PDA

View Full Version : LFPG TWR : Landing Clearances

Vanxup
23rd Aug 2015, 13:58
Hi everyone, I'm a trainee ATC at Paris CDG.

I'd like to collect some pilots feeling about the way we clear to land in Roissy, that is to say our beloved message : "n°3, 4NM behind a 320, cleared to land". (only used with great visibility and ceiling)

It's extremely convinient for us. And there is always time for a last second "go around", rather than always waiting for a last second "cleared to land". But how do you pilots feel about that ? Is it easier or are you more concerned about your safety ?

We noticed that sometimes, pilots ask at 1NM from touch "confirm we are cleared to land ?" It's understandable but it adds a lot to our busy frequencies that we wanted to free with these early clearances.

On additional note, do you know other airports using this phraseology ? I'd be curious to know.

Thanks

babotika
30th Aug 2015, 00:09
CDG is the only European airport to which I've flown to use it the way it's used - as an early landing clearance. Some UK airports will use "land after" but the separation is then up to the pilots (I think?)

The procedure was quite common when I flew in the U.S. about 10 years ago, and I know some Canadian airports use it the way CDG does as well.

I'm based in CDG and don't mind it, saves the low-level last minute landing clearance which may well be stepped on by a certain airline and its interminable initial calls, but I see how some crews who may not expect it can get spooked.

vector4fun
1st Sep 2015, 01:59
Did it for 31 years over here in the States. Seldom a problem. Over here, the pilots chip if they *haven't* been told "#2 cleared to land" by the time they are on 2 mile final. Main thing is no surprises and everybody knows their sequence.

Obviously, it only works over here because I'm extremely lucky and the pilots were extremely skillful. ;)