PDA

View Full Version : EK Resignation Tips

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

OnceBitten
28th Aug 2015, 05:08
Interestingly, ( and this information is in regard to NDB bank only, I didn't ask about any other bank) I asked if I can pay a loan out of my provident fund/eosb and the EOSB desk girl told me yes. Apparently they give me the check, then I walk around to NDB who will then deduct the loan amount and then wire the rest to my nominated account. She said EK do not require a clearence letter.

I'm still a bit sceptical, has anyone been told similar/ different.?

I am also lead to believe that a mortgage with some banks, unsure which ones, can remain open even when you leave Dubai.

Disclaimer: all situations vary.

Emma Royds
28th Aug 2015, 05:29
I can't speak for mortgages but I do know someone who has a loan with Mashreq that can be paid off after leaving the UAE.

Kapitanleutnant
12th Sep 2015, 17:41
Just to renew the thread…..

One thing I learned not long ago when leaving Dubai, which I'm surprised has not been mentioned (or else I just missed it!!) is this:

You'll move out of your accommodation usually a few days before your last day and in that time, you'll take your passport to HR for visa cancellation which takes a few days. If you're staying at a hotel your last few nights in Dubai, you NEED your passport to check in!! So… make certain you have copies of that passport and UAE ID card which I had already turned in.

Also… one thing NOT mentioned in the checklist is that we are all entitled to either 2 or 3 nights accommodation the last 2 or 3 nights in Dubai… all on Emirates Airlines thank you very much!!! The hotels are either the Premier Inn or the Holiday Inn next to it. I think it's buried in the staff manual but it's there. No one will mention it to you from the company side of things, but if you need it, its there for you.

K

harry the cod
12th Sep 2015, 18:52
Kapitan

Good luck with the move, the info and your next career path. I hope you're much happier there than here. When I go, it will have to be a night in the Burj as the last one. Gold leaf everywhere, OTT fixtures and fittings, personal butler, Rolls Royce limo and $200 for a small plate of caviar.

Actually, maybe a few free nights at the Holiday Inn with a take away curry might not be so bad after all!

Adios amigo. ;)

Harry

Kapitanleutnant
12th Sep 2015, 19:06
Thank you very kindly, Harry!!

I can totally see you pulling up in the back seat of a the Rolls in front of the Burj… Cape wrapped around you, wearing a TopHat! It's "You!" :-)

K

bogeydope
12th Sep 2015, 20:55
Kap.

All the best in your new endeavor!!

Wish I could leave this "paradise" as well..........:uhoh::uhoh:

DCS99
13th Sep 2015, 16:43
Just to renew the thread…..

One thing I learned not long ago when leaving Dubai, which I'm surprised has not been mentioned (or else I just missed it!!) is this:
Also… one thing NOT mentioned in the checklist is that we are all entitled to either 2 or 3 nights accommodation the last 2 or 3 nights in Dubai… all on Emirates Airlines thank you very much!!! The hotels are either the Premier Inn or the Holiday Inn next to it. I think it's buried in the staff manual but it's there. No one will mention it to you from the company side of things, but if you need it, its there for you.

K

I can't find that Regulation. Are you sure it's not deducted from your retainer (4000 AED, I think)?

Kapitanleutnant
13th Sep 2015, 19:06
DCS..

When I first requested this, my coordinator said I was indeed entitled to it while not specifically saying I would be charged out of that retention deposit money. My interpretation when saying I'm "entitled" was that it was included and that is what I was also told by several colleagues.

Kap

777boyo
14th Sep 2015, 01:36
The cost is not deducted from your Retained money. At least it wasn't 15 months ago.......
7B

Rotaiva
14th Sep 2015, 04:09
Found the reference to the accommodation question in the 'accommodation handbook'. Unfortunately it wouldn't let me cut & paste it.

Accommodation Handbook Ref: Grade 9+ - B1 - 11.2

"The company will bear the cost for a maximum of two nights accommodation ..."

Now here is another point worth debating; the 3 months resignation notice/period! I am aware that this time frame is listed in the employee handbook but here is a copy & paste from the 'UAE Labor Law' code: -

The characteristics of an unlimited term contract on the other hand are as follows:

The contract provides a commencement date but no completion date.
A contract will be considered “unlimited” if: (i) it is an oral contract; (ii) it is not for a specified period; (iii) it was for a specified period but the parties continued to act on its terms and conditions after its expiry, without any written contract specifying the completion date; (iv) the purpose of the employment is to complete work not estimated within a specified time-frame; or (v) it is by its nature renewable and the contract continues after the work agreed upon is completed.
The contract may be terminated by mutual agreement or by either of the parties providing the other with a minimum of 30 days’ notice of termination.
The contract may be terminated for a justified cause at any time on giving at least 30 days notice of termination. The notice period may be less for employees working on a daily basis.

The less time I spend in this 'dump' the better..

Thoughts??

Emma Royds
14th Sep 2015, 04:15
Bear in mind that the Labor Law doesn't apply to EK (when it suits them) as the company is classed as a semi-government organisation.

Kapitanleutnant
14th Sep 2015, 04:25
Thanks Rotaiva!

Emma…. Always seems to be the one way street with this airline, doesn't it!! To THEIR benefit only.

K

Rotaiva
14th Sep 2015, 04:36
I'm hearing you about this being Emirates - 'keep discovering'.

However...
The 30 days of annual leave seems to be a sticking point for them, obviously against their wishes, what about this aspect? Certainly interested in other guys & gals thoughts on this matter.

I think it is a case that the precedent hasn't been set as yet (or has it??)

Neptune Spear
14th Sep 2015, 16:06
The company owed me over 30 days vacation and I haven't been here 3 yrs yet. I'm sure that pained them to pay me that money.
I didn't take the hotel when I left just because I didn't trust the company from deducting more money from me. I couldn't find a reference either.
So,far it has been only 3 days but I feel so much better already. Like SOPs I'll keep you posted.

SOPS
14th Sep 2015, 23:25
After 6 months, I'm still waiting for the retention money to be sent to me, or for an email explaining why it was kept. As usual, HR has not responded to any of my emails requesting an explanation.

Buford
15th Sep 2015, 10:14
How much is it? My sis-in-law left EK in June and is still chasing them for 9 hours of flight pay and they ignore all her emails (she was a purser). She was back in Dubai a few weeks back and paid a visit to EGHQ to see about getting it but the person she needed was conveniently 'away'. She'll probably never see it, but it makes you wonder how many others they do this to and pocket a nice sum along the way!!

olster
15th Sep 2015, 10:47
If entitled money is being withheld and not paid - this unethical behaviour should be highlighted to potential new joiners as a snapshot of what to expect - assuming that they have not assimilated the 'other stuff'.

SOPS
15th Sep 2015, 11:27
It's only $1000 US, but I just wish someone would answer my emails. But then again, I should know better.

White Knight
15th Sep 2015, 13:38
Forget HR SOPS or payroll. You should email your ex managers. ie JA or the likes...

SOPS
15th Sep 2015, 13:46
Roger that WK. Will try that. Actually I figure if a $ 1000 bucks is the price of getting out, I am happy to pay it. But I will chase it down.

Jack D
15th Sep 2015, 17:07
Sops et al . I tracked down my retention money via the payroll dept. As far as they are concerned the money has been paid however in my case it was in the form of a cheque which was sitting at Eghq 2 nd floor waiting for collection ! Difficult if you are not in the country ! I suspect given the shocking lack of inter departmental comms that this might be where your money is hiding. Incidentally payroll need to be pushed to investigate this possibility , they are so process driven (sound familiar ) that their initial response is invariably unhelpful . Hope this helps , they will transfer the money to your a/c if asked .

L1011
17th Sep 2015, 10:53
Just started the exit dance.

The HR leaving module is a classic. SNM.

Police clearance - whoever posted about the Port Rashid Police. I owe you a beverage. Best bureaucratic experience in Dubai. Totally painless except for Dh 210 each.

BTW don't believe the Police website. the form cannot be filled on-line as it requires an Arabic "reason".
Also the Dubai Mall Police station (LG Parking area) cannot do this for you. it's either Port Rashid or the CID office that other guys have posted.

Kapitanleutnant
17th Sep 2015, 11:11
Congrats on the impending escape L1011!

I found another very convenient location for this… Al Qiyadah Metro Station. It is easy to get to on the Metro from EGHQ with a connection at Union Station to the Etisalat Line.

The police station door (Criminal Investigation) is literally 20 meters from the exit of the metro. Bring passport copy, visa copy and passport photo and 210 dirhams and it will be ready in 3 business days.

Agree… it was one of the most painless things one can do in Dubai bureaucratically speaking. Just be aware though that they will need a company name to put on this document e.g., your next airline etc.

K

SOPS
17th Sep 2015, 11:33
And my retention money arrived..so it seems the system does work..eventually!

