PDA

View Full Version : US Regional Headhunting

Pages : 1 2 [3]

JPJP
16th Jan 2019, 21:17
We're seeing a lot of these ads in Australia- but, correct me if I'm wrong, the "66,100 in your first year" is inclusive of a sign-on bonus of 22k- so your SECOND year earnings are more like 44k?

Still not great money!!

They seem to have a quarterly override that would add $10K a year. Second year would be $50K ($70K Aus dollars). The second year is only reasonable if upgrade time is a year (ish). Then the second year becomes $75K ($105K Aus dollars).

The issue that’s specific to Expressjet is the upgrade time. Their APC page shows a long upgrade time, and they’ve been stagnant/imploding for a while. That creates a money and turbine PIC trap.

bafanguy
24th Jan 2019, 15:47
Recent article about the "shortage". A couple of interesting graphs in it at least:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-aviation-shortage-insight/u-s-airlines-tap-army-helicopter-pilots-to-ease-shortage-idUSKCN1PH0CO

bafanguy
24th Jan 2019, 22:55
Contour Airlines, a Part 135 ERJ-135 operator, appears to be hiring. I don't know anything about them:

“In total, the company expects over 100 new jobs, including approximately 50 pilot positions, to be created as its new aircraft enter service. “

https://www.aviationpros.com/news/12440996/contour-airlines-continues-rapid-growth-with-fleet-expansion

Pilot jobs posted here but no date on the listings so I don't know how current they are:

https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs?clientkey=4E8FCB0F31AC88147F0DB7B85238B354&jpt=d4fb31d2cfea122a7ac8590f5d435504 (https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs?clientkey=4E8FCB0F31AC88147F0DB7B85238B354&jpt=d4fb31d2 cfea122a7ac8590f5d435504)

ivannafly
12th Feb 2019, 20:19
Hello All
I'm thinking of applying with Trans States (TSA)
Anyone who workd there please PM me
Thanks

zondaracer
13th Feb 2019, 02:29
@ivannafly, I don't think you have enough messages to receive a private message. Either that or your inbox is full.

ivannafly
13th Feb 2019, 02:36
Sorry for some reason i can only send/receive one message.
I just sent you a PM.
Thanks
===========================
You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.

bafanguy
5th Mar 2019, 11:02
Delta trolls colleges for pilot candidates. Regionals are part of the process:

Delta loves UND ? and it shows ? UND Today (http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/2018/08/delta-loves-und-and-it-shows/)

manthan
24th Mar 2019, 15:27
The falsehoods about airlines not sponsoring work visas are amusing, because I want to give the reality. I am working for a US regional right now, and they sponsored my H1B work visa. A pilot DOES qualify for a H1B under the technicalities of immigration law. The only key is if a company wants to. If anyone wants to know more about my situation, PM me.

I have indian citizenship I have done my Btech in mechanical engineering from India. However, I have few questions regarding the course and future opportunities. Can you please answer them?

1. Can I work in Canada if I am doing CPL from USA after the training is complete?
(Do I get a work permit VISA to work as a pilot in Canada after the completion of the course? )
Is there any period restriction on work VISA?
Do I have to have secured a job before getting the work permit?

2. How much time does it take to finally be able to work as a pilot and earn? How much time does the training take?

3. What is the average salary in Canada?
4. If I am allowed to work as pilot in Canada, can I work just after my CPL or do I have to complete Type Rating?

5. Am I allowed to have a part time job to manage expenses during the training?

6. What is the fee structure for CPL and further Type Rating?

I thank you for your time and for answering my questions.

pilotchute
24th Mar 2019, 20:32
Manthan,
Your questions have been answered multiple times in other threads. Nobody is going to give you the answers becasue everyweek somebody new comes in and asks exactly the same thing. You need to do your own research.
As for the H1B, If you can find an employer who will hire you on that visa thats great but its not common. I would say its very rare.

Professional Amateur
30th Mar 2019, 12:47
bafanguy ....a quote from the article you posted...... 'Over the next decade, around half of Delta’s current pilot workforce will reach the age of mandatory retirement, says Brent Knoblauch, 717 first officer and pilot outreach manager for Delta’s campus programs'

I keep hearing the same quote again and again. First heard it in late 2016 then lots in 2017 and 18. What I find interesting is that people keep saying 'decade' instead of quoting the origional data point correctly (that boeing report) which actually meant by 2027 (?) half of the workforce will retire.

My point is its not the next decade anymore..... Its in the next 7.5 years!

bafanguy
30th Mar 2019, 13:17

PA,

Hard to tell what their frame of reference is. Perhaps they're just rounding it off for purposes of discussion ? I'll PM you.

A Squared
31st Mar 2019, 04:06

Neither is it true that half of the *current* pilot workforce will retire in the next 7.5 years. 2.5 years of retirements have already occurred and been replaced (plus some) in the *current* workforce, and there's only 7.5 years worth or retirements remaining. Really we don't know exactly what is true without completely redoing the analysis, but I'd bet that for the *current* pilot workforce "half retiring in the next decade" is more nearly accurate than "Half will retire in the next 7.5 years.

Power
2nd Apr 2019, 06:56
hows that time to command going over there ?

bafanguy
2nd Apr 2019, 07:49
Hey guys. Im on here trying to grab a few pilots to join our team at Expressjet. Im sure you have read all the great things going on at XJT. I can promise there is more and better to come... Soon.. Im a current employee of 3 years... Started on the E3 myself... If you have any questions please pm me. I will also be in AU to meet some potential pilots, starting in Melbourne and Sydney. Having said that, I can only speak for my company... All regionals offering the E3 have their own requirements and processes. Regardless of which regional you choose, The regional world is evolving, these opportunities arent forever so make the most of it and choose wisely. Our ad can now be found on AFAP. Look foward to speaking with some of you.

XJTE3,

Since you're an E3 yourself, XJT must've hired from that pool in the past. How many E3s have joined prior to your current hiring effort ? I don't recall seeing a previous public admission that XJT was accepting E3s. It's always possible I've missed or forgotten something. ;)

https://www.afap.org.au/pilot-jobs/pilot-job/3229/Opportunity%20Awaits%20with%20ExpressJets%20E-3%20Visa%20Program

Brakerider
3rd Apr 2019, 08:44
Im not sure if i responded already. PPrune is not my cup of tea. I believe i was the 1st and only for a while. Its only after recent changes in ownership that we are able to bring back the E3

thanks for your help XJT. Can’t reply to your PM as your inbox is full, but appreciate your assistance.

bafanguy
8th Apr 2019, 20:51
Im on here trying to grab a few pilots to join our team at Expressjet. If you have any questions please pm me.

I will also be in AU to meet some potential pilots, starting in Melbourne and Sydney.

XJTE3,

It's interesting you're actually going to Australia looking for candidates.

How do you go about lining up people to talk to in Australia ? They just PM you and arrange a meeting...group...individual ?

bafanguy
9th Apr 2019, 19:29
Found this about ExpressJet on another forum. If these numbers are accurate, they've got their work cut out for them. Seems the big exodus they had when Delta cancelled the ASA contract is still happening ? :

" Have not seen a month where the net number of pilots has increased from the month prior."

Xjt pilot count
6/1 - 1865
7/1 - 1824
8/1 - 1769
9/1 - 1687
10/1 - 1642
11/1 - 1597
12/1 - 1541
1/1/2019 - 1502
2/1/19 - 1470
3/1/19 - 1458
4/1/19 -1448
Today - 1444

Brakerider
9th Apr 2019, 22:02
Are Republic/ other airlines doing the E-3 Visa pilot hiring?

pilotchute
9th Apr 2019, 23:43
Republic dont do E3. TSA, Commutair and a few others do.

Ralphi
10th Apr 2019, 02:30
PDT = Piedmont, home of about a dozen Ocker Piedmonster pilots do the E3 thing. I’ll split referral ($5000) as am one of them. PM for more,, cheers Ralphi

bafanguy
11th Apr 2019, 19:52
Im not sure if i responded already. PPrune is not my cup of tea.

Well, it is occasionally useful, right ? Just have to separate the wheat from the chaff.

You offered a very useful bit of info about XJT. :ok:

Your countrymen will appreciate being kept informed about another regional opportunity.

bafanguy
23rd Apr 2019, 08:10
Kind of interesting. Haven't seen the fine print but it looks a bit different from the norm:

Ravn Air, UAA Announce Paid Internship Program For Alaskan Pilots | Aero-News Network (http://www.aero-news.net/annticker.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=04b7faed-a44c-4017-9a4c-a4cb2c1d9f36)

bafanguy
23rd Apr 2019, 19:17
ExpressJet announces a new rotor-transition program:

https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/04/23/expressjet-airlines-a-united-express-carrier-introduces-flexible-option-rotor-transition-program/ (https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/04/23/expressjet-airlines-a-united-express-carrier-introduces-flexible-option-rotor-transition-program/)

https://www.expressjet.com/careers/pilots/rotor?utm_source=rtp&utm_campaign=rotor&utm_medium=rtp

zondaracer
1st May 2019, 00:06
L3 Airline Academy is offering scholarships now to females, in parternship and partly funded by SkyWest Airlines.
https://www.l3commercialaviation.com/airline-academy/faa-pilot-training/faa-funding-and-finance/scholarships/l3-pilot-pathways-women-aviators-scholarship/

At L3, we are committed to creating a more inclusive and diverse future on the flight deck. L3 Commercial Aviation’s Airline Academy has joined forces with SkyWest Airlines to enhance its L3 Pilot Pathways Women Aviators Scholarship. SkyWest will offer an additional $25,000 of funding, increasing the scholarship offer up to $50,000 for one successful applicant.

The Women Aviator selected for this scholarship will be accepted into the SkyWest Pilot Pathway Program (http://www.l3commercialaviation.com/skywest) and the $50,000 scholarship will go towards the training costs of L3’s Professional Pilot Program in Florida.

L3 will also be providing one (1) scholarship worth up to $25,000 and eight (8) additional scholarships worth up to $12,500 to help a total of 10 aspiring female pilots begin their pilot training journey at L3 in Florida.

The Women Aviators Scholarships are open to all female U.S citizens and female U.S. permanent residents who successfully enroll into L3’s Professional Pilot Program. This scholarship is only the first of L3’s Pilot Pathways initiative, which is a broader commitment to improving the accessibility of training to aspiring pilots from all backgrounds.

Applications Due: June 30th

zondaracer
1st May 2019, 00:13
Southern Airways Announces Strategic Minority Investment by SkyWest

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2019/04/30/1812714/0/en/Southern-Airways-Announces-Strategic-Minority-Investment-By-SkyWest-New-Alliance-Between-the-Companies.html

POMOANO BEACH, Fla., April 30, 2019 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Southern Airways Corporation, the parent company of Southern Airways Express and Mokulele Airlines, has announced a strategic minority investment by SkyWest, Inc. (NASDAQ: SKYW).

Southern now has more than 200 pilots in its combined pilot corps, many of whom are looking to advance their aviation careers to regional and mainline carriers. SkyWest is the largest regional carrier in the world as measured by fleet size, number of passengers carried and cities served. This strategic investment by SkyWest will enhance Southern’s recruiting capabilities by providing a career pathway from flight school through Southern’s cadet program and ultimately to SkyWest. Those interested in applying to Southern should visit the Careers tab on the company’s website, www.iFlySouthern.com (https://www.globenewswire.com/Tracker?data=YeNPMmWKdidtyZP1ORQd8MWqUn8Co6uXajvEEXHbJsIDKTh FtN28ibC72muF2NsQrNJcraaASAiKVP9ym7kzQeMpuPupyZ_hY77LIqo5iLw =).

