PDA

View Full Version : Good De-brief? The rules?

jacqueline
28th Jan 2013, 19:22
What makes a good Line Training Captain?
What makes a good de-brief?
Any literature around?

fireflybob
28th Jan 2013, 19:51
I think the start of a good de-brief is "Well Bloggs, how did you feel about that - any points you'd want to mention?"

BEagle
28th Jan 2013, 21:06
"Well Bloggs, how did you feel about that - any points you'd want to mention?"

Nope, that's a total cop-out...:=

fireflybob
28th Jan 2013, 21:17
Come on Beags let's hear your words of wisdom then!

Private jet
28th Jan 2013, 21:46
"You did X,Y,Z right.... with A,B,C there is room for improvement, which will come with experience.". It always does, flying isn't difficult.

wiggy
28th Jan 2013, 21:54
"Well Bloggs, how did you feel about that :ugh: :ugh:

I know that's an often used line ..but I possibly went to the same big teachers school as Beags and so like him lines like that, and also the dreaded " How do you think it went" were a "no no" - and I still hate it when it's an opening gambit these days when I've been under check. I think it's really unfair on the student to ask him/her to assess their own performance from the "get go" but then again I've always been a softy :}

Personally it's a long time since I checked anyone but once upon a time my debrief template was:

1. Start by getting the pass/fail bit out of the way (and boy I used to really hate the fails) ...

2. Tell them what you really didn't like ,

3. Discuss any points of interest/grey areas,

4. Tell them what you did like....because even in the most dire fail there's was always something the student can take away as a "well done",

Always end on a positive point for the stude (and then you can chop him/her anyway:E).

fireflybob
28th Jan 2013, 22:17
Who said anything about being under check? I thought the originator of the thread was asking about a training flight?

Must be a very RAF thing not liking asking a trainee what he/she thought of his own performance then?

I agree there is a difference between ab initio and professional but when you are dealing with fellow professionals what is wrong with treating them with a bit of intelligence?

I have been on several CRM courses with highly qualified human factors people and their evidence was that this was a good strategy.

Judging by the attitude here am glad am not on receiving end of your debriefs!

wiggy
28th Jan 2013, 22:26
Well I suppose you could start with the time honoured phrase of :

"just a few points, mainly for my benefit"...

I have been on several CRM courses with highly qualified human factors people and their evidence was that this was a good strategy.

That's fine, I've been round the block just a bit - I know that doesn't count for much these days but despite what the HF people think I'm entitled, personally to the opinion that I, personally, still don't like the "how did you think it went" line, be it training, or a check, and I also know a lot of others who when asked don't like that approach either .....so maybe a one size fits all debrief doesn't work ... we're all individuals - right?

BTW being honest if I know I f'ed up I'm sure as hell not going to tell the trainer/checker...... I'm not paid to do the fault analysis anymore;)

Judging by the attitude here am glad am not on receiving end of your debriefed!

FWIW I'm so ancient and been "here" so long I've discovered a fair number of pruners were on the end of one of my debriefs in their/my previous life (and, BTW that's scary) - best you ask them their opinion.

At the end of the day:
Negative points
Interest Points
Positive points

vetflyer
28th Jan 2013, 23:54
Should good points not be mentioned first so that student feels good before negative ones?

wiggy
29th Jan 2013, 00:05
Your call - If you were under training what is the last thing you want to remember hearing in a debrief - the bad points or good points?

Dan Winterland
29th Jan 2013, 01:48
''Must be a very RAF thing not liking asking a trainee what he/she thought of his own performance then?''

Possibly - but one would hope the enlightenment would have filtered through to civilian instructor training. The reason why RAF QFIs don't ask the student how he thought it went was that they could have a very different idea of how their trip went. Of course, hearing about it it the debrief wouldn't help the score, but at least they don't get to feel awkward when they get to hear their theory debunked.

