PDA

View Full Version : Aer Lingus Regional

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

EI-A330-300
24th Apr 2013, 12:59
Aer Lingus Regional moving to T2 at DUB from 1 May.

Jack1985
24th Apr 2013, 13:02
Aer Lingus Regional moving to T2 at DUB from 1 May.

Will they still be using the Stands up near Pier D with passengers being bussed to/from T2?

EI-A330-300
24th Apr 2013, 13:09
Will they still be using the Stands up near Pier D with passengers being bussed to/from T2?

Not sure of the fine details but I would expect the buses from Pier D will still operate unless they can use the cargo area for parking at times. The long walk will be gone for pax. If the current RE staff who checkin at T1 move over it will mean that EI will have more staff at checkin to ease queues in the mornings without increasing costs. Last summer the queues were very bad.

Cian
24th Apr 2013, 17:25
The Menzies staff in LGW are also convinced "their" EI fastpass terminals were nicked to allow EI-R have some in T1 (I'm not sure this is true at all, but anyway...). This might let them put some back as there will be spare ones.

Rivet Joint
24th Apr 2013, 20:43
Thanks for the info 80rpilot. I guess there is some logic in there!

EI-A330-300
25th Apr 2013, 19:33
Some flights start on 1 May at T2 other will follow a few days lather, details below:

Dublin Airport Terminal 2 - Aer Lingus (http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/movetoterminal2atdublin/)

Dontgothere
26th Apr 2013, 20:18
Now of course Aer Arann has brought in OY-RUG to allow for the removal of fleet while St Conall is getting put right.

OY-RUG ATR72-202 Danish Air Transport | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/elevationair/8680781617/)

What is wrong with EI-FAS anyway (or is it not really for public consumption)?

Papa2Charlie
29th Apr 2013, 18:50
Looks like Aer Arann have taken delivery of the first ATR72-600.

Aer Arann gets first new plane in €144m deal - Business - Business | Ireland's online business and management news service - Businessandleadership.com (http://businessandleadership.com/business/item/40788-aer-arann-gets-first-new/)

Angry Rebel
30th Apr 2013, 07:48
@Papa2Charlie Don't believe everything you read in the paper (I see same PR spin in the Indo today)!! The aircraft has not been delivered yet, legally or physically.

Papa2Charlie
30th Apr 2013, 19:01
Hi Angry Rebel,

Thanks for the info. Have to admit I was wondering when there would be a release on the ATR website.

What's the hold up? Technical or SPC / Purchaser related?

Thanks.

P2C

ATR7242
30th Apr 2013, 22:06
EI-FAS is held up due to engine change because of engine Torque problems.
maybe end of this week or early next for delivery.
The next 7 will be
EI-FAT
EI-FAU
EI-FAV
EI-FAW
EI-FAX
EI-FAY
EI-FAZ all ATR 72-212A (-600)

Angry Rebel
1st May 2013, 09:18
Correct, engine change was required. Delivery is end of this week if all goes to plan

iwak
1st May 2013, 21:19
How did the move to t2 go today?

Dontgothere
1st May 2013, 21:25
ATR 72-600 delivery ceremony video

ATR and Aer Arann celebrate the delivery of its first 72-600 - April 2013 - YouTube

Papa2Charlie
1st May 2013, 22:54
That'll be some egg on face for PWC then....

Flame
3rd May 2013, 17:08
Aer Arann took delivery of the first of the ATR72-600 ordered at Dublin today 3rd May 2013 ...

Aer Lingus Regional (Aer Arann) ATR72-600 EI-FAS | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38016434@N05/8705330792/in/photostream)

highflied
7th May 2013, 12:01
Hello all,this is a long shot but just wondering if anyone in the know can tell me if their will be any more recruitment of FO's in the near future,im type rated but got no hours on type,would it be a good idea to do the 600 differences training or would i just be wasting more money!Any info or advice would be much appreciated.

Dontgothere
7th May 2013, 13:49
EI-SLL fights to see another operator... Czech airlines are taking this bird on...

EI-SLL | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/mthird3rdaviation/8716342628/)

bigjim99
7th May 2013, 15:16
Czech do seem to be steadily increasing their fleet of ATRs however all are 500's so far. It is going to take a lot of work and money to make this heap anything as comfortable as the Czech 500's (which have more premium cabins than the EIR 500s). I guess the cabin doesn't really matter as it will likely be going tech again and again

Dontgothere
7th May 2013, 15:50
As far as I'm aware having looked around the place SLL/M/N were all considered to be heaps, of course SLM has since just become a heap of scrap metal. Falling apart in every sense of the phrase, I too am led to believe that these birds were terrible for going tech...

CSA may have shot it's self in the foot with leasing these...

bigjim99
7th May 2013, 20:00
I think that even the older birds REI and REH are more reliable as well as having the most spacious and comfy cabins of the fleet since the refit. That said I've not had the pleasure of seeing FAS yet and probs won't until she is SNN or ORK based. I think I've mentioned before that I was involved with an airline that was considering taking what turned out to be SLL/M/N before they came over the pond. Lucky escape!

EHH has just pulled up here in MAN- what a tired old girl she looks.

mart901
7th May 2013, 21:00
I thought either REI or REH had left the fleet ages ago? Has anyone flown FAS yet or know what routes its been operating?

planenut321
7th May 2013, 21:20
REH operated into CWL this morning, and FAS operated in to CWL yesterday.

*Info from South Wales Aviation Blog

IrishFlyer2013
7th May 2013, 21:54
FAS has mainly operated DUB-GLA since it entered service. It has opersted one or two services from DUB - EDI & CWL as well.

Dontgothere
7th May 2013, 22:23
Somehow I think that EHH describes the attitude with making it look well. They must have just said "Ehh," and left it knowing that it hadn't long to go...

The problem is that there is little margin for error with a fleet so small, if one goes tech, then that will throw things into meltdown very fast... I think that in terms of growth, the next three years will be just as critical for Aer Arann as the previous three have been.

bigjim99
7th May 2013, 23:31
Can confirm REH and REI are still most definitely in action. For how long I am not sure! Hopefully the next to go is SLN but it was originally meant to be back to air contractors in Dec 13??

FAS has been operating mainly DUB-Scotland routes. From what I gather crews at ORK and SNN aren't going through conversion training in Toulouse for the -600s until late summer

Cian
8th May 2013, 17:35
SLx and CBK were the problem craft in the fleet from my experience of them.

With the initially unexpected return of REP, it does definitely look like the 42s are staying now.

I can't see SkyTeam being too happy with that bucket as a logojet though!

Dontgothere
8th May 2013, 17:51
I know that Czech are financially in ruin, but that's not an excuse to lease EI-SLL...

bigjim99
10th May 2013, 09:59
Interesting article:

Interview with: Simon Fagan, Chief Commercial Officer, Aer Arann | anna.aero (http://www.anna.aero/2013/05/09/interview-with-simon-fagan-chief-commercial-officer-aer-arann/)

Says that summer 2014 schedule is likely to be run by 15 a/c. Does that mean therefore that older A/C are staying (hence recent refurbs of REH/REI):

Guessing fleet will be something like:

8x 72-600s
3x 72-500s
2x 72-201s
2x 42-300s

I can't imagine them getting rid of the 42's entirely. Much more cost efficient to run - especially on steady routes like DUB-BLK

Hopefully these extra A/c will allow EIR to expand to places like NCL

tws123
10th May 2013, 18:45
DUB-SEN to 4x daily

Aer Lingus Regional plans Southend expansion (http://www.traveldailymedia.com/153856/aer-lingus-regional-plans-southend-expansion)

Dontgothere
10th May 2013, 20:19
I'm fairly sure that BYO and CPT would be the 42s staying, they seem to be in much better fettle than the others. What's the reckoning on these getting "Shamrocked" as the term goes? As well as REH/I?

As for additional routes, I recently have been thinking that Regional may want to serve Inverness (as it is the last major place not to have a Dublin connection) and possibly Norwich as it is one of the most difficult to access cities in the UK (and the management are looking for a Dublin link), although I don't see a NWI route opening any time soon as Southend is geographically close to Norwich and so too is Stansted...

cornishsimon
10th May 2013, 22:48
Surely if new routes are being looked into DUB-NQY on EIr would be considered even if seasonal ?

cs

COBHC
11th May 2013, 11:26
I wonder if DUB-BLK-DUB would ever become more than one flight a day?

Its been a rather popular route from BLK for many years.

Cyrano
11th May 2013, 12:56
I wonder if DUB-BLK-DUB would ever become more than one flight a day?

Its been a rather popular route from BLK for many years.

According to CAA stats the route only carried 16800 passengers last year, down from 21000 the year before. If the 2012 service was a daily ATR42 (note: I don't know for a fact that that's the case), it's only about a 50% load factor. At those levels of load I would not be thinking about going from one a day to two a day, I'd be worrying about a reduction in frequency or an end to the route.

CaptainDoony
11th May 2013, 13:07
I don't want to annoy too many folks on here about potential frequency increases but what about an increase on DUB-ABZ?

Been on the go 2 years as a daily ATR72, good loads, quite a few suits on the route as well so presumably good yields.

However timings aren't the best with just one lunchtime departure so with the new ATR's coming online what are the chances?

