PDA

View Full Version : Fairchild Argus (again)

FNG
22nd Apr 2002, 15:24
Now that you've read the cover story in this month's "Flyer", and can see what a fabulous machine this is, which of you wants to join me in buying the lovely silver Argus, wearing D-Day stripes, which is currently for sale. I have seen and drooled over this very aircraft at Little Snoring. The plan would be to keep it close to London (Rush Green maybe? any vacancies?), fly it and, er, stroke it a lot. OK, it's a bit thirsty, and not super quick, but who cares when four can sit in 1940s station wagon comfort and land at short strips in lovely places.

Negative 'G'
22nd Apr 2002, 18:52
I take it your referring to G-AJPI, the former Liverpool resident,I had the opertunity to fly her several times and can remember the occasions very well, 4 up & full of fuel off a short grass strip presented no problems.
If I remember correctly it was fairly twitchy in x winds and with only having brakes from the LH Seat this caused certain pilots to perform "joint" landings on several occasions :D

G-AJPI is fitted with an in-line ranger engine although I'm sure one of the owners told me once that it was originally fitted with the lower powered Warner scarab radial type.
The A/C suffered a landing gear collapse whilst at Liverpool during the early nineties which is when it was repaired and repainted into its present colour scheme.
Landing gear collapses where apparently fairly common with the type due to a design flaw,the fix for this was to install an additional (Fairchild approved) rear u/c strut brace which the majority of A/C had done as a modification including G-FANC however for some reason this was never done to AJPI even after its mishap

Oh what nice memories of a super perfoming VINTAGE head turning Aircraft,Good luck to anybody who is fortunate enough to purchase it.

Neg G :D

FNG
23rd Apr 2002, 10:02
The aircraft used to be in the ATA, so really ought to come home to White Waltham. Here, from the Fairchild fan Club website, are some reminiscences from ATA pilot Ann Welch:-

FAIRCHILDS IN ENGLAND DURING WW II

FAIRCHILD ARGUS, we liked having you in ATA.
When ferrying aeroplanes in WW II pilots needed to return to base quickly - so as to shift more aeroplanes. If for or five Spitfires were flown from Southampton to Oxfordshire their pilots would be collected by that marvelously forgiving twin, the Avro Anson. Its only drawback was that 146 turns were needed to hand crank up the undercarriage! The Anson could carry nine passengers but once I squeezed in as fourteenth, all with parachutes and overnight bags. The normally soft flexing of the wing tips gave way to a protesting tremble.
If, however, there was only one aircraft going in a different direction from all the others the pilot had three ways of returning home. 1. By train, slow and even slower through the Midland towns during bombing raids. 2. By hitching a ride in an RAF aeroplane that was going more or less in the right direction, and 3. Being collected by a small ATA 2-3 seater flown by a junior ferry pilot still learning her way around. Early in the war these little taxi aeroplanes were ex-civilian DH Puss and Leopard Moths overpainted in drab camouflage, which mostly carried only a single passenger. It was wasteful in both fuel and time having nothing between these and the Anson, so in 1942 it was a relief when the Fairchild Argus appeared on the scene. It had four seats and was faster. The first we had at Hamble, on England's south coast, was EV771. I do not remember how many Fairchilds ATA had for taxi work, but there must have been one or more at each ferry pool.
The Fairchilds were useful not only for collecting 2 or 3 pilots from one airfield but for rounding up those who had taken aircraft to different Maintenance Units (MUs) or Squadrons. In much of England there were airfields only 10 or so minutes flying time from each other and the Fairchild could do this sort of collecting more quickly and economically than the twin engine Anson. Most airfields in the early 1940s were all grass and with no ATC. A pilot wanting to land only had to assess the traffic, find a gap in it, and land - which a good pilot could do very quickly.
The Fairchild Argus was pleasant and straightforward to fly. As with all the aircraft we flew we had pilots notes on little cards (Anson and Fairchild enclosed) but it was discovered quite soon that while the approach speed stated was fine with only one or two on board it was not enough for four pilots with parachutes and overnight bags. Even in smooth air it was unwise to come in at anything less than 85 mph. This lesson, like many others, had been learnt the hard way when a pilot spun in on the approach killing himself and two passengers, both women ferry pilots. The third woman pilot survived and is alive today.
We liked our Fairchilds. They had comfortable seats, were warm in winter and on hot summer days the two pilots in the front could take off their shirts and have the rare opportunity to sunbathe while flying home.
Many thanks for the Fairchild Fan Club News and your letter. Hope the above piece is okay, but sorry no photos. The enclosed copies of A7A notes are actual size, but the original were on thin card I didn't even have these notes when I flew Air Cobras, but I am still here!

poetpilot
23rd Apr 2002, 12:13
grrrrrrrrr!!!! I've had a post up on the flyer forum trying to get a group together for owning one in the North West or W Midlands.

Only one taker so far though:(

However, there are two Arguses (Argii ? Argux ?) for sale, the other being the very one in the air test article. So, there are enough to go around......

