PDA

View Full Version : COPA Airlines interviews

Pages : 1 [2] 3

josesilvajs
14th Nov 2013, 18:40
How much does a F/O get net? I saw the money chart, but wanted to know how much will end up coming in my pocket! Besides, how expats are sending money to their countries?

How about life cost for a young couple (30 yr) + a young baby? I mean rent, a reasonable car, grossery, etc.

And any tips on where to live out there?

Thanks!

factor-x
21st Nov 2013, 00:32
Hi,

I recommend looking for housing ONLY in the following areas for security reasons: Costa del Este, San Francisco, Bella Vista, Marbella, Paitilla, Punta Pacifica, Coco del Mar, Altos del Golf, Area Bancaria (banking area), El Cangrejo, El Carmen, Via Argentina, Via España, Clayton, Albrook.

This is a link to the biggest website for property rental and purchase where you can get an idea of the going rates for real estate lately: Inmuebles en Panamá: alquiler y venta de casas, apartamentos, oficinas, terrenos, locales y otras propiedades - compreoalquile.com (http://www.compreoalquile.com)

I'm also married too.We are leasing a car from the bank for USD $350/month + USD $60 on car insurance.

We also got into a mortgage for a small 2 bedroom apartment (aprox. 65 mts2) for aprox. $700 monthly. I still have to pay for utilities (electricity, water, cell phone, etc).

We spend aprox. $500 to $600 on groceries and personal stuff for both of us a month

Dont get a maid, its not safe to have anyone in your house lately. Never ride a taxi for any reason, you will get robbed and possibly shot.

It's better to get a ride from a friend or rent a car on a day you know you have to do a lot of errands. Even the bus is safer than the taxis, stay away from Taxis!

mprribeiro
21st Nov 2013, 19:16
What? Stay away from taxis? Why? i´ve been leaving here for 4 months and i ride a taxi daily and i´ve never had a problem with this.

realairliner
27th Nov 2013, 22:21
I have passed all the tests and will start in January as captain, does somebody know if they are hiring for the B737 or Emb-190 fleet? :bored:

factor-x
28th Nov 2013, 01:17
Last thing I heard is that everyone is getting sent to the B737.

7Q Off
28th Nov 2013, 16:53
Does copa pay per diem on layovers? Cash? Tks

Ex-Brazilian
28th Nov 2013, 18:50
Hey guys!

Right now I have 1100TT with 900hrs on E190 and I really want to get hired by COPA! Do you think that my experience is competitive for what COPA is requiring?

Anyone can confirm that COPA is currently hiring FO's?

How much time take from applying in the website to get an interview?

I really want to fly the Boeing - or even the Embraer - and get out of this country!

Thanks for the help!

Sorry my english!

TyRod
28th Nov 2013, 19:46
Hi guys,

Is Copa taking foreigners with no hours on type?
I am rated with 2500 TT ( 2000 heavy turboprop).

Thanks for the inputs.

factor-x
2nd Dec 2013, 00:01
Dear Ex Brazilian: Yes you qualify. Send in your papers ASAP.

Hey guys!

Right now I have 1100TT with 900hrs on E190 and I really want to get hired by COPA! Do you think that my experience is competitive for what COPA is requiring?

Anyone can confirm that COPA is currently hiring FO's?

How much time take from applying in the website to get an interview?

I really want to fly the Boeing - or even the Embraer - and get out of this country!

Thanks for the help!

Sorry my english!

factor-x
2nd Dec 2013, 00:04
Last thing we were told is that 2 scheduled classes for early 2014 had to be put on hold because they cant seem to get enough FO's. What they are looking for is total time. Jet time is a plus but not a requirement.

TyRod it seems that you meet the experience requirements.

Hi guys,

Is Copa taking foreigners with no hours on type?
I am rated with 2500 TT ( 2000 heavy turboprop).

Thanks for the inputs.

Ex-Brazilian
2nd Dec 2013, 00:48
Thanks factor-x!

I didn't make my ICAO English test yet, so I will apply my CV to the website only in the next 15 days!

You work at COPA??

Thank you again!

williamwithaker
2nd Dec 2013, 22:18
Hey Guys, been a couple of weeks ago for the interviews and waiting for a response.

Everything went well except polygraph. After talking for 2 hours in which this guy made me YES/NO questions, like 5 times where I was telling the truth as I don't have anything to hide finally sit on the machine.

Asked me if I was related to drugs and blah blah, which I'm not and I have never tried any kind of drug in my entire life. Told him "NO" several times and finally let me go.

factor-x
2nd Dec 2013, 22:28
Ex-Brazilian, you're welcome my friend. And yes, they hired me. I'm undergoing the training to fly the B737-NG.

Thanks factor-x!

I didn't make my ICAO English test yet, so I will apply my CV to the website only in the next 15 days!

You work at COPA??

Thank you again!

williamwithaker
4th Dec 2013, 18:49
Hey factor-x, could you tell me when did you do the interviews and how long did they take from interviews to invitation email to civil aviation tests?

Thanks!

Ex-Brazilian
4th Dec 2013, 19:19
williamwithaker

A friend of mine who flew with COPA tells me that COPA had some major problems with pilots from Argentina in the past, don't remember why...

Somehow, it seems that they don't like argentinian's.

I really hope that is not the case!!

When did you have applied?? How much time took for you from applying in the website to get an answer or invitation from COPA?

Thanks!

williamwithaker
5th Dec 2013, 08:46
Well, my opinion is opposite.

I think Argentineans are a good resource for them as most of my friends flying in my country have been interviewed by COPA. If they wouldn't like them, they wouldn't call them and hire them.

With brazilians, they have language issues. Most of them don't speak spanish well. They have B737 experience because of Gol and Webjet but speak portunhol or a very basic english.

The rest of latin america is not a good place to find a < 30 yrs with multi/jet experience, OACI >= 5. (Which is not what they require but I'm sure they appreciate).

But at the end it's a about completing their process well and not what they like or dislike.

Ex-Brazilian
5th Dec 2013, 12:12
williamwithaker

Totally agree with you!

What I said before is not my opinion. It's just what I heard from a guy who flew with COPA in the past. Maybe that "major problems" was about drugs, so, by this reason they insisted with you about drug problems.

I wish you the best of luck!

Now I will insist with my previous question! hehe

When did you have applied?? How much time took for you from applying in the website to get an answer or invitation from COPA?

Thanks!

factor-x
5th Dec 2013, 15:24
I walked into their offices on a Monday and I negotiated to have the simulator that same Wednesday, the compass test and interview on Thursday. My polygraph was the Wednesday of the following week. On the 3rd business day after I completed the polygraph they sent me an email with the good news.

Everything was smooth. I'm loving COPA.

williamwithaker
6th Dec 2013, 20:53
That sounds great!

But have to say to the rest of pprune members, it's not typical. It usually takes around 2 or 3 weeks after you do the interviews to get a result email.

I know like 10 people that have been through their process and they all have to wait the same.

PMC83
7th Dec 2013, 07:26
Dear All!!

i read almost the entire forum about Copa, and i'ld like to ask, how much are really true the voices about their way to work?!... i mean, are there so "dangerous"?!
and their salaries for f/o's are so low?!...

Mike Charlie Alpha
7th Dec 2013, 13:21
If you speak Spanish and English very well.
Why didn't you understand the polygraph?
Spanish and English are basic for you, but your writing here in Englhish is bad.
Do not judge your friends.
You can fly with them tomorrow. CRM is very important to COPA.
Problem with Argentines is fact , I do not thinking.
Your behavior here show because you were bad in the polygraph.

Scott_T
7th Dec 2013, 23:25
I can't understand why I do not get called 1000+ 737 applied twice in the last 18months and I have never heard a peep, JAA licensed

williamwithaker
9th Dec 2013, 21:44
Probably because with that experience and a JAA license they consider that it is probable that you leave the company soon.

williamwithaker
9th Dec 2013, 22:02
Did you suffer hypoxia at FL390 and got your brain affected?

- Polygraph is not a matter of understanding
- I have not judged my friends
- What is the problem with argentineans?
- Which behavior are you referring to?
- What about your english?

appmode
12th Dec 2013, 07:07
I heard that the "problem" with pilots from Argentina was the same of pilots from Brazil : many pilots got hired in the past and then left few time later!
Now probably it has changed a little cos they re hiring Brazilians and Argentinians!
Just a personal opinion: Portunhol is not a issue, portuguese speakers are able to communicate in spanish after 2 or 3 months!

Fly safe guys!

Sina320
17th Dec 2013, 17:36
Hey guys,

Any current Copa pilots in here who's willing to give out an e-mail address or telephone number for the HR department? A friend of a friend at Copa gave me Kaze's e-mail address but i'm not sure if he's still over there...

2200 TT, 500 Jet (U.S regional), and desperately need to get on with Copa :(

I know the company isn't perfect, I know the salary is close to the poverty wage we make here in the States but for what I want to do in the future, Copa seems to be one of the better options.

Thanks a bunch,

Sina

Ex-Brazilian
17th Dec 2013, 19:23
Sina320

Try to apply your CV and details at the COPA website.

https://www.nuestrohub.com/psp/ps8hrprd/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/ROLE_APPLICANT.HP_RYS_BYPASS.GBL?FolderPath=PORTAL_ROOT_OBJE CT.HP_RIS_BYPASS_GBL&IsFolder=false&IgnoreParamTempl=FolderPath%2cIsFolder&languageCd=ENG

Best of luck.

Sina320
17th Dec 2013, 19:50
Thanks for the reply

I actually did that over a month and half ago but haven't heard anything, yet.

josesilvajs
25th Dec 2013, 17:40
How abou upgrades? A F/O getting in the company today with around 4.000h total time (2.000h jet time) will be seating at the right seat for how long until getting his chance to jump ober the throttles and seating at the left seat?

Even though the salary for a F/O is low, that's something to consider since Captain's salary is not that bad (compared to other places where salaries are better but life cost is rising rapidly).

Talking about life cost, for those who have been there, how much left at your pockets after paying all life cost there (rent, car fuel, grossery, etc), considering F/O sallary?

Thanks and fly safe!!

factor-x
25th Dec 2013, 20:40
Hi,

FO's make $56 x hour. Max hours you can fly is 100 per month. So that's $5,600.

