PDA

View Full Version : COPA Airlines interviews

Pages : 1 2 [3]

samca
10th Dec 2014, 11:31
Lee_apromise I don't remember but a Australian pilot sent a Message to this troll requesting me advice... It was you?, Kindly I answered the message.

lee_apromise
10th Dec 2014, 12:51
Lee_apromise I don't remember but a Australian pilot sent a Message to this troll requesting me advice... It was you?, Kindly I answered the message.

Samca, here's the thing. I always believe a person is born with good nature and I always try to be as courteous as possible. I am sure deep down there, you are a nice person too but why did you say something so obnoxious pi$$ing everybody off?? Yes, you answered to me very kindly and I really appreciated it until I found your post very offensive towards those who have FAA certificates and I tell you what, my check-rides in the states were all done by FAA DPE who was a former seniority no.3 Northwest Airlines captain and I feel very proud to have been endorsed by this legend.

Why don't you put yourself into another person's shoe? For instance, I didn't have $hit load of money to burn in getting Australian CPL (but I do have Aust PPL), IR and ME ratings so I went to U.S to receive "inferior" training according to your standard. Even during my type rating in the states, I respected my instructors who were from diversified background such as ex-Centurion Air Cargo Chief Pilot, Captains from American Airlines, Atlas Air and Avianca and not a single one of them had a disrespectful and impolite behaviour like you demonstrated on this forum despite they have hell a lot of more experience than you. I remind you that all those instructors started with FAA syllabus and they are where they are now because of high training standards set by U.S FARs.

The company I used to work for went belly up so I'm looking for a new opportunity. Even if you don't know another person's circumstance, you never thought that you might have actually offended another person's emotion and pride? Just because you have JAA CPL (may be you might have JAA ATPL by now) doesn't give you a right to look down on other people. You just don't stereotype people.

I just don't understand why you don't get this fundamental basic ethics or manner! :ugh:

In my engineering and pilot career, I do not dare to say such childish remarks towards those who have obtained their licenses in countries such as Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia or even Thailand because there will always be people out there from those countries whom I can learn a thing or two from.

I standby here to be corrected Samca. If you have any rebuttal against my humble opinion, you can write it here.

samca
10th Dec 2014, 16:21
No, It is ok lee_apromise. I'm gonna leave my discussion with you here. It is quite enough. I don't want to disturb people in this thread so let's speak about COPA.

saraceno
12th Dec 2014, 15:00
I had the misfortune to work for those crooks for 4 years, I wish I never had left the US to go fly for them. I ve never seen such unsafe operation in my life, horrible training, incompetent people in key positions topped with a crappy pay. Do yourself a favour do not apply there, if you go there you will regret it for the rest of your life. They have the highest number of pilots violations in US, most of them received by their check airmen, yes you heard right check airmen getting violated. Several safety issues were brought to managment attention by few good pilots, unfortunately managment has never been interested, their safety program is not even reactive, is pretty much inexistent. I am back in US now and it is nice to be back in a world where people follow rules and regulations.

nosegears
13th Dec 2014, 17:53
Thanks for your feedback @saraceno

babisiliop
15th Dec 2014, 08:36
Does anyone have a direct emailling address of either DFO or B737 chiefpilot's?

Cheers

Skymann
16th Dec 2014, 19:14
there. You will be asked to send docs and docs and more docs, in an never ending process then you can expect to wait as much as 8 months to maybe get an answer.
These people are a complete mess. Never seen that...And I worked for some bad outfits. I just can not imagine going through training.
But again, look at the pedigree of their management from top to bottom. It is easy to figure it out ..
Funny enough, they do need pilots and are canceling vacations left and right.
Their turnover is one of the highest, all nationalities.... That says it all...

saraceno
19th Dec 2014, 02:50
This topic will never end to make me laugh. Samca this is especially for you, please listen up and try to understand my point. I am originally from Europe, I had the pleasure and honor to be naturalized in the US in 2006 after 13 being a resident in the States. I have an FAA atpl and a CFI, II, MEI instructor license, just recently I have converted my FAA atpl into CAA UK EASA ATPL. Here's the thing, the process was insane, hard, absurd and useless for about 80% of the material covered. In Europe we put more enphasis on the theory part, on the other end in US the FAA for each licence requires a limited knowledge that is required to exercise the privilege. Having said that, in US in order to get a job with an airline one needs to have a basic knowledge that goes far beyond the one required by the FAA to pass an ATP test.

In Europe the EASA ATPL is a finishing line, in US the ATP is a licence to learn. I worked in the States for 15 years and for my last 4 years I worked as captain at Copa, I ve flown with lots of spanish pilots, some of them good some of them ok, it is not the licence that makes you a good pilot, it is your attitude first and than all the rest.

Samca with your statement you are killing the spirit of aviation, try not to make such a statement regarding your fellows compadres being superiors to the rest of the community, it is not fair because in life you never know, since you re talking about the superiority of the spanish pilots you might wanna tell the story of the spanish pilot who got violated in Chicago for making a180 degrees turn instead of turnig to 180 heading after take off, was he calculating the wind trygonometry as he was flying? A great Italian scientist, Leonardo da Vinci once said" simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" americans are great because they embrace that principle, and don't forget the US landed on the moon before you were born.

Most of your country men learnt a lot not from their jaa licence, but from flying with a bunch of retired Southwest pilots for long time, that eperience was priceless. Please stop this non sense because in US a pilot with 1000 hours doesn't even serve coffee on an airliner.

samca
20th Dec 2014, 02:20
Saraceno you are not in the company now and I see what are you looking for here with your 'explanation' about the incident in Chicago. It is a poor and bad intentionated sentence and of course you are not explaining the history how it was, just the part you are interested people now. I know this FO he is an excellent chap and better pilot but we are humans and sometimes we make mistakes it is part of our job. I completely sure that it was not a issue of básic knowledge of aviation, it was a comunication problem with controller. Anyway your answer it is a little be cruel and it is not fair.

factor-x
23rd Dec 2014, 16:21
Dear Samca, I would love to know your employee number at Copa so when I see you assigned to a flight on my GENDEC, I can tell you what an ignorant, arrogant, uneducated, impolite, racist and ungrateful individual you are.

You should limit yourself to flying within Europe. I dislike complainers like you, and this should not even be a topic of conversation, FAA vs EASA, man, you sound like Kelly's "my milkshake brings out all the boys in the yard, and they're like it's better than yours, damn right, better than yours, I can teach you but I'd have to charge"...

There's a joke that goes like this, a US pilot will fly from point A to point B, and is not able to explain how he got there, a Spanish pilot will fly from point A to point B, crash somewhere in between at location C, and will give you all kinds of reasons and explanations as to why that happened.... it's not mine, I read it somewhere here on pprune and it made me laugh.

dc8dude
23rd Dec 2014, 23:17
LOL, yes I second that, being an "estupido" Norteamericano flying here at Copa I too would like to know Samcas ID!!! There is a lot of diversity here but so far I have had zero problems, hopefully it stays that way!!!

samca
24th Dec 2014, 03:06
it is ok for my side stop discussion about the difference between EASA and FAA written exams because it seems to be that people here is so stupid that doesn't learned to read properly. I'm comparing the way of getting two diferent licences EASA and FAA and you are all the time speaking about formed proffesional pilots differences and creating a stupid 'polemica'. So it is like speak with a wall. Finish you win Bye

factor-x
24th Dec 2014, 03:35
The fact of the matter is that what makes a good pilot, a good person, a good human being, is the willingness to never stop learning and also in our business in particular is a pilots attitude towards safety and towards getting the job done in a way in which passengers can go on to their destinations, plane can be reutilized, cargo can be offloaded and forwarded to destination, and the crew can go home.

For you to mention that A side is better than B side because one side has to do X amount of exams does not mean anything. 14 exams don't mean anything if you cheat on them. You seem to not value how much effort people on this side of the globe have to put into things.

As a human sitting on a cockpit with a mission of getting paid to get a plane with passengers from point A to point B, once you are there the job is to help the flight succeed. You don't criticize the guy sitting next to you for whatever lack of skill, knowledge he might seem to show on that particular point in time, just make the flight succeed and get on with it.

It really doesn't matter if they are from whatever place in the world or from Mars or Venus, what matters is the willingness to get the job done professionally.

Besides, regardless of your background once you get here, this is all standardized. The guy that came in with 250 hours straight out of flight school, the guy that came with 1000 but no jet time, the captain that flew a Twin Otter for 5000 hours, the ex military pilots, we all have to perform within certain published standards that are enforced by AAC, FAA and ICAO. Failure to perform up to the standard and the individual will not get the job. Many pilots come here to Panama to try their luck, many washout at different stages of training. So if you make the flight line you already passed many serious filters, you are operational.

Before you make claims like the ones you have made I suggest you post statistics and serious studies and references to what you claim to be fact. Over here on this side of the world we are taught something called critical thinking, you seem to lack that. What emanates from your posts is nothing but pure racism, ignorance and bigotry.

I would also strongly advise, and don't take me wrong, but please improve you English speaking/writing skills before the next time you fly into the USA you get involved in a serious violation. Besides a man of your caliber should not have the level of English of an elementary school child.

I thought schools in your side of the globe where first class. What happened you didn't get 14 exams to learn English? I'm not trying to be mean, but you started this.

RVR400
24th Dec 2014, 23:50
Has anyone in here been offered a Job with COPA and had to defer the start date to the Bridge Course?
If you did, were you contacted later or had a progressive exchange of emails with HR on plans toward the new start date?

maxer
26th Dec 2014, 09:20
Hello

Going to start in Copa here end of january.

A few questions I could not find in the forum so far:

1) Is there a bonding for the training? If so, on how much, for how many years, and does it get less every year? Is it only signed after you pass the training?

2) The scedule. One said he average was flying about 80h 23 days a month, average leg 5 hours - so do you have plenty of time on outstations to do some sightseeing? Or is it just a quick night sleep (or day sleep), shower and early breakfast and then back home....? I am asking because I come from Europe, and Copa has a lot of exotic destinations I would like to experience - not only from the hotel window....

3) Any one had luck in bringing their girlfriend with them? Or is that only possible if you are married?? Is it possible for her to find a job in Panama as a Dental technician when she does not speak spanish - yet?

