PDA

View Full Version : EK Resignation Tips

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

ClearanceClarence1
7th Mar 2018, 10:29
Our container arrived today in Aus and was unpacked. Freightworks were great.
Qantas are looking for over 200 pilots this year and they value the EK pilots experience.
Cheers

Yorkshire_Pudding
12th Mar 2018, 06:34
Does anyone have any recent experience of shipping pets with sky cargo back home.

I’ve been quoted 27k dhs for 2 dogs back to the UK however most of this is for the airway bill preparation as the crates are too big to be classed as excess baggage. I’ve heard of people shipping to Paris as a way around the AWB issue and collecting by car.

Does anyone know the current discount to Ek staff for sky cargo shipping? Thanks

givemewings
12th Mar 2018, 10:42
Pudding,

You can get a cargo quote via Trips, in the menu click Cargo concessions. It's not super duper exact, but pretty close. Otherwise the guy at the desk in HQ B side can help you work it out (not sure if that includes pets, but he can definitely tell you and was pretty helpful for me when I was sending personal boxes outside of my repat allowances. Be aware that animals can only go to certain airports in the Uk though

Captain Sham
12th Mar 2018, 18:55
If you’re using a confirmed ticket you can take a pet with you as extra baggage. You’ll have to handle the paperwork yourself. All in it cost us 2800dhs including vet fees. Call sky cargo, it’ll take some effort but well worth it in the end. Good luck...

Dropp the Pilot
13th Mar 2018, 17:30
We used British Veterinary Hospital on Beach Road. The price esacapes me just now but it was well worth it. They collected the dog from our Dubai home and he was personally delivered to the destination residence. Slick, professional and trouble free and I believe there was an EK discount.

The chaps name was Pushkal in the event he is still there.

Trader
13th Mar 2018, 21:34
It is easy to ship the dogs yourself as extra baggage on your return flight. You need the Pet Passport and paperwork from your vet. Take that to Cargo Village - Dubai Vet who checks your dogs chip and paperwork and produces the export paperwork.

The trick is to make sure Ek knows you are bringing the dogs. Call them in advance (at least 7 days). Drop them off as you check in (go a bit earlier than normal).

givemewings
14th Mar 2018, 06:46
Seems that YP has already checked and cannot send them as baggage due to the crate size, only as cargo

tripleslavin
14th Mar 2018, 09:29
UK and Ireland won't accept pets as baggage, has to be cargo. So depends on the destination.

CorrectSensing
28th Apr 2018, 09:12
Has anyone transferred there maids visa to another family in emirates? Just want to know what I need to do to get my 2000 DHS back...?

CorrectSensing
29th Apr 2018, 06:15
Another question I have regarding the US Visa. My new employer needs me to keep my US Visa. Do emirates cancel that visa too? Or is it kept on your passport and only the UAE visa cancelled?

thanks in advance

CS

DuneMentat
29th Apr 2018, 09:28
Your C1/D visa is only valid for Emirates Airlines so you will need to reapply with your new employer. If you have a B1/B2 (tourist) visa it will not be cancelled

Rhodes13
29th Apr 2018, 13:05
Your C1/D visa is only valid for Emirates Airlines so you will need to reapply with your new employer. If you have a B1/B2 (tourist) visa it will not be cancelled

Not strictly true DuneMentat. If the annotation field on your crew visa is blank then you can use it for another carrier. However if it is annotated with Emirates Airlines then yes you need a new visa.

Some of the EK crew visas have this and some don't. I had many confused looks at the US Embassy in Australia as they said they'd never seen the annotations before and I said it must be a Dubai/EK thing.

desertcamel
30th Apr 2018, 01:14

EK cancelled both my C1D and my B1B2 US visa. The B doesnt even have any Annotation about Emirates airlines. And I never knew that they would cancel it together with the UAE visa, learned it when I left the place.

Airdancer
5th Jun 2018, 10:38
Question. When you leave what will happen with your leave days? I got some planned in December and of course im accumulating days as we speak. Can we get then paid off or will they just reduce your resignation period?

dustyflightdeck
6th Jun 2018, 04:35
Anyone leave recently with partial bond owing and able to PM me with the process? :)

donpizmeov
6th Jun 2018, 20:40
Basic pay by 12. Divide by 365.

springbok449
6th Jun 2018, 21:38
Regarding the US visa, my C1/D is annotated Emirates Airlines and I use it 3 times/month to enter the US without any problems, just like I used to do with my previous C1/D when I first started to work for EK and my US visa had my previous employers name on it before it expired and nothing was mentioned either by US border control...

In order for EK to cancel that visa they would need to send your passport to the US embassy which they don’t do...