Jamie2k9
20th May 2013, 23:45
A significant announcement on Wednesday at 9.00 at Dublin Airport on future expansion plans with Aer Lingus.

mathers_wales_uk
20th May 2013, 23:52
I wonder if this is the reason that flights from Cardiff Airport for winter 2013 have not been released yet.

I find it astonishing that Aer Lingus Regional have decided not to make the most of the RBS Six Nations Ireland v Wales fixture and put the flights on sale.

rowly6339
21st May 2013, 00:22
News & Star | News | Business | Stobart Group boss hopes for flights from Carlisle next summer (http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/business/stobart-group-boss-hopes-for-flights-from-carlisle-next-summer-1.1056771?referrerPath=home)

VanBosh
21st May 2013, 06:58
If major expansion is to be announced tomorrow I wonder would it go beyond the UK, perhaps flights to Belgium/Lux/Netherlands could work to feed the US traffic? Or will it be expansion to UK through new routes/increased frequencies.

Barling Magna
21st May 2013, 08:26
I don't think this will be the long speculated RE route network from SEN, but then again why did Stobart Air pump that money into RE if they weren't going to use their new toys to boost their airport towards their ambitious pax targets?

Airbus321-200
21st May 2013, 08:31
I do think that Stobart will use the Aer Arann AOC to start a new brand to launch flights from SEN. The Aer Lingus Regional brand wouldn't work well with their plans. Plus Aer Lingus might not approve.

It might not be the announcement tomorrow but i do see it happening at some point. Tomorrow is probably just a few route frequency increases and maybe a new route ( Southampton etc )

Tagron
21st May 2013, 09:58
The Stobart Annual Report, published last week, was explicit as to the company's intentions for Aer Arann.. From Page 37,

<Phase 2 will be to replicate the Aer Lingus Regional model using London Southend as the UK base and servicing Scotland, Benelux and Northern France. We will target a minimum of 300,000 passengers per annum.>

The accompanying RNS quotes a "focus" on Spring 2014 for these routes, with this comment:

<We are currently understanding route and carrier planning for Carlisle Airport and are aiming to capitalise on the business potential for London-bound traffic, as well as providing an exclusive new in-bound route for some of the Lake District's 40 million visitors each year.>

Separately Stobart have again confirmed their intention to base an ATR42 at Carlisle to, operate CAX-SEN twice daily and CAX-DUB daily, subject as always to the final resolution of planning issues for the airport and distribution centre at Carlisle. Again 2014 is the projected start date. See #540 this thread.

Expressflight
21st May 2013, 10:27
I agree with Barling Manga and don't think tommorrow's announcement will have anything to do with SEN, other than possibly a fourth daily DUB rotation.

The timing of the statements in the Stobart Annual Report was aimed mainly at boosting investor confidence in the outcome of the company's substantial investment in SEN. While I don't doubt their firm intention to launch new SEN routes, it's probably a few months down the line before any announcements are likely to be made in my view. Obviously SEN needs some airline diversity for the future and it would be a little strange if Stobarts did not take advantage of their majority shareholding in RE in order to provide that.

Hangar6
21st May 2013, 11:00
Reading all the reports regarding Re it's clear their entire fleet is committed to EIR for the next ten years, I believe this means EI will decide on route and capacity planning cannot see how Stobarts or more to the point Invesco will be involved but SEN certainly has a future for EI so expansion oh EIR there is likely but westbound rather than eastbound, IMHO.

Jack1985
21st May 2013, 12:14
Have to agree with the statements regarding brand on these speculated new routes. Aer Lingus will not allow new operations under their brand from Carlisle or Southend or anywhere in the UK to anywhere excluding routes which would operate to Ireland. Also I doubt they're going to use the Aer Arann AOC this is used at present i.e. Callsign and the designator RE for charter services. And as has been said the fleet and new fleet is tied up to committed expansion agreed with Aer Lingus until 2022 so unless Stobart are going to buy further new aircraft.

VanBosh
22nd May 2013, 08:43
I see they have announced they plan to hire 50people over next 12 months. Is this the expected announcement?

dublinaviator
22nd May 2013, 11:13
If this is the 'major announcement', what a letdown...

Hangar6
22nd May 2013, 12:01
Well to be fair that's 50 less folks emigrating or on the scratcher

RE needed to have the further good news get restructured sound future new planes expanding etc etc all helps the profile

Only us sick aerosexuals were expecting more lol but give them credit it's tough out there and they pulled themsle up out of a bad place

EI-A330-300
22nd May 2013, 12:05
Stobart had there camera crew over, expect it will air on TV soon, these new plans have had so much PR lets hope the deliver punctuality and reliability.

dublinaviator
22nd May 2013, 17:29
Full article and video for anyone interested: Aer Arann creates 50 jobs in major expansion of its services - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/aer-arann-creates-50-jobs-in-major-expansion-of-its-services-29285757.html)

Hangar6
22nd May 2013, 17:38
Mm I wonder if phase two ex SEN would need these extra 2 ATRS?

mart901
5th Jun 2013, 17:41
Anyone know whats happening with NOC-BHX this winter?

bigjim99
12th Jun 2013, 08:39
Anyone know why OY-RUB is hired in at the moment? Is the next '600 due soon?

Dontgothere
12th Jun 2013, 14:56
Yes, EI-REL is on maintenance in Monchengladbach. EI-FAT needs to get to Dublin sooner rather than later...

EI-FAU is now as it seems on test as F-WWEK

Dontgothere
16th Jun 2013, 22:22
EI-FAU has been snapped on the production line now as F-WWEK.

ATR Aircraft (http://www.atraircraft.com/mediagallery/pictures.html)

Dontgothere
26th Jun 2013, 22:16
Ready to go to Yangon Airways:-

EI-REP ATR72-212 Yangon Airways | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34845571@N08/9142690269/in/photolist-eVUFhR-9heeSw-anHin6-bs71YM-bBBLsb-aQjJ4c-bhdvuc-bhdsUk-bhdwzP-bs7BiB-bs72qx-bs7LVn-bs7M9B-bs71KX-bs7LHc-bs8fYH-bkFzws-bs7Lv2-bs7Bsr-bs71zZ-bs72d2-bs8g9t-dAyBmk-bfn2Sv-bQwrsi-bfn1Rr-bHCeWK-bHCf2t-bBBL9d-bBBKQL-9hbMug-9hbDFX-9jExJf-dvT9H3-eaNkyU-9oBTzD-dVjUD5-ecE8Xn-7xEHPu-aEYboC-8d1h9V-aEUkKP-ayBdhw-dzdMFR-dRTKkd-7Nx6nv-7NB5zG-7Z84xV-9mboQW-9mbo7m-8kW1gT)

Vapor
28th Jun 2013, 15:30
When are the remaining -600's due for delivery?

EI-A330-300
20th Jul 2013, 19:52
Aer Lingus Regionals bussiest weekend on record with over 16,000 passengers due to fly this weekend up 11% on last year and over 1500 will be flying onwards to the US with Aer Lingus.

The Sunday Business Post (http://www.businesspost.ie/#!story/Home/News/Aer+Lingus+Regional+heads+for+record+weekend/id/19410615-5218-51e9-0b2b-f2ebc4059319)

bigjim99
24th Jul 2013, 00:20
Has anyone had any feedback on how PAX are finding the new DUB-MAN/BHX routes where both EIR and EI are operating?

In MAN today, the 18:15 EIR to DUB was delayed for a couple of hours. When the A320 turned up to operate the evening EI DUB service, there seemed to be great disappointment from those delayed thinking that they were on the A320 to then see the tatty old OY-LBH turn up to operate the EIR...setting off later and arriving much later.

It is still quite surprising that people don't realise that those particular flights are operated by EIR.....which again adds confusion regards baggage requirements.

I think the model is a good idea, I just think that EIR are shooting themselves in the foot operating knackered begged and borrowed A/C on these important routes. Recently we have seen a lot of EI-REH, OY-RUB and OY-LBH out of DUB.

Why couldn't they have waited for the arrival of the new A/C before launching these routes? Why are the 600's taking forever? It is much easier and quicker to damage a reputation than make or rebuild one. Can't imagine EI being happy.

airbourne
24th Jul 2013, 00:45
You really aren't happy with EIR, are you?

Ive taken DUB-BHX 3 times in the last month and each time Ive been on -FAS, so no issues.

How are EIR shooting themselves in the foot? Are they doing it the same way EI is doing it by hiring in Titan aircraft to operate routes?

24th Jul 2013, 08:43
I was in MAN waiting for the ORK flight (on time, as was SNN) when that flight was delayed.

I can understand that it might be annoying, but the same thing happens on EI mainline. I have memories of booking the 9:30pm flight from Heathrow to Dublin rather than the 10:15pm one because public transport to my apartment would still be running when that one landed. Of course, the 9:30pm flight left at 11pm and the 10:15pm left at 10:15pm.

What I would say is that I'm not sure about mixing the provider on the same route. When there are different hand baggage limits and the like, it potentially creates all sorts of problems, such as when someone finds that the limit for coming back is lower than for going out. The value of customer relations are a lot harder to quantify than operational efficiency.

mathers_wales_uk
24th Jul 2013, 09:03
If only people took time to read the confirmation it should reveal all. When you book online it even tells you which aircraft type and whether or not Aer Lingus or Aer Lingus Regional will operate the flight.

