PDA

View Full Version : Business Plane

BFGH
23rd Mar 2016, 08:34
Im interested in purchasing a small business plane for my company, and basing it in Vietnam. The goal is to make short trips within Vietnam, also to Thailand, Singapore, Philippines, Hong Kong, China ect, with limited amount of passengers.

The plane that I've somewhat zeroed in on is a used Piper Seneca V.

Can anyone give me more of an expert opinion if this plane would work? Alternatively if anyone has a different plane they think would work better I would be grateful to hear.

My experience with planes is solely as a passenger in private travel, more so with light jets.

foxmoth
23rd Mar 2016, 10:27
Up to 5 pax (plus pilot) with limited baggage it could be OK, you need to consider the weather in this region though as to how practical it would be.

tom775257
23rd Mar 2016, 10:57
Fit a Honeywell RDR 2000 weather radar if you go down this path (I think this would fit although would need some other avionics to interface?). I wouldn't want to fly around this area without a radar IFR/IMC. I would probably want oxygen also to get above the weather a bit.

Make sure the pilot is experienced and competent, don't just go for the cheapest. It isn't the kind of flying suited for an enthusiastic amateur.

With regards to range etc I am sure you can work that out.

Pace
23rd Mar 2016, 12:16
I have around 3000 hours in Seneca Fives all over Europe, over the Alps and over Scotland and Ireland and viewed them as a mini Kingair90B

lIke any aircraft there are plus and minus points. They are excellent at dealing with weather and you have an efficient built in oxygen system where you can quickly climb to the high teens or low 20s and get a TAS of over 200 KTS
Engine out over high terrain they are one of the very few that will maintain 16500 feet on one engine and are great short field aircraft with low fuel consumption
They have safe pedestrian handling qualities and the aircraft is a tried and tested design still built with quick availability of parts cheap compared to Barons
Down side is limited range and LEGAL carrying capacity

I love them as a trusted friend but I know many will disagree
Like with any aircraft choice you need to work out a mission profile! How many people will you carry on a typical mission not once a year? What are your normal mission lengths again not once a year. If one leg is more than the range can you fit in a quick refuel stop? and go from there. consider fuel availability and cost too as you may also consider a cheap turbine like one of the piper Cheyenne family which are cheap and cheerful but getting long in the tooth or even an older KingAir 90 if you want pressurised comfort and carrying capacity with good parts availability

Pace

sycamore
23rd Mar 2016, 13:34
Might have to consider `Avgas` availability,or consider a turbine...

Jan Olieslagers
23rd Mar 2016, 14:02
Have you any estimation of the number of hours you will be flying annually?
Depending on the answer, and the already mentioned issue of fuel availability, a single turboprop might be more attractive than the current twin piston option.

Pace
23rd Mar 2016, 14:14
Have you any estimation of the number of hours you will be flying annually?
Depending on the answer, and the already mentioned issue of fuel availability, a single turboprop might be more attractive than the current twin piston option.

If his budget is older Seneca Five maybe $400K max what single turbine can you buy sub $500K maybe a Piper turbine conversion ? certainly not a TBM .

My experience with planes is solely as a passenger in private travel, more so with light jets.

If your budget is up to a $million you might pick up an older CJ1 jet. It will hold its value is easy on parts, economical and can be operated by one pilot

Pace

Jan Olieslagers
23rd Mar 2016, 14:22
Pace, you certainly are better placed than myself in this discussion. Still, I am afraid the T/S is not, or insufficiently, considering running cost, looking only at initial budget.

Pace
23rd Mar 2016, 17:29
Meldex

That's a twin turbine not single! The engine times left Will very much determine the price

Pace