"The airline marketplace is incredibly competitive, and we are pleased with this opportunity to firmly cement our brand alongside the most respected regional industry giant,”said Stan Little, chairman and CEO of Southern Airways. “Southern Airways is committed to remaining the most reliable and economical carrier in our class and to working with our partners to create win-win solutions like this one.”

“SkyWest is pleased to acquire a minority equity interest in Southern Airways,”said Wade Steel, chief commercial officer of SkyWest, Inc. “Putting a pilot pathway program in place with Southern enhances our pipeline of future Part 121 professional aviators.”

Southern, with operational footprints in the Gulf South, the mid-Atlantic and South Florida, recently acquired Mokulele Airlines, a carrier providing service throughout the Hawaiian Islands and in Southern California.

Southern began service in 2013 by offering flights from Memphis, Tenn. to Destin, Fla. using a total of four pilots and three aircraft. In 2015, Southern acquired Executive Express Aviation, an Illinois-based charter company that was previously contracted to operate the Southern flight schedule. In February 2016, Southern acquired Sun Air Express, an airline operating Essential Air Service (EAS) routes in the mid-Atlantic. Three years later, in February of 2019, Southern acquired Mokulele. Following the integration of the two airlines, expected to be complete by mid-summer, the new Southern Airways will operate 1,380 weekly flights, more than any other carrier in the 50 states.

For more information, or to arrange an interview, please contact Todd Smith ([email protected] (https://www.globenewswire.com/Tracker?data=sLC2hrR_vhR7qUzrtjCHMHBEx5XvO25SuZIY2N000b7ykOj AeSF_WsTmI08c16Cz_XBiXxvviZD2SlSGLYwpF6ulqVC7YV9E6txoqWYq11k =) 615-202-7944) or Southern’schief marketing officer, Keith Sisson ([email protected] (https://www.globenewswire.com/Tracker?data=8uUD_WOQ7jNVG0CY-5Z7yRanON8APdRfL7JowiL6Y6Taw8IwP6iNql2jILYPpXA8dWdjJEvA6fHzW sUa1HWmhelJNpuuohfJa3yRQ9bqmRw=) 228-313-9920).

Founded in 2013, Pompano Beach, Florida-based Southern Airways Express has quickly grown to become one of the largest commuter airlines in the United States. Operating a fleet of Cessna Caravans and Grand Caravans, Southern, along with its new subsidiary, Mokulele Airlines, serves 30 cities with more than 220 peak-day departures from hubs at Baltimore, Dallas/Ft.Worth, Honolulu, Kahului, Kona, Memphis, Palm Beach and Pittsburgh. For more information, go to http://www.iFlySouthern.com (https://www.globenewswire.com/Tracker?data=ht6bdBsrNyK2IQ1sEsADjt0jC98jm6dMWB9QH5k2duPAllo NrMVc35U4dnhr17S1M951cWv-y40hrxzae7X5hBbKPBxyKaexpohT2-pq8xs=) or visit us on all major social media sites.

bafanguy
6th May 2019, 21:13
This from GoJet. The bit about referral bonus is telling. Not sure what "successful pilot candidate" means. Finish IOE perhaps ?:

"$10,000 PER PILOT REFERRAL BONUS We know that great pilots know other great pilots. That's why we pay GoJet pilots a $10,000 bonus for each successful pilot candidate they refer to the company. And there's no cap on referrals, which means that pilots have the opportunity to earn a lot of extra cash."

DIRECT ENTRY CAPTAIN PROGRAM (http://www.gojetairlines.com/careers/pilots/Pages/Direct-Entry-Captain-Program.aspx?source=SkyJobs.com)

Rkon
9th May 2019, 11:34
I don't know where you sit in the system, but I have had 30 years as an airline captain and am now involved in Part 135 management. I can assure you that there is a shortage of qualified pilots. I advertise hard and rarely get someone who meets my most basic needs, and usually someone else with deeper pockets poaches him before I can even start his training or he will have some shortfall such as no multi turbine time but I will take him and train him and when he has 250 hours multi turbine he leaves to a better job. Usually to the freight companies where he can fly a 747. The stats are clear; the number of pilots in this country have dropped by a large amount at the same time as the airlines need more, creating a vacuum which cannot be filled by legislation. It needs qualified, experienced and trained people at all seat positions and there is simply no supply. Why is that? Poor planning of course, not seeing this threat coming, of course, greed at the top maybe, complacency, whatever, but you have to realise it will take 8 to 10 years to create a SIC and 12 to 15 to create a PIC for the airline level. Those pilots who took those jobs used to have to prove themselves by flying small airplanes, in the bush or whatever, building time that counted, and getting ratings or quals that had a connection to what the employers wanted. Because of the shortage, if a person can climb the stairs to the HR department without collapsing he is qualified. I know guys who I would not employ to wash my car being given jobs as SIC on second-level and regional airlines, or even some in the top airlines merely because they had the required 1500 hours. Or even came close, with promises to put them in company sponsored jobs to build their time. The airlines are desperate and they will pay whatever they need, which is way more than I can pay at my level.
Nothing is being done to fix this problem. It will only get worse and the entire industry is in peril.
There is no work ethic any longer as the liberals have done their best to build the entitlement society, but the biggest hit has been the 1500 hour rule. A rule that had nothing to do with reality, was not driven by the Colgan accident as claimed in fact it makes the causes of the Colgan accident more prevalent. I can only conclude that, as it is usually done in this country, some special interests paid to have it pushed through. And it is supported by ALPA. Look no further.
Now a young'un who wants a career is faced with years more training, years more flying as a CFI or bush pilot in rough conditions, huge increases in debt, merely to have an ability to knock on a regional airline's door and ask for a low paying job as a SIC. No guarantees, no real career prospects, a risk that might not pay off. Why would anyone want to do that? So the youngsters are staying away in droves. There are not enough driven wannabe pilots out there to make it up, as the FAA itself will tell you. It was a crazy idea and it is predictably ruining this industry.
Those of you who are already at the top of course don't know or care, and you seem unable to look ahead to 5 years down the road when your airline too will be reducing flights, losing big money and going into at least Chapter 11. Many bigger airlines will fail as the smaller ones are doing already and suddenly there will be plenty of pilots available for me as they struggle to find jobs to pay back their huge financial liabilities but I fear it will be too late. My jobs will have gone way before that. At the lower end of the scale I am already hurting. I don't know how much longer small operators like ours can last. Probably not 5 years. And it is not due to salaries, it is due to the fact that there are simply no qualified pilots looking for work. So long as they can go directly to the bigger outfits why waste their time?
That must inevitably reduce the standards and it must lead to an uptick in incidents and accidents and it has already caused the loss of many lower-level aviation businesses including Part 135 and airports, and even mechanics are now in short supply.
Just a question to you as a manager in 135 company: does it possible to find a job with 250 hours for foreigner on M-1 visa?

pilotchute
9th May 2019, 12:29
Boofhead,
I will say this again. ALPA new that the 1500 hour rule would make the regionals up pay and conditions. Paying an SIC $18 an hour to crew a Dash 8 was not only stingy but dangerous. People sleeping in crew rooms after commuting from Arizona to New York (becasue they cant afford to live in domicile) is awful. Something had to be done.

Cutting the supply of 250 hour pilots who work for food stamps was the only option at the time.

havick
10th May 2019, 11:05
Boofhead,
I will say this again. ALPA new that the 1500 hour rule would make the regionals up pay and conditions. Paying an SIC $18 an hour to crew a Dash 8 was not only stingy but dangerous. People sleeping in crew rooms after commuting from Arizona to New York (becasue they cant afford to live in domicile) is awful. Something had to be done.

Cutting the supply of 250 hour pilots who work for food stamps was the only option at the time.

honestly I can say there is a noticeable difference in the skill level of my FO’s that have the 1500 unrestricted ATP and the bare bones restricted ATP of 750 hours or whatever is. The 1500 hours while not without the usual new to 121 issues, their SA is far better than the 750 hour guys

Fokker28
18th May 2019, 23:17
Exactly. It's the ability to maintain the big picture and multi-task that comes from having "been there" before. The experienced pilot will knock out 5 tasks while the low-time one is feeling saturated just flying if there's something unusual going on. It's not remotely a knock on low-timers (we were all there), but it just takes lots of reps in a dynamic environment.

bafanguy
13th Jun 2019, 21:35
Another flow-through program announced from ACC to ABX Air:

“Air Cargo Carriers, LLC has announced the signing of a Flow-Through Program with Wilmington, Ohio-based airline ABX Air, Inc. “

“…can bypass the interview process and obtain a training class opportunity at ABX Air…”

https://www.kentuckynewera.com/news/ap/article_68fb1962-6af0-5062-ae6a-9974ca7af27d.html

bafanguy
22nd Jun 2019, 11:09
Interesting small-scale program for bridging the university-industry gap. Not sure what "...on their way to Frontier cockpits..." means. They would still need r-ATP flight times and surely a formal interview. Still a few questions in my mind:

“The Purdue-Frontier-Airbus team has conducted a small-group trial and successfully demonstrated that A320 Type rating can be integrated in the traditional collegiate program. Two Purdue students who completed such training are already on their way to Frontier cockpits.”

I suppose Frontier could reconsider their total flight time hiring requirements for such students or perhaps it means they'll just provide outcome data from this program to the FAA to make the case for changing the 1500-hour rule ? If it's the latter case, good luck with that:

"In addition to the inclusion of an A320 Type rating, Frontier Airlines will provide resources to re-evaluate quality and quantity of the current total flight time requirements under the Airline Transport Pilot certification rules."

https://polytechnic.purdue.edu/newsroom/purdue-frontier-airbus-collaborating-passenger-jet-training-professional-flight

bafanguy
19th Jul 2019, 08:41
Update on Horizon Air hiring issues. Scroll down to "Overcoming A Pilot Shortage":

https://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/article232747187.html

bafanguy
22nd Jul 2019, 13:03
Beatin' the bushes:

“Part 121 airliners will not hire pilots over 65 because of federal laws. But, I was assured, they are hiring ATP-qualified pilots in their late 50s and early 60s. 'If you left aviation 20 years ago because of that lost decade, it’s time to come back,' declared Air Wisconsin Director of Pilot Recruitment Timothy Genc.