(Of course could become difficult if a TMC has booked your flight however you should still get a copy of the booking confirmation to check it over).

bigjim99
24th Jul 2013, 09:58
Airbourne, I do like EIR believe it or not and are probably one of their most regular PAX.

To me, the 500s & 600s are very nice A/C that provide a PAX experience to that of a regional jet. They are well presented, look modern inside and you can hear to hold a conversation in them.

The old birds really are a long way from this. T3 offer earplugs when flying on their Jetstream A/C, an aircraft that is much quieter than these old ATRs. Having learnt that, I carry my own earplugs as I have had many a headache riding on them (depending where sat). Can't imagine they do the crews hearing any good over a prolonged period.

My point is that I think the new ATR and A320s can work. I just think the gulf in quality between an A320 and a 20+ year old ATR on the same route will have a negative effect. No matter what A/C you are on, the general public believe they are flying with EI. With FR competing on both of these routes, I bet there is a few wonder why they are paying the premium for EI and then having an hour of hell on an old ATR.

Shouldn't they have waited for the 600s to be operational and then tackle this rather than running before they walk.

fivejuliet
24th Jul 2013, 10:15
Both EI-FAT and FAU are due before the end of the week.

bigjim99
24th Jul 2013, 10:32
Great news! :D Have SNN and ORK crews completed training yet?

The Flying Cokeman
24th Jul 2013, 11:53
bigjim99, A Jetstream that is much quieter than an old ATR!? Are you having a laugh?????

I do not think you will find an aircraft being much more noisy than a J31 or J41! I have flown both Jetstream and ATR all models (except the -600) and the ATR is by far the quietest of them.

PlymSpotter
24th Jul 2013, 12:33
I'm intrigued, how can you think one is louder than the other if you have only flown the Jetstream?

I have flown in both many times in various seats. The Jetstreams make it difficult to have a conversation without raising your voice, the ATR meanwhile is pleasant and much quieter.

bigjim99
24th Jul 2013, 12:45
I have been a pax on both (all variants) and used to fly jetstreams but I've never stepped in the cockpit of an ATR.

PlymSpotter
24th Jul 2013, 14:19
Gotcha, thought you were meaning you had not been a pax either - I scanned past the details in your other post so my apologies.

m36mike
25th Jul 2013, 19:20
EI-FAU is due into DUB tomorrow evening from TLS.

IrishFlyer2013
25th Jul 2013, 19:24
FAT arrived in DUB this evening from TLS.

EI-A330-300
12th Aug 2013, 11:35
Aer Arann pilots back strike action - RTÉ News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0812/467681-aer-arann/)

ayroplain
12th Aug 2013, 11:54
Strike? The EI disease is spreading and that's the main reason I hope FR never get to take them over.

Was sent this youtube link this morning. Looks like a good decision to G/A
ATR-72 TAILSTRIKE & GO-AROUND - BHX - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=atFZU8NHibo)

propburner
14th Aug 2013, 12:41
Looks like all staff will be put on protective notice if this is not resolved soon, not good for a company who neary went under 2 years ago.
They will lose Aer Lingus customers over this strike notice....just when they were turning the corner on there path to survive,new aircraft/ routes and jobs on offer due expansion,this could be all over if this is not sorted soon:ugh:.

johnrizzo2000
14th Aug 2013, 13:46
RE surely have a service level agreement with EI, so potential disruption cant be good, and could end up costing RE a fortune! There are plenty of regional carriers (Flybe comes to mind!) that would jump at the opportunity to operate the Aer Lingus Regional services for Aer Lingus!

In better news, DUB-NCL is available for booking on aerlingus.com; seems to be daily and varies from mid morning to evening departure, which offers good connections to/from the USA

j636
14th Aug 2013, 13:56
DUB-NCL is 13 weekly

bcn_boy
14th Aug 2013, 13:57
Any chance they will reinstate the ORK - CWL route? Its long overdue a return.

adfly
14th Aug 2013, 14:52
ORK-SOU is another gap which needs filling.

johnrizzo2000
14th Aug 2013, 15:37
Just saw DUB-NCL is 13 weekly; aircraft starts in NCL at 08.30 and is finished in NCL early enough. There must be a ORK-NCL route to be loaded soon

14th Aug 2013, 15:51
Is there money to be made on ORK-NCL?

I can only see it working if Jet2 got forced off the route.

brian_dromey
14th Aug 2013, 15:52
ORK-NCL? That would be a strong move. Jet2 are already on the route, 2 weekly I think. Must perform OK, it's been around for 5+ years, never at great frequency though. Not sure that NCL would be my favoured route for EIR to launch from ORK. LBA, SOU as mentioned, CWL as well would add more coverage to the route map.

GAXLN
14th Aug 2013, 16:03
Looks to be a Dublin based aircraft so no link with Cork. Great news for Dublin passengers given the schedule and also US bound passengers who can take advantage of Dublin pre-clearance as they can arrive as domestic passengers in the US thus avoiding the queues on arrival.

Jamesair
14th Aug 2013, 17:20
Very smart move...gives NCL the NY access it craves.

Hangar6
14th Aug 2013, 17:31
And ORD BOS CHI YYZ SFO and even AUH with EY ?

EI-BUD
14th Aug 2013, 19:53
I would avoid jumping onto ORK NCL against Jet2 if I were AerLingus Regional.
Jet2 are well known and well established in the Newcastle where no doubt a significant proportion of the traffic will originate. Without an onward feed as in DUB a ORK route wouldn't seem to me a good option.

Jamesair
14th Aug 2013, 22:14
I think the timetable has been misread, both NCL flights originate in Dublin and have 25 min turnaround in NCL returning to Dublin. Any Cork flight would have to originate in Cork, which seems unlikely to me.

Hangar6
13th Sep 2013, 12:23
See EI-FAV in yesterday
One is off to Carliisle today some stobart show?

bigjim99
13th Sep 2013, 12:32
Hopefully that will give them spare capacity to fix the damage to the back of REO. Not got up close to it but from 10m away it didn't look too clever

bigjim99
19th Sep 2013, 09:28
I see that EI-CBK, EI-BYO, EI-EHH and EI-REM are now listed as for lease.

Wonder what removing the 42's from service means for the slimmer routes in 2014?

Cyrano
19th Sep 2013, 09:40
I see that EI-CBK, EI-BYO, EI-EHH and EI-REM are now listed as for lease.

Listed where?

bigjim99
19th Sep 2013, 09:49
myairlease.com

Jack1985
19th Sep 2013, 09:51
CPT is staying so it looks like that will look after the likes of KIR, IOM, BLK?

Cyrano
19th Sep 2013, 09:56
myairlease.com

Ah, OK, thanks.

Expressflight
19th Sep 2013, 11:54
I'm puzzled as to why they are offering these aircraft (3 x ATR42 & 1 x ATR72 by the way) on an operational lease or ACMI basis. I would have thought they would sell them off completely if they are not required for their own use, either on the existing network or anything else they may have planned for next year.

serko
20th Sep 2013, 06:34
short term lease maybe? I beleive there was the intention to do continental european flights from Southend next spring. As well as base an aicraft at Carlisle when it is developed.

caaardiff
20th Sep 2013, 09:13
With the 4 new -600's in service giving a fleet of 14, but a requirement for 11 aircraft from the schedule (not including any spare/maintenance requierments) and the remaining 4 -600's due in the next few months they will have a surplus of aircraft.
I'm not familiar with leasing agreements, are RE able to lease an aircraft out to another operator until the current lease runs out rather than paying lease termination fees costs?
If the intention is to get rid of the remaining -200's it's not worth starting new routes hiring new crew if the aircraft aren't staying to increase the schedule.

Dontgothere
20th Sep 2013, 12:59
Just to throw more doubt into the whole thing regarding the fleet, it appears that Myanmar Airways are looking to acquire the three remaining AT75s.

Myanmar Airways to Buy Planes from Irish Airline - The Irrawaddy Magazine | The Irrawaddy Magazine (http://www.irrawaddy.org/archives/43250)

Expressflight
21st Sep 2013, 07:43
That isn't quite what was said on eturbonews.com from which the newspaper report is taken. It said there that Mayanmar Airways wants to buy three ATR72-500s to replace grounded MA60s and identifies EI-REO as being its first intended purchase. It also mentions that additional capital will have to be found to finance its purchase, so it doesn't sound like a done deal.

It certainly doesn't say that all three aircraft would be sourced from Aer Arann, although that is a possibility of course.

Dontgothere
29th Sep 2013, 17:25
According to Planespotters.net, EI-EHH has been stored. Can anybody either affirm this, or discredit it?

bigjim99
29th Sep 2013, 18:46
Can't confirm it but certainly not seen her in about 6 weeks. Had just assumed she was on maintenance.

bigjim99
2nd Oct 2013, 14:05
Planespotters.net now only shows as 7x 72-600s joined/joining fleet

Dontgothere
2nd Oct 2013, 15:07
I think the 8th one is currently omitted because there's no construction number on it yet...

j636
4th Oct 2013, 12:29
Aer Arann wins Bronze in European aviation awards - Business - Business | Ireland's online business and management news service - Businessandleadership.com (http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/42929-aer-arann-wins-bronze-in)

well done to all.

bigjim99
9th Oct 2013, 08:45
Less than 2 months after joining CSA clad in the lovely Skyteam livery EI-SLL (Now OK-YFT) involved in a serious incident at BUD.