NightVMC
9th Jun 2018, 15:55
enough is enough, about to resign.
1) will they keep a specific amount from your last salary or the complete last salary?
2) how do they calculate school fees for your kids if you leave end of the year?
3) has anyone transferred the final settlement to swissquote via al rostamani? if yes, should i register my swissqoute account with al rosatamani before i start the visa cancellation process?
4) how does it work with accommondation? will they come to your location and check together with you your house and will they tell you what you can expct to pay?

thanks for quick update

pumpkin
10th Jun 2018, 15:51
enough is enough, about to resign.
1) will they keep a specific amount from your last salary or the complete last salary?
2) how do they calculate school fees for your kids if you leave end of the year?
3) has anyone transferred the final settlement to swissquote via al rostamani? if yes, should i register my swissqoute account with al rosatamani before i start the visa cancellation process?
4) how does it work with accommondation? will they come to your location and check together with you your house and will they tell you what you can expct to pay?

thanks for quick update

Re number 2. Unless it has changed ( may have), each kid each year has an invoice . EK takes a set amount off per month off your paycheck- used to be 1000 but more now I believe. The school year is considered Sept 1 to Aug 31. Depending on how much over the allowance your school fees are (if they are at all,) determines how much you owe. So say the allowance is 72500 and your school fee is 85,500 then you owe 13 k per kid per year. So for eg your 2kids started in 2015- then (in the past) would have 1000/month *2 kids = 2000 dhs deducted per month off your pay check, for 13 months. Then 2016 the next two invoices start running (so some months you will be having 4000 dhs deducted) , 2017 the same,2018 etc...
So in summer 2018 you will have 2015 and 2016 no longer being deducted, but will have 4 invoices (for 2017 and 2018) still running down. Once you resign, you will owe the remaining amount on those 4 invoices. As well , even though the school year is Sept- end of June, they consider the whole year, so if you leave on July 1, you will owe 2 months worth of the 72,500 back to the company. You can look on HR direct under the education section to see what your invoices are sitting at.
However , If your school fees fall within the allowance, then the only thing you need to worry about is the issue of owing 2 months of school fees back to the company if your Last date of service is not Aug 31. Unnecessarily complicated but who is surprised !

givemewings
19th Jun 2018, 12:16
You've answered your own question. If it's only available to encash after 3 years and you leave less than 3 years then no you can't encash it. Like any other employee it's likely a case of use it or lose it. Never mind you can never get it when you want it, it will still be your fault for not using all your leave...

givemewings
20th Jun 2018, 08:25
It's a thread about resignation, so you're actually asking about cashing in leave while still employed/not planning to resign? That's a different question.

And you'll find while labour law says one thing, they will try invoke the "it doesn't apply because we are in a free zone" argument. There are several other provisions required by UAE labour law they don't follow and this is the reason they give

donpizmeov
20th Jun 2018, 09:11
Airdancer, Wings is ex cabin crew. Hope your leaving goes smoothly.

givemewings
20th Jun 2018, 16:42
Mate? Have you seen the question I asked? "If you leave before the 3 years mark"?

'Mate'. You literally said, that your information source states that encashment is ONLY available after 3 years' service. When I suggested that this answered your question (can you encash it if leaving before 3 years?) you said it did not, I then wondered if this didn't adequately answer your question if you were not in fact asking about cashing in leave in general. Sorry if I couldn't grasp what you were actually asking from contradictory posts.

And if they sent you an email stating they will pay it, why did you ask if it will be paid out? Or was your intended question: 'Will they ACTUALLY pay it out as the email says?' (knowing full well that often they say one thing and do another)

Don is an A380 captain. See I know who people are too :}

Best of luck with the bailout. They love to make things hard, but the EOS people are actually super helpful. Every question I asked they told me the correct info. It's the other departments you have to worry about, some will follow what EOS says, others won't and you'll need to circle back to them to get the right response from whoever it is that's stalling you. Accommodation will be the 'fun' one, ;) if you're unlucky enough to have to deal with them

dustyflightdeck
28th Jun 2018, 12:16
Hi airdancer I send you a PM :)

flareflyer
10th Jul 2018, 09:01
hello gents,

I finally sent my resignation letter!!!!!!
Such a great feeling!!!!!
I know it has been discussed already but please can somebody suggest me a shipping company to ship the container back to Europe?
How much is the allowance havibg spent 14 years in the sandpit??

Thanks in advance

Flare

The Outlaw
10th Jul 2018, 11:15
hello gents,

I finally sent my resignation letter!!!!!!
Such a great feeling!!!!!
I know it has been discussed already but please can somebody suggest me a shipping company to ship the container back to Europe?
How much is the allowance havibg spent 14 years in the sandpit??

Thanks in advance

Flare

Congratulations Flare!

The amount that the company pays varies depending on which country you are moving back to, it is also based on the country you joined from. The figures are in the employee manual and easy enough to find.

I have been gone for just under 2 weeks and its only been just in the past few days where I have found my sleeping patterns begin to return to normal. I get to bed at 2200 and wake up at 0600 and sleep the whole time. I left EK with no job to go to which is not a typical move for pilots but its been well worth it. EK had sucked every last bit of enjoyment out of flying that working in a factory would be a step up.

The last 90 days can test your patience but trust me...its worth it.

flareflyer
10th Jul 2018, 13:03
Thanks for the info Outlaw. I will dig myself into that manual.........
I am moving to an other job but I am happy to continue to work.
About patience honestly i don't care very much, if they stress me i will get sick for a few weeks :}:}

SunNFun
11th Jul 2018, 17:44

Flare, here's a quick endorsement for Freight International Dubai. We've moved with them and the experience was absolutely outstanding. From the first contact to the packing and then the final Inventory report it was perfect. Highly recommended. Please contact Florin if you need a quote:

Florin Dumitru
Manager - Relocations – Dubai
P.O Box 11745
Mobile +971 52 601 3128 (tel:+971%2052%20601%203128) / 50 980 6801
Tel +971 4 325 5679 (tel:+971%204%20325%205679)
Email [email protected]
Website www.freightinternational.ae (http://www.freightinternational.ae/) <Freight International LLC in Dubai (http://www.freightinternational.ae/)

flareflyer
12th Jul 2018, 06:46
Thank you very much Sun!!!

