PDA

View Full Version : COPA Airlines interviews

Pages : [1] 2 3

canaryislander
4th Aug 2012, 19:07
Hi, I have emailed CV and all relevent documents to Copa Airlines some 3 weeks ago and attempted to fill in the online form which does not seem to work.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get a reply from them. Do they email back or phone or is it etter to telephone them directly

ElJeke
5th Aug 2012, 13:52
IT depends. IF you dont speak any english, and have 100 hours total time they will answer you right the way. However if you have 5 type ratings, 10000 TT, they will not get back to you.

Sorry for being sarcastic, I E-mail them 50 times, called them 3 times per month for a year.... etc.

Are you applying for FO or Capt?

Jeke

ElJeke
5th Aug 2012, 18:48
Canary PM me I have some Emails that you might want to have.

Jeke

Bukkake
6th Aug 2012, 00:36
Forget the online stuff with Copa. You need to have someone walk your stuff in or get in contact with a pilot recruiter.

Google "Barbara Freeman Copa"

Good Luck, and may God have mercy on your souls.

canaryislander
6th Aug 2012, 09:00
F/O, thanks to bankrupcies and wars I never got my command

Snowcat
9th Aug 2012, 12:38
Please guys, dont waste your time and money with COPA, they are turning down NG Captains, 767 Captains native Spanish speaking from South America with a lot of experience.

You will have to go trough the Lie Detector also, I think that it so wrong for a company to do that and even think it is so ilegal as a screening technique.

Lets stop these people !!!

flyingsaucer
11th Aug 2012, 01:06
The lie detector is a requirement from the USA to allow COPA pilots that are not american citizens to fly into the USA.
So if you are an american citizen you do not have to take it.

Boeing Europe
15th Aug 2012, 08:31
I am a 737 FO 1300 TT 1k on type do you reckon I have any hope of getting in I have heard of zero europeans getting interviews...?

Boeing Europe
15th Aug 2012, 08:32
Oh and whats the deal with the lie detector...?

peteroja
15th Aug 2012, 15:12
I worked for COPA from October of 2011 to June of 2012. I had enough of their operation, it was a big mistake to go there. It is my opinion that COPA is a very unsafe operation.

The Panamanian’s will treat you ok while you are within an earshot, but they hate gringos and will do everything in their power to screw you over. Their standards are very low. The Panamanian Pilot totally lack basic aviation knowledge such performance calculation, fuel planning, weather planning, the importance of knowing their own Manuals and Ops Specs. During my time at Copa I saw Panamanian Captain's disregard airspace limitation, controller instruction, fuel andperformance limitation. COPA is an accident waiting to happen.

The training is substandard and cheating on tests is openly encouraged. One of the requirements is a written demonstration that you read, understandand speak Spanish, you will take a regulations test in Spanish, COPA will send a translator with you during the test and she will actually do the test for you.

During the training you will be required to take a Medical and Psychological tests. You are required to pay for each test yourself, COPA will reimburse a small portion. You are required to pay for your own uniform, including epaulets and wings, this will cost you around $450.

During IOE/OEwhich is min 100 hours you will have 3 line checks, you must pass every one or face termination. I heard of pilots that failed their IOE for not turning on the lights at 18000 ft. MSL exactly, according to their statements they were off with 200 ft.

The Panamanian’s are in general very rude and lack common courteousy. This is just how they are; very disrespectful to others, you will notice this the first time you take a taxi in Panama. This is strictly due to their poor education, they just don’t know better and lack common sense, their flying abilities are a direct reflection of their behavior.

There has been several close calls, however COPA has been very lucky so far, a Spanish First Officer and a Panamanian Captain got into a physical altercation on final approach at the time the airport closed down, the Captain wanted to landregardless, the airspeed was bleeding down to 93 kts, before the First Officer took over the controls and saved the situation. This was swept under the carpet by the Dir Ops and Chief Pilot. This is just part of their daily occurrences.

Boeing Europe
15th Aug 2012, 18:35
How did you get in ha??? I need the hours man i would put up with that for a year or so pathetic I know but I am desperate

ElJeke
15th Aug 2012, 18:44
Boeing are you actually working for somebody? hows your spanish? Capt FO?

peteroja
15th Aug 2012, 20:45
For F/O's it will take you a year to finish training, sometimes longer, and you will only fly 50 to 70 hrs per month...

babisiliop
20th Aug 2012, 12:40
Hello Peter

Since you left the company,do you have any info from inside what is the situation relating to captain's,I mean, are there any others leaving the company or Copa still recruiting more or atleast looking for?

peteroja
20th Aug 2012, 15:52
COPA are recruiting, there are some Comair guys that just got hired. You need inside recomendations now.

Kapitanleutnant
26th Aug 2012, 13:15
FYI....

Barbara Freeman no longer involved with COPA pilot hiring. From her email yesterday.

canaryislander
27th Aug 2012, 09:55
:ugh:Disaster strikes again ! I have emailed job applications to Copa airlines twice, to two different email addresses.

I have telephoned the HR office at COPA Airlines 3 times before finally speaking to someone and have been told that they dont accept job applications for First Officers by email.

Finally got the online application form to work after 5 attempts failed.

Have been informed by a friend that responses take betwwen 3 weeks and 4 months.

In order to try to speed things up I was just 10 seconds away from phoning Barbara Freeman to try to establish who to contact or how to get noticed by recruiters, now she no longer works there.

does anyone know a contact who can help ????:ugh:

Snowcat
28th Aug 2012, 16:24
Flyingsaucer,
First time I hear that non-US Citizens need to pass a Lie Detector test to fly to US.
Do you know if it is just for COPA? because I know for sure at least 3 major Airlines in South America are not required.

It is also obvious to me that the dont hire experienced NG Captains because they wont stick around even if they speak native Spanish. They prefer to go with Comair RJ Captains.
My question is why they even bother calling NG Captains for interviews.

It is also obvious to me they dont care about having a high Pilot turn and overspending on training.
:D

PILOTHEAD
30th Aug 2012, 21:09
Bwahahahahaha. Why would you give a baby hot sauce when he isnt a mexican? And petoria, you are 100 percent right! I didnt agree with how you tried to **** over your instructor who is probably the best thing COPA has, and from what i heard did everything he could just to get you through the sim when you were losing 3 to 500 feet in steep turns from two witnesses. Absolutely not cool and god bless that man for he is an angel. but you just cant **** on a clean floor when you have a whole functional toilet next to you. leave that to the putas in habanos. but you are frekkin absolutely correct about everything else... applaud. hey, perhaps this is new aviation or its latin american culture. i dont know which but perhaps its about time for a career change? if this is what my beautiful career is turning into, i will gladly go home and fly for fun. and those applying, if you dont hear anything just give it up. i recommended two people with more qualification than me, and very capable pilots who never got an interview. walked that **** in myself and handed letters in. there is no rhyme or reason here, everything is just completely random like it is in most airlines. if you dont hear anything from copa, than give up, go home, and look for another job. best advice i can give you. lots of companies hiring its not the end of the world.

liftmaster
1st Sep 2012, 05:44
I can only speak as to my personal experience. I sent my stuff for direct entry captain via the internet. They emailed me about 6 weeks later. I don't speak spanish and have no inside recommendations. Was successful on the interview and start class in a couple weeks. If you are a US citizen, you do not have to take the polygraph. They can obtain what they are looking for from the FBI background check. Good luck.

Snowcat
3rd Sep 2012, 10:06
Liftmaster,
Good luck to you.
In what type is your Captain experience on?

liftmaster
6th Sep 2012, 01:40
All of my PIC time is in the CRJ200.

7Q Off
7th Sep 2012, 19:20
Is the new salary in place? :ooh:

Or just 4000 us for a cpt?

I am thinking in applying as i am a 737ng cpt. I know copa has lots of issues but my country and company has more problems than copa and panama.

ElJeke
7th Sep 2012, 21:19
I can help you with the contacts inside the company. I have emails and numbers for recruitment of captains. Unfortunately for me they are not hiring FO's:(

babisiliop
8th Sep 2012, 09:13
ElJeke

Could you PM any contact inside the company?
Any help most appreciated.
Thanks

canaryislander
8th Sep 2012, 10:38
I have heard that they will be recruiting F/Os in October once they have finished with the current intake of captains.

Snowcat
8th Sep 2012, 11:19
7Q OFF,

If you are an NG Captain, they wont take you, you'll waiste your time, they just take RJ Captains because they know they wont leave until they get 500 hrs NG PIC.

I dont know what is the logic on that, may be it is a way for them to be able to pay what they pay.

Because it is so bad out there, COPA is enjoying a good resume pile of experienced guys.

Non rev
11th Sep 2012, 00:43
I just received email from copa that they will be starting application process for FO's and they want me to send them my updated documents. I applied a year ago and had totally forgotten about it. Anyone else received this email?

canaryislander
11th Sep 2012, 08:52
I haven't heard anything yet.

How did you get your application to them, online application or by emailing them ?

Non rev
11th Sep 2012, 16:23
I applied a year ago. I sent the resume directly to the HR recruiter. I also did go online and fill out the application. You have to be patient. Also, the package they sent me shows that we need to pay $2500 for some sort of conversion. Is that correct?

ElJeke
11th Sep 2012, 16:25
I spoke with them yesterday. They are calling people that applied in 2010.... so I guess we just need to e patient...