Incident: CSA AT72 at Budapest on Oct 2nd 2013, engine fire (http://avherald.com/h?article=46958d5c&opt=0)

Thankfully, all turned out well.

Dontgothere
11th Oct 2013, 16:47
BBC News - Cardiff Airport runway closed after Aer Lingus aircraft tyre bursts (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-24497121)

An Aer Lingus Regional flight stopped a bit short of the gate, do we know yet which aircraft is the one with the burst tyre?

mart901
11th Oct 2013, 16:55
EI-CBK I believe

Dontgothere
11th Oct 2013, 16:57
Again? Bloody Nora it doesn't have much luck with its tyres

Papa2Charlie
27th Oct 2013, 09:37
Just noticed this article stating that RE /Stobart expansion is on the cards from Southend. If it's not flown under the EI Regional banner, it would be interesting to see if the partner with any operator for a contract flying opportunity.....

Stobart plan to expand service boosts Aer Arann - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/stobart-plan-to-expand-service-boosts-aer-arann-29698400.html)

Jamie2k9
27th Oct 2013, 14:05
Just noticed this article stating that RE /Stobart expansion is on the cards from Southend. If it's not flown under the EI Regional banner, it would be interesting to see if the partner with any operator for a contract flying opportunity.....

Stobart plan to expand service boosts Aer Arann - Independent.ie (http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/stobart-plan-to-expand-service-boosts-aer-arann-29698400.html)

Another ones of Stobart's pipe dreams, won't happen, this is just another in a long line of planed UK growth.

wallp
27th Oct 2013, 15:02
As far as I can see, Stobart ruined RE by starting flights to/from Southend. RE had successful & profitable routes like Waterford to Luton, Birmingham & Manchester and Galway to Luton before he messed with them

vulcanised
27th Oct 2013, 15:55
Stobart ruined RE by starting flights to/from Southend

In case you hadn't noticed, Aer Arann were in administration when Stobart came along and rescued them.

j636
27th Oct 2013, 15:59
In case you hadn't noticed, Aer Arann were in administration when Stobart came along and rescued them.

They did but straight after they drove thousands of customers away and if EI didn't come to the rescue, RE and Stobart's investment would be worth nothing as RE wouldn't be here.

Nextprop
27th Oct 2013, 16:59
Another ones of Stobart's pipe dreams, won't happen, this is just another in a long line of planed UK growth.

What other pipe dreams have Stobart had? Who is really pulling the strings in RE at the moment? The interim CEO is still of course a Stobart man, Stobart still holds a 45% shareholding.

What has been alluded to in the Irish Independent article is not anything new. The plan to use Aer Aann to expand passenger throughput was stated in the Stobart's preliminary trading report from February.

dublinaviator
27th Oct 2013, 17:08
Aer Arann were already operating the Aer Lingus Regional franchise before they went into examinership. In fact it was Stobart who pushed for Aer Arann to focus on the franchise as they knew that's where the profit was. This focus on the franchise is what led to routes like Waterford-Luton being axed as there more money to be made elsewhere. Notwithstanding the risks associated with putting all your eggs into the one basket, the decision to focus on the franchise is why the company is in such a healthy state now.

Jamie2k9
27th Oct 2013, 17:41
What other pipe dreams have Stobart had? Who is really pulling the strings in RE at the moment? The interim CEO is still of course a Stobart man, Stobart still holds a 45% shareholding.

What has been alluded to in the Irish Independent article is not anything new. The plan to use Aer Aann to expand passenger throughput was stated in the Stobart's preliminary trading report from February.

Aer Lingus are more less running RE and they have invested in new aircraft for growth for themselves. RE currently have 12 active aircraft, 3 more due when the others arrive some will be sold on so capacity will be limited.

Stabarts have talked loads about basing aircraft in the UK and SEN wasn't the only airport. It's simply not going to happen. No market for it.

This focus on the franchise is what led to routes like Waterford-Luton being axed as there more money to be made elsewhere.

It was scrapped because of the short sited shareholders. Stabart's preferred to get passengers into the construction site that was SEN in March 2011 risking the viability and profitability of an airline to get some good PR around SEN.

Mlinnie
27th Oct 2013, 18:29
New routes to be announced on Tuesday, what can be expected?

Dublin-Liverpool, Inverness, Leeds or Newquay?
Cork-Cardiff, Southampton, Newquay?
Shannon-Bristol?

Expressflight
27th Oct 2013, 18:30
Jamie2k9

Whether or not RE's tentative plans for a SEN-based operation next Spring come to fruition or not is clearly a matter for reasonable speculation. But to state that there is "No market for it" you would need to know exactly what is being planned. Do you really have that knowledge? If not then surely your statement doesn't have any worthwhile basis.

cornishsimon
27th Oct 2013, 18:46
NQY has got to crop up eventually as they are running out of routes to operate ex DUB & ORK !!!!!

However DUB-NQY would make sense as its a tried and tested route, possibly daily during summer and 3 weekly winter ?

cs

Dontgothere
27th Oct 2013, 20:09
Without wishing to cause your dreams to crash-land Simon, there's more airports out there than just Newquay. Places like Inverness would be in the queue ahead of Newquay, plus it would want to focus on preserving the routes it already has (and the airport officials seem unable to do that).

EI-BUD
27th Oct 2013, 20:30
I'd be surprised to see INV reappear given it was previously chopped and ABZ frequency was increased etc.

If I were a betting man I'd say it will revolve around Dublin. That makes sense given the security it brings, protected from Ryanair to some extent with transatlantic connections. Shannon too exposed to FR expansion at current time...

Leeds top of the list. Would they venture into London City given WX weakened state? And the connectivity of EI via DUB to USA could be a long term right fit?? Would certainly be good for EI giving them 4 London airports....?

Otherwise, I think the obvious destinations for consideration would be the ex Aer Lingus Commuter destinations of EMA, LPL...

Cyrano
27th Oct 2013, 21:13
NQY has got to crop up eventually as they are running out of routes to operate ex DUB & ORK !!!!!

So the NQY marketing pitch to an airline is "Newquay - for when you've got no other options"??

However DUB-NQY would make sense as its a tried and tested route, possibly daily during summer and 3 weekly winter ?
cs

Do you really see any demand at all for a DUB-NQY in winter or for more than a low-frequency service in summer?

When I'm considering a new route I try to imagine who the passengers will be. Who would they be on DUB-NQY in summer? Irish surfers? Cornish tourists en route to the US? This is a sincere question: you say "daily during summer and 3 weekly winter" so what sort of passengers are going to fill all those seats?

Leeds top of the list. Would they venture into London City given WX weakened state?
I absolutely agree with you on Leeds, maybe followed by EMA and LPL. Personally I don't see RE going to LCY just now - picking a fight with even a weakened WX doesn't make too much sense, RE doesn't have the aircraft to offer a good frequency on DUB-LCY, and in any case Stobart sees Southend as the holy grail for all of eastern London and a potential competitor for LCY.

cornishsimon
27th Oct 2013, 21:23
Do you really see any demand at all for a DUB-NQY in winter or for more than
a low-frequency service in summer?

When I'm considering a new route I
try to imagine who the passengers will be. Who would they be on DUB-NQY in
summer? Irish surfers? Cornish tourists en route to the US? This is a sincere
question: you say "daily during summer and 3 weekly winter" so what sort of
passengers are going to fill all those seats?

well tourists in both direction sustained the route during the SZ days so I see no reason why with advertising it shouldn't work again ?

I know its a different sized aircraft with EIr but still, iv previously used NQY-DUB and the DH8-300 had a decent load, clearly I have no idea on yields.

but with advertising and the onward connection possibilities that EI would bring to the table I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

However, I do agree that LBA-DUB would have to be seen as a good bet well ahead of any marginal routes such as NQY.

cs

bigjim99
28th Oct 2013, 11:27
From what I can gather DUB-BLK, DUB-BOH and BHX-NOC are being dropped for summer 2014. This will then free A/C up for EIR to start building some new routes to major cities. With NCL having now started, I can see them challenging similar FR routes like LPL, EMA and LBA out of DUB.

The EDI-SNN will be operated by an SNN aircraft which may allow for a new destination out of ORK by leaving it as a 2 A/C base

On another note, has EI-REO now left the fleet?

cornishsimon
29th Oct 2013, 14:59
No new routes announced yet ?

cs

EI-A330-300
29th Oct 2013, 15:18
It was only rumoured but they have announced that capacity for winter will grow by 100,000 seats, largely at DUB but a little at ORK.

Dontgothere
29th Oct 2013, 17:57
I myself didn't think there'd be new routes announced this time, they only released the Newcastle one after all. Simon, I know that you have an unwavering belief that Newquay will one day get it's Dublin route, but for the next 10 years, don't get your hopes up too high. The point I tried to make on Inverness is that would be more eligible than Newquay, even Norwich would be higher up the list than Newquay (and airlines are usually running out of UK routes when they turn to Norwich (I should know, from Aug 02 to Sep 13 it was my nearest airport)).