Arcla
12th Jul 2018, 07:06
Great thread with awesome info. I’m about 6 months out and getting my ducks in a row ...

Any advice from someone whom may have left and are renting out property they own. I intend to keep my villa and rent it out after I leave.

How do you go about getting a clearance letter from the bank if you have a “salary letter” as in this case and is this possible ?

Also - what about a personal loan.

Many thanks in advance and apologies if I missed an answer in an earlier reply.

attaboy
12th Jul 2018, 13:40
I just resigned as well I also have a villa I am renting. As long as you have the money in your bank account to cover your monthly mortgage there is no problem.

I hope that helps!

Arcla
12th Jul 2018, 16:57
@ Attaboy - Okay so as long as you have the equivalent of one month mortgage down payment they will release a clearance letter? Or do they require several months worth?

Appreciate the reply!

attaboy
13th Jul 2018, 05:54
If you go to HR Direct check on your pay do you have a grantee letter or transfer letter if you have a transfer Letter you don’t need a clearance letter!
When you take your provident fund chose option 3 as i recall. The option where you get your money cash from emirates you don’t want them to transfer your money to your bank. They will take towards the loan. I have both a mortgage and a personal loan that I am paying and no longer working for EK.

Joker11
18th Jul 2018, 07:49
I am thinking ahead here. Profit share is announced in May. If your last day is the 31st of May. Are you still entitled to receive the profit share?

The Outlaw
18th Jul 2018, 11:13
I am thinking ahead here. Profit share is announced in May. If your last day is the 31st of May. Are you still entitled to receive the profit share?

Hello Joker,

I just went through the whole exit process. The profit share has traditionally been paid May 26, as long as you are on the payroll on that day then you get the profit share, its all in the employee manual. I extended my resignation to June 28 --just incase-- they delayed the payment for one one the many excuses they use for delayed rosters..IE: moon shift, Elvis sightings, alien encounter, PMS, faulty carbon pressure, blown vacuum tube (valve) in CRS, Russian interference.

I wish you the best in your choice. It has been the best choice I have made for our family.

Cheers...Outlaw

Joker11
18th Jul 2018, 12:47
Hello Joker,

I just went through the whole exit process. The profit share has traditionally been paid May 26, as long as you are on the payroll on that day then you get the profit share, its all in the employee manual. I extended my resignation to June 28 --just incase-- they delayed the payment for one one the many excuses they use for delayed rosters..IE: moon shift, Elvis sightings, alien encounter, PMS, faulty carbon pressure, blown vacuum tube (valve) in CRS, Russian interference.

I wish you the best in your choice. It has been the best choice I have made for our family.

Cheers...Outlaw

Hey Outlaw,

Thanks for the response. I am just worried they might tweak it and I don't want to lose out. I am willing to extend to 30th of June just in case. But all this depends on the job hunt of course. I am stuck here till next year due contracts (Nothing to do with EK, but personal stuff). The end is near for me.

Best wishes to you and your family and I hope you will be happy! Glad you might the right choice.

Joker.

Joker11
18th Jul 2018, 12:47
Hello Joker,

Cheers...Outlaw

Hey Outlaw,

Thanks for the response. I am just worried they might tweak it and I don't want to lose out. I am willing to extend to 30th of June just in case. But all this depends on the job hunt of course. I am stuck here till next year due contracts (Nothing to do with EK, but personal stuff). The end is near for me.

Best wishes to you and your family and I hope you will be happy! Glad you might the right choice.

Joker.

birdieonfirst
27th Jul 2018, 07:21
Gents,

I'm moving on to greener pastures shortly.
Does anyone of our recent leavers have any recommendations regarding the transfer of the Provident Fund to their home country?
I have two options:

Taking a check from Emirates. deposit it to my local bank and transfer home, or
Direct transfer from Emirates to my bank in home country.

I am partial to the second option as it is less hassle for me. Any experience in this regard? How long did the transfer directly from Emirates take, was there any issues at all etc...

Thanks!

😎 BOF

SunNFun
27th Jul 2018, 07:46
Gents,

I'm moving on to greener pastures shortly.
Does anyone of our recent leavers have any recommendations regarding the transfer of the Provident Fund to their home country?
I have two options:

Taking a check from Emirates. deposit it to my local bank and transfer home, or
Direct transfer from Emirates to my bank in home country.

I am partial to the second option as it is less hassle for me. Any experience in this regard? How long did the transfer directly from Emirates take, was there any issues at all etc...

Thanks!

😎 BOF

I did the second and it was very painless. Just add the bank account info in their website as part of the leave process and it will be send there. I'm not sure how long exactly but I think it was about two weeks or so after LDS.

attaboy
29th Jul 2018, 17:15
Hi Yorkshire,

I have left UAE. No bank knows if you left or stayed the only thing the banks are concerned about if you are making payments. Please no need to mention anything to the bank or anyone you are leaving or resigning these are your own personal affairs. They may notice after a few months that the salary does not go to your account but the banks dont care as long as you make your payments.

I hope that helps.

donpizmeov
30th Jul 2018, 00:01
I am not sure if it applies to all banks or not, but; a friend left a bit over two years, with one bank account open to service two mortgages. All was well until last month when one of the mortgage providers contacted him re non payment . On investigation he found that the dates his bank had for his UAEID and visa had expired 4 months previous . As they couldn't contact him re renewal copies, they froze his account. He is still trying to sort it out. Might be worth checking your bank wont do the same .

dubaigong
30th Jul 2018, 03:59
I had the same problem , my bank account has been frozen despite the fact that I was still in the UAE with a valid resident visa and my salary coming to my account.
Just because for some communication problems they never get the copy of my new resident visa…
So my bank account have been blocked until I met them wit my new resident visa.