SonnyCrockett
12th Sep 2012, 02:13
Peter---you were pretty upbeat on COPA a few months ago....

Here is what you posted :
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that is really a dumb comment,

I fly the line here as B 737 Capt, I enjoy the people, F/A's are great,a very smoothly run airline, no MELs everything is fixed at once, clean airplanes. As soon as you pull into the gate you have a cleaning team meeting you, it is great. dispatch is good, if I want more fuel they give me more, however I dont have to ask, they tend to put on to much.

The training is not the best but once you are done, life is great, Pay is what it is, I am not happy with it, but I dont want to go to India or Dubai either. so it is what it is, if ther is a not a substantial pay increase people will be looking elsewere. Emloyees in general seems to be happy with good attitude. Management seems to make this work, loads are good.

The check is in the mail........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am glad I bailed when I did---got a FREE type rating and lived in PTY and had some fun. I recommend that anyone interested and with no other place to go---get your 500-1000 hours and bail!

josssse1234
12th Sep 2012, 03:48
Do you know how long should i wait after leaving CM to go back?

canaryislander
12th Sep 2012, 09:16
Is there any way to get inside help to get in as an F/O, like many people I guess its got to the point where I just want a job flying anything anywhere.I am 57 years old and for that china is out, middle east wont take you unless you have 500 hours recent on EFIS.

I have 2,500 hours on 737-200 & 300 and have just completed a renewal 6 months ago with NG differences.

personally I rather like the idea of living in Panama, and having lived in Spain for 35 years I am rather fluent.

any ideas !!

7Q Off
12th Sep 2012, 14:27
Snowcat: thanks for the advice but i have been called to interviews sereral times in the last 2 years even i am ng rated and a current captain. I recieved an email a couple of months asking me about my current situation for a new intervieu.

I just need to know if the new salary is in place and how much money is in hand after tax with this new arrangement.

Tks in advice

peteroja
12th Sep 2012, 17:42
Hey Sonny, Some of it I still stand by. However when they started to fabricate dispatch releases this change, you can only comment on what you experience to that point of time, what happens later is a another story. I got my 550 hrs in the B737, and a free type. Habano's is the only thing worth while in Panama.

SonnyCrockett
12th Sep 2012, 20:31
Peter,

Relax take a deep sigh.....

Just pointed out the Koolaid in your earlier posts....I worked at COPA and saw the BS, so I bolted for many of the same reasons you list, one of the biggest for me was the lack of a real schedule, no jumpseat unless you jump through some pretty big hoops. Pay sucked, and that is if you got paid correctly and who can forget "Sandra" the chick was a liar and incompetent at her job, but it is Panama....that is the way they roll.

I enjoyed living in Panama but was offered a much better position $$$$$ so I bolted. I was NOT impressed with some of the other expats--we had some real losers that COPA hired--several of them lied on applications--most of them did crappy in training, did not have the flight time they said they did, I could go on and on.....everybody cheated in the tests! Pilots or Pirates???? LOL!

1. COPA will hire anyone (they hired a Connie Kalitta guy that was completely incompetent and that was DIRECT from the Kalitta trng dept.) I am sure COPA knows this and welcomes this guy because he is desperate and do anything for the company (kinda like a SCAB)

2. I know of another guy who was fired from Pinnacle and he was a compete loser--claimed he had 1000 in the 737 flying for Higher Power ferrying 737's. Yeah right whatever. This guy had a temper tantrum in the sim and was almost fired but he was a good azz kisser so they kept him.

For me it was a summer job, I enjoyed the latin girls and screwed off mostly....then it was time for a reality check and back to the real world.

Everyone needs to make their own decision....if you want to live in Panama and get a free (well almost free it will still cost you some money) 737 type go for it.....just understand as a gringo you are bottom on the list and expect nothing.

Immigrant
12th Sep 2012, 22:15
I just need to know if the new salary is in place and how much money is in hand after tax with this new arrangement

I've got 7300$ for 93 hrs with some SUN ...extra pay...THAT IT :uhoh:

7Q Off
12th Sep 2012, 23:52
Tks inmigrant. Last question. That is after o before tax. How much tax a month. Thanks amigo.

Immigrant
13th Sep 2012, 01:32
after.......and Without hosing

Immigrant
13th Sep 2012, 01:36
Before tax...9000$ :*

josssse1234
13th Sep 2012, 04:28
What happens if someone flies Just a few hors lets say 20 hours due to being sick or any reason. Is there a base pay, like what happens then. Does copa pay you an amount of hours below the extra time threshold.

SonnyCrockett
13th Sep 2012, 16:32
Don't forget that they TAX the housing! They tell you $800 a month or whatever it is....and you get about $593 or so after taxes (Panama tax)

Paid 4 times a year I believe. Trust me it cost $$$ money in PTY to have a decent apartment. $593 gets you crap.

Lionman
13th Sep 2012, 19:21
Having followed this thread, Im a bit amazed at the comments.

I know a few people in Copa and having been to selection, passed and offered a start date, now I dont know if I go.
My friends there are either just finishing ground school and 2 are now in line training and they couldnt speak highly enough of the airline.
I was impressed while in panama with the operation/hotel/assessment process and the few bars I went to!!!!!!
I have another offer but see Copa as a challenging and fun place to be. Im flying awhile and have little or no interest in aircraft types, all the same to me.
So has anyone any positive things to say?

7Q Off
13th Sep 2012, 19:47
Tks sonny for the advice. How much a decent apartment costs? Any advice on living costs there? I mean cell phone, electricity, etc.

Saludos amigo

SonnyCrockett
14th Sep 2012, 01:45
7Q....De Nada Amigo!

I got a place on Balboa Ave (nice area on the water--near the Yacht Club) It cost me $1300 a month---short walk to Hooters and some other "establishments" Prices to eat out are just like in the USA...Hooters has overpriced beer but the Colombian girls made it worth it.....Trust me on that one. <BG>

Cell phone--I unlocked my iPhone and just paid as I go....you will find out you can get a chip at any local cell phone stand and they you pay at cell ATM's around the city--it was really cheap actually. Plan on around $30-$40 a month.

Electric Bill and Cable was a PITA. You pay your bill at one of the Grocery stores (you wait in line.....with everyone else) no online bill pay or ANY MAIL service at all in Panama.....it was the most unorganized thing I have ever seen. Electric bill was $150-$200 a month it is not cheap--GO CHECK OUT THE PANAMA EXPAT forums and read some horror stories! I didn't use my A/C as I was on the Ocean and had a good sea breeze.

Cable bill was "Cablea Onda" like Direct TV....around $45 a month including wireless Internet.

Food---$$$ Grocery store Can of Coke was $1.00! Any US food was overpriced---local stuff was not too bad.

I was surprised at how much crap cost in Panama---this in in the city I know outside and around the country it was a lot cheaper---of course you need to live near MPTO (PTY Airport) so plan in $$$$.

As long as you go with YOUR EYES WIDE OPEN and know what you are getting into--with an exit plan you will be ok.

ElJeke
14th Sep 2012, 14:37
And still waiting for the Email.....

7Q Off
14th Sep 2012, 17:17
Tks sonny. My A options are dubai, qatar for 5 to 10 years, china for 2 to 4 years (as long as Me and my wife can handle china to make some cash in short term). Since we dont have childrens we can handle china easy right know with a 8 on 2 off pattern for a xouple of years.

We are considering COPA Too (my wife like panama as it is spanish speaking country like ours but we realize money is not good) so know option A is winning, cash some bucks in ME or Asia and if in some years COPA (5 to 7) still needs Cpt try to there but with cash in my pockets for lomg term. Money is not good but with cash I can work some extra money beside flying to compensate that. I am good in real estate investent.

If no Copa available see other options but with money in my pocket.

PILOTHEAD
17th Sep 2012, 23:44
I think anyone who reads the Copa forum should be smart enough to find what they are looking for. I dont understand if something is so negative, why are people trying to find a positive. I guess the latest is the housing that was supposed to be paid, well it never showed up in several of our checks. Roommate is still getting paid training pay, which doesnt include housing bonus, though he is over 700 hours on the line. So now he has to call every week and ask where is his full check while he gets the runaround. someone is always on vacation or nobody answeres the phone in the pay department, so here we go again taking a cab to headquarters. depending on when you call, during working business hours, scheduling doesnt answer the phone, so good luck calling sick if you have to. after hours, good luck. dispatch doesnt answer phones when you need sometimes either, especially on the midnight departures. would sure be nice if you didnt have to worry about your alternate closing when it is underneath the class B of the destination. especially when you see thunderstorms that may be on top of panama. second alternate is the ocean because you dont have fuel for anything else. its an amazing place. ask PETEROJA who was online for two and a half months, maybe, after ioe and got 550 hours PIC before he quit. so does this mean people are flying 200 hours a month? this place is just full of surprises. i personally came to see somethig different. i am completely indifferent about the experience because i have a business in the states. if you are looking for money, well you will fly 98hours in one month and get a check for 6100, and the next for 1500. if this is ok with 7 days off a month, than come. if not than go to the dubai or doja. its simple. check your facts before making any decision. i will neither say anything good or bad about the company. i will only tell the unbiased truth about what is going on. fly safe

babisiliop
18th Sep 2012, 08:31
Pilothead Hi

As far as I understand you are in the company and you know everything
from inside.
Could you tell me who is in charge for the rectuitments from HR and the Flight Operation Dep?
Any email or tell number to call?