So come on all you northerners/midlanders, who's up for something like a 1/10th share in this lovely old beastie?:D

LowNSlow
23rd Apr 2002, 15:06
FNG , if the Argus owner would be interested in taking a Cirrus engined Autocrat as payment for a share I would be very interested. Coincidentally, this would create a space in the hangar at Rush Green (you knew I was going to say that didn't you) :D

FNG
24th Apr 2002, 06:43
Thanks LownSlow,I've emailed you. Poet: good luck in putting a group on the green one. I want the silver one, although both are gorgeous.

poetpilot
24th Apr 2002, 07:35
FNG, thanks for that..... well yes, personally I preferred the look of the silver one meself..... but whichever is available as and when I get the interest... (only one other interested to date)

Maybe if you could keep it somewhere north of Watford......

FlyingForFun
24th Apr 2002, 08:24
You mean they have airfields north of Watford? :confused:

:D :p :D ;) :D

FFF
-----------

Hairyplane
24th Apr 2002, 09:34
Lovely machine!

Why are so few pilots prepared to risk an involvement in old planes? My Messenger G-AKBO - Kings Cup winner and marvellous provenance (OK its a bit patinated!) was offered for sale in Pilot a few years back at £15k. 23 time-wasters later I offered the full asking price and have had great fun with it - adding a Magister and Falcon too.

Lets be clear - you need a sense of humour when the bills come in - you need partners who are able to afford to operate it. Compound that with the number of people in a particular area that meet the criteria and you invariably have a problem. If you can afford it (there are no pockets in a shroud!) best in my book to own the aircraft outright and let the selcted few fly it.

Make sure you get to THe Great Vintage Fly In at Kemble May 10th-12th.

See you there?

poetpilot
24th Apr 2002, 13:43
FFF - eeeh lad, 'appen there are a few of them aerodrome things north of t'Watford, though most 'av cobbled runways....

If you fly high enough & near enough to the edge of t'world (just north of t'circuit at Cranfield), you may spot one or two in the grimy murk from t'mill chimneys......

Grimethorpe International comes highly recommended. You must take high viz. clogs with you though, as they are very particular about being seen through the smog on the apron. Air Traffic (or t'Gaffers as they are known) still insist on a man with a red flag in front of taxying aircraft. On the positive side, there are reduced landing fees for steam powered aircraft........ :p :p :p

FNG
25th Apr 2002, 08:14
Alas, Poetie, with you in Manchester and me in London, I fear that there is little chance of finding a base for the wondermachine that doesn't involve a huge faff for both of us, especially as my chart ends somewhere in the midlands with the words "here be dragons".

poetpilot
25th Apr 2002, 12:19
..indeed, indeed FNG. Still not getting enough interest oop north, so not looking a goer at this time. There's lots of shares going in boring things up here like PA28s and 172s, but everytime I'm tempted I just back off, knowing my preference is for more ancient (or just plain interesting) craft.

"...here be dragons, eh?" wonder if that' Coventry? as in Rapide? do Air Atlantique have one?

Negative 'G'
25th Apr 2002, 19:38
Sorry peeps I presumed the article was on G-AJPI (The silver one) but now that I've seen the mag it's actually G-RGUS (The Camo one), I would'nt be fussed which one if I could afford one :D

Just thought I'd clear it up.

Neg G

LowNSlow
18th May 2002, 07:14
FNG and I need another 2 pilots willing to make up a group around the silver Argus. It'll be based at Rush Green (nr LTN) a nice 550m strip with a secure, weather tight hangar.

It's not going to be as expensive as might be thought. Either email myself or FNG if you are interested.

Must be better to arrive in an Argus than a n other spamcan :D :D

Evo7
18th May 2002, 07:24
I wish I wish IwishIwishIwish... :(

Wrong place and I couldn't afford it - but best of british with her. Bring her down to Goodwood so I can blag a ride... :)

Hairyplane
18th May 2002, 09:18
Hi Guys,

I know that this is an Argus thread but if you ain't got the folding stuff you might consider my Messenger G-AKBO. Super Stol performance, 27mph stall, carries 4 in comfort with 5 hours fuel. 7gph. Fresh Annual. Much spent recently.

She starred in the opening sequences of 633 squadron and won the Kings Cup in 1954.

Currently at Old Warden and flown regularly. Great fun, incredibly shooooort take-off and landing - bit tricky in a crosswind.

Price will be well under £20k - might px - but not an Auster. Something I can sell on. Mind you - the cash would be better in view of my next aquisition....??!!

poetpilot
18th May 2002, 09:24
HAiryplane - please email me on [email protected]

LowNSlow
18th May 2002, 09:35
Hairyplane, you can actually sell an Auster on, honest, especially one as cute as mine. :D :D :D

Given my current hangarage situation, I need a high wing or biplane to fit in the slot left by the Auster.

Were they your Messenger and Maggie at Kemble last weekend?

What's the next planned acquisition then?

