PDA

View Full Version : Landing in a tree...video

Captivep
17th Aug 2013, 09:20
LiveLeak.com - Plane crash lands on top of trees

Ryan5252
17th Aug 2013, 09:38
Preliminary report here (http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20130812X25533&key=1).

According to the pilot’s statement and an on-board video, the engine experienced a partial loss of power after takeoff. While executing a crosswind turn, the engine experienced a total loss of power. The pilot maneuvered to execute a forced landing into trees.

I'm saying nothing (this time) :p

arem
17th Aug 2013, 14:56
Apparently Felthorpe in Norfolk also has one in the trees - so I am told!!!!!!

aviate1138
17th Aug 2013, 15:44
Why did he stay so low for so long!

Echo Romeo
17th Aug 2013, 16:07
Extraordinary, what type was it?

PAPI-74
17th Aug 2013, 16:21
Wow! So many other options.
There isn't a problem using a long runway for a bit of fun, but always have an 'out' and be ready to convert speed to height or the right field.

There were two great fields - one straight ahead and one off to the 10 o'clock.
If you really had to, turn left and land behind the black car traveling left to right - the road / highway was clear.
Clearly not the right mind-set and nothing was planned.:=

subsonicsubic
18th Aug 2013, 04:51
Natural selection dropped the ball there.

There were options available and there would have been many more with a bit more altitude. It takes a minute to formulate a plan for an unfamiliar runway. If flying from home base there should be plenty of preplanned options.

Glad they made it out in one piece.

Cows getting bigger
18th Aug 2013, 06:21
There were options? There was only one non-option and the pilot seems to have picked it! :)

Ka6crpe
18th Aug 2013, 06:37
Decision to turn based on loss of power after take-off: Straight ahead to the hospital, turn for the cemetary. :ugh:

tmmorris
18th Aug 2013, 08:00
Looks to me like he tried to turn back to the cross-runway...

(edited - durr, that's a road, isn't it...)

abgd
18th Aug 2013, 08:06
Actually found it difficult to follow what was happening here - everything seemed to happen much faster than I would expect (yes, I know everybody says that!).

The wide angle on the camera makes it very difficult to judge altitude/speed. I suspect that when the engine stopped they were much lower and had fewer options than it first appears. Silly or not, nice to know they made it.

Sick
18th Aug 2013, 12:48
It looks like airspeed is dropping, with the nose coming up and sinking, as he crosses the upwind threshold. I think the sharp turn to line up with the road would have risked a spin, with the next stop, the cemetery - at least he kept it flying. With the benefit of hindsight, the field to the left looks better than turning right (although it still looks full of problems) but he could have done much worse.

airpolice
18th Aug 2013, 19:17
The aircraft's red beacon is not on until he is lining up, he's not making use of the entire runway, although it is very long in terms of his needs, and I suppose we give him the benefit of the doubt on pre take off run up having been edited out.

But, despite all the options, I don't think he saw the tree until he was in it, he's looking back at the airfield, off to his right, most of the time.

Can anyone tell me what the legal position is with the FAA and fitting of a camera to the outside of such an aircraft? I'm sure there is a difference between having a licensed aircraft engineer doing it, and the pilot just getting a few cable ties and hoping for the best. This has the look of a kit build, if so, is there not some inspection required if you deviate from the plans?

mad_jock
18th Aug 2013, 19:32
nah its fine over there.

You can fit a motor prop and wings to a bed and if you have the balls go an fly it as an experimental.

Maybe he had been reading PPrune and decided he like the point of view biggles had when he used the second runway at Dundee.

Frightened nose gear
18th Aug 2013, 19:39
The odds were stacked against him the tree had a faster climb rate than his aircraft.

tartare
19th Aug 2013, 02:48
Frankly, I had a bad feeling about the way it was going to end after the guy made the `horns of rock' sign to the camera underneath the fuselage right at the beginning...;)