One regional airline recruiter told me that they had recently hired pilots in their mid-50s with the minimum requirements to start airline transport pilot certificate training—and the airline will reimburse their costs of earning the ATP.”

https://www.avweb.com/features/careers-features/aviation-a-post-retirement-career/

bafanguy
24th Jul 2019, 08:17
This from Sliver Airways. I don't see a date on it but word is they started up their Emerging Aviators Program again:

"Pilots who enter at the Cleared Direct phase are eligible for paid ATP-CTP training (transportation and housing also included), and if selected to join the Silver Airways team as First Officer, will receive a $12,000 sign-on bonus. And, once on board as First Officer, employees are eligible to receive $2,500 for each and every pilot referred who interviews and is selected to join the Silver Airways team too."

https://www.silverairways.com/pilot-recruitment#programs

bafanguy
26th Jul 2019, 21:27
I couldn't find a CFI thread that fit this job posting but it's related to Mesa so I'll put it here. Maybe it's my imagination but I can almost smell the desperation. Disregard the date in the title...it appears to be a typo:

https://www.jsfirm.com/job/Pilot-Fixed+Wing/Pilot+Instructor+Recruitment+Fair+08162018-+CAE+Mesa+Academy-+Interview+on+the+spot!/Mesa-Arizona/jobID_537279

bafanguy
30th Jul 2019, 08:56
Haven't seen the actual program language yet but ‘Ohana by Hawaiian now has a flow through to Hawaiian Airlines. I assume this is more than a guaranteed interview ?:

"Starting this fall, pilots interviewing for a position at ‘Ohana by Hawaiian will have the opportunity to also apply to Hawaiian’s Flow-Through hiring program. Candidates accepted to the program will be able to transition to Hawaiian after flying with ‘Ohana as Empire Airlines pilots in good standing for two years and achieving certain required qualifications."

https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/releases/releases-20190727

bafanguy
31st Jul 2019, 09:28
Commutair's latest offering for DEC. Not too sure about the stated time to reach United Airlines:

CommutAir Increases Pilot Sign-On Bonuses | Aero-News Network (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=57afa46c-2765-425e-a36e-0759611dfe3f)

MarkerInbound
6th Aug 2019, 16:42
Just got an email, Apply at Trans States and you may get a $100 gift card. I should get typing!

zondaracer
7th Aug 2019, 02:24
Delta just announced that they are consolidating the regionals. Compass and GoJet contracts will not be renewed and the flying will be redistributed between SkyWest, Endeavor, and Republic. SkyWest announced that they will have the majority or all of the Delta Connection flying out of LAX, SEA, and SLC. Republic announced that they will add 30 aircraft to their fleet.

Compass currently flies 36 E175s for Delta and GoJet flies 20 CRJ700s and 9 CRJ900s. The CRJ900s are up for expiration in 2023 but Delta is talking to GoJet about early removals.

Delta has said that the remaining three airlines will realign their geographical flying to be more focused and have less overlap.

SkyWest has offered preferential hiring and longevity match for pay to GoJet and Compass pilots.

JMC23
9th Aug 2019, 17:47
Apologies in advance if this question has been answered earlier in the thread. What are people's thoughts on ExpressJet vs TSA? In particular the offered sign-up bonuses/pay/working environment?

I'm looking at a move from Aus, so curious to know what the deal may be?

Thanks in advance.

bafanguy
11th Aug 2019, 20:35
What are people's thoughts on ExpressJet vs TSA? In particular the offered sign-up bonuses/pay/working environment?

The bonuses and pay are what they are. As for everything else, you'll find the usual love it/hate it spectrum of opinion. I do get the impression that XJT might be the up and comer these days.

The regional forum at Airline Pilot Central will give you the usual array of opinions. There's a bit of turmoil in the regional world here at the moment (or maybe there always is) but that doesn't mean you shouldn't take a run at it.

Good luck with your choice. See the airline "profiles" on APC if you haven't already:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/regional/

pilotchute
12th Aug 2019, 01:47
Given the choice Expressjet is the clear winner. Trans States Holdings isnt in a good position at the moment. Expressjet is chronically short of FO's right now so your move.

JMC23
12th Aug 2019, 10:04
I figure XJT to be a 'safer' option I guess considering they are a larger operation and are moving forward with the backing of United.

Thanks guys

bafanguy
10th Sep 2019, 08:25
Horizon Air's program:

https://horizonair.jobs/portland-or/pilot-development-program/8D8D250010AF4B239965B87FE4B99D20/job/?source=SkyJobs.com

pithblot
10th Sep 2019, 10:42
How is life for the spouse of an E3 visa holder in the US; can he or she work or start a business in the US ?

Thanks.

pithblot

raysalmon
10th Sep 2019, 12:50
How is life for the spouse of an E3 visa holder in the US; can he or she work or start a business in the US ?

Thanks.

pithblot

From the E3 Visa page of the US Citizenship and Immigration Services Website (https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/temporary-workers/e-3-certain-specialty-occupation-professionals-australia): Family of E-3 Visa HoldersYour spouse and unmarried children under 21 years of age are entitled to the same E-3 classification. Your spouse is entitled to work authorization, but not your children. To apply for work authorization as a spouse of an E-3 nonimmigrant, your spouse would file a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization. For more information on the application procedures, see the “Work Authorization” (http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/employment-authorization-document) page.

GE115b
30th Sep 2019, 16:37
I’m curious about this as well. My wife is entitled to an EB3 visa and I am therefore entitled to an E34 visa apparently. I am curious if I would be able to work for a US regional with an E34?

pithblot
1st Oct 2019, 00:40
raysalmon,

Thank you - that’s a very helpful reply.

pithblot

bafanguy
1st Oct 2019, 08:41
I’m curious about this as well. My wife is entitled to an EB3 visa and I am therefore entitled to an E34 visa apparently. I am curious if I would be able to work for a US regional with an E34?

Have you asked the question in this subforum ?

https://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/567072-australian-pilots-can-work-us-regionals.html

Cleared for take-off
2nd Oct 2019, 07:48
There are other forums talking about approvals of the E3 / renewals now being more stringent. Any more news on that?

bafanguy
4th Oct 2019, 10:27
Just a bit of behind-the-scenes at Expressjet as revealed on another forum. It's from post #44 on the link. While the thread itself is about another subject, the quote (bold) appears to be from Expressjet internally:

"We've had a bunch of applicants who are still in training since April... That and a many others washing out.

It's so bad they're paying for a separate expensive week long course after the ATP-CTP course that teaches these applicants basic pilot skills!"

"To increase our success with New Hire candidates, we have secured with FlightSafety a one week “pre-course” that covers general ground and turbojet sim training. Selected New Hires will attend this basic pre-program before they begin training at ExpressJet. Our goal is to match the ExpressJet ground and sim footprint for all candidates even if pilots lack recent currency or need a little help in understanding the airline environment. This “pre-course” will add significant costs, but we are hoping to make that up in (a) improved New Hire pilot success and (b) having our instructors focus on ExpressJet material – vs helping New Hires remedy core piloting skills. The first class will start this month and we will be gathering the metrics to judge the success."

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/expressjet/124487-aviate-5.html

havick
4th Oct 2019, 16:59
Just a bit of behind-the-scenes at Expressjet as revealed on another forum. It's from post #44 on the link. While the thread itself is about another subject, the quote (bold) appears to be from Expressjet internally:

"We've had a bunch of applicants who are still in training since April... That and a many others washing out.

It's so bad they're paying for a separate expensive week long course after the ATP-CTP course that teaches these applicants basic pilot skills!"

"To increase our success with New Hire candidates, we have secured with FlightSafety a one week “pre-course” that covers general ground and turbojet sim training. Selected New Hires will attend this basic pre-program before they begin training at ExpressJet. Our goal is to match the ExpressJet ground and sim footprint for all candidates even if pilots lack recent currency or need a little help in understanding the airline environment. This “pre-course” will add significant costs, but we are hoping to make that up in (a) improved New Hire pilot success and (b) having our instructors focus on ExpressJet material – vs helping New Hires remedy core piloting skills. The first class will start this month and we will be gathering the metrics to judge the success."

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/expressjet/124487-aviate-5.html

Wow, and this is just the of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

bafanguy
4th Oct 2019, 21:15
Wow, and this is just the of scraping the bottom of the barrel.

havick,

Yes, I suppose it appears that way. But, the industry will have to change.

No one is born with experience and so must get it somewhere. Perhaps somewhere will also have to change. If done properly, it certainly can change.

In any event, I've said more than once, "Seats will be filled"...and they will.

bafanguy
10th Oct 2019, 09:10
Horizon Air trotting out their Pilot Development Program again:

https://alaskaair.jobs/seattle-wa/pilot-development-program/927CC89282724176892334EA97CCB399/job/?source=SkyJobs.com

Professional Amateur
10th Oct 2019, 17:56
havick The pilot shortage is more nuancéd than the binary position currently broadly understood.

There is in fact a quality pilot shortage....or more accuratly put.... A shortage of airline operations capable pilots.

This is manifesting now in the regionals and is tacitly acknowledged by xjts unprecidented action.

havick
10th Oct 2019, 18:28
havick The pilot shortage is more nuancéd than the binary position currently broadly understood.

There is in fact a quality pilot shortage....or more accuratly put.... A shortage of airline operations capable pilots.

This is manifesting now in the regionals and is tacitly acknowledged by xjts unprecidented action.

That’s what I’ve been saying all along. *Having been at a regional as an FO and then CA and moved on recently myself.

Professional Amateur
10th Oct 2019, 19:18
Just got to a regional... And wow. I am with you.

bafanguy
12th Oct 2019, 10:25
Are the regional rotor-to-fixed wing programs having an noticeable effect on Army pilot retention ? I haven't seen any data but the question is being raised:

“One question I often get asked is, are the airlines impacting your shortfall,” Brig. Gen. Michael C. McCurry, director of Army aviation for the Office of the Deputy Chief of Staff G-3/5/7 said Thursday at an aviation-focused event at the Association of the United States Army. “Well the short answer is, we don’t know. We don’t have good measurements out there right now to tell us why an aviator is getting out of the force."

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/09/06/what-the-army-is-doing-about-pilot-shortfalls-as-cocom-demand-for-aviation-brigades-stays-high/

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2019/10/11/data-showing-160th-soars-pilot-shortage-is-a-snapshot-in-time-command-cautions/

Professional Amateur
12th Oct 2019, 10:57
I couldnt answer that question for the US Army/marine corps however I can say that there is a vast difference between loosing a 10 year pilot to a 3rd or 4th year pilot in the Army.

Speaking loosly, in the civillian sector once you get you ATP ticket there really is no concrete measure of experience that actually affects your capacity to do your job. By this I mean a 1500h ATP pilot can 'do' thier job as much as a 10000h ATP pilot can....i.e: get plane from a to b.

In the army however the difference is exponential between a 4yr and 10 year pilot. But the military uses civillian metrics (pilot in vs pilot out) to measure its shortage. A mil guy not only needs to fly but then needs to go through multiple mission upgrades. Probably 20 to 30 up to a ten year point generally culminating as a flight examiner.

My point, and I have argued this before, Army needs to measure the pilot workforce in both numbers and man years to get a true reflection of the workforce.

So.....if Army thinks they are short in the raw numbers then if they started to look at skills lost
using a man years metric I would posit the defecit would be staggering.

bafanguy
20th Oct 2019, 14:33
The federal government is hard at work solving the pilot shortage by reintroducing a bill from last year. By producing regional pilot candidates from the look of the thumbnail sketch of the bill:

"Democrat Tammy Baldwin, along with Sen. John Hoewven, R-N.D., has reintroduced the American Aviator Act that would offer funding for veterans to train to become airline pilots."

