PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Airport One-Up Minima (EU-OPS)

EightsOnPylons
16th Nov 2012, 18:48
Question (EU-OPS):
So I am looking at selecting an ALTERNATE AIRPORT. The alternate airport has an ILS with minimum required RVR 550m and a minima 200 AGL.

The required Wx for the alternate will be according to (One-up) i.e. next Non-precision approach, and the visibility for the Localizer approach is RVR 1200m and the minimum is 500 AGL (above ground level).

Does the ceiling have to be above 500 AGL for the localizer approach even if the Met Vis is forecasted 4000mon the TAF?

Thx

dawsonj1
16th Nov 2012, 19:13
Hi there,

Does the ceiling have to be above 500 AGL for the localizer approacheven if the Met Vis is forecasted 4000mon the TAF?

Doesn't have to be, but then you need to have two valid alternates that are acceptable in all respects (wind/vis/ceiling). Otherwise at the planning stage you would need to have a cloudbase of 500AAL if you only intended on holding fuel for one valid alternate.

Jim.

EightsOnPylons
16th Nov 2012, 19:16
Thanks, for reply.

If the required ceiling is 500 AGL, can the Wx be OVC500, or does it have to be ABOVE 500 AGL?

dawsonj1
16th Nov 2012, 19:34
I think you may need slightly higher actually, i.e. cloudbase of BKN or OVC of 600ft due to the fact that we now need to fly non precision approaches using CDFA technique in which we add a suitable increment to MDA to make it a DA. However, I woud need to double check that and your company ops manual may give a specific answer for your particular operation.

EightsOnPylons
16th Nov 2012, 19:36
It makes sense to me. Thanks for reply.

towser
17th Nov 2012, 13:24
I always thought that for planning purposes you had to take the cloud base into account so in this case it needs to be above 500' but once airborne you don't.

Piltdown Man
17th Nov 2012, 18:03
A reported cloudbase of 500' in the UK means that for 90% of the time, the actual cloudbase should be between 450' and 550'. An actual cloudbase of 450' will also have to be reported at 500' as cloudbases are only reported in 100 foot increments. So, it's quite reasonable to depart with a reported base of 500', if that's what you need. As for the reality of executing the approach, well that's not reported when make an approach. Therefore, if the viz is equal to or greater than your minimum, you have to perform a "look see" and go around if you are unable to obtain sufficient visual references to safely continue. Whether or not that is sensible is a different question.

PM

B737900er
22nd Nov 2012, 18:28
I was told that for a non precision approach the ceiling has to be considered, but for a precision approach only visibility is the determining factor.

de facto
24th Nov 2012, 10:21
we now need to fly non precision approaches using CDFA technique in which we add a suitable increment to MDA to make it a DA

I thought it was the exact opposit,if you fly a CDA you do NOT need to add vis,if you use the old dive level method a higher minima must be used.

No?

Denti
24th Nov 2012, 10:43
If an EU OPS minima is on your plate for a non precision approach, it is already a DA so you do not add anything to it. If however it is mentioned as MDA only depending on your company rules you might have to add anything.