PDA

View Full Version : For QF to Overcome UK UPD - Change the Flight Numbers in SIN?

DrPepz
1st Apr 2012, 07:13
QF and BA pax travelling on same flight number services from Europe to Australia will have to pay the highest air passenger duty, as the APD is calculated based on the final destination of the plane from the UK.

So while EK pax will pay it to DXB, SQ pax will pay it to SIN, and QF pax who change to another QF flight in SIN will also just pay it to SIN.

Why don't QF and BA just swap flight numbers in SIN, and indicate QF1/2 as flights that terminate in SIN. Then all their pax will only have to pay the duty to SIN and not beyond.

This is a highly unfair tax as we all know - EK pax flying LHR-DXB-SYD will pay the tax only on the LHR-DXB portion while QF pax on a QF2 service will pay the full tax to SYD.

Any regulatory problems with this solution for QF?

Keg
1st Apr 2012, 07:41
QF and BA pax travelling on same flight number services from Europe to Australia will have to pay the highest air passenger duty, as the APD is calculated based on the final destination of the plane from the UK.

I don't think that's quite right. I thought it was from the first port outside of Europe? Thus EK, Qatari, etc still have the competitive advantage by hubbing only 5-6 hours from Europe as opposed to Cathay, Thai, SQ, QF, JAL, etc who are all 12-14 hours from Europe but at least it's not based upon Sydney for QF.

ButFli
1st Apr 2012, 08:05
The tax is based on the passenger's entire journey. i.e. The distance from London to their final destination and not just to the destination of their first flight. The tax should be the same for all passengers travelling London to Sydney no matter which airline they fly, where the aircraft stops to refuel or whether the flight number changes or not.

The only way to have the tax calculated on the distance to the first flight only is where there is more than 24 hours between the scheduled arrival of the first flight and the scheduled departure of the second flight. Any shorter time is considered a connecting flight.

If people are really keen to avoid the tax they can always fly into LHR but take the Eurostar to Paris (or anywhere else in Europe) and fly back from there. Of course, if you're flying on Qantas you end up transiting through LHR again anway, but the tax doesn't apply to transit passengers.

Metro man
1st Apr 2012, 08:31
As far as I remember Air Passenger Duty is based on the entire journey including connecting flights if the connection is made within 24 hours.

Ways around paying are to buy separate non connecting tickets, have a stop over on the way or use an alternative such as Eurostar or Ferries to get out of the UK and then fly onwards.

Open jaw tickets are a worth considering as prices can be similar to or less than a normal return. Eg Paris - Your Destination - London.

Travel search engines should give you an idea of what works.

Air Passenger Duty (APD) - ABTA (http://www.abta.com/about/lobbying_and_government_affairs/air_passenger_duty)

Eastwest Loco
1st Apr 2012, 13:13
You can avoid the monster tax by taking for instance a LHR PAR or LHR FRA flight on a seperate ticket and only pay the EU half price shorthaul tax and then pickup an AF/QF codeshare ex PAR to SIN or the QF 6 to SIN.

The LON Europe leg should idealy be on a seperate ticket and provides a chance for a stopover at an extra destination.

BA are pretty cheap internally one way, and for the airlines with high oneways, we haf vays off making zem cheap!:E

Many ways to skin a badger but what a stupid move:ugh:

Just another way of gathering taxes that will most likely never see anything greenish - good thing in a way - just encourages the bastards.

Best all

EWL

mmciau
1st Apr 2012, 23:16
No to the UK Tax.

My wife and I flew Etihad MEL-AUH-DUB and return to avoid the UK Taxes.

Mike

Metro man
2nd Apr 2012, 03:02
BTW Changing in Singapore wouldn't help as it is in the same tax band as Sydney. You need to look for somewhere less than 2000 miles from London to pay the lowest rate.

Across the Atlantic, Aer Lingus with a stop over in Dublin or Shannon for a day on the way over and a connecting flight on the way back would be worth a look.

Many European cities are major air hubs with connections worldwide easily available.

Using your frequent flyer miles gives an idea of how bad the taxes are, just look at the additional charges to fly from LHR compared to other European cities. I came home from a recent holiday via Paris instead of Heathrow, saved a lot of money on the airfare and enjoyed some sight seeing.

Taildragger67
2nd Apr 2012, 04:13
Can just see any continental airport (eg. Paris, AMS, FRA etc.) rubbing their hands together with glee on this.

CDG & AF should be winners - have a few Eurostars pull into CDG each day (especially if they get together & offer combination fares) and they'd pull in the punters.