View Full Version : I screwed up...I infringed!

d192049d
16th Aug 2013, 13:32
Just a few words to highlight my recent ****up for the benefit of others.

I recently cut the NW corner of the EGBB CTA whilst flying over Lichfield...I was legal until I decided to climb a few miles too early and bust the floor by 200 feet or so. Did not know until I landed back and had the "please call the watch controller message". I immediately did so and apologised profusely but what did I learn?

Always know where you are...no really know where you are!
Think before you act...can I climb here...can I turn here?
At least be on the same QNH...I wasn't ...use the ATIS if flying the vicinity of controlled airspace
Be on the correct frequency...I was not...I should have made the effort to call...be identified...and shared my plans
Finally if you do screw up and you know it...fess up preferably via RT...or at the very least via phone as soon as practicable

Safe flying

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
16th Aug 2013, 13:38
This may be more beneficial if posted in the Private Flying forum?

Meanwhile, say ten thousand Our Fathers and you'll be absolved.

d192049d
16th Aug 2013, 13:51
Agreed HD...I will do so and thanks for the absolution!

soaringhigh650
16th Aug 2013, 14:44
That's why you should always call to transition the airspace several miles from the boundary.

If denied stay very clear laterally or go over the top if possible.

http://scottsasha.com/aviation/airspace/MHTsectional.jpg

DC10RealMan
16th Aug 2013, 21:56
I infringed the Aberdeen Control Zone a number of years ago and I am an air trafficer with thirty years flying experience and my co-pilot was a senior British Airways training captain.

It happens to the best of us.

The secret is to learn from it.

orgASMic
27th Aug 2013, 12:45
Hold on a minute. An honest report and some just responses? On PPRUNE?
Maybe that whole safety culture thing is starting to catch on. Good shows all round! :ok:

MPN11
27th Aug 2013, 16:30
Whilst doing a sole PPL cross-country, I believe I infringed the Upper Heyford MATZ. My Piper Colt caught the efflux of a B-47, and ISTR a succession of white Vereys being banged off in my direction.

Mea Culpa, albeit 50 years late.

Talkdownman
27th Aug 2013, 17:02
Mea Culpa
It's not possible for a civil aircraft to infringe a MATZ, and white pyrotechnic lights directed from an aerodrome to an aircraft in flight are meaningless.

Therefore you have no charge to answer, case dismissed.