See you all soon

chitolin
26th Dec 2014, 14:22
As for the dental technician part, I don't think it is possible, most medical professions in Panama are reserved for Panamanians only.

paolo.theflyer
27th Dec 2014, 10:22
Hi Guys, i d like to let you know that Now Copa don t accept Dc entry captain at all.
few days ago I called the HR ( I had a chat with someone in the recruitment) and he confirmed me that at the moment they do not need Captain.
Very sad for that!!!

saraceno
27th Dec 2014, 22:58
As I said previously Copa is the worst place to work in the world, I was there for 4 years and besides Copa's crap, I was really tired of lackadaisical attitude of panamanians. If you have no other options and are low time piston I understand, but definitely leave your girlfriend in Denmark, don't take her there, I made the mistake to move my family and it almost cost me a divorce.
Copa stopped hiring captains not because they dont need them, but because they are upgrading lots of FO's, their new strategy is to hire low time piston pilots who cannot get a job anywhere else and upgrade their fo's in order to control the continuos loss of captains. Good luck to you and be very patient, I hope you have savings because the pay as fo is a misery.

paokara
2nd Jan 2015, 23:44
COPAis COPA

Go have fun get your time and go home or your next job. It's that simple

Don't go as an FO it will suck

I spend a little over 2 yrs as a Captain on the 73 and had a lot of fun and met great people.
Co pilots? You set the cockpit, they are good great and bad,,,,,I was lucky to have 99 percent great partners on that seat and that's what they are partners.

Currently flying for one of the top 3 airlines in the US for the record

paokara
3rd Jan 2015, 00:02
SAMCA just tranquilo a little bit

Have you upgraded yet? Or you are bound for the Middle East?

Good Spaniards upgrading, those afraid to upgrade because of their superior JAA or EASA training dady"s cash paid and some under the table for the 14 lessons go to the Midddle East.

Check about 16 years ago the biggest investigation in Europe about cheating for licenses... It was in Spain.

Now let me say this too.....I have made many good friends Spanish FOs while my time at Copa. Good people and good pilots however some are professional pilots and some think they can walk on water if you understand what I mean

highflyboy
4th Jan 2015, 15:27
Hey did anyone apply recently and got a call?

lee_apromise
6th Jan 2015, 14:12
HR says:

For the moment all applications outside the American Continent are on Stand-by.

:ugh:

polaris79
7th Jan 2015, 04:09
Hey maxer,
How was ur interview? Think I may have one coming up? Any notes you can provide for the interview would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

iglesiascubiles
10th Jan 2015, 15:31
Hi Lee, i'm applying for COPA since may. I'm from Spain and i'm still waiting for a call.
I have read your post and become worried for that.

I wonder if you have received that information from HR by email or in your application website.

lee_apromise
11th Jan 2015, 14:56
I wonder if you have received that information from HR by email or in your application website.

I sent them an email inquiring as to what's going on nowadays with the recruitment and that's the reply I received. :(

There will be a change on the maximum flight time on Panamian law, thats why they have stop hiring DEC.

I thought they stopped hiring DEC due to internal upgrades? :confused:

Alatair
21st Jan 2015, 14:39
Hi to all,

Just came back from the assessment,

COMPASS test: no surprises.

Interview: weird to say the less, an arrogant,almost disrespectful Captain and a no existent HR consultant. Absurd questions. He probably will talk more than you showing off about his experience and knowledge.

English Interview: Fair but be careful maybe some questions related to your COMPASS Psychological Test, if you have already completed it.

SIM: Frasca 142 single Pilot ride. Watch out if you are used to EFIS and multi-crew (rear thing these days), sensitive in Pitch. As per the examiner words: "This will be a simulation of an IFR check ride"...No further comments.

Poligraph: Just to fill in the paperwork, someone is making money out of it.

At the end, not a pleasant experience, disorganized, with long waiting times and without any kind of info about what to expect next. You feel that you are about to join the Army.

Not a clue of what they are looking for, of the group of eight people that met over there, only one made it to the next level. Different backgrounds but most of them +1000 Piston. Other with over 6000 and two type ratings didn't pass either.

My view, if you are jobless, low experienced and live in America close to one of the Airports where they operate, noting to lose...in other cases think twice, could be a waste of time and money, with no even a thank you in return.

I hope this help someone.

aless85
21st Jan 2015, 17:45
Thank you Alatair for your contribution!!

So what is the next level? getting the job? or another interview?

What about the sim check? can you elaborate a bit on that?

thank you again!!

saraceno
26th Jan 2015, 04:05
You are the luckiest man on Earth, I was at Copa for 4 years and belive me when I say so. They are getting sued left and right for breach of contract, the only pilots they can attract are low time inexperienced pilots who cannot get a job anywhere else, Copa is a timing bomb. I am sure you have better chance in a well organized company, Copa is a circus full of clowns. A latino captain just got fired for calling in fatigued, he was there for almost 2 years without vacation, another one for refusing to fly to Havana after telling the company several times the hotel was extremely dirty, he actually got a respiratory infection a few months back before he finally couldn't take it anymore. To them it's a game, if you raise an issue it becomes their mission this captain was sent to Havana constantly after he wrote several reports about the unsanitary condition of the hotel. Their Union has just being subpoenaed, the police has confiscated their accounting books and they are talking about jail time for some of their MEC. I am sure they re still getting a bunch of applications every day, after all pilots are pilots worst enemies.

lilflyboy262...2
26th Jan 2015, 09:23
Sara~

2 questions.

1) Why did you go there?
2) Why did you stay so long?

fabricio79
26th Jan 2015, 11:55
I dont belive you a word, i have 3 friends flying there and i can ensure that all you are saying is a lie, that´s all.

saraceno
26th Jan 2015, 16:46
I went there because I wanted to fly in South America and learn spanish which I did, I stayed 4 years because it took me 4 years to get a job back to the States, I work for a US major airline now.

saraceno
26th Jan 2015, 16:53
If you don't belive me try to find the article on la Prensa of Panama which was published a couple weeks back regarding safety, I really don't care about them I just don't want other pilots to make my mistake, that's all.

fabricio79
27th Jan 2015, 08:43
I´m not talking about an article writen by someone who never been seated in a cockpit, i´m talking because my friends that fly there. BTW I didn´t find that article. And you said that you flew there for 4 years, so you need 4000hrs of 737 to get in a mayor airline, how can you say that someone have to pass away the COPA chance for a better job? With no rating, no airline experence, etc etc. Come on man, you sound like that people that say to young people "forget the planes" and in the part that the only people they can attract dont forget that LAN Chile some few years ago was taking pilot with 200hrs, i guess that maybe the know something more than us

factor-x
28th Jan 2015, 16:22
This is a communique or memo sent by UNPAC (the pilots union) on January 6 of 2015, on which it addresses the case of the Colombian captain that Saraceno mentioned, I will post the original in Spanish, followed by a translation into English:

"Los hechos guardan relación con la fatiga de vuelo y en concreto a hechos ocurridos con el compañero ALEXANDER GÓMEZ, Capitán de la Flota Boeing, el cual lleva más de quince (15) meses sin que se le asignarán vacaciones por lo que desde el mes de diciembre del 2014 hizo advertencia sobre la fatiga acumulada y solicitó en reiterados correos la asignación de sus vacaciones; obteniendo como respuesta una asignación de vacaciones para la segunda quincena de febrero de 2015, es decir luego de 16 meses de iniciar la relación laboral.

Frente al eminente estado de cansancio acumulado el Capitán Gómez declara fatiga lo cual queda documentado e incluso con constancia médica de dicha situación. Posterior a este hecho el Capitán es citado a las oficinas de Jefatura de Piloto para proceder a ser despedido.

Esta situación es sumamente preocupante, toda vez que el estado de fatiga es eminente en los pilotos de línea crea una situación en que se ve vinculada directamente la seguridad de vuelo; sin embargo frente a este cansancio acumulado no existe respuesta para el descanso legal y necesario del Capitán y por el contrario la opción para el Capitán fatigado queda siendo el despido.

La UNPAC se encuentra en estado de alerta y se tomarán todas las medidas sindicales y legales para defender los derechos del Piloto."

English translation:

“The situation is related to pilot fatigue, and to be precise this is something that happened with our coworker ALEXANDER GOMEZ, Captain with the Boeing fleet. After 15 months straight without being assigned vacations he made a warning about fatigue and he requested through numerous emails to be assigned vacations; the answer to his request was that vacations were assigned to him for the 2nd half of the month of February of 2015, which would have represented a vacations assignment after 16 months of starting his duties with the company.”

"The captain then proceeded to call in fatigued, this was documented/recorded and also certified by a doctor. Afterwards the captain was summoned to the offices of the Chief Pilot to be fired."

"This situation is extremely worrisome, since fatigue is such a sensitive issue, and also since it creates a situation that directly relates/impacts flight safety. Nevertheless and given the fatigue, there was/is no answer for the legal and necessary rest of the captain and on the contrary the option for the fatigued captain was to be fired. [SIC]"

"UNPAC is on a state of high alert and will take all necessary legal actions to defend the rights of pilots"

fabricio79
28th Jan 2015, 16:33
This is the list of the pilots on Panama associated to UNPAC, there isn´t an ALEXANDER GOMEZ, you can cheek it
Unpac Panama (http://www.unpac-panama.com/index.php/component/content/category/55-lista-antiguedad)

fabricio79
28th Jan 2015, 16:39
Or maybe you are talking about this guy
Gomez Ramirez Alexander CP-73G,738 12-Nov-13 876
but it´s strange that they didn´t metion the second surname

factor-x
28th Jan 2015, 16:43
I personally think that there was something else going on in this case. I mean this guy is/was a new captain with the company, so he's at the bottom of the roster.

According to the memo sent by UNPAC, by Dec. 2014 this guy had accumulated 15 months work and 0 vacations. Now my thing is that training with Copa takes a long time, this guy started system groundschool on Dec. 2013, then he had to go trough VPT, Simulator and IOE for captains, this takes a long time with Copa, and in that particular point in time they were having issues with simulator training since there were not enough simulator instructors and also issues during IOE since they did not have enough IDR instructors.

Additional, this individual must have been between the ages of 40-50, and with plenty of jet experience, therefore training must have been a piece of cake for him. And given the situation that I mentioned earlier with the training, in between sessions he most likely had plenty of time off to relax.

I'll give you 2 scenarios, with an extremely positive estimate, let's say this guy was fully operational and on the flight line on May 2014, from May to December that's 8 months of flying.