Watchtvabroad
17th Sep 2015, 14:47
I did the police clearance earlier this year, via the police website, no problem at all. I called the police first, was suggested to use the website instead of coming to the station, was delivered at home 2 days later. Used the 2 nights hotel before leaving, premiere inn, it is paid by EK.

L1011
1st Oct 2015, 04:48
Chaps,

The Pilots Club direct debit is a real pain in the ass to cancel. Requires you to drive all the way to the Fairmont, spiral up into the parking lot, find an office that is not marked and sign a blank form.

And then hope that it actually works as you can't close your bank account unless the direct debit has been cancelled. Typical Dubai, but not acceptable for a Club that is supposed to serve its members.

Evidently all done for the "convenience" (direct quote) of the middle-aged Mums who staff the joint. A standing order would be "too much work".

Wonder why I was a member for all those years. It's just a sales organization for financial "products" these days anyway.

Disappointed founder EPC member.

5star
1st Oct 2015, 08:06
Maybe Kingpost can give you some feedback on EPC/APC.... After all, I think he really should have chosen another name on pprune... :E
Parking is indeed a real disaster... Sometimes I think it's intentional in order not to have too many visitors....

sluggums
2nd Oct 2015, 10:31
5star, if it's who I think you're referring to, then yes, he is at the root of a lot of the reasons why I don't subscribe to the EPC ripoff anymore...

OnceBitten
7th Oct 2015, 07:36
What is a good time frame to close the following prior to leaving?

Etisalat home phone, internet and OSN?

Closing bank accounts?

Thanks.

SOPS
7th Oct 2015, 07:49
I did OSN and I internet 1 week before I left. But I booked the disconnection date a month before that, if that makes sense.

Bank, give yourself at least a few weeks.

777boyo
7th Oct 2015, 08:17
Once Bitten,

Maybe you're already aware of this, but its also a good idea to leave yourself a couple of weeks at least to shut down your personal mobile subscription, and those of your family. Mine was relatively simple but time consuming, but my wife was still trying to sort her roaming deposit refund a month after we'd left. (Visa cancellation with Etisalat owing you money is clearly not an issue). Buy some prepaid sim cards to keep you going for your final weeks.

Best of luck, there is most definitely life after DXB!

7B

OnceBitten
7th Oct 2015, 08:44
thanks, 777boyo, good advice.

We have been on pre paid since we started so no problem there for us, just more getting the timing right to maximise internet access etc whilst not cutting it to fine before we leave. Same with bank accounts.

Cheers.

Thanks SOPs. also SOP, did you export your dogs back to OZ? if so, who did you use as an exporter and how did the process go? PM if you like or post here, either way much appreciated.

SOPS
7th Oct 2015, 09:05
Check your PM Once:ok:

Once the Internet disconnected, I bought prepaid data cards from DU, and turned the phone into a hotspot.

aussie in DXB
7th Oct 2015, 12:23
SOPs, can you pass on your info regards taking dogs to Oz thanks.

Cheers,
Aussie

SOPS
7th Oct 2015, 13:04
The dogs were always in Oz. My family lived there.

KanyouEast
7th Oct 2015, 13:37
Had 1st hand experience with these folks, found them very good with animals :
PET-RELOCATORS.COM (http://pet-relocators.com) , speak to Riza.

Cancel2LateLunches
14th Oct 2015, 08:54
Does anyone have any recommendations on who to use to ship their belongings home?

Apologies if this has been covered before.

C2LL

gehenna
14th Oct 2015, 09:24
I used Allied Pickfords to the UK.

They were good to deal with, and the packing was very well done. Our goods arrived when arranged, and they even provide an unpacking service.

I would use them again and EK pay them direct so you have nothing to do with payments.

Enjoy life after EK, I sure am ....................:)

SOPS
14th Oct 2015, 09:27
I used Freightworks. They were very good as well.

Cancel2LateLunches
16th Oct 2015, 07:19
gehenna and SOPS many thanks :ok:

Kapitanleutnant
16th Oct 2015, 16:00
I had been told Allied was very good by neighbors who left a few months ahead of me. I'd recommend them. Very helpful and responsive to all emails and calls. Something sorely missing in Dubai in general and EK in particular (Think Staff Travel)

While my out processing was mostly smooth, the biggest thorn in my side was certainly the phone company du. I would pay off a balance they told me I had to finish the account, then within 2-3 weeks get yet another bill or notice. This went on for at least half of the 90 day out processing event. And it occurred 3 separate times. At some point, you just throw your hands up in the air knowing you cannot talk any logical sense into their thought process and pay what they say just to close the account supposedly once and for all.

Recommend starting with both etisalat and du at the start of your 90 day clock… just to make sure it's all taken care of before leaving.

K

SOPS
28th Oct 2015, 12:53
Seaman...I chucked all my manuals in the bin...nobody asked for them. Hope that helps.

V1cutz
28th Oct 2015, 13:50
What kind of financial penalty is involved when one cannot give a full 90 day notice?

rotafix
29th Oct 2015, 09:12
Does anyone know the contact details of the 777 EASA tre? Need to validate my license before leaving

Wh1sper
29th Oct 2015, 11:53
Check your pm.

rotafix
29th Oct 2015, 13:32
Thanks for the information

Cancel2LateLunches
5th Nov 2015, 18:01
Does anyone have any advise on the best way to withdraw your provident fund? I'm leaning towards having it transferred into my bank account back home, but I've been told it might be better to get all on my last day and use the UAE exchange to send it back.

Cheers
C2LL

SOPS
5th Nov 2015, 22:22
Get it on your last day is my advice.

V1 wet
5th Nov 2015, 22:25
Hello guys,

Did any of you leave while still owing the training bond?. I wonder if the company makes you pay for the full ammount of the bond you still owe them or you can negociate on this.

Also, if you live in company accommodation and you took the furnished option, are you asked to pay them for the furnitures?.

Thanks a lot in advance for all your answers.

Happy landings and fly safe.

V1cutz
6th Nov 2015, 07:02
Is there any particular advantage of getting it paid out to you on the last day versus a wire transfer home (besides being quicker)? Hate to have to carry around that amount of cash to an exchange place.

Rim-job
1st Dec 2015, 04:42
Hey there,

Do i need to save my ALT for our family to return home or can we use it before departure?

Essentially what I'm asking is whether or not they give us repatriation tickets? I'm assuming yes, just haven't seen it written anywhere.

Rotaiva
1st Dec 2015, 07:20
Having just had my repatriation tickets issued (myself and my family) I can confirm you do get them. Early in the leaving process you nominate when and where.

Another little gem I discovered; - DO NOT CUT UP YOUR MEDICAL INSURANCE CARDS. It is not written anywhere but these need to be handed in to the EOS counter in the employee centre.

Each one not handed in will set you back 500aed! :eek:

I was fortunate enough to ask the question and the lass behind the counter outlined this hidden liability

harry the cod
1st Dec 2015, 16:20
Rotaiva

That's disgusting behaviour. You shouldn't have to ask the question, they should tell you in the leaving literature what's needed and what's not. 500 per card is nothing more than 'legalised theft'. Who the hell comes up with these policies and monetary figures anyway? :mad:

Harry

OnceBitten
2nd Dec 2015, 03:22
Rotaiva, Harry's right, you should have been told.

Have you had a meeting yet with your leaving co ordinator? If not I suggest making an appointment to see them because everything was explained to me clearly down to the last 2 nights accom prior to leaving. They will also go through SLR tickets you maybe owed, AL tickets, the flow for returning all our goodies etc.
I also had the accom people out the other day, make sure when they go through your place that anything that may have been damaged prior to you moving in was documented or you can be in for potentially a large bill at the end, an example being cracked granite kitchen bench tops, sinks etc so have these things documented, take photos if necessary.

Other than that the process is easier than joining. Etisalat was very quick to cancel elife and the bank (NDB) at the pineapple have been excellent.

Hope that helps a bit. :ok:

Rim-job
2nd Dec 2015, 06:15
If your annual datum (DOJ) is within 3 months of leaving... do we still qualify for our yearly ALT? My datum is 2 months before I officially leave so I'm just wondering if they will still give me my ALT or can I consider that a distant memory.

Just curious as the thought just crossed my mind.

Anyone with similar experiences?

Desert Camel
10th Dec 2015, 18:40
What happens if you resign before the end of the flying year (March) but your 3 month notice finishes in April or later? Are you entitled to any (if any) profit share or not?

Thanks

lospilotos
10th Dec 2015, 19:17
You have to be on the payroll at the payout date.

CAT3A
10th Dec 2015, 20:40
I thought you have to be in employment by the end of financial year but lospilotos is correct you have to be in emirates on actual payday (May )

Dropp the Pilot
10th Dec 2015, 20:50
If you are here to receive the May paycheck you get the profit share. As described on the portal, the letter of the law says June pay but to my knowledge on every occasion it has been on the May check.

