PDA

View Full Version : 2 yearly instructor hour

Echo Romeo
4th Apr 2012, 13:29
I need to do this in the next couple of months, and I want to do it in my own aircraft which is a permit taildragger, question is; does said instructor need to hold tailwheel endorsment ?

Genghis the Engineer
4th Apr 2012, 13:47
I believe so, otherwise they can't be PiC.

I'm sure there are people closer to you (nearest I'm normally close to Oakham would be Cranfield), but I'd be happy to do it if you want somebody happy in a permit Auster (taking that from your profile as what you're after).

G

S-Works
4th Apr 2012, 14:54
Yes they do. I am ten minutes away from you if you want it doing.

As an examiner I can the paperwork part as well.

Drop me a pm.

taybird
4th Apr 2012, 15:03
I've PM'd you...

Echo Romeo
4th Apr 2012, 18:59
Thanks for offers etc. It's just that a friend of mine who is a newly qualified FI had offered, but since he doesn't have a tailwheel endorsement I guess it rules him out. Bose, thanks I'll probably be in touch.

Bad_Wolf
4th Apr 2012, 19:04
I'm 2 minutes away (and that's walking). Happy to help if needed.

S-Works
4th Apr 2012, 19:12
A newly qualified Fi would not be able to do it anyway as they need to be supervised until they are unrestricted. They can't just go out and free lance.......

Anyway, ER you know where I am.

Duchess_Driver
5th Apr 2012, 14:40
As others point out your friend needs to be supervised and needs to have the difference to be able to teach the difference ..... more to the point, as part of the FI course he should know that he can't do it! :ugh:

DD

P.S. I'm further away and couldn't do it as I don't have differences for wheels in the wrong place!

(Standing by for incoming!)

Genghis the Engineer
5th Apr 2012, 17:14
Where are you supposed to put the tailwheel then DD?

G

(Always happy to return a favour and do your tailwheel if we can ever find something that I can legally teach you in.)

Echo Romeo
5th Apr 2012, 17:16
You mean wheels in the right place surely, ''sorry had to'':p

Your right I think there was some confusion somewhere!

Duchess_Driver
5th Apr 2012, 19:55
I never questioned the positioning of the tailwheel - I just pointed out that the wheel is in the wrong place! :)

Need to sort something out, soonish, I suppose G! I do feel somewhat disadvantaged at times. :ok: Let me know when the magnetos are back on line and we'll sort out a jolly.

Genghis the Engineer
5th Apr 2012, 20:49
Need to sort something out, soonish, I suppose G! I do feel somewhat disadvantaged at times. :ok: Let me know when the magnetos are back on line and we'll sort out a jolly.

Wilco, hopefully only a couple of weeks away.

G

timzsta
17th Apr 2012, 11:58
only an examiner can do the bi-annual flight review as it has to be signed off in your license by an examiner. You will end up having to do it again if you do it with an FI. Happened to a friend of mine, presented his logbook to CFI who made him do the flight again.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2012, 12:07
only an examiner can do the bi-annual flight review as it has to be signed off in your license by an examiner. You will end up having to do it again if you do it with an FI. Happened to a friend of mine, presented his logbook to CFI who made him do the flight again.

Your profile says UK, your words are semi-informed USA.

It is not a BFR, it is a biennial flight with an instructor. An FI (unrestricted) or CRI can do the flight, an examiner is only required to sign the licence.

G

Pitch+Power
17th Apr 2012, 13:27
An FI (unrestricted)

unrestricted - really ?

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2012, 13:53
I thought that an FI(R) couldn't? Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, as I'm sure would Bose-X, who I took a lead from.

Yes, not a legal term :8

G

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2012, 15:15
A newly qualified Fi would not be able to do it anyway as they need to be supervised until they are unrestricted. They can't just go out and free lance.......

Anyway, ER you know where I am.

Come to think of it - are you sure Bose? I know that a full FI or a CRI can do this, but are you sure that an FI(R) can't do the biennial flight with an instructor. I think that they can, they just need to be supervised in their work by an FI? The OP's chum may well be thus supervised.

But he still needs a tailwheel sign-off of course.

G

Duchess_Driver
17th Apr 2012, 16:10
Just to clarify...

A restricted FI (we're talking UK here) can do an 'hour with' for the purposes of revalidation of a SEP rating provided he is working under the supervision of an unrestricted FI under the banner of an approved organization. He can only do so if he holds appropriate differences signatures for the differences found on the SEP type in question and is suitably experienced on that type.