With a negative training estimate, this individual was probably sent to the flight line let's say in August, that would make 5 months of flying.

What breaks my chops is that it had to be December? Given the importance and pressure put on by Western, and latin American families to the month of December, I am inclined to think that this captain wanted to bypass seniority and get the month of December off to be with family.

Nothing wrong with that, but to be realistic, the Codigo de Trabajo on Section 3, article 54, page 20 states that Employers are supposed to give you 1 month for every 11 straight months of work, however also on the Codigo de Trabajo, Section 3, article 59, page 21, also says that vacations can accumulate for up to 2 terms if there is an agreement between the employer and the employee.

He asked for vacation, they gave him vacations, seems to me he wanted vacations when he wanted them, and he wanted to bypass seniority.

lilflyboy262...2
28th Jan 2015, 17:38
So Sara~

You came to COPA without the experience to get into the Major airlines, and with what I assume was no type rating?
They hired you, trained you, and gave you plenty of hours on the 737 which then lead you onto the next step in your career which was a major airline in the states.
You also got to fulfill your dream of learning spanish and getting to work in South America.

:rolleyes:

A huge percentage of the people going there are in the same boat as what you are in.

Simple. Head down and work. Stay safe. Then leave.
You have probably never had the experiences that I have had in GA around the world that will mean that this company will be a dream to work for.

factor-x
28th Jan 2015, 18:21
fabricio79 (http://www.pprune.org/members/416181-fabricio79), the UNPAC list has several issues, it's incomplete, and it's not sorted properly.

Some FO's are in the same category as captains, and some new FO's are missing altogether.

factor-x
28th Jan 2015, 18:43
That captain could have handled the issue differently. There are ways to swap flights amongst crew members well in advance.

fabricio79
29th Jan 2015, 09:48
This guy up knows haha

N_hernandez90
1st Feb 2015, 18:33
Greetings
I wonder if someone can help me i've recently sent all my doc and everything to copas webpage an i am waiting for an answer
Do you know how long that it takes to have one back? Im from Panama and have oaci 5 does it helps?
Thanks dear friends

factor-x
2nd Feb 2015, 19:40
My friend, that question is hard to answer accurately. One thing that I was personally told by HR is that they receive so much documentation through email and through the website that sometimes the system/inbox is full and will simply not be able to accept any more applications (however there is no message to indicate this to you).

What I'm trying to say is that sometimes they email you, and ask you to send in stuff by email, and unless they reply to you and tell you that they have your documentation, then most likely they never received anything at all...

I can only speak for my own personal experience, and in my case I had a girlfriend that worked at Copa at the time hand deliver my documentation to HR personally.

I also recommended to fellow friends to just drop by Costa del Este and attempt to personally deliver their documentation. I know of 1 friend who did it this way and he was given interview dates on the spot.

If you know anyone that already works at Copa, just talk to them and ask them to personally take your paperwork to HR.

As for the ICAO level 5, well that just means that you comply with one of the requirements, so it's a good thing that you have that. But keep in mind that there's many other applicants that also have level 5, or even 6 out there. They will take a look at everything you have/are.

N_hernandez90
2nd Feb 2015, 19:57
Thanks for you help factor-x Ive recived this reply "su currículum en línea ha sido enviado correctamente a Recursos Humanos el . Si desea revisar y/o actualizar sus datos, haga clic en el siguiente enlace." I think that this means that they ve recived mi cv and the other docs haven't they??

I have some friends who work for copa, so as you said its better to asked them to deliver my things to H.R. right?? Or should I go to their office by my own??

Thank you once again

alfaro
3rd Feb 2015, 02:31
Also you can send your docs to [email protected] or call Copa HR Department (507) 304-2263

saraceno
4th Feb 2015, 13:06
I was a furloghed pilots who went back to United just because I couldn't by pass the call more than once, I did not need Copa to get called by a major. I am just stating that I would rather work for Mesa than Copa. I had over 10000 hours of jet time when I was hired by Copa, the 737 time I built in South America did not help me with Southwest, the place where I really wanted to work. Most of the pilots in my initial class did not make it through training not because they were not good pilots, but just because they did not adjust to the bs of that place. If you wanna go there go and good luck to you, but be ready to deal with insanity.

aless85
4th Feb 2015, 15:41
Dear colleagues

Despite all the negative comments, I would like to apply for COPA in the next couple of months whaen I will reach 1000 Flying hours.

Now around 940hTT, 850hFlying hours, 440h 737-200, 150h 737-300EFIS

My question looking for advice is the following.
I have an ICAO CPL SE/ME/IR ELP 6 and SIC 737-200 to 500 all Current.
Then I have an EASA SE/ME/IR ELP 6 where the ME/IR is expired by 1 month.

Should I revalidate the EASA ME/IR before applying to COPA?
Would that make me more appealing to them to hire me or it would not make a difference?

Thank you all for the suggestions!

Happy landings

fabricio79
6th Feb 2015, 11:21
There may be something wrong if you can´t get the job that you want with 10.000hrs

paokara
7th Feb 2015, 03:26
I had a great time after the long long Copa training
I was a 737 captain and made many friends there
It's not like United thats for sure however it was a great experience all around
Money was ok and since I knew what it was and decide to go then I guess I should not complain.
Flew all over south and Central America met good people and cultures.

If I get laid off from United I will go back for sure

polaris79
10th Feb 2015, 20:52
Has anyone conducted the Copa interview lately and have anything to add on the interview process as of late? I've got the Latestpilotjobs interview prep but how accurate is this and does anyone have anything to add to this?

factor-x
10th Feb 2015, 22:06
Read all 28 pages of this thread, that's all you need to know about Copa.

saraceno
12th Feb 2015, 02:09
Either you are a major toolbox or you are an infiltrated managment asshole from Costa del Este. I was never called from Southwest so I ve never interviewed there. My understanding is you don't even work for Copa, so do us a favour let the grownups talk, go to your fbo in Argentina and build your flight time on piston before you even get involved with things you don't even have the know how. Your english level is not even 4 according to ICAO standards so I suggest to write on the spanish forums, boludo! I wish I knew someone who knew about Copa before I went there, my effort is to inform my collegues, if you wanna be part of an airline where pay is horrible, schedule suck, union corrupted with 27 members indicted for stealing, low safety standards with continuos cheating on official documents such as mass and balance sheets and dangerous goods reports, if you wanna be poisoned by some FA's who put eye drops in your food just because they hate foreigners,( it did happen to two pilots, one american and one european), than by all means be my guest and work there.

fabricio79
13th Feb 2015, 03:55
In the last part of your text is the answer to your bad experiencie , is very common in our latinamerican culture to treat assholes the way that they deserve

fabricio79
13th Feb 2015, 10:38
You can´t expect to go to another country, with another history and culture, and spect that the things work like home, here in latinamerica a lot of people work all they life to get the retirement and the still have to rent their house, because you dont get much pay, or you are unable to get a credit, in the other hand you can be working on your own, without a title and at my age have two houses already paid 3 cars, go to europe on vacation every year, etc etc. COPA it´s a great oportunity not only for getting your jet time, for most of latinamerica people it´s an opportunity for make a life, a family and you home. It sad for you that you spend 4 years and you havent learn nothing.

pilotede320
13th Feb 2015, 17:08
I am constantly amazed by all the experts on forums such as this!

We are free to give our opinions and advice and sadly, our vitriol.

I interviewed with COPA last March, 2014 and was thoroughly impressed with the airline. No, it doesn't work like a german machine or north American business. It is Panama!! and COPA is a very successful business and airline. Indeed a world leader.

The interviews were respectful and friendly. The sim ride was in a Emb-190 at BOG. The computer tests were just like others have posted here (Thanks, Merci, Gracias e Obrigado)...latestpilotjobs.com really helped. Lie detector test put me to sleep, psych eval was interesting too...what's with the paper folding?

I was very grateful for the various COPA courses I was offered as a direct entry captain but could not accept as my wife was ill with cancer. (fully recovered now thanks). Unfortunately, all further direct entry captains are indefinitely on hold. Understand they are promoting from within.

You can rest assured that there's no place like home. However, if you are looking for an opportunity to work with a vibrant, dynamic company, then this COPA is a great option. You really can be happy anywhere or bitter everywhere...your choice.

No, I am not from COPA management. However, I have lived in Brazil, Quebec and Bahamas. All foreign countries to a prairie boy! I travel a lot to central America although my Spanish still sucks. Nevertheless, I'd be very grateful to live in a place like Panama!!

Flew fighters in the RCAF and then flew with Air Canada for 26 years so I have an idea of what greatness is. I have two university degrees and working on a third so I can read a newspaper...in three languages but humble enough to admit my ignorance.

If COPA calls tomorrow, or next week...I'll be a dot on the southern horizon...and hopefully, not too fatigued to ever work! But grateful to thaw out.

CptBlood
21st Feb 2015, 13:20
Hola a todos!

Sorry to ask a maybe-yet-asked question, but coudn't find an answer, scrolling down the interesting posts of this thread, but I am looking for a way to send my "hoja de vida" and apply for a flight deck position in COPA.

The online application website does not seem to work very well, and I need to find a way (aka contact names and email addresses) to send my stuff.

Any good soul willing to help me?

Thanks
CptBlood

pilotede320
4th Mar 2015, 21:54
Jorge Tapia Him (CM) <[email protected]>

152HEAVY
4th Mar 2015, 22:42
"... is very common in our latinamerican culture to treat assholes the way that they deserve..."

LMAO, you made my day!:D

amos26sund
11th Mar 2015, 16:43
Hi everyone,

Does anyone please know or have any number or email to directly get in touch with copa hr department, preferably pilot recruiting. I have sent in my application on their website and still not peap for a while now. I will really appreciate it. You can message me directly if you don't mind.

Thanks

TriStrPlt
11th Mar 2015, 19:00
Katherinne M. Zeballos G.
Recruitment & Selection Analyst | Human Resources VP| Copa Airlines
Panamá| ( (507) 304-2838 | [email protected] (http://www.copa.com/) |

amos26sund
12th Mar 2015, 04:28
Thanks a lot TriStrPit, I really appreciate it. Any idea if copa are still hiring low time first office presently?

