PDA

View Full Version : Airberlin A321 has wing "punctured" by rubber from tire

forsrm
22nd Sep 2015, 09:06
Airberlin A321 from EDDL to LGKO had to divert in Munich after some rubber from the wheels became detached during T/O and supposedly created a visible hole in a wing.

In german for now:

Mit 178 Menschen an Bord: Loch in der Tragfläche: Air-Berlin-Maschine muss in München notlanden - Fliegen - FOCUS Online - Nachrichten (http://www.focus.de/reisen/flug/air-berlin-maschine-mit-171-passagieren-loch-in-der-tragflaeche-passagierflugzeug-muss-in-muenchen-notlanden_id_4963525.html)

tubby linton
22nd Sep 2015, 09:35
There are some better photos on Bild.
Airberlin-Airbus A321 muss wegen Loch im Flügel notlanden - News Inland - Bild.de (http://www.bild.de/news/inland/air-berlin/notlandung-wegen-loch-im-fluegel-42667126.bild.html)

Hotel Tango
22nd Sep 2015, 10:04
I see from the first link that the German press is as particular about accuracy as the British press! They identify the aircraft as an Airbus A320 and publish a photo of a B737-800. The photo on the second link would indicate an Airbus A321 to me by the way. Well, at least they got the airline right!

Jockel76
22nd Sep 2015, 10:16
To be fair, the text says symbol picture.

Sky Wave
22nd Sep 2015, 11:40
Wow

surely that went through the fuel tank?

SW

safetyspy1971
22nd Sep 2015, 11:52
Judging by the image, which TBH is not the best it apears to have impacted through the wheel well and then upward further through the falsework which is aft of the rear spar, hence not part of fuel tank. The subject wing panel is made from composite with a upper/external surface of aluminium. Nowhere near the structural intergrity or resistance to impact of the typical wing skin make up.

N1 Vibes
22nd Sep 2015, 12:06
Sky Wave, I agree with safetyspys comment - this looks to be to the rear of the fuel tank.

Sky Wave
22nd Sep 2015, 12:19
Ah, didn't look at the second photo.

I think the fuel tank starts at the black line.

SW

Volume
22nd Sep 2015, 12:26
through the falsework I think that is Boeing terminology. Airbus calls that area Shroud Box.

gcal
22nd Sep 2015, 12:43
Of course and shrouds don't have pockets - of fuel ;)

safetyspy1971
22nd Sep 2015, 13:17
In my experience (25yrs) on all types that area of the wing is considered falsework. Maybe thats peculiar to the facilities i have worked in.

For info AMM 57-00-00-12 denotes the shroud box to be the area aft of the wheel well where the leading edge of the inbd flap nestles when in the retracted position.

Union Jack
22nd Sep 2015, 13:25
Shades of the French Concorde at CDG.....

Jack

susier
22nd Sep 2015, 14:06
Accident: Air Berlin A321 at Dusseldorf on Sep 19th 2015, burst tyre on takeoff, debris punctures wing
By Simon Hradecky, created Tuesday, Sep 22nd 2015 13:44Z, last updated Tuesday, Sep 22nd 2015 13:44Z

An Air Berlin Airbus A321-200, registration D-ABCK performing flight AB-3156 from Dusseldorf (Germany) to Kos (Greece) with 171 passengers and 7 crew, departed Dusseldorf's runway 23L and was climbing out of Dusseldorf when tyre debris was found on the runway. The crew of D-ABCK was informed about the debris, stopped the climb at FL270, descended the aircraft to FL100 and diverted to Munich (Germany) for a safe landing about 70 minutes after departure. Passengers observed a hole in the upper surface of the right hand wing.

Air Berlin confirmed that parts of the tyre separated during departure from Dusseldorf which damaged the wing.

Germany's BFU opened an investigation into the occurrence.

A replacement Airbus A321-200 registration D-ABCQ reached Kos with a delay of 8.5 hours.

Sober Lark
22nd Sep 2015, 14:36
When the passengers saw that hole in the wing were they (a) hoping the skill of the crew would get them down safely or (b) delighted they will qualify for Flight Delay Compensation?

safetyspy1971
22nd Sep 2015, 14:45
C. All of the above!

oleostrut
22nd Sep 2015, 15:18
From the photo, there appears to be a previous repair in that area. Not the first such damage on that AC?