Dropp the Pilot
10th Dec 2015, 20:51
What do I do to give notice? Is my departure date an exact 90 days form that notice?

Dropp the Pilot
10th Dec 2015, 20:53
These are credited to you on your employment anniversary. Are they credited in advance or in arrears? By which I mean if I use them when they are credited and one month later resign will I be billed for them because I had not yet served the current year?

SOPS
10th Dec 2015, 22:13
Yes Dropp, it's 90 days from the day you send your email.

Dropp the Pilot
13th Dec 2015, 14:13
Rather than the bullet go ricocheting around the castle can someone tell me to whom I address the resignation letter? The chief pilot? Does an email suffice or is a paper letter required?

donpizmeov
13th Dec 2015, 14:34
Stick it on th VR under where they ask why you didn't single engine taxy.

You have been here so long Dropp that a phone call should be all that's needed. Remember when the outermaker and would have a feature when Capts left?

The company is a lesser place when you fellas leave.

SOPS
13th Dec 2015, 14:41
Dropp, I did not know where to send mine. So I emailed the FDM, and asked if he/ she could forward it on to the relavent people. It seemed to work ok.

White Knight
13th Dec 2015, 16:47
And a display page of the new joiners Don... Still got a couple of old copies lying around somewhere!

Toledo
16th Dec 2015, 04:42
With most pilots now having a growing leave surplus, the way it is handled on resignation is becoming more important. Can anybody confirm how this was dealt with please?

Searching this thread, I found a post stating that they will allow you to take any leave owed "if available" (& we all know the answer to that one) or you will be paid for it.

If they pay, how is the amount calculated?

There was a leave buy back scheme announced earlier this year offering to buy back your contracted time off at very favourable rates (favourable to EK that is!). Does anybody know where that info can be found?

Cancel2LateLunches
18th Dec 2015, 10:58
I was planning on closing my bank account with NBD before my last day in the company. Unfortunately the 'helpful' chap in NBD explained that if I did close the account, they may or may not be able to cash my final cheque. Anyone have any experience with this, closing the account before vs after getting your final cheque?

FuelFlow
18th Dec 2015, 11:42
Toledo, I have just been through the process.
Leave was paid out in the final cheque at the same daily rate according to my basic salary.

With regards to closing of the bank account, I had closed my Mashreq account prior to my last day. On collecting the final cheque, popped into NBD in HQ, walked out with a handful of cash.

I opted to have the provident fund transferred to my bank of choice, will advise on the outcome in about 3 weeks time!

flyby2013
19th Dec 2015, 16:20
We're leaving after about 2,5 years of service here.
Is there any allowance for shipping our container back north?

Thanks guys, great thread! 😊

OnceBitten
20th Dec 2015, 01:37
Just cashed my cheque the other day at NDB HQ without an account, it was no problem. They won't money transfer for you though unless you have an open account but their cross rates are poor anyway so it's not worth transferring with them. I headed off to Al sari at midriff and transferred the cash. Just make sure if you do this though you take passport and a copy of your end of service letter and the receipt of the cashed cheque or they won't transfer for you as you are now a non resident. That is also the trap of closing your NDB account after you have your residency visa cancelled, the bank require a copy of your visa and a copy of your uae id to close the account so keep copies of everything.

Flyby2013,
In regards to moving allowance, it's in the staff travel manual as you would expect :rolleyes: but I think from memory the first bracket is from 3-5 years service to be eligible for freight allowance..

Toledo
20th Dec 2015, 07:39
Thanks for the info FuelFlow.

So, they pay you your monthly basic salary / 30 per day of leave (or your annual basic salary / 365)? That is nowhere near enough compensation for leave which they have denied.

We do not work 30 days per month or 365 days per year. We are required to have 24 days off in any consecutive 84 days. That equates to 2 days a week or 104 days per year. Our contractual leave is 42 days or 6 weeks, so that would remove another 30 working days. That leaves 231 days per year on which we are available to work. So the absolute minimum rate at which you should be compensated for denied leave should be annual basic / 231. Anything less is a complete rip off.

However, when you take leave during employment you receive more than just basic pay. The Employee Regs Manual states that "Payment during annual leave is credited at gross monthly salary i.e. basic pay plus all allowances." The biggest allowance is housing allowance. When you take leave you are paid basic plus housing (whether you take the allowance or not) plus education. Why would you settle for significantly less when you resign?

For these reasons, I will be taking all of my leave on resignation.

Rotaiva
8th Jan 2016, 23:16
For information; gone now (from EK and the ME) for less than 3 weeks.

I opted for the direct transfer of my provident fund to my nominated overseas account - it just turned up there! In other words I think 3 weeks seems to be the norm.

DuneMentat
9th Jan 2016, 03:36
Seaman Staynes It is written on the license verification letter which you can apply for here: www.gcaa.gov.ae (http://www.gcaa.gov.ae) > E-Services > Verification Letter.

http://i.imgur.com/ZsWNrKD.jpg

it will say something along the lines of:
Our records show no licensing action or involvement in any incident/accident concerning the above
mentioned license holder.

CanadaKid
14th Jan 2016, 15:43
I received a suggestion from a colleague to transfer my pension after have left the company.
Reason being that any transfers back to Dubai incur a 1% fee in addition to the forex charges from your fund currency to dirhams and again to whatever currency you have in your transfer account.
As it turns out it's been a month of emails and telephone calls to the managing company in the Isle of Man with very slow progress. Apparently once you have left the premises, the Know Your Client rules kick in and you have to start from scratch.
Better to transfer direct to your home country while still an employee, methinks.

CK

Dropp the Pilot
15th Jan 2016, 12:54
Can someone who has done this recently please elaborate. When mine goes in I want to be gone 90 days later - not 93 because I formatted the thing wrong or sent it to the wrong person.

Dropp the Pilot
16th Jan 2016, 07:34
Anyone with experience of this?

That's what this cut and paste looks like i.e. if you take 10 days vacation during your notice period, your notice period becomes 100 days instead of 90.

"An employee may request to take outstanding annual leave during the notice period. If such a request is approved by their line manager, then the notice period will be offset by the approved period of annual leave."

CanadaKid
16th Jan 2016, 14:19
DtP

I took my planned 21 days during my 90 day notice and it made no difference to my exit date. I had given my leaving date in my notice email, which was eventually acknowledged.

CK

innersole
1st Feb 2016, 07:24
Hi Guys,

don't get behind with the 3 months of madness during resignation! The 100 hour rosters don't help...

Sorry that it's been mentioned before, but I can't find the reference to the GCAA licence. It was mentioned that EK demand the card back or it's a AED500 penalty, but someone mentioned that you can get a replacement at CAA for a lot less. Any advice please!

Also, I don't remember ever being given one of those SOS contact detail cards with the EK logo on it, but I believe they are also on the standard AED500 penalty sheet.... CC Service Centre near the old mailboxes gave me one with a smile.

SOPS
1st Feb 2016, 07:41
No one ever asked for my licence back, and I did not get 500 dit fine for keeping it either.

Kapitanleutnant
1st Feb 2016, 09:50
Same here.... Never asked for it nor the drivers license back. No penalty. .

White Knight
1st Feb 2016, 19:09
If you're talking Drivers Licence Kapitan that has nothing to do with EK... Drivers as in automobiles that is!

Kapitanleutnant
2nd Feb 2016, 03:42
WK...

I had heard during my out processing the DL and ATP were in some cases, requested back. BOTH are government documents, not EK documents. Was clarifying for the poster my experience with those two items. I was able to keep both as neither were asked for prior to leaving.

Kap

White Knight
2nd Feb 2016, 06:15
The difference though is that you have paid for the DL and EK pays for the ATPL... Even if they are both issued by government departments Likewise the ID card is paid for by us, not the company...

Dropp the Pilot
2nd Feb 2016, 10:45
I think I asked this before but I can't dig it up at the moment.

If you elect to take the dirham cheque as Provident settlement, do you receive that cheque at least a few days before your residence visa is cancelled? I would imagine that having a large-ish cheque in hand but no residence visa could lead to complications with wiring the money outbound or banking operations in general.

SOPS
2nd Feb 2016, 10:54
You get it on your last day, Dropp. I had set up an account at home ( with some trouble, but possible), that I deposited it into when I got home. Cheque was cleared in under 2 weeks. Then converted to local currency at my lesuire.

See if you can set up a foreign currency account with your bank. You have to find someone who knows what they are talking about, the first answer will be....cannot. But that's not true, at least in Australia.

OnceBitten
7th Feb 2016, 07:58
How long has everyone been waiting to get their retention money from EK? :ugh:

Odins Raven
7th Feb 2016, 19:51
How long has everyone been waiting to get their retention money from EK? :ugh:

Mine came into the UK bank account within the 8 weeks as promised.

