PDA

View Full Version : Which medical to go for? Class 1 or 2?

jcorry
18th Mar 2013, 11:23
Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum so sorry if the post is wrong.

I am looking at starting my EASA PPL training as I have an ambition tobecome a professional pilot.

I am aware you require a Class 2 medical examination to be able to fly soloduring your PPL training.

I am looking into getting my medical before starting the training.

As I have the ambition to become a commercial pilot, would you guys recommendgetting a Class 1 medical before starting my PPL, to ensure I know I will beable to hold a Commercial license?

Thanks in advance for any replies. :ok:

mad_jock
18th Mar 2013, 13:43
Get the class 1 done before you spend a penny on training if you have issues it will save you a fortune if you only want to do commercial.

If you can't get a class 1 go fly gliders or microlights you get much better value for money flying them as a hobby.

Once your class 1 runs out it degrades to class 2 rights for the class 2 period. You only need to bring back up to class 1 to get your commercial license issued.

JDA2012
18th Mar 2013, 13:43
When I was looking into this I was advised that it was best to get the Class 1 out of the way if looking at a PPL as an avenue to going commercial, as you don't want to drop thousands on training and only then find that you are barred anyway.

The cost of the medical is much less than any PPL training and in my opinion money well spent. You will, of course, need to travel to Gatwick for your initial medical, but thankfully you do not need to go back afterwards.

The report of my Class 1 trip is here and gives quite a lot of detail on the process and costs: http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/488260-class-1-medical-passed-bonus-eye-lung-tests-trip-report.html.

mary meagher
18th Mar 2013, 13:46
Hello, jcorry.....

It is a very good idea to go to an AME - an aviation medical exam, even a class 2, could end up saving you pots of money if they find something that would keep you from your ambition of becoming a commercial pilot, so getting the medical before starting the training is a first class idea!

Even if there were a problem, becoming a commercial pilot is not a lot of fun these days, if you read the moans and groans of those sitting in the pointy ends pushing buttons. There are a lot of ways to enjoy flying; probably the best is to have a qualification that enables you to fly for pleasure, with a job that pays properly.... These days some airlines are making hopefuls to pay for type ratings, and then they still don't get a job.

jcorry
18th Mar 2013, 14:51
I suppose the general verdict is get that medical before spending any money.

mad_jock
Thanks for your reply I didn't know that once the class 1 expires it drops to a class 2.

JDA2012
Thanks for your advice. I suppose it's the best way. Thanks for the report.

mary meagher
Thanks for your advice. To be honest I hope to work for a small aviation company. I have a friend who became a PPL instructor which really appeals to me.

Thanks for your information it is much appreciated.

Pace
18th Mar 2013, 15:45
They all expect low time Pilots to finance type ratings how much is the big question. Organisations like CTC and their selection process and close affiliation to Easy Jet made things much easier and secured a place for at least six months but it still costs.
Just going out and buying a type rating still does not make you attractive as zero line time.
Yes its a mountain to climb but some like climbing mountains :)
Go for the initial class I as once the initial is done follow ups are easier and you will know whether there are any major problems.

Pace

flybymike
18th Mar 2013, 16:55
I have a friend who became a PPL instructor which really appeals to me.
In that case you will never, ever, ever, make a living from aviation.;)

mary meagher
18th Mar 2013, 22:11
have you thought about a career in education? teaching kids is tough but satisfying, and you get the summer off to go flying....