Bukkake
18th Sep 2012, 20:43
Unbucking Felievable!!

That previous post didn't deter you from applying to Copa?

Ok, here you go:

Walter DeLeon:
[email protected]

or

[email protected]

or

[email protected]

Good luck!!

babisiliop
18th Sep 2012, 21:31
Thanks anyway.

PILOTHEAD
19th Sep 2012, 19:17
Bukkake has the answers for recruitment. All you can do is apply because no matter what you do they will call you if they want. If you dont apply you will never know. everyone has all the information they need about this place to get what you want out of it

josssse1234
20th Sep 2012, 16:26
hey immigrant , really like your good attitude when posting.

do i get "viaticos" while in training , thats rep expense i guess, i just received an e- mail fro hr and sent my paperwork.

is the training pay the full salary withhout housing

for FOS it says that the salary is 4500 gross, assuming 75 block hours.

many thx

babisiliop
1st Oct 2012, 20:33
Bukkake

I didn't listen you and sent an application to Copa to Walter DeLeon and I haven't received any replay since.
Is he a captain recruiter or HR's staff?
Could you give me some more info regarding him or any other HR's staff?
Thanks.

casablanca
2nd Oct 2012, 03:22
I don't work for Copa... Seems like a descent airline but pay is low.
I lived in Panama for a while and am married to a Panamanian.
I enjoyed the time there but a small house( 3 bedroom and pool) cost 1500/month and to air condition the 3 bedrooms it was 700 one month.
That is with kids so everything was on continuously but my point is it is not cheap anymore. One can live in cheaper areas but then as a gringo you definitely stand out. It is not really that safe in some parts..
If you like cigars and Chicas then Habanos is worth a shot

Bukkake
3rd Oct 2012, 04:35
Try the other 2 email addresses in my previous post.

It is possible that Walter has not even read your email. Unfortunately you'll have to be patient with these people as they are not exactly what you would call expeditious. I prefer to use the term, lazy.

In the meantime what you can do to prepare for a career as a Copa pilot is to sit in the most uncomfortable chair in your house staring at a computer screen for approximately 7.5 hours at least 23 days each month. Also, try to do this between the hours of midnight and 0800 for added realism. Make sure that you eat a very small portion of microwaved chicken or beef and a small piece of bread while sitting. When you are finished with the month, have someone hand you a few dollars and then smack the hell out of you.

Welcome to Copa!

babisiliop
3rd Oct 2012, 06:35
Bukkake

You are so realistic in your saying.But the question is why Copa is preferring to hire any captain rated to any other jet but B737NG?In their requirements asking for B737NG type rating but most of the time,I would say all the time, they hire people without the required
specific type rating.If they prefer anybody else, but B737, why they have
B737NG type rating should be a must?
As far as I know they don't even use the B737 sim for the assessment
and they don't ask any on the specific type as long as they are looking for B737 captains and they should ask relevant questions.

Rotorhead1026
4th Oct 2012, 14:10
As far as I know they don't even use the B737 sim for the assessment

Yes, they do.

babisiliop
4th Oct 2012, 14:22
What about the rating they are asking for.It is in the requirements for applying and they don't even bother whether you have it or not.
As far as I know from other candidates they prefer ratings other than B737.

PILOTHEAD
6th Oct 2012, 02:10
Dude, i almost chit a long dart flipper piece of diahrrea out my cornhole when i read your post. you forgot to mention the fact that 50 perecent of the time whe you call your cable operator, the line is either busy or nobody answers you, but when your bill is due, they call you on the spot. how about you dont the the next months cable guide till the last 3 days of the month. kinda hard to watch the big bang theory when you cant plan it, but one thing is for sure, there is always arroz con pollo or carne con arroz available. lets see who gets the belly first, the chair flyer in probably the loudest airplane i have flown, or the bedside donut pro video gamer. let the race begin, but yes CREAMPIE, notice how the questions get diverted right back to the beggining. i feel like i am listening to a brian mcnight song over and over again. it starts with 'one'

PILOTHEAD
6th Oct 2012, 02:13
before you decide to work in copa, google zoofilia free porn and tell me if you like it. if you do, you will pass the psych test to get into copa. good luck out there!

Bukkake
9th Oct 2012, 00:02
Barnyard Buddies, lol. For extra credit on the psyche eval, make sure that you throw up in to a plastic plate while watching the aforementioned zoophilia films.

Copa is full of whacked out individuals, myself excluded of course ;)

NoJoy
9th Oct 2012, 13:00
TThanks for ruining my day with that zoophilia **** Pilothead... :mad:

babisiliop
10th Oct 2012, 12:19
Any update related to captain's recruiting process?
Interviews,sim assessments,tests?

Lionman
10th Oct 2012, 15:02
The selection process I had was Compass Tests/ Psychological assessment on computer, think there was about 250 questions. Then a company interview, very straight forward and very friendly. "Tell us about yourself", "Why Copa", I answered "Why not"! No Tech questions they just want get to know abit more about you and they say alot about the company.
Then medical, bloodtests urine etc to check (I think) drugs etc , after that the Lie Detector. TBH I cudnt stop laughing during that, the tester wasnt impressed after the 3rd run! nothing to hide so I wasnt bothered.

The Sim was the following day, all friendly guys, good briefing then off for a blast. RTO first, then Engine Fire on departure from Bogota, after qrh etc reinstated, self position for s/e ils, land. Takeoff then some Vor tracking, Ils to minimas then land.

Found out I was successful 2 weeks after. Looking forward to the move soon.

PILOTHEAD
12th Oct 2012, 01:24
LOL, I am glad I made some sence out of the whole operation here. Yes, plastic plates are a must, because you dont need to clean up the mess

Seven Two Seven
3rd Nov 2012, 03:28
I can't believe that Copa is so bad.

They really use the B737 sim for the recruitment proccess?? They don't care if you have 737 type rating or not??

Pease, can anyone tell me more about the Compass Tests/ Psychological assessment??

Cheers.

PILOTHEAD
3rd Nov 2012, 20:33
if youre from brazil, stay in brazil. i am sure there are jobs there

Kapitanleutnant
8th Nov 2012, 13:06
For those still at Copa....

Can you give me an idea of what a month's roster would look like eg,
how many hours per month on average for a 737 CA?

What kind of bidding system (if any?) does Copa use?

Days off/days on per month on average.

Feel free to PM me as well.

Kapitan

CL65Driver1234
8th Nov 2012, 16:32
Any info regardingthe ATP written? Gracias

Expat737
9th Nov 2012, 14:05
I have 92 hrs this month with 9 days off. The only reason I have 9 days off this month is because there are a lot of Panamanian holidays in November that are government mandated to have off. Thus Copa gives you Comp days for those. Otherwise it is 7 days off a month.

There is no bidding system. You can "request" two flights a month but that goes by seniority. Scheduling hands you a schedule around the 26th of the month.

PBS is supposed to be coming but an email came out a few weeks ago that said it will take at least 9 months.

ATP written is the exact same as in the states. Get the Gleim or sheppard air or just go in with the answers and you'll be fine.

CL65Driver1234
12th Nov 2012, 14:26
THX Expat737.

Do you know what the sim consist of? For type rated FO

PILOTHEAD
12th Nov 2012, 20:08
No comment.

Seven Two Seven
12th Nov 2012, 20:38
Does anyone knows if in Copa pilots have to pay for their own training?

There's any kind of agreement?

Bukkake
14th Nov 2012, 01:40
Yes, on day one at Copa HQ you will be required to pay them (in cash) for the princely sum of $42,000.00 USD. You can substitute your first born child if you wish, but it must be caucasian only.

Good luck, and welcome to Copa!

efatnas
20th Nov 2012, 02:22
Hi
I got an email from somebody at Copa to send in my stuff. Before I go could somebody who works or worked there explain how it is possible to stretch 80 or 90 hours a month into 23 days when more then half of the destinations are more then five hours away. I'm flying corporate since my airline imploded and am thinking lately to go back flying the big ones. Any info is appreciated.

Expat737
20th Nov 2012, 17:57
They manage to do it. If you expect to commute home to the US then it's not for you. For example, I have a flight tomorrow night (Wednesday) 5 hr flight. I then leave Friday Morning back to Panama. 10 hrs block over 3 days.

That is the norm. Plus a lot of day trips. Out and back to San Jose in a 737 seems a little like overkill to me but no one ask. I prob have the easiest flight home of any gringo I know here and its still a bitch to get enough time to make it worth it.

Jumpseat request is 48 hrs in advance. No going up to the gate and jumping on.

efatnas
22nd Nov 2012, 14:57
Thx Expat. That makes sense. I'll send the paperwork in. Will see if they call me for the interview. I don't have all that much PIC time on the B737 most of it is in B727 but I have been running into the recency requirement of all those guys in Asia and I guess Copa doesn't care about that stuff which is kind of nice. Looking forward to flying a Boeing again. Corporate is an acquired taste. Anyway thanks for the info.

canaryislander
22nd Nov 2012, 17:22
Can anyone tell me how many days annual leave one gets at Copa

Bukkake
22nd Nov 2012, 18:54
30 days vacation

SAND BALLS OF FIRE
22nd Nov 2012, 19:59
are they still hiring fo's???? without type rating?

