PDA

View Full Version : Old Sarum Visitor - Airspace Questions.

Ampage
29th Jul 2013, 15:52
Hi All,

I've recently obtained my PPL. I am based at Cranfield and want to visit family living in Sailsbury. So naturally I've had a look at what airfields are nearby. Old Sarum looks like the most sensible option, however having a quick look at the map, it is surrounded by some pretty restrictive looking airspace.

From Cranfield, I would be coming in from the North East, which unfortunately puts me right through the Boscombe ATZ and danger areas. - I've not had a proper look at their procedures yet but looking at Old Sarum's website it appears they like people to join from the south outside of the MATZ.

Has anyone had any experience with transiting the Boscombe Down MATZ and Danger Zones from the North East? Is it far easier to just route around the east side of the whole lot or are the ATC fairly helpful with granting crossings?

Thanks.

robin
29th Jul 2013, 17:43
A lot easier at the weekends but one thing it doesn't show is the parachuting procedures.

It isn't in Pooleys or anywhere so you need to search for it on the interweb.

Talkdownman
29th Jul 2013, 18:05
For peace of mind for a low-timer it's pretty pipsy via Chilbolton and Alderbury. Nobody can say no to that...(unless Prince George is having an outing in Salisbury...)

hobbit1983
29th Jul 2013, 18:29
I fly from OS. If you're popping down during the week, I'd recommend that you give Boscombe a call and request a transit via Chilbolton to Alderbury. They're normally pretty accommodating. Then follow the procedures here EGLS Information | oldsarumairfield.co.uk (http://www.oldsarumairfield.co.uk/site/pilot-services/procedures-a-information.html)

If you're coming during the weekend, same route but don't bother calling Boscombe - they'll be closed. Again follow the procedures on the link, but bear in mind that if parachute procedures are active, you'll need to loop around and join either downwind for 24 or base for 06 from the southwest; the DZ is directly south of the runway.

Any questions please feel free to ask/PM.

Talkdownman
29th Jul 2013, 19:24
give Boscombe a call and request a transit via Chilbolton to Alderbury. They're normally pretty accommodating
It's a Standard Groove for me. I just do it, plus I tell them I'm doing it. They've never not 'accommodated' it. It's not in their hair. All I get back is 'avoid the VP ATZ' which I have to anyway. Some lovely scenery down that Test Valley too...

tmmorris
29th Jul 2013, 19:37
If like me you like VOR navigation, go CPT - Middle Wallop overhead (can't miss it!), Alderbury.

For a low hours PPL the last few minutes will be a bit hairy. Everything happens fast once you get to Alderbury. Make sure you hit Alderbury at circuit height and speed, and before you fly, take a look on google earth to ensure you know what it looks like (its where the road and railway join up). Also, find out what runway OS are likely to be using before you go, so you are prepared for what heading to turn onto at Alderbury, but LISTEN in case they've changed!

OS itself is easy to spot - look for Old Sarum itself (hill fort) and go east a bit...

Lovely place.

Tim

(PS talk to Boscombe Zone, and request MATZ penetration via MW overhead.)

chevvron
30th Jul 2013, 01:00
Shirley Boscombe is busy at weekends with UAS and AEF flying. I would recommend trying a call to Boscombe Tower 130.0; certainly 126.7 is unlikely to be answered.

this is my username
31st Jul 2013, 05:19
Boscombe MATZ is (almost always) closed at the weekend so you won't get a response on 126.7. Boscombe ATZ is active H24.

No need to call Boscombe at the weekend unless you are planning to fly through their overhead.

Ampage
31st Jul 2013, 11:45
Chaps,

Thanks a lot for the responses. All very useful information. I will do my research and probably make the trip in a few weeks.

Thanks again!