PDA

View Full Version : ppr do you do it?

Pilot.Lyons
25th Jan 2012, 12:53
Now please hold back before people get heated here..

What i mean is PPR at some airfields is strict and others are shocked that you bothered to call..

Question is: do you actually bother or just turn up and request airfield information and lay her down anyway?

I understand that at some airfields you would be stupid not to and others we all know couldnt care less.

For my solo qxc i didnt call anyone or is it something my instructor would have done?

neilgeddes
25th Jan 2012, 12:58
I think it wise to always call ahead to any airfield you're planning to fly into. That way you'll get the latest information on the runway state, weather conditions, joining procedures, fuel, parking etc. A quick call takes only a couple of minutes and helps you plan your way in.

dont overfil
25th Jan 2012, 13:54
Your instructor will have done this for you.

If you PPR with your details the airfield will be expecting you. It works like a verbal flight plan. Well worth while especially if you are flying over hostile terrain.

If you don't turn up overdue proceedures will be initiated.

D.O.

peterh337
25th Jan 2012, 14:04
I think the answer is that the reasons for PPR vary.

It may be a private field, in which case the owner is simply entitled to require PPR absolutely. It's his private property. Most of them are in any case operating without a planning permission to have to keep it under the 28 day rule, which means keeping an ultra low profile for 10 years minimum.

It may be a very busy airfield which has serious parking issues. If 10 planes all turn up they may have nowhere to park.

Or it could be like what they have in Bournemouth which is a man in a portacabin who has got a concession from the airport to pick up landing fees, and to hand out PPR numbers. He also likes to tell people that they have to go via him even if going to one of the based maintenance companies, etc. ATC there rarely if ever ask for the PPR number.

Across Europe, many airports are PPR but many are not. Generally the big H24 ones (e.g. Prague) are not PPR. The UK is unusual in that Gatwick etc are PPR but that is because the "management" there has decided to push out GA totally, by giving the handling conecssion to Harrods and Signature who both charge the same rates - about £400 ;)

You should always contact an airport before flying there. Saves all kinds of hassle. Ask about opening hours, fuel, prices, etc.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jan 2012, 14:19
Look in Pooleys / AFE VFR guide / national AIP (whichever your preference is to use) - each airfield should list whether the airfield requires PPR or not, and if so when.

Most cases, then just phone the number given and the whole process takes about a minute.

G

Jan Olieslagers
25th Jan 2012, 14:45
Is there any good reason for NOT calling?

RTN11
25th Jan 2012, 14:55
Is there any good reason for NOT calling?

Exactly my view. Whether it's just the hour round trip burger run, or a full nav across half of the UK, there's no good reason not to take a few mins before the flight to call the airfield. They will have much more accurate weather info, as well as the local knowledge to apply this, give you the runway condition and any other useful info (e.g. fuel pump U/S).

I regularly fly to airfields noted as "strictly PPR", some really seem to want you to phone before you go, others are happy with just the radio call.

Genghis the Engineer
25th Jan 2012, 15:03
Do you call ahead to your destination when you drive a car to a privately-owned public-use parking lot?

If I want the best price out of airport parking, darned right I do (or in reality I usually book online).

I really see no reason not to phone, it's just part of the system, live with it, don't whinge! And it maybe applies to 1 in 3 airfields so there are plenty of places you can just drop into if you forgot.

G

1800ed
25th Jan 2012, 15:15
I do, a quick phone call can be helpful just in case there's some information you might have missed. Plus, most the airfields I've visited seem to request PPR anyway.

S-Works
25th Jan 2012, 16:03
Pretty much always. It never hurts to be polite and get any last minute information about conditions etc.

proudprivate
25th Jan 2012, 16:13
What i mean is PPR at some airfields is strict and others are shocked that you bothered to call..

Question is: do you actually bother or just turn up and request airfield information and lay her down anyway?

I do, because then I can in all honesty claim to have obtained "prior permission from such and such" in case some local moron acts up. It's also useful to get info on runway condition / weather / parking etc...

