PDA

View Full Version : Seven year itch....

Duchess_Driver
29th Sep 2015, 23:52
Searched the forums but can't find what I thought was there....

Somebody has presented with an IR on a JAA licence that expired 31/10/2008. They wish to renew their MEP and IR. Those good at math will note the 7 years is up next month. Let's say they've been playing in the sand pit with a "non-EASA" (but ICAO) licence with an IR attached.

They've not flown MEP for a while and accept the "full course" may be necessary, but with that and some re-tread for the IR, time is going to be tight.

I thought there was a get-out but all I can find at the moment is reference to PART-FCL IRs and the 7 year period.

Any comments/pointers or am I dreaming?

I have yet to complete a training assessment , so it may yet all turn out to be academic anyway!

ifitaintboeing
30th Sep 2015, 06:23
The UK CAA has adopted a derogation such that where a pilot holds or has held an Instrument Rating issued by a third country and that rating is compliant with Annex I to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, the applicability of FCL.625 IR(c) and (d) may be based on the validity dates of the Instrument Rating of that other country.

CAP 804, Section 4, Part G, Subpart 1, page 4/5.

ifitaint...

Whopity
30th Sep 2015, 07:20
Whatever happened to the concept of Competency Based Training; find out what they can and can't do, then make good the difference? Of course that went out with the old CAA!

Duchess_Driver
30th Sep 2015, 08:51
Quote:

The UK CAA has adopted a derogation such that where a pilot holds or has held an Instrument Rating issued by a third country and that rating is compliant with Annex I to the Convention on International Civil Aviation, the applicability of FCL.625 IR(c) and (d) may be based on the validity dates of the Instrument Rating of that other country.
CAP 804, Section 4, Part G, Subpart 1, page 4/5.

ifitaint...

And yet the CAA Renewal form clearly refers to a PART-FCL IR and the 7 year requirement!

Unfortunately this isn't the UK CAA so I now need to look at the appropriate competent authority for their derogations/policy.

Whatever happened to the concept of Competency Based Training; find out what they can and can't do, then make good the difference? Of course that went out with the old CAA!

Far too sensible an approach.... it'll never catch on!

Thanks

ifitaintboeing
1st Oct 2015, 08:39
Whilst it is currently a UK CAA derogation, EASA have included it in NPA 2014-29 within an amended FCL.625 so in any case, assuming it is adopted, will be applicable across all EASA states soon.

ifitaint...

1st Oct 2015, 19:28
An IR-SE renewal is cheap, is a good training anyway, and solves the problem.

airman24
4th Oct 2015, 13:50
Does anyone recommend a reasonable Citation III/VI/VII type?
looking for a type rating.

Thanks