PDA

View Full Version : Latest Airbus offer to easyJet

regor
2nd Apr 2002, 18:11
Latest rumour, about the ongoing race to be easyJet's supplier of their next 75 A/C.

Heard that Airbus have offered to exchange EZY's 737-700 fleet with A319's. The exchange would include the remaining aircraft still to be delivered by Boeing.

Obviously, this exchange is dependant on EZY buying lots of shiny new A319's as well. It is Airbus's answer to ensure fleet commonality.

How does that make the Boeing die hards at EZY feel?

Airbus must be desperate to win this order!

Does anyone know any more about this?

My source reckons EZY will announce their decision in the next two weeks.

In trim
2nd Apr 2002, 18:47
Hadn't heard that one, but doesn't altogether surprise me. Airbus really want this order.....all the European low-cost 737 operators know easyJet have carried out a good, thorough study of the two options, and if easy come down in favour of more 737's it will probably close the door for other similar operators wanting to talk to Airbus for a few years.

If on the other hand Airbus win the order, other operators may obviously be more open to start doing their own assessment of a different aircraft type rather than continue to accept the 737 as the 'staple diet' of low-cost operations.

Airbus know this is very much make-or-break.

crossfeedclosed
2nd Apr 2002, 20:38
Airbus must be desperate to get one of the low fare airlines now that Ryanair used them to frighten Boeing into what O'Leary has called a deal that raped Boeing. It has to mean Easy are in the driving seat on this one with Airbus.

LN-MOW
2nd Apr 2002, 22:21
Well, Boeing did the same thing with Singapore and are now sitting with 9(?) A340-300's they need to get rid of. Swiss reportedly was close to taking them, but chose new aircrafts. Which indicates that Airbus is pricing their aircrafts quite aggressively right now.
Airbus wants in on the European no-frill market - it's no surprise to me that they attempt such an exchange deal.
But what will Airbus do with the 737's they get from EZY? Swap them with Boeing's A340's??? :D

E cam
2nd Apr 2002, 22:37
" Ryanair used them to frighten Boeing into what O'Leary has called a deal that raped Boeing. It has to mean Easy are in the driving seat on this one with Airbus."

Most rapists have the decency not to boast about it!!!

outofsynch
3rd Apr 2002, 07:01
GO are evaluating both types too, so who knows, there could be a big swing in the Airbus direction if the price is right! Ryanair could have 733's coming out there ears!:p

Roobarb
3rd Apr 2002, 07:21
Will GO require full Cat IIIb? :D
http://www.80scartoons.8k.com/roobarb3wee.gif

Knold
3rd Apr 2002, 07:53
What good is "a good, thorough study" if you don't do like the result of the study says?

I wonder how Airbus would do if the EU subsidary didn't exist?

rubik101
3rd Apr 2002, 08:42
I guess Knold means 'subsidy'.
Does he know that the Boeing entity is kept afloat by the money it receives from the US gov't for military research and hardware? If the accounts were done seperately and published as such the commercil A/C division would probably be seen to have not made a profit for twenty years.
So don't talk to us about subsidies!
I hope GO do take the A320/319 route, then Easy and Ryan will have another 30 737's to scrap over!!
And welcome to them.

Capt H Peacock
3rd Apr 2002, 08:49
Hear, hear. When Uncle Sam goes blind in one eye, he really goes blind in one eye.

jetstar1965
3rd Apr 2002, 20:17
The anti Boeing and Ryanair propoganda on Prune gets really dull. You sound like a BBC correspondent. Tell us something new for a change!:mad:

Whalerider
3rd Apr 2002, 20:25
ANTI BOEING AND AIRBUS - I DON'T THINK SO - BUT WHO STARTED THIS ? BOEING HAS LIVED WITH HIDDEN SUBSIDIES FOR YEARS. IT WAS THE U.S. WHICH STARTED THE "WE WANT FAIR COMPETION - BUT NOT IN OUR OWN BACK YARD". IT IS RIFE IN EVERY ASPECT OF AVIATION - AND OTHER FIELDS. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Whalerider
3rd Apr 2002, 20:31
BY THE WAY JETSTAR - AND IT GOES AGAINST THE GRAIN TO DEFEND THE BBC - BUT AT LEAST THEY REPORT WORLD NEWS - MOST OF YOUR COUNTRYMEN DON'T EVEN KNOW THERE IS A WORLD OUTSIDE YOUR BORDERS !

Wino
4th Apr 2002, 02:20
How do you figure that Boeing gets more Military than Airbus? The Airbus partners have more than twice the govenment military procure dollars spent there!