That being said, PPR is clearly being abused in Europe, being in place at many an airfield for no good reason at all. Remember the Jersey nonsense earlier ? mandatory fuss serving no end is an accurate description of the phenomenon.

It would be good to put a reason for the PPR in the AIP or on the aerodrome website if it applies.

Good reasons I've come across are
- aerodrome movements limited to 500 a year (noise abatement or other environmental concerns); PP given via an easy online booking system.
- aerodrome is inside a military base and the MP's like to know what to expect if you land outside ATS hours.
- aerodrome is very busy and you get a 20 minute arrival slot

Bad reasons for a PPR are
- airport operator wants to "brief" you on procedures (Put them in the AIP or on your website, you cretin !)
- no reason at all : PPR is given by the aerodrome pub waitress (really !) making no record whatsoever of your permission request

PompeyPaul
25th Jan 2012, 16:14
Always do. Even on subsequent visits, having been ridiculed the first time for calling.

WestWind1950
25th Jan 2012, 16:29
I have heard of cases where pilots have flown to an airfield without calling in ahead, only to be told on the radio NOT to land because the runway is being worked on! If you made sure you had enough fuel to fly elsewhere, then fine, otherwise you may be in trouble.

In another case an airshow was going on and a landing was refused (airfield was listed PPR in the AIP). The pilot complained to the authorities (and was "nicely" told how wrong he was)!

peterh337 listed a number of other good reasons... :ok:

proudprivate
25th Jan 2012, 16:44
I have heard of cases where pilots have flown to an airfield without calling in ahead, only to be told on the radio NOT to land because the runway is being worked on!

That would be in the NOTAMS for the aerodrome, right ?

(airfield was listed PPR in the AIP). The pilot complained to the authorities (and was "nicely" told how wrong he was)!

Now THAT is silly.

avonflyer
25th Jan 2012, 17:09
I can never see any reason not to call. It costs me hardly anything, takes me hardly any time, I might learn something to my advantage and every tower has always been very appreciative that I have taken the time to be polite.

ShyTorque
25th Jan 2012, 17:19

Correct. If it's a licensed airfield it certainly should be NOTAM'd because that is required under the terms of the license.

If it's not licensed, probably not.

Scalper
25th Jan 2012, 17:26
I only call if it is required in the AIP, or if I have a particular reason (grass runway condition for performance calculations, snow/ice coverage, limited parking, fuel availability, etc..) to do so
Otherwise there is absolutely no reason to bother them. Think about what would happen, especially at busier fields, if everybody called every single airport before every single flight :eek:

18greens
25th Jan 2012, 18:10
It may be slightly inconvenient for the airfield to call them but I alway get a jolly person and I've never regretted it.

One airfield I rang told me they were freshly closed due to a wheels up landing blocking the runway , I replanned. One I didn't ring ( Alderney) had no fuel due to the fact they had just poured it all into the clubhouse- that was very inconvenient. And the worst one I rang 3 times ( duxford) to be sure I would get in which they affirmed then were too busy to let me in when I arrived ( I wrote them a strong letter)

I always ring... But that's just me.

ShyTorque
25th Jan 2012, 18:33
I always ring... But that's just me.

I always ring too, unless it's my home airfield.

Pilot.Lyons
25th Jan 2012, 19:02
To be honest ive not long passed, done a few "family sightseeing trips" but thats it.

I guess id feel a bit strange/odd asking if im allowed to visit for the first time but after that ill be ok (maybe through fear of being spoken to like an idiot for doing it)!

Its the right and sensible thing to do so thats exactly what i will do... Just hear some people dont bother and wanted to put the feelers out for peoples thoughts and to see if its a common thing to call and be rejected etc

Thanks for all your posts guys

SlipSlider
25th Jan 2012, 19:54
PPR is just one of those slightly irritating factors in flying that simply have to be endured, certainly in the UK. Irritating not least for the inconsistency of expected method of obtaining "PPR": to one airfield it means by phone before departure, to another it's ok by radio inbound, to a few it's by e-mail or in writing. But basically it's their facility, so their rules.