Seven Two Seven
25th Nov 2012, 17:34
Anybody know about travel benefits??

I would like to know if Copa Airlines provides benefits for our parents and wife to travel for free or with discount?

Seven Two Seven
25th Nov 2012, 18:20
How is the flight schedule at Copa?? Can anyone show an example?

PILOTHEAD
25th Nov 2012, 22:08
lots of scabs out there

Bukkake
26th Nov 2012, 00:25
Travel benefits? Good luck actually getting them and if you somehow do succeed, prepare to pay a butt-load in taxes and fees.

Let me ask you this:
Have you ever had to go to a shopping mall to get your non-rev passes?

I rest my case.

Bukkake
26th Nov 2012, 00:28
Example of Schedule? I'll give you one:

It's now the 25th of the month and no one at Copa has any clue what they will be doing on December 1st.

Here's another:

Fly 6 days in a row, 1 day off, 6 days in a row, 1 day off, 4 days in a row. I'm not making this up, this REALLY happens.

Schickfuss
26th Nov 2012, 05:28
Copa is a great opportunity to get a type , to be current again and that is all , is not a good one if you want to make money or a career as expat , it happens that I got a lot of friends flying there as expats and some are Panamenians which were classmates of mine at Flight School , new contracts $1000 a month until out of IOE to avoid to going drunk to ground school , no more $700 for housing , no seniority , no chance to commute ...it happens that they had hired a lot of low timers that they take the chance to make jet time ...about the bond , Do what everybody does ! take your stuff little by little and when you got something , simply do not appear more in Panama , they can not chase you in any country , Copa as well as TACA are companies to get a Type said thank you and that is it , no retirement plan , no lost of license insurance , and the smarts panamenians looking at you from head to toes !

PILOTHEAD
27th Nov 2012, 22:54
Shockfuss and Japanese facial, you are correct. Lets say one of my roommates has been fighting for full pay the past eight months and keeps getting blown off with all parties involved. There goes a few grand. Lets see today is the 27th and not has nobody received a schedule yet but the crew site is completely taken offline. Lots of jobs in Asia with the same living conditions and triple the pay and respect. Twice the days off and international insurance. Don't even think about getting sick outside of panama.

Bukkake
29th Nov 2012, 03:27
Good point pilothead, I recently acquired some kind of "eye herpes," probably from a "friend" at Habano's or Veneto and went home to the USandA for a few days. The insurance is no bueno outside of Panama unless you are working a trip...and then who knows for sure.

I can't believe they are still paying our frijolero amigo, training Captain pay. Oh wait, yes I can. Pinche Copa!

enrique757
3rd Dec 2012, 15:09
putting aside all the negative and postive stuff about Copa.... I received a pdf with offer prior to interview stating they give housing and transportation during training... dated 2012. Is this a case by case basis or not? Has anyone gone up for interview during October or November?
How long does it take from the time you start school to when you ge your legal papers ready for working? Thanks for the info.

PILOTHEAD
4th Dec 2012, 17:52
What good is a PDF when none of it is complied with. Gotta love those nice pictures they put in there

Seven Two Seven
5th Dec 2012, 15:48
Enrique757,

"Is this a case by case basis or not?" - Do you have "where to live" in Panamá?.... If not, they will provide housing and transportation.

How long does it take from the time you start school to when you ge your legal papers ready for working?" - Don't worry about that. You will start the training and the migration process take up two months.

First, you will receive Temporary Resident ID, valid from 3 months to a maximum of 1 year.

The approval of the migratory process, wich grants residence as a Panamian Aviation Employee might take between 12 and 18 months and is valid for 5 years.

During training (6 months) your pay will be $1033.75, consisting of:

- Salary - $850.00*
- Production Premium - $183.75

*This amount is taxed according to Panamanian laws.

Once checked in the line your pay will be $3023.75, consisting of:

- Salary - $1700.00*
- Per diem – Guaranteed in 66 hours -$1,140.00.
- Production Premium - $183.75.
- Additional hours above 66 are paid $36.25 each.

They said that F/O flies about 84 hours a month.

*This amount is taxed according to Panamanian laws.

They do not have training bond.

To rent a good apartment it will be between $750 and $1200.

I heard from a Captain that you MIGHT take up to 11 months to start the IOE.

The traffic in PTY is really hard. I recomend to live close to Tocumen. Not downtown, otherwise you might take up to two hours to go to Tocumen during the rush time.

Copa still hiring F/O's, but you need to meet the requirements. 1000 TT for EXPAT's, Commercial License and English level 4 or higher.

PILOTHEAD
10th Dec 2012, 22:05
As an FO in copa you will make about 85 thousand a year. The captains are making 17 to 20 thousand a year. Great work rules and conditions. Hurry up get your stuff in before they close the hiring window!

Seven Two Seven
14th Dec 2012, 18:22
Irony is not the best way when people ask for information.

PILOTHEAD
14th Dec 2012, 18:45
It is when ya keep asking stupid questions sir. If everyone would take the time to read the all the posts at hand, you will see every question has already been answered, duh!

MikeCharlie24
24th Jan 2013, 04:15
Hi everyone! I'm from Argentina and I applied to COPA last year for the FO possition and last friday I received an email with the application form. Today I sent all the required documentation and now I wainting a reply. Does anyone knows how long to wait to be contacted again if everything is ok?

Thanks!

Seven Two Seven
24th Jan 2013, 17:48
About two weeks but it's okay if you ask if they received all the documents.

BTW.... I heard that COPA increased the salary during training to $1850,00.

The next F/O class starts on FEB

MikeCharlie24
25th Jan 2013, 02:54
Thanks, that's a good news!

LimaVictor
26th Jan 2013, 18:24
Hi guys,
Does anybody knows if they are only calling F/O's at the moment or do they also look for Pic positions?

MikeCharlie24
28th Jan 2013, 00:23
As I know, they're also calling for Captains.

yycflyguy
29th Jan 2013, 19:53
As an FO in copa you will make about 85 thousand a year. The captains are making 17 to 20 thousand a year. Great work rules and conditions. Hurry up get your stuff in before they close the hiring window!

Huh? FOs are making $85,000 and Captains only $17-20,000? Makes no sense.

MikeCharlie24
29th Jan 2013, 21:04
Captains are making around $103,000 a year, while FO are around $48,000 with the CPL and $60,000 with the ATPL.

pilotfly
11th Feb 2013, 07:14
Hi guys,

Any idea about the time to be upgraded in COPA for an EXPAT spanish native speaker?
Coming from major airline in Europe, Total Jet time 10.500 hrs as F/O and cruise captain 1.000 hrs

Thanks

arvida
17th Feb 2013, 18:59
What the upgrades looks like??? 3 years/15 years??

Do they upgrade by seniority or performance??

And in the SOP's can you fly manually the aircraft??

thanx

samca
21st Feb 2013, 22:35
Hi,

I'm Spanish pilot with ATPL and jet time in executive airplanes.

I have recieve an email from RRHH and know I'm waiting for being called for the interview. If is It more people for the interview I would like to keep in touch with you guys.

Rgds

MikeCharlie24
27th Feb 2013, 07:14
Hi guys, a month and a half ago, I sent all the required documentation, and yesterday I received the mail with the dates for the interview wich are on march:

10th to 13th
13th to 15th
17th to 19th
25th to 27th
26th to 29th

I told them will be available the first date, 10th to 13th. So if anyone receive the email and can go on that date, it would be nice to be in touch!

Good luck everyone!

ConsultantBrz
7th Mar 2013, 01:54
Hi guys. I'm having some trouble with Copa's web application system. It seems that the page where I'm supposed to attach the required documents is missing the "attach file" button. Has anyone else had this problem? The system will not allow me to complete and submit the application without attaching at least one file... Any suggestions?

taz.devil
7th Mar 2013, 15:46
Yes funny site. 'Truly user friendly'. Or was it fiendish...:cool:

You've got to go first to the applicant home, where you will find the attached files place. Put your stuff in and supposedly you will be done...

Good luck

MikeCharlie24
8th Mar 2013, 23:29
A few hours ago I received the reservation code for the tickets to Panama, tomorrow night i'll be flying for my interview, there's anyone else going on this date?

Regards!

chitolin
10th Mar 2013, 16:21
MikeCharlie.
I finished sending my papers last week, still waiting for them to tell about the intervews. Good luck!

Lu0724
10th Mar 2013, 21:21
Good Luck MikeCharlie...!!

Boeing7
12th Mar 2013, 03:26
I received an email to send in my documents..anyone know approximately how long it takes to get notified of an interview. It has been about a week since i submitted everything.

MikeCharlie24
13th Mar 2013, 00:32
Keep waiting, it takes around 2 wweks or more. There's so many pilots who have been called so they are organizing the interviews.

So here I am, at Tocumen airpot waiting for my flight back to Buenos Aires in a few hours and today I finished with all the interview process.

The simulator was fine. A COPA captain gives you a briefing about what he expect to you to do on the test, and all the things you will have to do. To me was a SID from Guatemala Airport, holding on a fix, DME arch and published approach, missed approach, and another ILS approch with a landing. Other pilots took off from El Salvador.

The poligraph it's easy, a little bit creepy, but fine to me. Just a few question about drugs, money laundering, criminal records and falsifications.

Labs it's urine and blood examples.

