PDA

View Full Version : Help needed from an experienced pilot...

Jscot89
30th Oct 2012, 23:49
Hey guys,

I am currently studying towards a PPL and would really appreciate advice from any experienced flyers out there. With regard to the minimum height rule (flying IFR) I understand that an aircraft must fly at least 1000ft above the highest fixed obstacle within 5nm. However, there are, of course, exceptions. One of which is: on a route notified for this rule. Can anyone explain what this means exactly? :ugh:

Gertrude the Wombat
31st Oct 2012, 09:59
What it says. Somewhere in the AIP it'll say "this route is notified for the purpose of rule xxx".

flyme273
31st Oct 2012, 13:03
er . . . if you are studying towards a PPL, seems to me flying IFR and the rules thereof are not your first priority.

Start with VFR rules. minimum height is 500ft rule, over towns 1,000ft. Then the weather rules (visibility and distance clear of cloud) for the respective class of airspace.

hope this helps, :rolleyes: flyme.

wb9999
31st Oct 2012, 14:28
IFR basics (including the minimum height rule) are covered in the UK PPL air law syllabus, so trainee PPLs need to know and understand the sort of question asked in the OP. So it's a little unwise telling the OP that it's not a priority.

dont overfil
31st Oct 2012, 15:16
I wonder if the IFR questions will be dropped from the PPL exams now that a new PPL cannot fly IFR without further ratings.

D.O.

bookworm
31st Oct 2012, 16:56
What it says. Somewhere in the AIP it'll say "this route is notified for the purpose of rule xxx".

I've never found a route notified for the purposes of Rule 33, have you?

Jscot89
31st Oct 2012, 23:36
Thanks guys, much appreciated :)

tmmorris
1st Nov 2012, 10:37
If they notify a route under rule 33, then someone has an engine failure and ploughs into houses, who will get the blame?

I wonder if that's why there don't seem to be any...

Tim