Better to punch a hole there than to FOD an engine on rotation as can happen with a DC9/MD80 shedding a tire.

lomapaseo
22nd Sep 2015, 16:25
Better to punch a hole there than to FOD an engine on rotation as can happen with a DC9/MD80 shedding a tire.

it can happen to wing mounted engines as well, just bounce off the tarmac at the right point of tyre rotation.

wanabee777
22nd Sep 2015, 18:11
Was the tire a retread??

SeenItAll
22nd Sep 2015, 18:57
Given that airliner tires or tyres are generally retreaded between 5 and 7 times over the life of the carcass, it is a pretty good bet that this tyre or tire had been retreaded. But note, airliner retreads should be roughly as safe as new ones. These aren't truck tires that were retreaded in the back of Uncle Eddie's garage and which you see the leavings of spewed across our high speed roadways.

ShotOne
22nd Sep 2015, 19:00
It's normal for aircraft tyres to be retreaded multiple times, wannabe. Counterintuitively, it's actually safer; if a tyre is going to delaminate it is most likely the first time it comes under load.

I've had the pleasure of suffering a tyre burst on an A320. There were multiple punctures in flap and fairing, and at first glance it looked terrible. On closer inspection, the fuel tank is protected by (Kevlar I think?) armour which completely protected everything important.

wanabee777
22nd Sep 2015, 21:45
What is the maximum number of times that an aircraft tire can legally or safely be retreaded??

peekay4
22nd Sep 2015, 23:06
What is the maximum number of times that an aircraft tire can legally or safely be retreaded??

There is no set limit, as long as the casing is still in good condition. Every tire is individually tested and must meet or exceed tire performance standards.

wanabee777
23rd Sep 2015, 00:41
peekay4:

There is no set limit, as long as the casing is still in good condition. Every tire is individually tested and must meet or exceed tire performance standards.

Thanks peekay4!

Gordomac
23rd Sep 2015, 15:38
Scenario thrown at Capt upgrades by "Examiners" rather than "Trainers"hell-bent on enjoying "failing" rather than "training" in a company I once graced with my employment. Gap between V1 & Vr was loved by these bully boys who would throw the tyre shred,bits hit the underwing, wobbling about all over the place, airborne, raise the gear but "bits" rupture all sorts of things in the wheelbay. FUN ! Sit back & watch unsuspecting junior fall to bits. Bort, as we say in the North, it, kinda, focused. Of course I failed. But then, was not ex RAF, didn't like boats and kept both trouser legs at ankle level. Hand-shake (?) nah, used to go for the kiss on both cheeks !

A4
24th Sep 2015, 06:54
@Gordo

Bit of a axe to grind? "Unsuspecting junior" on a Command upgrade?

A tyre disintegration with flap jam, hydraulic loss, overweight and reduced stopping ability sounds like an excellent challenge for a trainee skipper to me. A plausible failure to occur in the real world.

A4

Gordomac
25th Sep 2015, 11:42
A4 ; Just to clarify ; "Unsuspecting Junior" was meant to refer to junior in the Command sphere. My first upgrade was with 3800 hrs total. Requirement was 5000 but in exceptional circumstances waas reduced to 4000. Starting the course with 3800 considered to tick the box but I had ZERO command experience. Hence "Junior". Interesting that you refer to "Trainee" Captain. At last, what I fought for for years. "Trainee" was not understood by the Trappers Dept in the company I referred to (not named). Testees by Trappers would be more accurate. Expecting "training" but being subjected to "testing" produced carnage healthily enjoyed by the bully-boys.

Years later in a National Carrier, Training Dept was exactly that and awesome. "Selection" for Command upgrade was formidable but those through that hoop were provided with quite exceptional "training" and the end-product, "Junior " Captains, were admirable.

Gary Lager
25th Sep 2015, 14:53
It depends on how it was handled, of course, but I can't help but agree with A4 that a tyre burst followed by systems damage (hyd/fuel leak, gear extension problems) is not an unreasonable scenario to expect new Captains or those under selection to cope with. The crew of the A321 in question seemed to have coped OK without 'falling to bits'.

It could even be argued that this scenario is probably more plausible than the more usual 'you've lost all your Hyd fluid for no apparent reason'.

I had zero command experience when I got my first command too, I expect there may be others like us.