Clearedtotakeoff
12th Mar 2015, 16:50
Hy everybody. I'm about to send all the documents copa ask for to apply for a fo position, but i'm a little afraid. I had an accident last year with a small single engined aircraft, due to fuel leak. It wasn't my fault of course, and managed the situation pretty well and proceeded a sucesfull emergency landing in an open field and nobody had a single scratch (me and 3 paxs).
But I wonder what COPA thinks about incident no matter whose fault it was, since they ask for a non incident/accident declaration from the authorithies. :{
I've heard they already hired fo's with a previous incident/accident like this, but I really aprecciate some tips, sugestions, on how I should proceed with the application. A specific recruiter to get in touch with before apply?, or, is it a problem not to send the accident declaration at the first moment and just bring this stuff in after they ask me? :confused:
I'm just afraid to send all the documents and get excluded right away.:(
Aprecciate everyone's help, tip, experience, sugestion, etc.. thanks.

factor-x
17th Mar 2015, 14:18
My man, to quote Denzel Washington starring as Frank Lucas in American Gangster, "The only way to find out is to find out".

Stop being a pussy and send your stuff!

AgentDenzel
18th Mar 2015, 08:28
said it an't soo...

factor-x
18th Mar 2015, 20:53
One thing that you guys have to keep in mind is that this place is not perfect, build your time and get out.

Be prepared to put up with some stuff that you really should not have to put up with. Lately there is a growing anti foreigner movement taking over Panama.

The old Copa dinosaur pilots will discriminate the new guys, the black guys will discriminate the white guys, the white guys the black guys, the Panamanians will discriminate the foreigners,the foreigners the Panamanians, the FA's will be rude and not talk to you sometimes. Security staff at the airport is uneducated, abusive and unhelpful.

This is still the 3rd world, with 3rd world education, and a 3rd world mentality and you will feel it and see it once you are here.

I mean its a job and we are not here to make friends or whatever, but we do have to sit side by side less than 3 feet apart. I had to fly for the last 2 days with a guy that would not talk to me, would not shake my hand, and the only thing coming out of his mouth was negativity, towards the company, towards foreigners, towards the very people he was carrying. I was afraid to touch anything in the cockpit.

Just come, fly as much as you can, suck it up and move on.

amos26sund
18th Mar 2015, 22:14
Nice to know.

Do yo have any idea if they are still hiring FOs, I have sent my document and finished the online application which i updated today again. But still haven't heard a word, any ideas

B737SFP
19th Mar 2015, 15:08
That's really sad factor-x...

I hope you can find a better outfit and leave CM.

I have a few friend there and the FOs don't seem to enjoy the ride. The Cpts are just surviving, but not enjoying either.

All the best !

Gustavo_CDT
2nd Apr 2015, 20:05
Nacional
Colisionan dos proyectos para regular a los pilotos extranjeros

jueves 2 de abril de 2015 - 12:00 a.m.
La diputada Zulay Rodríguez presentó un anteproyecto que regula la contratación de pilotos

Copa dijo que ha capacitado y contratado a cientos de pilotos panameños. Archivo | La Estrella de Panamá
ARCHIVO | LA ESTRELLA DE PANAMÁ
Copa dijo que ha capacitado y contratado a cientos de pilotos panameños.

Una contrapropuesta para la contratación de pilotos extranjeros llega a la Asamblea Nacional. Esta plantea la renovación de los contratos vigentes de 3 años, siempre y cuando la aerolínea haya aumentado el porcentaje de personal panameño.

La diputada Zulay Rodríguez presentó el pasado lunes 30 de marzo el anteproyecto de ley 207, paralelo al de su colega Jorge Alberto Rosas, que causó controversia al extender de forma indefinida los permisos laborales a los capitanes de avión extranjeros.

La nueva propuesta, de 7 artículos, permite a las aerolíneas panameñas contratar pilotos extranjeros; sin embargo, estos no pueden exceder el 15% aplicado al número total de personal técnico contratado. Según el Código de Trabajo, son personal técnico los pilotos, mecánicos y tripulantes de cabina.

Otro de los artículos del anteproyecto de Rodríguez propone que el piloto extranjero con licencia autorizada por la Autoridad de Aeronáutica Civil no obvie los trámites legales ante el Servicio Nacional de Migración ni otras entidades.

En ese punto, se modifica el artículo 45 de la Ley 21 de enero de 2003, que regula la aviación civil en Panamá.

MÁS CAMBIOS

Las compañías aéreas tendrían un nuevo requisito para contratar personal extranjero: capacitar, además de los pilotos panameños, a mecánicos y auxiliares de vuelo, sobre todo en aeronaves que requieran contratación de mano de obra foránea.

Las aerolíneas deberán publicar las plazas disponibles de trabajo para los panameños, por lo menos, cada tres meses en un diario de circulación nacional.

También se establece que el personal técnico especializado retorne a su país una vez capacite al personal panameño.

El anteproyecto pide que esa materia sea reglamentada por decreto ejecutivo.

Un artículo transitorio plantea cien por ciento de personal panameño, luego de 10 años de entrada en vigencia de la norma.

LAS DISCREPANCIAS

La compañía panameña, Copa Airlines, dijo a La Estrella de Panamá que siempre ha cumplido con lo exigido en la ley en lo referente a la contratación de pilotos.

‘Dada la importancia de la aviación para el turismo y el desarrollo económico y social de nuestro país, no podemos apoyar una legislación que limite el crecimiento de las empresas aéreas panameñas’, indicó.

La aerolínea sostuvo que los pilotos panameños ‘siempre han tenido prioridad ‘ en las contrataciones.

‘Es de esperarse que en un país pequeño, donde la aviación crece a un ritmo rápido, sea necesario contar con pilotos extranjeros experimentados, como complemento al personal nacional’, agregó.

Copa Airlines considera como ‘un riesgo muy alto’ tener personal cien por ciento panameño, tal como estipula un artículo transitorio del anteproyecto 207. ‘Aparte de eso, se estarían poniendo limitaciones que no tienen empresas nacionales o extranjeras de otras áreas de la economía’, adujo.

PROTECCIÓN AL PANAMEÑO

La diputada proponente, Zulay Rodríguez, afirmó que busca proteger al trabajador panameño porque, de no ser así, seguirán con médicos y maestros. ‘Si necesitas extranjeros, traes al personal técnico, capacitas al panameño y regresas a tu país; esa es la idea’, resumió.

La Asamblea no ha informado cuál proyecto se discutirá primero, si el de Rodríguez o el de Rosas.

==========

PANAMEÑOS ESTUDIANTES

El grupo de estudiantes panameños y los que saldrían en 2016

estudiantes de aviación civil quedarían por fuera del mercado laboral, según el anteproyecto, al no existir contratación de nacionales.

pilotos extranjeros deben salir en 2016, luego de vencidos sus permisos de trabajo de seis años, según el sindicato.
Colisionan dos proyectos para regular a los pilotos extranjeros (http://laestrella.com.pa/panama/nacional/colisionan-proyectos-para-regular-pilotos-extranjeros/23855351)

Gustavo_CDT
2nd Apr 2015, 20:39
Pilotos comerciales rechazan proyecto que da permiso a extranjeros | NEXtv Panama (http://www.nexpanama.com/videos/pilotos-comerciales-rechazan-proyecto-que-da-permiso-extranjeros-16137)

lilflyboy262...2
3rd Apr 2015, 05:46
Anyone care to translate that for us non-spanish speaking people?
Cheers!

amos26sund
3rd Apr 2015, 18:24
National
Collide two projects to regulate foreign pilots

Thursday April 2, 2015 - 12:00 a.m.
The deputy Zulay Rodriguez presented a bill that regulates the recruitment of pilots

Copa said he has trained and hired hundreds of Panamanian pilots. Archive | La Estrella de Panama
FILE | THE STAR OF PANAMA
Copa said he has trained and hired hundreds of Panamanian pilots.

A counter for hiring foreign pilots reach the National Assembly. This raises the renewal of existing contracts for three years, provided that the airline has increased the percentage of Panamanian personnel.

The deputy Zulay Rodriguez presented on Monday March 30 the bill 207, parallel to that of his colleague Jorge Alberto Rosas, who caused controversy by extending indefinitely work permits to foreign aircraft captains.

The new proposal of 7 items, allows Panamanian airlines to hire foreign pilots; however, these may not exceed 15% applied to the total number of contracted technical staff. According to the Labour Code are technical personnel pilots, engineers and cabin crew.

Another article draft Rodríguez proposes that foreign pilot license authorized by the Civil Aviation Authority does not obviate the legal proceedings before the National Immigration Service or other entities.

At that point, Article 45 of Law 21 January 2003, which regulates civil aviation in Panama is modified.

MORE CHANGES

The airlines have a new requirement to hire foreign workers: training, besides the Panamanian pilots, mechanics and flight attendants, especially in aircraft requiring recruitment of foreign labor.

The airlines should publish the work places available for Panamanians, at least every three months in a national newspaper.

It also states that specialized technical staff return to their country once the Panamanian train staff.

The draft calls for this matter is regulated by executive decree.

A transitory article raises hundred percent Panamanian personnel, after 10 years of entry into force of the standard.

DISCREPANCIES

The Panamanian company, Copa Airlines, told La Estrella de Panama has always complied with the requirements of the law regarding the recruitment of pilots.

"It Given the importance of aviation for tourism and economic and social development of our country, we can not support legislation that limits the growth of Panamanian airlines' he said.

The airline said the Panamanian pilots 'have always had priority' in hiring.

"It is expected that in a small country, where aviation is growing at a rapid pace, is necessary to have experienced foreign pilots, in addition to national staff 'he added.

Copa Airlines considers as 'very high risk' have personal hundred percent Panamanian, as stipulated in the draft transitional Article 207. 'Other than that, they are putting limitations that have no domestic or foreign firms from other areas of the economy' he argued.

PROTECTION PANAMEÑO

The deputy proposer, Zulay Rodríguez said that seeks to protect the Panamanian workers because, otherwise, they will continue to doctors and teachers. 'If you need foreigners, you bring technical staff, capacitas to Panama and return to your country; that's the idea "he summarized.

The Assembly has not informed which project will be discussed first, the Rodriguez or Rose.

==========

PANAMA STUDENTS

The group of Panamanian students and those who would come in 2016

civil aviation students would be outside the labor market, according to the draft, the absence of recruitment of nationals.