So:

1. Pass/fail first (if a test or scored sortie).

2. Start on a high note with a positive generalisation of the trip.

3. Analyse the sortie chronologicly making the points as brief as possible. If the trip didn't go well, if possible try and limit the bad points to about three biggies.

4. End on a high note. Even a bad trip can have something good that can be said about it, even if it's "At least we're still alive!"

5. And keep it brief. It's a 'de-brief', not a 'de-long!'

I went to the same instructor school as BEagle and Wiggy (and both have instructed me at some time in their career) and this is what we were expected to give as a debrief.

this is my username
29th Jan 2013, 06:29
The "praise sandwich":

Good stuff
Bad stuff
Good stuff
.... because you have to remember that in the world which I inhabit (which may not be relevant to the OP) the student is paying and is only committed as far as the current lesson, so if they leave feeling bad they might not come back!

PilotInPink
29th Jan 2013, 08:14
As a GA instructor my opinions may be a little different to the answers you're specifically looking for but I try to de-brief with the same four point format each time. A few years ago the RNZAF hosted a conference for aero club instructors and this is what I remember/ interpreted their debriefs to be:

1. SAFETY- Anything that compromised the safety of flight is most important and should always be brought up first.

2. BRIEFING- this is your chance to clarify anything from the pre-flight briefing that may have been unclear or misunderstood. Did we actually meet the objective of the flight? Was there anything that one party found unexpected but the other was aware of (good CRM points usually come up here)?

3. DOMESTICS- thing like, is the paperwork complete? Have we left enough fuel in the aircraft? Try writing the ATIS on paper, not the back of your hand. The list goes on and on. This is the time to bring up anything relevant that doesn't fit into the other categories- I sometimes like to think of this as an airmanship review.

4. AIR EX- the specific points about the air exercise. This is when I talk about the how the student actually performed on the day and how they can improve. Using a steep turn lesson for example, it may be that the student needs to look at the horizon more often or check over/underbanking tendencies.

TheOddOne
29th Jan 2013, 08:23
I've just been through the process of becoming an RTF examiner, never having been an examiner before. This involved being assessed by a CAA Inspector, 2 written exams, a full practical and a practice 'Bloggs' de-brief.

The first point he made to me is that you NEVER give the result of the test until AFTER the de-brief. His reasoning was that as soon as you give a 'pass or fail' statement, you might as well shut up as the candidate will have stopped listening. He even nagged me during the de-brief role-play into giving the result half way through and then pointed out that I should have waited until the end.

I like the 'praise sandwich', not heard it called that before, but it's what I try to do in post-flight debriefs. I must admit to occasionally asking how they thought it went, but usually after the de-brief. Sometimes, they'll pick up on things I've not taught well or missed out, I need feedback, too!

Cheers,
TOO

Whopity
29th Jan 2013, 10:10
The first point he made to me is that you NEVER give the result of the test until AFTER the de-brief.This may be historical and does not originate in the flying training World. RTF testing predates the CAA and was originally conducted by the Aeronautical Telecommunications Dept of the ATC Service. Responsibility moved to the newly formed CAA in 1974. The test routes and methodology have changed little over the years.

mad_jock
29th Jan 2013, 11:02
We are talking about line training here its not a test its a series of flights with PAx in the back with a number of things which have to be covered over the series of flights. The line check at the end is a test ish.

Now personally I find you have to have different styles depending on what you are doing.

You have 5 Main types of line training depending on the pilot.

1. First job commercially

2. New on type but has flown multicrew typed aircraft before

3. Allready typed but converting to company SOP's

4. Intial Command course.

5. Direct Entry Captain current on type.

Each of them you have different issues with and also different styles of teaching. And also different styles of debriefing.

Also to note what works well with some doesn't work well with others.

The **** sandwich approach does work well for numbers 1 and 4 but for the others it doesn't really allow for the debrief to start discussions which you really need to find out if everything is understood.

To that end the starting of a briefing with "so then whats the points from today" can actually be quite good especially when your only really dealing with the company procedure for scratching your arse. They can fly and know how to fly the machine.