Substract government taxes and union payments and you are left with aprox. USD $5,000

Substract mortgage payment for a new apartment in a good area of the city. $5,000 - $1,000 (the $1,000 mortgage will get you a nice apartment) -- $5,000 - $1,000 mortage = $4,000 // my mortgage is $700 for a 2 bedroom apartment, good neighborhood downtown.

$4,000 - $600 car note payment (this will get you a really fancy car too) = $3,400 // my car payment is $350 + $40 insurance

$3,400 - $1000 for groceries, personal items, utilities, haircuts, etc = $2,400

$2,400 - $400 on gasoline (this will vary depending on driving habits and cars fuel consumption) = $2000

$2,000 - $60 for medical insurance = $1,940

Anyways PM me for questions...

josesilvajs
25th Dec 2013, 22:00
Great man! Thanks a lot! PM coming soon.

Where are you from? US?

Check Airman
25th Dec 2013, 22:36
Thanks for that breakdown!

factor-x
27th Dec 2013, 17:52
Time spent on the right seat before being upgraded to captain depends. In the case of Panamanians that are hired with 250 hours straight out of flight school the time to command is 5 years.

You would have to ask them directly how they would account for SIC time or right seat jet time earned at another airline.

I've heard... and once again "I've heard"... that minimum hours to be eligible for upgrade is 4000 hours riding their jets.

Ex-Brazilian
28th Dec 2013, 22:55
And how about per diems? days off?

ralphperea
29th Dec 2013, 18:14
Greetings everyone,

I was wondering if they ever hire at the minimums they post on there website?

"Foreign pilots FO

Minimum age: 21.
Minimum operational experience: 1,000 flight hours as a pilot.
Single-engine, multi-engine and instruments commercial license.
English level 4 (ICAO)" Work at Copa Airlines as a First Officer, First Officers Requirements ? copa.com (http://www.copaair.com/sites/cc/en/acerca-de-copa-airlines/pages/recursos-humanos-primer-oficial.aspx)

Thanks

factor-x
29th Dec 2013, 23:55
The COPA hiring minimums are real. The hiring boom started back in 2006. I personally have many friends (both Panamanian and foreign nationals) that were hired with the minimum hours and the minimum age. Most Started flying for COPA at age 21, at age 26 got upgraded to Captain.

7Q Off
30th Dec 2013, 00:41
Any idea how much it takes for a NG Rated captain from day 1 until his final line check?

Tks

ralphperea
30th Dec 2013, 16:33
Do you know if they want ATP written done before submitting an application? I dont speak very much Spanish, do they care? I have just over 1000hrs and 150 multi.

Thanks
Ralph

williamwithaker
4th Jan 2014, 11:59
just apply, there are many Americans flying. I would say that biggest drawback with Americans and Europeans is they will probably leave the company for going back flying home. The less opportunities you got at your home base, the more interested COPA will be on you.

I went to panama a month ago, still waiting for an answer from HR. I know that Panamanians and a foreign guy who was type rated on 737 got hired; two other foreigners got rejected.

Do anyone know if that's a standard procedure? Starting with locals and type rated people? Makes sense but wondering why the would take so long to answer me back.

liftmaster
5th Jan 2014, 02:41
It took me 8 months from the time I got to Panama to get line qualified. There is at least 2 weeks of paper work before you start class.

7Q Off
5th Jan 2014, 03:01
Liftmaster: you where NG rated? I am interested to know how much time it takes for a rated guy. Tks in advance.

ralphperea
5th Jan 2014, 11:25
Do they compensate you during this 8 months while all this stuff is going on?

Check Airman
7th Jan 2014, 04:14
8 months to complete training?!?!

What on earth takes so long? Would appreciate a rundown of the training process.

pepes
7th Jan 2014, 21:40
Hello guys,

I've only one question.. Could you please describe the screening process for each day?
I will appreciate any suggestion based on your experience.

Thank you

williamwithaker
8th Jan 2014, 21:03
What about HR Response time since interviews? It's been more than a month since I got my screening and haven't heard from them yet.

Some of my friends had news back 15 days after process was finished, some of them took 2 months.

Any clue? It's kinda weird.

pilot5
9th Jan 2014, 08:46
Any info on what questions they ask you on the interview? Or a gouge?

liftmaster
9th Jan 2014, 15:59
I was rated, but not current. The training training is the same regardless.

liftmaster
9th Jan 2014, 19:46
For those of you with specific questions, PM me and I will do my best to answer them. I do have some specific information regarding some questions.

Ex-Brazilian
10th Jan 2014, 18:40
Ok guys, I applied my CV to the website. 1100TT, 900hrs on E190, ICAO 4.

What is the next step?

How much time it takes?

chuleyes
17th Jan 2014, 05:01
Hello. VERY frustrated with the website. First I register with Chrome, just to realize I should have done with Explorer. Then I do the WHOLE thing again, only to reach the end and find out that it was not processed because the login is already in use (no kidding !). So, could someone PM me the Chief Pilot's e-mail so I can forward all my documents. Unfortunately HR has been less than helpful through e-mails.

fpuentegomez
20th Jan 2014, 18:23
hi all,

can anybody who has applied in the past and got the call back say how long it took? I'm reaching 1 year without hearing anything from COPA...

regards to all

Discrhythmia
22nd Jan 2014, 13:54
Sorry for the newbie question-

Middle of life career change and now on the long winding road of becoming a career pilot.

What is the minimum TT that COPA would entertain a foreign FO? Is the 1000hrs hard and fast or is there some room to maneuver?

My wife and I are able and willing to relocate/live anywhere and we have spent a lot of time in Argentina (she speaks Spanish and I know enough to order food).

If anyone is currently working for COPA who could provide some further information, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Zenith111
28th Jan 2014, 15:50
Hi all,

Would anyone browsing be able to share any Captain's salary information at COPA? I heard the salaries had changed relatively recently. It would be a great help. Thanks.

Z

Ex-Brazilian
29th Jan 2014, 17:53
Two days after I applied to the website they made a contact with me by email, asking for documents.

On 27/01 I sent all the required documents... and I'm waiting for a response right now... some guys told me that it could take around 1 or 2 months for a new contact inviting for an interview.

I'm just above the minimuns... 1100TT and ICAO 4.

Anyone can confirm if they continue to make an skype interview, for a kind of spanish language proficiency test??

Best of luck to all.

highflight55
29th Jan 2014, 21:08
Only 1 1/2 years later it is much much worse! There are a few really good guys here, but that's it. Cannot wait to get out!! I would not recommend Copa until they get their s^%$^% fixed!

ralphperea
30th Jan 2014, 01:30
I'm in the same boat. I sent my docs in last week. He just replied saying they received everything. If I here back about any interview I'll let you know. If you could return the offer as well it would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

chuleyes
30th Jan 2014, 01:32
Highflight 55: Can you be a bit more specific on what is going on there ? Thanks.

jklm05
4th Feb 2014, 12:31
applied as well. got the email to send docs. will be sending those in soon. then any idea how long the wait is? and what the next step in the process is? anyone have feedback, pls post here or PM. thanks

Ex-Brazilian
4th Feb 2014, 12:35
I'm waiting for about 10 days so far...

Some guys told me that they waited for a month or two, until get an invitation for the interview in Panama.

Best Regards

jklm05
4th Feb 2014, 12:36
Ex-Brazilian. please check your PM.

fireball_23
4th Feb 2014, 15:50
They have to check your documents first, and they will then send you an invitation. It takes between 3 weeks and 2 months.

jklm05
4th Feb 2014, 16:12
thanks! are you already flying for Copa Airlines?
also, is there any way to expedite this by maybe talking to your local CAA to confirm authenticity of the documents back to Panamanian CAA? do they send the documents for verification to your licensing country's CAA?

ralphperea
4th Feb 2014, 16:53
I'm just curious about the interview questions? If anyone has any pointers or what one can expect. I would like to focus my studying to match what they are looking for.

Thanks, it would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

fireball_23
4th Feb 2014, 17:20
No not flying yet ! I'm waiting for the results ;)

@jklm05 : I'm sorry, I have absolutely no idea ! I believe they are taking care of all the verification, and they will ask you further informations if they need.

@ralphperea : You should check on " latest pilot jobs ", this will be very helpful for the selection process. Basically, during the interview, they go through your documents, ask you basic questions and a captain will make up a scenario with a couple of questions. :ok:

About the sim session, you should expect " Guatemala " or " El Salvador ". SID, VOR tracking, Holding, DME ARC + ILS/VOR APP to a missed app, then ILS to a full stop. You will also find those informations on " latest pilot jobs ".

Good look my friends :)

ralphperea
6th Feb 2014, 18:57
Does anyone know if you are selected for a position how long does it take to start training? How long does training take? an old post said 8 months I feel that is a long time. Next, During that training period does your family move down with you or are you living in an apartment/hotel that they provide with other people in training?

Thanks
Ralph

jklm05
7th Feb 2014, 06:44
Thanks fireball. So can u pls share your experience? Like wen did u apply and wen did u visit Panama for the interview?
Ralph those are all important questions. Pls do PM me if u get answers to them via a PM. Thanks

oagzz
13th Feb 2014, 21:00
The training is going to take 6 to 8 months. The later being the normal. It doesn't matter what your previous experience was.
You have to have a lot of patients. It is long, frustrating at times and they put a lot of pressure on you.
Please do not bring your families until you have completed the entire training. That is until you pass your government airplane check ride at the end of you IOE. I have seen a Lot of people sing apartment leases buy furniture, autos only to get busted either in the simulator or in the airplane.
Never ever argue with the instructors either in ground school in the simulator and especially in the airplane. That's the best way to get busted. And they all have there own way on how it should be done. Don't argue JUST DO IT and keep your mouth shut.

oagzz
13th Feb 2014, 21:18
Training takes from 6 months to 8. The later being the normal. It is long frustrating at times and they put a lot of pressure on you. You share
an apartment with another guy. After you sim ride you have 30 days to find you own place. However you IOE could take 1 to 2 months more.
But please don't bring your families until you have passed your government check ride at the end of your IOE. NOW YOU ARE HIRED.
I have seen a lot of guys bring their families, sing apartment leases, buy autos, furniture and get busted at the blast check ride.
Do not argue with the instructors, not in ground school, not in the sim, and never in the airplane. They don't like that and you will be on your way home.
Every instructor has his way on how it should be done. Just shut up and do it.

ftechpilot
15th Feb 2014, 16:52
I know it seems to be hard enough to get an initial interview with copa. Is there any chance they would consider you for a re-intervew like they say after 6 months?

oagzz
17th Feb 2014, 02:17
Probably as long as you meet the qualifications.
COPA is hurting for pilots badly. Low pay, long hours, the schedule is not friendly for those that want to commute.

