PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft lost at airshow in Yogyakarta

WingNut60
20th Dec 2015, 08:29
SMH reporting :

An Indonesian fighter jet taking part in an aerobatic show has crashed and burst into flames, killing two pilots.
No one on the ground was injured.
The KAI T-50 Golden Eagle, a US-South Korean-made light attack aircraft, spun out of control on Sunday

Trash 'n' Navs
20th Dec 2015, 09:42
More from Associated Press:

Fighter jet crashes at Indonesian air show

An Indonesian fighter jet taking part in an aerobatic show has crashed and burst into flames, killing two pilots.

No one on the ground was injured.

The KAI T-50 Golden Eagle, a US-South Korean-made light attack aircraft, spun out of control on Sunday.

It crashed into an air force base complex near Adi Sutjipto Airport in Yogyakarta, a tourist destination city on the main island of Java, a witness, Jawardi, said.

The crash occurred on the second day of the air show that is celebrating the 70th anniversary of the Air Force Flight School in Yogyakarta, Air Vice-Marshal Dwi Badarmanto, an air force spokesman, said.

The pilot and co-pilot - both Indonesians - died instantly, and an investigation team has been sent to the crash site, he said.

TV showed plumes of black smoke billowing from the wreckage as the plane burst into flames.

The trainer aircraft is one of 16 similar models bought by the Indonesian Air Force last year.

AP

DIBO
20th Dec 2015, 11:20
One again an aerobatic manoeuvre completed too low, too late??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWDUhTHzqpw&feature=player_detailpage#t=239

Machinbird
20th Dec 2015, 19:41
Wikipedia has a pretty comprehensive information package on the T-50A here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAI_T-50_Golden_Eagle. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KAI_T-50_Golden_Eagle)
Among the salient data are: It has a triple channel FBW flight control system and is supersonic.

To me, it looked like a rolling departure from controlled flight with recovery too late to avoid hitting the ground.

captplaystation
20th Dec 2015, 19:51
Why no ejection, couldn't they have seen it wasn't on a few seconds before impact ?

peekay4
20th Dec 2015, 20:29
Looks like the engine might have flamed out around the 3:46s mark in this video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYozlHYAxCc&feature=youtu.be&t=3m44s

Machinbird
20th Dec 2015, 21:35
Looks like the engine might have flamed out around the 3:46s mark in this video?
I don't agree. Maybe the wingtip smoke/fuel dump was deselected. In any case he appeared to be committed to a crash by then.

gums
20th Dec 2015, 21:49
The vertical rolling maneuver was part of original Viper demo and that sucker, the T-50, has a lot of chromosomes from it.

You point nose down at slow speed and pull back to get 25 - 30 degrees AoA and then right/left stick ( roll command). The computers roll you around the plane's cee gee and at first it looks like a spin. I demontrated this to all my studs back then. The Raptor does a similar maneuver during its demos. Looks like the T-50 has an AoA limiter about like the Viper, maybe a bit more.

They did one roll too many and didn't have the smash to pull out. You can pull 50 degrees AoA like that Hunter did, but you are not changing your flight path all that much.

ULMFlyer
20th Dec 2015, 22:19
I hate to be the one posting after gums, but maybe peekay is referencing a brief flash you see at 3:46, indicating a surge/stall?

Machinbird
21st Dec 2015, 00:44
I hate to be the one posting after gums, but maybe peekay is referencing a brief flash you see at 3:46, indicating a surge/stall?There is a flash at that time for sure, but what about an AB transient?
The old J-79 would sometimes snort and recover while going into burner if you aggravated it too badly. The F404 engine is much newer, but considering the high AOA you could get a bang as the engine transitions.

peekay4
21st Dec 2015, 00:50
Admittedly the video is such low resolution (240p) even in slow-mo I can't really make out what that "flash" really is... could be anything I guess (might not even be a flash at all).

gums
22nd Dec 2015, 22:15
It was no flash from the motor that resulted in the impact. It was one too many rolls before establishing a healthy pull at a healthy AoA and healthy speed.

Sheesh.

I saw too many of these over the years, and one by a very good pilot that went a "bit too far". Got the HUD video here and you don't see the sage brush until about 2 econds before the tape goes Bzzzzzzzrrrrp.