The interview is with a COPA captain and a girl from Human Resources. They don't ask you anything rare, just a few minutes talk; what do you think about COPA, why COPA, Why do you think they must hire you...and things like that. Then you have to show them some of the original documents.

The COMPASS test is on a computer and you have to do 6 diferent test including 30 ATP questions most of them referred to big jets. Some of similar test you can find it on this page Computerized Pilot Tests-Latest Pilot Jobs (http://www.latestpilotjobs.com/site/mypage/id/gamelist.html)

The psychological test it's also in the same computer and you have to choose one of the two options of common sentences, and are 225 questions.

That's all guys. Good luck to everyone who applied.

Regards.

Boeing7
13th Mar 2013, 03:01
Thanks for the response!

Sounds good.

Best of luck!

chitolin
14th Mar 2013, 15:19
Thanks MikeCharlie.
I received the invitation email yesterday; offering the following dates:
Mar 31 - Apr 2
Apr 2 - Apr 4
Apr 14 - Apr 16

I chose the second one.

MikeCharlie24
15th Mar 2013, 02:06
Thanks MikeCharlie.
I received the invitation email yesterday; offering the following dates:
Mar 31 - Apr 2
Apr 2 - Apr 4
Apr 14 - Apr 16

I chose the second one.

I traveled from to far to Panama, 6.5hs flight. So I chose a 3 days date. I arrived on sunday morning and I had all day free. then had my dates on monday and tuesday until 4:00pm and my flight back was at 21:40pm. I had time to go to know the Panama Canal and the city.

I don't know from where are you going to, but more time it's better to relax and be fresh for the tests! Of course that's only my opinion.

Very good luck! Regards!

EDIT: HAHAHA sorry, you're from Nicaragua, just a few minutes flight! And I bet you already know Panama...nothing to say! Good luck!!!

chitolin
16th Mar 2013, 02:50
No worries MikeCharlie. I went to Panama city once to catch a concert (Soda Stereo), but I only spent that one night there. Pretty short flight 1:10.
thanks.
Update here with any news

samca
16th Mar 2013, 10:23
Chitolin You have a PM.

Cheers

Already Airborne
24th Mar 2013, 19:02
Hey Guys,

I'm also having some trouble with COPA's web site. When I try to register, there is a box that requires a "ID Document Number". But no reference as to where I can find this?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

babisiliop
25th Mar 2013, 08:50
If you are a foreigner passport number(No ID document)

PILOTHEAD
27th Mar 2013, 07:31
It means they aren't hiring anymore. Try somewhere else

fpuentegomez
27th Mar 2013, 07:38
would you care to elaborate a little bit more pilothead?

PILOTHEAD
30th Mar 2013, 04:24
It is rumotered that copa has more first officers than captains, and though they want to expand, it seems that a lot of people arent coming. a lot of the first officers dont have the qualification to upgrade, so the company is probably waiting till they hire more captains or till more of the first officers upgrade. thats my take on the not hiring first officers

MikeCharlie24
1st Apr 2013, 04:41
They are hiring a lot of first officers...and captains too. The vacancy is open for both.

100 above minimums
1st Apr 2013, 05:13
It says on their page: "We are accepting applications from those pilots who meet the requirements. However, due to our fleet training and operational requirements, the priority will be given to candidates who apply for captain"

I thought I'd share this with you guys but I really do not know what to make out of this. I do not know if they have temporarily closed the first officer position or if they're still hiring but at a slower rate. If I were you, I'd give them a call possibly? or check with someone from the inside..

Wish you the best of luck:)

MikeCharlie24
1st Apr 2013, 20:55
I have some friends who went on february for FO, I went on march, and now I'm going back next week for the psychological test, and another friend is going on march 14th for the first stage.

Some other friends sent all the required documentation and still have no response from COPA.

Regards.

PS: All for FO position.

dlcmdrx
2nd Apr 2013, 03:24
Hey mike did all your friends have jet time?? If not how many hours did they have?

MikeCharlie24
2nd Apr 2013, 09:27
No, not all of them have jet hours, and they have around 1100/1600 TT.

Even a guy from Brazil who is type rated in B737NG, did not pass the process...it doesn't matter the kind of hours you have...

mjardini
2nd Apr 2013, 11:01
Hi MC,
This salary for captain $103000 is gross or net ?
Thanks !

casablanca
2nd Apr 2013, 15:44
I believe I can say with a fair degree of certainty that salary quote is gross pay.

7Q Off
2nd Apr 2013, 18:56
I read that in COPA salary they pay viaticos per month guarantied beside base salary and gastos de representacion. This viaticos included the Viaticos in the layovers?? Y read the new convenio colectivo and in one chapter they said that copa pay 100 usd in layovers in south america and 75 in north america or something like that in layovers but I dont know if this are included in the salary or they pay it cash on layovers like in most companies. Tks.

mjardini
3rd Apr 2013, 13:52
thanks guys.Just wanna know the real net salary for captains before
adventure myself to copa.
cheers:ok:

MikeCharlie24
4th Apr 2013, 20:20
Is gross salary, then you have taxes.

Schickfuss
4th Apr 2013, 22:19
I was chatting with a friend , he was applying for a FO seat , he is above 40 years with more than 10000 TT and 5000 as FO in jets , He had do not recieved any mail , but from an insider from recruitment they are accepting or interviewing for the FO position pilots under 35 years old , there is not anything about age on the web site from Copa , so everybody in this forum close to or above do not waste your time , those news are real!!! von Schickfuss.

MikeCharlie24
4th Apr 2013, 23:37
But why he apply for FO? Don't he have 1000hs in any airline, or anything like that? Maybe they make an exception, because they need captains.

7Q Off
5th Apr 2013, 00:56
COPA ask for a min of 1000 hs as captain or PiC in jet for a DEC no exception.

falconetti
5th Apr 2013, 11:24
There are exceptions ! They are in need of captains, so they offer you a position as c, and train you if you have some 1000's of hours on type as fo.
And concerning age max for FO's...this cant be right?!
It would be official and mentioned in the requirements.
This is a rumours network, I know, but....:=, but please elaborate...

PalmtreePilot74
5th Apr 2013, 16:48
They CAN'T be desperate like some of you people keep saying. I have well over the minimums for DEC, I applied twice since October '12 and have never heard a peep from them, except the email acknowledging my application. :suspect:

Maybe this is a sign about how they run that place.:D

Schickfuss
8th Apr 2013, 01:19
It is true this is a rumor forum , but many rumors beca me true , I can not reveal the source , but I can tell You The Captain number 28 in the copa seniority was mate in flying school , he is b737 Captain and instructorHe and the current administrative recruitment Manager issued me a chat , in resume it said that Copa had change it age requirements for FO under 35 ...I answer that to avoid to much expectation they have to add the age limit in their web site page as mostly of the Airlines do , he told me that he is not in charge of it but is was good to be mentioned to avoid misunderstanding , but everybody is free to believed in the post ...2 collegues went on January an still waiting ...good luck to all You applicants ! v S .

chitolin
10th Apr 2013, 04:37
http://www.pprune.org/caribbean-latin-america/492214-copa-airlines-interviews-6.html#post7739251

MikeCharlie24
10th Apr 2013, 22:21
Went on january and still waiting??? That sounds bad...A friend of mine went on february and know he's on the bridge course. I went on march, and come back today morning for the psychological test...if I'm, OK, next week I'm going to live to Panama, starting my bridge course on 29th.

Since you receive the mail requering your documentation, you'd have to expect around 3 months (if everything goes well) to complete all the process and start working at COPA.

Regards.

MikeCharlie24
15th Apr 2013, 16:18
Hey everyone!! I passed all the tests!!! Next weekend I'll be moving to Panama to start all the legal process! Everything you need, contact me!!!

Regards!!!

mentorbz
16th Apr 2013, 10:16
congrats mike charlie!

NoJoy
16th Apr 2013, 10:37
Congratulations on getting on MikeCharlie!
Now get in, strap in, and hang on. It's about to get interesting... :O

7Q Off
16th Apr 2013, 22:57
Felicidades Mike Charlie

Topeharry
19th Apr 2013, 11:08
Hi guys, first of all I'd like to introduce myself, I'm currently working for an Spanish airline, around 14 years and I think is time to move on, things are getting really tough.
I'm quite interested in working for Copa and applied last year for Cpt. I got the mail in january from HHRR asking for additional documents and so far I didn't receive any news, Do you know what's the normal time to expect a date for interview?.
Thanks a lot..:rolleyes:
By the way, Felicidades MikeCharlie :D

BRITSGOHOME
19th Apr 2013, 14:47
Are you crazy TOPEharry?

Estas loco??

Cant you seriously find something better than Copa??

Topeharry
19th Apr 2013, 20:08
Hola Britshgohome,
Flying the Crj I have some other offers: Japan, Indonesia and China, ME carriers are kind of stuck and are not an option for short/medium term, I want to bring my family with me and well....., I know I won't be rich but as far as money is enough to live there I think I can handle it.
Anyhow, any info or advise will be welcomed :O
By the way, my support to all of you and Willy go home!!!

samca
20th Apr 2013, 11:51
Hola Topharry,

I also decided apply and go out this rubish country called Spain. I sent the app for FO and in my case It was quick answer but other people says that It takes around a month for recieving the invitation. So if I were you would try to give them a call and see how is your status.

In my case i did the test more than two weeks ago and news Should come soon.

Good luck and good decition to go out Spain there is good company out there.