I have been here for a year and a half.

oagzz
17th Feb 2014, 18:07
Hey jeff_coe4 I am trying to reply to you but google keeps telling me that it can't deliver to your email.
If you have another email pm me or post your questions here.

ralphperea
18th Feb 2014, 18:12
Just curious if anyone knows how long after your initial interview do you have to wait to hear anything back?

I just interviewed for FO position last week. If you were in the interviewing group please send me a PM

Thanks

fireball_23
21st Feb 2014, 14:32
You'll have to wait between 1 and 3 weeks. We got the reply in 7 or 8 days !

Gustavo_CDT
21st Feb 2014, 17:04
I had a contact with one recruiter last year, a few weeks ago I sent her all the required documents with no answer, I believe she is not there anymore. If anyone could PM me another recruiter's email I'll appreciate it. I am flying B767, but it's not easy to get in touch with COPA.

factor-x
24th Feb 2014, 04:38
Just got the "Copilot - 737" rating added to my license. Now straight to IOE!

ralphperea
27th Feb 2014, 05:14
Good job on your hard work Factor-X. I just finished my AAC psychological test yesterday. Everything with Copa has excited my expectations, so far. I normally have to wait 7-9 days for a reply for the next step in the process. The HR employees are helpful and willing to give you advice. All of the pilots and employees that I have met are very nice and friendly. The website to apply is difficult but just make sure you do everything correct. They will contact you if they want to.

Cheers-Good luck to everyone.

JetSyndrome30
2nd Mar 2014, 19:55
Will it behoove a Copa Airline pilot applicant doing his FAA ATP before applying?

factor-x
4th Mar 2014, 02:43
Yes, you wanna get that. You still have to convert that here. But the Panama ATP exam is a copy of the FAA ATP. You get paid more if you have the ATPL

JetSyndrome30
4th Mar 2014, 12:43
Thanks for replying factor-x, does the conversion process involve retaking the written and the practical test? Will it be more convenient to just take the Panamanian ATP instead?

factor-x
4th Mar 2014, 19:02
My brother,

Yes, you are correct. It involves retaking an exact copy of the FAA ATPL written test down here. And you have to fly 3-4 hours in a Cessna 172.

The decision is really up to you as to how you will approach this. What I would do is get my ATPL up there, and then just convert down here.

Ex-Brazilian
4th Mar 2014, 20:34
factor-x, check your PM!

JetSyndrome30
5th Mar 2014, 02:12
All right. Thanks. Is it a process you do on your own or does Copa assist you in setting up/paying for the exam?
By the way, Congrats on the type rating! Does the entire process from interviewing to flying the line really takes 8 months as another member stated?

Expat737
18th Mar 2014, 23:54
It does take 8 months right now because of a lack of instructors. Add that to the fact that you'll change instructors all during IOE. A friend of mine had 9 during his training from start to finish.

JetSyndrome30
19th Mar 2014, 16:03
Thanks. Where does the certificate conversion take place in the hiring process. I am a CFI, so during those 9 months would it be possible to Flight Instruct? In that 9-month process, I am assuming there are days and possibly weeks when you are doing nothing.

Sherwood Fox
3rd Apr 2014, 20:48
Hi all, I just applied last week thru the web, I'm applying for F/O, 4200 TT, A320 and E190 f/o time. Has anybody heard anything lately?

Crazypilot34
16th Apr 2014, 22:13
Hi everybody!

I finally finished those 17 long pages :bored: and I still have a few questions... :E Sooorry ;)

I am currently flying in europe as FO on small jets. I've been doing that for 7 years now but there is no possible evolution here, or maybe in 10 years. I am a bit more ambitious! So i’m done with that now, I am trying to jump on the big busses, but as you surely know finding something here without funding his own TR and a 500h Line Training is almost impossible... :ugh: That’s why I wouldn’t mind getting some experience for a few years with copa, even if I read all your advices to stay clear of this airline! ;)

I applied online a few months ago and I’ve just received their famous email with the pdf file and all the beautiful pictures ;) I am going to send them everything un a few days.

Do you guys know if all the people that received this email have been invited to the interviews?
A question for JAR licences holders, did you managed to get your TR on your JAR licence when going back in your country?
I never heard of a no accident/incident report here in my country. I read a few things on how to have something on this thread but that was for US, any advice for me?

Thank you guys!
;)

otlop
21st Apr 2014, 14:06
Hello Crazypilot34!

I received the famous e-mail in mid-February and sent all the documents requested, but for the moment, no news...
Does it happened to someone else recently?

Crazypilot34
25th Apr 2014, 11:29
Ok thanks. Still no news for me neither...

captainbbj
26th Apr 2014, 18:31
For information

I passed interview last week

They need pilot with type rating first

Company training long as 6 to 8 month

I have been offered job direct entry Captain

For first officer, huge need, but training is difficult

Cheers

Jumbo744
27th Apr 2014, 12:43
Hi Captainbbj,

thanks for the info...

Can you please confirm that even for F/Os they prefer pilots with a Type Rating already?

I have applied 3 weeks ago, 1700htt, 1500h Multi-Turboprop, I know my chances are slim....

Gustavo_CDT
27th Apr 2014, 14:30
Just finished my interview last thursday, and I got the positive reply last night. The need for FO is huge, most of the candidates had no jet time.

My reply was the fastest I have ever heard of, so the need is really big. Not type rated, and it's not required at all. Good luck.

Jumbo744
28th Apr 2014, 08:18
Hi Gustavo,

Congratulations ! How long did it take for you to get contacted by copa after you sent your online application?

fireball_23
29th Apr 2014, 07:12
There are no rules regarding the replies. Got mine in 10 days, one friend of mine got his in 2 months. And we did the screening process the same day.

Ground training is tough. For the ones with no jet exp, you will have to go through the bridge course. ( around 2 weeks ), then starts the ground part, either on Boeing or Embraer.

Wish you the best :ok:

Crazypilot34
29th Apr 2014, 10:36
Congratulations to all! ;) Same question, how long did it take between the time you send back your documents and the call?

Thanks guys

Jumbo744
29th Apr 2014, 18:03
Thanks for the info!

BCMG CAVOK
2nd May 2014, 12:31
sent my application and after two weeks I received the email asking for info, few days later they contacted my references...

anyone has been or is in my situation? what is next?

thank you!

Jumbo744
2nd May 2014, 12:46
Contrats !!

May I ask what is jour experience? Do you have any jet time?

Thanks!

ArmApp
2nd May 2014, 16:25
What about actual T&C for FOs, no experience on jet?

sadrojer
4th May 2014, 00:24
Hi PPPruNers! My first post)
How is the medical in Panama? Is it really different from the FAA? Here in the US I've got the first class, but I've had an eye surgery. I heard in other countries it may not work. Please advice

Expat737
6th May 2014, 15:44
Eye surgery won't be an issue. I know guys that have had it here. The eye test is the exact same as the US.

The only medical differences are they can ask you to repeat ANY of the original issuance exams (full blood work, pulmonary x rays, etc) Its basically what kind of mood the AAC woman is in when you go the gov't office. She looks at the paper and checks off what you need to have done.

You have to love the chaos to come down here.

sadrojer
6th May 2014, 17:16
Thanks for the great news, Expat737!
I'll give it a try in a couple of months when i finish my FAA ATP in states.
The rest of the medical should not be a problem. In the place I'm from the chaos is the routine thing)

N434
10th May 2014, 10:21
Hi everyone

Most probably I'll have the interview next month and I've got no clue where to start to prepare it...is ACE a good tool?.

Other than this, I've seen they sell the prep. package at latestpilotjobs.com but no so sure how good that is...any help there?.

Thanks in advance

Happy landings

jetmadness
11th May 2014, 01:07
Please be aware that what i am about to tell you is my opinion only, even though to some of you it might sound negative, so do not come and argue!

The time of the initial email and the interview invite was about two months....got there with a smooth flight,good hotel good transport and very nice people and they make you feel comfortable and welcome.

Started day 1 with the Compass,interview,blood/lie detector.
Started Day 2 with the psych test and later on the sim

I studied way to much for the whole process which is good....the only thing i think you should study or at least i would say is latestpilotjobs package....its really good and well worth the money. During my test i realized what i practiced on latestpilotjobs was even harder!

Compass was really do-able, all of us had the feeling they did really well.
Interview: The 3 person board made me feel really comfortable,no stress no tricks. Though they did ask some strange questions like; how old are you? While they were all looking at my cv....

Blood and lie were easy though the wait for us at least was very long.

Day 2. In the morning we did the psych test which is just a 200 question multiple choice questionnaire.

Then we arrived at the simulator building, i soon realized it was the typical 'south American aviation' atmosphere which i am used to....meaning all the CA crew almost bowing for pilots and FO's for Captains....i been flying in this region for a while now so i know. Only the Captains had to the ''advanced Compass test'' for example and an English test.

In our group was one very experienced (rated) NG Captain with over 17000hrs Jet(!!) and 7000hrs 737...he was taken to the EMB 190 sim....i was actually looking forward to the sim until after hours of waiting they put me in the seat of a Frasca sim.....unbelievable...though not a big problem we all did not get why we had to do flight school stuff again....all Single Pilot stuff like Holdings,DME ARC's etc etc. Almost all of us had not done such an operation for a long time. Many of us including myself are flying Jets or big Turbo props and are used to a MCC/CRM culture.
Though the sim was really difficult i had a good feeling some of the others did to and some of them did not.

