PDA

View Full Version : Flight Examiners Seminar?

Mach Jump
21st Feb 2015, 13:53
As if this job wasn't complicated and expensive enough already, it seems that, as well as a Flight Test, I now have to attend a two day Examiners' Seminar before I can re-validate my Examiner's Authority! :*

Anyone know where I can find one of these in the next 2 months?

MJ:ok:

4Screwaircrew
21st Feb 2015, 14:09
PAT at Bournemouth are running one early in April.

Mach Jump
21st Feb 2015, 14:59
Thanks 4screw, It's a bit of a trek from Yorkshire, but I'll look into that.

Spunk
21st Feb 2015, 16:35
Doesn't your Authority provide an online seminar? In Germany you can do it online and take the required test at the end. You have all the time in the world to read the seminar and the test only takes 30 minutes plus there is a lot of useful information.
And it is for free:D

Pete O'Tewbe
21st Feb 2015, 17:08
Spunk

I'm intrigued by your post regarding the LBA offering an online seminar. Can you provide a link as to where this can be accessed?

Whopity
21st Feb 2015, 17:53
Anyone know where I can find one of these in the next 2 months?
Ontrack on Wednesday 25 Feb and its only one day and no test!

Spunk
21st Feb 2015, 18:02
Dear Pete,

so far it is only for German Examiners. You have to register with the so called ILIAS system first.
ILIAS (https://www.lernplattform-bakoev.bund.de/login.php?target=&soap_pw=&ext_uid=&cookies=nocookies&client_id=LBAMT&lang=de)
If you need more information you might want to contact Mr. Fleischer (administrator of ILIAS) at the LBA: [email protected]

madlandrover
21st Feb 2015, 19:40
Central Flight Training (http://www.centralflighttraining.com/flight-examiner-seminar/) also offer them at Tatenhill, dates by arrangement.

mrmum
21st Feb 2015, 21:56
I'm going to On-Track at Wellesbourne next Wednesday, just one day for the examiner seminar, the two day seminars are for the FI rating renewal or re validation.
I did the instructor seminar with them a few years ago and it was much better than I was expecting, quite useful, mostly interesting and I did actually learn a few things, hope the examiner one will be the same.
It costs £160, plus travel, possibly accommodation and a non-earning day of course 😖 so need to do a couple or three tests just to cover those.
Register and pay here if you're able to make it on Wednesday.

Flying Training|Instructor|Examiner|Formation|CPL|Aerobatics (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/fe-seminars.html)

There's also Pooley's at Shoreham on 18th March, but that's a bit of a hike from up North, I thought Wellesbourne was far enough to go.

Mach Jump
22nd Feb 2015, 00:46
Thanks for the pointers, everyone. I've booked the On Track one next wed.

BEagle
22nd Feb 2015, 07:05
My estimate of the additional cost of FE seminars for PPL/FIs is around £500...

In addition to the seminar fee, you have to factor in:

- Travel
- Overnight accommodation
- Subsistence (apart from at the seminar)
- Loss of earning

Wasn't it all so much easier under the old 'BX' examiner system.....

Whopity
22nd Feb 2015, 09:44
The next problem will be finding a Senior Examiner, since the privileges were split from the FIE with yet more expense, most are giving up!

Mach Jump
22nd Feb 2015, 10:09
The next problem will be finding a Senior Examiner, since the privileges were split from the FIE with yet more expense, most are giving up!

The problem will soon be finding any kind of Examiner at all.

I don't really know why I'm renewing it, beyond not wanting to let anything lapse.

I almost never get asked to do any tests now, as I once failed someone, and it's the examiners who are seen as the easiest touch who get to do all the tests.

mrmum
22nd Feb 2015, 17:05
MJ
Have you read your joining instructions from OnTrack yet? You need to (should?) take 2 examiner report forms from test where you haven't passed the candidate. Could be a bit tricky that one, I had to spend a bit of time this afternoon, going back through my records to find a couple, good job it had turned wet and windy.
I hear from someone who has recently done an initial FE course, that you're positively encouraged to have a healthy failure rate nowadays!

Whopity,
Is there a list of senior examiners somewhere who can do the flight test for the FE revalidation/renewal?

Whopity
22nd Feb 2015, 18:59
I was wondering that, there should be but I can't find one anywhere!

mrmum
22nd Feb 2015, 20:11
Maybe they'll be able to tell us at the seminar? Hopefully.

Mach Jump
22nd Feb 2015, 21:37
You need to (should?) take 2 examiner report forms from test where you haven't passed the candidate.

I think it's just to show you can fill in the forms for a partial, and a fail. Don't worry. I don't think you have to have actually failed someone.

Linda Mollison
23rd Feb 2015, 08:12
The examiner seminars are not actually run by PAT; they are run by our sister company Flight Examiner Training, sometimes at our premises, sometimes elsewhere.

And yes, they are one day and no test, next one 27th March.

Linda Mollison

Mach Jump
25th Feb 2015, 20:03
Although a bit fed up to find that yet another expensive, and time consuming requirement had been added to the list of things with which we are required to comply, I just got back from sharing a very useful and worthwhile day at Wellesbourne (OnTrack).

Nice to see a few 'PPRuners' there, and a few others I hadn't met for a while.

For those just realising that they need to do a Seminar to Renew/Revalidate their Examiner Authority, I can recommend a day there.

mrmum
25th Feb 2015, 21:38
We were told at the seminar at On Track today that all current FIEs, of which there about 40 apparently, have been designated as senior examiners. So, you should be able to do your FE AoC with pretty much any of them. Although, when they have to pay for it next time around, some may choose not to.

There is no list, even though EASA says the CAA are meant to produce one, due to data protection legislation and the authority not getting it's finger out and getting consent to publish from all the FIEs.

I'd agree with MJ, another expensive EASA hoop to jump through, but at least this one was useful and I did learn a few things.

S-Works
26th Feb 2015, 07:49
The problem for people like me with multiple examiner ratings is still having to do the revalidation with a Staff Examiner. My FE gets done at the same time as the CRE and it's not cheap! I don't see why a Senior Examiner can't do the CRE as well.

ifitaintboeing
26th Feb 2015, 10:52
In the UK at the moment, Senior Examiners can currently conduct CRE(VFR) AoCs but only CAA Staff Examiners currently conduct the CRE/IRR AoCs. I understand this is under review to allow suitably qualified SEs to conduct the CRE/IRR AoC also...

ifitaint...

S-Works
26th Feb 2015, 12:08
I have single pilot Type Ratings in there as well which the CAA seem to want to keep control of the Examiner renewals for as well.

Mach Jump
6th Mar 2015, 12:35
I'd agree with MJ, another expensive EASA hoop to jump through, but at least this one was useful and I did learn a few things.

Mrmum: Did we share the 'Bad boys' table on the left at the front? ;)

mrmum
7th Mar 2015, 03:47
No, I was at the back with all the ex-mil guys