Vapor
30th Oct 2013, 14:53
Liverpool please :)

MARKEYD
30th Oct 2013, 15:18
Is Bournemouth and Blackpool really for the chop ?

I know both airports are last to be released for selling seats especially this winter but at least they have and especially for the BOH route i was under the impression loads were quite satisfactory on a leisure route ?

Jack1985
5th Nov 2013, 18:45
Hi everyone just received a text that an Aer Lingus Regional ATR has declared emergency and made a successful emergency landing with engine failure in Liverpool can anyone confirm? Aircraft being evacuated apparently, no details on flight or aircraft.

Jack1985
5th Nov 2013, 18:51
Just receiving details flight involved is REA327M opby EI-REL

Jamie2k9
5th Nov 2013, 18:55
Jack

ORK-EDI diverted into DUB earlier, could be that flight again.

Edit I see you figured which one it was.

Jack1985
5th Nov 2013, 19:01
The flight was from Manchester to Dublin as REA327M (EI3327)

http://s8.postimg.org/fmk28cwlx/BYU71jq_IYAA3_Ud0.jpg (http://postimage.org/)
image hosting over 2mb (http://postimage.org/)

bigjim99
5th Nov 2013, 19:09
Didn't REI go tech in MAN this morning too?

Papa2Charlie
5th Nov 2013, 21:35
I doubt this along with the other events since the EI Regional brand came into existence will go down well in Hangar 6..........

Looks like everyone made away safely so that's the main thing however.

Mlinnie
25th Nov 2013, 15:18
Blackpool and Bournemouth have been loaded onto the timetable for S14

Jamie2k9
26th Nov 2013, 21:56
DUB-JER from 30 March, replacing mainline.

Dontgothere
26th Nov 2013, 22:24
ATR 72-201 EI-REH returned to lessor on 25/11/13. If I may be so bold as to ask, does Aer Arann have a structure to its replacement plan?

mathers_wales_uk
26th Nov 2013, 22:57
I believe EI-FAW is due at anytime now and may have even been delivered to enter service tomorrow. It would kind of make seense to remove the odd balls in the fleet.

EI-FAX is due in December so would assume that EI-REI will also be leaving the fleet.

What you have to consider that EI-REI & EI-REH are both odd balls in the EIR ATR-72 fleet and this move will actually bring some commonality.

I was under the impression however that they were owned by Air Contractors so suprised EI-REH went to Toulouse.

Jack1985
26th Nov 2013, 23:30
EI-FAW was delivered this evening :), just wondering with EI-REM, EI-REI and EI-REL all next to go have they any plan to replace the ATR42's? or even additional orders to grow the overall fleet?

Dontgothere
27th Nov 2013, 12:10
Actually, now that you bring up the AT43s Jack, how are they doing on reliability do you know? I suppose now they're getting near to the 25 year old mark that Christoph Mueller wouldn't really want them flying about displaying the Shamrock much longer. So what will RE do in the coming months and years regarding this fleet?

As for growing the fleet, I believe that RE may wish to convert their two options into firm orders.

bigjim99
27th Nov 2013, 14:22
REH was leased from ATR wasn't it?

SLN was due to be returned to Air Contractors in Dec 2013 but maybe thats gone already?

I an guessing that ORK & SNN crews have now completed -600 training?

I know I have moaned for years about the state of REI/REH but they are the most comfortable from a business traveller point of view since they had the cabin refit. Has anyone else tried to open a laptop and work on it using the seat table on the crampt 600's? It is impossible. It annoys me so much that after being loyal to EIR since its beginning, I might have to go back to FR as I can at least get work done on board. My first -600 trip was on a flight with Sean Brogan and after 20 minutes of failing to find a position that I could balance the laptop so to open the screen far enough to see it I nearly launched the ruddy thing at him in sheer frustration.

The -500's were tight enough but with the -600's having an extended front cargo hold there is even less room. So to fit 72 seats, they have installed those awful slimline seats similar to LS.

Such a minor point but so frustrating when you spend hundreds of hours each year staring out of the window bored instead of being able to get on with work.

Such a silly point could cost them nearly a 6 figure sum of revenue from me.

Jack1985
27th Nov 2013, 15:55
Actually, now that you bring up the AT43s Jack, how are they doing on reliability do you know? I suppose now they're getting near to the 25 year old mark that Christoph Mueller wouldn't really want them flying about displaying the Shamrock much longer. So what will RE do in the coming months and years regarding this fleet?

As for growing the fleet, I believe that RE may wish to convert their two options into firm orders.

I'm not sure about the ATR43's haven't seen them around Cork in a long while! They seemed to have better reliability than the aircraft leased from Air Contractors though! I would hope they would be retired although they seem to be the perfect aircraft to fly on the marginal routes like the Blackpool, Bournemouth, Isle of Man and Kerry so maybe we could the ATR46's sometime?

Wasn't too sure about those further two options for new ATR76's, good to know! :)

REH was leased from ATR wasn't it?

I believe so along with REI, I'd have to wonder though maybe Aer Arann had to or have to pay some compensation to ATR after that heavy landing with REH in Cork back in May 2012? I remember her being parked up for a few weeks in Cork with technicians around her on a daily basis.

SLN was due to be returned to Air Contractors in Dec 2013 but maybe thats gone already?

The Regional fleet consists of the following now;

ATR42-300
EI-BYO
EI-CBK
EI-CPT
EI-EHH

ATR72-201
EI-REI

ATR72-500 (72-212A)
EI-REL
EI-REM (Going to Myanma Airways anytime now)

ATR72-600 (72-212A)
EI-FAS
EI-FAT
EI-FAU
EI-FAV
EI-FAW

Returned Aircraft

ATR72-201
EI-REH went back to Toulouse on the 25th of November 2013.

ATR72-212
EI-SLL was returned back to Air Contractors on the 25th of April 2013.
EI-SLN was returned back to Air Contractors on the 29th of October 2013.

To other operator

ATR72-500 (72-212A)
EI-REO now flying with Myanma Airways since the 21st of October 2013.
EI-REP now flying with Yangon Airways since the 16th of July 2013.

Dontgothere
27th Nov 2013, 16:10
All I know is that the options exist, I'm just hoping that RE do exercise these options, because there is no way that their fleet, no matter how modern could actually keep up with the work.

After having a look on Planespotters, there are some AT45s now out of work that RE could snap up, but then again AT46s seem to be the more logical option as they use the exact same engines as the AT76s.

mart901
24th Dec 2013, 21:54
EIR have flights loaded BHX-DUB daily and more at weekends, MAN-DUB twice daily

U2KK26L
27th Dec 2013, 15:19
I would of though when RE ordered the AT76 they would of perhaps ordered 2-3 AT46 for the thinner routes. E.G IOM/KIR/BLK and quite a lot of the time SEN/BOH/BRS/SNN etc. There a plenty of routes that operate with the 42's and I would think for there brand image, pax are not going to like occasionally travelling on the nice 76's then having to go to EIEHH! Not sure how much work there planning on getting out of there current 42's

Cyrano
27th Dec 2013, 19:27
I would of though when RE ordered the AT76 they would of perhaps ordered 2-3 AT46 for the thinner routes. E.G IOM/KIR/BLK and quite a lot of the time SEN/BOH/BRS/SNN etc. There a plenty of routes that operate with the 42's and I would think for there brand image, pax are not going to like occasionally travelling on the nice 76's then having to go to EIEHH! Not sure how much work there planning on getting out of there current 42's

of = have
there = their

You're making the assumption that the ATR42-600 is significantly cheaper to operate than the ATR72-600.

It isn't.

A glance at the order book for the -600s will demonstrate that operators have figured this out. Virtually all outstanding orders are for -72s. The 42-600 gives you no appreciable saving in DOCs but about 1/3 fewer seats compared to the 72-600.

vulcanised
27th Dec 2013, 19:42
You missed one

though=thought (as in, not enough given to post)

EI-A330-300
27th Dec 2013, 20:04
Heard a rumour RE are getting rid of some if not all of the current 42's as soon as someone takes them off there hands.

The PSO routes are up again next year so weather RE go for one or both or even get the contract again is another question.

Jack1985
27th Dec 2013, 21:46
The PSO routes are up again next year so weather RE go for one or both or even get the contract again is another question.

How does Kerry perform even if subsidised? It's crazy to think the Loganair service to Donegal for a 19Y aircraft is never really full, didn't RE fly like up to three times daily a few years back with 42's and 72's, demand can go so quick!

Cian
27th Dec 2013, 22:13
The Loganair SF340's are 34Y. The CFN-DUB morning and DUB-CFN evening legs are significantly busier than the opposite direction.

I'm fairly certain that RE never operated more than 2x daily and they also operated less PIK/GLA-CFN flights.

mart901
27th Dec 2013, 22:15
In this season of peace and goodwill to all men, could we possibly quit with the spell checking and pulling a new members post to pieces so as to exude superior knowledge, its almost as irritating as people correcting airport codes. Its quite obvious what people mean in the majority of cases and prediction of words throw up anomalies on many devices.
The point made about the 42's being a better fit for thinner routes is not exactly a ridiculous one is it.....given the fact you have half the cabin crew cost.

