PDA

View Full Version : air to air pictures

formationfoto
13th Apr 2002, 16:02
Anyone in the south east and interested in air to air shots of their favourite mount?.

We have been asked to build up a library of ground and air to air shots of various types for a magazine and are busy pointing lenses at anything which happens to pass by Norfolk (OK most things tend not to pass by but arrive then depart this fair county but you get the picture).

After the sortie we can get you a CD with high res digital pics to take away and print out at Jessops or use as computer desktop.

Further details and arrangements can be got from [email protected] or calling Seething airfield +44 1508 550453 any Sunday and asking for Ian Davies, Brian Barr, Mike Page, or Paul Holmes.

BRL
13th Apr 2002, 17:40
Is this service free.?

formationfoto
13th Apr 2002, 17:47
All non commercial so as free as it gets!. If discs have to be created and sent on etc. then postage applies and if we have to get to somewhere other than our home base there would be a conversation about fuel costs but we prefer people to come see us.

Seething is a friendly airfield and always happy to see visitors anyway.

Just land, agree the sortie, fly the sortie (with our own formation pilot if required), land, wait for pics to be downloaded and away you go.

Our preference is for unusual types, formations etc. But happy to shoot anything.

Aussie Andy
13th Apr 2002, 20:14
Sounds great - how long will you be doing this for? I'd love to get photos of me and my mate 1013.25 in our favourite mount G-ODAK - a PA28-236 Piper Dakota - and we have been thinking of a trip to Norfolk... only thing is it'll have to wait until after our trip to Barcelona in early May, so maybe late May or early July?

formationfoto
14th Apr 2002, 07:33
AA We have been doing this on and off for about a couple of years but have ramped up the exercise recently on request from 'a leading aviation magazine'.

I suspect we will keep doing it until we get bored / lose medicals / etc. so feel free to make arrangements after your Barcelona trip.

Don't have any Piper Dak pics so far so this fits well.

stiknruda
14th Apr 2002, 10:39
Just to say that I am the possessor of some fine shots of my aeroplane taken by Mike/Ian at Seething.

A great opportunity, well briefed and unlike most aviation activities pretty inexpensive, just Avgas and a few quiid at Jessops to have them enlarged!

Please can I go again?

Ian - mentioned this to a chap who owns a pretty little RV6 and we will be in telephone contact with you shortly - he was amazed at the quality of my shots.

Stik

formationfoto
14th Apr 2002, 17:09
Al
Any time!
We still need some good inverted shots.
Also could do with another Pitts to sit alongside.
Now about an S2 to shoot from, an S2 to lead and 2x S1 wingmen. Any offers?.
Got some great Chipmunk 3 ship stuff couple of weekends ago.
If you are up for more shots then we should aim for a good sunset or 'last hour' shots. This time of year the Purple will really stand out against the rape fields.

LowNSlow
16th Apr 2002, 13:47
Do you need any Auster Autocrat pictures? I visit Swanton Morley quite often so a flip over to Seething would be a pleasure.

If you're missing a Jackaroo from your collection I know where one (in perfect condition) lives along with 3 Tigers, an Aeronca and the Auster of course. There's also an immaculate RV-6A, a Reims Rocket and a Cessna 180 there.

DamienB
17th Apr 2002, 13:03
Never mind wanting Autocrats, want any more photographers? :D

paulo
18th Apr 2002, 09:11
If anyone fancies being the lead S2 in the Pitts scenario, I'll cost share for the front seat.

formationfoto
20th Apr 2002, 07:29
Lownslow
Auster Autocrat would be great, so would the others you mention. Got quite a lot of Tiger Moth stuff ( I fly GANJA from Seething) but always looking for more and a Tiger formation would be good.

Wouldn't turn anything down but have a preference for classic and / or slightly unusual.

Would love to see you at Seething. Feel free to call - there most sundays 01508 550453.
Ian Davies

Capt BK
22nd Apr 2002, 14:23
ff,

Sorry to crash your post! Im a PPL holder that likes to dabble in a bit of amateur photography and wouldn't mind doing a bit of air to air myself with a few of my club members. I wonder if you (or anyone) could give me a few tips?? Camera settings? SLR/Digital? Etc?

Dont worry, im not out to steal your limelight - just something i would like to have a go at.

Thanks for your help.