PPR'ing can still catch you out; on two occasions when visiting fly-ins at the same airfield I rang for PPR before departure, specifically confirming that fuel would be available. On both occasions they had no fuel when I arrived! In all fairness though, after just a little 'encouragement', they did jump through hoops to sort me out with sufficient fuel to get me safely home.

peterh337
25th Jan 2012, 20:05
In the European context, PNR for Customs is much bigger than PPR for the actual airport.

Any pilot who goes places for real needs to contact the airport beforehand - unless as I said the flight is to a known H24 or similar airport where you can definitely just turn up (H24 ones usually look at the incoming flight plans to see who is coming and advise Customs etc accordingly; an amazing intellectual feat which the smaller airports have not got their heads around yet).

miroc
25th Jan 2012, 20:27
I can never see any reason not to call. It costs me hardly anything, takes me hardly any time, I might learn something to my advantage and every tower has always been very appreciative that I have taken the time to be polite. Does not matter how much it costs or how time consuming it is. It is just another annoyance to do.

If GA is aiming to be some kind of semi-real transportation there must be only necessary minimum of limitations or conditions to use an airport. PPR is one of less useful I think. One should be able to get all the infos reading NOTAMs and the website of the airport, check the weather, kick the prop and fly.

Using some farmers field is something different of course.

Miroc

Humaround
25th Jan 2012, 20:53
I fly from a well-established farm strip.

One of the other co-owners (actually he was getting his check out having only recently joined the group) encountered another aircraft landing in the opposite direction. He had made the usual blind calls on the airfield frequency with no response received.

No sweat, he touched and went, taking off over the other aircraft (good thing they didn't both make the same decision...)

He did another circuit, only to find himself in the same situation AGAIN.

This time he saw the other aircraft before landing and went round.

It then happened a THIRD time.

On the fourth attempt he landed. The three other aircraft were visitors who had failed to get PPR. If they had done so they would have known that the airfield frequency changed over 2 years ago.

Probably wise to get PPR, on the whole.

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Jan 2012, 21:19
Bad reasons for a PPR are
- airport operator wants to "brief" you on procedures (Put them in the AIP or on your website, you cretin !)
I ask "is there anything else I need to know that I didn't find when I read Pooleys, the AIP and your web site?".

The answer is sometimes along the lines of "that's fine, see you later, the PPR is so that we can brief the people who can't be arsed to read any of those".

Sepp
25th Jan 2012, 21:36

Don't rely on them, they aren't always up-to-date, or even close.

https://www.sia.aviation-civile.gouv.fr/aip/enligne/uk/..%5CPDF_AIPparSSection%5CVAC%5CAD%5C2%5C1202_AD-2.LFLP.pdf

See any problem with hard taxiway B on page 3? No? How about the fact that it doesn't exist? For added fun, the turn off lights on 04 at B last time I went there were still lit. No NOTAM. Fun in a jet.

172driver
25th Jan 2012, 21:44
Silvaire1, you are 100% correct, but don't get too excited about it. This whole PPR nonsense is - largely - a UK-only issue.

ShyTorque
25th Jan 2012, 21:46
The idea of PPR is a complete cluster**** in that context. If its a 'requirement' of the 'system', a reasonable response might be to say change now, get GA organized in some reasonable fashion, or continue to die. Even the Italian microlighters flying from farm fields do a whole lot better than what's described in this thread.

What does this actually mean? I don't understand you.

AdamFrisch
25th Jan 2012, 22:02
I have to agree with Silvaire. It's one of the most annoying jobsworth things in the UK. I can think of no better way to drive people away. Last time I was chided by snotty A/G at Goodwood for not having it even though it's not even required, only recommended! It's like they get mad at you for not giving them a 5hr heads up from their tea drinking feast and actually have to work. It's most unwelcoming.