Its also quite good at finding out if they actually consider themselves better than they really are.

So what makes a good one?

Lord only knows,

Personally I try and create a stress free enviroment which the person isn't on the defensive if they make a mistake.

I also have in mind that everyone learns better differently. So its really my job to change my teaching style to get the best out of them.

Don't rush.

Don't allow yourself to show that your annoyed even when you are fuming.

Make it fun.

But to be honest its mainly a personality trait. You either have a gut feel for it and do it naturally or you don't.

And know that sometimes what ever you do you just won't click with some people. 2,3,5 It really doesn't matter so much but with 1 and 4 you need to step back and give them to someone else. If it then turns out that they have issues as well its time for everyone from the training Deptment to sit down have chat about the direction things are going and to make a plan.

The first time someone is inline to get chopped it is hurrendous especially if its one fo these zero to hero's and you know they have 100k plus loans outstanding and by chopping them you have basically finished thier career. It doesn't seem to bother some trainers but it doesn't sit well with me mainly I think because I see it as my failure as an instructor/trainer. But I can understand limited resources etc etc.

Rcaf914
29th Jan 2013, 15:03
Here are a couple of links to what is required for check ride debriefing here in the great white north. Can easily be adapted for training.

Appendix H - ACP Debriefing Guide - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp6533-appendices-appendixh-1006.htm)
Appendix I - C-A-L Debriefing Guideline - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp6533-appendices-appendixi-1007.htm)
Appendix J - Using the ACP Manual Elements - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/publications/tp6533-appendices-appendixj-5008.htm)

Everything points back to line (operational) flying and CRM.

fireflybob
29th Jan 2013, 17:29
The reason why RAF QFIs don't ask the student how he thought it went was that they could have a very different idea of how their trip went. Of course, hearing about it it the debrief wouldn't help the score, but at least they don't get to feel awkward when they get to hear their theory debunked.

Dan Winterland, as far as ab initio and some "advanced" training is concerned I agree with you. My initial response was slanted more towards conversion/refresher training in the simulator or line training with professionally rated pilots. I am not suggested that "trainees" should give their own debrief, far from it, but if, for example, they think they did a good trip but one is aware that it wasn't then perhaps there are other issues going on in the background.

That's fine, I've been round the block just a bit - I know that doesn't count for much these days but despite what the HF people think I'm entitled, personally to the opinion that I, personally, still don't like the "how did you think it went" line, be it training, or a check, and I also know a lot of others who when asked don't like that approach either .....so maybe a one size fits all debrief doesn't work ... we're all individuals - right?

wiggy, of course you are entitled to your opinion and I respect you for that and there isn't necessarily a size that fits all but I did feel that my initial post was "jumped on" - where's the sandwich LOL?

FWIW I'm so ancient and been "here" so long I've discovered a fair number of pruners were on the end of one of my debriefs in their/my previous life (and, BTW that's scary) - best you ask them their opinion.

My words were said in jest but I apologise if they came across an other way - am sure you are a maestro at conducting same!

Pull what
30th Jan 2013, 14:46
Fireflybob
"Well Bloggs, how did you feel about that - any points you'd want to mention?"

Beagle Nope, that's a total cop-out...:=

Firefly Bob is correct in many ways. Noticeable Beagle hasn't followed up his statement!

I seem to remember that change coming into our airline debriefing around mid 90s and as far as I am aware is standard practice these days in most UK airlines.

The idea is that you are attempting to get the student/candidate to identify his own mistakes and weak points. Not only is this a valuable teaching aid it allows the examiner or instructor to see how the student/candidate is evaluating himself. A pilot who cannot see or admit the mistakes he is making is a potential danger in any cockpit or flight deck. Self-efficacy is also the basis for threat and error management and should always be encouraged.

Where there is any possible misunderstanding of what has happened during the detail, this misunderstanding is better proven to the examiner/instructor by the student/candidate describing it without initial prompting by the examiner/instructor.