In case anyone wants to know - been gone 4 months now and absolutely no regrets. Earning a little less but so much happier and healthier. However, I was fotunate enough to get my home base which makes a huge difference.

And I was never good at the long-haul lifestyle so working daytime only suits me so much better. Even if I am flying more sectors overall.

The family is infinitely more happy which is the main point for me...

Neptune Spear
7th Feb 2016, 21:04
Odnis I concur with your postings 100%. The life outside of Emirates is so much better I wish I could have left earlier. What a difference a real airline makes.

Dropp the Pilot
15th Feb 2016, 11:39
How does this work? Suppose you utilise your ALT six months into your last year and then depart. Do you get a deduction to cover 50% of the cost?

Rotating Bacon
26th Feb 2016, 16:16
does any body know if EK allows you a 3rd bag on your exit ticket?

Rotaiva
26th Feb 2016, 23:31
Rotating Beacon -

Simple answer - any number of bags but no increase to the allowance (40kgs)!

I inquired with HR and because we get the 'shipping container' option we get no further allowance with repatriation-ticket-luggage-weight.

I went out with exactly 40kgs! That said I probably had about 7 bags/boxes checked in.

Fuzuma
27th Feb 2016, 03:00
Hi all,

Just a quick and possibly stupid question, is there a website or something similar where people leaving are advertising goods they are wanting to sell before going home?

Odins Raven
27th Feb 2016, 05:14
Hi all,

Just a quick and possibly stupid question, is there a website or something similar where people leaving are advertising goods they are wanting to sell before going home?

Dubizzle.as

Fuzuma
27th Feb 2016, 07:44
Hi Odins,

Thanks, was hoping there was a more EK specific website/platform where just EK guys/gals were the sole sellers. Thanks so much

777boyo
27th Feb 2016, 08:38
Fuzuma,

There used to be an employee only For Sale page on Groupworld. Suggest you check with one of the EGHQ staff (excuse to visit Costa!) - they seem to be more familiar with the site and could give you more up to date information.

If you find you're getting close to departure day and you still have stuff to get rid of, you could try Cash Converters Dubai (http://www.cashconverters.ae) who will buy just about anything. Don't expect to get much money, but they will collect and take away.

Best of luck,

7B

BYMONEK
27th Feb 2016, 09:26
Groupworld, my community.......staffmart. Sold my car there once! Dubbizle is a wider audience though and would be my first try.

Fuzuma
27th Feb 2016, 10:17
777 & Bymonek,

Thanks very much for the info, I'm sure to your amazement/shock/disgust, I'm actually arriving, not leaving, just thought with lots of guys going home they may have goods in good condition that they were trying to get rid of. All the best in your new adventures........

Praise Jebus
27th Feb 2016, 15:31
Fuzzy when you get to the training college there is a student crew room there. A pin up board has stuff for sale but not much, I have sold a few things via it. Not sure why others don't use it more.

Kapitanleutnant
27th Feb 2016, 17:20
And don't forget the "Take my junk" .com guys. I called them twice with some things that I couldn't sell and they come right to your place with a large truck and will take everything from you.. all junk stuff or certainly good stuff too if you need it taken away.

Two or three guys doing the work.... I forget what the cost was but well worth whatever it was.

They even take things that are absolute rubbish with absolutely no value.... amazing.

Kap

777boyo
28th Feb 2016, 00:08
Fuzuma,

As a new arrival I'd suggest you sign up for the pilots email groups - there will be one applicable to your fleet/rank (something like "ek777fo" or "ek777capt") and another more general one ("ekallpilots") - frequently used by by guys/gals trying to offload all manner of things. Signing up to the groups is simple - most of the guys you fly with will be able to give you details of the procedure. If not, I'm sure someone on this site would respond to a request for instructions.

Best of luck.
7B

Fuzuma
28th Feb 2016, 06:24
Hi guys/gals,

Thank you very much for all the info, it is greatly appreciated. I apologize for the thread creep, somehow managed to turn it into the inverse :\

Jolly Foreigner
28th Feb 2016, 07:06
There's also the staff mart via the crew portal, sold one of our cars through it, but be prepared for the usual time wasters taking the mick. Just because it's on an in-house EK portal doesn't mean it's muppet free.

:ok:

Dropp the Pilot
10th Mar 2016, 06:26
Someone mentioned you could get a file containing your entire flight and sim records since starting with EK. Anyone got a contact for that?

Kapitanleutnant
10th Mar 2016, 06:30
Dropp

If you go onto the portal you can find the link for the flight time since day 1 at EK, or any dates you need to put in. For example, a number of airlines want the last 3 pages of your logbook or so, but you'll probably also want to print out the first page as it has your total time in whatever jet you're flying at EK.

Then, go get them stamped and signed by the chief pilot. No issues at all. They're probably used it by now with sheer numbers leaving!

Dropp the Pilot
10th Mar 2016, 07:06
Thanks. Could you sketch out the link to follow?

yada.yada.yada
10th Mar 2016, 08:50
crew information>my records>flight time report

Outatowner
10th Mar 2016, 13:53
, go get them stamped and signed by the chief pilot.
Did you get your print outs signed? I've not heard of them ever being that helpful before.

GoreTex
10th Mar 2016, 14:01
don't think they will sign it, it doesn't matter anyway

Kapitanleutnant
10th Mar 2016, 14:47
I had mine stamped and signed by my chief and an assistant chief with no questions asked. Every other pilot did the same who was leaving around the same time from talking to them.

Maybe this has changed?

Kap

Jolly Foreigner
12th Mar 2016, 07:42
Yep, my chief stamped and signed my log book when I was on my way out last summer, no problems and a friendly chat too; no invite for a Costa though.

typhoonpilot
12th Mar 2016, 12:18
Easier to get a single page print out signed and stamped by the Fleet Manager. Shows dates of employment and when you upgraded as well.

Of course mine was done before the mass exodus so YMMV.

TP

bittersweetheart
12th Mar 2016, 19:32
Mine stamped and signed earlier this spring. No questions asked. No problems whatsoever having the printout or logbook done. You can even have a personal letter printed and stamped which shows your dates and hours.

Versace
23rd Mar 2016, 00:06
Hi All,

Most may already know this... .

When resigning from EK and leaving Dubai make sure you get a current police check before leaving the UAE.

I've Moved back to Australia and in the process of flying for QF, trying to get a police check here for living in the UAE is a complete nightmare... looking at 1-2 months of getting it. Is it like this anywhere else?

SONNY731
25th Mar 2016, 15:44
Anyone know how long it takes to receive the money from the provident fund if you ask for it to be sent direct to your bank account? Does it come after your last day of service? Thanks.

SONNY731
25th Mar 2016, 15:48
In respect of the police 'Good Conduct Certificate' - I went to Port Rashid police station. Copy of passport, residence visa, UAE ID, two passport photos and 220AED. Place is empty - it took 5 minutes. Picked it up two days later. No problems.

de facto
25th Mar 2016, 16:10
I thought the standard was to leave the car running at the airport terminal and just go...or best,to operate back home and never come back...or things have improved ?

altocu
9th Apr 2016, 10:54
Can anyone who has left recently confirm if and how many days off were blocked off on your roster prior to your last day?

I've asked this of the relevant people but am awaiting a response..

Cheers.

SOPS
9th Apr 2016, 11:23
I'm pretty sure it was 3 days.

Mr Good Cat
9th Apr 2016, 16:28
It is 3 working days.

But bear in mind that if your 3rd day is on a Thursday its realistically only 2.5 Days for obvious reasons. And if anyone screws up your leaving process there's nothing to be done after midday Thursday... I would opt to stay in Dubai for a further 3 days if you can before they book you out on the repatriation ticket.

Imagine if there's a dispute on the final paycheque amount?

Rotaiva
9th Apr 2016, 21:48
I had 5 days blocked off but 2 were a Friday & Saturday. That was Dec 2015

GoreTex
10th Apr 2016, 03:11
I have 3 blocked, "last day in office" is the 28th, last day of employment is the 31st

JNPS
10th Apr 2016, 14:12
Which day would you expect the financial settlement to occur?

altocu
11th Apr 2016, 07:33
Thanks for the responses.

Odins Raven
11th Apr 2016, 13:49
Which day would you expect the financial settlement to occur?

The financial settlement is on the last day. As pointed out - make sure that's not the day before your repat flight is booked. If they get your settlement wrong on a Thursday you may be stuffed if you leave town for the final time that weekend...

Having said that, no mistakes were made with my final pay. And the retention of 4000 dhs was paid into my nominated bank account 8 weeks later with no issues.

Things seem to be going downhill rapidly there since I left though. Not sure if there's any way to stop the rot OR if there is any intention of stopping the rot. Shame.