“Veterans participating in the program will receive flight training necessary to become a commercial pilot and receive other certifications, including to work as a certified flight instructor,” Baldwin said in a news release.

https://www.avweb.com/flight-safety/flight-schools/bill-would-fund-pilot-training-for-veterans/

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/3322/text

(b) Eligible entity.—For purposes of this section, the term “eligible entity” means a pilot school that—

(1) holds a training certificate under part 141 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations; and

(2) has an established employment pathway with at least one commercial air carrier operating under part 121 or 135 of title 14, Code of Federal Regulations.

How is this different from the DOT's Forces to Flyers program ? Which has produced all of 44 students ?:

January 2019 Update

The 44 slots for veterans to participate have all been filled and the participants have begun their training to become commercial airline pilots. There are no slots available for additional participants.

https://www.volpe.dot.gov/forcestoflyers

havick
20th Oct 2019, 15:06
44 slots is pretty useless when most regionals are hiring more than that in a single class.

bafanguy
22nd Oct 2019, 15:50
44 slots is pretty useless when most regionals are hiring more than that in a single class.

Yep. I wonder how many the American Aviator Act (S.3322) could produce for $5M/year:

(g) Appropriations.—To carry out this section, there is authorized to be appropriated $5,000,000 for each of the fiscal years 2019 through 2021.

havick
22nd Oct 2019, 21:28
Yep. I wonder how many the American Aviator Act (S.3322) could produce for $5M/year:

(g) Appropriations.—To carry out this section, there is authorized to be appropriated $5,000,000 for each of the fiscal years 2019 through 2021.

still it’s better than nothing for a lucky few, I bet they appreciate the leg up.

bafanguy
22nd Oct 2019, 21:45
still it’s better than nothing for a lucky few, I bet they appreciate the leg up.

Yes, it would be a boost for the small number of people able to take advantage of the program. I'm just very leery of the Imperial Federal Government getting involved in private sector issues.

Professional Amateur
22nd Oct 2019, 22:47
Just tinkering around the edges......

misd-agin
23rd Oct 2019, 02:56

$75,000 per student = 66 pilots per year.

In 40-50 yrs they’ll cover a year’s worth of major airline pilot demand.

bafanguy
29th Oct 2019, 11:58
[Sun Country isn't a regional but I don't know where else to put news about them]

I see that Sun Country is now advertising a “Paid ATP-CPT certification” for new hires:

Sun Country Benefits ? Become a Sun Country Pilot (http://www.suncountry.dreamhosters.com/sun-country-benefits/#1547667801113-56f60282-0924)

This is a bit confusing as their airlineapps.com page lists an ATP as a "minimum" requirement:

"Minimum qualifications
Certification requirements:
• FAA issued Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Airplane Multiengine Land certification"

https://www.airlineapps.com/jobs/details.aspx?emp=Sun-Country-Airlines&job=First-Officer

Why are they offering the ATP-CTP if applicants must already have the ATP ?

They also say “Legal right to work in the United States” which doesn't tell a whole lot. So the next question is: any chance of E3s ?

Professional Amateur
29th Oct 2019, 12:54
I love your snooping BG.

On this website https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/major-national-lcc/sun_country_airlines there is no mention of the ATP requirement.

Possibly some of the lowest (advertised) minimums out there. Goes hand in hand with not cracking $100 per hour for the first 8 years.

Also states that contract is ammendable in Nov 2020.... Likely see a pay bump there I guess.

And yes, an excellent question. Do they take E3s? Well the floodgates are just opening up with Southern and Atlas...... So who will fall next in allowing the Australian scurge to fly in the US?

RamSRQ
29th Oct 2019, 13:52
Right to work is right to work - the only question is getting your certs. co-validated. You could then work anywhere, without being tied to a specific company.

havick
29th Oct 2019, 15:41
Right to work is right to work - the only question is getting your certs. co-validated. You could then work anywhere, without being tied to a specific company.

there are some that require citizenship, eg kalitta.

bafanguy
29th Oct 2019, 21:52
I love your snooping BG. And yes, an excellent question. Do they take E3s?

PA,

We can get kinda snoopy here at The Olde Pilot Home. ;)

Someone will have to contact Sun Country and ask about the E3 issue.

bafanguy
31st Oct 2019, 10:06
Mesa Airlines cadet program. Not sure if this is new or has been around a while...can't remember. Click on the picture for more details:

Mesa Air Group (http://www.mesa-air.com/content.aspx?pageID=30299&CNM=Cadet%20Program&source=SkyJobs.com)

bafanguy
7th Nov 2019, 12:21
Piedmont Cadet Program. A little cash to grease the skids ?:

Piedmont Airlines Cadet Program (http://piedmont-airlines.com/Careers/Career-Guides/Cadets)

News article dated Oct.31:

Piedmont Airlines Launches New Cadet Pilot Program (http://aviationtribune.com/training/piedmont-airlines-launches-new-cadet-pilot-program/)

bafanguy
7th Nov 2019, 20:47
AA gettin' em young:

https://generalaviationnews.com/2019/11/07/airline-offers-flight-education-grants/

bafanguy
22nd Nov 2019, 09:40
Air Wisconsin has a new pilot labor contract. It'll be interesting to see if the change to pay structure, apparently eliminating sign-on bonuses, has any effect on recruiting:

“The new agreement converts one-time bonus payments previously offered by management into permanent pay rate increases…”

Air Wisconsin Pilots Approve New Contract | Aero-News Network (http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=6e559c49-1c1c-47fa-be21-9f251fe92589)

Michael Nowakowski
5th Dec 2019, 15:02
Air Wisconsin has a new pilot labor contract. It'll be interesting to see if the change to pay structure, apparently eliminating sign-on bonuses, has any effect on recruiting:

“The new agreement converts one-time bonus payments previously offered by management into permanent pay rate increases…”

The sign-on bonuses have not been removed and the new TA does not have pay rates reflecting as such.

bafanguy
6th Dec 2019, 12:06
The sign-on bonuses have not been removed and the new TA does not have pay rates reflecting as such.

Hmm, either the author of that article missed the mark or my reading comprehension skills have finally hit bottom. :{

bafanguy
9th Dec 2019, 11:56
Didn't notice this before but Piedmont advertising for DECs. Not sure when it first appeared on their pilot hiring page:

"20 DIRECT ENTRY CAPTAIN positions now available. Pilots who meet all 121 captain requirements may be eligible to receive an industry and wholly-owned competitive DEC bonus. The additional DEC bonus would be $15,000 on top of the $18,000 new hire pilot bonus.
Apply before Dec. 31 at AirlineApps.com"

Piedmont Airlines Pilot Careers (http://piedmont-airlines.com/Careers/Career-Guides/Pilots?source=SkyJobs.com)

bafanguy
23rd Dec 2019, 13:57
Hawaiian Airlines Pilot Pathway Program ? How many people can they get with this idea ?:

"Candidates hired through Hawaiian’s Pilot Pathway Aircrew Instructor program will deliver fleet and ground training to pilots while helping develop courses for Flight Standards & Qualification activities. After one year on the job, instructors will be guaranteed a first officer interview during the next available hiring period."

https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/12/23/hawaiian-airlines-launches-new-pilot-pathway-program/

"

A Squared
23rd Dec 2019, 17:02
Hawaiian Airlines Pilot Pathway Program ? How many people can they get with this idea ?:

"Candidates hired through Hawaiian’s Pilot Pathway Aircrew Instructor program will deliver fleet and ground training to pilots while helping develop courses for Flight Standards & Qualification activities. After one year on the job, instructors will be guaranteed a first officer interview during the next available hiring period."

https://worldairlinenews.com/2019/12/23/hawaiian-airlines-launches-new-pilot-pathway-program/

"

I guess that would depend on who they are hiring. If they were hiring people into program who otherwise wouldn't be likely to get an interview, and there was a reasonable chance that they'd get hired, there might be some takers. The thing is, do you have a reasonable chance of getting hired as a result of your interview if you couldn't get an interview on the merits of your resume? That's hard to judge.

Also, reading the entire article, you don't get hired after a year, you just get *interviewed* after a year, you're not eligible to begin pilot training until you've been in the instructor/trainer position for 2 years.

Seems to me that if your dream job is Hawaiian, and you don't have competitive minimums, you're better off going to a regional for 2 years and adding another 1800-ish hours of 121 time to your resume and keeping your application with Hawaiian current. If Hawaiian says thanks, but no thanks in your guaranteed interview, you've just spent a year, not adding time to your resume, not maintaining currency, not climbing a seniority list, really, not doing anything that increases your chances of getting hired at your #2 dream job.

Seems like a poor gamble to me.

bafanguy
23rd Dec 2019, 19:06
Seems like a poor gamble to me.

Yep, that's how it struck me too...for all the reasons you listed. They might get a few takers but how many of these instructors do they need anyway ? Can't be throngs.

They can just get people retired or out on medical to do that job. I don't see how it'll be all that productive for them.

bafanguy
23rd Jan 2020, 09:17
Delta has modified the criteria for its Delta Guaranteed Interview (DGI) program for pilots from their wholly-owned regional, Endeavor Air. It's still not a "flow" but appears to be an improvement including going back to look at some candidates who were previously unsuccessful. The full details have yet to appear on their website but I suppose this will improve recruiting a bit ?:

"Now, the pathway to Delta just got easier with program improvements that will give Endeavor pilots an even stronger advantage over Off-the-Street candidates for Delta pilot jobs."

Delta Guaranteed Interview Program | Endeavor Air (http://www.endeavorair.com/content/endeavor-air/en_us/careers/pilots/DGI_Program.html)

Endeavor Air Announces An Improved DGI Program For Pilots | Aero-News Network (http://www.aero-news.net/subsite.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=46df10a5-16ce-4d53-9d91-f4b103a5450c)

bafanguy
14th Feb 2020, 12:25
I see this Eagle Jet International ad pop up regularly. I assume they're recruiting foreign nationals to work for US operators ? To which companies do these recruits go ? Looks like PFT:

"ANY NATIONALITY"

“Training Fee Required Once Approved”

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/12552.html

A Squared
14th Feb 2020, 16:19
I see this Eagle Jet International ad pop up regularly. I assume they're recruiting foreign nationals to work for US operators ? To which companies do these recruits go ? Looks like PFT:

"ANY NATIONALITY"

“Training Fee Required Once Approved”

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/12552.html

Hmmmm, scratching my head about the title: "Regional Jet & Heavy Turboprop First Officer ..." Then the ad goes on to say that it's for Embraer 135/145/Legacy, none of which are turboprops. It says there's no flight time requirements, so that implies that they aren't looking or pilots with "heavy" turboprop experience. What is a "heavy" turboprop anyway? The only "heavy" designation I know of is wake turbulence category, which is 300,000 lb MGTOW or more. The only turboprop I can think of above that is the AN-22.

bafanguy
14th Feb 2020, 18:59
A x A,

The only thing I can think of is a Part 135 operator like Contour Airlines (or similar). Not sure what TP operators they mean. Maybe "heavy" is a comparative term like a SA227, heavier than a C208 ?

Here's a Contour ad:

"Be a U.S. citizen or upon hire show proof of right to work in the U.S."