SOPS
30th Jul 2018, 04:06
I could be wrong, but I think you will find that you need a current resident visa and UAE ID card to have a bank account in the UAE. So eventually, sometime after you leave and you cannot provide a new resident visa and ID ( for obvious reasons) , your accounts will be frozen.

CorrectSensing
20th Sep 2018, 09:00
hello again,

well I’ll it’s been 2 months now since leaving, and time that my rentention money was due....

and just as you you may have guessed, there is a ‘problem’ with the transfer....

I provided all the information they needed for the funds transfer when I resigned, however they are asking me for a ‘clearing code’ which I have never heard of before?

just would like to know, via PM if more appropriate, what exactly they are after? Or.... are they just trying to stall in paying me what I’m owed?

I am in the UK, and have provided them the IBAN/Swift code like normal....

anyone else had the same or similar lately?

thanks gents

CS

SOPS
20th Sep 2018, 09:26
i may be wrong, but as far as I know if you have an IBAN number you don't need a clearing code.

CorrectSensing
20th Sep 2018, 09:33
This was precisely what I told them, however they seem to be taking their sweet time coming to terms with that....

Spamcam
30th Sep 2018, 16:09
Hypothetical question, but once you have resigned is it possible to reverse it and take your resignation back?

givemewings
1st Oct 2018, 04:02
Spam, I know someone who did due to a job offer not panning out, but he was a Purser and I believe it's at the discretion of the line manager. So like anything in EK, YMMV!

Ekoldie
1st Oct 2018, 20:01
Hi Yorkshire,

I have left UAE. No bank knows if you left or stayed the only thing the banks are concerned about if you are making payments. Please no need to mention anything to the bank or anyone you are leaving or resigning these are your own personal affairs. They may notice after a few months that the salary does not go to your account but the banks dont care as long as you make your payments.

I hope that helps.
as soon as my visa was cancelled, my bank account was frozen! No loan, no credit card... only my own money which I could not access! Jumping up and down for 2 days solid before I could withdraw my money, close the bank account and leave.

Emma Royds
1st Oct 2018, 20:08
I have spoken to two pilots who had resigned and then had to retract their notice. As givemewings said, it is up to management to approve and for pilots then it should be up to CP-A or CP-B.

The general consensus seems to be that the company will have no issues, providing you have not 'rocked the boat', so to speak.

flyster
2nd Oct 2018, 13:31
Well I can confirm that my account was not frozen as well. No problem at all. Only heard that from Emirates NBD...

donpizmeov
3rd Oct 2018, 04:09
Seems bank accounts are good until the date your UAE ID card would have expired . Several friends from different banks ran into problems when this happened . For one it was a bit over two years after his leaving .

desertcamel
3rd Oct 2018, 12:24
My bank account was not frozen as well. Maybe because I settled everything before I told them that I resigned. But In anticipation, I withdrew most of the money before it gets locked in.

Received the last salary on the Last day of service and then closed the account from NBAD/First Arab Bank. No hassles experienced.

For info: As I was told the Bank accounts can be left Active(even w visa cancelled)but with a monthly maintaining balance. If it goes below the minimum, you'll get charged 25dhs per month. That's with First Arab Bank(NBAD).

flareflyer
30th Oct 2018, 10:16
Hello gents,

for those who left after how long did you receive your retention money?
was it inclusive of any other money?
i am due overtime and flight pay for August and they told me that they would have paid it with the retention
flare

captainsmiffy
30th Oct 2018, 10:39
Whats the score with the final cheque? Is it made to cash or will it be in my name? I have had a no-liability letter from HSBC and they say that they will not close the account; is it wise to put the cheque through this account to clear and then send the money home via GCN, the risk of getting my provident fund locked into my bank account with no access to those funds is worrying me as I ha e heard of stories where the visa cancellation triggers a bank freeze. Advice greatly accepted here.

desertcamel
30th Oct 2018, 16:33
Whats the score with the final cheque? Is it made to cash or will it be in my name? I have had a no-liability letter from HSBC and they say that they will not close the account; is it wise to put the cheque through this account to clear and then send the money home via GCN, the risk of getting my provident fund locked into my bank account with no access to those funds is worrying me as I ha e heard of stories where the visa cancellation triggers a bank freeze. Advice greatly accepted here.

the cheque is Pay to cash in your name. I picked up my cheque from EOS counter and walked my way to NBD on the mezzanine level. Encashed it and sent it via Al Fardan money exchange, straight to my account back home.

if you settle your bills,loans and credit cards to the bank ahead of time, there should be no problem. Bank will not hold your money, you can take your deposits and close the account as you want.

desertcamel
30th Oct 2018, 17:02
Hello gents,

for those who left after how long did you receive your retention money?
was it inclusive of any other money?
i am due overtime and flight pay for August and they told me that they would have paid it with the retention
flare

I received the retention money 2 days short of 2 months from LDS. (Clearing period from Banks varies from each countries)

The overtime and flight pays should be included on the Final cheque. The only reason the last salary and flight pay doesnt get included, is when you still have a No liability letter to be cleared in the bank. In this case, EK will deposit the last salary to that bank. It will not be added to the retention pay. It is for you to withdraw the amount and close the account once you have cleared all your loans, and This was my case.

should you have No liabilities to the Bank, all your money will be in 1 cheque except the Retention money which is a security deposit for the repair and repaint job to your former accomodation.