CBK

formationfoto
22nd Apr 2002, 20:46
Capt BK
Wouldn't claim to be expert but as with any photography lighting, framing, and technical expertise all add up to a good photograph. You will find that shutter speeds of around 250th or less are required to prevent the prop 'stopping'. At this speed handholding a long lens is not easy so best to go for as short a lens as you can (this also helps getting focus right). Of course this means the subject aircraft getting quite close so NEEDS a pilot used to formation work. Don't be tempted to get anyone flying close if they haven't done this before - there lies danger!. I practice formation flying every weekend and after 1800 hours flying feel that I am quite safe in a variety of aircraft but the safety factor is mostly knowing when to get out of the way.

We use high qual Nikon Digital (D1X) this means we can take plenty of pictures in a session and throw away the ones which don't make it.

UV filter will help as will polarising filter to deepen the sky.

The best shots are with the sun on the aircraft you are shooting but you can get quite a good effect with the sun behind. We find shoorting in a gentle turn gives a range of lighting conditions.

A typical session will involve aircraft left and right, low and high, forward and back, turns and level.

Background is important. We are not well blessed for variety in Norfolk but aim to do fields, built up areas, and water. Not all shots have to be extreme close up. A wide shot of a low aircraft over a photogenic background can be highly effective. Try and keep as much 'contrast' as possible between aircraft and background (unless you are trying to demonstrate the effectiveness of a camouflaged machine).

Best time of day is early morning or late evening when the quality of the light flatters.

Very general comment I am afraid but I hope it helps.

BRL
22nd Apr 2002, 22:14
formationfoto . I read your last post with interest being an amateur photographer myself (Cannon EOS10Pro). Do you have a web-site with your pictures on it as i would like to see what teqniques you use etc. This is purely from an am photographer point of view. :)

Hairyplane
23rd Apr 2002, 08:25
I have 3 Miles aircraft, a Messenger, Falcon and Magister at Old Warden. A 3-ship would be nice, plus maybe a few more - Gemini, Mercury etc. - all friends - I suspect these would be of interest to a magazine too?

[email protected]

skydriller
23rd Apr 2002, 08:51
Formationfoto,

Thanks for the tips, like big Red, I am also quite keen on photography and am interested in what you have to say about air to air photography techniques.

Regards, SD.

LowNSlow
23rd Apr 2002, 15:00
formationfoto , once I get my annual signed off (hopefully tomorrow, I'll give you a call.

Hairyplane , the Messenger wouldn't be the one Terry built the wing and fuselage for? Cream with green lettering?

Capt BK
24th Apr 2002, 09:45
Formationfoto,

Thanks for the tips, very helpful!

Hope your shooting goes well.

CBK

Flyboy-F33
25th Apr 2002, 12:58
I wouldnt mind some air to air shots of my F33A. Planning a trip to Little Snoring very soon. Is this of interest?

formationfoto
26th Apr 2002, 09:06
Of course interested.

Miles formation and F33A solo both worth getting.

Contact details elsewhere in this post but to save looking
Ian Davies
07802 611647 (m)
01603 772811 (w)
01508 534900 (h)
01508 550453 (seething sunday).

BRL
26th Apr 2002, 09:50
Ok, thats your advertising out of the way.... ;)

Anychance of having a look at some photos and you teling us a bit more about your techniques in this interesting subject?. :)

formationfoto
27th Apr 2002, 20:37
Isn't it only really advertising when there is commercial intent and the person being 'advertised' to has to hand over a fee or charge of some sort? :)

As mentioned elsewhere there is no charge for this. All that we ask is that you participate on a basis we agree and most of the requirements here are for self preservation (our photogarpher has been on the receiving end of too many 'so called' formation pilots who have been unable to hold station within a margin of error of +/- 50ft. Quite concering when you are looking for a formation of about five foot away for some of the shots.

The pictures will start to emerge in the new 'Pilot' web site (www.pilotweb.co.uk) which is currently under rebuild. They will also appear as illustrative pictures, when appropriate, in Pilot magazine. But to repeat no money changes hands in any direction for this activity which is essentially a hobby for those involved.

Some notes on technique elsewhere in this series of posts. Also a photographic competition running in Pilot magazine this month which once judged will include tips and comment from pro photographers. Also a sister title of Pilot, Photography Monthly recently had a feature on aviation photography.