I think I remember seeing earlier Eagle Jet Int'l ads promising green cards.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Job/indianapolis-in-pilot-jobs-SRCH_IL.0,15_IC1145013_KO16,21.htm?src=GD_JOB_AD&rdserp=true&srs=EI_JOBS&jl=3490626027&ao=283198&s=21&guid=000001704545bfafa3b2d7e97870ee38&pos=105&t=EMPLOYER_SEARCH_RESULTS

bafanguy
20th Feb 2020, 11:32
Silver Airways...don't normally hear much about them:

“Upgrade – new hire pilots with 1000 hours of 121 experience can bid for Captain on day one; all other new hires are projected to upgrade to Captain within 18 months “

“Onward and upward - all pilots are extended a pathway to Frontier Airlines after 1000 PIC at Silver.”

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=a7d56a97-1145-4316-adc1-f42714d86a2c&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=61466&lang=en_US&source=SkyJobs.com

A Squared
20th Feb 2020, 17:19
For what it's worth, Silver traces it's lineage back to the old Gulfstream, with it's "Make the FO's pay us to fly our 1900's " scam. Technically a different airline, but I've found that leopards don't usually change their spots much.

bafanguy
20th Feb 2020, 19:30
For what it's worth, Silver traces it's lineage back to the old Gulfstream, with it's "Make the FO's pay us to fly our 1900's " scam.

A x A,

Current circumstances in the US have sure done away with the need for anyone to do stuff like that.

A Squared
20th Feb 2020, 20:30
A x A,

Current circumstances in the US have sure done away with the need for anyone to do stuff like that.

Sure, I understand that in today's pilot market, nobody is renting out pilot seats on airliners. I'm just saying that in a more general sense, outfits that treat thier employees poorly (in whatever form that may be) usually continue treating employees poorly, even though name/ownership changes.

bafanguy
20th Feb 2020, 21:33
I'm just saying that in a more general sense, outfits that treat thier employees poorly (in whatever form that may be) usually continue treating employees poorly, even though name/ownership changes.

A x A,

Agree. And this fact of life will continue as long as there are people willing to stand and take a beating to get in a seat. That seems to provide at least some level of supply. It's just more common outside the USA.

zondaracer
24th Feb 2020, 19:17
Expressjet just announced losing 25 E175s (which they just received and started flying in 2019)

SkyWest just announced that they will receive 25 E175s from Expressjet in 2020. They will be based in IAH and ORD. These planes are owned by United.

Expressjet just announced that they will be an all E145 carrier, and they will receive 36 used E145s and establish flying in DEN.

Trans States just announced that they will lose all 36 E145s and shut down operations by the end of 2020.

bafanguy
24th Feb 2020, 19:40
Trans States just announced that they will lose all 36 E145s and shut down operations by the end of 2020.

Found this memo to TSA's employees:

https://forums.jetcareers.com/attachments/679027fd-00cf-4825-8d4a-1e1afd4bc99a-jpeg.51610/

https://forums.jetcareers.com/attachments/c51cc75a-21d1-4b0f-af65-e4ba62812ff3-jpeg.51611/

bafanguy
25th Feb 2020, 08:41
Part 135 operator, Contour Airlines, is advertising for F/Os:

“…and the company is now ranked as one of the largest Part 135 operators in the country.”

MINIMUM AND/OR RECOMMENDED FLIGHT TIMES
• Total Time: 500 Minimum/1000 recommended
• Multi-Engine Time: 100 Minimum/200 recommended

https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=20161&clientkey=4E8FCB0F31AC88147F0DB7B85238B354

https://www.paycomonline.net/v4/ats/web.php/jobs/ViewJobDetails?job=20142&clientkey=4E8FCB0F31AC88147F0DB7B85238B354

zondaracer
28th Feb 2020, 00:29
SkyWest announced that they will also purchase 20 E175s to fly for American Eagle. They have yet to announce where these planes will go. Compass will be an airline with just 20 E175s, flying exclusively for American Eagle, by this summer, with contracts up for renewal with in the next couple years. It could just be a coincidence.

bafanguy
3rd Mar 2020, 10:10
Appears Elite Airways is recruiting 10 CRJ F/Os:

https://workforcenow.adp.com/mascsr/default/mdf/recruitment/recruitment.html?cid=fefc0fae-d232-4995-b53c-509e19ff9663&ccId=19000101_000001&jobId=293242&lang=en_US&source=SkyJobs.com

I think they're in cahoots with the reincarnation of Midwest Express:

"Elite Airways will provide the initial aircraft, flight crews and maintenance service for Midwest Express, and Midwest Express will establish its own reservations system, customer service operations and in-flight amenities to support the new flights."

https://worldairlinenews.com/category/elite-airways/

bafanguy
11th Mar 2020, 09:05
Elite Airways recruitng CRJ F/Os ? Well, maybe not ?:

"Midwest Express (ME) announced that it has ended its partnership with Elite Airways."

“‘We are in substantial discussions with other airline operators to bring back non-stop service to Milwaukee,’ Aretakis added.”

https://www.aviationpros.com/airlines/press-release/21129040/midwest-express-midwest-express-ends-partnership-with-elite-airways

zondaracer
23rd Mar 2020, 02:42
Well, and like that it all comes to a screeching halt. Compass and Trans States Airlines are both closing their doors permanently within the next two weeks (both are owned by Trans States Holdings). Everyone has stopped hiring with the exception of Expressjet and cargo carriers. Some unlucky ones have found themselves in cancelled classes and out on the street looking for a job, and the talks of furlough are murmuring amongst the masses. Hopefully, the recovery is quick. Best of luck to everyone.

bafanguy
3rd Apr 2020, 18:45
Interesting move for Skywest to advertise for pilots in nine bases in this environment. It's not as if there won't be any pilots when/if regional hiring resumes. The ads start with this bold statement:

"Leave your resume for when this job reopens – soon!"

https://www.jsfirm.com/job/Pilot-Fixed+Wing/First+Officer+-+Pilot+-+Queens+-+NY/Queens-New+York/jobID_483703

Climb150
4th Apr 2020, 18:36
Also strange that their La Guardia base is closed

zondaracer
9th Apr 2020, 03:47
Also strange that their La Guardia base is closed

That is a result of the realignment of the Delta Connection flying. Delta consolidated their regional flying to three companies, Republic, SkyWest, and Endeavor, and they publicly stated that they wanted these regionals to be more regionally focused. SkyWest subsequently moved their Delta Connection assets out west to ramp up the Seattle, Los Angeles, and Salt Lake City flying to cover the closure of Compass Airlines.

zondaracer
9th Apr 2020, 04:54
Interesting move for Skywest to advertise for pilots in nine bases in this environment. It's not as if there won't be any pilots when/if regional hiring resumes. The ads start with this bold statement:

"Leave your resume for when this job reopens – soon!"

https://www.jsfirm.com/job/Pilot-Fixed+Wing/First+Officer+-+Pilot+-+Queens+-+NY/Queens-New+York/jobID_483703

I would refer to the SkyWest website. That jsfirm information refers to their 2018 job posting reference number.

bafanguy
9th Apr 2020, 09:15
I would refer to the SkyWest website. That jsfirm information refers to their 2018 job posting reference number.

Z,

I didn't catch that nuance in the listing. I assumed that the statement about the positions reopening "soon !" meant it referred to current circumstances.

bafanguy
16th Apr 2020, 08:53
Surprising anyone is posting job openings these days. Job published date : 2020-04-16

This outfit will have quite a selection of applicants:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/14343.html

Jjp321
19th Apr 2020, 01:09
Great,
So we perpetuate the system where the least experienced pilots are the teachers of the next generation.

It’s been that way for a long time. Lowest paying jobs are done by least experienced pilots.

bafanguy
6th May 2020, 16:40
I see an H1B visa filing by Air Wisconsin for 2 CRJ F/Os starting in June, 2020. I must be overlooking something. How can any regional still be taking visa holders ? Maybe these are renewals ? But I don't see anything saying that for sure:

http://www.myvisajobs.com/H1B-Visa/LCAFull.aspx?ID=38634&Y=2020

Air Wisconsin, Jobs & Salary for Foreign Workers | myvisajobs.com (http://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Sponsor/Air-Wisconsin/20095.htm)

A Squared
6th May 2020, 19:25
I see an H1B visa filing by Air Wisconsin for 2 CRJ F/Os starting in June, 2020. I must be overlooking something. How can any regional still be taking visa holders ? Maybe these are renewals ? But I don't see anything saying that for sure:

LCA for H1B Case Detail | Myvisajobs.com (http://www.myvisajobs.com/H1B-Visa/LCAFull.aspx?ID=38634&Y=2020)

Air Wisconsin, Jobs & Salary for Foreign Workers | myvisajobs.com (http://www.myvisajobs.com/Visa-Sponsor/Air-Wisconsin/20095.htm)

I have to agree, a renewal seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

LostWanderer
7th May 2020, 09:07
I have to agree, a renewal seems to be the only thing that makes sense.

H1B is valid for 6 years and non renewable. I am assuming they are Australians who were on an E3 visa on a 2 year validity and have changed to H1B status for some bizarre reason. Very odd indeed, H1B is a very expensive process for the company and especially during times like these where every dollar counts and survival of any regional is far from guaranteed.

May be a short stay for those guys on the Visas they renew, given AW is likely to furlough pretty far down the list my buddy there tells me.

Climb150
7th May 2020, 14:56
Two pilots isn't exactly a takeover of American jobs. H1B is actually 3 years renewable for another 3 then you either apply for a Green Card or go home.

bafanguy
7th May 2020, 20:21
Two pilots isn't exactly a takeover of American jobs.

Yep...nor was the whole Aussie invasion. It was a comparative handful of people coming up here.

A Squared
7th May 2020, 21:13
H1B is valid for 6 years and non renewable. I am assuming they are Australians who were on an E3 visa on a 2 year validity and have changed to H1B status for some bizarre reason. Very odd indeed, H1B is a very expensive process for the company and especially during times like these where every dollar counts and survival of any regional is far from guaranteed.

May be a short stay for those guys on the Visas they renew, given AW is likely to furlough pretty far down the list my buddy there tells me.

OK, that might be what's going on. I'm not up on the details of the various visa types. Anyway, I guess the point it that whatever the details of the application are, it wouldn't make sense to be currently hiring folks from another country on a visa at this particular moment in history, so it seems a lot mroe plausible that this is an application for someone who was already employed prior to things going south.

A Squared
7th May 2020, 21:15
Two pilots isn't exactly a takeover of American jobs.

Sure, I don't think anyone is panicking about it, at least I'm not. Just saying it seems odd given the current airline employment situation.

LostWanderer
8th May 2020, 03:12
Sure, I don't think anyone is panicking about it, at least I'm not. Just saying it seems odd given the current airline employment situation.

Absolutely, any US airline employing anyone from overseas right now would not be in good taste at all. I think the guys and girls getting Visas renewed are likely the ones who have been there for a few years or so now.

My Aussie buddy still at SkyWest tells me that out of 5500 pilots there are 85-90 Australians. I’d imagine there are similar small numbers at the others as well, likely less come October when they are able to furlough.

Also, I’m told that the paperwork for the E3 is similar or the same to the H1B so they could very well just be renewing their E3 Visas after 2 years at the company

bafanguy
30th May 2020, 18:55
Eastern Airlines isn't a regional but what the heck...any hiring these days is a news event:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/14857.html

Climb150
30th May 2020, 21:10
Absolutely, any US airline employing anyone from overseas right now would not be in good taste at all. I think the guys and girls getting Visas renewed are likely the ones who have been there for a few years or so now.