So I will concede that Boeing gets military dollars, but only half as much as Airbus gets, or has everyone forgotten about the Typhoon, Rafeal, A400, Arianne, etc... Talk about a blind eye!

Cheers
Wino

moist
4th Apr 2002, 06:14
Roobarb

Shouldn't you be on some late arriving flight, instead of posting things on PPRUNE???????

Knold
4th Apr 2002, 06:34
rubik101 Sorry for the bad spelling...

Whalerider Either you've got a really bad attitude or you've forgot to turn off the CAPS LOCK. Do something about whichever it is!

I think Wino has a good point. :cool:

Dutchie
4th Apr 2002, 06:48
Competition is a funny thing:

How much European Hardware is there in the US Airforce and how much the other way around...

Airbus was always the laughing stock for the Seattle err Chicago plane people. But as soon as they became bigger they started about subsidies etc...

They want an open skies in Europe but do not allow flights within the states, they do want wetleases all over Europe but not within their own countries.. ;)

And talking about metal... they close an open market (steel) because they are losing because they are too expensive...

Yep great countrie for competition the US is.. :rolleyes:

Back to the topic.. Difficult choice: an aircraft based on an airframe designed for the 707 with some new avionics (bit like a VW beetle of 1955 with a new dashboard ;) ) or an aircraft designed from top to bottom with the latest technology available at that time.. (and even that was few years ago..)

Go for the 319 and give the 737-700 to another start up to create more jobs I would suggest :o

Tom the Tenor
4th Apr 2002, 07:37
Leased Boeing 767 Air Refuelling Tankers for the U.S.A.F. Who will want them when the leases are up - nice little stunt subsidy there from the Washington politicians for Boeing. The wheeling & dealing cuts both ways - nothing new.

Dutchie
4th Apr 2002, 08:23
And while we went us bassing: ;)

US State Dpt bristles at EC's 'airline subsidy' charge
Karen Walker, Washington DC (03Apr02, 21:42 GMT, 367 words)

European threats to take action against US airlines because they have received government financial support since the 11 September attacks “send a bad signal”, says a US State Department official.

The European Commission (EC) has said it plans to pursue litigation that would allow it to impose fines on airlines from non European Union (EU) countries it believes are carrying out unfair practices stemming from government support.

Although bankrupt Swissair, which has been able to re-launch as Swiss partly because of Swiss government aid, has been highlighted as a possible target because Switzerland is not an EU member, the chief aim of the legislation is believed to be US airlines that compete in the transatlantic market.

Congress last year granted US airlines $5 billion in cash compensation following the 11 September terrorist attacks because the FAA grounded all US operations for four days immediately after the attacks. Federal-backed loan guarantees of up to $10 billion are also available to US airlines struggling to recover from the impact of the attacks.

The move by the EC to possibly penalize airlines that have benefited from those funds has shocked US government and industry officials and drawn protests from the US Air Transport Association (ATA).

Speaking last week at the American Bar Association’s air and space law forum in Washington DC, US State Department deputy assistant secretary for transportation affairs John Byerly said: “We think it’s a bad idea. It sends a bad signal. We take the view that what America did was to protect itself after an extraordinary set of events. If we are not careful, we will be getting into a nasty debate, which we don’t need right now, into alleged subsidies.”

In particular, Byerly criticizes EC transport commissioner Loyola de Palacio for making what he describes as “unhelpful comments” about this issue being a “useful bargaining chip” against the USA.

Says Byerly: “We just don’t like this and it won’t help relations between the USA and the EU to become closer.”

Virgin Atlantic Airways general manager, legal, Hugh Ford, defended the EC’s stance. “We do see an impact because it’s a benefit being granted to people with whom we compete. It has an effect internationally,” he said.

Source: Air Transport Intelligence news

Bmused55
4th Apr 2002, 08:45
As a simple passenger I have only one thing to say about all this.

If it ain't boeing, I ain't going.

------------------------
Alex R.
New to this area:)

sir
4th Apr 2002, 09:17
Why, Bemused ?

What's gonna happen to you ?!!

:confused:

As a European I'd be actually quite proud to see Airbus get the order, and I like to see healthy competition.

As a passenger I couldn't give two hoots about what equipment I'm travelling on. Just get me there in one piece and on time. Oh and don't charge me too much either.

But please don't anyone get too sanctimonious about subsidies and the like, because regardless of how it is buried or disguised, both the US and the EU continue to exercise all kinds of backstabbing nefarious policies - not limited by any means to aviation.

sir

--

Despite our great technical advances, humanity as a whole remains pathetically small. We build clever airplanes and complex television receivers. We allow wholesale slaughter and starvation of others in our species. At once brilliant and stupid, the human is the greatest living paradox.