It's all fine if the entire GA scene consists of bacon sarnie flying sunday trippers going from A to B only, but if you want to be professional, be accessible and cater to all then this abomination has to go. Can you imagine if I asked my clients to give me a yearly breakdown of how many times they will hire me and during which exact dates? It'd be out of the business within 3 seconds if I demanded that.

The plane is the customer, it's not the other way around. Now, for a private field this is obviously different - then it is what it is and I accept that. But for Bournemouth? You have to be kidding.

thing
25th Jan 2012, 22:12
I did PPR to a field a while ago and set off. I turned back because of foul unforecast weather. I thought I would be a good airman and give them a bell when I landed so that they didn't panic.

'Hi this is G-XXXX, due in at 1400, afraid I had to RTB so I thought I'd call you.'

'Weren't even expecting you.'

System works a treat then.

Silvaire don't even try to begin comparing FAA land with CAA land, a lot of places and people here are in a 1930's timewarp.

ShyTorque
25th Jan 2012, 22:40
Silvaire, aah, thanks. It was the "continue to die" quote that I didn't quite understand. You mean GA as a whole, not the pilots!

Yes, some folk in charge of some UK airfields really don't seem to understand the meaning of "customer service".

As in: "We agree to pay you to use the airfield for the purpose it was licensed for. Your part of the contract is that you should provide the service we pay you for, at a reasonable cost. We don't expect you to treat us as if you are doing us a favour. Thankyou".

However, not the same as the need to PPR.

TractorBoy
27th Jan 2012, 06:59
I can't believe people have such an issue phoning for PPR. It takes about 2 minutes and most of the time its at strips where there's no weather info etc available. I quite often change my plans after phoning because of local weather, poor runway conditions etc plus I get advice about the circuit based on their local knowledge ( not every airfield is in the AIP or has a website...)

I always call if for some reason I'm not going to make it after all just to let them know. Most of the time I get the response "Thanks, hardly anyone ever does that".

FREDAcheck
27th Jan 2012, 10:17
It would be good to put a reason for the PPR in the AIP or on the aerodrome website if it applies.
How about: "Because I say so, and it's my $odding airfield."

Most airfields are private property, and in most parts of the world there is no absolute right to enter private property without permission. In the UK the owner of an airfield has the right to impose PPR as a condition without having to justify it. It's their airfield, and if you don't like it then you don't have to visit.

Yes, it takes a few minutes to phone, and they don't always answer, and I might even change my mind in the air. There can be reasons why I might turn up and call on the radio, even where it says PPR by phone. (And I take the risk that they might turn me away.)

However, I'm genuinely puzzled by the objection on principle raised by some people. I mean: do you expect an unrestricted right of access to any private property? Does being a pilot give you some sort of droit du seigneur over airfields (and the local virgins)?

Genghis the Engineer
27th Jan 2012, 10:24
I've noticed quite a few PPLs seem to have a significant mental block about carefully doing checks in their aircraft.

I wonder if there's a correlation between those who don't do checks, and those who object to phoning for PPR?

G

S-Works
27th Jan 2012, 10:34
I've noticed quite a few PPLs seem to have a significant mental block about carefully doing checks in their aircraft.

I wonder if there's a correlation between those who don't do checks, and those who object to phoning for PPR?

G

Interesting observation.

fireflybob
27th Jan 2012, 11:06
And of course there is a difference between "PPR" and "PPR to non-radio aircraft" - but I agree, what's the big deal in ringing them first?

AdamFrisch
27th Jan 2012, 14:06
FREDA - How about don't start an airfield if you don't want people to land on it?

This happened not long ago in a pub:

Me: I'd Like two pints of Guinness please.
Pub: 7 quid.
Me: Can I pay with card?
Pub: Minimum of 10 pounds.
Me: OK, we're going to drink more than these, can I start a tab? *hands over card*
Pub: No, we don't start tabs.
Me: ?
Pub: You have to buy a third pint if you want to pay with card.