We then all went home and were told that within two weeks we would get the result.After two weeks there was nothing, then after 3 weeks myself and one other guy got the negative email. No explanation just that i did not fit the position. Up to this day not one of us 7 guys made it, all of us with good experience. I have no idea what COPA is looking for or what they did not like about ALL of us. Somebody here said a few posts above that they need people with ratings first, that is none sense, EVERYBODY has to the WHOLE Groundschool/TR over!!! Another reason why i think many experienced rated FO's and CPT's say no to the 8-9 month ground school process,bear in mind they actually told us that we were not supposed to go home in that period even if we had sufficient time off, even though we all lived close to panama with Copa serving daily none stop flights.

For all you guys that are going, please do not worry about the Compass, the latestpilotjob is enough. ACE,FAA ATP etc etc etc did not help a tiny bit. The written portion in the compass test was btw only jet stuff...like what is bleed air used for? Maybe for that portion ACE will do you good. Differential thrust/thrust reversers etc etc.If you can try to get some time in a Frasca sim....and fly like an IR check ride a few times!

If you have any more questions or anything please message me.

Good luck.

Crazypilot34
13th May 2014, 21:36
Really?! Not a single clue? :bored: Did you all asked for commuting?

Anyway thanks for your feedback jetmadness! helpful!

CATSANDOGS
14th May 2014, 20:51
Hi,
Just call your FOCA or whatever their name is in your country. Everybody in JAA has this. Costs a little fee.

A320 Driver
17th May 2014, 04:48
Please be aware that what i am about to tell you is my opinion only, even though to some of you it might sound negative, so do not come and argue!

The time of the initial email and the interview invite was about two months....got there with a smooth flight,good hotel good transport and very nice people and they make you feel comfortable and welcome.

Started day 1 with the Compass,interview,blood/lie detector.
Started Day 2 with the psych test and later on the sim

I studied way to much for the whole process which is good....the only thing i think you should study or at least i would say is latestpilotjobs package....its really good and well worth the money. During my test i realized what i practiced on latestpilotjobs was even harder!

Compass was really do-able, all of us had the feeling they did really well.
Interview: The 3 person board made me feel really comfortable,no stress no tricks. Though they did ask some strange questions like; how old are you? While they were all looking at my cv....

Blood and lie were easy though the wait for us at least was very long.

Day 2. In the morning we did the psych test which is just a 200 question multiple choice questionnaire.

Then we arrived at the simulator building, i soon realized it was the typical 'south American aviation' atmosphere which i am used to....meaning all the CA crew almost bowing for pilots and FO's for Captains....i been flying in this region for a while now so i know. Only the Captains had to the ''advanced Compass test'' for example and an English test.

In our group was one very experienced (rated) NG Captain with over 17000hrs Jet(!!) and 7000hrs 737...he was taken to the EMB 190 sim....i was actually looking forward to the sim until after hours of waiting they put me in the seat of a Frasca sim.....unbelievable...though not a big problem we all did not get why we had to do flight school stuff again....all Single Pilot stuff like Holdings,DME ARC's etc etc. Almost all of us had not done such an operation for a long time. Many of us including myself are flying Jets or big Turbo props and are used to a MCC/CRM culture.
Though the sim was really difficult i had a good feeling some of the others did to and some of them did not.

We then all went home and were told that within two weeks we would get the result.After two weeks there was nothing, then after 3 weeks myself and one other guy got the negative email. No explanation just that i did not fit the position. Up to this day not one of us 7 guys made it, all of us with good experience. I have no idea what COPA is looking for or what they did not like about ALL of us. Somebody here said a few posts above that they need people with ratings first, that is none sense, EVERYBODY has to the WHOLE Groundschool/TR over!!! Another reason why i think many experienced rated FO's and CPT's say no to the 8-9 month ground school process,bear in mind they actually told us that we were not supposed to go home in that period even if we had sufficient time off, even though we all lived close to panama with Copa serving daily none stop flights.

For all you guys that are going, please do not worry about the Compass, the latestpilotjob is enough. ACE,FAA ATP etc etc etc did not help a tiny bit. The written portion in the compass test was btw only jet stuff...like what is bleed air used for? Maybe for that portion ACE will do you good. Differential thrust/thrust reversers etc etc.If you can try to get some time in a Frasca sim....and fly like an IR check ride a few times!

If you have any more questions or anything please message me.

Good luck.

Same as me and some friends. Rated on AT72 and A320, +2000TT, the compass was easy, interview with few question and no tricks. English/Spanish speaker. Simulator Instructor said I did it well. After 3 months we received the negative. I really don't know what they are looking for. I wan't to leave my country ASAP, but I'll need to wait...

Gusz
19th May 2014, 23:16
Any of the middle eastern carriers will pick you up, especially with a 320 type. Good luck!

hetmoon
22nd May 2014, 07:26
Hi Guys,
One question. On the list of required documents you have to attach to the application there is "US Visa".
What type of visa they require? Green card, travel visa, student visa...etc...or just the one that allow you to enter Panama?

Thx

Aviadorbrasil
1st Jun 2014, 01:22
Myy friends.
Good night..

I was invited for an interview... After sent the documents,how many days recruiters will contact me again to another informations and about the travel to panama?

Someone is going this month?
Im so anxious about that,and trying to study everrything to do my best...

Thanks and good luck for everyone :ok:

N434
2nd Jun 2014, 16:01
I'm going this month as well. After I sent the documents it took 3/4 days before I got the e-mail with the screening dates.

Aviadorbrasil
2nd Jun 2014, 17:49
Someone used Skytest?
Its enough to study it for compass?

About aviation questios, performance, balnce, theory, whant kind are these ones on test?

lokito50
5th Jun 2014, 10:44
If you have a passport from a country that doesnt require a visa to fly into the usa then youre good. I see youre in europe my guess is your passport should be good. For example im in canada so if i were to apply, my visa is pretty much my canadian passport since i can enter the us multiple times.
I hope this helps.

zondaracer
5th Jun 2014, 12:25
Visa Waiver Program does not apply for airline crews.

Visa Waiver Program | Consulate General of the United States Amsterdam, The Netherlands (http://amsterdam.usconsulate.gov/mobile//visa_waiver_program2.html)

Visas are always required for airline crew members, crew members of commercial, private or maritime vessels

AviatorJack
10th Jun 2014, 01:00
Hi guys,

Applied for Copa multiple times but never received anything until this evening. Received an email asking if I am still interested in the application process and to update my details. Anyone else receive the same email?

Cheers

Sherwood Fox
10th Jun 2014, 05:48
I just got the e-mail as well, it was sent based on an application I filled about a year ago, now I need to gather the docs and reply as soon as possible. Hopefully they are indeed looking for FO's right now.

AviatorJack
11th Jun 2014, 17:28
Doing the same here. Actually quite happy they are calling back past applicants than going for new ones. I never received anything from them, well apart from now.....

Human Cargo
11th Jun 2014, 20:07
Hi Oagzz

Would you please check your PM's and reply at your convenience.

Thanks
H.C.

PlanetEarth
12th Jun 2014, 21:43
Are there any European citizens who applied for this job?
I've sent in most of my documents, but they still require a USA visa.

Can you even get a us air crew visa without being currently employed as air crew?

PlanetEarth
20th Jun 2014, 02:58
guess no one knows :(

carib90
26th Jun 2014, 19:16
I am an EU citizen and I have a crew visa. However, I had to get a letter from my company before getting it. You can try taking Copa's document requirements to the embassy to show them why you need a crew visa. Give your closest american embassy a call!

AviatorJack
27th Jun 2014, 16:51
Same here, I am a EU cit with an FAA ATPL. I have the US crew visas as recently an old colleague/friend of mine might be needing me to accompany him on some ferry trips so I had to get the crew visa sorted. You need a letter from an employer stating the reason why you need the visa.

I'm hoping that might boost my chances a little; as its a 10 year visa and it's one less thing for Copa to worry about.

Concerning the accident report. As I am aware the FAA don't issue such things, anyone else come across this hurdle?

aircowboy
30th Jun 2014, 08:24
Hi,

anyone know how long is the instrcution for a new joiner with 737 type rating and hours on type?

Thanks

icepilot4848
1st Jul 2014, 18:39
I am an american citizen and I had to take the lie detector. It's not that big of a deal, they only ask you about 4 or 5 questions, reworded several different ways. It is basically, have you ever been involved with the trafficking of drugs. Have you used illegal drugs in the last 5 years. Have you ever transported drugs. Something along those lines.

As a side note.......I wouldn't recommend working here anyways. Worst place I have ever flown. Has a lot of potential, but falls WAY short!!!

icepilot4848
1st Jul 2014, 19:03
Lionman......in response to your question. I have been here 2 years and will take the first semi decent offer I get to get out of this place. Although the people at work aren't too bad to work with, the Panamanians in general are some of, no, not some of, they are the most rude people I have ever been around. For such a beautiful country, it is filled with people of the lowest caliber. Amazing since Costa Rica, and Columbia (neighbors to the north and south) are such nice people. As far as working at Copa, do yourself a favor and look elsewhere. Worst training event I have ever been through. very few benefits whatsoever, and whoever mentioned the housing allowance, yeah, they aren't doing that anymore.

I will say, with the route structure they have, if you are a single guy with no family, it is a good opportunity to see some great places.

pilotede320
3rd Jul 2014, 00:36
COPA is a very good airline that will soon be great! I did the interviews a few months ago and was very impressed by the morale of the employees i met. I was very impressed with the interview process. Even the AAC psych test was fine.

I have now been offered five different course dates and have had to pass on all of them. I am no special pilot either...no 737 time, 15,000 hours with air canada but only 5,000 pic, couple three year degrees, have lived in south america, used to speak french, portuguese and spanish...long since unused and forgotten. More significantly...I am 59 years old!!! Why hire me?

I can only say that if you are determined to get on with COPA and persist, you will likely get the nod. They need pink bodies with pilot licenses. Huge growth planned with mucho aircraft on order.

If you are a non-panamanian be aware that training could take up to nine months to get your visa and be released to the line. That's a long time away from home and sharing an apartment with your course mate. (then only seven non consecutive days off per month...so no commuting) Too long for me. I have a pension and content to let the young folks take my course slot. Perhaps when its minus 40 degrees next winter ill regret my decision.

As far as panamanians go...i find them wonderful people...just like people anywhere, some worse, some better, but no different from me or anyone else.