Best of luck, hope not too many are affected by the house upheavals :-(

InnocentBystander
11th Apr 2016, 19:55
I'd appreciate any recent experience in using leave balance to shorten the notice period. I've got over 60 days of leave balance and wanted to use these to shorten my notice period from three months to four weeks. Will HR approve this? Or will they force you to get it paid out because they're short of crew?

Dropp the Pilot
11th Apr 2016, 20:17
Eh? So if one is relatively senior they pass you a cheque for several million dirhams and then kick you out of the country 24 hours later? It takes a day or two for that cheque to clear and several days for it to be wire-transferred from your UAE "bank" to the real world. Are you seriously suggesting you are happy to skip town with that movement still in process?

I am quite accustomed to being treated contempuously while working here - I was kind of hoping that would stop once I resigned.

Avid Aviator
11th Apr 2016, 20:39
What's even worse is that on the final day you must sign a form stating that EK have paid you all money they owe you. Which they haven't of course, because that will come later. But you are required to sign the letter to say you've received it, or else you get zip.

Seems that the money usually turns up, but it's 100% trust....:hmm:

JNPS
12th Apr 2016, 04:47
AA,
I find that hard to believe. None of my colleagues have mentioned this form and I know most would not have signed it in advance. I can't see a stalemate where one refuses to sign said form and company refuses to pay until signed. ( unless you're referring to the withholding amount).

Odins Raven
12th Apr 2016, 07:56
I'd appreciate any recent experience in using leave balance to shorten the notice period. I've got over 60 days of leave balance and wanted to use these to shorten my notice period from three months to four weeks. Will HR approve this? Or will they force you to get it paid out because they're short of crew?

No chance I'm afraid... I suggested the idea and it wasn't entertained.

They do pay your balance out in the final paychecque though.

Odins Raven
12th Apr 2016, 08:04
Eh? So if one is relatively senior they pass you a cheque for several million dirhams and then kick you out of the country 24 hours later? It takes a day or two for that cheque to clear and several days for it to be wire-transferred from your UAE "bank" to the real world. Are you seriously suggesting you are happy to skip town with that movement still in process?

I am quite accustomed to being treated contempuously while working here - I was kind of hoping that would stop once I resigned.

There IS a form which you sign on day one of the three days in the ESC.. you agree to the settlement amount (whether you like it or not!) and then you finalize all your releases with each department such as accommodation, uniforms, ID returns etc... only then will you get your magical exit checque.

You can cash it immediately downstairs in NBD. Then transfer it to your chosen account across the lobby at the exchange place.

Alternatively you can request EK to transfer it to your bank acct but you have to leave it in their trust as it won't arrive until you are well away from Dubai.

I went with the former and had no problems with the transfer from the exchange guys. It even arrived before my flight the next evening. Felt a bit weird walking across the EGHQ lobby with 30k USD in my backpack though...! (All the unused leave they had to pay me!)

Odins Raven
12th Apr 2016, 08:08
Also, in addition the provident fund arrived after 4 weeks in my USD EXPAT account in Jersey.

Your provident is handled and kept in the isle of man so EK can't mess with that one... just make sure your account details are correct as there's a big admin fee to correct it if you screw up!

DROPP - I think you may be confused assuming you have to collect your provident on the last day. Just let the provident company in the IOM handle the transfer - don't even think of carrying that cash across the lobby!

Dropp the Pilot
12th Apr 2016, 08:44
This won't work for 3,600,000 dirhams. I don't have that many suitcases.

Dropp the Pilot
12th Apr 2016, 08:46
This won't work for people from certain blighted nations whose tax authorities will consider the provident fund disbursment as income if it arrives in one's home country after leaving Dubai.

The bill in my case would be 1,700,000 dirhams.

1201alarm
12th Apr 2016, 09:52
To actually DO it. :}

Rosso Noche
19th Apr 2016, 06:46
Does anyone know what the story is if you use your ALT in the months before you resign but you don't have the full year of service associated with it?

Ie. Qualified for this years ALT in February 2016. Last day is in June 2016.
You used your ALT once you qualified for it in February.

Do they recoup any of the ticket amount (pro-rata) as you weren't here for the whole year?

Does it impact you getting your repatriation ticket or can you use both without any extra costs?

Cheers, Rosso

Buford
19th Apr 2016, 12:02
If working towards a 'planned exit' from EK, when is the best time to hand in your resignation with the 3 month notice so as not to get done for school fees i.e. you get your full amount for the year paid out without having any recouped pro-rata? Don't they pro-rate them through August?

Buford
19th Apr 2016, 12:04
Rosso, what date in February? I think I saw somewhere they would recoup it if you'd used it six months into the year, but I could be wrong.

DCS99
19th Apr 2016, 17:06
@Bulford

They do pro-rate through August.
Even though School finishes 2 months earlier.
Yeah I know - I couldn't believe it either.
Source: a friend whose leaving day was 30th June.

I believe 1st June resignation fixes that for you.
Enjoy your last flight - a night-turn to the Subcontinent will be rostered automatically .-)

CAT3A
19th Apr 2016, 17:54
I have the same question as Rosso, anybody with more info on ALTs if you are planning to be gone by August

Uplink
19th Apr 2016, 20:29
So here is a question...

A colleague of mine mentioned this yesterday to me and it got me thinking. I can't find the answer...

What happens if you resign a month before your 15th year is complete, do you still get the tickets for life? Is it like the bonus and you still get this even whilst on notice period?

I have been looking in the employment regs at continuous service and trying to find an answer

BYMONEK
19th Apr 2016, 20:55
Uplink

Send an email to fleet admin or better still, next time you're in HQ call in and ask someone.

I've been into Flight Ops 3 times within the last few weeks and on every occasion, the lovely local ladies are normally either stood around chatting to each other, staring into their phones or just smiling nicely at you whilst drinking coffee at their paraphernalia filled desks. Not having enough time to help shouldn't be a factor!

Good luck! :hmm:

Uplink
20th Apr 2016, 05:46
BYMONEK

You have been to Flight Ops 3 times in a week...why would you do that unless you have been a naughty boy..or the mother in law is in town?

BYMONEK
20th Apr 2016, 10:50
.....Or both! One actual visit was to see why a claim for a shortage in down route allowances was taking near on 6 months and 5 email requests, non of which were being answered. RB is the gentleman involved in the refund process and can often be seen 'wondering' around looking busy but actually doing cock all! He NEVER answers emails. It normally has to be stepped up past him, admin and then to a manager before anything gets done. I'm sorry but WTF??!!!

Funny, when you owe THEM money, it's out of you salary that month!

Odins Raven
20th Apr 2016, 11:13
My patience and tolerance levels were so short by the time I was in my last few months - I realized it was less stressful to write some things off rather than spend endless days in EGHQ getting strssed and frustrated with it all.

Dropp the Pilot
26th Apr 2016, 17:00
So it is understood that Emirates will need you to clear all the guarantees they have in their system before your release. That seems pretty straightforward.

Did anyone who has resigned looked further than that to avoid any unpleasantness at the airport on the day of departure? By this I mean is it possible some long-forgotten business arrangement or credit card could be hanging in the background and associated with one's residence visa such that when one went to leave you were held back?

If one wished to display an excess of caution is there a method to check such a thing before the actual day of leaving?

Rosso Noche
26th Apr 2016, 17:45
Rosso, what date in February? I think I saw somewhere they would recoup it if you'd used it six months into the year, but I could be wrong.

Hi Buford,

Sorry for the delayed response. No prizes for guessing why I was busy. 🛫🛬🛫🛬🛫🛬🛫🛬

It will only be 4 months into the ALT year when I leave so definitely less than the 6 months you mentioned. I still can't find any reference in the manuals.

Advice from someone else's experience would be appreciated or a reference if someone has one.

Cheers Rosso.

Mr Good Cat
26th Apr 2016, 19:37
So it is understood that Emirates will need you to clear all the guarantees they have in their system before your release. That seems pretty straightforward.

Did anyone who has resigned looked further than that to avoid any unpleasantness at the airport on the day of departure? By this I mean is it possible some long-forgotten business arrangement or credit card could be hanging in the background and associated with one's residence visa such that when one went to leave you were held back?

If one wished to display an excess of caution is there a method to check such a thing before the actual day of leaving?

Amazingly you don't actually have to close your bank account or credit card account before you leave Dubai. I even know someone who has kept their account open.

I also know one guy who forgot to cancel his internet before he left and had to send money via western union to an emirati guy to make sure his small debt was cleared.

I guess the only obstacle would be if you were trying to escape and someone had reported you to the police for owing them money. If that was the case they would have already got you by now...

Desertweasel
26th Apr 2016, 21:35
I have kept a DXB account open and even had a credit card for the first 4 months, HSBC wanted my credit card cancelled but were fine with leaving the account open. The EK Citi card was never linked to my salary so we just paid into it to keep a positive balance, was very useful while we were trying to set up in new country for car hire etc where a debit does not cut the mustard and we waited for local banks to issue cards.