Bob Down
4th Apr 2002, 09:31
Bmused55

If you have nothing useful to contribute, don't bother and return to your computer games.

Competition is good for all, the manufacturers, airlines and paying public alike. Monopolies are economically bad, especially for the end user.

Think of the publicity Stelios will be able to get for being the first to break the mold, though. The thought is too much.

Tricky Woo
4th Apr 2002, 09:49
Er, doesn't BAE Systems have a whopping big slice of the Joint Strike Fighter pie?

Ditto Rolls Royce.

TW

Bmused55
4th Apr 2002, 10:01
sir and Bob down

Just displaying a personal preference.
And why bmused,.... long story.
Checkout www.bmused-design.co.uk for the answer.

I'm in favour for competition, I readily welcome it.
It just I feel alot more safer seating on a seat bolted to a boeing aircraft than I do Airbus.

At least Boeing aircraft don't argue over the landing with their pilots.

Long live the 737 in all its guises.

The Airbus, in particular the 319,20,21 and the spanking new 18 models are fine aircraft.
And one cannot deny the grace of the 340!

In the end, Boeing in my view make better aircraft.

AR

Blowchowski
4th Apr 2002, 10:23
SAA order: B772 $128m, A332 $88m

:mad:

Brenoch
4th Apr 2002, 15:01
I recon this is a perfect opportunity to flash my new motto.. :D:D:D

Neo
4th Apr 2002, 17:27
Bmused55 - are you a member of the Times Insight Team? You show about as much knowledge.

Airbus 32* are more comfortable than the 737 as they have an inch more shoulder room per seat, and a smidge more legroom at max certificated seating.

And as for "arguing with the pilot about landing". Just reassure us you're not giving up your day job!

Wirraway
4th Apr 2002, 18:58
It's not just easyJet looking, Virgin Blue looks like it is on the same
track for 40 Airbus a320s, check out the article from yesterdays
(Thurs) "The West Australian" Click here for the article (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49146)

Wirraway

rubik101
5th Apr 2002, 17:05
I thought we had this argument about which is the better A/C about fifteen years ago. The answer has to be that there is a trend toward more Airbus and less Boeings, hence the argument is moot. Unless Boeing bring out a 'new' aircraft soon to replace the 737 then this trend will undoubtedly continue. Residual values on the Airbus beat the Boeing hands down so the accountants rule and we buy Airbus, simple really.
Who thinks that Ariane has anything to do with Airbus? Not when I last looked, completely separate entity.
Over the life of each 'Corporation', the US company has probably been given ten times the subsidy that Airbus has recieved. Remember also that each time the Governments have 'loaned' start up money, or launch money to Airbus, it has been repaid, albeit with unrealistic rates of interest. When was the last, or first, time that Boeing repaid any money to the US Gov't?
GO get 'em!

gpilot
6th Apr 2002, 13:32
All this investment in new aircraft by EZY... and base at LGW with low cost seats.
Now doesn't that sound just like Air Europe.... Dan Air.... ???:eek: :confused:

Mr Orange
6th Apr 2002, 14:59
The only similarities I see are Gatwick & Low Cost. Completely different business plan. What do you see gpilot?

Let's hope not they don't go the same way as Dan Air & Air Europe. I have a mortgage resting on the continued success of EZY. :rolleyes: :eek:

EXCIN
8th Apr 2002, 09:16
I'm type-rated on both the 737 and A320. I flew the 737-300/400 and 737-800 and A319/320/321.
So I can compare all these aircraft. I'm sick of all those 'pilots' who never saw an A320 from close or flew one and giving their opinion about the flying qualities of this beautiful machine.
My choice : Airbus A320.
Both the 737 and A320 are nice to fly but take a closer look to the cockpit and you know why I prefer the A320. This a a nice ergonomic cockpit where you have place to put your pilot-case without ruin it, where you can eat your meal without that stupid and big control wheel in just front of you (or in your meal while the aircraft is turning).
Fly-by-Wire ? Never had the feeling that I was not flying the airplane. The Concorde (analog) has it, the 777 has it, the Tu-204 has it and most military aircraft today has it.
The A320 has a cockpit where you can talk to eachother without yelling. Ever flew a 737-800 at M.79 ? Never heard so much wind-noice in a cockpit. Lot's of pilots at our company flew with ANR headsets !!
The 737 is designed in the 60's and you can see it !!

panda-k-bear
8th Apr 2002, 16:36
EXCIN, thanks for a balanced view.... At last someone who has one, rather than a flightsim freak.

Blowchowski, since SAA didn't buy any A332s (nor any B772s, for that matter), what is your point?:)