Gustavo_CDT
3rd Jul 2014, 03:24
I am now just finishing ground school here. I have to say the whole process until now was perfect, very challenging, very demanding, but they try their best to make your life easier. Now Sim and IOE will take some time, very long training because the lack of instructors.

Copa has good and bad things, like all airlines do.

About the screening, well I'm still trying to figure out what profile they are looking for. I think the psicological profile test and the interview are a big deal to them, more than people think. I have friends who I thought would pass, and did not. The truth is that Copa needs a lot of pilots not just because the expansion, but because trained and experienced line pilots are leaving looking for money.

The crew Visa will be done by Copa, you will receive in Panama all the instructions. And if you do not require a Visa to enter the USA as tourist, let's say EU passport, you do not need a Visa of any kind to apply.

PlanetEarth
3rd Jul 2014, 07:51
Hm. They seem to be adamant that I need a B1/B2 visa, even when my country is definitely part of the visa waiver program.

PlanetEarth
3rd Jul 2014, 12:03
Does anyone know if it's actually possible to get a business visa like this without business in the USA?

AviatorJack
3rd Jul 2014, 19:38
Did they email you asking specifically for one?

Like I said above you need a letter from an employer (or anyone) to justify you needing one, the US embassy should (I say should, its still their choice) then issue you one if you need it.

Scott_T
5th Jul 2014, 12:05
Couple of questions, I am rated with over 1k on type 737, how long would training take if i got in? for the lie detector test, what do they ask and why do they do this? what is the pay like? I am european applied two years ago and last year heard nothing will try again.

JS32
7th Jul 2014, 20:04
Are you spanish speaker?

Scott_T
8th Jul 2014, 10:09
very basic spanish

oagzz
9th Jul 2014, 03:18
for your information. In regards to the pay, this is one of the lowest paying companies. that's why they don't post the salaries on there advertisements.
Take home pay for captain is 5800.00 dollars to this you add flight hours over 66. For an FO it's about 3500.00 plus hours.
The'll tell you about a bonus that is paid in march of the following year. It's been about 8000 dollars for captains pre tax, less for FO's. What they don't tell you is that they will chip away from the bonus for several things like being sick for more that 7 days in the year or doing poorly on your training and other things they don't tell us. Three clowns called chief pilots decided who gets what amount of bonus. you guys are in for a surprise in regards to the pay system here.

oagzz
9th Jul 2014, 03:39
keep it to your self.

alloverthesky87
9th Jul 2014, 09:52
Hi fellows,

I have just received an email asking to forward all my documents for an assessment within few weeks.

I am currently employed on heavy turboprop with a good salary.

Here comes the question. Proceed for jet and make the effort for few years.

But I would like to know about the whole process of training, how long it is going to last?
How long is the upgrade for left seat? Only for local?

Thank you men for your replies.

Cheers.

AgentDenzel
12th Jul 2014, 07:31
6500 TT 2000 PIC JET spanish speaking with US Passport and COL Passport...only thing I don't have is time on aircraft more than 50 seats....all my time is on super mid-size corporate Jets.....

Hogg
16th Jul 2014, 13:20
@ Scott

I went for DEC and hopped thru the hoops. The Lie Detector is about 6 or 7 questions, wired up and stare at a wall. Questions mainly about drugs/smuggling and any previous criminal convictions.
The pay wasnt enough for me to relocate then but might go for it again. Circumstances changed. Full NG course regardless of type rating. About 3 months!

Garba51
19th Jul 2014, 20:06
Hi everybody,

Going for an interview next week. However, I've got a question, how is the medical (I mean the real Class 1 medical not the interview one) done overthere? I can't find any info on this one. I'm colour blinded with no restriction on my EASA Class 1 but I don't know whether it is possible or not to fly there with a colour blindness.

Good luck to those going there or waiting!

Garba

AviatorJack
19th Jul 2014, 22:30
Garba,

When did you send off the documents and when did you receive the date? Just curious.........

Garba51
20th Jul 2014, 10:16
Hi Jack,

Applied in may and got the invite 2 weeks ago. What about you?

G

AviatorJack
20th Jul 2014, 15:16
Got the email in June requesting documents then sent them off roughly a week or two later. No news yet.

Garba51
20th Jul 2014, 17:19
Nothing to worry about I guess. It took a while from the first website application to the doc request. However, it took a week roughly from sending all documents to get the invite. What are your qualification?

AviatorJack
21st Jul 2014, 02:48
Well I'm holding on, maybe they might contact. Different to what other gripers post on here..... I've worked at a lot worse for less pay, I'm not expecting a 5 star holiday camp, just a job that pays. Not flying at the moment so this would be a definite upgrade.

3000TT Contract work across the African continent, no types

ParisFlyer
21st Jul 2014, 13:30
Aviatorjack,

I also received the invitation to join the selection process beginning of July and sent the requested documentation a couple of days later. Still not heard anything back regarding an interview date. Also 3000TT and also contract experience in Africa.

Let me know if you hear anything! :ok:

AviatorJack
21st Jul 2014, 17:01
Will do the same here, might give an indication to the both of us ;)

Garba51
21st Jul 2014, 20:45
Don t really know what they look at for contacting people but I m sure if they need as many pilots as it appears, you will have some reply one way or the other.

Good luck guys.

Ps: still no answer about my initial question... If any one has any info on the medical class 1 there, please let me know ;)

AviatorJack
22nd Jul 2014, 15:43
I don't have a clue. I presume it may be similar to FAA standards. Maybe if no one here knows, try and find/contact an AME in Panama or contact the CAA.

oagzz
23rd Jul 2014, 02:54
The medical exam for your 1st class is identical to the FAA.
They do check you for color blindness so you may not pass the test.
You can call this doctor, I believed he is FAA AME also
Carlos Staff phone 507-227-5444 507-225-3963 cel, 507-6614-6683
Good Luck

oagzz
23rd Jul 2014, 03:00
jajajaj or hahaha depending an what part of the world you'r from.

oagzz
23rd Jul 2014, 03:06
Unless you are a US citizen you all will need visa's. But don't worry you'll be sent to the US embassy to get it while you are in training. You can not get it if you are not hired.

Garba51
23rd Jul 2014, 10:03
Thanks for the info oagzz!

Garba

Aviadorbrasil
23rd Jul 2014, 12:38
Garba, if you call to Panama and ask about colot blind ou daltonism is a problem,let us now if is really a problem or nt, cause a friend of mine has this and is little worried about it.

Thanks and good luck

Garba51
23rd Jul 2014, 16:01
so it appears they can only do a 3rd class medical with day flights only and then they send the papers to the US for other tests.

Good luck

G.

liftmaster
23rd Jul 2014, 18:04
The initial medical is much stricter than the FAA Class I. All the usual stuff, but add in EKG, blood test and brain scan. After the initial your recurrent is the same as that required by the FAA.

Garba51
23rd Jul 2014, 22:01
Thanks lifemaster,

I'm used to that as I'm doing all except the brain scan for any recurrent where I live. However, I'm more concerned about this f..ing colour blindness. I can't imagine moving there without knowing if I can get it unrestricted overthere. It appears that they request FAA Class 1 only as there reference, so I guess if I get my FAA Class 1 without restriction, it will be ok colour-wise at least.

Rgds,

G

icepilot4848
30th Jul 2014, 13:16
I will verify everything that Peter has said. Absolutely true. Can't say it was the worst decision coming here, but it's up there. Bad pay, Bad Schedules, Bad benefits, and although I don't have many problems with the flights crews per se, the Panamanian culture as a whole is about as rude and unwelcoming as they come.

At the moment they have more people leaving than coming in (due to the fantastic conditions), creating a shortage where they have canceled ALL vacations (in there words it's just reassigned to next year) through the end of the year, however, they keep trying to expand the operation. Very poor planning.

enrique757
31st Jul 2014, 17:07
Current FO on the Ng here and here's is what I can say.
New and well maintained aircraft , lots or routes for experience in your pocket.
Pay is VERY LOW as in Master Warning LOW.
Yes you have to spend money on certificates , uniform and pay to the union is mandatory by law. Vacations are being withdrawn due to the mess "lack of pilots" that scheduling makes. According to union the vacations can't be postponed unless the pilot agrees... I did not and still we're withdrawn. Training is ... Well...
Good luck

MORALES0787
4th Aug 2014, 06:05
Hey men can you help me? Im trying to figure out what i need to study for the knowledge test. Thanks men

AdrianSC
5th Aug 2014, 13:52
On July 22 I received an email requesting some documents. I sent and until the moment got no answer. Does anybody know if this is normal?
I had heard that after the submission of documents, a recruiter sent an email to say that a file was being created. it is true?

AviatorJack
5th Aug 2014, 16:36
I sent them off a month ago haven't heard anything. Apparently it does take a bit of time until you hear anything (if anything).

priest
7th Aug 2014, 07:43
@Garba 51 & others.
I guess some of you have been recently in Panama for an interview.
Can you please share with us? Give some info about the assessment and company's presentation? Number of Pilots they are looking to hire in 2014-15??? Thank you in advance!:

I applied in early July and forwarded all requested documents end of July. No response yet.

MORALES0787
10th Aug 2014, 01:51
Hello aviators!
I sended my cv and they answered in one week., im studying phak and atp and jeppesen because i really dont know which are the bases of their knowledge tests., i have my screening interview at the end of august, please if some of u allready took the tests please sheer the screening interview info and topics for study. Have good flights

AdrianSC
10th Aug 2014, 16:12
Hello aviators!
I sended my cv and they answered in one week., im studying phak and atp and jeppesen because i really dont know which are the bases of their knowledge tests., i have my screening interview at the end of august, please if some of u allready took the tests please sheer the screening interview info and topics for study. Have good flights

Could you be more specific? When you applied on the website?
When you sent the requested documents?
How long after sending the requested documents they invited you for the interview? Days, weeks?
When you sent the documents you received any email confirming the receipt?

Tanks!

MORALES0787
10th Aug 2014, 18:49
I sended my cv on july 22 july 23 they answer me, july 29 i send my documents. July 31 they send me a screening interview invitation

MORALES0787
11th Aug 2014, 05:39
Hey men can you help me and give me some advice of focus in what i need to study for the exams? Thanks

AdrianSC
11th Aug 2014, 12:57
sorry, can't help you.
I never attended a screening interview on Copa Airlines.

nosegears
11th Aug 2014, 21:04
Copa has requested my documents last week.