RonBurgundySD
28th Apr 2016, 19:49
Hi All,

I'm on my way out as well (still got 80-something days to go). Thanks to everyone for the great info on this thread. Here are some answers I've been able to gather over the last few days:

(For every question I had, I sent an email to [email protected] and they got back to me in less than a day with either an answer or a reference for where I could go to get it)

- I asked the ALT question and the exact response was: "Kindly note that you may use any annual leave ticket that is already credited under your account without any charges."

- In order to found out how much you may or may not owe for Education Allowances ask: [email protected])

- Leaving before the 90-day period: they said it is apparently possible, but you need to obtain authorization from your department manager (I'm sure we know how that exchange will go, but it's worth a try if you need to get out sooner).

- I went to visit the Etisalat people at the Dubai Mall today and they said they can switch my postpaid mobile phone line to prepaid within 4 hours (no need to switch the number to Du and go prepaid with them). Canceling your home internet account will take 3-4 working days so you should try to do it that many days before the end of any given calendar month in order to avoid the issues people have had with their final bill. He didn't know what I was talking about when I asked about a letter for clearing the guarantee with EK, but I plan to ask the Etisalat people at HQ since I'm sure they must have dealt with it before (anyone else got any advice/info about that?).

- I bank with HSBC and I saw a guy there at the Dubai Mall as well: pay off your credit cards and once the balance is zero you can close it (he said no need to keep any sort of minimum balance in your current account), then just use your debit card until a few days before leaving. Once you're ready to close the current account, transfer out or withdraw any remaining balance, go into any customer service center, make the request to close, and they can give you a "No Liability Letter" that you take to HR to clear the bank guarantee with EK.

- For handing in your resignation, send an email to your respective fleet Chief Pilot.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to everyone!

Kapitanleutnant
29th Apr 2016, 03:05
Just closed my Nbd account a year after leaving. And they had all cash on hand as I requested. Couple a kilos worth of thousand dirhams bills! I then walked to exchange to transfer it all back to the home bank. Only thing I needed to show was my passport. Someone had mentioned requiring a copy of your old UAE visa... Which I had made and ready to offer but they never asked for it.

It was definitely much easier to close the account than I thought... And in hindsight, it sure seemed a lot easier and more pleasant leaving than joining so many years ago.

So glad to be gone from the slave ship mentality

Kap

CAT3A
30th Apr 2016, 12:27
Great thread,

on my way out as well
Just resign also last week......once I start the process I will come back with all the
info

SOPS
30th Apr 2016, 12:39
Slight thread drift (sorry people), but is EK aware of how much experience is walking out the door?

SOPS
30th Apr 2016, 12:42
Just one correction/ question to Ron. I know it was a year ago, but when I wanted to close my HSBC account I was told I had to do it at the head office in Deria. Perhaps things have changed.

Dropp the Pilot
30th Apr 2016, 12:46
Yes.

Some comment has been heard to the effect that maybe we could reduce the number of lost cellphones being special-delivered to Brisbane under pillows if we had just a few more mature commanders.

Retention measures have been proposed from our level to very high floors. If we hear anything at all from that it would likely be in early June.

SOPS
30th Apr 2016, 13:19
Lost phones under pillows ....that's cryptic.

Juan Heych
30th Apr 2016, 13:27
Lost phones under pillows ....that's cryptic.

Not cryptic. It made the news.

SOPS
30th Apr 2016, 14:16
Really? Where?

ExDubai
30th Apr 2016, 14:22
Really? Where?
Here we go ;)

Passengers Seen Crying and Vomiting as Flight Makes Emergency Landing | TravelPulse (http://www.travelpulse.com/news/impacting-travel/passengers-seen-crying-and-vomiting-as-flight-makes-emergency-landing.html)

CAT3A
30th Apr 2016, 14:35
SOPS,

I have been here for some time -standard letter (Good luck) from the chief pilot also the same for some other pilots that I know.

I didnt get the impression that they care.

Anyway move on keep the tips coming in everybody-great thread

RonBurgundySD
30th Apr 2016, 17:41
Hi SOPS,

The HSBC process I was told about did seem easier than expected, but I confirmed it again today with the call center. Even if you have a balance remaining in your account, you can withdraw it from an ATM (or transfer it all out before) and close the account from any customer service center.

Dropp the Pilot
1st May 2016, 03:31
As part of your leaving process you will be required to clear any guarantees showing on HR Direct. If you have a guarantee related to your Etisalat GSM phone the easiest way of doing that is to change the phone from postpaid to pre-paid.

Can anyone comment if the phone still works for international roaming after that change to pre-paid is done? Perhaps it requires some minimum credit to be maintained in order for roaming to be possible?

JAYTO
1st May 2016, 06:05
I have been using prepaid since I arrived here. I am able to make and take calls in any country that I have tried. I have never been asked or seen anything relating to a minimum balance.
I vaguely remember talking to Etisalat about international roaming. Maybe just give customer support a call and tell them you want it.

J

skysx33
5th May 2016, 13:03
Is there any chance to get a " kind of " Check list from Day 1 : how to resign ? with further steps ?

CAT3A
5th May 2016, 14:41
Am going through the process at the moment and
until now everything seems much easier than joining and actually great help from the leaving coordinator.

Good luck everybody

CautionShortRunway
5th May 2016, 14:45
It's nice to know that things finally start rolling and getting easy once you hand over your resignation.

Uplink
5th May 2016, 15:00
Anyone know where to find the Cargo allowance for shipping your house home from DXB? If so how much do the company cover?

CAT3A
5th May 2016, 18:21
staff manual from the portal-according to years of service

nolimitholdem
6th May 2016, 02:37
Based also on distance to shipping destination, i.e. Oz and Americas get more than Europe.

nolimitholdem
6th May 2016, 02:41
Dropp, international roaming works fine with prepaid - they don't care about it because you can only use whatever credit you've prepaid anyway. The big deposit is only required on postpaid accounts in case you run up a big roaming bill.

Uplink
6th May 2016, 07:03
Where in the Staff Travel manual? Going round in circles here

SOPS
6th May 2016, 13:55
Uplink , it's in a strange place. I can't remember, but it is is in the Staff Travel Manuel. I just can't remember where.

uba737
6th May 2016, 15:58
Staff Travel Manual is on the Travel page in Groupworld on the left hand side about mid page!

Dropp the Pilot
9th May 2016, 05:01
I will close out the Etisalat home phone/Elife account shortly which is associated with my "@eim.ae" original, personal, decades-old email address. Does that email address go dead when one's Etisalat account is closed or does it remain valid for some time?

FuelFlow
9th May 2016, 06:37
Drop, it goes dead!

bia botal
9th May 2016, 12:09
Has anyone tried to obtain a GCAA no accident record lately? Ive followed the link that's has been posted here previously but it doesn't open anymore! Anybody know the new one or must one present himself in person at the GCAAHQ along with passport,licence,visa,ID card etc?

Any help would be ummm helpful!

Jack330
11th May 2016, 08:48
Just a quick warning concerning etisalat...I resigned and left UAE in november, one week before I turned my etisalat contracts in prepaid by paying all my bills. I got all the receipts and guess what, they are messaging me every day that I still have to pay XXX dirhams and they threat me of bringing me to court..I've sent them the receipts and they said that it was a mistake and I owe them this money anyway.... Unbelievable.

Loads
12th May 2016, 18:06
Bank clearance letters

Does a bank clearance letter require you to close your account first?

Thanks

Kapitanleutnant
14th May 2016, 13:27
Loads,

You don't have to close your current account. I left mine open after leaving dxb. I think they're more concerned with credit cards which may have an outstanding balance, or loans having the same. For that, you need that clearance letter.

K

Wh1sper
14th May 2016, 15:10
Has anyone resigned and left before the 90 day period? Can we negotiate an earlier exit?
Any advice appreciated.

GoreTex
14th May 2016, 17:38
if you transfer your final salary in your bank account you don't need a clearance letter

120feet
14th May 2016, 21:55
I did mine 1 month ago with no issues. Perhaps its a browser issue. Try it through another browser. Good luck!!

md11fo
18th May 2016, 06:45
Quick question
My last day is at the end of the month 29th. I cant figure out what I should be paid. Is it my monthly pay + flying pay for May and June and Housing allowance. Or will I get 2 checks. The normal pay on the 25th then another last check on my last day the 29th.
Thanks

Rotating Bacon
30th May 2016, 07:55
I have a good one for you, dropped off my passport for visa cancelation a few days ago, was told I will receive an email in 3 days to pick it up, when I went there after 3 days I was told the passport was actually ready the same day I dropped it off. If you want to leave Dubai in a hurry its worth it to go back there the same day.

J.L.Seagull
30th May 2016, 08:03
bio botal,

You don't need to get EK involved with this. It's called a Verification Letter. Go to the GCAA website, and under e-services, look for Verification Letter.