BigGeordie
30th Oct 2018, 17:08
So if you have no liabilities with the bank and are not in company accommodation there should be no Retention Money? Or do they keep some back "just in case"?

desertcamel
30th Oct 2018, 17:26
So if you have no liabilities with the bank and are not in company accommodation there should be no Retention Money? Or do they keep some back "just in case"?

BigGeorgie,
i would think so too. The amount for the retention money is purely based on the assessment done by the accomodation evaluators. You can actually ask them to lower the amount and not overpriced you.(that was Jan.2018) but Maybe ek changed their policy by now.

attaboy
30th Oct 2018, 17:45
Hi Flareflyer,

Some say its 30k but in reality its 44k thats what I got when I resigned for shipping my stuff back! Also for the last 3 days I was there Emirates had booked me a suite for me and my family but you have to ask them to do it.

fatbus
30th Oct 2018, 23:04
4K for incidentals + 4 k for Accomodation , all returned within 8 weeks including final settlement.

desertcamel
31st Oct 2018, 15:20
If you have done less than 3 years of service, how does the provident fund work?

EOSB (21 days/year) + your provident fund contributions?

is it eosb(by govt ruling) + provident fund contributions ...or whichever is higher ?
i believed we only get the higher, which is always the provident fund.

NightVMC
3rd Nov 2018, 11:56
good afternoon!

i will hand in my resignation the next few days.
do you have any useful tips, what i should request before i send my letter? tickets, company letters which might be useful and so on...
thanks for help

natops
11th Nov 2018, 19:47
Same here, need the check to settle a personal loan, any issues there?

desertcamel
12th Nov 2018, 09:34
What if you still have a personal loan against which Emirates has issued a salary letter guarantee which is still active on HR Direct.

I understand the final salary payment is marked as such and gets frozen. But what about EOS Cheque? Will ek withhold the Cheque until you clear the loan? Does ek ask for clearance letters from banks? (EOS needed to clear the loan)

The EOS cheque gets released regardless of the status of your loan(fully paid or not), thats what happened to mine. The final salary payment, in my case, was not included to the EOS cheque because I wasn't able to acquire the clearance letter from the Bank to submit to EK, it takes about 30 days. So, I dumped it. I just stayed couple more days after my LDS, waited for the Final payment to get to my Bank account. Then, I withdraw everything and closed the account the same day. From LDS to flight out of DXB took me extra 4 days.

Few known cases that can delay your exit:
1. Late release of Passport from HR due to incomplete Leaving process requirements - issues with accommodation, settlements etc.( happened to someone I know)
2. Late release of Passport from HR due to VISA cancellation issues (lame reasons such as, cutoff period - passport was not picked up, misplaced etc) - happened to me.

Your EOS cheque will be given together with the Passport, supposedly on your LDS. And try to submit the passport for visa cancellation either Sunday or Monday.

LHR Rain
12th Nov 2018, 13:27
Rumour has it that Harry was accepted at the Orange Airline.
Harry are you leaving us? We haven't seen you in awhile so you must be transitioning out of here.
Good luck.

RexBanner
22nd Nov 2018, 08:43
Is it forbidden to say easyJet on pprune? Are they another unmentionable? Why always this reference to a mysterious Orange airline. ;)

donpizmeov
22nd Nov 2018, 09:11
It's not a nice word to use in polite conversation .

SOPS
22nd Nov 2018, 09:21
Harry has left to go to Easy? Say its not true !!!!!!!

guemes
22nd Nov 2018, 14:43
Question....how long before your effective resignation date is your last flight? Is there any time off to do all of the last minute things like packing, and preparing to leave?

kcar
22nd Nov 2018, 17:44
yes you get 5 xx days for visa cancellation, closing bank account etc etc

flareflyer
26th Nov 2018, 02:38
Hello gents,
i had my last day in the office September 10 but last duty day October 6.
Is it 8 weeks from October 6?

kcar
26th Nov 2018, 20:02
Basic pay by 12. Divide by 365.
what about housing allowance for those days?

NightVMC
30th Nov 2018, 15:33
good evening!

if you deceide to take the cheque on your LDS and you rather take the converted money with you than the bank transfer,
do you have to declare the money when leaving UAE.
I know I have to declare it in Europe, if it is more than 10k€ and the same applies in Europe when you leave the EU, but not sure about UAE

thanks

pumpkin
2nd Dec 2018, 17:50
yes you get 5 xx days for visa cancellation, closing bank account etc etc
I was given three days as was my mate. However if you plan to have your last day of service on a Tuesday - then you have 5 days as they don’t count the weekends ( ie you have Fri-Tue. Tuesday however will be all at EGHQ and banking etc. Get there as early as possible. Also remember the Emirates NBD at EGHQ closes relatively early if depositing your cash. If you want a no liabilities letter from Emirates NBD ( if your bank) you need to cancel your cc well in advance. They have two different letters - a no liabilities and one other that sounds the same- one means no loans etc - you can get this if cc cancelled late , the other only 30-60 days after cc cancellation- cannot remember- and it means no outstanding cc owing etc etc. . As we had no loans, EK did not require this letter- we just wanted it for back home although so far haven’t needed it. We requested it on LDS and it took 3 weeks and they would not email it so had to have someone pick it up... in retrospect probably not worth the hassle.

kcar
2nd Dec 2018, 18:02
Can the last salary and provident fund be deposited to your bank account or does it have to be a cheque?

pumpkin
2nd Dec 2018, 22:16
It can be deposited directly by EK to an account in Dubai or overseas. Reading on this thread that can take anywhere from one week to six. I wasn’t willing to take that chance and wanted to see my cash before I left Dubai soil. I don’t think there have been any instances of the money not eventually being transferred but I wasn’t keen on having to fight anyone to track down such a large sum of money .