All very insignificant, but ultimately after watching a pint turn stale on the bar that we'd have been forced to buy to satisfy a nonsensical publicans whim, we moved onto a pub where they would start a tab. Sure, it's his pub and he can do what he wants. But who in their right mind would want to?

Same here. I'm in the air. I change my plans on a whim, or my destination's weather has deteriorated or I had developed a technical fault. I call up field and they say "we only accept PPR by phone" and refuse landing. I go somewhere else where they don't have silly rules, half hoping the engine will quit and declare an emergency just to inconvenience them.

Some people are just hell bent on driving themselves out of business. What's it to me? Well, I've been in business for myself since I was 19 and it just drives me crazy that bad customer service not only is so prevalent, but even encouraged by many. If you're in the business of running an airfield, collecting landing fee's and providing the best support for your tenants on the field, be it a cafe or a maintenance facility, don't you owe it to them and your customers to be accessible and welcoming?

Once again, I'm not talking about small private airfield, 28-day rules etc - that's a different thing. But licensed and incorporated airfields in the business of airfielding. I just don't get it. Even if you lose only one customer because of it, that's one customer. He will tell all and sundry that this field is a PITA.

Just help me understand why this is good practice?

italianjon
27th Jan 2012, 14:23
I tend to phone to ask for any extra info, but I must be honest and say I don't get the objections to doing it, but I think if you want to just jump in then that's also fine.

I'm not some airline wanna-be all up on Pomp and Circumstance and procedures and would love to see a Transport System made out of GA where you can somewhat jump in and go 24/7, but if you want to spend 100GBP per hour or whatever flying somewhere only to find out that you can't land for some stupid reason - then I would have preferred to have known this before I set off so that I could decide on another plan.

It's only so that the £200 quid bacon buttie doesn't cost me £400!!!

maxred
27th Jan 2012, 14:28
Nice point Adam. Case in point is Oban. They run it like a mini international airport - without the commercial traffic - bar the Islander doing the Island run.

Have you PPR'd first question as you come near.

Well no, speak to me on arrival states controller. Why???

If I call pre take off, to check local weather - PPR no problem. If I am up flying and decide to go to Oban, and talking with Scottish, who tell Oban I am coming - what is the problem. Apparently there is a problem, although no one can quite tell me what it is.

I used to think it ''good manners'' to call, but I am not sure anyone really cares.

Care to elaborate anyone? The other recent addition to the flock is Fife, apparently because the parachute guys are now there. But if they are flying and dropping, and I call up, I will hold off until they are done. No??

Anyway, big probs apparently if you do not PPR - INCIDENTLY BOTH ARE HEAVY ON HI VIZ JACKETS - CO-INCIDENCE?

FREDAcheck
27th Jan 2012, 14:34
Just help me understand why this is good practice?
Certainly your example isn't good practice, and from a commercial point of view, discouraging customers isn't a very good idea.

I've some sympathy for airfields trying to persuade visitors to phone for a briefing. Most small airfields have noise-sensitive areas and many have non-standard circuits or joining arrangements; ignoring those can be dangerous. Briefing can sometimes be done over the air, but during busy times (e.g. fly-ins), which are the most critical times, life histories over the air are not on; there isn't always time for an over-the-air breifing.

My point, though, was that airfields can set whatever PPR conditions they choose, and we, as visiting pilots don't have the right to ignore them. I'd regard it as bordering on poor airmanship.

soaringhigh650
27th Jan 2012, 14:42
ppr do you do it?

No, never. It doesn't exist at public airports out here.

maxred
27th Jan 2012, 14:42
Freda - cannot disagree, and if Pooleys, or indeed any other publication states - PPR required, then fine. I agree that it only manners to co-operate and seek PPR.

Filing a flight plan also can take care of the PPR.

I think the issue comes when out VFR flying, and you call up to join, and there is an issue with PPR. I do not see much of an issue from the airfileds viewpoint.