Foreign pilots must leave in 2016, after their work permits expired six years, according to the union.
Collide two projects to regulate foreign pilots

enrique757
5th Apr 2015, 17:11
It is more than understood that the Pilot's Union and others do not want us expats flying in Copa. People should also know that there is a dispute between the Union and other pilots going . In the end only time and Copa's flight OPS needs will tell what will happen. Sad thing is Copa has good routes, well maintained fleet but low salaries and and a rotten Union that does nothing but play a smoke screen.
My 2 cents
My 2 cents.

lokito50
8th Apr 2015, 04:03
If only the asia pacific region started taking lower time expats as FOs. All the west will be screwed! It's coming i think. Its a matter of time before demand surpasses supply in terms of qualified pilots and then companies will be sucked dry from Asia's and the middle east's companies taking in so many pilots.

152HEAVY
10th Apr 2015, 16:58
Hello,

I heard of a hiring freeze at Copa...no more FO's this year?

factor-x
11th Apr 2015, 00:18
Boeing lands blockbuster order for 61 of its 737 jets (http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2015/04/10/boeing-lands-blockbuster-order-for-61-boeing-737-jets/25591583/)

Boeing: order-for-737-max (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/customers/copa-airlines/copa-airlines-selects-the-737-max-with-61-airplane-order.page)

Praggn
11th Apr 2015, 14:40
Hey guys,

There is just one thing I'd like to say... If you want to work in S.A or where ever there is spanish, you'll need to speak SPANISH!

And yes there is a lot of foreigner pilot discrimination, but not just the companies, also the governements are working in that way.

See ya

factor-x
12th Apr 2015, 03:21
Praggn,

I've personally flown with Captains that don't speak anything other than English. There's FO's and CP's from many different countries flying for CM.

There is no Spanish requirement, anywhere you fly if you speak English the controller will reply in English...

What we do have is a bunch of FO's and CP's with extremely poor English and that will continue to cause problems.

JQKA
12th Apr 2015, 17:32
Praggn,

I'd like to say that you need to speak English, maybe you are a confused soul.
Remember few Fligh crew are even never rostered into flight towards the USA for lack of English and this was remarked as well with a negative note from the USA sent to Copa!!
So, good job to the Operation!

factor-x
12th Apr 2015, 19:58
JQKA,

I totally agree and second your statement.

Praggn
12th Apr 2015, 22:06
My fault, didn't get the it that you're talking about COPA and airliners...Also, I was talking in a more general way (living/working in a Latino country)

Is it related to the fact that I'm living in Perú???
For sure you need to speak english, that's a must! But over here they ask you spanish and the ICAO 4 minimum in Español.

:ok:

JQKA
13th Apr 2015, 01:09
Pragon
Hombre no te preocupes;), aun si mi idioma latino nos es de nivel 6, lo entiendo y ablo perfectamente despues de placticarlo muchas veces hace años en mis viajes...
Que lo passas bien en Peru!;)

152HEAVY
26th Apr 2015, 18:53
Any hiring updates?

pilotede320
1st May 2015, 17:11
Heard from Katherinne Zeballos in February that all Direct Entry Captains were indefinitely on hold. Any changes?

Expat737
5th May 2015, 23:27
Yes, that´s true from every training captain and office person Ive spoken to. They have enough FOs in the pool to upgrade consistenly so theyre focusing on that and hiring new FOs.

152HEAVY
6th May 2015, 01:01
No more new FO either for this year!

lee_apromise
6th May 2015, 01:28
Received an email from Ms. Zeballos saying that classes are full for the rest of this year. I guess these classes are for upgrade classes. Hopefully once these upgrades are cleared, they resume new FO recruitment. Good thing is Copa keeps ordering airplanes. :D

Keep
14th May 2015, 00:43
I heard recently from a friend that work in COPA that the entire last group of FO's hired was laid off before start the ground course of B737, in total was 17 fired, they have been told that they would've been put in a special list to return at first need, although I've heard that COPA has hired around 6 panamenians for the FO's position. COPA also intend to reduce frequency and maybe cancel some of flights to Brazil due to the economical crisis that hits the country, I can't say if that is really the reason for these FO's been laid off or the union or some political issue put pressure on COPA staff to hire panamenians (even with almost none experience flight time).

Here in Brazil aviation labor market is stucked, TAM Airlines (major in the country) has been almost 2 years without hiring anyone, as well as other companies.

Keep
14th May 2015, 01:13
http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/CPA/3396481472x0x230106/4fbc9806-91a1-47ef-bb4f-756b151fde42/Fleet_Plan.pdf

PDF file with COPA fleet perspective for this and next years..

lee_apromise
14th May 2015, 04:37
http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...Fleet_Plan.pdf

PDF file with COPA fleet perspective for this and next years..

The fleet plan looks promising for potential foreign FOs provided current local FOs get upgraded to PICs (I believe this is happening as of now) and foreign FOs move to middle east.

Skymann
15th May 2015, 00:05
Many Copa pilots do not even meet ICAO English level 4 as witnessed in practice, job fair, etc... and their Spanish is 8th grade level. I do not know about their flying and CRM skills...
Cabin crews are pretty good and very friendly. Always get some extras with them, which is rare these days.

fireball_23
15th May 2015, 07:46
Skymann, I totally disagree haha ! 10% of the cabin crew is actually really nice.. Most of them are rude and impolite. That is of course, my opinion.

calcaptain
5th Jun 2015, 18:26
Anyone have email address for Ms. Zeballos

RVR400
15th Aug 2015, 17:54
Anyone here was offered a seat some months ago for ground school, but is yet to get a start date?

PM me please

paokara
16th Aug 2015, 03:33
Skyman ::::

I find your statements a bit offensive and if you work at Copa , remember they pay you twice per month!

If you don't work for Copa the disregard!!! Just try to make your airline better and don't worry about other airlines.

FWI I don't fly for Copa!!

paokara
18th Aug 2015, 02:43
Enrique::::

Why did you accept the job then?

Just wondering ? I assume you knew what the pay and tax situation was before you went there , didn't you?

By the way are you a spaniard direct entry captain and previous Air Europa or Spanair with no job since They let you go at that time that Copa hired a few years ago ?

By the way I am very familiar with the Copa operation!! And cangrejo and Casco and Clayton

lee_apromise
18th Aug 2015, 02:50
So Copa Insiders, what is going on at Copa now?

It's been almost 8 months since they froze the recruitment. Since HR informed no classes scheduled until end of this year, what are we looking at for 2016?

Any info appreciated!

lilflyboy262...2
18th Aug 2015, 04:00
I was in Panama recently and spoke to HR.

No expats until 2017.

But also I know quite a few of the current boys are looking at moving on. Could move it forward to mid to late 2016.

lee_apromise
18th Aug 2015, 06:12
I was in Panama recently and spoke to HR.

No expats until 2017.

But also I know quite a few of the current boys are looking at moving on. Could move it forward to mid to late 2016.

Situation is that bad huh? Hopefully expats at Copa move to middle east sooner or later and bring the recruitment to mid 2016. Looks like I gotta be stuck with turboprop for awhile. :(

lilflyboy262...2
18th Aug 2015, 09:02
Be glad that you are on a turboprop! Some of us have taken piston pounders just to be home for a bit ;)

enrique757
18th Aug 2015, 17:47
Why? For the type and rew things that you only realize are not true once you get here. Im not from Spain and yes Im moving on. And no I was not fired from y previous job.
I had to clarify regarding your post on checks twice a month.

paokara
18th Aug 2015, 21:08
ENRIQUE I did not say fired !!!!

I said let go as it did happen for those pilots from spain since they grounded their fleet and Copa went and interview them at Madrid and gave them a job while they were jobless!!!

And again the pay is known to the public if someone does not like the amount then he/she should not apply and don't just get the job and then start complaining that's not enough!! It is certainly better than the RJ left seat they left behind and or the unemployment line!

A little appreciation goes along ways and that includes towards the spaniards said pilots with 200 hrs that they gave them a job that no way anyone else will let them even close to a 73 with that experience or no experience in better terms and all of a sudden they became gods gifted aviators and bad mouthing Copa !!!!!

By the way I am not a Copa captain for the record! Or a management pilot as a matter of fact the opposite a very Union involved pilot !!!

Saludos!!

factor-x
26th Aug 2015, 12:34
The whole point of having freedom of speech is for the man to say whatever the hell he wants, and plus this is the internet.

Who the heck are you to say that he should be ashamed about anything.

I dont know where the heck you're from dude but have you stopped for a second to think about why whoever you think doesn't like you, does not in fact like you?

Have you considered that maybe it's something related to your condescending attitude towards others?

If I go to the far east or the middle east or anywhere as an expat pilot I have to be respectful of the law and the culture and customs of the land, the problem is that some expat pilots that come to Panama consider Panama and the other locals to be below them, so therefore they feel that they should rule the land and rewrite the laws and everything.

paokara
26th Aug 2015, 18:20
Tapita73

You are not worth my time talking to you!

I was an expat in panama , never involved and not even a member of unpac since I was an expat and currently back in the USA and yes heavily involved with the unions here.

So don't tell me to be ashamed!!

Respect the job they gave you and treat people with respect!!

factor-x
26th Aug 2015, 22:33
Dear Tapita73,

The fact of the matter is that your online attitude is a mirror of your true inner self.

Also, you have the right to freedom of speech while on the internet, and in Panama as well, Panama is a free country. That right includes your right to say stupid things, and to make a total ass out of yourself, and yes that comes included with freedom of speech.

I will quote what you said You should be ashamed to say that you are involved with the union. It is clear that union members are not uncommon to criticize foreigners pilots, they have never stopped to think that with a real union more things would be achieved for the benefit of all pilots, but the union does not think.

Maybe you don't realize the reach of your words, but to say that someone should be ashamed of of being a part of UNPAC, why is that? why in your opinion is that a shameful thing? Because perhaps you feel they should do things differently? or perhaps because you don't have say on it's matters as an expat? Is it because as you say, they criticize foreign pilots? Should foreign pilots be allowed to be above the law? Should foreign pilots be worshiped as Gods? Should foreign pilots have a different status than panamanian ones? Is that what you are suggesting? So you're saying that the union does not think? Meaning that they're stupid? or that they lack the cognitive and mental ability to run things? really, is that how you feel?

Come on Tapita73, enlighten us with the correct way to run a pilot's union, share your agenda with us, and your plan of actions so that we can follow you, "master!"

