring more cadets. But they couldn’t upgrade them fast enough to stem the retirements and cancelled flights.

chickoroll
31st May 2018, 06:24
Well, I’m definitely not hanging around at a low cost carrier as an FO for the next 15+ yrs I’ve already done 3 and I can see no career progression now so I’m currently looking abroad.

The Green Goblin
31st May 2018, 09:59
If you’re desperate for a command or a big bird then so be it.

However most FOs that have been around a while are netting 9k plus a month and have their base of choice and a reasonable lifestyle.

Once the rostering and PBS are sorted and the annual leave peak slots are realistic, it’ll be a good place to be.

Lets also face it, a WB FO in the sandpit doesn’t earn a great deal more and there is a huge trade off for the privilege of flying something big. If you’re single it’ll be a great gig, until you’re married.

China - have a read of some of the experiences of guys there. It’s a 3 year cash grab before you shoot yourself and get the heck out of there. Then you’ll be kicking yourself for a career at the star when the cash runs out.

There’s no garden of aviation eden out there. There’s just varying amounts of **** in the sandwich.

Get a hobby, get married. Have some kids and buy a boat.

Toga Toga Toga
31st May 2018, 22:25
Well, I’m definitely not hanging around at a low cost carrier as an FO for the next 15+ yrs I’ve already done 3 and I can see no career progression now so I’m currently looking abroad.

I don't understand, if your 3 years into JQ already you won't have to wait 15 for a command (maybe 5-7), and your only 18 months or so away from a 787 FO slot - so what are you trying to achieve?

Di_Vosh
31st May 2018, 23:20
so what are you trying to achieve?

Something else, perhaps? There's a lot of aviation outside Australia.

A mate of mine joined Jetstar in 2008. In 2014 his command vacancy was coming up, but was pushed back a few years by the MOU guys. So he and a few others left for Emirates. Less than four years later he's been checked to line as an A380 Captain.

This pathway isn't for everyone, but for those who're willing to leave Australia there are opportunities that aren't necessarily available to those who remain.

Some people want job security in their own country; others want job opportunities overseas. We're lucky to be in a period where these opportunities exist, and that people are taking them.

DIVOSH!

Jetsbest
1st Jun 2018, 07:59
pushed back a few years by the MOU guys
Is it possible that said individual misread the contract &/or seniority list and came to an erroneous conclusion about when “his” command vacancy was coming up? If subsequent choices worked for him that’s great; market forces in action!👍

Di_Vosh
1st Jun 2018, 22:28
Yournamehere :ok:

Correct! My post was in response to 3xToga, giving an example of a J* pilot who felt frustrated in his current position and decided to go overseas. There are some great opportunities out there, and the result for him was a good one!

But it looks like I managed to trigger a Qantas pilot (unintentionally, btw), so an added bonus, I guess! :}

DIVOSH!

Toga Toga Toga
2nd Jun 2018, 03:27
I think you misunderstood my point Divosh, I was replying to someone who stated they were considering leaving JQ because they couldn't see a chance for progression - my point was if your not satisfied with a WB FO gig after 3.5 years, and command after 8...what would satisfy you?

Fair statement, perhaps going overseas is the best option for him/her for faster progression if thats their overiding desire - I still think its abit ridiculous to consider progression at JQ slow.

Glad your mates happy, I know of few in the ME who are at the moment. Anyway, back on topic...