My Aussie buddy still at SkyWest tells me that out of 5500 pilots there are 85-90 Australians. I’d imagine there are similar small numbers at the others as well, likely less come October when they are able to furlough.

Also, I’m told that the paperwork for the E3 is similar or the same to the H1B so they could very well just be renewing their E3 Visas after 2 years at the company

How do you think USCIS works?

"Oh those two visas are pretty similar so we will just use the names interchangeably".

bafanguy
8th Jun 2020, 09:42
A little bit of hiring. I'd guess the competitive quals just got pretty high:

https://www.cbizems.com/extranet/JobSearch.aspx?id=134693&aid=17088&source=SkyJobs.com

https://www.cbizems.com/extranet/JobSearch.aspx?id=134692&aid=17088&source=SkyJobs.com

bafanguy
25th Jun 2020, 10:43
I'm surprised to see Wheels Up hiring but apparently they are. Even more surprising to see the bit about an ATP-CTP course being available. There will be hordes of ATP holders applying. I don't know if the airline refugees having the airline "stink" on them will appeal to a Part 135 operator:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/10961.html

bafanguy
1st Nov 2020, 10:48
Well, this is encouraging. I suspect there'll be a wide gap between what's "required" and what's hired:

"Submit your application by 11/5/2020 at 11:59pm."

https://alaskaair.jobs/portland-or/first-officer/53F7E9DB0B4841928BF08D7B0948691F/job/?source=SkyJobs.com

bafanguy
5th Nov 2020, 14:44
Skywest still promoting their pilot pathway program...even today ? The ad appeared today but doesn't have a date on it so I can't tell if it's actually current:

https://www.jsfirm.com/Pilot-Fixed+Wing/Pilot+Pathway+Program/Saint+George-Utah/jobID_670631

https://www.skywest.com/skywest-airline-jobs/career-guides/pilot-pathway-program/?q=

Maybe they're just trolling for candidates in anticipation of the recovery.

bafanguy
22nd Nov 2020, 11:42
Always encouraging to see hiring going on these days...even a little bit of hiring. FedEx feeder apparently ? Posted yesterday:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/12874.html

bafanguy
27th Nov 2020, 14:21
Looks like Breeze Airlines is still working toward a start up:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/1493.html

bafanguy
3rd Dec 2020, 10:26
And now Breeze is looking for garden-variety F/Os. E170/190 type rating required:

https://boards.greenhouse.io/breezeairways/jobs/4252667003?source=SkyJobs.com

bafanguy
7th Dec 2020, 20:20
At least someone is hiring:

https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/405500?source=SkyJobs.com

havick
8th Dec 2020, 00:35
At least someone is hiring:

https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/405500?source=SkyJobs.com

Commutair will be looking for a street captains fairly soon.

bafanguy
18th Dec 2020, 20:19
Nice to see some hiring. Here are some EMB120 cargo spots:

Captain EMB120 Cargo Pilot - Careers At Ameriflight, LLC (http://ameriflight.hrmdirect.com/employment/job-opening.php?req=1459036&&cust_sort1=26543ob&source=SkyJobs.com)

https://www.berryaviation.com/job-listings/?source=SkyJobs.com

bafanguy
18th Dec 2020, 20:25
And for something a bit larger. I'd guess the competitive quals are far higher than the mins listed:

https://abxair-jobs.com/jobDesc.asp?JobID=617&i=&source=SkyJobs.com

bafanguy
7th Jan 2021, 22:40
FYI:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Everts-Air-Cargo/jobs?jk=e1e1ba13dd13f70b&start=0&clearPrefilter=1

bafanguy
9th Jan 2021, 11:26
Back to some potential regional headhunting. It appears ExpressJet is contemplating relaunch as an independent airline. I think they have to act within the next year or so or surrender their certificate. They won't have any trouble finding pilots:

"ExpressJet’s plans for 2021 and beyond are to provide high-quality, reliable, efficient point-to-point flying to small and medium sized cities that have lost service in recent years as a result of U.S. airline industry consolidation and COVID-19 driven route reductions."

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/expressjet2021-relaunch/

bafanguy
12th Jan 2021, 20:36
This sounds like work but the company has been around a long time:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/16267.html

zondaracer
16th Jan 2021, 06:32
PSA airlines just announced that they will start hiring soon.

bafanguy
16th Jan 2021, 13:11
PSA airlines just announced that they will start hiring soon.

Z,

So they're just collecting resumes at this point ?

https://www.psaairlines.com/first-officers

But a person should go with airlines apps also ?

https://www.airlineapps.com/jobs/details.aspx?emp=PSA-Airlines&job=First-Officer

zondaracer
16th Jan 2021, 19:07
I don’t know what is the preferred method for applying, but the company sent an internal letter yesterday stating their intent to hire soon.

bafanguy
16th Jan 2021, 21:26
...but the company sent an internal letter yesterday stating their intent to hire soon.

Z,

Well, that's a sign. :ok:

Climb150
17th Jan 2021, 01:43
So prior to the second stimulus (2 weeks ago) they had over 700 on furlough but now they are hiring? I call b*ll

zondaracer
17th Jan 2021, 08:41
So prior to the second stimulus (2 weeks ago) they had over 700 on furlough but now they are hiring? I call b*ll
All furloughs are being recalled. They aren’t hiring yet. They plan on extending new hire classes to those with CJO’s first. Then newhires as demand requires.

Climb150
17th Jan 2021, 11:09
All furloughs are being recalled. They aren’t hiring yet. They plan on extending new hire classes to those with CJO’s first. Then newhires as demand requires.
Furloughs have been recalled because of a stimulus package. Not from increased demand. If there is no increase in demand I fail to see why you would train anyone. But what airline management do is a mystery to me!

zondaracer
17th Jan 2021, 11:46
As someone who has been furloughed and recalled as a result of the stimulus, I understand. However, I can’t change the fact that PSA sent an internal memo saying that they are planning on having newhire classes this year after the recalls are all recalled.

zondaracer
17th Jan 2021, 12:17
Additionally, PSA’s main focus airports are PHL and CLT. During the pandemic, Charlotte has been consistently busy. American is shifting flying around too. Republic is leaving Miami and going to focus in the northeast. Envoy is leaving LGA, and the ERJ-145s are leaving Miami, and Envoy is bringing the E175s to Miami.

American just renewed some of Mesa’s CRJ900s, but not all that were up for renewal. SkyWest is going to increase airframes for American. You can bet that all the airlines will maximize the use of their regionals up to the scope limits since it’s cheaper to operate a full CRJ900 than a half full A320.

bafanguy
17th Feb 2021, 21:07
This ad appeared today ,17 Feb, on a very reputable website but I don't see a date on the ad itself. I'm a little suspicious. Can Mesa actually be recruiting pilots under current circumstances ?:

https://www.jsfirm.com/job/Pilot-Fixed+Wing/Pilot+(First+Officer)+-+IAH/Houston-Texas/jobID_718907

zondaracer
1st Mar 2021, 08:00
Horizon Airlines has just opened their hiring window. They are accepting applications from 1 March through 7 March.

zondaracer
10th Mar 2021, 05:55
Endeavor just announced that they will hire 450 pilots.

bafanguy
12th Mar 2021, 20:09
Endeavor just announced that they will hire 450 pilots.

Z,

I don't see a date on this EDV hiring page but they're giving a $5K training completion bonus(scroll to bottom of page)...even in the current mess ?

Pilot Pay | Endeavor Air (http://www.endeavorair.com/content/endeavor-air/en_us/careers/pilots/Pilot_Compensation.html)

bafanguy
14th Mar 2021, 11:11
So, Air Wisconsin now recruiting ? Can't tell from their careers page but found this one which listed a time as "6 hours ago" and "...sign-on bonuses up to $5,000..." and "...Must have an ATP or be qualified to obtain an ATP or Restricted ATP...":

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-e&q=air+wisconsin+careers&ibp=htl;jobs&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwio3OmX0q_vAhWQW80KHdsbC_UQkd0GMAN6BAgdEAE#fpstate =tldetail&htivrt=jobs&htiq=air+wisconsin+careers&htidocid=5IdTi_pGqclFaLx3AAAAAA%3D%3D

zondaracer
15th Mar 2021, 06:55
Yes. Endeavor, Air Wisconsin, and PSA are now currently hiring.

zondaracer
16th Apr 2021, 13:26
SkyWest is now officially hiring.

bafanguy
16th Apr 2021, 18:08
SkyWest is now officially hiring.

Z,

Are the people getting hired coming from some pre-COVID pool or fresh meat ?

zondaracer
17th Apr 2021, 05:20
Z,

Are the people getting hired coming from some pre-COVID pool or fresh meat ?
Not sure. The announcement was made yesterday.

zondaracer
17th Apr 2021, 05:20
Republic is now hiring.

bafanguy
17th Apr 2021, 14:13
Expressjet redux. Not sure what it means for pilot hiring. They'll need a few I assume:

"According to ExpressJet, the goal is to start operations using a fleet of Embraer ERJ-145s to operate on underserved communities across the United States."

"While a route map has not yet been announced...will start in June 2021."

https://airlinegeeks.com/2021/04/17/expressjet-plans-independent-renaissance/

bafanguy
21st Apr 2021, 21:53
This Skywest ad appeared today. Not sure if it's new or recycled as there's no date on it:

https://www.jsfirm.com/Pilot-Fixed+Wing/First+Officer+Pilot/Saint+George-Utah/jobID_747054

zondaracer
22nd Apr 2021, 02:45
It is official. SkyWest is now hiring.

Climb150
22nd Apr 2021, 19:32
It is official. SkyWest is now hiring.

Don't get too excited they have about 600 CJOs to get through first.

zondaracer
22nd Apr 2021, 20:55
Don't get too excited they have about 600 CJOs to get through first.

Lol I don’t work there anymore. Just passing the message.

bafanguy
22nd Apr 2021, 21:25
Freight Runners Express F/O spots. I didn't realize they had pax ops:

https://freightrunners.applicantpro.com/jobs/1764801.html?source=SkyJobs.com

zondaracer
25th Apr 2021, 00:19
Envoy just announced that they are now hiring.

bafanguy
25th Apr 2021, 15:20
Speculation time:

It appears the regionals are starting to hire again. Once this COVID thing gets turned around, what will the pilot supply for regionals be...short like before...or still plenty of refugees from the three defunct regionals available to meet the need ? It's hard to know how many of these folks have either found a spot elsewhere or left the profession completely.

And how about the supply of the people who were working toward their 1500 hours CFIing, etc., on their way to a regional ? Any change in those numbers ? Have new entrants to the profession been scared away by the mess of the last year or so ?

Climb150
25th Apr 2021, 19:31
Some Regionals who say they are "hiring" have merely resumed new hire classes. Commutair and Gojet are the only ones I know who have people in class right now that didn't have a CJO from last year. A few others are also doing classes for cadet programs that they run.

Skywest have 600 CJOs to get through before an off the street hire gets a class.

Most regionals also don't seem to be interested in taking people who don't either have an ATP or have not completed ATP-CTP already. This only applies to non cadets and no CJO people.

Remember the 100 people that Frontier was saying they were hiring in January? They only just started Interviews for that 5 months later.