There are other questions about whether he could do it on a permit aircraft.

DD

S-Works
17th Apr 2012, 16:19
Come to think of it - are you sure Bose? I know that a full FI or a CRI can do this, but are you sure that an FI(R) can't do the biennial flight with an instructor.

I am quite sure that in the context of the question that I am correct. I did not say that they can't conduct the flight. Just unless the FI(R) is supervised they can't do it. An FI(R) can't go out and freelance, they have to have a supervising FI in an approved training organisation.

This means the flight will need to be conducted from the approved organisations base and in accordance with the Operations Manual/Flying Order book etc.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2012, 17:15
What of course nobody actually asked, and the OP may not know, is whether the OP's chum is supervised by an FI within a flying school somewhere. He may well be of course.

G

S-Works
17th Apr 2012, 17:22
I realise that Genghis, but one could assume that someone offering to help a mate out was probably not going it through a flying school and may well have been planning to just jump in and go. I merely clarified the requirements that unless they were supervised they could not do it as an FI(R) is unable to free lance........

We are slipping into pedantry here over an interpretation of the original post!!!

So lets just leave it that the FI(R) must be supervised, that they must hold a tailwheel rating to carry out the flight in a tailwheel aircraft and that an FI(R) is not able to go out and freelance?

Genghis the Engineer
17th Apr 2012, 17:30
So lets just leave it that the FI(R) must be supervised, that they must hold a tailwheel rating to carry out the flight in a tailwheel aircraft and that an FI(R) is not able to go out and freelance?

I agree with you there entirely.

Just to clarify...

A restricted FI (we're talking UK here) can do an 'hour with' for the purposes of revalidation of a SEP rating provided he is working under the supervision of an unrestricted FI under the banner of an approved organization. He can only do so if he holds appropriate differences signatures for the differences found on the SEP type in question and is suitably experienced on that type.

There are other questions about whether he could do it on a permit aircraft.

DD

Indeed!

The legal document (for joint owned aeroplanes) is here:http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_803.pdf

Whilst it appears to permit this sort of flying, quite happily, within a club environment - there is the minor difficulty that all instruction on jointly owned Permit aircraft seems to have become illegal last week because CAA haven't re-issued the document.

If it's sole-owned by the person being instructed, there's really no difference between that and a CofA aeroplane, even if you have to wade through about a dozen different documents to prove that.

G

Echo Romeo
17th Apr 2012, 18:34
Just to clarify, yes he works at a flying school and is therefore supervised, but doesn't have the tailwheel sign off.

S-Works
17th Apr 2012, 18:37
Just to clarify, yes he works at a flying school and is therefore supervised, but doesn't have the tailwheel sign off.

But was your flight going to be through the flying school and directly supervised by the supervising FI? Just because he works for a flying school does not make him supervised unless operating the flight you planned through that flying school.

I know its a level of pedantry which is a pain in the ass!!

BillieBob
17th Apr 2012, 21:13
I need to do this in the next couple of months, and I want to do it in my own aircraft which is a permit taildragger, question is; does said instructor need to hold tailwheel endorsment ?Yes.
Thanks for offers etc. It's just that a friend of mine who is a newly qualified FI had offered, but since he doesn't have a tailwheel endorsement I guess it rules him out.Correct.

Errr... That's it.

ifitaintboeing
18th Apr 2012, 08:41
there is the minor difficulty that all instruction on jointly owned Permit aircraft seems to have become illegal last week because CAA haven't re-issued the document.

See ORS4 No.859 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_859.pdf) and ORS4 No.860 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/ORS4_860.pdf).

AIC W 001/2011 (http://www.ead.eurocontrol.int/eadbasic/pamslight-B9E08B025EF074F1404952480E6FA92A/7FE5QZZF3FXUS/EN/AIC/W/001-2011/EG_Circ_2011_W_001_en_2011-01-27.pdf) summarises what is permissible, although the references need to be updated to the above exemptions.

ifitaint...

Genghis the Engineer
18th Apr 2012, 09:47
Phew!

G

Echo Romeo
18th Apr 2012, 17:10
But was your flight going to be through the flying school and directly supervised by the supervising FI?

I assume so yes, I would have flown there and then conducted the flight from said flying school just down the road. But unless he gets his finger out and does his tailwheel training he'll miss the opportunity of an hour in a proper aeroplane :)