Get one issued before your last day of service. There's something in the rules about your license becoming invalid if you're not employed as a pilot. Not sure of the details, though.

Maxwell Thrust
8th Jun 2016, 11:06
Does Anyone know how long the "letter of good conduct" from the Dubai Police is valid for?

Thanks

Max

InnocentBystander
8th Jun 2016, 18:15
Does Anyone know how long the "letter of good conduct" from the Dubai Police is valid for?

Three months.

Kapitanleutnant
8th Jun 2016, 18:32
It will say on the letter itself....

K

GoreTex
19th Jun 2016, 05:06
FYI, I received my provident fund 19 days after my last day of service to my UAE USD account.

now go and f*** yourself EK flight ops

The R.A.T.
27th Jun 2016, 07:51
Is it possible to booked Cat A tickets for travel after last day of service?

CAT3A
27th Jun 2016, 15:04
not sure R.A.T

anyway

Verification letter as describe above

Etisalat they said 3 days notice only now (I will give them 3 weeks just to be sure)

HSBC credit card balance to zero and then takes 5 working days to cancel

The quote from the freighter company was accepted immediately (I used one from the list on the portal)

Selling cars and unwanted furniture is problem since everyone is getting out of Dubai in masses......(anybody knows a different website than dubizle or any other ideas please post).

around 40days and am out

Just looking at the rosters this month it makes me go ........

kingpost
27th Jun 2016, 17:55
What's the deal on staff travel after one resigns, I'm led to believe that no further tickets can be purchased, is that correct?

When do existing tickets need to be used up by, is it 12 months after your resignation date?

SOPS
28th Jun 2016, 13:37
Just a suggestion....and things may have changed in the 15 months since I have left....but if you need to go to Etisalat, I suggest you get there at 7.30. Otherwise you will wait in a big queue.

Uplink
28th Jun 2016, 15:38
Just want to confirm something ref resignation at EK. When you resign, my understanding is that it is 90 days to your last working day. Does that include the Visa Cancellation (which I think they block out as 3 days)?

In addition, how soon after visa cancellation can you leave? If you have everything wrapped up by say a Wednesday, can you leave the next day on a repatriation ticket ?

bittersweetheart
28th Jun 2016, 20:59
Uplink,

90 days do include Visa Cancellation. On your very last day you get your passport back, hand in your ID & Medical cards, and get your final settlement.

Friends have left the following day, but did find it very stressful. I left 2 days later instead, which I meant I didn't have to run around like a headless chicken.

All in all the EK side of leaving and repatriation was handled very well for me. I do suggest booking a meeting with your leaving coordinator early on. That helped me clarify a lot of questions. The same team were also readily available on phone and email.

sluggums
29th Jun 2016, 17:46
It is kinda funny that the only people in the bouncy castle who are consistently praised are the leaving team/coordinators. ��

VLS with ice
30th Jun 2016, 10:10
Well, they had a lot of practice lately.....

Jolly Foreigner
30th Jun 2016, 15:19
Uplink - I had everything pretty much closed down, cancelled, and family and pets out of Dubai around two weeks before my last day of service. I checked out of EGHQ after a bit of queue shuffling in employee services and left the same night. Be sure to ask your coordinator for the company provided accommodation for your last few nights in Dubai, they don't readily advertise the fact that you are entitled to it.

Good luck!

JF

Wizofoz
7th Jul 2016, 08:56
WRT company accommodation-

We moved from Silicon after bein g there for seven years, so the villa was due a painting. We left some picture hooks in the walls, we were not charged for the removal/filling/repaint there.

We moved to Flamingo three years ago- will we get slugged for the walls if we leave hooks up?

If so, does someone have a local handy-person who could fill/touch up cheaper than the company will slug us?

BYMONEK
7th Jul 2016, 19:17
JF

I thought you were entitled to a night or 3 in a hotel before you left, such as travel lodge?

tomuchwork
7th Jul 2016, 20:04
When I was working in the ME I always had 2(!!) passports. My european(mainland) home country did issue that after I told them I had to work in the ME(Qatar to be precise, it was enough to show them my company ID and my QR Visa) and that my employer may keep my passport which is really inacceptable to european standard.

So, I always had a "backup" passport ready to run in worst case to the embassy and have my way out of there. Would suggest everyone still down there(why the hell is still someone down there ^^) to have the same precautions taken.

ryanb5005
7th Jul 2016, 20:30
How can a second passport help you leave the country? It won't contain a legal tourist visa.

Fearless Leader
8th Jul 2016, 02:09
You get the 2 extra nights in a hotel, ONLY if you already are in Company Accommodations.

uba737
8th Jul 2016, 04:17
Ladies and Gents, quick question. Can the company take away your assigned leave while serving your notice? Thanks!

PPRuNeUser0215
8th Jul 2016, 12:59
They will try. Ask to have it reinstated by emailing all the departments you can think of ( the higher the better ).

Jolly Foreigner
8th Jul 2016, 20:42
BYMONEK - yes you are quite correct, but when I left last year ahead of what appears to have been a bulge in resignations, unless you knew it was an entitlement it was well screened from view. I wasn't aware of the entitlement until a fellow escapee told me.

uba737
14th Jul 2016, 19:06
Can someone tell me where I can find the information on how much EK pays us for each Vacation Day not taken after resignation? Thanks!

donpizmeov
14th Jul 2016, 19:09
Basic salary, multiply by 12. Divide answer by 365, gives per day amount.

uba737
14th Jul 2016, 19:14
Thanks Don, was expecting something more complicated and less in my favor from EK!

RunSick
15th Jul 2016, 16:58
Quick question to wine lovers. If you have build a collection over here, is it true that you won´t be allowed to take it back home due to UAE customs restrictions? It sounds a bit strange for me but somebody working on a shipping company told me this. Any info will be appreciated.

Sheikh Your Bootie
15th Jul 2016, 19:03
i offer you special price habibi :ok::ok:

Best idea is to run the good stuff back to wherever you are from, when you can before you leave, or have one helluva party!! Message me your location habibi :ok:

SyB :zzz::zzz:

BLOGGSON
17th Jul 2016, 05:51
RunSick

Recently sent a 20 foot container of stuff back to Europe, for our retirement pad there. Shippers were emphatic that no alcohol, foodstuffs or any liquid was permitted. Maybe different rules if you're sending outside Europe.

Bloggs

RunSick
17th Jul 2016, 06:09
Hi Bloggson, thanks for the info. Just to clarify, the issue was with EUROPE requirements, not UAE?

SYB I´ll keep that as an option.

Happy flights back home!

thrustidle74
17th Jul 2016, 06:41
One thing to keep in mind with the containers... The container may sit in the summer heat up to a week or two.
We never thought about that, and 2 boxes of expensive candles turned up as soup of wax at the other end.
Your wine will definitely taste different.
I'd say try and take them back on your operating flights back home or go with the party option.

TI74

ruserious
17th Jul 2016, 08:48
Buy some flatnose beef for the BBQ and have a party, plenty of good grape juice available in civilisation

jercules
28th Jul 2016, 18:36
Has anyone had any experience with getting any loans paid off with their provident fund to get a clearance letter?
I would like to leave earlier than planned and if anyone has any experience with a similar situation with paying a loan off with the fund if at all possible.

Thank you

Maxwell Thrust
7th Aug 2016, 16:55
I have been told by HR that you can use your EK staff tkts upto 30 days after your last day (surprisingly generous!!) Has anyone that has already left had any experience with using the myidtravel.com (LH,AF,DL etc) id90's in the 30 days after leaving? As I have had mixed responses from staff travel on this one.

Thanks in advance

Max

Kusack
30th Aug 2016, 07:49
Can someone please confirm which clearance documents EK will ask in the EOS process? e.g. DEWA clearance, bank clearance etc.

Laker
1st Sep 2016, 11:58
apologies in advance if this has already been covered. If you have already given your resignation notice and call sick for a 2 day trip do they deduct those two days from your basic salary? Or is it treated like any other sick call? Is a fatigue sick call treated any different? Thanks!

CAT3A
1st Sep 2016, 20:03
Everything is treated as normal all the way till the last day.......then you just walk away like you never been part of the company.

Anyway for info
HSBC credit cards closed within a day(no problems and very easy), etisalat and DEWA needed a week, provident fund arrive in my bank in Europe within 10days.

Good luck everybody

bia botal
2nd Sep 2016, 08:34
apologies in advance if this has already been covered. If you have already given your resignation notice and call sick for a 2 day trip do they deduct those two days from your basic salary? Or is it treated like any other sick call? Is a fatigue sick call treated any different? Thanks!

Having just gone through the whole process Laker I can't imagine why you would care, the day I went to get my final check, I just looked at the deduction which were a lot less than I expected and just went "what ever"!!!! Took it to the bank and headed to the bar!