Kind regards,

S.

BRITSGOHOME
21st Apr 2013, 22:54
Thanks Topeharry but i dont fly for IB, wih though.

In any case take one thing into account with COPA, there is no seniority

mprribeiro
30th Apr 2013, 18:00
I'm going to take an interview at copa next month, my position is FO.

I would like to know how much is the salary at Copa after taxes, how many hours the FO flying per month, days off, if you can ask for some flights in your scheduled, cost of living at Panamá......

Thanks

PILOTHEAD
13th May 2013, 23:51
Britsgohome, don't worry. Let these people come and destroy their careers. They will realize how productive they will become when they get in the society. And how proud it is to be a pilot under these terms and work rules. After almost a year or training, mostly waiting around for ioe and they are off the instructor schedules lets see how long shiny jet syndrome last when they are chronically exhausted in back to back 7 hour red eyes and two days paying two hours of flight time valued at 69 dollars and hour with three hours of rest in the hotel. Yes unless you are panamanian you get no seniority so enjoy your seven Non consecutive days off a month. It's ok. , if all you want to do in your life is fly airplanes than apply to copa

overclock25
14th May 2013, 17:14
Hi guys! Any news regarding FO calls for this period? I have applied with 1300TT and 737 rated. Anyone in the same situation?

Thanks

Yankee Sierra
14th May 2013, 17:54
PILOTHEAD is absolutelly right ! the seniority is just for the panamenians , I have bad news for those above 35 years , they have change the rules , a good friend of mine called miss Ambar to check his status , he was rejected because of his age ( FO position ) ...he awaited for 3 months until he gets mis ambar answer , but he get it only because he called otherwise he will be seated in front of his computer waiting ...Panama is now like a little QR , many rotation of pilots , many left panama because of the POOR management treatment and new opportunities on the market as well , as PILOTHEAD published YOU decide what to do , but remember We are Proffesional Pilots we deserve better things than copa ...

shilmp
15th May 2013, 03:48
Hello, i received a mail from hr the last week requesting some docs but currently i have not received the invitation to the interview... somebody else has received this mail these days?

PalmtreePilot74
18th May 2013, 22:54
I'm interested in knowing how or why training at Copa takes a year to complete. Does this include higher experienced ATPs going there at DECs?

pabloargentina
24th May 2013, 16:41
Buenas tardes Mike Charlie como estas?
Te cuento que yo estoy esperando para ver si me llaman para el psicologico y queria preguntarte, que tal es el examen ? es dificil o mas bien solo una formalidad.? mas o menos en que consiste?.
Felicidades por el ingreso
Saludos
Pablo

bakeandshake
28th May 2013, 02:00
what up everybody im flying md 82 in Vzla , but i will like to try for a spot at COPA AIRLINES .... just to know, around how many hours you guys are applying with ???

mprribeiro
28th May 2013, 19:28
I've heard from now on expats FO just with icao 5 or 6 and jet hours since copa had many problems in usa.

Tailwind743
31st May 2013, 05:21
>mprribeiro

Is that a true story? Looks like the Copa's homepage is still showing ICAO English level 4 and just 1,000 total time for a requirement..

samca
31st May 2013, 11:58
Thats not true my friend. I have level 4 and I've passed the screening...

mprribeiro
31st May 2013, 17:50
Samca

when have you passed? Because this happened 2 weeks ago. I took the screening on May 12th and i'm still waiting the answer.

factor-x
1st Jun 2013, 00:07
Keep in mind that this is the "professional pilot rumour network."

This is the rumour that I heard: The limitation applies only when flying into the USA. Due to a problem on which a flight crew failed to properly communicate with US controllers the FAA mandated that any panamanian flights going into the USA must be piloted by crew with no less than english proficiency level 6.

The internal COPA rumour has it that the crew failed to comply with ATC instructions and destroyed a tight sequence of aircraft. Airplanes had to be diverted to avoid an accident when the COPA pilots all of a sudden started maneuvering contrary to ATC.

All pilots that have level 4 or 5 are still able to fly for the airline but are not assigned flights into the USA. Some exceptions do apply within the airline.

Once again, this is a rumour... this is not confirmed. The sources are people that under certain circumstances are sometimes considered reliable. I cannot confirm this intel.

chitolin
1st Jun 2013, 03:34
I heard that rumour too, applying also to DHL Panama. They say that a 757 taking off from ORD was requested to fly heading 360 right after takeoff, and the crew performed a 360 over the airport at 2000ft, several aircrafts were vectored away from the airport in the meantime and it was a big mess.

themagicman00
1st Jun 2013, 03:46
That's too funny. Typical incidents that sometimes become accidents. Last time I was flying near MIA, Aerolineas Argentinas was supposed to turn left to RWY 8L as they were approaching the airport from the north....they passed the RWY and decided to make a left turn into RWY 8R, need less to say a great cluster FCUK occurred, pretty much all A/C on final were diverted to handle this incident. The CAPT was summoned to the TWR...I'm pretty sure he is not flying into the U.S. anymore.
Not too long ago, a kid with a terrible english speaking skills was hired with COPA, granted he had Level 4 ICAO standards...how did he get that? No wonder FAA is getting on their cases.

factor-x
1st Jun 2013, 19:31
Sad but true...

Boeing Europe
2nd Jun 2013, 14:27
Hi guys I have applied many times to Copa and have never got a response have around 1k hours on the NG and more total time ICAO level 6 basic Spanish anyone know how to send it directly to someone ?? IE have an inside contact?

samca
2nd Jun 2013, 18:51
Not too many latin pilots has level 6 English. I Heard the same history about this crew but the rumour It comes not two weeks ago but more than 2 months ago, since this incident happend.

It is strange that USA requires COPA all the pilot with level 6. I think It would not be fair.

Pin Head
2nd Jun 2013, 19:25
samca

I think It would not be fair.

Exactly. There is too much below average English in an ever increasing use of airspace. All English must be level 6.

samca
3rd Jun 2013, 11:34
Same for you Pin Head, level 6 Spanish when you Fly Sudamérica, Spain... Thats fully ridículous, level 4 is enough and the most of pilots can Fly and comunicate properly y with this level.

That just was an incident do not try to lie people.

factor-x
3rd Jun 2013, 14:52
I've tried to be nice but the fact of the matter is that COPA lowered their standards because the needed to, not because they wanted to.

I have several close friends who have 4 bars on their shoulders with English level 5 and all their flights into the USA where removed from their schedules and switched for flights to Latinamerica.

I guess the rule is that either both crew members are English level 6 or at least the captain is English level 6 when flying into the USA.

And to all of you guys saying that this is unfair well I'm sorry to say this but English has always been the language of aviation.

factor-x
3rd Jun 2013, 14:57
All of you complaining that this is unfair is because your English sucks too. Sorry you just have to admit it. Who the heck are you guys to say that the Americans cannot impose rules for foreign carriers that employ pilots that cannot speak English? It's a safety issue.

samca
3rd Jun 2013, 16:37
Yes but if the Law says that pilots with level 4 can Fly to USA you must accept.

I'm agree english is language in aviation but I've been flying in Europe, specially London área with my level 4 and never ever I have had any problem, I sure you.

I never have flown in USA but It Should be no too many different from UK except for the acent.

Probably USA controllers are a littel bit different from the European controllers. I have heard they do not accept the words "say again please" they do not understand that english language is not our mother language. Even in our mother language com sometimes you need to clarify a Message given by a controller. It is normal in a cockpit with other noise around you.

Anyway what I think is that you do not accept that COPA has not called your collegues but this is only my feeling.

Caming back to the crew problem in Chicago, I still thinking that It was just an incident but the pilots can navigate and comunicate in English without any problem. I heard that the problem was that the Captain starter to discuss with the controller... Bad idea.
Also I have heard that FAA doesn't put level 6 as a required It has been the company and It has been level 5 and only to some airports.

Rgds

shilmp
3rd Jun 2013, 17:21
Anyway .... Do you need to take the icao English exam in panama when you validate the license don't you?

samca
3rd Jun 2013, 20:36
Yes that is

Boeing Europe
4th Jun 2013, 05:21
So has anyone recieved any feedback from HR in the last while about interviews etc , still nothing for me.

mentorbz
4th Jun 2013, 13:56
Copa needs to stop hiring pilots from spain who pay for their type and can't speak properly...haha

mprribeiro
13th Jun 2013, 17:12
Any news about FO selection process? or new ground school?

MikeCharlie24
14th Jun 2013, 11:10
No more interviews for FO's this year. A friend of mine came about two weeks (He's waiting for a response) and the HHRR girl told his group they were the last of this year.

Only Captains since now.

Maybe they start recruit people again around october/november of year for the next year.

Regards!

mprribeiro
14th Jun 2013, 19:15
A friend of mine is going next June 25th, i think this is the last one for FO.

Mike Charlie are you at the ground school? What are you seeing and what's your first impression?

I've heard the will be FO ground school only on October 1.

chitolin
14th Jun 2013, 22:56
There were interviews this week.

duncanTrevor
10th Jul 2013, 06:41
The interview is with a COPA captain and a girl from Human Resources. They don't ask you anything rare, just a few minutes talk; what do you think about COPA, why COPA, Why do you think they must hire you...and things like that. Then you have to show them some of the original documents.

