PDA

View Full Version : Alternative headset idea?!

4th Oct 2014, 19:11
Probably a non-runner, but is it possible to use a "modern gaming headset" instead of an "aviation headset" in an airliner?

Gaming headsets are a fraction of the price for the same build quality and better features.

From an initial look, the mic on a two plug(Boeing or GA) headset is 0.206 inch/5.25mm while the audio is 0.25/6.35mm. A normal gaming headset only has one pin of 1/8 inch/3.5mm which provide both audio in and speech out.
So what one would need is an adapter or splitter from the 3.5mm to the two plug needed in the flightdeck.

So for the techies, is this possible?

OhNoCB
4th Oct 2014, 20:18
I thought about this in the past but after asking around bit came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it. The main problems were (from what I remember) that it might be very temperamental with intercoms and different headsets, because they weren't designed to work this way and also that the mic on them might not be good enough at cancelling background noise. Gaming headsets (depending on the model) can often also be designed to produce a certain frequency range well, typically higher treble for FPS games to hear gunshots and footsteps, and this is not ideal for voice.

peekay4
4th Oct 2014, 20:20
Possible? Yes.

There are however some problems:

- On the output side, the speakers in your gaming headset are of low impedance (usually around 16-32 ohms per side, stereo), whereas aviation headsets are of high impedance (> 300 ohms per side, stereo). As a result the audio level will be very "hot" and you will need to turn down the radio volume to near minimum. Low impedance headsets are sometimes more susceptible to electrical damage.

- On the input side, you have the reverse problem. The microphone on a gaming headset is passive (unpowered), while aviation headsets have active powered mics. This means the volume from your gaming mic will be way too low to be heard over the radio. To solve this, you need to add a pre-amp, and power it using some sort of battery -- which is also adding a point of failure.

- If you fly GA aircraft (or even some commercial jets, e.g., 737s), the cockpit environment is very loud/noisy. Most gaming headsets were not designed to work in this environment. E.g., they do not have heavy ear-cups for noise isolation, the microphone pattern is not directed enough (will pick up tons of background noise), etc.

- Lastly, there is debate on the legality of using non-aviation certified equipment. In the US at least, there have been lawsuits / court cases involving the use of non-TSO'd headsets. (The FAA requires TSO aviation headsets to conform to a stringent standard known as RTCA DO-214). At least one headset accessory manufacturer I know of was forced to pass through the FAA TSO process before the equipment can be used aboard certain airlines.

- Personally, I don't believe most gaming headsets are generally "of a better quality" than TSO'd headsets, where it counts (reliability, build quality, etc.) They do sound better for music (they have a more expansive frequency range) but for flying I'd take my David Clarks over my Logitech gaming headset 100% of the time. :)

MisterFred
5th Oct 2014, 12:45
I thought I'd warn that "gamer headsets" are notorious for having terrible microphones. Nor do many offer much protection for your ears, passive or not. Your hearing is worth a few hundred bucks.

Metro man
10th Oct 2014, 05:03
My company has a list of approved headsets that can be used in the A320, anything else has to be checked with engineering. Not all models from a manufacturer are approved and are able to be used.

We have had issues with non approved headsets, without going through all my company emails I think there was a missed communication from ATC due to flat batteries on a (non approved) noise cancelling set.

KRviator
10th Oct 2014, 08:05
I use my Bose QC15 ANR headphones with a UFlyMike microphone adapter. Works well, and hundreds of dollars cheaper than a Bose X set...

Dogma
10th Oct 2014, 18:49
What are the odds of a UflyMike fitting the new Wireless Bose headset

Looks great

RVF750
11th Oct 2014, 07:26
I use a Bose A20 in the 737 and most of my colleagues do too. Personally, I use it for only one reason. I really want to retire still able to hear the mumbling of my grandchildren. That's at least 20 years away so I need a good headset!

Cutting corners on price is a foolish thing, hearing damage is permanent.