EI-A330-300
27th Dec 2013, 22:36
Jack

This latest article in the examiner says the route is doing well.

Kerry Airport sees 22% rise on Dublin route | Irish Examiner (http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/kerry-airport-sees-22-rise-on-dublin-route-252961.html)

U2KK26L
27th Dec 2013, 23:18
Cost savings of operating the 42 compared to the 72 are as follows;
Lower ground handling costs,
Lower landing fees at some airports especially regionals,
Half the cabin crew costs,
There will be a fuel saving albeit not a significant amount but still a saving,
A lot of operators favour the 72 because with higher pax loads all of the above costs are then accounted for with additional revenue whereas if you are averaging 30 pax on a particular route, the 42 is the obvious answer.

Jack1985
29th Dec 2013, 02:19
The Loganair SF340's are 34Y. The CFN-DUB morning and DUB-CFN evening legs are significantly busier than the opposite direction.

I'm fairly certain that RE never operated more than 2x daily and they also operated less PIK/GLA-CFN flights.

Cheers thanks for that, good to know its operating ok it seems. :ok:

Jack

This latest article in the examiner says the route is doing well.

Kerry Airport sees 22% rise on Dublin route | Irish Examiner

Wow kind of surprised at that! Just wondering does anyone think when disposable income begins to rise, does air travel domestically see a boom? It seemed to be the case pre 2008 (from 1994 onwards). Not saying disposable income for all is rising as in my case it certainly is NOT, however the Irish economy is showing overwhelming signs of positivity in the recent months beating so called financial analysts.

Cian
29th Dec 2013, 15:23
All forms of domestic transport increase in use as the economy improves - but I seriously doubt it'll provide justification for GWY/SXL/probably even ORK to resume. Motorways and other road improvements make the end to end time pointless. ORK might be able to live off connections, but that's not even assured.

CCR
30th Dec 2013, 12:45
Think a renewed Dublin-Cork service could comfortably live off connections, not only from Aer Lingus but all the US carriers, Emirates, Etihad, Turkish, Lufthansa, Air France/Cityjet etc.

Jack1985
30th Dec 2013, 18:04
Think a renewed Dublin-Cork service could comfortably live off connections, not only from Aer Lingus but all the US carriers, Emirates, Etihad, Turkish, Lufthansa, Air France/Cityjet etc.

The 42's would be well suited to that.

Heads up for some of you interested, EI-FAX now approaching Dublin on delivery.

cloudier
30th Dec 2013, 18:26
EI-FAX JUST ABOUT TO LAND IN DUBLIN

Dontgothere
22nd Jan 2014, 16:11
EI-REH was ferried from Toulouse to Cork yesterday, so I can only imagine that it must be going back into use with Aer Arann.

Anyone else knows more about this?

Hangar6
22nd Jan 2014, 16:33
Due on the dub route !!

Jack1985
22nd Jan 2014, 17:12
Oh politics and apples etc .. elaborate? highly doubt anything other then an ATR42 would be used.

Dontgothere
22nd Jan 2014, 17:27
Well this is the first I'm hearing of any ORK-DUB route. That said, I was also surprised that RE expected to be able to expand with the same fleet numbers as they already had, so I'm sure the AT72s are needed still.

rallye parachute
22nd Jan 2014, 18:38
I'm not sure where your info is coming from but REH never left the fleet.

Dontgothere
22nd Jan 2014, 18:53
According to Irish Aviation Research institute (or else some spotting blog), and Jethro's Fleet listings it was withdrawn, was it down in Toulouse for maintenance then?

EI-A330-300
22nd Jan 2014, 19:02
Let's say ORK-DUB is back, the primary purpose will be T/A feed as Short Haul feed is limited. Will it not jus take from AMS/LHR, now I'm sure in principal EI would be happy to take from them but they could see an affect on the SH sectors as a result.

CCR
22nd Jan 2014, 20:33
Aer Lingus will make a lot more on long haul from connecting Cork pax than they will lose on connecting short haul flights to LHR and AMS.
Hope this restored connectivity to Cork will not just be restricted to Aer Lingus long haul services but also extend to the likes of Etihad, Turkish and Emirates.

Jack1985
22nd Jan 2014, 21:24
Think a lot of you are viewing the ORK-AMS/LHR sectors naively. We had 13+ flights a day between ORK-DUB in 2007 using a mix of 737's and ATR's and back then also we had 5 flights a day between ORK-LHR and had between 11 (Summer) and 13 weekly (Winter) flights to AMS (presently 13 weekly year-round). Aer Lingus has gradually built up demand to AMS, its extremely popular with weekender's, the Dutch and connections with KLM mainly to Asia and South America. British Airways connections via LHR are small enough and mainly to the US. The increased demand for services from Ireland to the US which continues to boom resulting in a huge increase in destinations and frequencies, has resulted in some connecting passengers being taken away from using ORK-LHR and yet we have high enough demand again resulting in the 5 daily flights between ORK-LHR being restored for S14.

I would not be concerned about ORK-DUB impacting on these services, at all.

Dontgothere
24th Jan 2014, 21:13
Right, according to the Irish Aviation Research Institute, REI has been ferried to Sonderborg, what's going on there then? On maintenance?

Jack1985
24th Jan 2014, 22:13
Right, according to the Irish Aviation Research Institute, REI has been ferried to Sonderborg, what's going on there then? On maintenance?

Light maintenance, heavy maintenance is done by the manufacturer ATR in Toulouse so that explains where REH was.

The Flying Cokeman
25th Jan 2014, 18:19
Cimber A/S does ATR light/heavy maintenance from Sonderborg so that would probably also explain why it's there. RE has used them before for maintenance.

Dontgothere
25th Jan 2014, 19:46
Thanks lads for explaining what's going on. I always thought that if RE sent an aircraft off for maintenance, it would go Monchengladbach. Is it more spur of the moment or was there something going amiss there?

Geo73
26th Jan 2014, 11:45
EI-REH routed Toulouse-Francazal - Toulouse-Blaganac - Cork on 21st January.

I think you will find the heavy maintenance was done at Toulouse-Francazal by Atlantic Air Industries (AAI).

Mlinnie
27th Jan 2014, 15:13
Can we expect any new routes to be launched for S14 from DUB?

mikkie4
27th Jan 2014, 21:59
100,000th passenger flew out on the 27/01/14 not bad going:D:D:D:D

EI-A330-300
8th Feb 2014, 16:46
Not sure how true but over on another forum a post said that one of the last 72-600's will be coming in all white and a new carrier and base will be announced in the UK. :confused:

If correct would image it's something to do with SEN?

tws123
8th Feb 2014, 16:58
Well this would make sense since Stobart have been on about expanding SEN using Aer Arann to European destinations for Spring 2014. Plus on the Southend thread a route announcement is apparently due soon. This could be interesting news... and yes SEN would seem to be the most likely candidate for a UK base.

Barling Magna
9th Feb 2014, 16:10
Probably just a rumour. However, it may tie in with another rumour that new route announcements will be made at the opening of the expanded terminal at the end of the month.... or not. Perhaps.

EI-BUD
9th Feb 2014, 18:42
Southend needs an airline brand that can make a real impact. A brand that will be consulted on the continent and not just around the Southend area. If AerArann is to be the vehicle, I think it needs to wear a brand that brings notoriety to the airport. Perhaps a franchise arrangement not unlike Aer Lingus Regional. While it is difficult to pick a branding for such an arrangement I'd suggest BA is a good place to start, or Flybe, while not the ideal it could bd one way of attracting Flybe to additional routes ex SEN such as BHD EDI and GLA etc.

CabinCrewe
9th Feb 2014, 20:16
The BA franchise days are long gone.... (except a few historical companies ie Sun Air)

Barra Airways
10th Feb 2014, 09:53
And what is with the Eastern Saab 2000 at LCY? That shows that BA indeed goes new ways and why not using RE´s AT7´s for an entrance into SEN? Does anybody know when the route announcements will take place? I´ve heared rumors for already mid February!

virginblue
10th Feb 2014, 10:20
The Eastern Saab 2000 at LCY is no franchise, but a straightforward lease by BA. So unlike in an franchise scenario, all commercial risks are with BA and nobody is paying BA for the use of its brand.

tws123
10th Feb 2014, 10:31
Indeed I hope that Aer Arann get the partnership right, and I can't see it being BA when they operate from LCY.

EI-A330-300
10th Feb 2014, 12:44
I don't think Aer Arann will have much choice to do this weather they want to or not, Stobart want it and they will be the ones that will screw it up as there is no way that any airline in London can compete with jet carriers on routes and for low cost flights.

Expressflight
10th Feb 2014, 15:17
EI-A330-300

I disagree with you on your latter point.

There are a considerable number of routes into LON that are simply too thin to attract the LoCo majors' interest, yet that still have sufficient demand to support multiple weekly services employing ATR or similar aircraft. You have only to look at many of the LCY routes to realise that surely, but operators there have to be able to generate sufficient revenues to cover the high operating costs so their options remain limited.

I see no reason why half a dozen or more currently unserved routes to LON should not be profitable into somewhere like SEN. Whether or not this turns out to be what Aer Arann have in mind remains to be seen of course.

Barra Airways
12th Feb 2014, 06:48
There was a rumour that route announcements will take place when the refurbished terminal at SEN will be opened. When will the construction work be finished?