FREDAcheck
27th Jan 2012, 14:54
maxred, I agree.

I don't think I've ever been refused an over-the-air PPR (even if they've grumbled a bit), but I probably wouldn't ask if were unfamiliar with the field and I knew they were very busy on the radio.

proudprivate
27th Jan 2012, 14:57
How about: "Because I say so, and it's my $odding airfield."

I liked the comparison with the pub. You create a hassle for no good reason, and people move their custom elsewhere.

Putting a good reason in the AIP for a PPR might help in improving the customers' (incoming pilots') understanding and encourage them to participate in the better functioning of the airfield.

I'm not encouraging pilots to fly into a PPR field without obtaining prior permission. That is indeed poor manners (or even poor airmanship). I'm merely saying that, if two airfields would serve my purpose, and one is PPR for no good reason, I will give my custom to the other.

You obviously have no idea about correlation, or any other statistical parameter for that matter. While I always perform proper checks, I do take exception to being forced to perform a de facto needless action.

Filing a flight plan also can take care of the PPR.

No it doesn't. How do you know the flight plan reaches the aerodrome operator ?

Natstrackalpha
27th Jan 2012, 15:02
Now please hold back before people get heated here..

I understand that at some airfields you would be stupid not to and others we all know couldnt care less.

For my solo qxc i didnt call anyone or is it something my instructor would have done? If you call and tell `em you are intending to turn up and you don`t turn up - then some bright spark might call an "uncertainty" and get the ball rolling for you to be rescued from being entangled in a tree whilst bleeding to death.

Some time ago a light aircraft went down in a forest somewhere in dear old England and was not found for several months - just a thought. In some places - not filing PPR will put you in deep s--t and you may not get permission to land.

Also, whilst flying out to an airfield out in the bundhu - if you don`t PPR and they decide to go out and do the week`s shopping and you prang on landing - as it was strictly PPR only, then you have only yourself to blame when there is no one there to sort it all out for you - police, fire, ambulance, that sort of thing.

dont overfil
27th Jan 2012, 15:16
When PPR is written into the OPS manual or safety management manual at a licenced airfield clearly the airfield operators have shackled themselves with the requirement.

This may have been inherited from a previous operator. So, How easy is it to recind this requirement? Was it a CAA "suggestion" (as they do:*) I know of other changes that our local airfield would like but the cost of paperwork/surveys etc. has made them unrealistic to carry out.

I do know that the decision to require PPR is not there to annoy people. As little as 15 miles north of our field communication can be difficult. In our case PPR is in place to provide a joined up service to alert search and rescue.

One other small point. Fuel deliveries are not notamed and can delay you getting fuel for over 2 hours for avgas and 5 hours for Jet A1.

D.O.

chevvron
27th Jan 2012, 15:56
Maxred: filing a flight plan certainly does NOT 'take care' of PPR.
If the airfield is unlicenced for instance, you must still get permission on advance to use the aerodrome before you file a flight plan.
I work part time at an unlicenced airfield where the runway is given away for non-aviation use for long periods, but the airport operator will try to fit you in when they can. If you turnup without having been granted permission to land, you will probably find the owner/operator denies permission for you to use his land.

chevvron
27th Jan 2012, 16:17
Don't overfill: you don't appear to realise that unless the airfield has a 'Public Use' licence, you must get permission to land there. OK some airfields grant this on the RTF, but many don't, it's up to the aerodrome authority.
Many airfields have an 'Ordinary' licence which requires PPR and gives their local planning authority the power to impose the condition that the aerodrome authority must know in advance who is going to use the aerodrome.

peterh337
27th Jan 2012, 16:25
filing a flight plan certainly does NOT 'take care' of PPR.

True but it does beg the question as to WHY NOT?

I think the most likely answer lies in airport management being one of the last bastions of trade union power and restrictive practices. I have been told, face to face, that the airport ops office will not discuss anything with the Customs people (down the corridor) or with anybody else, and the tower (which gets flight plans addressed to xxxxZTZX, IIRC) is not going to pass them to anybody else "downstairs" either.

