PDA

View Full Version : Book 5 and the IMC Rating

1800ed
27th Feb 2012, 18:42
Hi all, I'm planning on doing my IMC rating over the next few months and have a quick question regarding Book 5. The copy I have is rather old Trevor Thom, it says it's a second edition re-print dated 1998 and I was wondering if I should buy a more recent version?

S-Works
27th Feb 2012, 18:56
It's OK, the IMCr is even older!!

high wing harry
27th Feb 2012, 19:15
Make sure to take precautions that you don't lose the will to live as the first 200 pages teach you how to scan!

I think its out of print but see if you can get hold of a copy of David Hoy's "Instrument Flying" - a bit more aimed at the IR than the IMC but has all the basics you would need

Good luck!

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Feb 2012, 19:17
I did it recently with a 1980s copy. The instructor said "the instruments haven't changed, all that you'll get if you buy a new copy is that a few of the pictures will be in colour".

peterh337
27th Feb 2012, 19:25
I recall Book 5 being very poor. I did not use it much for the IMCR. It seems to have been put together by several different people, possibly after TT was no longer writing. I used some American IR books, and a lot of FS2000 time :)

1800ed
27th Feb 2012, 19:50
Thanks for the input - just thought there might have been some air law in there or RT which could have changed. Sounds like it will be a good read before bed...

madgav
28th Feb 2012, 15:38
I used the TT books (2003 issue) for the PPL and they were fine.
Using Book 5 for the IMCR though I found it comparatively poor and had to supplement my knowledge in some areas by reading other sources (mostly online).
Still got through the exam though with 96%
IMC confuser helped too :ok:
IMC skills test now imminent :uhoh:

2high2fastagain
28th Feb 2012, 20:03
1800ed

I've just finished the IMC and everyone is right about Book 5. I've PM'd you some of my thoughts.

beatnik
28th Feb 2012, 20:08
I bought David Hoy's "Instrument Flying" from Transair at Shoreham the other day - so it would seem to still be in print. (He doesn't take kindly to the IMC rating though!!)

1800ed
29th Feb 2012, 10:06
2high2fastagain: thanks - not sure if it sent though as I haven't received anything.

It seems that the confuser/simplifier books aren't in print anymore. They're probably reluctant to do another run with the current state of things.

2high2fastagain
29th Feb 2012, 10:33
Sorry about that.

Takeflight posted this a few years ago. I think it's quite useful

http://www.takeflightaviation.co.uk/imc_groundschool_course_notes.pdf

1800ed
29th Feb 2012, 10:42
That does look good - thanks for sharing :)

tmmorris
29th Feb 2012, 10:59
Also, if it's in print, I'd recommend 'VOR, ADF and RMI' - it helped me no end with understanding ADF tracking.

Tim

1800ed
1st Mar 2012, 09:35
Does anyone have an IMC Confuser they'd like to sell? Think they're pretty rare now.

Fuji Abound
1st Mar 2012, 10:22
I think it was the worst in the series when it was written and it hasnt improved with age.

Unfortunately I am not sure there is anything better on the market and in the present state of flux its unlikely anyone will be rushing out a new edition.

.. but I guess it is better than nothing.

2high2fastagain
2nd Mar 2012, 09:01
A few IMC confusers appear on ebay from time to time. I see there's been a few up for grabs in the last few weeks so you should have a look there, though one seller was having a joke at his starting price.

Not sure you are going to see any more new ones. If you trawl through the pprune archives, some prunes were saying that the author died a couple of years ago. Shame, a full IR confuser would have been nice.

There's still nothing better to consolidate your knowledge IMHO. Make sure you learn it all and then use the confusers to sharpen yourself up in preparation for the exam. The other obvious thing to do is to have a good hard look at the syllabus in Lasors. You'd be surprised how many people in all types of exams don't bother to check what they are going to be examined on.

strollerweb
18th Mar 2012, 18:03
I just passed the IMC theory and so have but my copy of confuser on ebay.

Like all the CAA exams I found the exam tries to catch you out with the wordy questions and similar sounding answers. First learn the material and then learn exam.

RedKnight
23rd Mar 2012, 12:20
Does anyone know where I can purchase an electronic (online) copy of either the IMC Confuser or the IMC Rating Question & Answer Simplifier?

Thank you in advance.

GeeWhizz
23rd Mar 2012, 20:29
IMC Confuser? I thought these were like the proverbial rocking horse stool?

Unless you have a fetish for the Confuser series (as many do) I suggest that 'Book 5' is all that is needed. I used the standard Air Pilot Publishing Air Pilots Manual 5 for the IMCr as well as PPL training and didn't have any issues with the exam(s) or understanding the theory prior to practical application of the concepts.

The IMC exam is very much like the PPL Nav exam: a load of multiple choice questions followed by a planning/plogging exercise. The only word of caution is to work your timings out and rely on them (a few 30 seconds here and there will make a 100% pass into 92% pass!).

Good luck guys!

GW

gmcflyer
27th Mar 2012, 21:09
i'm finding Airquiz online quite useful

gmc

A le Ron
28th Mar 2012, 09:38
Yes, Book 5 has all you need to know in it but I wouldn't have wanted to attempt the exam without practising questions in the CAA style.

Good luck to all in whatever bit of IMC training you're up to.

Having recently done the IMCr, I would agree with that - if you already have a book 5, use it; I also used the IMC confuser, which I bought online from (i think) Pilot Store - I have already leoaned it to one or two friends at the club, because as you know, poultry dentition is more common!

A le Ron
28th Mar 2012, 09:42
Yes, Book 5 has all you need to know in it but I wouldn't have wanted to attempt the exam without practising questions in the CAA style.

Good luck to all in whatever bit of IMC training you're up to.
I have just completed it using book 5 and the IMC confuser - which I have already loaned out around the club and will ultimately donate to the rare manuscripts section at the British Library. Worth using if you can lay your hands on a copy though!