Barling Magna
12th Feb 2014, 07:08
The expanded terminal should be opening in mid-March.

The Airport's just got bigger (From Southend Standard) (http://www.southendstandard.co.uk/news/10979272.The_Airport_s_just_got_bigger/)

Beware the ides of March......

sxflyer
12th Feb 2014, 11:23
Potential routes without service (or service to cease shortly) with strong inbound potential and limited scope for LCCs due to relatively small markets).

Maastricht
Groningen
Munster
Paderborn
Saarbrucken
Erfurt
Dijon
Kristiansand
Esbjerg

I'm sure there are others, but certainly an announcement is apparently imminent on a new route to London from Munster.

One or two leisure routes for the UK market to Northern France I suspect may also appear such as Deauville

tws123
12th Feb 2014, 11:39
I believe Caen is proposed.

EI-A330-300
12th Feb 2014, 13:52
Reports on twitter than an 42 was knocked over on stand at SNN by wind earlier. Needless to say the airport has closed as has Cork, Kerry, Waterford.

Dontgothere
12th Feb 2014, 14:36
I think the kite involved is BYO (I couldn't tell well from the pic), the picture shows substantial damage done to the underneath. Write-off?

Someone tweeted it.

https://twitter.com/CathalKavanagh/status/433619482024898560/photo/1

Jack1985
12th Feb 2014, 14:42
I think the kite involved is BYO (I couldn't tell well from the pic), the picture shows substantial damage done to the underneath. Write-off?

Someone tweeted it.

Spot-on its EI-BYO, looks to me as if the left main gear has collapsed and left wing has been damaged - Could also be prop damage! Aircraft should not have been parked nose in with gust winds above 50kts coming from the West. :sad:

Barra Airways
13th Feb 2014, 10:39
Sxflyer wrote
I'm sure there are others, but certainly an announcement is apparently imminent on a new route to London from Munster.

That´s interesting. What is the source of that information and when is the announcement? Will there be other routes to Germany, too?

tws123
13th Feb 2014, 16:42
If Deauville can work from LCY, I don't see why the much larger city of Caen could not sustain a London route to/from SEN.

Looking at the CityJet website Deauville operates 2x weekly currently (with probably more frequencies during the summer period), but this is more focused on tourism whereas Caen (I assume) would be more focused on attracting business travellers as well as tourists.

We will wait and see on this one, it might not even happen...

AB6464
14th Feb 2014, 08:04
Yes, the announcement will be within the next two weeks, but so far it is not confirmed that this will be Aer Arann to SEN. We people from the Münster/Osnabrück area are currently dying to find out which airline will operate to London after the shutdown of Cityjet´s LCY route in March and apparently several airport workers do already know, but they won´t tell anybody as the airport has strictly instructed them to kepp quiet.

davidjohnson6
14th Feb 2014, 08:09
sxflyer - what made you put Erfurt on the list ? I thought Germania fly 2x weekly to.Hatwick or has that been announced for closure ?

sxflyer
14th Feb 2014, 09:21
My logic for suggesting Erfurt was based on its limited market and relatively isolated position to other competing airports, and being within a reasonable distance for an ATR. It was previously served daily by FR. I have to admit I had no idea there was the current service to LGW.

Dontgothere
15th Feb 2014, 15:22
Now that we're a few days on from the calamity involving EI-BYO at SNN, does anyone know what's going to happen to it? Seeing as it is one of the oldest aircraft (if not the oldest) in regular passenger service on the Irish Register, it would not surprise me to see it being written-off.

EI-BUD
15th Feb 2014, 15:27
EI BYO has an interesting history, having flown for FR and if not mistaken it was there last example in 1992, flying STN WAT GWY and possibly KIR?
At a time it operated ex IOM by FR for Manx Airlines!

Dontgothere
16th Feb 2014, 01:05
I have also seen an image on Flickr, the caption states that EI-CPT is stored (presumably out of service) at DUB. The titles have been removed from at least one side, one would like to know the master plan for RE 42s over the next couple years.

Here's a linky: EI-CPT ATR-42 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/32190379@N02/12445376413/in/photolist-jXKNPp-juxq9a-jeFsBT-j1Dbqp-iDEWKd-iA3Bdq-izimeT-ixxdXK-i9zNBn-hEY4QJ-hEXRdD-gYKnEz-gQpno1-gQpopa-gMkxYW-gwPxw6-gfeZSY-fY12xz-fN5rZk-fHsfN5-fCNNdF-fATMXB-fozRYd-fkmhXS-fhcKpU-fgrSx6-faoRMF-f8w8pg-f7BkLx-f6Vq6U-f2Rtxi-f2Rtz2-eXVsAF-eY7QS9-eY7Qjd-eXLLtP-eP1gEV-eNA9Y7-eLpnu5-eKNGQ5-eCQMzv-evVsuV-ejZkru-ej2eEA-ein5mT-eisNGW-eisQbb-ehs9J9-ehb1xY-egtXHm-ef4X4g)

EI-A330-300
16th Feb 2014, 01:17
They will hang on to them as long as possible, if they go and this is written off quiet likely it could undermine some operations and could lead to closure.

Remember SNN is a 42 base year round now with the 72 coming for summer, if that 42 is gone and replaced by a 72 how long will EIR keep up the extra costs when clearly a 42 size base is suitable particularly in winter.

The PSO's are up this year, will EIR go again for KIR, 42 operation, will a 72 cover the extra costs involved.

This 42 could have bad implications if scrapped.

chuboy
16th Feb 2014, 01:42
Regarding the PSO tenders, what are the chances EI will try and win back the rights to DUB-CFN? With aircraft potentially written off/out of service that may well be a revenue stream they can't take advantage of seeing as the route was run using 42s as well.

I would have thought EI would try and bid on it anyway given that they have potential feeder traffic from EY.

EI-BUD
16th Feb 2014, 03:28
The 42's put in an appearance on many routes including SEN, BLK, IOM, NCL, BOU plus domestics ... Standardisation of the fleet could bring benefits, but a small unit can be a good vehicle in developing new routes like NCL in the face of FR competition as they become well established on such a route, and naturally on thinner routes like domestics and IOM .

Does anybody have any details on the difference on fuel burn would be over similar sectors between the new 72's and the 42's??

Expressflight
16th Feb 2014, 07:58
Perhaps I'm missing something here, but surely if any airline's operational requirement/plans dictate that they need aircraft the size of the 42 then they number the fleet accordingly. They are not limited to the fleet size they currently have on strength.

I understood that EI-BYO was leased from NAC so surely it could be similarly replaced if it turns out to be a write-off, should a four-strong 42 fleet be deemed necessary. It strikes me that a mixed 42/72 fleet still looks eminently sensible for their route network.

Dontgothere
16th Feb 2014, 12:00
Anyhow, seeing as the SNN kerfuffle has now befallen EI-BYO, I think that we can assume that CPT may be brought back into use for the meantime. Or was 'RE considering moving on to a more modern version of the 42? Perhaps getting some 500s?

fivejuliet
16th Feb 2014, 12:17
It was always planned to dispose of three and keep one '42, for KIR and IOM.

SNN was to be 1x 72 and 1x42 this summer, though now that they are minus a 42 sooner than they planned who knows what will happen.

Cyrano
16th Feb 2014, 12:36
Does anybody have any details on the difference on fuel burn would be over similar sectors between the new 72's and the 42's??

I think a bigger factor than the fuel burn is likely to be the aircraft capital cost. A twenty-something-year-old ATR42 can be leased for perhaps $40k-$50k per month whereas the equivalent for a brand new ATR72-600 is probably closer to $180k. That's around $4500 extra revenue per day that the airline needs to find, just to cover the lease costs. (Of course maintenance costs will be lower for the new aircraft.)

EI-BUD
16th Feb 2014, 14:54
Thanks Cyrano, I had considered as much , I'm just curious as an aside specifically how the 2 machines actually compare on fuel burn .

If you consider Loganair, their 340's probably quite cost effective on the capital side.... Hence ideal for their thin routes..

Expressflight
16th Feb 2014, 15:12
EI-BUD

Some statistics that I gathered for a previous project suggested 610kg/hr for the ATR42-300 and 750kg/hr for the ATR72-500. I'm not sure how the -600 would compare with the latter and the sector length under study was 200nm.

EI-BUD
16th Feb 2014, 19:30
Thanks Expressflight . So about 23% extra fuel burn on 72 ...

Hangar6
16th Feb 2014, 19:47
Add in an extra CC for six to eight sectors per day , every day , that's a big
Leap in costs for those thin but developing routes !

EI-BUD
16th Feb 2014, 20:44
Yes Hangar6 there would be need for an extra CC, and additional cost in terms of capital costs of the aircraft etc. but my query was specifically about fuel burn...

At the rate of cost involved to deploy a 72 to some of the mentioned routes it may leave a couple of options:
1. Buy additional 42's second hand on the market at good price, if available
2. Close some of the impacted routes
3. Contract another airline to operate same with suitably sized equipment

EI-BUD

Dontgothere
16th Feb 2014, 20:57
How does an ATR 42-500 compare with 300? Danish Air Transport has some ATR 42-500s available for lease. (c/n 498 and 514 (I think)).

