PDA

View Full Version : SEP Renewal

jadalabada
26th Dec 2014, 15:12
Hi folks,

November 2015, my EASA SEP class rating expires. No worries, you have plenty of time to do the minimum 12 hrs + 12 take-offs/landings, you say (plus the 1 hr with a CRI/FI). And you are right. The thing is I might not be able to afford 12 hrs in a C172 next year (I will earn next to nothing).

The good news is that I will be flying a lot as copilot on a turboprop. So my question is: If I let my SEP expire, what will I have to do when I eventually want to fly that C172 again? Is it a full skill test? And if I do, after all, decide to fly 12 hrs and revalidate my SEP, does all the 12 hrs have to be in a SEP, or can I count any of the multi-pilot hrs I do in the big one?

Genghis the Engineer
26th Dec 2014, 15:38
Training as required (realistically, an hour with a current SEP instructor if you're that current on the turboprop), then a proficiency check.

The PC is officially not a full skill test, in practice the differences are trivial, so you may as well regard it as being one.

The requirement is 12 hours, of which 6 must be PiC and 1 with an instructor; the instructor hour can be for any purpose. But for you, it sounds like the PC is by far the cheaper option.

G

tmmorris
27th Dec 2014, 06:34
AIUI I'm afraid that yes, the 12 hours must be SEP. (Some complications with SLMG which I don't understand...)

VP-F__
27th Dec 2014, 11:36
don't forget that your routine OPC on the turboprop will count in place of the hour under instruction.

Your cheapest method of keeping your SEP current would be a annual skills check probably.

chrisbl
27th Dec 2014, 20:17
f you cannot afford to do the 12 hours do a couple of hours with an instructor ( you need to at least one anyway) and do the proficiency check with an examiner. Trying to do the 12 hours is madness.

Whopity
28th Dec 2014, 11:56
The PC is officially not a full skill test,The confusion is between a Licence Issue Skill Test (only ever completed once) and a Proificiency Check used for revalidation and renewal which is shorter than the Issue Test.
(Some complications with SLMG which I don't understand...) No complication, SEP and TMG hours are interchangeable not SLMG!
f you cannot afford to do the 12 hours do a couple of hours with an instructor (you need to at least one anyway)No you do not, all that is required is a PC with an Examiner!

Mach Jump
28th Dec 2014, 12:50
Don't forget that any retraining you need to do has to be with an RF/ATO and the CFI/HoT must issue you with a Course Completion Certificate before you can do the PC with an Examiner,

MJ:ok:

Whopity
30th Dec 2014, 19:22
And even if you don't do any retraining; you still need a Course Completion Certififcate issued by a ATO/RF showing no training conducted!

annita
31st Jan 2015, 10:14
In case or renewal , is it a requirement to send the Course Completion Certificate
and examiners report to the CAA?

Whopity
31st Jan 2015, 14:31
In case or renewal , is it a requirement to send the Course Completion Certificate
and examiners report to the CAA? Yes, all such reports go to the CAA however; so long as the rating is in the licence, the examiner can sign it and there is nothing to pay the CAA.