777boyo
3rd Dec 2018, 03:37
Pumpkin - it’s been a few years since I left, but I distinctly recall being strongly advised to ensure that any funds arrived in my UK bank well before I arrived in order to avoid any potential tax implications. Fortunately this advice was largely academic for me because I was moving my funds and myself to another country, but it may be something you should look into to avoid any nasty surprises. Maybe some other leavers could comment further. I believe similar cautions apply to returning to the US. A secondary consideration involves the possible implications of arriving in any country these days with large amounts of cash due to Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism rules.
Best of luck.

NightVMC
3rd Dec 2018, 18:51
It can be deposited directly by EK to an account in Dubai or overseas. Reading on this thread that can take anywhere from one week to six. I wasn’t willing to take that chance and wanted to see my cash before I left Dubai soil. I don’t think there have been any instances of the money not eventually being transferred but I wasn’t keen on having to fight anyone to track down such a large sum of money .

i will do the same, i think.
did you take the cash back home and did you have to declare it leaving the UAE?

pumpkin
4th Dec 2018, 00:06
Just to clarify- I agree. I got the cheque, cashed it, and walked over to Al Rostamani and transferred it home. It took 4 working days to get there I think. Absolutely in most countries your cash needs to get there before you do( to avoid tax implications)- so I didn’t want to “rely” on EK sorting out the transfer via the offshore managers as I had heard some people had to wait 6 weeks for their cash to show up. On another note- the days of having to carry a massive amount of cash to Al Rostamani etc are gone- I set up an account a month before I left and did a small trial transfer, then in my last day of service got the Ek cheque, deposited it my NBD account, then went to Al Rostamani and wrote a personal cheque to them for the entire amount- no problem.

nolimitholdem
4th Dec 2018, 14:49
Oh I dunno. Truth be told I had a lot of fun waltzing into Al Rostamani and throwing down a big ol' pile of dirtyhams...gansgsta.

hitansh
6th Dec 2018, 16:55
Fourgolds - when I left I could only give 2 months notice instead of 3. I was docked a month's pay ie. I worked that last month of my 12 years for free. Thanks for your service.
On the other hand I burned up my outstanding sick leave. Oh, and leaving was the best command decision I ever made. :ok:

Why it was the best decision ? What were the issues you faced ?

Joker11
13th Mar 2019, 16:17
Seems like things are looking good for me and I be making a move. Now question. I know we got a 30 days notice period. Does this apply to any calender day. So lets say you resign on the 15th of YY and say last working days be the 15th of ZZ. Or should one wait till the end of the month and resign. For full pay cheque.

fatbus
13th Mar 2019, 16:26
All prorated properly.

Got2luvem
13th Mar 2019, 18:40
After 11th of the month.

Vikingfly
13th Mar 2019, 23:15
Joker11

I thought we had 3 months notice period and not 30 days...?!

SOPS
14th Mar 2019, 02:00
It’s 3 months for sure. Not 30 days.

Joker11
14th Mar 2019, 03:46
Oh man. Gonna check with HR

fatbus
15th Mar 2019, 05:08
I think they can get rid of you in 30 days !

Joker11
21st Mar 2019, 18:51
No need, look at your employee handbook. 90 days notice for FD grades.

If you leave EK mid year, will they recover the cost of your ALT?

No idea. But now we got an SRC I am staying. Jokes. Will definitely want to use it though.

Yorkshire_Pudding
27th Mar 2019, 21:45
Only problem with SRCs post service is its for travel FROM and to Dubai which makes them pretty useless unless you’ve booked sub load cat A prior to your LDS into DXB. You can book unlimited cat A sub load tickets prior to midnight of LDS for travel anytime in your 12 months post service.

DCS99
29th Mar 2019, 06:06
I got completely the opposite information!
Once you've left you can use SRC originating from outside Dubai. My friend did Europe-Dubai-Far East.
And CAT A are only valid for LDS plus 28 days.

I hope we're both half-correct.

fatbus
29th Mar 2019, 15:01
YP your info regrading SRC post service is incrrect!

Buford
30th Mar 2019, 14:23
SRC Confirmed is great from US. We used our 3 firm tickets USA-DXB-OZ return. Business all the way. Missed out on using our last two SRC standbys due to our own fault in missing the deadline to book.

Dropp the Pilot
30th Mar 2019, 20:39
So far in retirement flown firm business SRC tickets from North America to points east to the value of $55,000. Total cost to me $110.

flybj
2nd Jan 2020, 06:22
HI All

Leaving in just over 2 months. A quick question or 2 regarding Credit Cards and personal Loans. I am with Emirates NBD and have a Credit card and a personal Loan. On HR Direct, under "Guarantees" Tab, I simply have 1 item entitled "Salary Transfer"

My questions:
1. Do I need to pay off both Personal Loan and CC, or just the Personal Loan?
2. If I do have to pay one or both off, does this get paid from your End of Service benefit/provident fund layout (been here 10 years, so it will be provident fund).Or, do I have to clear these in advance?
3. What methods of payment are available for final settlement from EK to the employee, and which is more advisable to take?