As much as one would wish for it, I don't see the 42-600 ever coming into service with RE.

mart901
16th Feb 2014, 21:39
Knowing RE some other old carthorse will get rolled out of somewhere.

Jack1985
16th Feb 2014, 22:48
Knowing RE some other old carthorse will get rolled out of somewhere.

Very dim view of RE, not going to happen either with EI looking over there shoulders.

The Flying Cokeman
16th Feb 2014, 23:06
Dontgothere,

It's long time ago since I flew the ATR but seem to remember the 42-500 burns about 120 kg/hr more than the -300 so quite close to the ATR 72 fuel burn. But the fastest of the 3 models. No idea about the -600.

mart901
17th Feb 2014, 07:15
Jack

I love RE and the oldest of old 42's, its not a dim view I'm just saying they will wield an old bird out of somewhere. This is the RE way. I certainly hope nothing will suffer like the additional SNN frequencies/route.

Dontgothere
18th Feb 2014, 23:51
While it seems like RE plan to cut down to one or two ATR 42s as per fivejuliet's post, shall I throw another yet another solution into the equation? Perhaps they will take on the two ATR 42-420s in the world (currently retired post-Conviasa).

For anyone wondering (although I expect most of you will know anyway), a 420 is basically a 320 in mechanical terms (aside from having 6 blade propeller), but it has a 500's interior. I suppose that's a way of improving the experience short term.

tws123
21st Feb 2014, 11:04
Jobs are being advertised for a new Aer Arann base at Southend. They are also funding training for the ATR72-600 type which suggests that the last one to be delivered will be going to SEN (EI-FCY). Contracts start at the end of March, beginning of April. Good news that effectively confirms what we suspected!

Link: ***NEW BASE*** London Southend ATR Captains with Sigma Aviation Services | 1401384315 (http://jobs.flightglobal.com/job/1401384315/-new-base-london-southend-atr-captains/?TrackID=4023#sc=socialmedia&me=socialmedia&cm=0)

BHD2BFS
21st Feb 2014, 12:08
Maybe they will be able to sustain routes such as Belfast and Edinburgh that ezy could not.
Atr would be perfect size for them

Dontgothere
27th Feb 2014, 00:07
What do you all make of this photo I came across? AER ARRANN ATR 42 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/60949076@N05/12529792314/)

Hangar6
27th Feb 2014, 07:19
24 years old damaged beyond economic repair so stored for now ?
That's my guess anyway

MCDU2
27th Feb 2014, 08:10
So just perfect for some third world African despot then as just one example.

Just a spotter
27th Feb 2014, 14:40
I believe they're awaiting the assessors report.

JAS

Jack1985
27th Feb 2014, 15:46
Poor bird :sad:, a friend in Dublin has said Aer Arann are actively pursuing a replacement, so it would seem they believe it will be a W/O.

Barling Magna
27th Feb 2014, 17:37
Any cabin crew fancy living on the Essex Riviera...?

Apply for the Cabin Crew job posted by Aer Arann | Jobs.CabinCrew.com (http://jobs.cabincrew.com/jobs/cabin_crew/london/cabin_crew-97848.html)

bigjim99
28th Feb 2014, 09:45
Hasn't EI-CPT been brought back into action to cover?

Dontgothere
28th Feb 2014, 09:52
As far as I am aware, EI-CPT is with us again

davidjohnson6
28th Feb 2014, 10:34
How long does it take to hire flight deck + cabin crew, train them up and get them in a state ready to operate flights ? I'm guessing from initial job adverts through interviewing and training we're talking at least a few months. I assume there will also be a lead time between flights going on sale and operating of at least 3 months to allow for effective promotion

When therefore could RE really launch a Southend base ?
Is the start of high summer possible or is September more realistic ?
Am wondering if Aer Arann have left things a bit late to catch summer 2014 demand and are thus going to see a somewhat mediocre commercial result for 2014

tws123
28th Feb 2014, 13:42
I don't know exactly what this involves, but the contracts begin at the end of March/beginning of April so do we assume that this is when training begins, or when operations begin? Surely they wouldn't need that much training?

Jack1985
28th Feb 2014, 16:18
Aer Arann only take on Cabin Crew with previous experience so the induction is quite short 3-6 weeks depending on experience, as for Flight Deck crews there is a famous holding pool in which applicants can get a TR then wait to be called, that final prep could be between 1-2 months, so a early May/June launch is quite plausible.

However, I really don't get the need to create a new brand for this airline, and its obvious EI won't be giving there brand to these selection of routes, I don't see why Aer Arann just use the aircraft for further home-growth - Maybe they have a good business case, or maybe this is just Stobart Group commandeering these plans, who knows. I think the later if I'm honest.

stab3.5up
28th Feb 2014, 16:40
What market will they pick up from SEN?

Barling Magna
28th Feb 2014, 17:55
Probably the Belfast and Edinburgh routes which easyJet are relinquishing. Other rumoured possibilities are Glasgow, Newcastle, Caen, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Frankfurt.....

BFS BHD
28th Feb 2014, 18:07
I'm guessing if they did start Belfast-Southend it would be BHD and not BFS cause EIN are there?

tws123
28th Feb 2014, 18:12
Yes probably would be BHD. Edinburgh could work too with an ATR equipment. It would seem that Munster/Osnabruck is also highly likely if information at their end is anything to go by. As for others I don't know.

Steviec9
28th Feb 2014, 18:32
Antwerp and Rotterdam would be a bit daft given the frequency both are served from LCY down the road. Unless of course they know something about CityJet's future that we don't.

davidjohnson6
28th Feb 2014, 18:35
Barling - most of your suggested destinations sound quite plausible. However:

Antwerp + Rotterdam - is there room for Southend, when Cityjet have ample capacity at LCY ? Yes, Cityjet are struggling, but would Aer Arann want to take on Cityjet on one of their prime routes ?

Frankfurt - are Aer Arann doing some sort of codeshare with Lufthansa ? With BA and Lufthansa already slugging it out over this route at LCY, Aer Arann without a codeshare would really be picking a big fight

IMHO, I think Aer Arann might do better looking at other places outside the UK that have been suggested on this and the Southend threads which are currently not linked to London, are to the east of the Greenwich meridian, not too far south and are far from airports with a London connection. Assuming local market research shows there is sufficient demand and the relevant airport operators will do a good deal on airport fees for the first year, Dijon, Esbjerg, Gronningen, Kristiansand and Maastricht (or Liege) come to mind.

EDIT - have figured out who posted the list of possible destinations from Southend - it's sxflyer who deserves the credit (I'm just a plagiarist who can recognise a good idea in comparison !)
http://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/474992-aer-lingus-regional-35.html#post8314667

Barling Magna
28th Feb 2014, 22:20
Groningen and Maastricht are particularly good suggestions. Perhaps Munster/Osnabruck too.

Expressflight
1st Mar 2014, 06:57
Does this discussion perhaps deserve a new thread of its own?

It isn't really about Aer Lingus Regional anymore, but an entirely new Aer Arann initiative as I see it.

southside bobby
1st Mar 2014, 08:28
Nah....More a non-new Stobart arm bending/coercion initiative...as I see it.. Regards....The Southside......

fjencl
1st Mar 2014, 13:17
Just wondering when the Press release will be coming out for the New Southend Base with routes, based aircraft numbers and total amounts of new staff starting there.

Soon maybe !!!!!!

bigjim99
15th May 2014, 15:45
EI-FAV has just been hit by a loader in NCL. Won't be going anywhere for a while I wouldn't think as it appears to have buckled the rear loading door.

MKY661
20th Jun 2014, 00:43
Jethro confirmed tonight that EI-BYO has indeed been written off :)

Dontgothere
30th Jun 2014, 22:11
EI-FCZ (c/n 1159) has been pictured undergoing tests as F-WWEX

https://www.flickr.com/photos/florent_peraudeau/14334218440/in/photolist-

Ethiopia
14th Aug 2014, 06:55
Record month for Aer Lingus Regional (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/item/1372-record-month-for-aer-lingus-regional)

Expressflight
14th Aug 2014, 07:05
Those figures make it seem all the more strange that they are coming off the DUB-SEN at the end of October in favour of Flybe/Stobart Air. As far as I can see the replacement service will not offer direct connectivity to US destinations via DUB, which I understood was one of the strengths of that particular route.

MARKEYD
14th Aug 2014, 08:25
Does anyone know if it is game over for the Bournemouth Dublin service which ends now in Sept or are they returning next year to operate a summer only route ?

smallpilot
14th Aug 2014, 13:16
I have been advise re SEN-DUB...

All SEN-DUB flights from Nov-14 will be operated under the Flybe brand.
Aer Lingus will codeshare on the morning flights and connections from SEN to USA will be live and available to book on aerlingus.com from 25-Aug.

Barling Magna
14th Aug 2014, 13:30
That is excellent news.

AerArann62W
16th Aug 2014, 23:08
Great to see the airline doing well
Anyone know is there anything in the pipeline for a WAT-SEN / LTN route to return even under the flybe brand?

Dontgothere
17th Aug 2014, 13:50
The story of EI-BYO has finally come to an end, finally came across some pictures on twitter showing it meeting it's maker.

https://twitter.com/TonyBEng777/status/497452414455545857/photo/1