I also just looked on the Envoy website. No pilot jobs listed in careers section.

bafanguy
25th Apr 2021, 21:28
Some Regionals who say they are "hiring" have merely resumed new hire classes. Commutair and Gojet are the only ones I know who have people in class right now that didn't have a CJO from last year. A few others are also doing classes for cadet programs that they run.

Skywest have 600 CJOs to get through before an off the street hire gets a class.

I also just looked on the Envoy website. No pilot jobs listed in careers section.

Yes, I don't doubt what you've listed. There are lots of loose ends to be tied up from this mess. My question is more about what happens to regional supply after the dust settles from all the interim processes you've described. It'll take a crystal ball hence the use of "speculation" in my question.

I looked at the FAA data for student pilot certificates issued as a loose measure of how many people might be contemplating entering the profession. Unfortunately, data for 2019 is the latest they list.

Climb150
26th Apr 2021, 03:04
When the dust settles do you mean when international travel returns? Because until then we won't get back to 2019 levels. I don't think there will be any shortfall of 1500 hour peeps to feed the regional machine for at least 24 months.

Flight schools in my area had a drop in students from March to July 2020 but have been back at normal levels since. That in my opinion has given supply a chance to "catch up" with demand so to speak.

I don't buy the pilot shortage apocalypse some people are predicting. Sounds like flight school marketing to me!

bafanguy
26th Apr 2021, 13:16
When the dust settles do you mean when international travel returns? Because until then we won't get back to 2019 levels.

I don't buy the pilot shortage apocalypse some people are predicting.

I don't have any specific timeline in mind...I'm just spitballing the topic. I also don't put much faith in the notion of a pilot shortage although the regionals did appear to be scrambling a bit for fresh meat pre-covid. Just curious if that circumstance will return when the world rights itself. Who knows...I sure don't.

Climb150
26th Apr 2021, 14:36
I spoke with a very Senior United capt (30 years) last week. He said he gave up long ago trying to predict this industry.

I think we are on a slow and steady upward trajectory that may flatten out a few times before we are back to "normal". The only thing I see that may stall the increase in demand is a reluctance of people to get vaccinated. My guess is many central and south american countries, all of Asia and Europe will eventually require travellers to be vaccinated or show a certificate of recovery to travel.

My crystal ball!

bafanguy
16th May 2021, 10:59
GoJet looking for CRJ DECs. In this environment ? Interesting:

https://www.airlineapps.com/news/item.aspx?nid=1272&source=SkyJobs.com

LostWanderer
19th May 2021, 06:04
GoJet looking for CRJ DECs. In this environment ? Interesting:

https://www.airlineapps.com/news/item.aspx?nid=1272&source=SkyJobs.com

Very interesting indeed. Heard they were struggling to even pay the leases on their jets a short while back...maybe UA is propping them up

bafanguy
19th Jun 2021, 14:35
An opportunity for some lower time pilots but it has a training contract:

Embraer 120 Brasilia (18 month Training Agreement)

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/12874.html

bafanguy
7th Jul 2021, 13:27
Skywest taking the long view ?

https://www.jsfirm.com/job/Pilot-Fixed+Wing/Pilot+Pathway+Program/Saint+George-Utah/jobID_784012

bafanguy
8th Jul 2021, 07:40
It appears Sun Country Airlines is trolling through the large flight schools and universities for pilot material. Right from being a 1500 hour CFI to a B737 spot. Why mess with a regional:

"As US airlines continue their search for enough cockpit crewmembers to fill both current and future demand, ATP Flight School and Sun Country Airlines just announced a pilot hiring partnership to create a direct pathway for ATP graduates to join the Minneapolis-based airline as Boeing 737 first officers."

https://www.flyingmag.com/story/careers/atp-sun-country-partner-up/

"INTRODUCING a groundbreaking partnership between Sun Country Airlines and University of North Dakota, giving commercial aviation students the opportunity to secure full-time employment prior to graduation through the Sun Country Bridge Program."

https://aero.und.edu/aviation/_files/docs/career-pathways/sun-country-airlines.pdf

bafanguy
8th Sep 2021, 16:28
Mesa announced a $20K sign-on bonus. No details on the website. You have to contact them for that:

https://www.mesa-air.com/pilots

bafanguy
10th Sep 2021, 19:22
Has PSA always required F/O applicants to be active CFIs ? This from the PSA pilot recruiting page:

Required
• Must be a current CFI, actively instructing

https://careers-psaairlines.icims.com/jobs/2891/pilot-first-officer-rj50/job?mobile=false&width=831&height=500&bga=true&needsRedirect=false&jan1offset=-300&jun1offset=-240

bafanguy
28th Sep 2021, 18:10
Why is this headhunting outfit screening DECs for a US regional ? Can't regional do that for themselves ?

"We are partnered with one of the nations largest regional airlines to identify candidates for their Direct Entry Captain program. "

https://www.jsfirm.com/job/Pilot-Fixed+Wing/Direct+Entry+Captain/Mount+Pleasant-Pennsylvania/jobID_835145

losbol
11th Oct 2021, 19:56
I recently (2 weeks ago) spoke with some recruiters at an event in Florida. They could not give me answers on the specific interest or need for foreign pilots. Do you actually hire qualified foreigners?
All others boxes were ticked, which was very positive but this still is a vague but important area for me. Getting the working permit is the bottle neck for me now.(dutch citizen 2000+ hrs TP and jet).. Any other great insights would be appreciated..

Regards

bafanguy
11th Oct 2021, 21:26
I recently (2 weeks ago) spoke with some recruiters at an event in Florida. They could not give me answers on the specific interest or need for foreign pilots. Do you actually hire qualified foreigners?

Getting the legal ability to live/work in the USA is the biggest hurdle.

Can you offer any details about the event you attended or the people to whom you spoke ?

losbol
12th Oct 2021, 14:53
I went to the L3 harris fair. I spoke with recruiters of envoy and endeavor. In their defence it was mainly focused on students currently enrolled at the facility. I just crashed the party since I was in the vicinity on a short holiday break. They were not prepared for these questions, but they ensured me that getting the seats filled is a challenge. If you need more details just pm me..

bafanguy
12th Oct 2021, 16:05
I went to the L3 harris fair. I spoke with recruiters of envoy and endeavor. In their defence it was mainly focused on students currently enrolled at the facility. I just crashed the party since I was in the vicinity on a short holiday break. They were not prepared for these questions, but they ensured me that getting the seats filled is a challenge. If you need more details just pm me..

losbol,

Interesting. Too bad they didn't have more info for you. I don't hear much new or entertaining from US regionals lately. Hard to say what's actually happening. Most info is anecdotal so it's hard to know for sure without statements directly from the companies themselves.

However, there are some firsthand reports on the Aussie forum of personal contact with regionals regarding E3 activity. These are likely pretty accurate.

bafanguy
16th Oct 2021, 13:00
Air Wisconsin dangles some bait:

https://airwis.com/pilots.html

bafanguy
19th Nov 2021, 07:33
Interesting article and comments from UAL CEO. The link may or may not get you through to the entire article but you get the idea:

"United Airlines was forced to cut service to 11 secondary cities across the midwestern USA beginning in January due to the pilot shortage, the company’s chief executive officer says."

“It’s down to pilots,” Scott Kirby tells viewers of the Skift Aviation conference on 17 November. The pilot shortage is now real, we don’t have enough pilots to fly all the airplanes. It’s very simple.”

https://6park.news/idaho/united-cut-regional-routes-due-to-pilot-shortage-ceo-news.html

stewartvwyk
19th Nov 2021, 22:13
I honestly think it's only a matter of time before pilots get added to the skills shortage list and this would allow companies to sponsor visas.

bafanguy
20th Nov 2021, 16:56
stewartvwyk,

Hard to say where this will lead. The term pilot shortage gets kicked around a lot but with a rather unrefined definition so it's hard to say what's actually being discussed. The UAL CEO who was quoted as saying he didn't have enough pilots to fly the airplanes was addressing John Q. Public (where no nuanced definition is needed) and not the aviation community.

When I hear the term used, the first thing that pops into my mind is shortage of "what pilots ?". Being a cynic and skeptic, any time I hear shortage being alleged, I'll need to hear airline managements clearly state just what category of pilot they feel they're lacking.

While it's hard to say exactly what's happening at the regional level, it's plausible that the captain/LCA/sim instructor demographic is being tapped pretty hard by the legacies. If this supposition is correct, the shortage is of captains that it takes a minimum of 2 years to grow from scratch rather than F/Os who can be churned out in a couple of months. I can see where this would be a problem for the regionals.

I'd be very surprised to see the Big 6 career-destination carriers take in expats on visas. They just don't need to go that route. Green card holders ? Yep, all day long and twice on Sundays.

T O G A Boy
24th Nov 2021, 00:44
I honestly think it's only a matter of time before pilots get added to the skills shortage list and this would allow companies to sponsor visas.
I’ve been getting some emails lately asking me to apply for a green card since the pilot shortage in the US is at a very high level. I did however contact their delegated immigration lawyer and was told that it would cost me $12,000 ( paid in 3 installments) and non refundable if rejected for Green card. Strange indeed .
I truly believe that they are trying to make money during these pandemic days.

Kenny
24th Nov 2021, 07:07
stewartvwyk,

Hard to say where this will lead. The term pilot shortage gets kicked around a lot but with a rather unrefined definition so it's hard to say what's actually being discussed. The UAL CEO who was quoted as saying he didn't have enough pilots to fly the airplanes was addressing John Q. Public (where no nuanced definition is needed) and not the aviation community.

When I hear the term used, the first thing that pops into my mind is shortage of "what pilots ?". Being a cynic and skeptic, any time I hear shortage being alleged, I'll need to hear airline managements clearly state just what category of pilot they feel they're lacking.

While it's hard to say exactly what's happening at the regional level, it's plausible that the captain/LCA/sim instructor demographic is being tapped pretty hard by the legacies. If this supposition is correct, the shortage is of captains that it takes a minimum of 2 years to grow from scratch rather than F/Os who can be churned out in a couple of months. I can see where this would be a problem for the regionals.

I'd be very surprised to see the Big 6 career-destination carriers take in expats on visas. They just don't need to go that route. Green card holders ? Yep, all day long and twice on Sundays.