The entire process is quite slick, I had no horror moments, the EOS people can see everything that is needed so you only need to ask them, if you have had a loan that requires a clearance they will tell you. I asked for a bank clearance for my credit cards and was told by the bank I didn't need it. Eti****lat and Du both told me that any unpaid accounts will stop the visa cancellation so it appears when it comes to owing money to state owned companies they are all linked!

Beware if you intend to send items home via skycargo, you are allowed 300kg, however this does not necessarily mean weight as they do a complicated HxWxL measurement and it's easy to go over on items like tv's. And you will pay the Habibi tax. AED 180 for there overtime.

Got to check in, my bag was over weight, told the check out lady I was ex-crew, she told me she was working her notice and handed me my FC ticket, the Habibis waved me through at visa control, the champers never tasted better. Good luck all!!

JNPS
2nd Sep 2016, 14:24
Did you get lounge access?��

Odins Raven
2nd Sep 2016, 14:53
Did you get lounge access?��

I did, for the whole family.

Whether I was supposed to is another matter, but let's just say that manners go a long way :cool:

Odins Raven
2nd Sep 2016, 14:55
I did, for the whole family.

Whether I was supposed to is another matter, but let's just say that manners go a long way :cool:

And yes, the champagne tasted better than it ever had before! Never looked back, but don't want to get negative as that doesn't help the spirit of the guys who cannot leave for whatever reasons...

thatwasclose
2nd Sep 2016, 16:10
Guys has anybody had any experience with leaving with a mortgage concerning the end of service benefits ?

Rotating Bacon
2nd Sep 2016, 16:28
left over 3 months ago and still didn't get the retention money, I also have to fight for the refunds for tickets with other airlines, EK told me to contact the other airlines, they told me contact EK as they have to refund it, contacted myidtravel direct and they told EK to pay me

777boyindubai
2nd Sep 2016, 16:48
The crooks at EK also kept my retention money. Their dishonesty has cost them dearly as none of my extended family will fly with them again either on business or pleasure.That is over 30 tickets since I left. And yes, me and many others thought about suing. But you can't. As a semi-government company, UAE Labour Law doesn't apply to them. Utter deceitful liars. Imagine. You can't leave owing them money but they let you leave when they have no intention of paying you.

PPRuNeUser0215
2nd Sep 2016, 17:34
Guys has anybody had any experience with leaving with a mortgage concerning the end of service benefits ?

Hi,

I have spoken to NBD and HSBC about it and both replies were that as long as the monthly installments are covered, there is no issue.
Only personal loans ( car loans for example ) must be paid off before leaving.
You do not need to close your bank accounts either and if you keep a certain balance on your current account, you will get to keep your credit card and you debit card.
To avoid problems using your Online banking, keep a local mobile number so as in my case, I will just downgrade my contract with DU to a pay as you go.
It seems all pretty straight forward.

sbradley737
2nd Sep 2016, 19:09
You can have your visa cancelled owing money to DU and Etisalat. When I disconnected my service last year through both providers they close your online payment portal and you must make your final payment at one of their locations. Because of this inconvenience I refused to pay over 900 dhs out of protest. Never had an issue cancelling the visa or leaving Dubai (although I never plan to return to that God forsaken sandpit).

Macrohard
3rd Sep 2016, 04:44
"retention" money??? Out of the loop on that one.

nolimitholdem
3rd Sep 2016, 07:26
"retention money", about 4000AED they hold back in case you have some unpaid bill or lost ID or whatever for them to deduct from. Basically an imposed deposit. After a period of time sufficient to show that you paid everything, you're supposed to receive it along with any other outstanding monies, i.e. final pay, etc. Not to be confused with the Provident Fund money, which comes separately.

In my case I received 100% of my retention and PF, a few weeks after I left.

b777boy,

when you say they "kept your retention money", do you mean they made claims against it or just never sent it at all? Just curious as I haven't heard too much of that happening. Of all the wonderful EK departments I ever dealt with, EOS was probably the most efficient. But then, they're getting the most practice these days.

AMEX,

Can't speak to the mortgage specifically, but a small point about keeping accounts with a UAE bank after one leaves: they will probably start charging your account a monthly service charge that was waived while one was an EK employee. Probably not a huge amount, but irritating and of course no one will mention it...perhaps one could convince a bank manager to continue waiving it, who knows.

Leaving will make you wonder why you waited so long...

Cantbebothered
3rd Sep 2016, 11:36
On resignation is a repatriation ticket given to only the employee or family members too (wife+kids)?

Kapitanleutnant
3rd Sep 2016, 12:31
Re leaving money in a dubai bank.... When I left, I kept my NBD account open and asked about that. Was told they would start to levy a monthly charge if there was no activity on the account in 6 months time.

And yes... My opinion is as many others here have stated: The out processing was so much different than normal EK office workers simply saying, "No" to you... for no good reason I might add! They were efficient, friendly and seemed to genuinely want to help and give you the answers to your questions.

Gee, imagine that. What a concept!

K

gehenna
3rd Sep 2016, 12:46
Folks

I left 18 months ago, will no hassles.

Re keeping your bank account open, that will work until the bank asks you for a copy of your new residents visa, as I have just been asked for; needless to say I cannot produce one, and I guess my account will just lapse.

Regarding repatriation tickets when you resign, they are for your family and yourself, similar as to when you joined, unless any kids have appeared since!

Good Luck ...........

HornetDrvr
3rd Sep 2016, 18:38
1. Purchase outbound flight ticket.
2. Leave company ID and keys to house on coffee table.
3. Depart

...Hope this helped!

Rotating Bacon
4th Sep 2016, 17:23
why leave company ID? I kept it and enjoy cheap hotels, staff parking at airports and so on

Global_Global
5th Sep 2016, 20:31
why leave company ID? I kept it and enjoy cheap hotels, staff parking at airports and so on

Classic! Did the same and was able to use crew lanes for a long time even when wearing civies!

clear to land
6th Sep 2016, 09:27
Anyone managed to move a dog/dogs home without being forced into a second mortgage?

DuneMentat
6th Sep 2016, 12:03
Clear to land depends on the country. In the process of sending one back to Australia and it takes about 6 months.. Should be quicker to eu

donpizmeov
6th Sep 2016, 13:10
Does EU equal QLD? clear to land would not live anywhere else :)

clear to land
6th Sep 2016, 15:41
LoL don-that is so true. It is to Aus, have done the RNAT etc -just looking at actual transportation options to quarantine.

victorpapa
11th Sep 2016, 13:14
If you fill in the online Good Conduct Certificate
Do you select in or out of country Well Im in now but soon to be out?
Then it asks Request Certificate Required By? Airside Security UK?
Thoughts Suggestions...

Rotating Bacon
11th Sep 2016, 19:25
besides the 4000 they didn't transfer the last 2 months of my provident fund neither, they told me I will get it with the retention money, I left 4 months ago and didn't get anything

Odins Raven
11th Sep 2016, 19:38
Something fishy is going on here. They can't retain your provident - it's in the Isle of Man protected by their laws.

I left last October and got everything back as promised within the time frame. What's going on? Are they really that broke?

CAT3A
11th Sep 2016, 21:31
The last 2 months of provident fund payments they kept to be sent along with the 4000 retention money. I left nearly 2 months ago still waiting.

777boyo
12th Sep 2016, 04:36
Took 12 weeks to get my retained Provident Scheme funds after leaving, and I believe from others that that was a fairly typical time frame at the time. (I'd sent a reminder email to my leaving coordinator after about 9 weeks and she assured me the payment had been approved, but the processing would take another couple of weeks). Two months is probably not unusual.

7B

JNPS
12th Sep 2016, 05:55
7b;
In what currency did you take the fund? Nick Foxton is assuring me if you take it in dhs., it is paid with your final money on last day.

777boyo
12th Sep 2016, 06:11
JNPS,

I'd elected to remain in the Provident Scheme at that stage as a Deferred Member, so there was no transfer of my entire holdings. The only money transferred to me along with the usual with-held amount was the final two months contributions. Because of the delay, I took the funds in USD, and it was not transferred to my home country, UK.

Just as an aside, one of my buddies who left at the same time was warned by his accountant to ensure that his Provident Scheme funds arrived back in UK prior to his physical arrival in the country in order to avoid any possible tax liability on the money. Obviously I don't know whether other countries rules are different.

7B

JNPS
12th Sep 2016, 12:06
777b
Thanks, the taxation issue is the reason I asked, as it applies to us. (Canada). So the plan is to take it in dirhams, deposit in NBD account, electronic transfer same day if possible. 1 business day later, funds should be in Canada. We leave when funds are confirmed in Canada, hopefully 2 days after last day at EK.
That's the plan for now.

CAT3A
12th Sep 2016, 12:21
777B,

Thanks for the info, I will wait a few more weeks then