Thanks in advance.

Yorkshire_Pudding
8th Jan 2020, 13:43
You don’t need to pay off all your loans in order to get everything owed to from your employer, or to be able to leave the UAE after your employment visa is cancelled. And you can keep your bank accounts open after you leave (probably ok until your UAE ID expires).

However if your account balance doesn’t clear your debt your card will be frozen until your debt is cleared. You can continue to make payments from home country and come and go from the UAE freely, provided you keep up your payments.

On your LDS your final salary transfer minus retention (around 4K AED) gets transferred into “guaranteed” account (I believe this payment also notified your bank with loan you’re leaving). Same day you can collect EOSB Cheques from EOS. B fund funds for me got transferred 2 months later into same account along with rentention funds (I selected wrong option on EOS portal, I assume/believe you can get all provident fund on your last day as a Cheque to be cashed wherever however you wish).

The notion you cannot leave UAE with debt is a myth to keep you there.

ekpilot
15th Jan 2020, 23:33
Just a heads up re possible Etisalat issues on departure. We left the pit a couple years ago and it was certainly an effort but all went very well until Etisalat decided we did not close our account properly and we now owe AED2100 for charges accrued since our departure. We closed the account personally, which they acknowledge, however they said they tried to call me to verbally verify my request for closure. Did they think I was joking? The number they used was the property of EK so I, of course, gave that sim card back and therefore could not be contacted. They contacted me via email after about a year of being back home. All polite at first but that deteriorated into threatening emails. In spite of all the common sense I could throw at them I realize I could make no progress on changing their position. I advised them I would pay on return to Dubai during a visit. They wanted money sent immediately but I can't bring myself to trusting the system. Hopefully we aren't sent to jail when we arrive in Dubai. That would make no sense but we are talking about Dubai. So I can only caution that you must get receipts for everything and don't throw them away too quickly as I did. Also stand by for the supposed verbal verification call from Etisalat.....silly. I thought the UAE experience was over but I guess they weren't quite done with me. Wouldn't care at all except I have earned retirement tickets and would like to use them which involves returning to DXB usually.

Happy flying to my old EK colleagues and friends

Bus Driver Man
16th Jan 2020, 01:40
I keep getting e-mails from Etisalat for a similar amount as well. I closed my account in person, but they kept it active for a few months. When they called me to confirm the cancellation, I was advised that I had to pay a cancellation fee. I had already exceeded the minimum contract period, so I refused to pay any fee. They’ve been threatening with legal action for the last 3 years. I didn’t get arrested when I went back to Dubai, but I have to admit that I was a bit worried when it took longer than usual to check my passport.
Not sure what will happen if they ever take legal action, but so far they didn’t. I think that they are just threatening with legal action, hoping that you’ll pay eventually.

Tatin1
20th Jan 2020, 21:43
Gents, Am I the only one who can not acces the eksts , retiree website? I can log in but I get a blank page with a security token and not able to go to trips.

On any computer, on any browser, chrome, safari etc.

Anybody with a solution?

gehenna
22nd Jan 2020, 09:31
Morning Tatin 1

Just checked the retiree staff travel site, and managed to log-in without trouble - using Firefox.

If you know someone still in DXB maybe ask them to contact the relevant IT department, or send an email to retiree staff travel.

I wish you luck.

Tatin1
12th Feb 2020, 06:49
Thanks Gehenna,

IT says its the bank, the bank says its the website. Not able to pay outside Dubai with any credit card.

gehenna
16th Feb 2020, 12:44
Hi again Tatin1

Sorry that you are still having trouble.
Do you have the contact details for staff travel, or would like me to send them to you, so at least they may be able to point you in the right direction?

777boyo
17th Feb 2020, 06:40
Tatin - had a similar issue a few years ago. You may already have tried these, but what appeared to solve the problem for me was a) make sure your Pop-up blocker is off. If it is already off, turn it on and then off again b) make sure you don't have any active Ad-blocking software c) if you have Anti virus software, put the TRIPS URL in the 'safe site' list d) just prior to accessing the Staff Travel site, clear all cookies from the cache on your device.
I'm not sure which of these fixed the issue for me, but one or more of them certainly did and I've had no problem since. Sorry this response is late - only just saw your post.
Good luck.

Flying_Viking
9th Jun 2020, 10:19
This thread is now unfortunately more relevant than ever. Good luck to all who received the bad news today.

CaptainChipotle
9th Jun 2020, 20:26
EK resignation tips?

Just do your job and they will take care of it for you.

TC and upper management are weak and scum for treating staff like this.

Sir Maurice Flanagan is rolling over in his grave.

DesignError
10th Jun 2020, 10:13
Hi all,
I received a job proposition to work abroad but I currently have a loan with a bank here in the UAE.
I want to accept the job and move, but I want to continue paying my monthly dues accordingly so that I can come and go to the UAE if and when needed. I have a Salary Transfer Letter active in my HR profile.
1) is it still possible to go through the resignation process with an active loan? Doesn't HR request a "no liability letter" to clear you?
2) Do I get the EOSB to myself or will it be blocked by the bank? Does the bank block your account?

If some kind soul could inform me details about al lthis I would deeply appreciate.