Flight plans could easily serve for Customs PNR which - across Europe - is the most common issue with preflight notification. But as I say the airport staff refuse to operate that way.

soaringhigh650
27th Jan 2012, 16:43
peterh337 - I don't think it's trade union power. Just inadequate mismanagement and poor co-ordination and communication between staff.

Legalapproach
27th Jan 2012, 17:11
One reason for complying with a PPR requirement is in order to comply with Rule 40 of the Rules of the Air

40. An aircraft shall not taxi on the apron or the manoeuvring area of an aerodrome without the
permission of either—
(a) the person in charge of the aerodrome; or
(b) the air traffic control unit or aerodrome flight information service unit notified as being on watch at the aerodrome.

(b) does not necessarily mean you can get permission via the radio if an airfield is notified as PPR by telephone.

Last year the CAA prosecuted a pilot for landing at an airfield notified as PPR by telephone for allegedly failing to get the necessary telephone permission. Luckily he was found not guilty but was put to considerable time and trouble in having to fight his case.

ShyTorque
27th Jan 2012, 17:22
They run it like a mini international airport - without the commercial traffic - bar the Islander doing the Island run.

Oban is a council owned airport = jobsworths, work to rule etc.

As I understand the historical situation, they saw a previous manager / leaseholder making a good profit and turfed him out, so they could make a profit for themselves. Unfortunately, most councils don't know how to run airfields for a profit and the employees don't really give a toss either. No-one even came out from the building when I went there last time. Mind you, it was raining. :hmm:

ShyTorque
27th Jan 2012, 17:33
I agree, I almost always make a simple phone call beforehand, with one or two recent exceptions, due to an airborne change of plan. Even then we made a radio call on a previous leg to check we could land and refuel on our way back. I've been phoning airfields in advance, PPR or not, for well over 30 years now and have never been made to feel that the call was unwelcome. In some cases, a phone call has prevented severe inconvenience (such as no fuel available for the next two days due to a u/s fuel installation).

L'aviateur
27th Jan 2012, 17:54
When in the UK, and 'pottering' around Yorkshire and the North, although I have an idea of the weather and conditions in all the areas i'm planning to operate I often don't decide where I want to go until airborne and done some manouevering and practice.
I call up on the air-ground frequencies and ask for joining instructions if they can accept me. Never been refused yet, and if I was I'd just take it on the chin and continue to the next place.

No real reason for not asking PPR, and on a longer distance route I'd probably be much more prepared. But in the local area most of my usual bacon buttie haunts have no expectation for you to call PPR despite it being in the Pooleys.

ShyTorque
27th Jan 2012, 18:04
If you're only "pottering" locally for recreation, the weather is good and have plenty of fuel and no real destination, apart from getting home again before dark, I see no issues with that at all. :ok:

But I never fly to potter around the skies. Actually going to a particular destination, on a timescale, for a particular purpose, (in typical UK weather) is a very different kettle of fish.

dont overfil
27th Jan 2012, 18:57
Hi Chevvron,
I didn't know that. I'll check.

Silvare1,
I think tax payers in the UK are considered precious. The government will go to great lengths to keep us alive.:ok:

D.O.

Pilot.Lyons
27th Jan 2012, 19:20
Lol d/o ;)

cumulusrider
27th Jan 2012, 20:07
My local airfield, Lasham, is PPR for good reason. It is a very busy gliding site (10,000+ movements PA) using both aerotow and winch simultaniously. We also regularly have movements of 757s, 767s etc.
We are not licenced and the chap on the radio is probly standing at the launchpoint with a hand held radio so even if he can hear your call you probably wont hear his reply until you are in the circuit.
Overhead joins are not recommended as we often have winch cables to well over 2000ft
The main runway is not normally used by the gliders. Circuits in both directions are normal landing on the grass the apropriate side of the runway.
There is a use for PPR
Nigel