Negative 'G'
18th May 2002, 18:41
Good luck with obtaining 'G-AJPI' I'm sure you'll have loads of fun with her.
I'd look very seriously into throwing an extra few quid into the Pot & get the Undercarriage mod(I've mentioned it before) done on it ASAP.

Ahhhh Jealousy's a terrible thing..................... ;)

Neg G :D

LowNSlow
19th May 2002, 05:05
Negative g what does the undercarriage mod entail?

Negative 'G'
19th May 2002, 08:36
I'm no engineer, so to put it in laymans terms it's basically an additional strut that braces between the leg and the fuselage at the rear of the U/C, it has been authorised in this country because several other A/C have had it done (G-FANC) and I believe that it was mandatory in Switzerland where many reside.
Believe me, having seen the state that she ended up in several years ago and having spoke to another owner at the PFA Rally who also had it happen to his pride & joy, I'd definately research the "Mod" and put it at the top of my wish list.

Good luck whatever you do.

Neg G

LowNSlow
20th May 2002, 03:31
Ta Neg G it does sound like a very worthwhile mod. Still have to get the group sorted out first.......

C'mon chaps and chapesses it can't be only FNG and moi who'd love to get their sticky paws on this lovely aircraft :confused:

I've worked out approximate costs if anybody wants to drop me an email.

Hairyplane
20th May 2002, 08:36
Hi LownSlow - I know you of course!

Next aquistion - a secret - I got gazumped on a Storch last year.

Did my first display at OW on Saturday - check out www.levien.flyer.co.uk/ow1805.htom

I thought you were keen on aquiring a Miles aircraft? Don't know of too many with high wings!

My Messenger is a steeeaaaal.

I didn't have it at Kemble purely because we were a pilot short - I had planned to fly the Messenger in myself - perfectly airworthy. cleaned fueled and readied for the trip.

We had to make do with the Maggie and Falcon instead.

THe messenger you refer to is AKVZ from Biggin - similar scheme to mine.

My Falcon has folding wings - bet you would like that? Definately not for sale though!

All the best

LowNSlow
20th May 2002, 09:39
Hairyplane, great pictures. I take it you were flying the Maggie?

I'll pop over to OW when I get home and have a chat.

Hairyplane
20th May 2002, 14:57
Hi LownSlow

Glad you liked the pictures - you missed a great evening.

I was flying the Falcon - I don't have a formation DA yet.

My Email is [email protected]

All the best

formationfoto
20th May 2002, 19:33
Hairyplane
Messenger - poss for sale.

When you are clear about what you want to do with the maggie I would be interested in seeing whether I can get a small group around it at Seething. Slowly converting people to classic types. Would sit well alongside the Chippy and Tiger Moth.

Details when you are reday plse to:
[email protected] or try my mobile 07802 611647

Many thanks.

InFinRetirement
21st May 2002, 19:19
It's great to hear of the Argus again. I had the pleasure of flying 'PI' in May 1977 a few times, when it was owned by Leisure Sport. Those of us who were allowed a 'pole' loved it, and White Waltham was ideal for it's - shall we say 'characteristics.'

There is a picture of 'PI' on the wall in the clubhouse, taken at the time it was with LS. Dressed in Green with a nice big roundel.

Memories! Ah!!!

Negative 'G'
21st May 2002, 19:22
InFin,
Did it have its Ranger fitted then or was it still with its Scarab ?

Neg G

LowNSlow
24th May 2002, 05:28
InFin , fancy a share? Even if you don't could you share your memories of flying the Argus?

Hairyplane just out of interest, what's the cruise of the Messenger? Could you drop me an email with some stats / sizes cos I might just be able to shoe horn a Messenger into the hangar at Rush Green if the wingspan is less than the Auster.

InFinRetirement
24th May 2002, 18:11
Neg 'G'

It had the Ranger then. The Warner 'Scarab' would I think, have made it 'under-powered'. Whereas, the Ranger was fine.

LowNSlow

A share would be great but I have fully retired from flying, except when past colleagues give me a ride in the biggies now and again. But I am going to Popham in 'New Bloke's Fuji - looking forward to that.

Memories? I did write them up in a copy of Aeroplane a few months ago - the October issue. I remember an ocassion when the port door of 'PI' first flew open and then fell off. The effect was both alarming and interesting. The alarm was mine! The interest was that it flew with the nose wanting to turn to the left, and it wasn't very nice when you are sitting there with just a strap in a large opening. I had an aching right ankle for days! Nice aeroplane though. I

LowNSlow
25th May 2002, 04:08
InFin so that was you. I enjoyed the read.

If FNG and I eventually get this group together would you like to renew your aquaintance with the old girl (and the Argus of course). :D

InFinRetirement
25th May 2002, 05:43
LowNSlow

How could I possibly say no. To both offers! :D

LowNSlow
27th May 2002, 09:47
InFin It would be a pleasure. Send the old girl's phone number and I'll call her for you :D :D

PS Has she got a younger sister ? :D