I’d bet a months pay check you’ll never see expats hired by UAL/DAL/AAL or SW with anything less than a Green Card. They’d home grow them before they’d do that.

bafanguy
16th Dec 2021, 07:34
Interesting comments on regional pilot supply from some airline Big Wigs (no solutions, of course):

https://simpleflying.com/regional-pilot-shortage-united-ceo/

Climb150
16th Dec 2021, 08:56
So the US big 3 offer early retirement to thousands of pilots then find themselves understaffed for the rebound. Solution, clean out the regionals and then cry pilot shortage!

bafanguy
28th Jan 2022, 23:03
Cryptic post but I'm guessing it's Piedmont ?:

https://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401541075/usa-captains-no-currency-required-close-to-190-000-in-bonuses-/?TrackID=110&utm_source=rss&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=general

bafanguy
10th Feb 2022, 16:37
This bit of news isn't actually "regional" stuff but I can't find the thread for hiring/headhunting above the regional level (thought there was one). This is about a newly announced path from start to Spirit. It's sort of the traditional tickets/CFI/regional/something-above-a-regional path except it appears to eliminiate the regional touch & go:

"In just seven months, graduates of ATP's Airline Career Pilot Program earn their commercial pilot and flight instructor certificates, then through the Spirit Direct Program can advance straight to Spirit as Airbus first officers after 1,500 hours of flight time,"...

https://www.aviationpros.com/education-training/flight-training/press-release/21256341/atp-flight-school-spirit-airlines-and-atp-flight-school-launch-new-program-for-next-generation-of-pilots

https://atpflightschool.com/airlines/spirit-airlines-alliance.html

badabing1234
1st Mar 2022, 01:06
Any news on H1B for Canadians with these regional carriers?

bafanguy
23rd Jun 2022, 19:05
Looks like Skywest is getting a little creative in their headhunting. I don't know enough to pass judgement on the legalities of this move but they must feel they're on solid ground:

"As a charter (https://simpleflying.com/tag/charter/) subsidiary, SkyWest Charter is not covered by the minimum 1500-hour experience rule for right seats, and neither is it bound by the 65-year-old mandatory retirement age. What's better for SkyWest Charter is that the first officers only need a commercial multi-IFR certificate and 250 hours, whereas the captains can keep flying until they fail their medicals."

https://simpleflying.com/skywest-seat-removal-pilot-shortage/

Spooky 2
23rd Jun 2022, 20:06
Looks like Skywest is getting a little creative in their headhunting. I don't know enough to pass judgement on the legalities of this move but they must feel they're on solid ground:

"As a charter (https://simpleflying.com/tag/charter/) subsidiary, SkyWest Charter is not covered by the minimum 1500-hour experience rule for right seats, and neither is it bound by the 65-year-old mandatory retirement age. What's better for SkyWest Charter is that the first officers only need a commercial multi-IFR certificate and 250 hours, whereas the captains can keep flying until they fail their medicals."

https://simpleflying.com/skywest-seat-removal-pilot-shortage/

I can see it now, some 250 hour SIC paired up with a 64 year old Captain. What could go wrong?

bafanguy
23rd Jun 2022, 21:54
Spooky 2,

Yes. lots of room for debate on this one.

First of all, no one knows if it'll even get off the ground; It's just a concept at this stage. If it goes, it'll involve small numbers of people.

All else at this point is speculation and theorizing. But that's fun. I can't imagine this concept will run rampant through the regional sector.

This will be entertaining to watch.

bafanguy
30th Jun 2022, 13:35
Looks like Skywest is gettin' serious about this Part 135 thing. I'll be interested to see what the pilot group looks like:

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/116683-skywest-charter-subsidiary-to-debut-in-early-4q22

bafanguy
21st Jul 2022, 12:54
Appears US start-up ULCC carrier, Avelo, is doing some long range planning for pilot supply...with a twist:

"Through its referral network, Alliance Aviation will help bolster Avelo Airlines' numbers by recommending highly qualified foreign First Officer candidates for a possible visa or work sponsorship, employment, and obtaining reciprocal or advanced licensing in the US."

https://simpleflying.com/avelo-airlines-alliance-aviation-pilot-recruitment-drive-partnership/

bafanguy
22nd Aug 2022, 14:09
This topic was touched upon in another thread but I'll put it here just in case people might not have seen it elsewhere. Breeze Airlines has a form of cadet program helping people get from 1,000 to 1,500 hours and then on to Breeze itself.

There are a couple of unanswered questions but here's the gist. I'm just guessing there's some flight instructing required ? They don't specify outright what "...will work with our partner flight school..." involves.

Breeze isn't going to pay for people to just go drill holes in the sky for 500 hours ?

"Selected participants will work with our partner flight school vendor to exclusively build your last 500 hours towards ATP minimums quickly, with Breeze covering the cost of aircraft and fuel! Breeze Boost is a trial program with limited capacity."

https://startup.jobs/breeze-boost-join-breeze-and-rapidly-build-your-last-500-hours-breeze-airways-tm-3567607

bafanguy
22nd Aug 2022, 15:00
A bit more Breeze details:

https://startup.jobs/breeze-embark-pilot-program-breeze-airways-tm-2998010

Bluesideup2022
1st Sep 2022, 16:39
Anyone else got a start with PSA?

jmvdb22
8th Sep 2022, 13:25
I've received a message from a lawyer on linkedin with the question if I'd be interested in getting a green card to work for Envoy, does anyone know if this is even legit?
I've never considered working in the US since it's a bit, in all possible ways to interpret this, far from home. I've been flying 737's in the EASA world for about 4 years now, so not even sure if it's worth the hassle going through all hoops getting an FAA license, new type rating, visa/green card, relocating and such to fly for a regional in the US. Any thoughts?

losbol
8th Sep 2022, 15:39
Ladies and Gents

I just received this:Thank you for your interest in Breeze Airways and the Breeze Airways First Officer position.

This note is to advise you that we are not able to process your application because you have indicated you need visa sponsorship in order to work in the U.S. Due to the large number of applicants we have received, we are currently only sponsoring E-3 visas for Australian Nationals.

We may offer visa sponsorship again in the future, so please check periodically for any updates.

regards

Losbol

zerograv
9th Sep 2022, 12:28
I've received a message from a lawyer on linkedin with the question if I'd be interested in getting a green card to work for Envoy, does anyone know if this is even legit?
I've never considered working in the US since it's a bit, in all possible ways to interpret this, far from home. I've been flying 737's in the EASA world for about 4 years now, so not even sure if it's worth the hassle going through all hoops getting an FAA license, new type rating, visa/green card, relocating and such to fly for a regional in the US. Any thoughts?

Did the lawyer mentioned how much he would charge to take care of the process ? (probably he forgot ... have heard that it is around 10k)

To the best of my knowledge it is necessary to have 10 years of professional flying. Likely your linkedin mentions more than just 4 years of 737.

jmvdb22
9th Sep 2022, 14:56
Did the lawyer mentioned how much he would charge to take care of the process ? (probably he forgot ... have heard that it is around 10k)

To the best of my knowledge it is necessary to have 10 years of professional flying. Likely your linkedin mentions more that just 4 years of 737.

He did not mention any rate haha, also I started my training 9 years ago, so not exactly 10 years of flying yet

bafanguy
22nd Sep 2022, 18:21
This is a rather bold move for Mesas Airlines:

https://worldairlinenews.com/2022/09/22/mesa-airlines-orders-29-pipistrel-alpha-trainer-2-aircraft/

bafanguy
7th Oct 2022, 22:35
This from Ravn. Not sure what it means. I think at one point they said they'd take E3s but this is the latest...for whatever it means:

"Please note: A work visa is required if you do not have a US passport. Rishworth will advise you and support you through the visa application process."

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/17502.html

MaverickPrime
16th Oct 2022, 14:47
I’m wondering if anyone can answer -

If I arrive in the states with 2000TT, 1500 in the 737, FAA ATP in hand with a H4 visa and employment authorisation document;

Will airlines be able to legally employ me?

I’m happy to fly anything, but would I be starting with a regional with this kind or experience?

bafanguy
17th Oct 2022, 13:25
MaverickPrime,

I know nothing about visa issues but suspect a regional would be your best option. Your qualifications certainly appear to fit what they want and then some. All the regional pilot hiring websites have contact info for their recruiters/HR people. I'd suggest contacting every one of them and ask your questions. Don't be fussy...contact every one of them...even the bad ones. Be prepared to briefly explain the conditions/limitations of the H4 visa as they may not be familiar enough to see if your visa status might fit in their operation.

Good luck in your hunt.

bafanguy
17th Oct 2022, 16:18
As an afterthought, check on Spirit Airlines too. I think they've hired some people on visas.

MaverickPrime
20th Oct 2022, 20:16
Thanks bafanguy, upon further research I’ve discovered that the right to work on a H4 visa is a contentious issue and may or may not be revoked depending on which administration is in the White House.

I think a visit to the recruitment tent at Oshkosh might be an idea…

bafanguy
20th Oct 2022, 22:31
MaverickPrime,

Yes, face-to-face with the appropriate people is usually best. But email contact with recruiters may answer some questions.

Face to face can be complicated to pull off.

bafanguy
16th Nov 2022, 07:59
Piedmont's latest offer to DECs and near DECs:

https://airwaysmag.com/piedmont-airlines-up-front-pilot-bonus/

bafanguy
18th Nov 2022, 22:38
Not exactly a regional thing but you get the idea. Quite the tangled web they're weaving:

https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/business-aviation/2022-11-18/wheels-mag-aerospace-create-shared-pilot-pipeline

bafanguy
20th Dec 2022, 16:25
A bit more on Skywest's new Part 135 operation. I've not seen any mention of F/Os for this venture:

https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/view/id/17871.html

bafanguy
26th Jan 2023, 21:23
The latest news from UAL concerning their headhunting. Okay, I goofed. I intended for this to be in the legacy headhunting thread. Not sure what happened. But, these people will head to a regional, so...

https://airwaysmag.com/united-first-graduates-flight-academy/

bafanguy
2nd Feb 2023, 21:27
The latest from PSA, the AA wholly-owned regional:

https://simpleflying.com/psa-extends-hiring-incentives-new-pilots/

bafanguy
7th Feb 2023, 16:53
The latest offering for DECs from Mesa Airlines. The claim that one is "eligible" to flow to UAL after two years may be something different from when one actually flows. I don't see anything saying they take visa holders but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't ?:

https://www.mesa-air.com/direct-entry-captain

bafanguy
21st Mar 2023, 22:56
Couldn't find another place for this although I'm not sure it fits here. Delta starting its own "pilot academy". But giving students $20K doesn't cover the cost...amusing:

https://news.delta.com/delta-launches-propel-flight-academy-train-next-generation-airline-pilots

bafanguy
4th Apr 2023, 08:24
I guess this might be a slight inducement to go to Silver ?:

"Silver Airways, a Fort Lauderdale-based airline, has established a partnership with Air Transport International in Wilmington, Ohio, to provide a career pathway for Silver Airways pilots to land in an ATI flight deck."

https://www.airtransport.cc/news/air-transport-international-establishes-pilot-career-path-program-silver-airways

kozachok
5th Apr 2023, 08:50
Мы летали вместе много раз, и я помню, что он был женат на Ли.

Posts in this Forum must be in English.

Translated: "We flew together many times and I remember that he was married to Lee."

bafanguy
7th Apr 2023, 21:41
Мы летали вместе много раз, и я помню, что он был женат на Ли.

Posts in this Forum must be in English.

Translated: "We flew together many times and I remember that he was married to Lee."

So, did he fly for a regional ?

bafanguy
1st Jun 2023, 19:06
Interesting:

"He explained his 18 to 24 months estimation accounts for the imbalance between the number of captains flowing out of the regional airlines to the mainlines. (https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2022/03/24/a-pilot-shortage-has-haunted-airlines-for-decades-what-does-it-mean-now-that-its-finally-here/)"

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2023/06/01/american-airlines-ceo-says-it-cant-deploy-150-regional-jets-because-of-pilot-shortage/

bafanguy
4th Nov 2023, 12:06
I guess this is regional head hunting ? I'm not even sure I understand it completely. US regional, PSA, is trying to recruit Fed Ex pilots as DECs...who then can flow from PSA at some point to AA ? If so, wow !!

https://psaairlines.com/fedex-pilots