Best regards to all and wish you all the best to you, families and colleagues

springbok449
10th Jun 2020, 14:52
Everything in UAE is linked so my understanding is that if you have an active loan, you will not receive a clearance letter and your residency visa will not be cancelled....

Emma Royds
25th Jun 2020, 11:08
Keep the company out of the transfer process for your EOSB and do not opt to get your money transferred in AED. I understand that any transfer other than AED, is actioned by the provident fund trustee and not by the company, which could take longer.

felixthecat
27th Aug 2020, 16:40
Looking for information on how long after visa cancellation and end of service that the provident fund is released to the bank you have nominated. I am going back to the UK and a little concerned that if it is after I have repatriated that I could be liable for UK tax........

Emma Royds
27th Aug 2020, 20:28
It can and has taken months rather than weeks for at least some of those that have left after the onset of COVID-19 but these funds were transferred from payroll. I may be wrong here but I understand that foreign transfers are now executed by the trustees? Should this be the case then it could be quicker.

If you are worried about the amount of tax that may or may not be liable, then the cost involved for seeking professional advice will be a drop in the ocean! :ok:

springbok449
27th Aug 2020, 20:28
Hi Felix, I got mine approximately 3 weeks after my last day of service (about 2 weeks after I got back to the UK)

felixthecat
27th Aug 2020, 23:01
How was or is that treated by HMRC for tax since you are technically UK resident when it arrived? PM me if you prefer...thanks

lockedout
30th Aug 2020, 15:19
My (layman) input, for what it's worth is . . .

I don't think Provident Fund payments are seen as earned income, so I would have thought would not be taxed as such.

As for where you are when you receive any income payment, I do not believe it is relevant. More relevant is the date any payment is made, as it dictates in which tax year it will be assessed. Any income from EK this tax year will be assessed as foreign income in tax year 2020-21.

The main question is whether you will be deemed to be UK resident or non-resident for tax year 2020-21. If you are non-resident, then no tax will be due on EK income. If you are resident, then you will need to declare EK income as foreign income. But, as I noted above, Provident Fund payments may not be seen as income. There will also be the issue of separating true income from any severance payments, if applicable.

I found the rules around UK residency (for tax purposes) far from straightforward, certainly it wasn't a case of just spending more than 183 days in (or out) of the UK in a given tax year. One's ties (property, family, etc.) and the situation in previous years are also considered, so I would advise taking the HMRC Statutory Residence Test (SRT) for not only this year, but previous years too.

There is the option of split year assessment, but that isn't as simple as one would expect it to be.

Professional advice has been rightly suggested but, as long as you can cope with the frustration of links that take you round in circles, or to irrelevant pages (such as residency rules regarding immigration), the HMRC website is pretty comprehensive and clear. Online tax returns are due by the end of January 2021, so you have plenty of time (though paper returns are due by the end of October 2020). I don't think there are many decisions you can make now to influence events other than, of course, to keep clear of the UK until after 6 October!

felixthecat
30th Aug 2020, 17:51
I have been trying to find a UK tax specialist in Dubai but it seems to be harder than expected.

I am definitely classed as non resident, that is not an issue. The taxation part becomes an issue because as soon as you return to the UK my understanding is that you are then classed as resident. The provident fund can take a good few weeks to be received and by then I would be classed as UK resident and liable for tax on earnings in the 20/21 tax year. You are correct that I can apply for a split tax year, but that would just cover earnings outside the UK until the date I repatriated. Having spoken to a Mondial rep they said that HMRC could well declare the provident fund as income liable for tax since it arrives after I return to the UK.

There must be other people in the past repatriated to the UK with a similar situation re the provident fund payment.

Why specifically the 6 October? I am obviously missing something......

Adam Barfy
30th Aug 2020, 20:27
Why specifically the 6 October? I am obviously missing something......

I assume that date is the last day of service for some. ie their last day of earning outside of the UK.

I would be grateful if those unfortunately caught up in this, could let us know how long it takes for the PF money to come through after repatriation.
PM me if you prefer.

Emma Royds
30th Aug 2020, 21:58
I have been trying to find a UK tax specialist in Dubai

I suspect that might be hindering your progress. An accountancy firm in the UK that is dealing with HMRC policy on a daily basis, is likely to be far more in tune with UK tax policy than the vast majority of those that work in the financial sector in Dubai, who are often ultimately trying to limit any engagement with any foreign tax authorities.

Find an accountancy firm in the UK that is recommended by someone you know and trust and get in touch and seek their professional advice. :ok:

Gunman returns
31st Aug 2020, 07:04
Try the Fry group. They have offices in UK and Dubai. They are experts on this. Personal recommendation.

www.frygroup.co.uk
www.frygroup.ae

lockedout
31st Aug 2020, 15:10
I referred to 6 October, Felix, because if anyone returns to the UK before then and stays for the remainder of the tax year (183 days), they would automatically be UK resident for the entire tax year 2020-21 under the first residency test. But if you are opting for a split-year assessment, that wouldn't be relevant. I assume Mondial's advice is on the assumption you will be taking the split-year route.

Sorry, I should have said you have until Jan 2022 to file a self-assessment return for the current tax year. It's the 2019-20 return which is due in Jan 2021.

Fired600
21st Oct 2020, 05:41
How long after ‘last day of service’ did people receive retained amounts from Emirates? Not the provident fund, the retained monies.

Rhodes13
21st Oct 2020, 08:57
For me it was approximately 8-10 weeks later. And that was during "normal" times