PDA

View Full Version : IR(A) pre requirements

fernandouk
14th Apr 2015, 14:45
Hi everyone,

Once again, I would like to ask for your help as I can't find an answer.

- Can a PPL holder + night rating study for a IR(A)?
- If so, does a PPL holder need a Class 1 med or all he/she needs is a Class 2 + Audio extension?

I am currently studying for a PPL and would love to do a IR(A) but not sure I can do it without going the CPL away, which I don't need.

Many thanks!

Pete O'Tewbe
14th Apr 2015, 15:04
From Annex I of the Aircrew Regulation:

FCL.600 IR — General

Operations under IFR on an aeroplane, helicopter, airship or powered-lift aircraft shall only be conducted by holders of a PPL, CPL, MPL and ATPL with an IR appropriate to the category of aircraft or when undergoing skill testing or dual instruction.

From Annex IV:

MED.A.030 Medical certificates

(a) [..]

(b) [..]

(c) Applicants for and holders of a private pilot licence (PPL), a sailplane pilot licence (SPL), or a balloon pilot licence (BPL) shall hold at least a Class 2 medical certificate.

(d) [..]

(e) [..]

(f) [..]

(g) If an instrument rating is added to a PPL, the licence holder shall undertake pure tone audiometry examinations in accordance with the periodicity and the standard required for Class 1 medical certificate holders.

fernandouk
14th Apr 2015, 15:16
Thank you Peter!

150 Driver
14th Apr 2015, 22:55
As a prospective ppl would recommend IRR first, it is cheaper, needs class 2 only.

Only valid in the UK though which might not work for you ?

Cusco
14th Apr 2015, 23:11
Do the IR(R): only needs Class 2 medical and no audiogram.

If you subsequently decide you want to fly IR in airways and in Europe, you can do the 7 TK CBM IR exams and get flight time credit towards a CBM IR.