You seem to have the attitude of a self-entitled a-hole that is deluded in thinking that he is doing the world a favor by being yourself.

It's funny how a lot of expats come into Panama and they don't know a single union member personally, and they say stupid things about it the way you did.

I feel sorry for you Tapita73. And please by all means show me how to fly, show me and tell me what a real union is, hell as a matter of fact, Tapita73... show me how to live!!!

lilflyboy262...2
27th Aug 2015, 01:52
Please don't ruin this thread with pointless bickering.

FNGhere
14th Dec 2015, 11:45
So, folks! Its the end of the year soon. What has Copa decided to do for the year 2016 concerning restarting hiring of expats?

ricardomendes
7th Mar 2016, 18:13
Is there any news about Copa recruitment for expacts?

chitolin
7th Mar 2016, 20:15
They are not hiring at the moment. And no plans for the future

Gustavo_CDT
8th Mar 2016, 12:00
Copa will not be hiring any more foreing pilots for now. And if they do most likely no F/O because of local pilot development efforts.

The only thing that could change those plans is the fact that a lot of expat pilots are resigning now, going to Qatar, Oman Air, and a lot of guys going back to their country. They are not leaving pleased about Copa and Panama, so think twice....

Gonzalo Coll Alacid
7th Sep 2016, 00:48
I heard a bunch of pilots are leaving Copa. Does anyone know if this rumour is true? Thanks!

chitolin
7th Sep 2016, 13:16
Yes..about 45 pilots gone

CAP B767
14th Sep 2016, 02:48
Please, somebody knows if Copa is going to hire expats soon?

PropDude
2nd Dec 2016, 10:32
They have just posted a new add on latestpilotjobs , has the expat recruitment opened again?

dlcmdrx
3rd Dec 2016, 11:14
where is that ad??? what date is it posted under?

PropDude
3rd Dec 2016, 14:20
https://www.latestpilotjobs.com/jobs/category/id/pilot_jobs.html

2/12/16

dlcmdrx
3rd Dec 2016, 14:54
ah ok was looking at the 1st and not paying attention. Many thanks.

PropDude
3rd Dec 2016, 15:54
np dude :) thinking to apply ? I would love to live in panama and fly the 737 but reading some older posts made me a bit sceptical .

Reveal1
3rd Dec 2016, 16:27
hello Guys,
I would like to give it a try but when I click on Apply as First officer, I cannot open the web page ...
I tried with Explorer 11, Chrome, disabled Antivirus, firewall...but still problem exist..
do you have any Idea?

dlcmdrx
5th Dec 2016, 11:20
reveal it tells you the certificate is not secure, with explorer it should allow you to bypass this and with any other web browser it wont allow you to go further.

Propdude, i am, i applied in 2013 but didnt have my uk cpl yet only my FAA , now i have the license and 250 hours more, but i lost my reccomendation letters. So will see what happens. I already send my resumé and received an email stating it has been received so i will hold on, on sending more stuff untill i need to if i ever do.

lee_apromise
5th Dec 2016, 12:17
I was waiting for an interview date to be scheduled back in Oct 2014. Do I need to apply again?

Reveal1
5th Dec 2016, 13:36
reveal it tells you the certificate is not secure, with explorer it should allow you to bypass this and with any other web browser it wont allow you to go further.

Thanks for helping but as I said i tried many things, as Disabled the Antivirus, Used Explorer 11, edge, and many others but nothing at all I can't open Nuestrohub site to apply.

Ps.Tried now with the Ipad and using explorer but same result.!!!

dlcmdrx
6th Dec 2016, 11:26
The only thing i can think of is that you make yourself a hold of another computer and try from it. very weird.

skyair
13th Dec 2016, 21:29
Thanks for helping but as I said i tried many things, as Disabled the Antivirus, Used Explorer 11, edge, and many others but nothing at all I can't open Nuestrohub site to apply.

Ps.Tried now with the Ipad and using explorer but same result.!!!
Hi!

I am having the same problem when I try to apply...
Did you find any solution?

Thaaaaanks a lot :)

Reveal1
14th Dec 2016, 13:17
not yet-.--trying many othersm PC and always using Explore 11 or higher on windows 10 but no way

lilflyboy262...2
14th Dec 2016, 14:12
COPA put out an internal notice to its employees for recommendations.
I can't remember the exact number of people they are looking for but it is at or around 100.

So there will be a little bit of movement there in the near future.

Good luck all!

dlcmdrx
17th Dec 2016, 13:56
Last thursday in Madrid norwegian OSM held a roadshow and even there minimum of 1500 hours having flown at least 150 hours for the last year.

I guess your post was destined at guys with thousands of hours. But like you said i doubt anyone that already has turbine time is looking at this job.

aviatrixgirl
6th Feb 2017, 01:24
Good news! :ok: Copa is hiring again. News ? as fas as I know they are giving the same test and exams as last year.

CAP B767
7th Feb 2017, 00:30
Only first officers or captains too?

darkshine
7th Feb 2017, 09:48
Hi all

Anyone else going for the assessment tomorrow in Panama?

Capt4lex
13th Feb 2017, 23:32
I just finished the tests and interviews with COPA. Well actually I got the psych evaluation with the Aviation Authority soon, but other than that Im done.

First day of tests was not that hard. Computer test with 6 different part. Go to latetspilotjobs if you wanna prepare for them. There was a computer psychological evaluation, no big deal. There was an interview with a captain and an HR analyst. They were both very professional and polite. No aviation knowledge was asked, just things like "what does CRM mean to you and give us an example of it" or "tell us about a time when you had to make a hard call".

Second day was sim of seneca II. The procedure was a SID with an arc, then a VOR approach then vectors for ILS and a hold somewhere in between, nothing too hard and yet, I know I could have done better.

Then the polygraph and then some blood tests.
Last week I did a Skype call with a person that checks your english level and now I still gotta do the Aviation Authority Psych evaluation.

They have been very professional at all times and I am getting a good vibe from this company!

Now, this process is a bit tricky. How? Well, if you dont suceed for example in the Day 1 tests, you dont go to day 2. If you dont succeed in day 2 tests, you dont get to have the Skype call or come back to panama for the psych eval.

As I understand so far, if you made it to the psych eval, next step is the bridge course. The psych eval is mostly just a requirement of the aviation authority.

I hope this helps!

Pedro Andrade
14th Feb 2017, 21:51
I just finished the tests and interviews with COPA. Well actually I got the psych evaluation with the Aviation Authority soon, but other than that Im done.

First day of tests was not that hard. Computer test with 6 different part. Go to latetspilotjobs if you wanna prepare for them. There was a computer psychological evaluation, no big deal. There was an interview with a captain and an HR analyst. They were both very professional and polite. No aviation knowledge was asked, just things like "what does CRM mean to you and give us an example of it" or "tell us about a time when you had to make a hard call".

Second day was sim of seneca II. The procedure was a SID with an arc, then a VOR approach then vectors for ILS and a hold somewhere in between, nothing too hard and yet, I know I could have done better.

Then the polygraph and then some blood tests.
Last week I did a Skype call with a person that checks your english level and now I still gotta do the Aviation Authority Psych evaluation.

They have been very professional at all times and I am getting a good vibe from this company!

Now, this process is a bit tricky. How? Well, if you dont suceed for example in the Day 1 tests, you dont go to day 2. If you dont succeed in day 2 tests, you dont get to have the Skype call or come back to panama for the psych eval.

As I understand so far, if you made it to the psych eval, next step is the bridge course. The psych eval is mostly just a requirement of the aviation authority.

I hope this helps!
Thanks Capt4lex!

I just recived the e-mail asking for the documents copies, but in the list is written that the minimum ICAO level is 5 and on the website it is written that the minimum level is 4 (????).

Are you type rated or have jet experience ?

Good luck in your career!

Capt4lex
16th Feb 2017, 02:47
I have absolutely no jet experience. I dont know about the ICAO english level though.
They are calling people from all over latin america so get ready! Prepare for the sim!

semperfubar
20th Feb 2017, 14:50
out curiousity or ignorance.....wtf is the "bridge course"?

JetSyndrome30
21st Feb 2017, 10:02
Good day all,

Is conversion of flight certificates required before applying to Copa Airlines?

Lepo
21st Feb 2017, 22:26
Bridge is a transition course for those that don't have jet/airline experience. You'll have classes about basic jet operation and atpl stuff.

Good day all,

Is conversion of flight certificates required before applying to Copa Airlines?

No, you'll be required to convert your licences after you get hired and before starting ground school. Copa will assist you through this (not financially should I say).

JetSyndrome30
22nd Feb 2017, 19:45
Thank you, Lepo!

737seeker
5th Mar 2017, 08:03
i couldn't get thru the application web page bcoz a pop up comes saying some internet security issue. i tried with different laptop, operating systems & browser.. nothing seems to work.

any advice very much appreciated.

Wally2001b
6th Mar 2017, 00:14
I guess the only way is MS Internet Explorer (all other browser doesn't seem to work in the site) and just in case try to disable your firewall... Probably you get a warning about "not safe site" to continue.
Also send an e-mail to [email protected] and you'll get an automatic response with the required documentation.
Greetings...

gustywings
22nd Mar 2017, 21:29
Has any "Non Panama" applicants successfully applied without 1000h? I heard FAA licensed pilots were being invited with 500h.

RicParis
25th Mar 2017, 23:42
Well i just did my Interview this monday. Everything went very well, really straight foward this screening. First, i did the compass, then the 225 question psychological test, then the interview with a 737 captain and the HR girl, went really nice. The next day i did the sim on the seneca, pretty much like an ifr checkride. Did a sid in SDQ, then the VOR 17, followed by the missed approach all the way to the holding. Then got repositioned for vectors to the ILS 17, at 400 ft i lost the G/S so inmediately go around, then again repositioned por the ILS 17 one more time all the way in to a full stop Landing.

Then unfortunately for the guys that were with me on the screening the sim stopped working. Then we got picked up for the polygraph and i have to say it was the most uncomfortable thing i have ever done, really intimidating, but got nothing to hide so i am now just waiting for them to call me for the next step.

Do you know how much until they coctact you again after this first part?

Thanks!

Dmi737
26th Mar 2017, 03:06
How long did they take to call you for the interview after you initially applied online?