Does anybody know exactly what is the payment expected for FO ?

I would a full information if is posible with ours.

I'm actually Captain of Business Jet ( Citation ) in my country with good payment.

themagicman00
12th Aug 2014, 01:12
I would consider twice leaving your CAPT job for Copa. Ask around and get all thr facts straight. That said, good luck.

fireball_23
13th Aug 2014, 11:50
@MORALES0787 everything, regarding the interview process, is already explained in details previously in the other pages ;)

MORALES0787
15th Aug 2014, 18:16
Which oder pages men.
¿

chitolin
16th Aug 2014, 23:01
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-D1TpHHq05HQ/U-_iOlHpZOI/AAAAAAAAARA/JV6CG7APk1U/w963-h577-no/here.jpg

MORALES0787
18th Aug 2014, 05:03
Hey aviator can you please help me and give me some advice for the knowledge test.¿
Is supported in the atp o handbook ?
And about simulator? Thanks a lot

chitolin
19th Aug 2014, 12:56
MORALES0787,

Have you read the thread? or just the last page?
There are at least 6 very complete stories from people that have gone to the recruitment process in Panama, giving reviews about the exams and SIM evaluation.

JS32
27th Aug 2014, 02:13
Hi peeps.

Anybody received an email asking for some documents today or few days ago? If yes please private to me.

nachopilot24
9th Sep 2014, 18:31
Hello i am from Buens aires, 14 and 15 of augost was the meetings for Copa, someone knows when are calling for interviews?.
Here the requierements were: 1000 flight hours, icao 4, first medical class.

nosegears
10th Sep 2014, 16:43
Thanks for your opinion

Regards
Nosegears

Daggeruy
10th Sep 2014, 23:36
People, really don't waste time and money coming here.
At this moment you are going to be on ground aprox 6 to 8 month before to start the first line training flight, thats mean not only be grounded means survive with only 1500 usd on hand and that is not enough to have a normal life here in Panamá.
They give you an apartment but you have a few weeks after your initial trng to left it, after that you are at your own and take in mind any normal aparment in a normal neighborhood cost aprox 1000 1500 usd with nothing inside.
To buy a car all the banks give you a loan, but you need more than one year of contract, without that you are lost and the public transportation here is a mess.
The company here treats you like a slave literally, they pick up your vacations and they are protected by the country's working laws, if you have a problem you are at your own.
They give you a health insurance program, ok, but if you have any health problem and you need a surgeon before the year of contrct you are lost you need to pay 3500 usd for an emergency intervention.
If you are looking for a type rating, ok, come take it and leave this slavery company fast, if you have a work pls really dont leave it to come here,any other airline is better than this one.
Be prepared for a very bad salary ( F/O normally 3200 usd on hand), vey bad schedulle (usually night flights or 5 dayds flights wake ups 0300 am)
Everybody here is looking something better to leave.

Good luck and i really hope that this can help to someone

nachopilot24
12th Sep 2014, 02:09
I really dont what to think, here in Bs. As Tell us that if you pass the exams they contract you for 3 years with the mínimum Pay 3700, then if you obtain the panamenian licence pays you 4500?????

fireball_23
12th Sep 2014, 12:50
You get paid every month ( when you are flying ) your salary minus taxes and after a certain amount of hours, you get the per diem.
If you are applying as a F/O, and once you get hired, you have to take the Panamanian License. ( two flights in a seneca ).
After six months in the company, you can do your ATP ( depending on your hours ) and get 850$ more at the end of the month.

Ferreira
12th Sep 2014, 14:45
Hey people, do you know someone that tried again the screening interview? I got an interview on february 2014, but, unfortunately i wasn't hired. Is it common Copa send the emails again for another opportunity?

Gustavo_CDT
12th Sep 2014, 15:31
Not everything said here is true, always remember that. Some people are very happy and some people hate it, the thing is where do they come from. If you come from flying a small airplane, barely getting paid, and this is your first time in the airlines it's a great place to be. Some Americans and guys from other countries come here expecting the type of benefits the airlines offer back home, and they forget they are not home, and they also forget that Copa offers better benefits than most of the airlines in South America.

You will get 1500$ a month, you will only have to pay for your food as the training housing has everything. The contract says that after the simulator you have 30 days to find a place of your own, and you will get 1100$ extra for per diem, plus the representation expenses for the ATP (Right after you have your commercial you can do your ATP, no need to wait). It is true the training can take about 10 months, and most of the time you will be free in Panama, if you are smart you will spend your free time home.

As for me I am very happy. In training I'm getting paid 3 times more than in my last job flying 80hrs in a widebody jet every night, on call with no schedule. So for me Copa has great benefits, others might think different.

Ferreira
12th Sep 2014, 16:49
Hey people, do you know someone that tried the screening interviews again? I got an interview on february in this year, but, unfortunately i wasn't hired. Is it common Copa call again for a second opportunity?

Thanks!

Seamin Stains
13th Sep 2014, 01:33
Having started the interview process in March 2014.
I did not hear anything for approximately 4 months, then a late night email to show up in PTY the next day for a meeting with the Psycho. Psychologist and her over worked and by polar assistant. I can attest personally that everything i experienced during my two tours to PTY are 100% in line with what was said by Peter Rojas and others that i met and spoke with personally while in PTY

I have noted that most of the South American and Mexican pilots will complain under their breath in Spanish about the Panamanian attitude towards everyone. But as has been seen here will not be identified.
Because they know that this is as good as it gets for them.

6 months later i have not been notified by COPA whether i have passed or failed,slipped thru the cracks you say? However as for me my ship has sailed. And even if i were offered a job at this stage would i go back to them.

I was warned of this Panamanian while i was there, and my good friends who were forma COPA Captains, and now,are now inspectors with the Panamanian CAA and who actually over see COPA operations on the B737 and E190 also cautioned me about the attitude of COPA Management toward the pilots.

So for those who cannot do any better than COPA. then this is your future. And for those who want to do better, then you need to look beyond COPA.

Wishing you a Happy Landing.
S. Stains
HMS Bona Venture.

aircowboy
21st Sep 2014, 07:10
How long does the instruction last for a f/o with more than 550 hours on the 737???

Thanks

samca
21st Sep 2014, 11:58
Betuneen 8 and 9 months until you have been released

jet-lover
22nd Sep 2014, 18:55
any chance of finding a job at COPA with these qualifications:

faa atp
850 jet time on 737NG...not current
3300 hrs TT

* i do NOT speak spanish at all.

chitolin
22nd Sep 2014, 22:03
No. You need spanish

Gustavo_CDT
22nd Sep 2014, 23:53
You can apply, spanish is not a must at all. A lot of Captains and FO do not speak spanish.

samca
23rd Sep 2014, 23:50
For captains is not completly necessary but for FO it is. I don't know any FO that doesn't speak Spanish, well just one. Even the Brasil people speaks spanish.

rsbessa
24th Sep 2014, 02:07
Brazilians usually don't speak spanish... We try, as the language, somehow is similar to portuguese.

To tell you the truth, don't knowing how to properly speak spanish bothers me a lot ! I hate using portuguese words while trying to talk in spanish. I feel like a fool :(.

Yeap, I'm brazilian. No, I don't work for COPA... But I do know a few guys who are working there and they, at least until going to Panama, didn't know how to REALLY speak spanish.

bojando
3rd Oct 2014, 19:13
Hi pilots, 27/08 I applied to the website they made a contact with me by email, asking for documents. On 01/09 I sent all the required documents... and I'm waiting for a response right now

Anybody know when it's NEXT interviews?

how long it take to notify me continuing in the process?

best resgards.

lilflyboy262...2
4th Oct 2014, 02:29
I think I applied in the end of July. Same boat as you Bojando.

Romsey31
10th Oct 2014, 12:45
I completed recruiting process including acc three weeks ago. They emailed me last week asking me to send further documents updated medical etc and references contact info from my past and current employer. I have not heard back from them since. Is this standard procedure is this done with every one or does it mean I've passed the first stage

Sherwood Fox
12th Oct 2014, 09:09
This Tuesday I received my invitation for the pty interview and tests. Will be going next week. Does anybody know of upcoming ground school dates for FO's? Great news!!! Any tips for the screening would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get the latest pilot prep.

Romsey31
12th Oct 2014, 16:50
Sherwood interviews take place everyday Monday to Friday. It's crazy the amount of pilots that go through that place. Be sure to prepare. Work on your single pilot ifr (sids,stars, dme arcs holds, ils approaches miss approach etc) and your math algebra fractions percentages etc. No calculator, and it's Bout 25 questions in 20 minutes. These two are the most challenging part of the recruiting process. Everything else should be basic knowledge

Romsey31
12th Oct 2014, 18:24
Bonjano some of my previous response was for you. Interviews tale place basically every day.

Dog tired the atp questions are not what I got. Everything else was basically similar.
I'd say prepare for a week or two review your math etc and ifr flying

fireball_23
13th Oct 2014, 14:15
For the review, check it out on latest pilot jobs. It is basically what they will ask you for.
The two most important " items " are the sim ( Seneca or King ) and the interview.

Romsey, did you come back to Panama to take the aac test ( the one with the figures ) after having completed " stage 1 " ? If it is the case, that means you passed stage 1. Wish you the best.

Romsey31
13th Oct 2014, 21:10
Fireball I completed acc test. Two weeks after completing the test they emailed me for more documents and references. It has been a week since they emailed me.and I have not heard back since.

RVR400
14th Oct 2014, 18:44
Same here, Interview completed 2.5 months ago, ACC test completed a month ago. Then was informed 2 weeks ago that references are being contacted. I am still waiting for an answer.

Sherwood Fox
21st Oct 2014, 06:47
I've done the interview and tests for the first stage last week, now I'm waiting...
They do treat you very well, and it's a good idea to come prepared, now Can anybody tell me about the AAC psychological test? Where can I find practice tests?

lee_apromise
21st Oct 2014, 07:35
Guys, is Gleim ATP enough for the interview and knowledge test? Or add PHAK to study list too?

fireball_23
22nd Oct 2014, 07:50
@sherwood

look for something called " the bender test ",( basic drawing ) and try to practice some spatial reasoning tests, like 2d 3d figures. ( 50 figures in 20 min for the test )

Delta_Charlie
29th Oct 2014, 08:50
Hi to everyone,

With regard to the minimum hours required for foreign pilots, I was wondering if is possible to apply if you have flown 1000 hours only on a light single engine aircraft. Do you know if they are looking for specific class or type of aircraft?
Have you gone through this process with experience just on light aircraft?
Any information is welcome :)

Regards.

