PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter pilot jailed

IRVR
12th Apr 2002, 16:24
Saw this on BBC, just wonder how he got his hands on the helicopter in the first place

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/england/newsid_1926000/1926594.stm

must have been quite scary for the people in tower especially when you consider the date it took place.

Check 6
12th Apr 2002, 16:32
You do the crime, you must do the time

:D :D

Hand Solo
12th Apr 2002, 16:52
Obviously Maverick didn't get permission to buzz the tower!:D

Jhieminga
13th Apr 2002, 01:43
Hmm, how would he have scored on the Pre-flight I'M SAFE checklist. For the un-initiated:
Illnes
Medication (or perhaps Medical in this case)
Stress
Alcohol
Fatigue
Emotional

My opinion: just plain stupid, deserves what he got!

Aussie Andy
14th Apr 2002, 18:06
Hi,

You guys might find this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50040) interesting on the Private Flying forum.

Standard Noise
16th Apr 2002, 00:07
Knowing one of the ATCO's involved, I can say this, he's usually a cool customer, so this must have been really bad if he needed counselling. The other ATCO has decided to pack it all in for a quiet life - suppose you can't blame him really.

IRVR - from what I understand, the guy owns the helo, but that's second hand info.
I'm also led to believe that the airport has it all on video from the security cameras at the airport. I wonder if it will be released now that the w@nker's staying at Her Majesty's?

What suprised me was the reporter on the Miclands evening news stated that the CAA had only suspended his licence...........if this is true, what will it take to have a PPL permanently revoked???:confused:

Magistrates take note, 3 years wasn't enough!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Bern Oulli
16th Apr 2002, 06:21
Standard Noise
Just for info, while agreeing that 3 years is not enough, especially as he will be out in 18 months, I must say that it is no good having a go at Magistrates. They could only have given him a maximum of 6 months so I think you should raise your sights and take aim at a Crown Court Judge.

Total sympathy with those on the receiving end of this guy's actions and trust that they all get over it in the fullness of time.

Standard Noise
16th Apr 2002, 20:59
ooops! I'm not an expert in the English legal system. I am happy to stand corrected although I only used the word "magistrates" as it was the first term I'd thought of.

However, it still begs the question - why only 3 years??