RicParis
26th Mar 2017, 14:36
How long did they take to call you for the interview after you initially applied online?

A lot, i sent the email with my cv in november, and then again in december.

The thing is as it was explained tome by a friend who flies there the E190, is that they were calling according to your nationality.

For example in my interview almost all of us where venezuelan and brazilians.

Also he told me that they were inviting pilots who had been referred by a Copa Pilot.

Hope you get called ! :ok::ok:

CMPFO
27th Mar 2017, 16:36
I got my interview last week, everything nice and straight to the point. The computer tests are the same as LPJ on medium level. The interview was about 30 minutes, nice talk about pilot background and simple questions, nothing too deep in aeronautical knowledge. Unfortunately, as Ric said above, the Sim broke and my crew had to come back home missing the Sim assessment. We hope to hear from them this week. To those who think Copa does not pay well or offer a good life in Panama, simply don`t apply and make it easier for those who want the job. I hope everyone gets the chance to fly for Copa, see you guys in beautiful Panama City!

737seeker
28th Mar 2017, 07:44
anyone know HRD tel. no.?

i sent my CV about a month ago. haven't heard back from them yet except the autho reply.

i am assuming Spanish is not mandatory.

Laureanodb
31st Mar 2017, 20:07
Hi, I just received today a call from Copa for go to Panama this Sunday. I hope the´ll send the tickets and schedule via mail.

I´ve sent all my documents a month ago, and I sent my last document (the license, hours and no accidents certification) last Monday.

See u.

JetSyndrome30
31st Mar 2017, 20:17
Good day all, has anyone holding FAA certificates been called? How often are they hiring foreign pilots?

Laureanodb
31st Mar 2017, 22:53
I have a OACI license (argentinean) CPL + IR + MULTT and 1000hr. I think they need a big quantity of pilots. They have called me 3 times for completion of documentation.
If you have sent the documents, try several times, they not always receive the emails.

Kind regards and good luck.

SextanteUK
1st Apr 2017, 03:40
is it true what someone said up there? FAA pilots being called with 500h?

a friend of mine is a captain over there and I'm pretty sure it's not possible but hey who knows......I have 513h haha

GcitoG
1st Apr 2017, 03:45
Good day all, has anyone holding FAA certificates been called? How often are they hiring foreign pilots?

I have seen pilots from all over Latin American being invited. Since they do not restrict the governing body that regulates licences according to their webpage, I would assume that an FAA licence is also accepted. They are still calling lots of pilots from all over, hopefully you'll get your chance too!

Best of luck.

GcitoG
1st Apr 2017, 03:48
is it true what someone said up there? FAA pilots being called with 500h?

a friend of mine is a captain over there and I'm pretty sure it's not possible but hey who knows......I have 513h haha

According to the company's webpage:

Panamanian pilots

Minimum age: 21.
Minimum operational experience: 250 flight hours as a pilot.
Single-engine, multi-engine and instruments license.
English level 4 (ICAO).

Foreign pilots

Minimum age: 21.
Minimum operational experience: 1,000 flight hours as a pilot.
Single-engine, multi-engine and instruments commercial license.
English level 4 (ICAO).

GcitoG
1st Apr 2017, 22:33
With regionals hiring with decent bonuses , I don't know why any FAA licensed pilot want to build time in Copa. I flew there and most of the ex regional FOs are back in the states. Some went to JetBlue or Southwest.
I suggest monitoring the tone of the pilot "union" regarding foreigners... As we don't matter except for data to achieve their purposes...
That rumor about Copa hiring 500 HR FAA pilots also pissed off union members given the recent failed negotiations with the company.
Not all is shiny and glossy like the 737 PR pictures...

What is the average pay for an FO flying regional? Do you know anything about regionals or majors offering Sponsorship Programs for qualified FOs?

chitolin
2nd Apr 2017, 13:44
What is the average pay for an FO flying regional? Do you know anything about regionals or majors offering Sponsorship Programs for qualified FOs?

Airline pilot Central will give you an idea of regional pay in the US. Some will give you bonuses if you are qualified, some will help you use those bonuses towards meeting your minimum hours, none will offer visa sponsorship though

gustywings
2nd Apr 2017, 14:00
With regionals hiring with decent bonuses , I don't know why any FAA licensed pilot want to build time in Copa. I flew there and most of the ex regional FOs are back in the states. Some went to JetBlue or Southwest.
I suggest monitoring the tone of the pilot "union" regarding foreigners... As we don't matter except for data to achieve their purposes...
That rumor about Copa hiring 500 HR FAA pilots also pissed off union members given the recent failed negotiations with the company.
Not all is shiny and glossy like the 737 PR pictures...

Sorry to mention it again, but that means they are or aren`t hiring people with FAA and 500h?

One more question: If you hold a FAA license, do you still need to show ICAO english?

chitolin
3rd Apr 2017, 12:59
Sorry to mention it again, but that means they are or aren`t hiring people with FAA and 500h?

One more question: If you hold a FAA license, do you still need to show ICAO english?

500 hrs does not min requirements, so no. FAA license shows "english proficient", so I guess that will do. But I think they will need to test you there as well...

737seeker
4th Apr 2017, 08:16
does anyone has tel. no. of Copa HRD ? my application via email returned only auto reply. the online application platform not letting me progress because of some internet security feature. i tried almost every possible solution. it didn't work.

also, do they accept applications non-Spanish speakers ?

expecting to be laid off in few months. desperately hunting for the next job. any help very much appreciated

GcitoG
8th Apr 2017, 22:10
does anyone has tel. no. of Copa HRD ? my application via email returned only auto reply. the online application platform not letting me progress because of some internet security feature. i tried almost every possible solution. it didn't work.

also, do they accept applications non-Spanish speakers ?

expecting to be laid off in few months. desperately hunting for the next job. any help very much appreciated

If you did get an auto-reply, it means they have your email. I wouldn't bother trying to get ahold of them by phone, they are really busy during the pilot selection process. If you have the requirements, they will most probably get in touch with you soon enough as they seem to be needing quite a lot of pilots. Spanish does not seem to be a must-have because they have foreign pilots flying there. Good luck!

GcitoG
8th Apr 2017, 22:12
Does anyone know what to expect for the psychological evaluation with the Local Aviation Authority? Thanks for any inputs!

JetSyndrome30
15th May 2017, 15:57
To the guys that went through the screening process. Upon successful completion, what is usually the next step and how long it takes?

GcitoG
16th May 2017, 22:58
To the guys that went through the screening process. Upon successful completion, what is usually the next step and how long it takes?

The average I've heard of is that it takes about 2 months for the entire screening process to end from the first invitation to the final job offer. The screening process consists of:

Phase 1: Compass Test / HR Interview
Phase 2: Simulator / Polygraph
Phase 3: Skype English Evalaluation / AAC Psych Test

They are extremely busy processing probably thousands of applications for a large number of needed pilots.

Once you are cleared you receive the job offer and can expect a 4 to 5 months training period before you are done with the IOE.

Best of luck!

JetSyndrome30
17th May 2017, 00:14
Ok, so upon successful completion of those tests, comes the job offer and that can be two months later?
Also, what did you guys use to prepare for the screening process- COMPASS and general knowledge tests?

GcitoG
17th May 2017, 15:21
Ok, so upon successful completion of those tests, comes the job offer and that can be two months later?
Also, what did you guys use to prepare for the screening process- COMPASS and general knowledge tests?

The job offer comes and depending on how well they coordinate your paperwork, they may give you as early as 7-10 days before you have to leave for PTY. Sometimes more...

For the Compass Test, the most useful one I think is the one available from latestpilotjobs.com

For the general knowledge test, they seem to have their own question bank but I'd recommend you use ASA ATPL Prepware.

JetSyndrome30
17th May 2017, 15:26
Thank you very much!

NandoSB
24th May 2017, 15:39
Has anyone been invited to the process without been flying for more than 12 months? It's been 3 years for me.

casablanca
25th May 2017, 03:36
Most airlines accept FAA English Proficient as a 4.... you will be required to do an English test within 3 years? From date received certificate.

pedromurtha
4th Jul 2017, 01:30
Has anyone been invited to the process without been flying for more than 12 months? It's been 3 years for me.

As you have no flights in the last 24 months, I think they expect you to perform a flight review.

pedromurtha
4th Jul 2017, 01:32
Most airlines accept FAA English Proficient as a 4.... you will be required to do an English test within 3 years? From date received certificate.

Copa is hiring expats with Level 5 as minimum.

hi777
4th Jul 2017, 17:35
They seem quite desperate, called me 2 times and send me 6 email since 3 weeks...

chitolin
7th Jul 2017, 22:17
They seem quite desperate, called me 2 times and send me 6 email since 3 weeks...

you can always reply to the email and Say No. worked for me

EzimEz
17th Jul 2017, 18:37
Hey guys, maybe someone could help me. I would appreciate it.

I'm trying to apply for copa as an first officer, but I just received one email with the application and sent it back. I'm already waiting 3 weeks, but still no confirmation of receiption of my documents nor any other feedback.

I have around 1500 hours on the 737 NG and speak as well basic spanisch.

Any ideas?

Full IFR
24th Jul 2017, 15:48
Hey guys, maybe someone could help me. I would appreciate it.

I'm trying to apply for copa as an first officer, but I just received one email with the application and sent it back. I'm already waiting 3 weeks, but still no confirmation of receiption of my documents nor any other feedback.

I have around 1500 hours on the 737 NG and speak as well basic spanisch.

Any ideas?
Do you have icao 5 or 6? If yes try again

etiquetanegra
28th Jul 2017, 21:09
Hi, can anyone give me a hand on how to pass the poly test? I'm going to Panama for interviews, test, etc next week! Thanks.

Schumacherl
28th Jul 2017, 23:57
Do they are now accepting ICAO 4 as minimum requirement?

Lepo
29th Jul 2017, 00:19
Hi, can anyone give me a hand on how to pass the poly test? I'm going to Panama for interviews, test, etc next week! Thanks.

There's no way to help you on the polygraph.

They're going to ask you several questions about your life and you must answer them honestly.

All answers are yes or no.

etiquetanegra
29th Jul 2017, 18:19
There's no way to help you on the polygraph.

They're going to ask you several questions about your life and you must answer them honestly.

All answers are yes or no.

Ok, got it!

My concern is because I read that 90% fails on the poly test and only 10% on the rest of the tests. Do you know any of those questions and what should I expect?