In addition, allowing the student/candidate to lead the pre flight de brief is less stressful and more friendlier than just launching into the old style lecture by the examiner/instructor which can create an atmosphere were the student/candidate may not want to participate, especially if the detail has not gone very well. Every instructor & pilot would do well to remember that its always better to recognise your own mistakes rather than have someone else tell you about them!

The final point, which to me is the most useful, is that the old Tiger Moth instructors lecture style debrief always took much longer because a lot of students and especially test candidates want to continually argue each point in fact I can remember saying to many, "can we just be clear here who is the examiner and who is the candidate"! Denial is less of a problem with the method FF Bob and myself advocate!

I should add that's its important for students/candidates to be aware that you are using this style of debrief beforehand. I can remember one rather awkward pilot saying." You get paid to tell me how I've done not the other way around!

BEagle
30th Jan 2013, 19:34
Firefly Bob is correct in many ways. Noticeable BEagle hasn't followed up his statement!

I didn't bother, because others provided the answer.

This huggy-fluffy "Well, how was it for you, darling?" bolleaux has no place in aviation. A quick chronological resumé on the salient points, observations on poor compliance to rules and regulations delivered in a constructive manner should suffice. The vast majority of my debriefs were conducted following what the civil world calls 'line checks' on qualified pilots, or on pilots undergoing type / role conversion.

Anyway, the pilot being checked should always be offered the opportunity to ask questions / put his/her point of view forward at the end of the formal debrief.

It was always my aim to get the debrief over as soon as possible after landing. If on an overseas trip, it'd be "OK, drop your bag, my room in 10 min for a quick debrief, then the night is all yours". Regrettably another instructor* in the fleet would take over a corner of an hotel bar and let the debrief drag on for ages. If we spotted him doing this, we'd keep sending the bar staff / sundry bar flies over to interrupt....:E

*He of the horrible training shoes!

Pull what
31st Jan 2013, 11:14
Thanks Beagle for reminding its time I visited RAF Hendon again.

BEagle
31st Jan 2013, 11:22
Thanks Beagle for reminding its time I visited RAF Hendon again.

Please do - there's probably a discount for under-16s.

Pull what
31st Jan 2013, 11:44
Please do - there's probably a discount for under-16s.

Oh dear incorrect facts again Beagle, you are having a bad day. Both RAF Cosford & Hendon have no admission charges. Even better, you will be able to use your free bus pass to get there.

BEagle
31st Jan 2013, 13:57
Which is why I wrote 'probably'....:rolleyes:

But since when did yoof bother to read things carefully?

Pull what
31st Jan 2013, 19:14
The following is from a NASA manual based on the authors study of LOFT at several US airlines

The rationale for crew centred debriefing is that adults learn and remember more when they participate actively and make their own analysis rather than listening to someone else's.

As the instructor you are expected to encourage the crew members to analyse their LOS performance on their own, rather than lecturing them what they did right & wrong.

The crew centred approach emphasises self discovery and self critique. The crew centred approach also draws upon the crews professional experience and motivation to perform well and enhance learning,

From On Tracks FIC Manual written by ex RAF pilot instructors, Alan Newton & John Halstead

DEBRIEFING

Use the developmental technique so that the student tries to analyse his own errors and determines how to put them right.

I can appreciate that things were different in ‘Lancaster Days’ but things have moved on, sadly some older instructors haven't.

BEagle
31st Jan 2013, 19:38
Al, John and I are contemporaries. All they're saying is 'ensure that the student leans from error and learns how to correct it in future'.

Short, sharp (doesn't mean harsh) and to the point without droning on for hours. That's what debriefs should be. None of this psychobabble "How do you think it went" crap - which just wastes everyones' time.

Enjoy your group hugs....:yuk:

Legalapproach
31st Jan 2013, 22:56
A good debrief is one you can walk away from :}

Pull what
2nd Feb 2013, 13:55
Standard CAA instrument examiners procedure was-'Always ensure there is a desk between you and the candidate before telling him he has failed'.