PDA

View Full Version : Plane catches fire on landing at Moscow's Vnukovo Airport

Alanwsg
18th May 2013, 16:29
Plenty of people manhandling their luggage down the shutes...
BBC News - Plane catches fire on landing at Moscow's Vnukovo Airport (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22579630)

BOAC
18th May 2013, 16:32
Glad they all got their handbaggage off:ugh:

fireflybob
18th May 2013, 18:35
Was it actually on the runway or is this journo speak for the taxiway and/or ramp?

BOAC, long as they've got their duty free!

Quite an orderly evacuation - they all seem quite nonplussed by the situation, maybe this is why:-

jon stewart on an unfazed russia over the meteor explosion

captplaystation
18th May 2013, 20:22
Very important to carefully lower the bag down the flap (don't want to break the Voddie bottle :D )

PAXboy
18th May 2013, 22:29
This should be used as a training video in ALL carriers.

Yes - they will open the overwing exits and walk out.
Yes - they might slide off.
Yes - they will take their baggage with them.
Yes - they might do everything they are told not to do.

Seriously - a free training for everyone involved with pax. And I am pax!

Sunnyjohn
19th May 2013, 08:09
It's a pity that there aren't any statistics to show how many people die needlessly in air accidents because they insist on trying to evacuate with their baggage.

CargoOne
19th May 2013, 08:11
Sunnyjohn

Simply because there are none.

Exascot
19th May 2013, 08:20
Unbelievable.

Didn't see anyone coming down the slide with a cigarette hanging from mouth though.

Heathrow Harry
19th May 2013, 08:20
and of course anyone normal SLF watching this clip will say

"hey ! They got out with their luggage! So much for all that safety s***!!"

Capt Claret
19th May 2013, 08:28
A mate ordered an evacuation on the apron at BNE (YBBN) some years ago, mid taxi for takeoff due to smoke/fumes in the cabin. There happened to be a CASA person or two amongst the pax. I believe the cabin crew were criticised on the spot because many of the pax arrived at the door and went down the slide with their briefcase/laptop/etc IN SPITE of the instructions.

I guess the cabin crew should have said "stop everything, put your luggage back in the locker, were not evacuating until you do. Even if we all burn to death"! :ugh:

Oakape
19th May 2013, 09:24
Yep, CASA people. Got to love them - they know the book inside out, don't you know! :E. Real world - what is that? :ugh:

TBSC
19th May 2013, 09:42
It's not quite reassuring to see how those people try to slide down while others are standing at the wingtip, eventually rescued by a ladder (while it seems that someone actually jumped down from the wing towards the nose as well and lying on ground next to the engine at 00:28). :ooh:

crewmeal
19th May 2013, 09:51
I would have thought the last exits to use would be the overwings if there was an undercarriage fire. If there was a strong wind and the flames were fanned either side then there could have been problems.

Semaphore Sam
19th May 2013, 10:35
Any idea what caused the fire? When did they realize they had a fire, and, what were their actions? I know these considerations are secondary to baggage handling...Sam

Clear_Prop
19th May 2013, 11:14
On the Vnukovo video it's interesting to note that apart from the instructive evacuation, the airport fire crew still seem to be trying to extinguish the fire with water alone by the time the wing is fully laden with pax wondering how to get off (ahh, if only they'd looked at the safety briefing card).*And is it just me or is there a nice leak from the hose?

LookingForAJob:

The "nice leak fom the hose" is called a pressure relief valve and its doing its job to prevent the professional firefighter holding the branch from ending up in A&E due to anything overloading in his hands.

Secondly, water alone is an accepted practice when dealing with a wheel fire, because the fire is external and localised so the object is to keep the temperature down until the fire runs out of energy, minimising secondary damage to the a/c from firefighting media. However, if you actually watch the video you will see that the professional firefighters are using water plus foam. probably because of the slow evacuation of all the dozy people who "escaped" onto the wings.

fireflybob: The Jon Stewart video was hilarious :D

Clear_Prop
19th May 2013, 11:24
SemaphoreSam:

Its a brake fire caused by overbraking in high temps, fairly common occurance. The temps in Moscow have soared in the last week or so. Standard procedure is to evacuate though I'm not so sure this company's SOP includes using wing exits for evac with a wheelfire. I suspect this is Self Motivated Pax Syndrome as evidenced by the fact they all took their bags.

awblain
19th May 2013, 19:23
I'm not sure that the temperature of the tarmac makes a huge difference to the chance of a fire. The wheel has soaked at -60C for a while, and then reaches X hundred C with the energy of half a 737 in it. In that context, whether it's -30C or +30C on the ground probably doesn't make a huge difference to the chance of a fire.

There are no flight attendants near those overwing exits on a 737. I'm certainly unclear myself about when and whether to open the exit as a passenger in those seats, beyond looking at the safety card symbols for not in water and not if you can see fire or sharp debris.

I once asked a Dash-8 flight attendant about what would happen if she wanted me to open the underwing exit, and got no clue at all from the failed conversation that ensued.

Clear_Prop
19th May 2013, 23:29
Yes, I doubt a few dozen determined Russian's would care less what the cabin crew were saying, and I don't mean to single out our Russian cousins by putting it that way either, I'm sure many other crowds would act in the same way... "It's an emergency, here's the exit so I'm going through it... and I only bought hand baggage anyway so to hell with what they are saying my bag is coming with me"

As for the temps, not clear whether your reply was in response to mine or not, or just a separate observation - I agree with what you are saying regarding ground temp not being a factor. If that was in reply to my comment, I wasn't referring to ground temp either, I was referring to air temp - basic Perf (A) stuff, if the OAT is much ISA+LOTS your margin to braking overtemp is severely reduced, thus increasing likelihood of brake ignition. The same braking effort (or autobrake setting) a week earlier might not have been a problem.

dixi188
20th May 2013, 05:56
If the wheel brakes are in good condition, even at the wear limit, Max braking on landing should not cause a fire regardless of OAT!
Stopping a 737 at max landing weight from say 130 kts. is a lot less energy than stopping from say 160 kts. at max T.O. weight when rejecting, and the brakes are designed to do this.
I suspect there was a fault with something.

mickjoebill
21st May 2013, 23:12
It is worthy of note that many passengers were apparently not sure what to do once they reached the wing.

Perhaps we are becoming too accustomed to the videos of passengers sliding down shoots?

Aviaservice
22nd May 2013, 04:19
The price of life is too low here, sad!

The Golden Rivet
22nd May 2013, 09:04
Most brake fires are from incorrect grease in the lower part of the gear, there are 6 areas on the 737 main gear that must be greased correctly or scenes like this happen! :ugh:

smiling monkey
22nd May 2013, 10:34
Perhaps the passengers saw it differently and thought leaving their hand luggage on board would only add fuel to the fire? How many percent alcohol is duty free vodka again? LOL! :E