And also, any advice on how to succeed on this process will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Lepo
29th Jul 2017, 18:32
Ok, got it!

My concern is because I read that 90% fails on the poly test and only 10% on the rest of the tests. Do you know any of those questions and what should I expect?

And also, any advice on how to succeed on this process will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Don't know if those figures are correct, but I seriously doubt it. If people fail a lot it's because they lie a lot.

Questions about the polygraph are related to drugs, alcohol, problems with the police/justice, if your flight experience is real, if you lied during the interview and etc. It's uncomfortable because they place a bunch of electrodes on your body and you sit on an armchair faced to the wall while answering the questions, so you feel I little bit like a criminal, but the questions are really no big deal and all yes or no answers.

For the rest of the process, I'd highly recommend you buying the preparation package at latestpilotjobs.com and study through it.

Schumacherl
29th Jul 2017, 21:59
Don't know if those figures are correct, but I seriously doubt it. If people fail a lot it's because they lie a lot.

Questions about the polygraph are related to drugs, alcohol, problems with the police/justice, if your flight experience is real, if you lied during the interview and etc. It's uncomfortable because they place a bunch of electrodes on your body and you sit on an armchair faced to the wall while answering the questions, so you feel I little bit like a criminal, but the questions are really no big deal and all yes or no answers.

For the rest of the process, I'd highly recommend you buying the preparation package at latestpilotjobs.com and study through it.

Do you know if they are now accepting ICAO 4 as minimum?

etiquetanegra
30th Jul 2017, 00:03

Yeah, me neither, it's something that I read, rumors... but worried me a lot!

I really need the job so, going through an unknown process that I never did before it's what worries me the most.

Thanks for the info regarding the questions! That calms me down and also the prep at latestpilotjobs, I just bought it!

Well, thanks my friend! Keep it up.

Lepo
30th Jul 2017, 17:19
Do you know if they are now accepting ICAO 4 as minimum?

For expats minimum is ICAO 5.

Rrf88
1st Aug 2017, 13:41
Yeah, me neither, it's something that I read, rumors... but worried me a lot!

I really need the job so, going through an unknown process that I never did before it's what worries me the most.

Thanks for the info regarding the questions! That calms me down and also the prep at latestpilotjobs, I just bought it!

Well, thanks my friend! Keep it up.

Are you in Panamá or going to this week? If yes, tell us how many guys are with you during the process? Where they came from and I will send you a whatsapp group that is a list of guys that have done it recently.

Far Canel
2nd Aug 2017, 04:52
Are they accepting ICAO CPL/Australian Licence?
Cheers

etiquetanegra
7th Aug 2017, 00:14
Are you in Panamá or going to this week? If yes, tell us how many guys are with you during the process? Where they came from and I will send you a whatsapp group that is a list of guys that have done it recently.

Sorry, I just read this.
I was in Panamá this past week...

Everything it's just like whats on latestpilotjobs you can prepare the advance compas test, and have an idea of what the interview/poly test are gonna be.

This is what we gotta do on sim.
Frasca sim, flying Seneca II. Dont even worry about this, you can even fly it as its a single engine. What they are looking for is ifr nav/procedures.
MDSD rwy 17. Take off and intercept 170r outbound (almost runway heading) and climb to 3000.
4nm arc (right or left) with your HSI, but you can be checking your RMI. Cross 90 radials and thats it.
Then, vector for ILS. They vector you to a point around 2nm before the FAF and descent to 2000. On DA go around and shoot a missed approach as instructed by ATC. Do a holding and then CAVOK! So VFR landing on rwy 35.

They can not do ir easier, I have nothing to say about their screening. In addition, really nice hotel for you to rest and study. Good restaurant with lunch and dinner included. Transportation always on time. Everything as schedule. So prepare your self and good luck!!!!

MetalGear
7th Aug 2017, 20:36
"Good afternoon,

Thanks for sending us your updated documentation for First Officer position.

We notify you that we are currently recruiting candidates from America.

If there is a change on the part of the Recruitment Committee we will inform you.

Saludos
Pilot Selection"

FYI

EzimEz
9th Aug 2017, 14:28
Do you have icao 5 or 6? If yes try again

Yes, ICAO 6. Wilco. Thanks

ozeas
9th Aug 2017, 16:37
hello,
I just have my interview booked for next week, could anybody tell me about the atpl questions if is it the same as lpj?

ozeas
12th Aug 2017, 02:58
Sorry, I just read this.
I was in Panamá this past week...

Everything it's just like whats on latestpilotjobs you can prepare the advance compas test, and have an idea of what the interview/poly test are gonna be.

This is what we gotta do on sim.
Frasca sim, flying Seneca II. Dont even worry about this, you can even fly it as its a single engine. What they are looking for is ifr nav/procedures.
MDSD rwy 17. Take off and intercept 170r outbound (almost runway heading) and climb to 3000.
4nm arc (right or left) with your HSI, but you can be checking your RMI. Cross 90 radials and thats it.
Then, vector for ILS. They vector you to a point around 2nm before the FAF and descent to 2000. On DA go around and shoot a missed approach as instructed by ATC. Do a holding and then CAVOK! So VFR landing on rwy 35.

They can not do ir easier, I have nothing to say about their screening. In addition, really nice hotel for you to rest and study. Good restaurant with lunch and dinner included. Transportation always on time. Everything as schedule. So prepare your self and good luck!!!!

Could you give me some feedback about the atpl questions if is the same as lpj??

etiquetanegra
21st Aug 2017, 14:33
Could you give me some feedback about the atpl questions if is the same as lpj??

Hi there,

Sure I can, in fact, a bit more than just feedback. Take a look at this (Spanish translation).

Good luck there!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/owl85o1wgh1zhr9/File%208-21-17%2C%2011%2032%2018.jpeg?dl=0

arturow
25th Aug 2017, 16:28
" Sure I can, in fact, a bit more than just feedback. Take a look at this (Spanish translation).

Good luck there!"

Hi there,
am interested in taking the test in a few months, and i was searching for some other questions besides the ones in the ATPL and found this forum but can't find the link you shared for the LPG.
No previous experience at all in aviation, am looking into applying for the flying academy.

etiquetanegra
27th Aug 2017, 21:46
" Sure I can, in fact, a bit more than just feedback. Take a look at this (Spanish translation).

Good luck there!"

Hi there,
am interested in taking the test in a few months, and i was searching for some other questions besides the ones in the ATPL and found this forum but can't find the link you shared for the LPG.
No previous experience at all in aviation, am looking into applying for the flying academy.

I don't know why, but it didn't uploaded the pic that I sent with all the Q&A. PM me with your email and I will send it.

I don't know their flight academy open positions rather than flight instructor... What you are looking for, to do flight training or work as a flight instructor?

arturow
4th Sep 2017, 18:21
I don't know why, but it didn't uploaded the pic that I sent with all the Q&A. PM me with your email and I will send it.

I don't know their flight academy open positions rather than flight instructor... What you are looking for, to do flight training or work as a flight instructor?
Sorry i can't DM since my accout seems to not have enough privileges. If you could DM me i'd be happy to reply.

Am interested in flight trainning to become commercial airline pilot.
I've been reading that the academy requires a previous test known as Compass with some basic knowledge but not sure how to get prepared for the ATPL

HigorLopes
12th Sep 2017, 21:44
Someone know if the copa is requiring the ICAO level 4 again?
this information is correct?

Lepo
13th Sep 2017, 11:06
Someone know if the copa is requiring the ICAO level 4 again?
this information is correct?

Yes they are, but an additional english evaluation will be required during the screening process for those with ICAO 4.

Pedro Andrade
18th Sep 2017, 15:15
Hello everyone!

I have an unrestricted ICAO class one medical certificate but i know that a have a litlle colorblind problem, i fail in some Ishihara test plates.
Does anyone know if it will be a problem for me in the medical exams?

Thaks!

marcellocr
1st Dec 2017, 20:45
Hi everyone,

I just sent all the documents that they ask 4 days ago and haven't heard off them. Anyone has been invited recently for a interview?

thanks!

chitolin
2nd Dec 2017, 14:37
Hi everyone,

I just sent all the documents that they ask 4 days ago and haven't heard off them. Anyone has been invited recently for a interview?

thanks!

November is pretty much a national holiday in Panama. Give it time.

GcitoG
22nd Dec 2017, 22:47
Hi everyone,

thanks!

They are interviewing pilots on a weekly basis and have thousands of applicants from all over the world coming in for interviews. If you get an immediate reply, you're probably lucky! It's tough but you have to be patient. At some point you'll hear from them and chances are if you meet the requirements, they'll set up a date for the assessments as soon as there is a spot available for it. Good luck!

pedex
3rd Jan 2018, 01:17
Hi Everyone,

I am a Panamanian/US dual citizen currently working on my private pilot in the states and am in Panama on Vacation with Family. Anyone in town at all between Jan 3rd and Jan 6th that wants to grab a beer? My goal is to eventually move back to Panama and make copa a career for about 5-7 years before I head back to the states. My cousin and a few friends are going out for drinks at Casco Viejo on Saturday the 6th.

Hope someone that works at COPA can make it as it would be awesome to network!!!

Pedro

marcellocr
12th Jan 2018, 09:56
They are interviewing pilots on a weekly basis and have thousands of applicants from all over the world coming in for interviews. If you get an immediate reply, you're probably lucky! It's tough but you have to be patient. At some point you'll hear from them and chances are if you meet the requirements, they'll set up a date for the assessments as soon as there is a spot available for it. Good luck!

Still waiting for their response :{:{
Thank you guys!

learjet2011
12th Jan 2018, 23:23
hi,

I will appriciate if someone wants to share a feedback (public or private) about the ATP topics/chapters most of the questions are based on.

[email protected]

thank you!

bafanguy
13th Jan 2018, 20:27
They are interviewing pilots on a weekly basis and have thousands of applicants from all over the world coming in for interviews.

That's encouraging news in light of all the talk about a worldwide pilot shortage.

canadianpilot514
13th Apr 2018, 18:04
any updates on the hiring process at COPA? just applied today and got this email literally one hour after:

Dear xxx,

We have received your documents. We will contact you when we are ready to invite you.

Thank you for your interest in being part of the Copa Airlines family.

Best Regards,

PILOT SELECTION

do you know how long they take to ''contact you'' ?