PDA

View Full Version : RA callout on 744

flch10000
26th Jun 2002, 17:52
Are BA the only -400 operator that have the automated 2500' RA callout?

Does this extend to the entire BA Boeing EFIS fleet?

toodly doo

Dan Winterland
26th Jun 2002, 20:45
VS 744s have it.

flch10000
28th Jun 2002, 15:01
personally I think its an excellent option to enable. might seem trivial to many but definitely enhances situational awareness on finals... I don't think many operators enable it (in the Sim configs I have flown - very few..)

QAVION
28th Jun 2002, 23:20
"This just involves grounding out certain pins on the back of the avionic shelf. It takes about an hour to do, quite simple in fact. "

You may find that some callouts cannot be simply pin-programmed. I've heard some callouts in different accents. BA's 744's used to have "Radio Altimeter" voiced at 2,500' in a very "British" female accent. If I recall correctly, Cathay had a rather unique 60' callout (which may have been critical during those old Kai Tek(Tak) approaches) which had a slight Chinese accent. Some EGPWS announcements sound as if they are spoken by a New Zealander (EGPWS systems, of course, require quite a bit of hardware/software modification).

Regards.
Q.

expedite_climb
29th Jun 2002, 11:09
So as your rad alt bounces off the a/c below you in the cruise, and now goes to 1000 as we have rvsm, do you get a audio call in the flt deck ?

Frank M
29th Jun 2002, 14:50
Flat Spin,

That must be right, otherwise you'd also get the callouts during initial climb....

NigelOnDraft
30th Jun 2002, 06:57
Flat Spin...

It is not dependant on config as far as I know... which since one of the "functions" of the call out would be to alert you to advancing ground, a bit silly if imhibited because you forgot to configure, or were simply below MSA and descending unaware. Certainly not gear dependant, because unlikely to be down at this point.

It provides a good check that you have the correct QNH set, when relating it to airfield elevation, often in advance of any fix glidepath checks - although adjustment needs to be allowed for if terrain fluctautates between this ~8NM point and the af. Our SOPs actually require a verbal confirmation that the callout is at a sensible point when related to the servo alts.

There must be some software (as in the GPWS) to avoid nuisance calls for aircraft in the hold etc. - I frequently see the RAlt read here, but can't recall hearing the voice.

NoD

Brenoch
4th Jul 2002, 22:25
Its just a question of "pin"-ing the boxes downstairs..
Have your engineer remove/install it as you desire..

Brenoch
4th Jul 2002, 22:27
In the future, I promise to read the other replies before replying myself.. :D :D