PDA

View Full Version : Safety questions regarding private ops JAA

megaman85
17th Feb 2012, 10:45
Hi everybody.

I've been offered a job flying a King Air B200 for a private owner, but there are some things I don't really like about it.

The plane is based in a small airfield (2950') and many of the flights are taking off with the MTOW. For what I've seen in the performance charts, it complies with low temperatures, but Acceleration-Stop Distance and Acceleration-Go Distance are far out of limits.

Given those facts, I find very innapropiate to operate from that airport, but he has been operating from there for some time.

What should I do? I'm thinking about showing him all my calculations and let him decide, but I would like to have all the information in hand. Where can I find the JAA regulations for private flights/General aviation performance?

Thanks in advance!!

zoigberg
17th Feb 2012, 10:55
POH has performance figures.
If non-AOC, then you don't need to factorise distances.

If your calculations are right, it sounds like everything will be fine until you have a problem. Any insurance companies, and the AAIB would look at TOM/Mass and balance etc pretty early in any investigation of an accident.

megaman85
17th Feb 2012, 11:05
Thank you zoigberg.

Now another question arises... Can I log time as co-pilot in that aircraft?

zoigberg
17th Feb 2012, 15:34
I'm not qualified to give you answer on that I'm afraid.
Anyone else out there??

kenparry
19th Feb 2012, 14:33
Can I log copilot time on this?

Very unlikely. Look at: http://www.easa.eu.int/certification/flight-standards/doc/oeb-general/List_of_Aeroplanes_--_Class_and_Type_Ratings_and_Endorsement_List-06022012.pdf

which lists the King Air as a single-pilot type. There is a way out - if an operator has an Ops Manual declaring that it operates the King Air with 2 pilots, then it is possible to log P2 time. I'm not sure that a private owner is eligible to declare an Ops Manual, but it would be an expensive exercise. Of course, with a commercial operator, both pilots would need CPL or better. And you have another problem: you say you are offered a job, so if you are to be paid you will need to be a CPL holder. If you are a PPL holder, I think there is no way you can log the time. But - it could be good experience, unpaid, if you are able to resolve the safety of the runway performance.