Romsey31
29th Oct 2014, 09:24
Delta I met a few persons at the interview with light single and multi Piston time. So my answer to that would be yes

samca
30th Oct 2014, 13:05
Hi,

About the Spanish, I can tell you that It dependa. If you are applying for FO you must speak Spanish, not basic Spanish. For Captains I have flown with some captains that speak 0 Spanish. Regards

lee_apromise
30th Oct 2014, 13:09
So some people say one of requirement is fluent spanish, whilst others say it is not a requirement at all. Who's right? :confused:

Henrickrocha
31st Oct 2014, 03:36
A friend of mine was hired as FO and did not know any spanish, on the other hand he speaks portuguese as native language wich is very close to spanish.

samca
31st Oct 2014, 05:08
Yes thats true, I know some brazilians pilots but really few. We could say 95% first Officers speak Spanish.

Romsey31
31st Oct 2014, 22:50
I was hired as first officer. I speak zero spanish, however I have begun the learning process

KRUGERFLAP
2nd Nov 2014, 01:31
The salary is a joke for Captains!Disgrace for our profession. For F/O s even worst because they have to pay for the conversion of the ATP and during the Infamous BRIDGE course they earn penuts :yuk:.(I guess is the worst salary in the world for a B737NG pilot)No house allowance anymore LOL. BUT IF YOU r single and JOBLESS and live in latin/central america or US (flying Regionals)without a jet > 50 tons type rating Maybe is a choice. The funny thing is the poligraph test. I guess they ask if you will leave after 500 hs LOL. COPA - Centre Of Pilot Assessments .

If u don't have any jet type rating other choice is to try HK express in Hong Kong ,at least they pay you more and the 320 open more doors.

Good luck!

Stone_cold
3rd Nov 2014, 08:19
Because type rating an employee should be part of the operating cost of the Company . It is due to your and your ilk why when you do finally break through the glass ceiling, all you find is splinters instead of crystal !! But you can't wait , so accept the crap that comes with it .

Pay for the rating , pay them for 500 hours in the right seat .Pay them for your upgrade . Hell , fly for free ! As long as you get to fly jets ...right ?

nosegears
3rd Nov 2014, 12:44
I´m receiving e-mails from COPA almost every week

They´re inviting my to the screening wich I don´t want to join anymore

Low salary and bad rosters are the main problems in my point of view.

We cannot fly for free never and we need to prove our value to the market.

Regards
NoseGears.

raydux
4th Nov 2014, 08:56
How did you folks get past that blasted Peoplesoft website to submit your info to COPA? I can't get it to do Crap-all!:ugh:

enrique757
5th Nov 2014, 12:47
I agree with NOSEGEARS.
I have almost 2 years as NG FO and looking to move on to a place where you get a decent salary , terms and conditions and where scheduling actually works and lets bidding system do its job.
Two years ago they stopped giving housing to expats ( even thought by government law you are supposed to have) and now rumours are that along with the "union" they are trying to stop paying to those who came in with housing as part of their contract. Yeah , those 800 dollars worth of housing are BEFORE taxes . They do not allow the bidding system to work ( they take around 14 days to release your schedule after the bidding period. Does it sound safe to have 2 consecutive 3 day long and late night ( or early morning ) departures ?
Crew meals are less than desireable. You need anything whatsoever from admin ( letters for a bank , etc ) plan on playing the waiting game.
Plan also on being treated rude , Panama will suck patience out of anyone.
My best advice is to build up time somewhere else.
I was fooled , they do have nice and new planes , but that is it.
Hope my feedback helps , do not be fooled by PCC hiring ad. Copa has bren hiring continously for the last 8 years because AN AVERAGE OF 10-15 pilots leave each month.
1700 bucks base salary before taxes along with flight hours and per diem is not enough for living but for surviving. Groceries , apartments (buy or rent) , partying is all expensive , Panama has a high cost of living
Blue skies to everyone

nosegears
5th Nov 2014, 22:50
I agree with you Enrique too

As a current NG FO you know better than I what you are saying.

Try to join FlyDubai or a company where you can find a promotion soon

Regards
Nosegears

Jumbo744
13th Nov 2014, 06:46
Hello guys,

Has anyone heard from HR lately? I have applied and kept updating my application for the last 3 month, but still no contact from COPA...

Thanks!

lee_apromise
13th Nov 2014, 09:20
Applied on Oct 17th, heard back from them on Oct 22nd. Sent those required documents on 28th, still waiting. :(

Jumbo744
13th Nov 2014, 09:23
thanks lee a promise for the info...I wonder what is wrong with my application, I double checked and filled it correctly, status still says ''Applied''...i meet all requirements, speak spanish....

anyways...thanks...

Stearman75
15th Nov 2014, 06:59
Hello guys, how is the average time to get promoted to the letf seat in COPA?
:cool:

factor-x
15th Nov 2014, 11:23
According to the MOV (Flight Operations Manual), you need 4,000 hours and the ATP rating, plus other additional qualifications.

samca
16th Nov 2014, 01:54
Plus 1000 on the NG :ok:

AdrianSC
27th Nov 2014, 21:11
Anything new?
Interviews are happening?
I know that for captains they stopped.
And for co-pilot?

samca
29th Nov 2014, 13:13
They stopped captains becouse they are going to focus in upgrades all 2015. Cheaper and Easy.

factor-x
29th Nov 2014, 17:49
Correct, they will upgrade FO's throughout 2015, they're not interviewing captains.

nosegears
30th Nov 2014, 02:15
Copa is still calling me almost every week

Too many options of date, but most of them Im flying in my current job.

TyRod
3rd Dec 2014, 09:18
How does Copa select their guys?
I have been sending my details for a year and nothing.

B737 rated, 2600TT ( 2000 on heavy turboprop), JAA CPL, FAA ATP.

RVR400
3rd Dec 2014, 11:29
Copa does not Interview nor hire FOs with B737-NG Type Rating. If you are lucky for an interview, they wont hire you anyway.

You are too smart for the position. As soon as you see their operations and mentality, you will split.
FO Non type raters, are usually dumb and egotistical about their first jet. So they end up swallowing all the BS until they have enough Jet time to make it to the big leagues. By that time you have already returned Copa's investment.

Captain recruitment have stopped.

Its as simple as that.

152HEAVY
4th Dec 2014, 17:37
So it is true.....no DE captains anymore?

Upgrades I assume? So it looks like a good time,for FO's.

152H:ok:

samca
4th Dec 2014, 17:41
not DEC anymore no, for the moment just 2015. Rgds

152HEAVY
5th Dec 2014, 13:32
Hey All!

Does anybody know if the $2.5k - $3k to get the Panamenian licenses is still covered by the prospective FO or is COPA starting to pay for that.:eek:

thnks!

RVR400
5th Dec 2014, 15:10
It is suppose to be done away with as agreements on the process to convert an ICAO license to Panama License are to be the same as Captains. As far as I know, yes, you are still required to digest your own bills. While some of the medical portion is refundable with receipts.

Corkey McFuz
5th Dec 2014, 21:16
Can you convert ICAO atpl to a panama ATPL or do you have to convert to cpl and then do another test/exams for ATPL later ?

Whats the chances of getting hired as FO if you speak no spanish ? Does it happen ?

samca
5th Dec 2014, 21:33
I had an ATPL JAA licence and I had to convert first to Panamenian CPL and after that to Panamenian ATPL. You can not convert directly to ATPL. you know, money money money money...!, the CPL exam in a Seneca and the ATPL in a C172... Sooo you can imagine my friend!

And yes you can be hired even if you don't speak Spanish but Spanish speakers take advantage. The problem COPA find is a poor basic aeronautical acknowledge of the southamericans pilots, and Panamenian pilots standards are very low (specially with 200 hours) so a JAA licence + 1000 hours here is a "warranty" that you as pilot are prepared for recieving a type rating and Should not have problems during your loooooong training until your line check, thats the reason why the company still calling so many Spanish pilots with JAA licence and some experience.

From my point of view and just in my humble opinion, in America most of pilots get their licences very Easy, It is far away of the exams system and preparation of European pilots. If you see the flights schools in América when you come from Europe you think It must be a joke that pilots can be trainer there.

lee_apromise
6th Dec 2014, 02:14
From my point of view and just in my humble opinion, in America most of pilots get their licences very Easy, It is far away of the exams system and preparation of European pilots. If you see the flights schools in América when you come from Europe you think It must be a joke that pilots can be trainer there.

Total bull$hit. 14 JAA ATPL theory exams doesn't make you a better pilot. :yuk:

How about trying to get a rating or a certificate by an FAA Inspector? He will grill you with oral exams. :=

samca
7th Dec 2014, 17:20
lee_apromise,

I think we are speaking about two different things. I was speaking about getting a CPL licence or ATPL and you are speaking about getting a type rating.

ATPL FAA writen is easy, is a fact. Because you study a bank of questions (it does´t matter your knowledge about aviation) in comparison with JAA you can study a bank of 10.000 questions but is not enough, you must study you must know about meteo, regulation, air law, performance... if you don´t study you don´t pass... simple. I don´t know if it makes you better pilot but at least is a warranty that you passed because you won it.

With respect to Type Ratings in FAA and JAA. I have 3 type ratings. First was in London, Second in Madrid, Third in Pánama. In England and Madrid the Type Rated Examiner TRE makes me your FAA oral exam while I was flying during the emergencies so I can warranty you that when you get your Type Rating you know the systems and the JAR OPS and JAR FCL regulation very good. Do you know what some Private companies do when their pilots fail a LPC in the sim in Europe? They send their pilots to FlightSafety USA.

I know a very very good USA pilots, I like to fly with them because I learn a lot, most of them are professional pilots here with thousand of hours but I keep saying that the standards of training in Europe are very high and a Danish, Spanish, French, English, German... are better prepared, I´m sorry if it hearts yo tu ear that but is true. Also I have a friend here (spanish) he got his license in USA and work several years as Flight Instructor in the same school before join COPA. This guy explain me most of americans students don´t study and they have a bad attitude to learn.