The COMPASS test is on a computer and you have to do 6 diferent test including 30 ATP questions most of them referred to big jets. Some of similar test you can find it on this page Computerized Pilot Tests-Latest Pilot Jobs (http://www.latestpilotjobs.com/site/mypage/id/gamelist.html)

The psychological test it's also in the same computer and you have to choose one of the two options of common sentences, and are 225 questions.

buhwana
19th Jul 2013, 03:55
I received in my email today an invitation to apply for a Captains job at COPA. I have been reviewing all the comments here to decide whether I want to go through the ringer for so little pay. Though I am retired from AA (26 year career, 18000 hrs, 737 type and 4.5 years PIC) I have been looking at moving to Panama and thought this might be an opportunity to do so with a pay check. Isn't the first 92K (or so) free of taxes for Americans working abroad? Though the pay is half what you can make in Chine I have no desire to live in China. I know from research you can live cheaply in Panama, but probably not close to the city where you would have to reside so don't know if it's worth it. Still mulling it over.

KRUGERFLAP
19th Jul 2013, 15:34
the problem there is the salary way too low.But if you have your pension.I think is a great idea.

Best of Luck!

buhwana
19th Jul 2013, 17:41
Because I retired when i did I was able to keep some of my retirement before the greedy Robber Barons rode off in their Golden Parachutes. May they all rot in Hell! Never the less Is there any one on this forum who was hired as a captain with COPA who can tell me whether they can survive in PTY where the cost of living is greater then the country side of Panama? Does the company provide transportation to the airport as they indicated in their offer to me? How are the people who work for COPA and what is the availability of schools for a HS junior? What are the chances for movement up to the training department, where I was before. How many days do you wok and vs off? And the most important questions, unlike AA, are Captains treated like Captains or just monetary units?

pilotelr
29th Jul 2013, 23:13
BUWHANA, youre never going to see the training department and sim instructors in Copa make the same if not less than line pilots and they work probably 40 or more hours a week versuses 100 hours of flight a month. Captain pay is 69 dollars an hour, and there is no payscale. There is transportation to work, and they pick you up and a van full of people, i believe up to seven people. So its a long ride home sitting in the back of a utility van with bench seats and insane amounts of traffic everyday. stiff ride, and low quality roads. youre better off having a car so you can get home in 15 to 20 minutes if you live in the city versus 1 to two hours of dropping everyone off in places nowhere near the direction of your home. for schools, i am pretty sure your child will not get near as good of an education here than the US, so think about his future. Majors in the US, some, should be hiring, and you will make second year FO more than eternal captain pay here. and you only get 7 non consecutive days off a month with lots of cargo pilots schedules. I am hoping you are over your SJS at your point in your career, so just be careful and think about whats best for your family

fabricio79
1st Aug 2013, 11:39
I never understand the people who want to fly until they last day of life, you had your time, your opportunities, just left the spot for the new people, here we call that "the highlander pilot"

piloto_cessna
3rd Aug 2013, 13:44
I'm from brazil... And believe in me.. There's no jobs here!!!! We are in cysis.

leonel35
4th Aug 2013, 16:59
Has anyone found document from FAA requiring this new level of ICAO for Panamanian Airlines?

uswc45
5th Aug 2013, 15:55
Can any Americans here tell me how to go about getting an apostille on my logbook pages?

The Dept. of State will not do it without a state apostille first but, my state will only apostille public documents signed by a state official. Logbooks are personal legal records, I think it's mpossible to get this required apostille for the Panamanian AAC.

dc8dude
5th Aug 2013, 22:47
I interviewed last month for DEC, I had explained to them beforehand that in USA we do not have a system for authenticating logbooks. Didn't seem to be a problem, they only glanced at one of my 4 logbooks :). Just found out I passed the process, just need to go back to take CAA phsyc. test. All interview went exactly as posted on this forum. Very friendly folks!

uswc45
5th Aug 2013, 23:56
Congrats on passing the interview. I start class next month, maybe I'll see you there. Wait until you get the final offer, then they'll tell you about the apostille requirement for logbooks. For the interview, I just had my Chief Pilot staple a business card to the last page.

wingflyer
6th Aug 2013, 00:15
What you could do is make a copy of the last (or more) page(s) of your logbook, place a text somewhere like "I, .........., hereby certify that this is a true and correct copy of the last page of my Pilot Logbook, used to record flight experience in compliance with the requirements of the Federal Aviation Administration", and then go to a public notary and sign it. After that you can take that piece of paper to a local office of authentication services and have it apostilled for the country you want to use it. In DC it is like $ 15 per page, the link to the place in DC is:
Notary and Authentication Services | os (http://os.dc.gov/service/notary-and-authentication-services)

dc8dude
6th Aug 2013, 01:08
Yikes! Thanks for the heads up guys, I'll look into it. Sounds like a pita!

uswc45
7th Aug 2013, 01:24
Yes, it is a PITA so just to save everyone some trouble I'll post the process here in case someone needs to know.

1. Go to a Notary Public
2. Go to county courthouse to verify the notary public's signature
3. Go to your state's Department of State building to receive a state apostille
4. Go to the U.S. Department of State (Schedule an appt. for same day svc.) and receive a second apostille.

wingflyer
7th Aug 2013, 02:03
you may not need to do steps 3 & 4, the whole point of the apostille is to skip those, otherwise it is just a process of legalization of signatures. Both procedures should be fine but if your document says Apostille technically you don't need anything else, at least not by international law, but the company may ask you whatever they want

Pin Head
7th Aug 2013, 03:13
Hi

Please help with the following

Are they recruiting for FO type rated?
Do they upgrade? If so how long? 10k TT 1k 737ng
Did you all struggle with the online application form?

Thxs

Topeharry
7th Aug 2013, 13:26
Jo Pin Head
I had some trouble in the past using a Mac, if that's your case, give it a try with a pc running on windows.
Cheers

Boeing Europe
12th Aug 2013, 13:14
Do copa only hire US FAA pilots I have applied a year ago online I have sent e mails and nothing 737 of 1k plus on type

robiemartin
12th Aug 2013, 21:07
Applied for DEC position. Would appreciate corresponding with expat who is flying or who has flown as Captain for COPA. Would greatly appreciate it if someone is willing to PM on the topic.

Puck2
17th Aug 2013, 13:17
Hey, hell I'm going 4 it. It seems like fun to live in Panama. i'm retired myself after 34 years of AirForce.
If they'll have me I'm moving and "we" are going to drink beer and play golf. And after 1 year I'll probably offer them, I'll only fly 70% and make 100%

Hows that, cu you there mate.:ok:

PILOTHEAD
17th Aug 2013, 14:50
Well you will work 100% and get paid 70% so you have come to the right place my friend. Welcome to the club :)

Pin Head
17th Aug 2013, 19:22
Hi

Has anyone struggled with the online application form?

It blanks all my responses!

Pin Head
17th Aug 2013, 19:54
I cant create a username or password.
thanks

Puck2
18th Aug 2013, 20:24
Does any one know how they roster works and how many holidays or leave?

Boeing Europe
19th Aug 2013, 04:26
Do copa only hire US FAA pilots I have applied a year ago online I have sent e mails and nothing 737 of 1k plus on type

PILOTHEAD
19th Aug 2013, 21:08
If someone didn't response to your first post, probably ain't going to respond to your second either

Boeing Europe
20th Aug 2013, 16:57
Why thank you so much for pointing that out pilot head , I am going to ask a third time tommorow and you can tell me that if I have ow asked twice etc etc http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/bah.gif

PILOTHEAD
21st Aug 2013, 20:14
I'm waiting for it

casablanca
22nd Aug 2013, 01:48
With regards to whether or not Copa only hires US FAA pilots....I don't believe that is true. I know there are many nationalities and know several Spanish pilots who went there after Spanair became defunct

PILOTHEAD
22nd Aug 2013, 12:17
Yes thats true. If they didnt interview you, than they dont want you. Apply somewhere else

Pin Head
29th Aug 2013, 21:12
Hi

Do they upgrade foreign pilot? If so time to command?

Thxs

Pin

Gusz
30th Aug 2013, 16:29
Honest question, why would someone want to work for this outfit? Low pay,awful work rules, subpar benefits, etc... Again, honest question...

PILOTHEAD
31st Aug 2013, 18:22
Same reason battered women continue in their relationships. It's called insanity

Snowcat
2nd Sep 2013, 04:31
You guys should forget all together about this outfit, please.
It is not worthy your time.
how many times people here has repeated over and over again and the are still guys willing to try !!!!!
what else you need to know ????:ugh:

koenig 218
2nd Sep 2013, 16:39
Hi Snowcat can you elaborate please whats your opinion?do you work for Copa?Would appreciate your honesty.

Snowcat
3rd Sep 2013, 16:57
No, I dont work for COPA. I know a lot of people that work or did work for them.
I also did a lot of research about them and I read most of the post here, because I was considering to give them a try.

Pay is very low, numbers have been posted here and I've seen pay stabs from my friends that work and worked for COPA. I've also seen their pilots log book where you can quick figure out that you will work like a dog.

Training is very long and the pay is even less that when you are released in the line.
Dont forget that COPA owners are in the trucking business , so for them you are just a truck driver. Without offending truck drivers but I know about the truck drivers working conditions in South America.

