PDA

View Full Version : ELP for Student First Solo

14th Apr 2015, 21:23
Does a Student need to hold an ELP before first solo? Is this stated in Part-Fcl? cant find it

dobbin1
14th Apr 2015, 22:15
I hope not. We certainly do not require it pre-solo. It would be a bit of a faff if it was a requirement.

Whopity
15th Apr 2015, 06:39
FCL.055 Language proficiency
(a) General. Aeroplane, helicopter, powered-lift and airship pilots required to use the radio telephone shall not exercise the privileges of their licences and ratings unless they have a language proficiency endorsement on their licence in either English or the language used for radio communications involved in the flight. The endorsement shall indicate the language, the proficiency level and the validity date. A student does not hold a licence or rating!

BillieBob
15th Apr 2015, 08:42
As Whopity points out, an ELP endorsement in the licence is required only if the pilot is required to use the radio telephone. It is not even a pre-requisite for licence issue, let alone first solo.

15th Apr 2015, 09:49
The IAA (Irish Aviation Authority) appear to require a student to have an ELP before first solo. Does the CAA have this requirement?

Duchess_Driver
15th Apr 2015, 11:22
@1968...

Where does it state that? The old Irish Student Pilots Licence no longer exists and therefore, I am curious as to where this requirement is stated.

Again, PART-FCL makes no reference to ELP pre solo... In Ireland, the UK or elsewhere. Are the IAA gold plating?

16th Apr 2015, 01:45
Yes, IAA require it. I have just gone back instructing after 4yrs, when I last instructed in 2011 I think an elp 4 was automatically issued with the students licence and the elp 6 when the PPL was issued after the flight test. Now students have to take an elp test before their first solo even if they are native English speakers, Ridiculous.It isnt stated as a requirement in part fcl.

Duchess_Driver
16th Apr 2015, 10:47
Certainly an instructor has an obligation to ensure that the student can understand/be understood on the RT before being let loose, but my question still stands....where IS it stated?

Whilst I agree in principle it is a good idea, you should understand by now what is a good idea doesn't always become/make it law.

16th Apr 2015, 11:06
Can someone state for definite whether or not the CAA require the Student to have an elp cert before first solo?

BillieBob
16th Apr 2015, 15:59
From the UK CAA website page "Initial Application for a PPL(A) Licence":
Additional Requirements

Your medical records must be held by the UK CAA and you must hold a valid UK issued EASA Class 2 Medical Certificate.
You must have a current and valid Language Proficiency level acceptable to the UK CAA. This is only required for Flight Radio Telephony Operators Licence (FRTOL) or for Instrument Rating (IR) (my emphasis)If ELP is not required for licence issue it certainly cannot be required for first solo!

Trevor Farmer
24th Apr 2015, 21:07
If you care to telephone the IAA you will be advised that the previous requirement no longer applies.
ELP is assessed during the Flight Test unless the candidate has previously chosen to undertake a ground test. This might occur where the candidates preferred Examiner is not entitled to assess for the ELP.