;)

[QUOTE]otal bull$hit. 14 JAA ATPL theory exams doesn't make you a better pilot.

How about trying to get a rating or a certificate by an FAA Inspector? He will grill you with oral exams. /QUOTE]

Jumbo744
7th Dec 2014, 18:00
pfffff.....:ugh:

is it another ''My dad is stronger than you dad'' kind of discussion?

I've seen and flown with people from Europe, America, Africa, Middle East....and you get good and bad pilots everywhere....now define to me what is a good pilot? we all have our own definition...

One thing I learned for sure from experience is that, it is those who speak the most about aviation that know the least.

what you are saying is very immature and yes, total b$llsh!t

samca
7th Dec 2014, 21:33
Jumbo what are you comparing a proffesional pilot with thousands of hours and worldwide experience?. I'm speaking about new joiners with brand new licences from different countries and regulations. Their Training and preparation is different dependiente where they got their licences. It is not bull****, It is real and It is a fact.
It is not the same a new pilot in Europe than in China, India, Southamerica, Caribe,... Finish. You can say It is bull**** but It isn't and everybody in the industry coming from flight school as flight instructor or working in training departament in companies knows what I'm speaking about.
You speak bull**** not me telling that you have flown with pilots from different nacionalities. Of course and me too, I join this industry in 1998 and also Fly with different nacionalities pilots, but once a pilot get 2000 or 3000 hours is other pilot. I'm bored of you guys and your unargument answers. It is not the same a new pilot from Europe than other regions, I will continue saying once or a thousands times becouse I'm confident what I'm saying... Finished.

152HEAVY
7th Dec 2014, 23:15
Well...one way or the other each pilots training experiences are going to be different. Bottom line, in my opinion, it all boils down to what YOU make of it and how you want to grow and progress and increase your knowledge as a pilot.

Now......BACK TO COPA....:)

lee_apromise
7th Dec 2014, 23:55
I was speaking about getting a CPL licence or ATPL and you are speaking about getting a type rating.

Read correctly before you reply. I said "certificate or a rating". In the states, pilots go through certification hence the term "certificate".

I've seen JAA guys bragging about "They hired us Europeans because we are better than locals" in front of local pilots and guess what, these Europeans can't even do basic IR in a analogue gauged C-172 since they were trained in "Glass Cockpit" C-172. Wow !!! :D

And can't even convert between hPa and inHg. :ok:

So much for famous JAA 14 ATPL theory exams.

Well...one way or the other each pilots training experiences are going to be different. Bottom line, in my opinion, it all boils down to what YOU make of it and how you want to grow and progress and increase your knowledge as a pilot.

Hear hear, much more matured answer.

samca
8th Dec 2014, 13:48
Most of schools in Europe doesn't has C172 with Garmin 1000 equipped, just a few. So flight students le arn to Fly IFR with analogue cockpits. And convert hpa to mb? Jesús, thats stupid is false, thats the first thing a pilot learn during PPL phase.
Anyway this thread is for COPA and people doesn't read about our discussion. So lets continúe speaking about COPA.

S.

captjns
8th Dec 2014, 22:59
Samca... you through the grenade into the crowd. That said, grow a pair, and take the criticism like a man.

Agreed, academics are important, (including proper grammar which a brush up wouldn't hurt you at all). Applied skills in the cockpit are of greater importance which one can obtain in other parts of the world beyond Spain.:ok:

lee_apromise
9th Dec 2014, 00:16
And convert hpa to mb? Jesús, thats stupid is false, thats the first thing a pilot learn during PPL phase.

I seriously question how the Spanish authority is delivering their syllabus. Very amazing. :D
Obviously this Spaniard can't tell the difference between in.Hg and mb.

samca
9th Dec 2014, 03:41
Obviously my mistake due to answering fast, I wanted to say inches of Hg and mb... And as I said... Any pilot learn that in the early stages of his ATPL Integrated course becouse is quite simple and Easy. However most of you or your flight students doesn't know how to calculate winds using trigonometría (yes Spanish word becouse I don't know in english and I'm lazy today for using the translator) do you know how to do a point to point Navigation using a convencional VOR instrument? (go and look for in google) most of you never heard before even your collegues doesn't know how to correct winds in a Holding, intercept radials in bound and outbound to a station, to Fly an NDB approach etc, etc, etc... Don't try to test me, I can hunt you with one finger and I don' want to waste my time with people like you becouse my time is gold and this thread is not for that if you want send me a private Message and we can continue our discussion.
I recommend you to read a Navigation book Spanish people call "Vadillo", It is very long around 600 Pagés I think. It is written in spanish ( opppsss, sorry don't remember you only speak your mother language) anyway when you finish to read this book ( which is "La Biblia" of Navigation books) and if you are able to understand something we can continue discussing about what study JAA Spanish flight students. And when you finish with "Vadillo" you can start to read the performances book we call "Carmona" yes, It is another Spanish crack. So you can have a small idea of what study a Spanish pilot before to get his licence instead of you that study nothing more than a bank of questions, yes the gleim green or red book is the only think you need to memorize before to have the licence. Very sad but everybody know how is your written exam, It is a fact.

Let's speak about this thread questions please.

S.

lee_apromise
9th Dec 2014, 05:10
However most of you or your flight students doesn't know how to calculate winds using trigonometría (yes Spanish word becouse I don't know in english and I'm lazy today for using the translator) do you know how to do a point to point Navigation using a convencional VOR instrument?

Wow, so simple! Learnt much more difficult mathematical problems in my bachelor of engineering degree! :D

most of you never heard before even your collegues doesn't know how to correct winds in a Holding, intercept radials in bound and outbound to a station, to Fly an NDB approach etc, etc, etc... Don't try to test me, I can hunt you with one finger and I don' want to waste my time with people like you becouse my time is gold and this thread is not for that if you want send me a private Message and we can continue our discussion.

Wow again! I learnt how to correct winds in my FAA instrument syllabus!

I recommend you to read a Navigation book Spanish people call "Vadillo", It is very long around 600 Pagés I think. It is written in spanish ( opppsss, sorry don't remember you only speak your mother language) anyway when you finish to read this book ( which is "La Biblia" of Navigation books) and if you are able to understand something we can continue discussing about what study JAA Spanish flight students.

Even double wow! I speak both Korean and English and my English is so much better than yours (following your childish mine is better than yours logic). I don't need to learn anything in Spanish. Australian ATPL and FAA PHAK cover everything I need to know. Try to be more efficient as what Americans are doing then you won't be so stuck up in your narrow mind. :=

When did learning how to fly become a rocket science? tsk tsk.

Learn how to take some criticism dude. You just can't admit you said something so stupid can you?

Fine I let you win on this one since there's no point talking to a wall anyway. Let's get back to Copa now.

fireball_23
9th Dec 2014, 11:36
Wow ! Man for real ? I have both licences ( FAA & JAA ) and I really don't think I'm the **** because of that. ( I'm coming from Europe ).
I do agree on one thing though, I personally found the JAA ATP ( 14 subjects ) much more hard then the Faa written.
On an another hand, the different oral tests in the States are huge, and cover every little things. ( in my experience, +/- 6 hours for the oral + the flights )
Coming from Europe, I know people are used to say that " we " are more focus on the theoretical part, when the FAA is more into the flying skills.

Anyway, it's not a good place to argue.

leondelfierro
9th Dec 2014, 11:44
Hey...
Show a little respect for the comunity that's putting food on your family's table and stop that Hernan Cortez Attitude.
We all know industry have different weakness and strong spots depending on the side of the globe... I can recall on the usually slutty attitude regarding paying for ratings and jobs in certain "Peninsula" nearby Morocco for example, also can't recall any widebody hull lose from an airline from this side of the planet in the past few years, though you might wanna double check Quito just for doubts regarding your so awesome EASA training.
So yeah, we might be behind in some points, but in most carriers they are aware and already improving that, and most important... Quietly.

chileno 777
9th Dec 2014, 14:49
SAMCA....

I have the South African PPL (not EASA but based almost 100% on that curriculum) and the FAA CPL&IR.
Why I decided to change from one syllabus to another? Basically because I could not stand anymore all the crap that one have to learn on the EASA based program! And not I am not lazy...have a bachelors degree (5 years study) and a post graduation from one of the most respected universities in Chile...so I do know what means to study hard.

I just did not want to cram a bunch of topics that will not have a practical use at all during my aviation career....so when I was informed that had to learn the compass swing (just one example) I packed my stuff and left to USA!!

To calculate winds using trigonometry? It is a stunning word but I have never used trigonometry during a commercial flight so far! (I only have 1800 hrs...1400 on the ATR 72 and maybe the Boeing and Airbus pilots use it on their daily flights but I seriously doubt it)...so why study things that one will never use it at all?
It is true that EASA students have to study a lot (14 subjects) but honestly speaking most of the subjects have zero usefulness during their aviation career. On the contrary FAA syllabus is more practical oriented.

It is true that FAA written exam is a joke (compared to the EASA 14 exams) but on the other hand the FAA oral exams are quite difficult (mine were 2 and a half hours each and the examiner covered every aspect about the things that I will really need during my career).

And for your information I did learn "how to correct winds in a Holding, intercept radials in bound and outbound to a station, to Fly an NDB approach etc, etc, etc..." during my IFR course ...I just did not gain knowledge of a bunch of useless theory subjects!!

samca
10th Dec 2014, 01:21
So in conclusion everybody is telling me that I'm right is It? European JAA written exam is too much harder than FAA. So you are giving me the reason. You like or not but It is what It is and I think It is not fault of respect to tell the true.

S.

lee_apromise
10th Dec 2014, 03:44
So in conclusion everybody is telling me that I'm right is It? European JAA written exam is too much harder than FAA. So you are giving me the reason. You like or not but It is what It is and I think It is not fault of respect to tell the true.

S.

Can we nominate this guy to be the troll of PPRuNe 2014? :E

Obviously he still doesn't get the point. :ok:

Jumbo744
10th Dec 2014, 05:30
absolutely!

unfortunately the industry is full of ''intelligent'' people like him