They dont hire NG Captains, if you have some experience in NG's, 767 or 757 chances are that they wont hire you even if you speak Spanish and have experience in South America.
I understand they've been hiring unemployed Spanish pilots and RJ guys from the USA.
Hiring process is for an astronaut, you even have to pass a disgusting lie detector test.
Panamanians are rude, very rude.
The list goes on and on. As I said, It has been explained so many times here.
Guys, at one point you have to believe something of what you read here.

Yeah I know, you still want to give it a try, then go and have fun !!!
Dont forget to tour the Panama Canal, that is the only thing well organized and interesting because it was done by somebody else. :ok:

chitolin
3rd Sep 2013, 17:38
Snowcat:

Interesting input.
However this forum is not only for US or europeans retired captains trying to make money out of a new place and company to fly with.
Central and southamerican pilots have little or no airlines that are hiring as COPA. I can say that all pilots on central america (except salvadorians) have no other airline to apply to than COPA; and salvadorians have TACA (which now owned by Avianca will hire more colombian pilots).
Southamerican companies are not hiring either (LATAM is very slow).
European companies are not hiring (unless you want to pay for your type rating and give it a try with Ryanair). That's why there are a lot of spanish pilots flying in COPA.
If it doesn't work for you, it doesn't.
US low time pilots can definetly start flying for a regional (making $20k a year), which is way below the poverty line. So, flying with COPA makes sense to a lot of people.

PILOTHEAD
10th Sep 2013, 00:14
Snowcat is correct!! And a us regional pilot makes 20 an hour first year yes but they have pay scales and make 30 to 35 an hour the second year and it only goes up. Remind you health insurance, a retirement account, dental and vision and effortless Nonrev free travel. Profit sharing and reduced stock options for purchase. The list goes on but it is a free upgrade from a crj or erj but with a paycut and no pay scale beyond first year pay for a captain. Fo pay is between 30 and 33 dollars an hour and if you do the math and with the training schedule in copa, you will finish your ioe in a year because captain training is always finished first while the first officer sits around and waits for an available instructor. Good luck with the schedules also. Call sick for fatigue and that's an automatic suspension in that place

PILOTHEAD
10th Sep 2013, 00:16
But if you don't give a **** about anything else in life and just want to fly airplanes, go down there. You will get to do a lot of that. Flying airplanes!! Good luck gentlemen

worldrover
11th Sep 2013, 15:55
Hi guys,

On pilotjobsnetwork.com the reference to Captain's salary is 9000$ + 3500+something PerDiems etc (Gross).
Are these numbers realistic? And how much is tax % in Panama.

Thanks in advance

babisiliop
12th Sep 2013, 07:35
As far as I know,you get circa 8000$ the most all included.
Good luck.

Cheers

zondaracer
12th Sep 2013, 12:00
Exact pay breakout for FO per COPA. I don't have the chart for Captain pay.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8255/8693435967_534fd18e47_c.jpg

Wan68
23rd Sep 2013, 21:13
All is true regarding what Pete says...
Copa is a crap operation.

There is absolutely zero leadership at the company and
Panamanians hate foreign pilots, not just gringo pilots.

Newest policy is Pilots must pay for Non Rev flights.
This company is one of the most profitable airlines in the world,
and now they require pilots to pay to go home on their time off.
Amazing Place indeed. If you get 7 hard days off per month, you will
be lucky. If you are told anything different, it is a lie.

Only desparate people in need of flight time would work at this place.
Get current and Get the hell out would be the only reason to go there.

Wan68
23rd Sep 2013, 22:32
More like $7500 when it is all said and done.
That includes per diem.

You get paid twice per month.
first of the month pay check is like, $1300
and the 13th of the month is like $5500 after tax.
(assuming you flew like 90 hours)

Hope that helps.

Housing is paid every 4 months.
800/mo less taxes..so like 600/mo

Wan68
23rd Sep 2013, 22:36
Roster is 23 ON and 7 OFF.
You get the schedule when they fell like publishing it.
Usually the schedule comes out on the 28th of the Month for
the following month.

So you if you are off on the 1st..you had 2 days notice that
you are going to be off. Very curious place, Copa.

mprribeiro
25th Sep 2013, 20:40
there is no more housing allowance at copa.

factor-x
29th Sep 2013, 03:18
I'm happy to announce that I passed all the recruitment process filters. I start F/O ground school with them in October!

I don't care what anyone else might say, a job's a job. I'm gonna do this right!

PlanetEarth
1st Oct 2013, 15:31
Congratulations.

I'm in the beginning of the recruitment process myself. To me it doesn't look too bad in regards to pay as I have no experience yet on any jet plane, and it's more than what I'm making right now.

Does anyone know if they upgrade foreigners at all? Are all captains Panamanian, or are there some expat captains too at this point?

sf28
1st Oct 2013, 18:22
yes there's at least one expat captain from south america( Bolivia).:)

MikeCharlie24
3rd Oct 2013, 06:41
There's a lot of captains from everywhere not only Panama, and the requirements are the same for all, once you are inside, 4000hs TT and 1000hs on the company. For me, I started to work in COPA a few months with 1500hs TT, and my expectation to be Captain it's around 3 years more or less. No other company in the world gives you that oportunity. You'll fly modern aircraft with an excellent maintenance, a few days ago I flew the second oldest 737 of the fleet, a -700 built on year 2000, no MEL item at all and excellent engine parameters. Maybe the payment is not the best, but you wont be worried about your safety and you will have the oportunity to grow up professionaly very quickly! Then you'll have the chance to choose where you wanna fly!

Regards!

Pin Head
6th Oct 2013, 21:12
Are they recruiting at the minute?

Would they take a rated European pilot with FAA ATP.

Thanks

factor-x
7th Oct 2013, 15:29
It's easier if you already know pilots or staff inside. If they don't have anyone they can ring that will vouch for you, then it takes longer for them to call you.

But either way they will email you. Just make sure you meet all the requirements posted on their webpage.

There's another FO class starting November.

factor-x
7th Oct 2013, 15:31
Good luck with your recruitment process. Make sure you prepare for the simulator assessment properly by utilizing the UNPAC simulator, anyone can use it to practice, you just have to make a reservation to practice with one of the instructors.

overclock25
7th Oct 2013, 17:24
Are they also calling expats FO? I have all of the requirements (1500+ and 737 rated, ICAO lev 5 and spanish speaking) but I am still waiting for a call....

gsoflyer
17th Oct 2013, 14:29
Factor-X....

I heard that classes got postponed in the last week or so.... Any truth to that?

gsoflyer

VSB1976
19th Oct 2013, 11:07
Hi

Does anyone confirm the upper limit of 35 years for FO? Is there any 35+ FO on the latest recruitments?

Including the 7 days off, how many nights at PTY home base?

Thanks! ;)

mprribeiro
20th Oct 2013, 00:56
there is no age limit for FO. I have a friend 41 years and he is on the simulator now. Much more than 7 nights at pty.

VSB1976
20th Oct 2013, 04:37
Thanks my "chapa"! :ok:

Check Airman
22nd Oct 2013, 05:27
zondaracer,

Thanks for the pay chart. What are taxes like for a single expat living in Panama?

AviatorJack
22nd Oct 2013, 08:38
Hi guys question, I applied for this position a couple of years ago and was updating my information to apply again on the peoplesoft (terrible bit of software) page.

It wouldn't let me apply for the FO position. When I checked for positions applied for, it said rejected.

1. In the first place I can't understand why it would be rejected and...

2. My online resume has been updated, surely I should be able to apply again.

Any ideas?

PlanetEarth
22nd Oct 2013, 14:54
I did my application, and got an email from them, where they said I would be handled, but I needed to send more documents to them.

Some of the documents they need are neigh impossible to get hold of where I work now, and it will take a lot of time. So I guess it aint gonna happen for me.

realairliner
3rd Nov 2013, 20:01
Hi Folks,

I have passed the first part of the pilot selection process and need to comeback in two weeks to absolv the civil aviation autorities Psycological test, any infos about this, will be very grateful

RA

williamwithaker
4th Nov 2013, 00:30
Hello everyone.

I have been invited to Panama on day 25 last month, selected a date which should be next tuesday (day after tomorrow) and have not received any kind of confirmation yet.

Called on Friday to HHRR and nobody answer as they are on holidays and for what I know, they will be until wednesday.

Is this normal? Some of my friends have been confirmed 24 hs before their flight but not sure if that's standard procedure or what happened.

realairliner
4th Nov 2013, 11:40
Hi William, I got my confirmation a week before the flight, they need to receive the booking confirmation before the can send it to you, I would try to ask them again via email or calling them...

all the best RA

williamwithaker
4th Nov 2013, 14:57
Thanks for your reply. Are you having your interviews this month or have you already traveled?

Brude
7th Nov 2013, 09:11
Hi guys!

I am an ATR pilot willing to change it for a 737 or a 190 and join COPA! I have fill the form through their website but no answer... and this was more than a year ago!
How did you do it to get an interview? Any chance that someone could give me a contact, email or something?

Thanks everyone for the help!

realairliner
7th Nov 2013, 21:57
Hi William, I´m already done with the first part. just coming back for the psycological test of the CAA ( civil aviation agency) unfortunatelly nobody seems to have information for this test...i didn´t have any problems with communications and cordinations with the Copa recruiters, they are very easy and helpful....

Mike Charlie Alpha
10th Nov 2013, 18:46
:ok:

Does anyone know how long before the COPA sends the e-mail about the assessment day for travel to Panama?