We are not experts - just capable photographers who are also capable pilots and we know how to get camera and subject aircraft in the right bit of airspace and the right lighting conditions to get a decent photograph (sometimes an excellent one but this requires good background, appropriate weather, and good lighting and in this country without a lot of planning and luck this is difficul to arrange (very few people are prepared to wait for most of the day for the weather and light to be 'just right' unless it is a publicity shot.

If you want to see some of the shots why not visit Seething in Norfolk and look at our gallery and the electronic library. The web site, with photo gallery should be available around late June.

formationfoto
27th Apr 2002, 20:46
Big Red 'L'
Just noticed your moderator status - a few things:
Firstly we are trying to offer something of value to members of this list at a cost to ourselves (albeit a value to the Pilot website - but we don't charge them for the pictures). I hope the point about advertising wasn't meant as a criticism - just keen to get some of the people who have expressed an interest to come and try it and they can comment on whether they think it was worth the trip to Seething.
Secondly I would be happy to make some of the photo resource available to this site as well as to Pilotweb. I note there is a gallery of photos (but it is a small selection). Could this be extended?. We could post some of the better shots and those who have pictures of their aircraft taken could also have them posted.
For those of a photographic bent we could put some technical stuff up against each of the pics.
Hope this helps.

BRL
27th Apr 2002, 22:06
Formationfoto..... I am only kidding about the advertising thing...honest.. Hence the wink-icon-thingy.!!!!!!! :)
I love photography and have always wondered about air-to-air shooting. Was looking for some tips really, stuff like that as i wouldn't mind having a go at it if only to just expand my portfolio.

As for the photo section of this site, i think its just a bit set aside for Dannys photos as he likes to take pictures of other planes and things. I think you should e-mail him direct about it as its not really for me to say if you can put some up in there. Hope to see some of your stuff soon.
Paul. :)

formationfoto
16th May 2002, 20:44
To those questioning where to see the sort of pics we can offer for free take a look at pages 30 and 31 of this months (June) Pilot. The Chipmunk shots are not too strong but the Supercub and particularly the C177 shot are typical.
I'm flying both with my colleagues shooting from a C152. Don't ask why I'm flying close formation in a 177 and looking the other way (temporary I assure you). Will also have the pics library at the Pilot food tent at North Weald over the weekend - ask for Ian.

BRL
16th May 2002, 22:40
Formationfoto Any chance of you coming along to the Popham fly-in?.(with the pictures library.) You might get some more interest from people there and of course i would love a chat with you about techniques etc...... :)

LowNSlow
17th May 2002, 06:02
Ian, couldn't make it last trip home. Unfortunately I won't be at Popham on 1st june either. Never mind, I'm back on 12th June and will do my best to get to Seething then.

formationfoto
20th May 2002, 19:56
Big Red

Got some good stuff at North Weald over the weekend but too busy for air to air - should be pix in the next issue of Pilot.

We were talking of Popham over the weekend and sounds well worth a visit. Like to get air to air as well as ground shots so is a busy fly in a good time or might it be better to arrange on a slightly quieter day?.

The chief snapper and photoship owner has damaged his foot so not happy to go on long trips at present. The Chipmunk and Jodel are not great as a photo ships nor for carrying lots of kit.

One way or the other we would love to get to Popham - and of course happy to bring the library disk.

Why don't you suggest the best time and we'll keep fingers crossed on weather.

Might be worth us doing an overnight if the weather is good so that we can get some air to air as the sun starts to set - makes for great pix.

Feel free to contact via [email protected] or mobile 07802 611647 and I will check availability of a 152 or 172.

The other possibility is borrowing something (with a Pilot) from Popham to act as camera ship - ideally high wing with an opening window or VERY good scratch free windows. This would give us greater flexibility for getting to Popham.

King Bladud
13th Jun 2002, 17:49
:) I spent a few very pleasant hours at Seething during last weekend for some air to air photography, and came away clutching a CD with numerous images of the event.

Ian, Mike and Brian are a very slick act and the airborne time to obtain dozens of high quality shots was a mere 35 minutes: we even found some sun to put sparkle into the pics.

If you want photographs of your favourite aircraft and are uncertain of your formation skills, call Ian, get across to Seething and let this professional -but unassuming team provide you with the sort of expertise that otherwise would cost a substantial sum.

Fine airfield, nice people, good tea -the catch? There ain't one, certainly no charges.